Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-303 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 303 Friday, 31 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG?: Scot tmbg fan. TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Fw: TMBG: not the only ones... Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Re: SEMI-TMBG: Opening Acts Re: TMBG: Educational They Re: TMBG: Educational They NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 TMBG: They in class TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... NON-TMBG: Virgin Megastore Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... TMBG: Rochester TMBG show -- MOVED Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... NON-TMBG: I've got a CD-R! TMBG: The People on-line chat TMBG: To the guy who told us about uncook.exe TMBG: chat thing.... Re: TMBG: chat thing.... Re: TMBG: The People on-line chat Re: TMBG: The People on-line chat TMBG: where did They get lost... TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: where did They get lost... Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... TMBG: Dr. Worm Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 01:26:09 -0600 (CST) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: TMBG: TMBG?: Scot tmbg fan. Message-ID: On Wed, 29 Oct, Scott Morris wrote: > I am from Scotland. I am a TMBG fan. (Duuuhh). I am trying [...] > haven't heard She's An Angel. I haven't seen Them live. If anyone is > willing to put up the cash to get me to America, I will remedy this > appalling state of affairs. Right. I'll make you a deal. Fly me over to the UK so I can see Gary Numan, and I'll certainly reciprocate in kind. cheers, c "no lame quotes in my name" b Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Hoban, Patrick" Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:05:43 -0500 I really can not possibly see how all of you can talk about opening bands and not remember Soul Coughing who opened for TMBG back in 1992(?), I believe. Anyway it seems like you have mentioned all the good bands that have toured with TMBG but Soul Coughing was not one of them. In fact I think that Soul Coughing was one of the biggest disasters that I ever saw as an opening band. They played for way too long and really seemed to take away from the whole mood of the show. Also if you are talking about how bands tour as opening acts only because they are not known well enough then why the hell did TMBG open for Hootie and The Blowfish last year in Louisville (the last show I saw). You would think that TMBG would realize that this could only hurt their fans enjoyment of the show and it did because they only played for less than an hour. I can only hope that this spring they come back as a headlining act and bring a better band than Soul Coughing. Pat "Does everyone have to a statement here" Hoban ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: not the only ones... Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:25:23 -0500 Message-Id: <16261060900310@dancingink.com> > I really can not possibly see how all of you can talk > about opening bands and not remember Soul Coughing who opened for TMBG > back in 1992(?), I believe. Anyway it seems like you have mentioned all > the good bands that have toured with TMBG but Soul Coughing was not one > of them. Actually, the only two times I saw them, the opening bands were 1) Victoria's Real Secret and 2) Ivy. I thought VRS was ok but I think they were a local band from South Bend, Indiana. Nothing to talk too much about. Ivy I thought was really good. They didn't belong in front of TMBG but out of that context, I really liked them alot. I couldn't find any albums locally, but I actually just got there brand new release yesterday. I'm listening to it right now. I LIKE! AugieWan ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:33:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971030112228_2036039395@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Hello 41- << Anyway it seems like you have mentioned all the good bands that have toured with TMBG but Soul Coughing was not one of them. In fact I think that Soul Coughing was one of the biggest disasters that I ever saw as an opening band.>> I have to completley disagree with this. Soul Coughing is one of the most innovative bands out there today. Their sound is rivaled by nobody, and M. Doughty's lyrics are amazing. Ruby Vroom is one of my top 5 albums, and Irrisistible Bliss is just behind. I saw Soul Coughing open for TMBG and was thoroughly impressed, this coming from someone who doesn't generally like TMBG's opening bands. I have seen them several times, most recently at the D.C. Horde Fest, where they played first on the mainstage mostly to a bunch of allready drunk, old Neil Young fans who really got into them. Soul Coughing is a great band thats live performances live up to their albums. <> I am going to disagree with this too. Though Hootie and the Blowfish is not my favorite band, and TMBG doesn't like opening much, their motives were good. TMBG played in a lot of places that they don't go to very often because of a small fan base, and played huge domes/stadiums. I'm sure that the few TMBG fans in Fargo were very happy to see TMBG. I know of people who went to the Hootie shows to see TMBG and had a great time. I also Hootie fans (such as my step-brother) who thought Hootie was really boring on stage and became a TMBG fan from seeing them live. Yes, he only has Flood and Lincoln, but that's a good start from just seeing a band open once. I also have videos of TMBG opening for Hootie, and the shows were not flops. The Spy improvs were great, because they'd bring many different musicians, either from Hootie or other bands to play with them, and was a lot of fun to watch. I don't belive TMBG opening for Hootie was a bad idea, or poorly executed. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:50:41 -0800 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: Opening Acts Message-id: <3458E511.1EFF@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Hoban, Patrick wrote: > Also if you are talking about how bands tour as opening > acts only because they are not known well enough then why the hell did > TMBG open for Hootie and The Blowfish last year in Louisville (the last > show I saw). You would think that TMBG would realize that this could > only hurt their fans enjoyment of the show and it did because they only > played for less than an hour. I can only hope that this spring they > come back as a headlining act and bring a better band than Soul > Coughing. Well, as much as we love to believe that the Johns perform for us, it is also their job. Opening for a larger band can get some good exposure no matter what the circumstances. Even if the crowds don't seem similar. I'm sure TMBG got some new fans from the Hootie audience. Maybe the Hootie and the Blowfish crowd isn't what you'd normally see as TMBG crowds, but who's to say they can't overlap some. Someone books TMBG. Who that is, I don't know. If the Johns had their way, I'm sure they would have had Hootie opening for them at that show. But you get what your booking agent can get for you and play for as long as the venue will let you. More or less, (using Lincoln as an example), Lincoln is to TMBG as TMBG is to Hootie and the Blowfish as far as mainstream music goes. Now, each of us needs to decide which ones we like and which ones we don't and support the ones we like in any way we can no matter what their role is. Personally, TMBG has one of the larger followings of bands I really like. I am very greatful that TMBG doesn't play stadiums and large theatre style venues. There are tiers in music (watch out, flamboyant unnecessary generalization alert). There are mainstream bands that play stadiums and large concert halls that you wait for a year to come back to your place. And there are bands that open for those stadium bands that want to be stadium bands, but couldn't fill a stadium. There are bands that are semi-big, but choose not to open for those big bands because they don't want to be stadium bands. They play larger clubs and some concert style places. I'd put TMBG in this category. Then there are those that open for them. Some of the more talented up and coming bands are here and that is why a lot of times you love who opens up for TMBG. And it keeps going on down to the local scene really. My favorite band lives in the next down category. I could see Moxy Fruvous opening for bands like TMBG. But Fruvous has chosen to be a headlining group and play bars and dinner theatre settings and festivals. They come out after the gig and talk with the fans. They ask the fans to spread the word, because they don't get the exposure they would be receiving from opening for larger bands. And you know what? I've heard some really great bands opening or co-billed with Fruvous. Johny Vegas, Laura Love, and the Nields pop instantly to mind as good groups that I found through Fruvous. Well, maybe after TMBG opened for Hootie, some people "found" TMBG through Hootie... Sorry for the long categorization of something completely uncategorizable. As I hit the send button I'm hoping for this to be semi-cohesive... --Chad "Yes, Virginia, there is a Careless Santa Claus" Maloney -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:15:51 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971030121423_-789270329@mrin40.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Educational They In a message dated 10/29/97 2:23:13 AM, you wrote: <> Look out! There's a three-headed monkey behind you! Tim "Rollin' in the fecal matter" Schaefer And the monkey said... ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:16:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971030121423_-789270329@mrin40.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Educational They In a message dated 10/29/97 2:23:13 AM, you wrote: <> Look out! There's a three-headed monkey behind you! Tim "Rollin' in the fecal matter" Schaefer And the monkey said... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:46:53 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 Oilcan1045@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 10/29/97 2:23:13 AM, you wrote: > > < anyway? :)>> > > Look out! There's a three-headed monkey behind you! like we're gonna fall for THAT one again. hmph. -jim kuemmerle, wearing a very large citrus fruit on his head. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ soon to be updated, i swear! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710301842.AA16843@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 13:42:01 -0500 (EST) > I really can not possibly see how all of you can talk > about opening bands and not remember Soul Coughing who opened for TMBG > back in 1992(?), I believe. Anyway it seems like you have mentioned all > the good bands that have toured with TMBG but Soul Coughing was not one > of them. In fact I think that Soul Coughing was one of the biggest > disasters that I ever saw as an opening band. They played for way too > long and really seemed to take away from the whole mood of the show. > Also if you are talking about how bands tour as opening > acts only because they are not known well enough then why the hell did > TMBG open for Hootie and The Blowfish last year in Louisville (the last > show I saw). You would think that TMBG would realize that this could > only hurt their fans enjoyment of the show and it did because they only > played for less than an hour. I can only hope that this spring they > come back as a headlining act and bring a better band than Soul > Coughing. But TMBG is not as well known as you may think, there are lots of people who have not heard of them or only know 1 or 2 songs. In the music biz, you have to get more recognition and more sales to make money. It was their opportunity to be see by hundreds of thousands of people because all of those (well most of them) were Hootie & the Blowfish fans. Their hope is to be remembered by these people so that they would go buy CDs by TMBG. They only played for less than an hour because they are an opening bad and are *MUCH* less known than Hootie & the Blowfish. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971030111631.00709a90@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:17:37 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: They in class >> OK... just kidding.. and thanks for all the help on the Christmas album >> everyone Hey, no problem! If you're willing to go beyond TMBG, I'd put "The Night Santa Went Crazy" and "Christmas at Ground Zero", both by Weird Al, and, naturally, "Careless Santa," by Mono Puff. :) >you're doing a paper on Them for your math class?? what's it about? Yes, do tell! I'm curious myself. >"Cher vs. They Might Be Giants. What do you think?" - John Linnell GRUDGE MATCH!!! Ten million bucks on TMBG!! >OK, here's the situation. In my English 115 class we're doing a textual >analysis assignment. We're supposed to take some sort of literary work >and analyze it or something. Anyway, my teacher said that we could use >songs as the subject. So, the question is, which Giant song should I >use? Let me know what you think. Hmm. *thinks* The classic overanalyzed TMBG song seems to be Particle Man, but I'd eschew that path. I think I'd pick one of these: Ana Ng The End Of The Tour Weep Day (ok, long shot) And, if I may reveal my allegiances to a band other than TMBG, the Eddie From Ohio song "The Porter's Tale" just begs to be compared to the Canterbury Tales, yielding an interesting message about modern pilgrimages and modern sainthood. --nicole twn *** "I didn't write the words you hear me singing. I didn't sing the line before this one."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <7e2092b1.3458f20e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:46:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) possibly destroying my ears forever, I did this all for you (& that guy that made a bet they weren't real lyrics to the bridge a while back, well, I listened carefully)... I'm not sure which version this is where They sing this, but it's pretty cool... When I get hit in the head i can't really (he mumbles the next couple words) When I give the signal My friend....will play the solo (I suspect those 2 lines he made up on the spot) (Solo Bit is here, nothing is said, than he resumes singing) Someday somebody else will maybe Call me by my stage name they will Call me Doctor Worm (last verse) Alright, now it's time for whichever one of you made that bet earlier to confess that the bridge has lyrics & haha! What do I get out of the bet? Jason (hehehe) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:56:12 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Message-id: <3458F46C.3BA7@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 Yes, I'm doing a MATH paper on TMBG. See, I'm in this math class that relates stuff like poetry and music to math. We have to write a term paper on ANY topic we can relate to math, So I'm doing the music/lyrics of TMBG........ cool, eh? ~Sarah PS- if any one has any ideas I might be able to use I'd love to hear 'em! "'Son I am Able,' she said, 'though you scare me.' 'Watch,' said I 'beloved,' I said, 'Watch me scare you though.' said she, 'Able am I Son.'" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3458F883.6318@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:13:40 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-302 Hey there, > I really can not possibly see how all of you can talk > about opening bands and not remember Soul Coughing who opened for TMBG > back in 1992(?), I believe. Anyway it seems like you have mentioned all > the good bands that have toured with TMBG but Soul Coughing was not >one of them. Hey!! I mentioned them!! I always mention Soul Coughing; it's almost obligatory for me b/c my friend runs their unofficial site at http://www.wbr.com/soulcoughing ... but that's not a plug, oh no. >In fact I think that Soul Coughing was one of the biggest > disasters that I ever saw as an opening band. You haven't heard about Chainsaw Kittens from Matt James or Rob Plass then, huh? Let's not even talk about Goatboy. > They played for way too long and really seemed to take away from the >whole mood of the show. I think I mentioned once before that when you *really* want to see a band and you have to wait through an opening act they seem to play for a period of time that resembles infinity. It could be the Rolling Stones opening, but if they're not who you're there to see, they're on stage too long. About the Hootie thing (which personally baffles me, but oh well)...the reason why any band electd to open for someone else is to expose the main act's fans to the opener's music. That's how you hear of new bands, for the most part. I'll use Brian Dewan as an example. If he were to play at a club near you all by his lonesome, previous to playing with TMBG, would you go to see him? More than likely, you'd say, "Brian Who?" >I can only hope that this spring they > come back as a headlining act and bring a better band than Soul > Coughing. You won't have to worry about SC opening for TMBG. They're headliners all by themselves now because the Johns gave them a chance. I suggest you hear some of their recorded stuff and then make a decision 'bout the cough. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971030163149.006a49c8@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:31:49 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Easy! "Till My Head Falls Off"! 87 advil in the bottle - 47 that he ate = 10 left. Where are they? TTYL, -Adam At 03:56 PM 10/30/97 -0500, you wrote: >Yes, I'm doing a MATH paper on TMBG. See, I'm in this math class that >relates stuff like poetry and music to math. We have to write a term >paper on ANY topic we can relate to math, So I'm doing the music/lyrics >of TMBG........ cool, eh? > >~Sarah > >PS- if any one has any ideas I might be able to use I'd love to hear >'em! > >"'Son I am Able,' she said, 'though you scare me.' 'Watch,' said I >'beloved,' I said, 'Watch me scare you though.' said she, 'Able am I >Son.'" > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710302146.AA16942@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Virgin Megastore Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:46:55 -0500 (EST) Does anyone know if there is a Virgin Megastore in the Washington, DC area? Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 16:55:12 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Message-Id: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > Easy! "Till My Head Falls Off"! 87 advil in the bottle - 47 that he ate = > 10 left. Where are they? > I think that's 30 left - where are the other ten? But you should probably tip the bottle over and count the advil up again. Take it easy, Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:05:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971030170507_-1795576214@mrin40.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Rochester TMBG show -- MOVED The show scheduled for 11/21 in Rochester @ the Spectrum has been moved to Water Street Music Hall.:) :) :) I just read this in the paper, guess the Spectrum got closed for not meeting the fire standards or something. sarah ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710302204.AA16966@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:04:18 -0500 (EST) > On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > > Easy! "Till My Head Falls Off"! 87 advil in the bottle - 47 that he ate = > > 10 left. Where are they? > > > I think that's 30 left - where are the other ten? But you should probably > tip the bottle over and count the advil up again. > > Take it easy, > Wubba I think that's 84 advil in the bottle, there's 30 left, I ate 47, so what happened to the other 10? Just to clear that up ;) You'd probably have to write about overdosing on coffee and how math majors are up studying all night drinking coffee. You could change the subject from math to music suspiciously and mess up everyone's concentration. Anyway, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:34:49 -0500 Subject: Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Message-ID: <19971030.174008.4846.5.Mr.Train@juno.com> COUNT ME IN!!!! "I'll take this key right to the tribe... and I won't use it or anything!" Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) The guy who went crazy not 5 min. ago because he couldn't find that DAMN pirate wheel... On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:46:53 -0700 (MST) J Kuemmerle writes: >On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 Oilcan1045@aol.com wrote: > >> In a message dated 10/29/97 2:23:13 AM, you wrote: >> >> <this list, >> anyway? :)>> >> >> Look out! There's a three-headed monkey behind you! > >like we're gonna fall for THAT one again. hmph. > >-jim kuemmerle, wearing a very large citrus fruit on his head. > >j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu >http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ >soon to be updated, i swear! > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:48:34 -0500 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <34591CD2.521D@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Happyfroot wrote: > > possibly destroying my ears forever, I did this all for you (& that guy that > made a bet they weren't real lyrics to the bridge a while back, well, I > listened carefully)... > I'm not sure which version this is where They sing this, but it's pretty > cool... > When I get hit in the head > i can't really (he mumbles the next couple words) > When I give the signal > My friend....will play the solo (I suspect those 2 lines he made up on the > spot) > (Solo Bit is here, nothing is said, than he resumes singing) > Someday somebody else will maybe > Call me by my stage name they will > Call me Doctor Worm > (last verse) > > Alright, now it's time for whichever one of you made that bet earlier to > confess that the bridge has lyrics & haha! What do I get out of the bet? > > Jason (hehehe) Also, the first "I'm not a real Doctor..." bit is replaced with "I'll leave the door unlocked 'cause I can hear the bell"... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:15:57 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: spy vs. spy Message-ID: <19971030.173040.3566.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:50:24 -0600 Mitch Fishman writes: >funny... all the posts in this thread said that the john henry version >was >not-as-good. How is what you said disagreeing? :) > I meant the one on WDTSS because someone said they liked that one better. Sorry if I caused anyone any loss of braincells. Andy Nichols A.K.A "Slow-fall" "That's when I have to lie down" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:59:12 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Message-Id: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > > > > Easy! "Till My Head Falls Off"! 87 advil in the bottle - 47 that he ate = > > > 10 left. Where are they? > > > > > I think that's 30 left - where are the other ten? But you should probably > > tip the bottle over and count the advil up again. > > > I think that's 84 advil in the bottle, there's 30 left, I ate 47, so > what happened to the other 10? > Just to clear that up ;) That really didn't clear anything up for me - did you say that you were a math major? Um, sorry. 8-] -Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:20:52 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Message-ID: all this speculation about those pesky dr. worm lyrics is irrelevant, however, because the REALLY important part of the song is where he sings "i'm interested in STUFF" instead of "i'm interested in THINGS"... i swear my heart skipped a beat when i heard that particular lyric... :) -jim kuemmerle, who's interested in worms. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 soon to be updated, i swear! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:28:45 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, the names have been deleted to protect the innocent: > > > > Easy! "Till My Head Falls Off"! 87 advil in the bottle - 47 that > > > > he ate = 10 left. Where are they? > > > > > > > I think that's 30 left - where are the other ten? But you should > > > probably tip the bottle over and count the advil up again. > > > > > I think that's 84 advil in the bottle, there's 30 left, I ate 47, so > > what happened to the other 10? > > Just to clear that up ;) actually, i think that's 10 advil missing, out of 87 to begin with, 47 advil eaten, and 30 remaining. -jim kuemmerle, who looks kinda like what santa might have looked like when he was twenty, and is sometimes careless. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 soon to be updated, i swear! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:35:37 -0500 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <34592716.4AA@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm bridge lyrics Mark Beissel wrote: > > Also, the first "I'm not a real Doctor..." bit is replaced with "I'll > leave the door unlocked 'cause I can hear the bell"... Opps! I meant the second time... the "I'm not a real doctor, by they call me Dr. Worm" line. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:51:58 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Sarah wrote: > Yes, I'm doing a MATH paper on TMBG. See, I'm in this math class that > relates stuff like poetry and music to math. We have to write a term > paper on ANY topic we can relate to math, So I'm doing the music/lyrics > of TMBG........ cool, eh? > > ~Sarah > > PS- if any one has any ideas I might be able to use I'd love to hear > 'em! ah! i see! (i thought you'd already figured out your topic with much specificity... sorry.) hmm... one of the interps at tmbg.org (i can't remember whose it is) for boat of car treats it as a logic problem. i'm afraid i can't think of any other connections between math and tmbg... yet... -jim kuemmerle, whose brain gerbil is asleep at the moment. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 soon to be updated, i swear! ------------------------------ From: "Perry's Life Savings" Subject: NON-TMBG: I've got a CD-R! Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:21:17 -0500 Message-ID: <01bce5a3$abb495e0$716403cf@mlee.planet.net> Hello all you wonderful, wonderful people, I have gotten my grubby little mitts on a CD-R, and i'd like to get some TMBG Rarities on it. I have no turntable, i have no tape deck. I'm strictly digital. And it sucks, because i can't suck up all that wonderful analog music out there. SO my problem is, i can never trade boots, because: A: I don't go to shows B: I am sans tape deck! So, i ask of you, those who have access to cd recorders and large amounts of TMBG bootage, taketh my CD-R and de-virginize it with the wonderful sounds of They. Hernk! ********************************** A world screams kiss me son of god email: mlee@planet.net ICQ: 1840333 web: www.planet.net\pmlee ********************************** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971030220657.0069b1a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:06:57 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: The People on-line chat This was frighteningly uneventful. :( It was kind of cool being on the same channel as Linnell, but no Earth-shattering announcements were made or anything. Those of you who didn't make it didn't miss much of anything. TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345959C2.1450@polbox.com> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:08:34 -0600 From: femme Organization: http://www.geocities.com/Wellesley/1790/ Subject: TMBG: To the guy who told us about uncook.exe First of all: Thank you, it has saved my life. Secondly: I found out who wrote the program...His name is Jussi Vainionpaa (supposed to have the little dotty-things over the two final letters but I dunno how to do that with the mail program I'm using now...*L* OK, so.....yeah! love, becky (who has always appreciated mike leffel) ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:17:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971030221544_1034815606@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: chat thing.... well.....since my question wasn't answered on the Chat tonight...i might as well ask you people.....maybe one of you know.... its about the song 'they got lost'.....its supposably a true story...well..where did they get lost?...ok...bye bye ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971030222603.006a43c0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:26:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: chat thing.... At 10:17 PM 10/30/97 -0500, you wrote: >well.....since my question wasn't answered on the Chat tonight...i might as >well ask you people.....maybe one of you know.... >its about the song 'they got lost'.....its supposably a true >story...well..where did they get lost?...ok...bye bye Unless it was one of the very first questions asked, it wasn't. :( TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:34:54 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: The People on-line chat Message-ID: <19971030.223454.3502.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) >This was frighteningly uneventful. :( It was kind of cool being on >the >same channel as Linnell, but no Earth-shattering announcements were >made or >anything. Those of you who didn't make it didn't miss much of >anything. >TTYL, >-Adam I agree, the chat was a little lacking. Too many questions not enough time... The moderator could have chosen better questions, although a few were interesting. Of course, maybe there were no good questions to choose from(except for mine which must have got lost in the clutter). Oh well, at least I got to meet a tmbg fan from "down under"... Jeff "yadda yadda yadda" Parker ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710310441.WAA17944@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: The People on-line chat Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:02:36 -0600 > This was frighteningly uneventful. :( It was kind of cool being on the > same channel as Linnell, but no Earth-shattering announcements were made or > anything. Those of you who didn't make it didn't miss much of anything. Did you or somebody else log it? I couldn't really comprehend that blasted ichat too well.. damned small windows! Mike "Hey John.. I'm eating potato salad. Do you like peas?" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:33:19 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: TMBG: where did They get lost... Message-ID: Well, I didn't really take it seriously at the time, BUT... About this time last year, They played outside of Streetside Records in Columbia, MO. They introduced the song as based on something that actually happened to them IN Columbia. I was hesitant to believe it, thinking 1) they say that in EVERY town, 2) Columbia's a little too small to get lost in. BUT it COULD have happened. And if they haven't said that ANYWHERE else, I'm more tempted to believe. :) On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 Tmbgneat@aol.com wrote: > well.....since my question wasn't answered on the Chat tonight...i might as > well ask you people.....maybe one of you know.... > its about the song 'they got lost'.....its supposably a true > story...well..where did they get lost?...ok...bye bye > ----------Lara Anne Schmidt ------------Writing, Web Design, etc. --------------lara@tiger.coe.missouri.edu -----------------tiger.coe.missouri.edu/~lara ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34596FA2.9775B930@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:41:54 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm This is what I can make out of the song..... * ----------------------------------------------------------- They call me Doctor Worm Good morning, how are you, I'm Doctor Worm I'm interested in things I'm not a real doctor but, I am a real worm, I am an actual worm. I live like a worm. I like to play the drums I think I'm getting good, but I can handle criticism I'll show you what I know and you can tell me if you think I'm getting better on the drums I leave the front unlocked cause I can hear the bell (That's another one we'll play tonight...later) When I get into it, I can't tell if you are watching me twirling a stick. When I give the signal, my friend Rabbi Bull will play the solo. Someday somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name, they will call me Doctor Worm Good morning, how are you, I'm Doctor Worm I'm interested in things I'm not a real doctor but, I am a real worm, I am an actual worm. I live like a worm. I like to play the drums I think I'm getting good, but I can handle criticism I'll show you what I know and you can tell me if you think I'm getting better on the drums I'm not a real doctor but they call me Doctor Worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm * ----------------------------------------------------------- Ok...there is my two cents...oxidized though they may be :) Refund ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:56:57 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: where did They get lost... Message-ID: > > well.....since my question wasn't answered on the Chat tonight...i might as > > well ask you people.....maybe one of you know.... > > its about the song 'they got lost'.....its supposably a true > > story...well..where did they get lost?...ok...bye bye > Well, I didn't really take it seriously at the time, BUT... > About this time last year, They played outside of Streetside Records in > Columbia, MO. They introduced the song as based on something that actually > happened to them IN Columbia. > > I was hesitant to believe it, thinking 1) they say that in EVERY town, 2) > Columbia's a little too small to get lost in. BUT it COULD have happened. > And if they haven't said that ANYWHERE else, I'm more tempted to believe. I know at some point they said that They Got Lost was about them in St. Louis, and I seem to remember having had a dream once when Linnell said that it was about Cincinnati. But, considering how I live in those two places, take my opinion with a grain of salt. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345974AA.3DCDD75C@deathsdoor.com> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 16:03:23 +1000 From: Vester Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Math Paper... > > > > Yes, I'm doing a MATH paper on TMBG. See, I'm in this math class > that > > relates stuff like poetry and music to math. We have to write a term > > > paper on ANY topic we can relate to math, So I'm doing the > music/lyrics > > of TMBG........ cool, eh? > > > > ~Sarah okay okay to quote the lyrics... "There were 87 Advil in the bottle now there's 30 left I ate 47 so what happened to the other 10?" that's what They say... -- Steven Lawrance vester@deathsdoor.com UIN: 3406653 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3459780A.40310A98@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:17:46 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm The lyrics I stated are based on my mp3 file...if anyone wants it just e-mail me :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-303 ******************************