Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-305 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 305 Sunday, 2 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: The silly little conversation on ichat TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG in Germany TMBG: opening acts Re: TMBG: The silly little conversation on ichat Re: TMBG: opening acts TMBG: tmbg font Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Re: TMBG: does anyone remember???? TMBG: Re: Blah blah Lincoln was OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what a TMBG: Upgrades Abound Re: TMBG: opening acts TMBG: More about opening acts Re: TMBG: opening acts TMBG: It's so quiet. TMBG: LINCOLN: UND UDDER STOFF... Re: TMBG: Translated 3 Re: TMBG: Translated 3 Re: TMBG: Teacher tapes and unrelated things NON:TMBG: Yet Music Related Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 02:27:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971101010132_680645197@mrin39> Subject: TMBG: The silly little conversation on ichat > Did you or somebody else log it? I couldn't really comprehend > that blasted ichat too well.. damned small windows! Yeah both ichat and the chat itself were rather unimpressive. I was hoping we could either get some interesting stuff out of him about future releases or convince him to join us in some unmoderated online conversations (though rumor has it Flansburgh stopped in on Undernet #TMBG the night previous). But in any case I have it logged and I will give it to anyone. Just mail me at TerryTMBG@aol.com and I will hook you up with the goods. Oh, and I have to make my obligatory pitch for EFnet #TMBG on IRC. Everyone come check it out! -Terry McMahon- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 03:15:01 -0500 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199711010815.DAA20722@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711011113.GAA24033@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 12:13:10 +0100 From: Thorsten Beck Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Germany Hi! My Name is Thorsten, i'm new on this letter. I'm from Frankfurt/Germany and of course i'm a fan of tmbg. I have the Pink-album, Lincoln, Don't Let's Start-Collection, Flood, Apollo18, John Henry, Factory Showroom. But I CAN'T get: Then:The Earlier Years or the single Why does the sun shine. Can anyone help me how i can get both? It's really hard to be far away from the home of tmbg :-( The other question i have is, does anyone know the tour dates for next year (1998, i mean after dec,12th). Hope the will come to europe and germany soon. Later Thorsten ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 05:40:35 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: opening acts Message-ID: Hey all-- There was this thread about whether TMBG's opening acts have been decent or not, and it made me think of something. I know this has kind of been addressed before, but i'm going to bring it up. Who does everyone think that TMBG are cut out to play shows with? I mean, we all agree that opening for Hootie was just wrong, but who would be good? My thoughts: Jonathan Richman (from what little I've heard of him) Wally Pleasant (I'd give a lung and a half to see this one take shape) Ben Folds Five Moxy Fruvous You know, the above bands have song styles similar to TMBG. I always think that that is one of the more important things about bands playing together...a common thread. Thoughts, suggestions? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345B6C59.251@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 12:52:25 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: The silly little conversation on ichat > > Did you or somebody else log it? I couldn't really comprehend > > that blasted ichat too well.. damned small windows! > > Yeah both ichat and the chat itself were rather unimpressive. Well, the question and answer bit was pretty boring, but it was fun to chat with everyone and mess with the ichat regulars (like Corndog1, who thought that TDK was a chick!!) and sharing some yummie cybercrack with everyone. I think that proved one thing---none of us get out much. ;^) It was great for those of us who don't usually do the whole chat thing, too. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:31:07 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: opening acts Message-ID: On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > Hey all-- > > There was this thread about whether TMBG's opening acts have been decent > or not, and it made me think of something. I know this has kind of been > addressed before, but i'm going to bring it up. Who does everyone think > that TMBG are cut out to play shows with? I mean, we all agree that > opening for Hootie was just wrong, but who would be good? My thoughts: > Moxy Fruvous Around 5-6 years back, Moxy Fruvous did open for TMBG a few times. I talked to Murray about them a few years ago, and he said he and his MF bandmates only _wished_ they could make a record as good as Flood. Also - TMBG are doing an early set _and_ a late set when they appear at Lee's Palace here in Toronto on November 22. Guess I'll just have to go to both.... MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 12:37:24 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: tmbg font Message-ID: Hey, a quick question for those of you who got the TMBG font--how long did it take the guy to send it to you? About a week ago, he emailed me and said he'd send it to me, but I haven't heard anything since. I was just wondering what sort of response the rest of you guys got, time-wise. I'm not usually this impatient, but it's just that I've been wanting some kind of Misc. T font for years now and I feel like an antsy kid on Christmas Eve. :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:20:42 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Message-ID: Monkey Island!!!!!! Now you have reminded me of my beloved Sierra games of yore, and their endearing attempt at piracy protection. We called poor Seamus at 2 am to use his pirate wheel >:} Sarah "Alexander Examines The Stone Shelf" Winningham Who has never written to the list before but thinks Leffel is just great. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 14:30:33 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: does anyone remember???? Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Ranma Saotome wrote: > Does anyone remember when everyone on the list was translating S-E-X-X-Y > into languages such as German and Russian? It was hilarious!!!!! But it > was so long ago and I never did save them. If anyone else did, please > post them or send them to me or whatever you want........... > > Has anyone attempted translating any other songs? > > Kimberly "the globular hermaphrodite seeker" > > -Kimicee > ------------------------ > http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/7534 > Bishounen Hunter T =w= #2872 =rna= #11 > "We are all the same person trying to shake hands with ourself" A few months ago my friends and I translated S-E-X-X-Y into french completely unrelated to this list! Also I attempted Within You from Labyrinth but never could figure out if Bowie said I can or can't live within you Sarah "the double kick of love" Winningham ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <512bdeb.345bb2ca@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:53:43 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: Blah blah Lincoln was OK, so if the girls fron Cub were interesting, what a Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello 41- In a message dated 11/1/97 4:45:46 PM, you wrote: <> Well, I don't think so, and I'll tell you why. The CD had Chris's voice sounding slightly different on every song. The live song just features his normal annoying voice. I really don't like the slide guitar in the live show. I also don't think Lincoln does anything really interesting on stage. They'll say maybe two words to the audience, and they usually are to buy the album at the T-Shirt stand. Now that's originality! Adam ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711020017.TAA24147@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Upgrades Abound Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 19:17:21 -0500 (EST) In the past couple of days there have been some major upgrades. If I've done my job right they will all be transparent to you. Here's the outline: 1) All of the web sites (www.monopuff.org, www.tmbg.org, www.tmbg.com) are now running on a new (faster? better?) machine. 2) The mailing lists are now running on a new machine. 3) The ftp sites are running on a new machine. 4) The @tmbg.org aliases are now running on a new machine. Please let me know immediately if you see anything wierd. I've done my best to check everything, but I'm sure something has slipped. I hope this upgrade will allow us to do all sorts of new cool things with the web site, and hopefully will make everything a little faster as well. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971102002005.4524.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: Re: TMBG: opening acts Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 16:20:05 PST Funny you should mention Jonathan Richman. Back when Lollapalooza was in its 1st year, the thing to do was to come up with your own themed show, and JR was on my list along with TMBG, the B-52's, the Longshoremen (any takers?), the Toy Dolls (anyone?), and...er...someone else. The reasons why Lollapalooza shouldn't be themed is a whole other subject. However, in a quick perusal of my CDs, a few bands have bubbled their way to relevence: 1)Bjork 2)Suddenly, Tammy 3)Bela Fleck, so JF could try to play the SynthAxe Drumitar. And to see "Dueling Banjos" with an accordian vs. the banjo. 4)Bobby McFerrin. 5)the Boston Pops. really! 6)Mike Leffel. just because. Hey all-- There was this thread about whether TMBG's opening acts have been decent or not, and it made me think of something. I know this has kind of been addressed before, but i'm going to bring it up. Who does everyone think that TMBG are cut out to play shows with? I mean, we all agree that opening for Hootie was just wrong, but who would be good? My thoughts: Jonathan Richman (from what little I've heard of him) Wally Pleasant (I'd give a lung and a half to see this one take shape) Ben Folds Five Moxy Fruvous You know, the above bands have song styles similar to TMBG. I always think that that is one of the more important things about bands playing together...a common thread. Thoughts, suggestions? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 19:02:22 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: "It's done with mirrors" Subject: TMBG: More about opening acts Message-ID: I credit this to Bill Tatalovich: > Who does everyone think that TMBG are cut out to play shows with? > > Wally Pleasant (I'd give a lung and a half to see this one take shape) Wow, I'd even skip a job interview for that one! (all you recent college grads know how serious that really is. :) I'd love to see the Candy Butchers go back on tour with Them...I really enjoyed them (the Candy Butchers) when I saw them in DC (well, I enjoyed TMBG as well but this post is about opening acts) Anyhow, when I got back to Ohio, I found that no one had ever even heard of the Candy Butchers, let alone carried anything by them. Here's a cool idea though: At each show, a local band opens up for Them. We (the fans) are usually pretty open-minded and receptive to new stuff, and it would be a great way for some new band to get a little recognition. Hey, some of those bands may include members of this list, after all! I have absolutely no idea how this would get organized, but I'm sure clubs and radio stations would have a blast with it. **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 "I have seen slower people than I am -- and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But they were dead." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 1 Nov 97 20:31 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: opening acts >Wally Pleasant (I'd give a lung and a half to see this one take shape) Oh man, you and me both! I've decided that the *real* reason my friend Jon couldn't come home from college for Halloween wasn't his burgeoning workload - it was the fact that Wally is playing there tonight. Eh, but who could blame 'im? Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Everything perfect you said was just mirrors and wires.." - Frente Kirsten Brodbeck ~ kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ~ AKA Crow ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711020236.UAA09519@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: It's so quiet. Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 20:11:18 -0600 > However, in a quick perusal of my CDs, a few bands have bubbled their > way to relevence: > > 1)Bjork > 2)Suddenly, Tammy > 3)Bela Fleck, so JF could try to play the SynthAxe Drumitar. And to see > "Dueling Banjos" with an accordian vs. the banjo. > 4)Bobby McFerrin. > 5)the Boston Pops. really! > 6)Mike Leffel. just because. Stand up! You've got to manage! I won't sympathize anymore! And if you complain once more YOU'LL MEET AN ARMY OF ME! Mike "Zing, Boom" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345BDFB1.582E@CYBNETONLINE.COM> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 20:04:33 -0600 From: "S. Struble" Subject: TMBG: LINCOLN: UND UDDER STOFF... SUBJECT LINE TWO: Too uh many subjects to even have an appropriate Title. > 1)Bjork Speaking of Bjork (Everyones Favorite Icelandic Elf, Sometimes I hate John K.), I passed up on one of The Elf's albums to buy LINCOLN (Oh and DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince: He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper). Which is kinda weird when you think that I HANE NEVER HEARD THEM. I just got sick of all you people talking about how cool they were (or weren't). Whelp, I gots to say I LOVE 'EM! Oh and I also checked for Cub, but they didn't have them at Hastings... > "Dueling Banjos" with an accordian vs. the banjo. Hey we do this in my band, but instead of AC versus a BA, we do it with an Elcectric Guitar, and me on the Turntables. FUN FUN FUN! Somebody mentioned Local bands playing with TMBG... Drool :)_. Man I would love to open for them. Considering we sorta take influence from They, we would be so happy. Henry Likes Ninjas opening for They Might be Giants. Oh, and maybe they could hear PEZ & PIXIE STIX. oO()END FANTASY ISLAND()Oo S. Struble or Elburts "Bob" Struble or Neuro Jack or The Idol Virus Too many personalities, Too Lil' Time. I love Palindromes!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:20:49 -0500 (EST) From: Elizabeth Esswein Subject: Re: TMBG: Translated 3 Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 mr.train@juno.com wrote: > < > I have downloaded "Greek #3" from http://www.tmbg.org, and since I > have > always been interested in foreign languages, I find John Linnell singing > in > Greek to be pretty cool. I wasn't too crazy about the English version, > but I > like the Greek version. I have done some work of my own and have come up > with > this Latin translation of "Number Three": > > LATIN #3 > A Latin translation of TMBG's "Number Three" > > Modo sunt duo cantus in me et scripsi tertium > Nescio ubi accepi afflatum aut quomodo scripsi verba > Impendi vitam meam fodentem sepulcrum musicae meae > Pro duo cantibus in me et pro tertio quo feci > > Dives vir mihi dixit, > "Heu! Vita est res ridicula." > Pauper vir mihi dixit > se posse praebere locutu. > Iam sum in medio sicut avis sine rostro quod > > Modo sunt duo cantus in me et scripsi tertium > Nescio ubi accepi afflatum aut quomodo scripsi verba > Impendi vitam meam fodentem sepulcrum musicae meae > Pro duo cantibus in me et pro tertio quo feci > > Sic ivi ad praefectum > et rogavi "quid-est-sibi-nomen" > si umquam potuit scribere > aut aliquid similis > Incipiebat loqui > Sicut erat in televisione > "Si sunt duo cantus in te, puer, > Quid vis a me?" > > Sic me ipse emi "denim pants" > et guitarem argenteum > Sed dixi humane feminis > "Adhuc mihi vocabitis 'Sir' > quod debeo tenere honorem meum > Numquam ero vir clarus > quoniam sunt duo cantus in me > et hic est Numerus Tres." > > Enjoy this translation. I had to make up words and use some English words > that have no Latin equivalent. Vobis gratias (Thank you). > > Sincerely, > Chris >> > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) > "quod debeo tenere honorem meum Numquam ero vir clarus" > -Cbuczek@aol.com/TMBG > This is pretty cool. I also really like Greek #3. I don't know Greek, but it was pretty neat trying to figure out the words and what they mean. This is a pretty daunting task if you don't know anything about the language. Are the (Greek) words written down anywhere? I'd like to see how accurate I could be without having the slightest idea where to begin. I am a linguistics major, so I obviously enjoy this sort of thing. Maybe I should try to translate it into Russian U menya tol'ko dva pyesni i ya ceychas pisal tret'u ni dumayu kuda prishyol stroki ili kak ya pical slovi provodil vcyu jizn' tol'ko kopnu ... I don't know how to say "shallow grave" in Russian. That's about as far as I can get without a dictionary. Maybe if I have time someday, I'll translate the rest of it. Elizabeth "Everybody's an idiot. We're all in good company." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345BF935.250C@CYBNETONLINE.COM> Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 21:53:27 -0600 From: "S. Struble" Subject: Re: TMBG: Translated 3 Elizabeth Esswein wrote: > > Modo sunt duo cantus in me et scripsi tertium > > Nescio ubi accepi afflatum aut quomodo scripsi verba > > Impendi vitam meam fodentem sepulcrum musicae meae > > Pro duo cantibus in me et pro tertio quo feci > U menya tol'ko dva pyesni i ya ceychas pisal tret'u > ni dumayu kuda prishyol stroki ili kak ya pical slovi > provodil vcyu jizn' tol'ko kopnu ... Hey lets all have fun, I'll go and translate it into Japanese! One thing we all need to remember, change the wording a bit so it all can stay in rythem, That's how Rhey did it on the Greek version, which can be found on http://WWW.TMBG.ORG, it's under the Lyrics Archive on Then: The Early Years. Have At! S. NARU HADAKA NO! (Poorly written prolly means sumtin') ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:22:41 -0800 (PST) From: Sarah Winningham Message-Id: <199711020622.WAA23526@sal-sun5.usc.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Teacher tapes and unrelated things I'm pretty sure Bowie said "I CAN'T live within you." It sounds like "can't" to me on the soundtrack. :) Yah, that's what I thought too, but when I slowed it down on the computer, I couldn't hear any t sound. maybe Bowie just didn't enunciate. It could goeither way. Either he can't exist solely within Sarah the same way she can't live without the sunlight or love without her heart beat; or because he (this harmful aspect of her sub-concious) is living within her she has no heart beat or sunlight. I'm trying to make my chemistry teacher a science tape, it has other people such as Thomas Dolby too, but the TMBG section includes For Science Mammal Why Does the Sun Shine What Bothers the Space Man (because my teacher's name is Mr. Lee) Dagnamit! I had more but I can't remember, lots more,help. Sarah "I found a new friend underneath my old friend" Winningham I can't do anything right, can I?! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711020851.CAA14122@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: NON:TMBG: Yet Music Related Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 02:36:45 -0600 I'm sure you'd find this amusing.... Go to http://www.uexpress.com/ups/comics/td/index.html ... (if you visit it on sunday, it'll be right there, but if you visit it after sunday, check the archives..) Mike "You like HOOTIE?" Leffel I am not stalking Herbert Landry. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-305 ******************************