Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 302 Thursday, 30 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy TMBG: Re: TMBG Font TMBG: Educational They TMBG: Opening Bands TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff TMBG: Is it just me? TMBG: Re: tmbg: Space Ghost TMBG: Re: Teachers on TMBG Re: TMBG: OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what TMBG: Speaking of Brian Dewan.... TMBG: nightgown of the sullen cub TMBG: My life as relates to TMBG TMBG: JMU show Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Re: NON-TMBG: random stuff TMBG: That Guy/Christmas TMBG: where to find the RA interview Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Re: NON-TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Re: TMBG: Re: Teachers on TMBG Re: Re: TMBG: OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what about Lincoln Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy Re: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy TMBG: my god lincoln has self-awareness! TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? TMBG: On line chat TMBG: HA1 I've found a site with the Monopuff font.. Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? TMBG: tourdates (foreign too!) Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Re: TMBG: On line chat Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:01:29 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Message-ID: <3456DF49.666A0531@tmbg.org> Organization: Illin' Illini Subject: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy first of all, I think you brought it up because you thought of the ULTIMATE subject line. :P Second of all: agreed. Plus, on John Henry, when they shout 'SPY!', its not in stereo... and its always time for some good stereo effect. and just as a side note too, if you're gonna make a sort of TMBG-Christmas song compilation, a good thing to include might be _Careless Santa_, even though its a Monopuff song. Augie-Wan wrote: > > I always liked the version of "spy" from the WDTSS single better than the > John Henry version. I was wondering what all of you thought. I also like > the accordion version of "kiss me son of god" better than the violin. I > can't decide on the two "James K Polks", I just knew the Istanbul single > version for so long it's hard to abandon. :( Oh! and for those of you that > have heard it, I like the original version of "everything right is wrong > again" found only on their flexy disk released in 85, better than the > others. What do you think? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 01:06:26 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Message-ID: <3456E072.F7956CB7@tmbg.org> Organization: Illin' Illini Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Font wompedy sent me the font and I use netscape 4.0, which didn't download the font properly. Was this your problem too? -mitch Nick Wolf wrote: > > I got the tmbg font...and....well...I doesn't work. Does anyone out > there have this font in PC format? And if so, does it work? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971028235636.00707388@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 00:16:51 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Educational They > Someone said they gave a mixed TMBG taped to thier teacher. With song >like James K. Polk, Mammal, and Istanbul, it would be wild. > Did the teacher like the tape? I thought if I ever did it, I would >give him/her the tape on the last day of school and run (don't know >why). Twas me. Let me clarify, though: I made a tape that was strictly SCIENCE-oriented (I was *considering* making an all-topic one, but didn't have time.) It was not strictly TMBG, although there were more songs by TMBG than by any other single band on there. On it: (it was a short tape) Mammal, WDTSS? (slow)--TMBG; Entropy--Moxy Fruvous; F = GMm/r^2--Man... or Astroman?; Electricity, Electricity--Goodness; and I think another one that has slipped my mind. I did, in fact, give it to my teacher towards the end of my senior year. It just worked out that way. Yes, she did like it. I gave it to the head of the science department (who happened to be my AP Chem teacher), and she was so overwhelmed that she hugged me. (I got hugged a lot my senior year, even by standoffish types like my Spanish prof.) A friend of mine says that said AP Chem teacher subjected her Chem classes to "Entropy" the year after I left, and that the geekier types in the classes loved it. :) I am fulfulling my mission on earth. :) >-jim kuemmerle, trying to sing like the old shopkeeper from melee >island... Ye gods... how many _Secret of Monkey Island_ fans do we HAVE on this list, anyway? :) >One thing I have found interesting is that the majority of the TMBG fans on >the list/in general seem to like whatever opening band TMBG brings along with >them. IIRC, there was one that everyone hated. Wasn't it... um... "Goatboy" or something? I was iffy on the opener for my first TMBG show (Cub) and WILD for the opener for my second (Brian Dewan!), myself. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair."--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-id: <1187233@lyme.VALLEY.NET> Date: 29 Oct 97 07:11:31 EST From: Robert.Grabill.Jr@VALLEY.NET (Robert Grabill Jr.) Subject: TMBG: Opening Bands Hey, I'm the evil one. I think I'll add my word. My first opening band for TMBG was the cardigans, which was interesting, because it was pre-lovefool. There's nothing like 45 thousand strong booing a buzz band. My second opening band was Candy Butchers, and I can assure all who ask that I definatly would have liked them had I heard them outside a concert. I join the long list of fans who eagerly awaits the realease of an LP. The first band that I really didn't like was Chainsaw Kitten. They kind of reminded me of Counting Crows plus waaaaaaaaaaaay too much monkey juice and a bit of grunge. Now the interesting part: The opener for my 4th and 5th shows was Gravel Pit. I have since bought one of their cds and listen to it quite often. But now, the weird part. I didn't even like them as a result of TMBG concerts. Both times I saw them, their levels were way off, and I couldn't hear anything. Every now and then I could make out a melody, but there is one thing that bothers me. The one song I remember really well isn't even on the cd! Does anyone have their first cd? And is there a song on it that goes "Look what he's done...Look what he's done"? Anyway, my point is, the way we like some bands may be changed slightly by concerts, but I think it's more of a factor of good bands generally being before TMBG. PS: Has anyone ever thought of a connection between Sever Tire Damage and The WPI show on december 13th? It is supposed to be a new song show, and it does come a few weeks after their last concert..... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 05:54:42 -0700 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff Message-ID: <19971029.055446.11870.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! >Oh, Lincoln used to be gardeners. I thought that was amusing too. heee, Parry from Nerf Herder (the #2 best band around) had this huge orchid farm before he got in the band... > The point: Mark Marek is a fan of They Might Be Giants, so he said >"John Linnell, from They Might Be Giants, is a fan of Brian Dewan, who >plays an electric zither, so I'll put in a sound of Brian Dewan playing >a zither", which sounded like a good idea. was it just the hallucinogenic drugs again, or did i hear that BD was JL's roommate for a while in there... > Did the teacher like the tape? I thought if I ever did it, I would >give him/her the tape on the last day of school and run i actually thought about making a tape for my AP history teacher until one day (when i was actually awake) i hear him say "THey might be one-hit wonders" (yes it was in regards to TMBG) and at that point i thot it wouldn't be wise... if you do make a tape for them you should put: -I''m Just a bill (i'd actually give that to your government teacher but...) by Deluxx Folk Implosion - No More Kings by Pavement -The shot heard round the world by ween all of which can be found on the SHR:R! cd take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971029094616.0069dc68@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:46:16 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Is it just me? I tried several e-mail clients, and all of them locked up when checking mail...one particular message from Justin Smith was causing it this morning. Is it my mail server or what? Any suggestions on what I can do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:40:11 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg: Space Ghost Message-ID: >Linnell actually did an instrumental version of NOKMP specifically for >Cartoon Planet. No one seemed to mention that they also used to play an instumental End of the Tour over the end credits.. -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:49:45 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: Re: Teachers on TMBG Message-id: <34575B18.1843@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 Heh hehe, it's funny that you should mention making tapes of TMBG for teachers.... I'm currently making a tape of TMBG for my math prof. This is only because I'm doing a paper on Them for the class and I figured he should hear what I'm talking about.... ~Sarah "I am what I am and that's All I am..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971029075849.00687fa0@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:58:49 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what Jack wrote: >Come on, the >lyrics were absolutely awful: > > "stop stop stop stop stop stop stop" Just a comment: I find that a lot of lyrics look stupider than they sound. Recognize this? "Kill kill kill kill kill me now" Or how about: "Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, come on, please please me oh yeah" So I usually don't consider stand-alone lyrics as evidence of bad lyrics. Then again, I've never heard Lincoln; for all I know, the words just sound bad in the song. But I guess I'd have to hear it for myself. --LVJeff, who spent some time at the Zu recently... ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3457616B.F72@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:16:43 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Speaking of Brian Dewan.... Hi everyone! It's the resident blue haired "let's talk about other bands" girl, spreading love, joy and .... Brian Dewan. That's right... Brian Dewan will be playing on my live music show on Wednesday, November 19th. Anyone who's in the Boston area and wants to hear this, make friends with an Emerson student quick. It'll only be broadcast on the campus. It'll be fun, electric zithers will be everywhere!!! Whoo-hoo! Amanda "Biiiiiirrrrdd....oh. I forgot my name again." ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710291612.AA13453@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: nightgown of the sullen cub Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:12:51 -0500 (EST) > Can someone tell me what this book is about? Does it have any kind of plot or > is it one of those random picture books with a lot of vapid captions like > "Bunnies eat grass. Bunnies hop around. I like bunnies!" ? It's about banana flavored chocolate drops that run around and pull your pants down, it really is frigtening. > > >> > Does anyone know if the rest of Cub's music is as cool as NYC? I'm > >> > >> *I* think it is.... it's kind of sad, actually, that a lot of TMBG fans > >> who saw them open for TMBG tried to boo them off stage. They're really > >> good, but what can you do when people are blind and intolerant, eh? > > > >Stab them in the eyes? > > I think this would be a very appropriate response! (Well, you could > justPeople who heckle opening bands really frost my shorts. Especially when > the bands are *good*, like cub. Except GOATBOY! Oh no say it ain't so! They must have bribed the 9:30 Club bigtime to let them open. That is without a doubt the worst band of all time, no contest. Matt - Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710291717.RAA04831@renko.ucs.ed.ac.uk> From: "Scott Morris" <9736349@coll.sms.ed.ac.uk> Organization: Student Mail Service Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:15:13 +0000 Subject: TMBG: My life as relates to TMBG Greetings. Seeing as I'm new to this list and I don't want to lurk around forever, I thought I'd better introduce myself. In brief. I am from Scotland. I am a TMBG fan. (Duuuhh). I am trying to get as much stuff as I can, but availability is somewhat limited in Edinburgh. I occasionally attend Edinburgh University, where I am attempting to study the fascinating world of Chemical Engineering. My second-hand copy of the first album is so badly scratched I haven't heard She's An Angel. I haven't seen Them live. If anyone is willing to put up the cash to get me to America, I will remedy this appalling state of affairs. That's probably more than you ever cared to know about me, and it's all I care to write just now. Scott "Is it obligatory to write something in here?" Morris -"When I was a kid, I used to spend a lot of time -in the garden with my stepladder. Not my real -ladder, my stepladder." Harry Hill - S_Morris-1@sms.ed.ac.uk ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710291829.NAA03564@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> From: Greg Nicholson Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 13:28:55 EST Subject: TMBG: JMU show How does one go about obtaining tickets for the Harrisonburg (JMU) show? Do you think it's safe to show up and get tickets at the door, or is it better to get them in advance? Greg ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:46:01 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: random stuff Message-ID: <19971029.145046.4398.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Another good song to put on is The Shot Heard Round the World by ween! OK... just kidding.. and thanks for all the help on the Christmas album everyone actually a good song by Ween is "Freedom of '76" not sure which album it's on... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 05:54:42 -0700 tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) writes: >i actually thought about making a tape for my AP history teacher until >one day (when i was actually awake) i hear him say "THey might be >one-hit wonders" (yes it was in regards to TMBG) and at that point i >thot it wouldn't be wise... >if you do make a tape for them you should put: >-I''m Just a bill (i'd actually give that to your government teacher >but...) by Deluxx Folk Implosion >- No More Kings by Pavement >-The shot heard round the world by ween >all of which can be found on the SHR:R! cd > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:38:14 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Message-ID: <19971029.145046.4398.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Sorry for the TOTALLY Non-TMBG post.. but I got a bootleg with Frank Black Live on it as filler and there is a song called Rockin' I Am... what are thelyrics to the chorus?? does ANYONE know??? it sounds like "I survokinvy and rockin' I am..." it also has a group called the Minus Fives on it... can someone give m e background on these guys? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) AKA the guy who doesn't know why he gets Frank Black mixed up with Zappa... On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:56:33 -0500 Amanda Nichols writes: >Hey everyone-- <> >I >would love to see Frank Black as well, but the difference with Lincoln >and Frankie is that: > Frank's been around for a while (Pixies) > Frank has a strong enough following to do his own tours > whereas Lincoln is very new and needs to pull in listeners from >another >crowd. This is how Soul Coughing started out and now they were just >on >the HORDE tour. >> > They also played too damn long for an opening act. > Well, when you don't like stuff it seems to go by a lot slower. I've >also found that nowadays the "opener" gets almost as much time as the >headliner at clubs (not at the big ole arenas n stuff). > My little thingy for the day- > Amanda > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:11:33 -0800 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: random stuff Message-id: <3457C2A5.7254@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > Another good song to put on is The Shot Heard Round the World by ween! > OK... just kidding.. and thanks for all the help on the Christmas album > everyone No problem. We love helping out all we can because we are a loving list. Yay! Oh, and as far as that Christmas album goes, did anyone recommend you to put Careless Santa on there? It's a Monopuff song, but still kinda Christmasy... > actually a good song by Ween is "Freedom of '76" not sure which album > it's on... Or, if you are looking for Ween stuff, Freedo... nevermind. I'm not even gonna start that again. I'm still doing the old one... -Chad "If I had a Leffel, I'd Leffel in the morning" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:33:53 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: That Guy/Christmas Message-ID: Well, when that guy spoke of Christmas albums, it brought something to mind. I remembered something that I don't remember anybody else posting about, so I thought I'd share my unique knowledge. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Mono Puff: Careless Santa as a Christmas song. I mean, it's Mono Puff, sure, but it has a Christmas theme to it, so I thought it would be appropriate. (Far, a. Distant; separated by a wide space; hence, remote as regards wishes, feelings, affections; more distant of the two; applied to the right side of a horse. Too, adv. Over; more than enough; denoting excess...). RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971029155001.006c2a38@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:50:01 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: where to find the RA interview www.tongue-zine.com Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34579FFF.368C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:43:53 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Hello-- I don't know the Frank Black lyrics, but I know a little something on the Minus Five. They're a side project of Scott McConahey (sp?), Jeff Ament (I believe) and some random members of REM (not Stipe). They started out recording solely on flan's Hello CD of the MOnth, but I think they may be on an indie label now. Say, train...what's your address? I need it to stalk you uh...I mean, send you the acoustic break. I think I had it at one time but I can't seem to find it. :^) Amanda ------------------------------ From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:08:54 -0500 Message-ID: <01bce4ae$dd5e04a0$c8c7f6ce@p60.visi.net> From: mr.train@juno.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wednesday, October 29, 1997 3:04 PM Subject: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics >Sorry for the TOTALLY Non-TMBG post.. but I got a bootleg with Frank >Black Live on it as filler and there is a song called Rockin' I Am... >what are thelyrics to the chorus?? does ANYONE know??? it sounds like "I >survokinvy and rockin' I am..." it also has a group called the Minus >Fives on it... can someone give m e background on these guys? Don't know about the minus fives, but that song is "Sir Rock-a-bye", off the Frank Black Hello CD, and his full CD, Teenager of the Year. Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "If god had wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs?"--Marvin Kitman, GOP '60 presidential candidate [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/x-vcard)] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:19:12 -0800 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Message-id: <3457D280.4628@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Train sez: >Sorry for the TOTALLY Non-TMBG post.. but I got a bootleg with Frank >Black Live on it as filler and there is a song called Rockin' I Am... >what are thelyrics to the chorus?? does ANYONE know??? it sounds like "I >survokinvy and rockin' I am..." The lyrics there are: I'm Sir Rockaby And rockin' I am And the song in question would be Sir Rockaby off of Teenager of the Year... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:30:47 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Teachers on TMBG Message-ID: On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Sarah wrote: > Heh hehe, it's funny that you should mention making tapes of TMBG for > teachers.... I'm currently making a tape of TMBG for my math prof. This > is only because I'm doing a paper on Them for the class and I figured he > should hear what I'm talking about.... you're doing a paper on Them for your math class?? what's it about? -jim kuemmerle, who's extremely curious in part because his sweetie is a math/physics double major... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 soon to be updated, i swear!! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:37:31 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what about Lincoln Message-ID: > To their credit, though, >Lincoln's CD sounds slightly better than their live show. youre nuts! actually, youre probably not nuts...this would just be one fo those oh-so-common differences of opinions. but in my world, youre nuts. i thought their live show was far superior to their album. the album sounds like allt eh songs have been run through the 'give-a-band-one-generic-sound' machine. just my thought cuz in my world, im not nuts kevin "confucious say: 'man with hand in pocket all day not crazy, just feeling nuts.'" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3457B077.125F@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:53:59 -0800 From: Flyn Subject: Re: TMBG: Frank Black Lyics Amanda Nichols wrote: > > Hello-- > I don't know the Frank Black lyrics, but I know a little something on > the Minus Five. They're a side project of Scott McConahey (sp?), Jeff > Ament (I believe) and some random members of REM (not Stipe). They > started out recording solely on flan's Hello CD of the MOnth, but I > think they may be on an indie label now. It's Scott McCaughey (pronounced McCoy) of the Young Fresh Fellows, Peter Buck from REM, and Ken Stringfellow and Jon Auer from my Other favorite musical duo, The Posies. I don't think Jeff Ament is part of it. Neither the Minus Five or The Posies are anything like TMBG, and I find the Minus Five a little lacking in energy, but if anyone is interested in power pop, the Posies are about as good as it gets. Plus, since Geffen dropped them, all there albums are selling for like five bucks now. It's good stuff. -Flyn ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 16:50:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy Message-ID: <19971029.170234.10382.2.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) I don't agree with your thoughts on Spy on John Henry. I felt that the version was cool, but it was lacking. As for Jim Polk, I guess I'd have to say the one on Istanbul. Andy "The copycat" Nichols ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3457B983.5854@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:32:35 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy > I don't agree with your thoughts on Spy on John Henry. I felt that the > version was cool, but it was lacking. I think that "spy" is hard to listen to recorded. Besides, people will look at you funny when you try to sing to Flans' improv line midway through. :^) As for Jim Polk, I guess I'd have > to say the one on Istanbul. Not Constantinople? ..and if anyone was wondering, yes, Andy and I are related. we're sick like that! Amanda "Cher vs. They Might Be Giants. What do you think?" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:25:38 -0500 Subject: TMBG: my god lincoln has self-awareness! Message-ID: <19971029.182548.6614.0.MokonaBoopBoop@juno.com> From: mokonaboopboop@juno.com (Ranma Saotome) Well, we all have different opinions on Lincoln. Some people don't like them at all. Someone mentioned their CD is slightly better than their live show. In my opinion, live was better, but the CD gets addictive. >What the hell? They kick ass, I didn't have a chance to see them live when >they came to Washington and opened for TMBG, but a couple of friends did. >They went out and got the CD the next day. I took the advice they gave me, >and I got it too. In my opinion, they could be the next TMBG. I think many people went out and bought the CD the next day. I think this is next day syndrome. If no one else has diagnosed this yet, let me be the first. It seems that when you see a band you love and the opening band kicks ass too, you go out and buy their album (usually a debut album) the next day, hence the name NEXT DAY SYNDROME. Who thinks I should become a doctor? Oh, and if you liked that idea, consider this..... The confetti cannon shoots out confetti, hence the name CONFETTI CANNON. These mysteries and more...... from Kim, The Globular Herphrodite Seeker We will not start a flame war over Lincoln. No, we will not. >One thing I have found interesting is that the majority of the TMBG fans on >the list/in general seem to like whatever opening band TMBG brings along with >them. People liked Lincoln, Cub, Gravel Pit to some extent, Frank Black, >Soul Coughing, Brian Dewan, You Were Spiralling, Young Fresh Fellows, and >pretty much all the bands that toured with TMBG for a legnth of time. The majority, yet not all. This is interesting. Are we not united by the common They? If not, why not? Okay, more Lincoln. If you like the song Fire Water Burn by The Bloodhound Gang... then you might like the song Basketball by Lincoln. But avoid it at all costs if you don't like whiney voices. -Kimicee ------------------------ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/7534 Bishounen Hunter T =w= #2872 =rna= #11 "We are all the same person trying to shake hands with ourself" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:50:24 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Message-ID: <3457CBC0.3D08C439@tmbg.org> Organization: Illin' Illini Subject: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy funny... all the posts in this thread said that the john henry version was not-as-good. How is what you said disagreeing? :) Andrew Nichols wrote: > > I don't agree with your thoughts on Spy on John Henry. I felt that the > version was cool, but it was lacking. As for Jim Polk, I guess I'd have > to say the one on Istanbul. > > Andy "The copycat" Nichols ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345930BD.5019@usa.net> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:13:33 -0800 From: Nathan Turner I Organization: The Asylum Subject: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I use? Let me know what you think. Later Nathan -- "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." --A. Whitney Brown ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3457DBBD.34233006@nmt.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:58:37 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: On line chat Are They going to be in the People chat room, or the Cafe chat room tomorrow? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710300127.TAA13840@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: HA1 I've found a site with the Monopuff font.. Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:12:33 -0600 Well, this ISN'T the site where I first found it, but while randomly perusing I found it on this sitte http://www.bg-online.co.yu/xtra/fonts/outline/ .although I'm sure tht everyone who wanted one got it from me already! ^_^ Mike "Arwen... Can I use it??" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710300126.TAA13947@dfw-ix11.ix.netcom.com> From: "Mike Bobbick" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:22:52 -0500 I was looking at the Stompbox interps. on TMBG.org. A lot of people seem to feel different about it, if you think, it does have many different interpetations if you look at it. Maybe that would be an easy one for you, unless you think you could do better. -Mike mikeman4@ix.netcom.com ---------- > From: Nathan Turner I > To: TMBG Mailing List > Subject: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? > Date: Thursday, October 30, 1997 8:13 PM > > OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual > analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work > and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use > songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I > use? Let me know what you think. > > Later > > Nathan > -- > "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian > because I hate plants." > --A. Whitney Brown ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34581EA4.5352@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:44:04 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Nathan Turner I wrote: > > OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual > analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work > and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use > songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I > use? Let me know what you think. Use one that doesn't have a very obvious meaning (in other words, don't do "Why Does the Sun Shine?"), but that you already have some idea of what it might mean. If you haven't yet, you might want to check other people's interpretations of TMBG songs at www.tmbg.org, if see if any of them inspire you. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:08:28 -0500 (EST) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Nathan Turner I wrote: > OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual > analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work > and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use > songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I > use? Let me know what you think. I PaIindrome I? I should be allowed to think strikes me as a good one... -ellen g > Later > > Nathan > -- > "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian > because I hate plants." > --A. Whitney Brown > "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710300241.UAA15149@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:26:39 -0600 ---------- > From: stella > To: Nathan Turner I > On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Nathan Turner I wrote: > > > OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual > > analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work > > and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use > > songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I > > use? Let me know what you think. > > I PaIindrome I?... Ooh! The non-A18 version woul be great for that! Mike "somehing just fell on my head" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:29:22 -0700 Subject: TMBG: tourdates (foreign too!) Message-ID: <19971029.194920.11870.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! i'm here with yet another (quit bugging me people!) update... anyways, i must object to the fact that they are going to foreign countries before they come anywhere near me but... ah well! November 2nd: * James Madison University* - Harrisonburg, VA - (w/ Lincoln) November 6th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 8th: *Trees* - Dallas, TX - 17+ November 9th: *Numbers* - Houston, TX - All Ages November 10th: *White Rabbit* - San Antonio, TX - All Ages November 11th: *Texas Union Ballroom* - Austin, TX November 13th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 14th: *Marshall Auditorium* - HAverford, PA - (w/ Lincoln) November 20th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 21st: *Spectrum Niteclub* - Rochester, NY November 22nd: *Lee's Palace* - Toronto, ONT - Canada November 27th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 13th: *Worcester Polytechnic Institute* - Worcester, MA - (w/ Lincoln) take it easy, JOrdaN (the purple crackberry!) http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:08:48 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Nathan Turner I wrote: > OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual > analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work > and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use > songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I > use? Let me know what you think. well, i did 'cage and aquarium' for my ap senior english class in high school (1993), but STEAL MY PAPER AND I'LL PERSONALLY HUNT YOU DOWN AS I WOULD HUNT THE WILD WOOD SWINE... (ahem.) sorry about that. i think lots of Their songs would work very well for this. i'm personally fond of 'nightgown of the sullen moon' and 'stormy pinkness' as per recent threads, but, hmm... i think i tend to gravitate toward the more cryptic songs. (i.e., not 'racist friend'.) how about 'birds fly' or 'end of the tour' or 'turn around' or 'i palindrome i' or 'siftin'... (just kidding about 'siftin'.) how about 'pencil rain' or 'ana ng' or 'where your eyes don't go' or -- OOH! OOH! do 'i hope that i get old before i die'!! anyway, be sure and post your paper to the list when you're done! :) -jim kuemmerle, who feels like it's been a lot more than four years since he wrote his cage & aquarium paper, but oh well -- he's been busy. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 soon to be updated, i swear!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 00:19:28 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: On line chat Message-ID: <19971030.001928.3446.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:58:37 -0700 Nick Wolf writes: >Are They going to be in the People chat room, or the Cafe chat room >tomorrow? Actually, last week there was a new room called TMBG which I am sure they will make again for the chat. Not that I got there on time for the chat last week... My mom seems to think since she pays the phone bill she gets to use it whenever she wants... I indulged her THIS time! But I will take control tomorrow!!! No one can stop me, BECAUSE I AM... being too dramatic and drawing this message out way to long... Goodbye Jeff " Taking Prozac is fun and educational" Parker ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:12:23 +1100 From: slbrown@tassie.net.au (Brownie) Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the meaning of all this? >>Nathan Turner I wrote: >>> >>> OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual >>> analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work >>> and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use >>> songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I >>> use? Let me know what you think. > Depends on what sort of analysis you're doing- I'm working on a freudian analysis of Particle Man at the Mo(as a study avoidance technique).. but if your just looking at the text itself without any theory attached (as I guess "Textual analysis" would suggest) I'd suggest a song with lots of devices (metaphor, onomatopoea (sorry about the spelling- we english majors aren't the same since spell checks were invented!!) and other figurative language) Perhaps sleeping in the flowers or dinnerbell... Brownie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-302 ******************************