Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-307 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 307 Tuesday, 4 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape TMBG: TMHFO? TMBG: TMHFO Re: TMBG: TMHFO? Re: TMBG: TMHFO? TMBG: survey part 2? Re: TMBG: survey part 2? TMBG: PLEASE!! Re: TMBG: JMU show TMBG: Kit Kat MP3 TMBG: First kiss lyrics RE: TMBG: DOES ANYONE REMEMBER???? TMBG: List direction. Fw: TMBG: List direction. Re: TMBG: List direction.2 Fw: TMBG: List direction.3 Fw: TMBG: List direction.3 TMBG: I can play, too. Re: TMBG: Math paper Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape TMBG: also re:TMBG: Kit Kat MP3 TMBG: Hullo agin Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape Re: NON-NON-NON-NON-NON TMBG: Monkey Island TMBG: Number Three in German TMBG: Selling cassettes...grr... Non-TMBG: Unitarian Conference?? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 01:43:33 -0600 (CST) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 several wrote lots of stuff about an xmas tape: Well, as long as we're going with obscure tracks, how about... Santa Dog, by The Residents. Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345D8629.DE65A19F@nmt.edu> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:07:05 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: TMHFO? Joey Groah wrote about the setlist for the JMU show and mentioned TMHFO. I know once I hear what it is that it will sound like common sense, and that I will feel stupid afterward for even asking...but....What is TMHFO? Refund. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345D8939.E59C9948@nmt.edu> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:20:09 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: TMHFO Never mind. The answer hit me like a brick when I popped factory showroom into my cd player. I was right though...about it being almost common sense...and about feeling stupid afterward :) Refund ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 01:23:14 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMHFO? Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Nick Wolf wrote: > Joey Groah wrote about the setlist for the JMU show > and mentioned TMHFO. I know once I hear what it is that it will sound > like common sense, and that I will feel stupid afterward for even > asking...but....What is TMHFO? > Refund. till my head falls off. it took me a moment, too. not one of the more common acronyms in my experience. -jim kuemmerle, whose head sits very squarely above his patellae... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 still haven't updated it. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 01:32:33 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMHFO? Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Nick Wolf wrote: > What is TMHFO? now that the question's been answered, it just occurred to me that this could make a cool tmbgame... FILL IN THE ACRONYM... hmm... The Man Hails Flying Objects? Try More Hash, Flansie Omelette? Triple Mocha Heaven Fills Order? -jim kuemmerle, tripping mostly head-first. oaf? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 03:00:32 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: survey part 2? Message-ID: Hey all-- Yes, it's me, that semi-nutso guy who decided last year to do a survey of TMBG fans on this list, and post the results on the web. Well, I'm beginning to feel as though I'm keeping outdated information, so I've debated something I never thought I'd do...DO A SECOND SURVEY. I guess I'm just curious....is everyone interested in a second survey like this? I know of about 10 people who want at least an update...so what does everyone say? If there's enough interest, I'll agree to do another one. If there's a lot of interest, I might ask for help in conducting the survey and HTML'ing the pages of results. If there's no interest, I'll slip back into my hole. So what do y'all say? Let your voice be heard. I'm outta here. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And I looked into his face / but I couldn't see past his eyes" --Husker Du ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711030932.DAA16209@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: survey part 2? Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 03:17:24 -0600 Between this and the Acronym Game, I don't feel so bad for bringing up the AKA's again now. T ake M y H orrendous F fth O vary HOOHOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! The Johns are as Gay as Dan Fielding. Live with it. LIVE WITH IT!!! SLAP MAH FRO!!!! HOOOHAOHAOAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!! Mike "Meine Freunde und ich treffen an Montagen im Badezimmer ein" Leffel ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971103124715.21998.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: TMBG: PLEASE!! Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 04:47:15 PST Please help me!!! Has the address for this usually quite compassionate list changed? I need information! Where's the old gang to help me out? Mike? Christy? Anybody? "Moths beat on the window pane telling me I'm not the same"-TMBG Justin McElroy bdole42@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:50:34 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: JMU show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Nov-97 TMBG: JMU show by Joey Groah@rica.net > And I think that's it. Love them Giants. yeah, unfortunately, that was it. just 24 songs, including Broom... I'd say that the only thing I really liked at that show was the well behaved audience... I didn't get crushed, kicked, or in any other way injured, as I usually do at Their shows. and I think the Johns appreicated that, if they could see it from their perch on a 4 foot high stage 10 feet from the audience... but as far as the set... it was kind of boring - no variations, they just played the songs straight... Ana Ng's bridge was pretty much normal (although Linnell forgot to come in for the third verse)... Particle Man, which had to show its ugly face to begin with, was back to normal - no more Sign or "Particle Man hates Particle Man." Flans remembered the words to I Am Not Your Broom, while Linnell forgot the words to Til My Head Falls Off... they didn't talk much - it seemed as if they were rushing to get done and get back to New York... or wherever they're going next (NY, I think). although I did like the uptempo Ana Ng and Shoehorn with Teeth. unusual omissions: Spider, Sleeping in the Flowers, Spiraling Shape, Rest Awhile surprising 'welcome back' songs: She's Actual Size, Snail Shell the cool usual stuff: Dr. Worm, New York City, James K. Polk (w/ cannon) I wasn't that surprised at them *at* the show... it was on the drive home when I realized "Hey, they didn't play Rest Awhile..." They said (well, Linnell did) in last Thursday's chat that they'd been rehearsing some older songs to bring back into the rotation... I guess they didn't want to debut them at a college show, or with such a short setlist. they'll probably show up at the Mercury Lounge, though. i dunno. it was my 10th show, and I just wasn't all that impressed with it. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 20:07:12 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Kit Kat MP3 Message-ID: My pal Crux (atcrux@hotmail.com) made an MP3 of the TMBG Kit Kat appearance from my CD. It features 6 songs (James K. Polk, How Can I Sing Like A Girl?, Your Own Worst Enemy, Older, New York City, and Ana Ng), and it also has some pretty cool interview segments. Be warned though, 'cause it's a massive file (around 25 megs). You can get it at: ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/kitkat2.mp3 Enjoy, -Adam /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 07:19:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: First kiss lyrics Message-ID: <19971103.072007.12054.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! >I checked the archives but my recording is slightly different. Instead >of "The morning, the phone rings" mine says "The morning, alarm rings". >Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though :) ok, i always thot he was saying "good morning, alarm rings." take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711031447.JAA25217@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:45:03 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: DOES ANYONE REMEMBER???? Stefanie Elliot wrote: >I'm still mourning the pasing of the wonder that was the Jive Translator. >All that idiot uproar over Ebonics ruined something that was fun...and >don't say anything about it not being "politically correct", because I >don't care. Attempting to stem the tide of racism and ignorance is not "idiot uproar." If you want to marginalize those efforts by tabbing them as "politically correct," fine, but the outcry against the offensive "Ebonics translator" was one the prouder TMBG list moments. Peace, Brett ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711031454.JAA25708@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: List direction. Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:54:52 -0500 (EST) As you may or may not have noticed I have been quite busy as of late doing all manor of things and ignoring the list. As I browse some of the back messages I notice that some people have been less than happy with the list in the last few months. This is not good. What to do? Well, I'm not sure. There's not a lot of TMBG things going on at the moment, so I expect the tangents to go a little further these days. Let's just try to remember that this is the TMBG list though, and that those who read it are looking for talk about the band, not far off topics. Also, let's not forget a little mailing list procedure, don't post 10 3 line messages, post one large message, and don't quote a ton of stuff that doesn't need to be quoted. "Me too's" are frowned on. Thanks. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: List direction. Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:08:19 -0500 Message-Id: <15130518701271@dancingink.com> > Also, let's not forget a little mailing list procedure, don't > post 10 3 line messages, post one large message, and don't > quote a ton of stuff that doesn't need to be quoted. "Me > too's" are frowned on. > > Thanks. > > -- > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org > System Administration - Network Design > TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org Your absolutely right! I agree. :) ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: List direction.2 Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:08:27 -0500 Message-Id: <15132057801274@dancingink.com> > Also, let's not forget a little mailing list procedure, don't > post 10 3 line messages, post one large message, and don't > quote a ton of stuff that doesn't need to be quoted. "Me > too's" are frowned on. > > Thanks. > > -- > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org > System Administration - Network Design > TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org >Your absolutely right! I agree. :) Did I mention that I thing you're right about the me too stuff???? ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: List direction.3 Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:23:13 -0500 Message-Id: <15241920301283@dancingink.com> > > Also, let's not forget a little mailing list procedure, don't > > post 10 3 line messages, post one large message, and don't > > quote a ton of stuff that doesn't need to be quoted. "Me > > too's" are frowned on. > > > > Thanks. > > > > -- > > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org > > System Administration - Network Design > > TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > > >Your absolutely right! I agree. :) > > Did I mention that I thing you're right about the me too stuff???? I'm sure everyone else does too. ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: List direction.3 Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:26:38 -0500 Message-Id: <15273243701288@dancingink.com> > > > Also, let's not forget a little mailing list procedure, don't > > > post 10 3 line messages, post one large message, and don't > > > quote a ton of stuff that doesn't need to be quoted. "Me > > > too's" are frowned on. > > > > > > Thanks. > > > > > > -- > > > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org > > > System Administration - Network Design > > > TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > > > > >Your absolutely right! I agree. :) > > > > Did I mention that I thing you're right about the me too stuff???? > > I'm sure everyone else does too. Doesn't it drive you nuts when rude people think they're so important that they can just post a bunch of nothing to the list all the time?? :) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711031530.KAA27858@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: I can play, too. Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 10:30:10 -0500 (EST) Ok, I am not in a good mood. For the second time in it's history tmbg-list is now moderated. Posts will be approved by me before you get to see them. Posts not deemed worthy will be silently discarded. All mail on the subject to me will also be silently discarded. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:31:55 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Math paper Message-id: <345DFC7B.44D2@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 > Of course, you've already decided not to write your paper on the obvious > connections between the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality and the log of the > frequency of drum beats in "Hall of Heads"... really too easy, I agree. :) What's that? Care to explain? > If your math class includes beginning logic, I suggest Weep Day. (I'm > suggesting Weep Day for everything, notice that? Maybe I just really like > Weep Day.) Weep Day? ~~Sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345E356F.27EE@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 12:34:55 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape cyberspace buddha wrote: > > On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 several wrote lots of stuff about an xmas tape: > > Well, as long as we're going with obscure tracks, how about... > Santa Dog, by The Residents. Or what about "Careless Santa," by Mono Puff? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ From: "Groah, Joey S" Subject: TMBG: also Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 11:47:47 -0500 (EST) A follow up to last night's post: Setlist also included Exquisite Dead Guy, NOKMP, and Older, I was tired, my puzzler had shut down. This was the first show I have seen with Critic Intro, which was a cool effect. Joey Everything is funnier with monkeys- Evan Dorkin Groah, Joey S groahjs@jmu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:15:29 -0700 From: "Norman Namron" Message-ID: Subject: re:TMBG: Kit Kat MP3 Organization: MailExcite (http://www.mailexcite.com) > from my CD. It features 6 songs (James K. Polk, How Can I Sing >Like A Girl?, Your Own Worst Enemy, Older, New York City, and Ana Ng), and >it also has some pretty cool interview segments. > >Be warned though, 'cause it's a massive file (around 25 megs). You can >get it at: > >ftp://ftp.ccom.net/incoming/kitkat2.mp3 > >Enjoy, > >-Adam > >/----=========================================----\ >Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? >Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > Thank you very much! I've been waiting for this on tape but now I can listen on my computer! I'm about done downloading it right now. :) So what's new? I've been gone for awhile. Actually I wasn't really sure that Leo was proofing everyone's posts or not so I put all that above to slip it by him. This whole censorship thing is crap! What ever happened to "I should be allowed to blurt the mearest idea / if by random whim, one occurs to me / If necessary, offend the list host when he makes stupid demands" Well, I kind of changed that last part. :) What do the rest of you think? I was kind of mad at AugieWan when Leo first put his big ol ACME boot covered foot down, but A&W was just goofing around. I know some you don't like it when Mike Leffell and the like wander a bit off base but that's what makes life a little more interesting for the rest of us. We should all be allowed to post what we think! Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345E3434.1AC7@awod.com> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 15:29:40 -0500 From: Brother JohnBejezus Subject: TMBG: Hullo agin Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, I was on the list a while back. I just thought I'd get back on for a little while to see wot you guys are talkin about. If it's interesting I'll stick around, if it's still "where does Ana Ng live?" You peoples really need to consider moving on ;) Anyways, peace, love, and long live the FLESH FEST!!!! Hoping someone remembers that, Brother JohnBejezus ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971103210746.14335.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: Re: TMBG: Christmas Tape Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 13:07:46 PST > > Santa, Baby - ? > > santa, baby was done by eartha kitt. > So was Adam West. "Santa, Baby" was also done by Madonna on the Very Special Christmas album. Does that mean she would have done Adam West, too? ;) -Carl ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <345E61CB.1168@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 15:44:11 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: NON-NON-NON-NON-NON TMBG: Monkey Island > I beat Monkey Island again today and noticed in the credits something I > had not noticed before... It said "Sam and Max appear courtesy of [some > name here]" I had never noticed Sam and Max anywhere in the game... has > anyone seen them in Monk.Isl.? > I can answer your question proudly! As the beginner of this great thread combining the List and Monkey Island (the best of both worlds), the answer is: Sam and Max are in front of the Great Monkey. If you look carefully, there's an idol of Max sitting on Sam's shoulders. But now I can beat all of your Monkey Island stories by this single fact: I DRESSED UP AS GUYBRUSH THREEPWOOD FOR HALLOWEEN! Yes, I went to school and out trick-or-treating as the great Guybrush. My gf played Gov. Marley and my pal played Stan. And we looked damn good. I even have the hair. MONKEY ISLAND 3 HITS STORES ON NOVEMBER 10!!! -- Vladimir "Age? Sevent-uh... twenty one!" Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711032346.SAA20380@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 00:45:41 +0100 From: Thorsten Beck Subject: TMBG: Number Three in German Hi there! Some were asking about They lyrics in other languages. For your amusement i did translate 'Number Three" in German Language. Hope it looks great for y'all. 8-D Maybe someone like other They songs in this language...if there's an interest i will try my best with the translation. Fav's on short lyrics ;-) ... Bubbye Thorsten 'Ich bin ein Frankfurter, Mike' Beck Nummer Drei =========== Es gibt nur zwei Lieder in mir und ich habe gerade das dritte geschrieben Weiss nicht wodurch ich inspiriert wurde oder wie ich die Woerter geschrieben habe Verbrachte mein ganzes Leben nur damit mein oberflaechliches musikalisches Grab auszugraben Fuer die zwei Lieder in mir und das dritte, das ich gerade gemacht habe Ein reicher Mann erzaehlte mir einmal "Hey, Leben ist eine lustige Sache" Ein armer Mann erzaehlte mir einmal Das er es sich nicht leisten kann zu sprechen Jetzt stecke ich in der Klemme wie ein Vogel ohne Schnabel weil Es gibt nur zwei Lieder in mir und ich ich habe gerade das dritte geschrieben Weiss nicht wodurch ich inspiriert wurde oder wie ich die Woerter geschrieben habe Verbrachte mein ganzes Leben nur damit mein oberflaechliches musikalisches Grab auszugraben Fuer die zwei Lieder in mir und das dritte, das ich gerade gemacht habe Also ging ich zum Praesidenten Und ich fragte toll wie er heisst Hat er jemals einen Schreibblock bekommen Oder irgend etwas aehnliches Er fing einfach zu reden an Genauso als ob er im Fernsehen waere "Wenn es nur zwei Lieder in dir gibt, Junge Was willste dann von mir?" Also kaufte ich mir einige baumwolldrillich Hosen Und eine silberne Gitarre Aber ich erzaehlte den Damen hoeflich "Sie werden mich nur rufen muessen Sir Weil ich meine Selbstachtung bewahren muss Ich werde nie ein Star sein Seitdem es nur zwei Lieder in mir gibt Und dieses ist die Nummer drei ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971103200754.0069ce68@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 20:07:54 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Selling cassettes...grr... This really irritates me. This site, http://www.eclecticmusic.com, is -selling- TMBG boots on cassette, along with a lot of other bands. :( -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:59:50 -0800 (PST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19971103175541.0a2fa356@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Non-TMBG: Unitarian Conference?? Hey, a friend of mine went to the Unitarian Fellowship's FallCon in Seabeck WA this weekend and she says she met a listie there...someone who was getting the dj at some dance to play Them over and over and....yeah. If you are this person, could you possibly email me? Thankyou!!! Bridget "My friend is making me do this; i accept no responsibility for this NON-TMBG post!" Guildner The Secretly Ironic, Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/moonscape/frames.htm ICQ # 2814304 "I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted, and missed it." -Dave Foley "Life is a beautiful, wonderful gift from God. People, however, suck." - V. Blaine Hill Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown. "Unless, of course," he said softly, "they were eaten by the goat..." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-307 ******************************