Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-309 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 309 Thursday, 6 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: letter to TMBG- what do you think :) Re: TMBG: tourdate discrepencies Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! TMBG: TMBG related interview with A&W TMBG: More Number Three! Re: TMBG: survey part 2? TMBG: random stuff Re: TMBG: Selling boot cassettes??? TMBG: save the boot swaping! Re: TMBG: various languages TMBG: Number Three sung by Yoda! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711050307.AA19520@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: letter to TMBG- what do you think :) Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:07:57 -0500 (EST) > I find it amusing that more than half of the list is taking AW's > proposed letter seriously....... Hello! He is trying to make a clever > connection between the annoying ONE-LINED posts on this list and the > ONE-LINED songs of fingertips....... no harm intended..... I think it > could almost be said that ONE-LINED posts could be a god thing since > fingertips is....... but the point is not if the connection is sound or > not...... it's just a nifty little co-ink-e-dink...... > > "Please pass the milk, please." > ~~Sarita! Uhhh, I think sending that letter to the Johns is a bad idea because uhh they wrote fingertips and yeah they liked it. So how about some Careless Santa anyone? bye 8-) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711050313.AA19527@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: tourdate discrepencies Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:13:18 -0500 (EST) > > On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > Nah, TMBG is playing the Merc. Lounge on Thursday, Nov. 6. Moxy Fruvous > > is playing the Merc Lounge on Friday, Nov. 7. Fear not, they should be > > in Pittsburgh on the 7th. > > Matt > > Whoa!!! The last I knew Nov 6th was a driving day for Fruvous between > Cleveland on the 6th and Rochester on the 8th. Fruvous is playing > three shows at the Mercury Lounge the next weekend (14, 15, 16)... > > But TMBG is playing Thursdays at ther Merc. Lounge and Nov. 7 is > a Friday... Whoops, I meant to say TMBG is playing NYC on Nov. 6 & 13 and Fruvous is playing the 14th, 15th, and 16th, my mistake! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711050447.WAA03746@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:31:15 -0600 Ok, I think I've seen this game or whatever but where?!? Someone please desribe it. I think my cousin has it. If so it is so cool. I love it. Blink ---------- > From: J Chen > To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: NOTMBG: monkey island fans of the world unite! > Date: Friday, October 31, 1997 3:07 PM > > Ha! How appropriate, you fight like a cow! > > Damn... I never did know when to use that... > > > >COUNT ME IN!!!! > >"I'll take this key right to the tribe... and I won't use it or > >anything!" > > > > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) > > The guy who went crazy not 5 min. ago because he > >couldn't find that DAMN pirate wheel... > > > >>> < >>this list, > >>> anyway? :)>> > >>> > >>> Look out! There's a three-headed monkey behind you! > >> > >>like we're gonna fall for THAT one again. hmph. > >> > >>-jim kuemmerle, wearing a very large citrus fruit on his head. > > ========================___________________________________________... . . . > | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, > | Protected by Guan Yu | > | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." > ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: TMBG related interview with A&W Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:43:39 -0500 Message-Id: <06461546800839@dancingink.com> * We're coming to you live from the bedroom of AugieWan, self described They Might Be Giants fanatic, and all around decent human. A few moments ago he was found left for dead on the floor of this very room. Why? How? We plan to find out. AugieWan, we would all like to know, What happened to you? * * Now wait a minute. You just said that the Flames were coming from your fellow TMBG fans?? Why would they be upset with you? * < It's kind of complicated. You see, I assumed that people who claim to be fans of the Giants would be of above average intelligence. Therefore, I wrote an E-mail to the list this morning that had a rather obvious front of being a stupid "I don't like the icky bad song" post. You know, the kind a ten-year-old would write. The true meaning behind the post was as clear as the fact that the "Johns are gay". > * And what was that? * < Some of them figured it out. I'll leave it at that. > * But why did they get upset? * < Well quite a few of them are still holding me accountable for the list being moderated again. It seems I upset a few people. :) Then I wrote the fateful "letter to the Johns" post and everybody wanted to hang me for saying bad things about "Fingertips" when in fact it is, to this day, one of my favorite TMBG songs. It just happened to fit into the whole "front" of my message. > * I see, so some of the listies that either didn't understand what you were trying to say, have no sense of humor, or just still hate you from previous posts, Flamed you relentlessly? * < That would about sum it up. But hey, I don't hold grudges! Next time I just ask that they read into a post of that nature a bit more before firing off all that hate mail. > * So are you going to Flame them all back? * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971104235116.00715a6c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 23:51:23 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: More Number Three! > Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone remembers me, I was on the list a while > back. JohnBeezus! You're back! *hug* List is about the same as always. >Does anyone know what other songs they were thinking about doing? Wasn't The Edison Museum one of them? Speak up, cortney, I know you were there. :) >I want your opinions. *sigh* *shakes head* No, you really don't want mine. >Nah, TMBG is playing the Merc. Lounge on Thursday, Nov. 6. Moxy Fruvous >is playing the Merc Lounge on Friday, Nov. 7. And me stuck in California. It breaks the heart, really it does. >Did anyone receive anything like this? *I* didn't, but then again the Johns have probably figured out by now that I live in California and am unlikely to attend concerts on the East Coast. >maybe our ultimate goal is to translate _Number 3_ into every language >in the world! Perhaps so. Numero Trois ------------- Je n'ai que deux chansons en moi, et je viens d'ecrire le troisieme. Je ne sais pas ou j'ai trouve l'inspiration ou comment j'ai ecrit les mots. J'ai passe ma vie entiere a desenterer le tombeau de ma musique Des deux chansons en moi, et du troisieme que je viens d'ecrire. Un homme riche m'a dit, "Eh, la vie est bizarre!" Un homme pauvre m'a dit qu'il ne pouvait pas se permettre de parler. Et je suis au millieu, comme un oiseau sans bec Parce que il n'y a que deux chansons dans moi, et je viens d'ecrire le troisieme. Je ne sais pas ou j'ai trouve l'inspiration ou comment j'ai ecrit les mots. J'ai passe ma vie entiere a desenterer le tombeau de ma musique Des deux chansons en moi, et du troisieme que je viens d'ecrire. Je suis allee au President, et j'ai demandee au vieux schlock Si il avait du mal a ecrire, ou quelque chose comme ca Il a comence a parler, comme si il etait a la tele "Si tu n'a que deux chansons, mon gars, Ques'que tu veux que j'y fasse?" Alors je me suis achete des blue-jeans, et un guitar argente. Mais j'ai poliment prevenu les filles, "Vouz devez toujours m'appeler 'Monsieur'." Car je dois garder mon , je ne serais jamais un star. Car il n'y a que deux chansons en moi, et ceci est Numero Trois. Insert accents and correct verb endings; I only *speak* French, I can't really claim to write it. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "All I need is a Scantron sheet, a number two lead, and a small cheat sheet... not to mention my own divine intervention."--Eddie From Ohio Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 03:50:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971104221117_1312671353@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: survey part 2? >Yes, it's me, that semi-nutso guy who decided last year to do a survey of >TMBG fans on this list, and post the results on the web. Well, I'm >beginning to feel as though I'm keeping outdated information, so I've >debated something I never thought I'd do...DO A SECOND SURVEY. I guess >I'm just curious....is everyone interested in a second survey like this? >I know of about 10 people who want at least an update...so what does >everyone say? If there's enough interest, I'll agree to do another one. >If there's a lot of interest, I might ask for help in conducting the> >survey and HTML'ing the pages of results. If there's no interest, I'll >slip back into my hole. So what do y'all say? Let your voice be heard. >I'm outta here. Definitely go for a new survey! There's lots of stuff in the first survey that keeps changing (favorite bands, locations, etc.) that make a new survey a must! And since no one asked, here are my thoughts on possible questions: 1. Top 5 TMBG songs (5 points for #1, 4 for #2, etc., or 3 points for each if unranked) 2. Favorite TMBG album 3. Favorite Mono Puff song 4. Favorite TMBG cover 5. Favorite opening act 6. Favorite non-TMBG musical act (You mean there are others ...?) 7-whatever. Non-musical stuff like age, location, political party, social security number, signature, stuff like that. This is a wicked good idea! Let's all run with it! Anywhere! -Terry "The Nickname" McMahon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 05:48:47 -0700 Subject: TMBG: random stuff Message-ID: <19971105.054858.11854.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >>I guess they thanked TMBG for directing a video (only if it was only >>Flans) and for touring with them... >>I dunno why they thanked Tony Maimone seperately... but I guess this was >>after Grahm joined... > I think (I have to go check on this) that they thanked Tony for >playing random instruments that they sample although i totally agree with this i must remind everyone to check their liner notes: THey Might Be Giants: John Linnell and John Flansburgh... > If >you haven't heard Yo La Tengo, you should. Yeah, they're not like TMBG, >but still...y'all should expand horizons whenever possible are they on bar-none? or is that the hallucinogenic drugs? hmm... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Get your 2:1 bootlegs here!*** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 10:04:02 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Selling boot cassettes??? Message-id: On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Beth Connell wrote: > Erm. Wait a minute. I know that people who trade tapes are walking a fine > line between legality and illegality, and basically survive by not getting > caught, but I /know/ that selling boots is very illegal, and is likely to > get a lot of people in trouble (including, unfortunately, and tape traders > caught in the crossfire). This brings up the question of what should we, > if anything, do about it? Is there somewhere we can write (neatly excising > all mentions of tape trades or pages dedicated to said tape trades) or > would it better to say nothing and hope someone else blows these guys in? I wrote and kindly asked him to take off the TMBG tapes he was offering. TMBG, although they don't openly encourage tape trading, have also expressed the sentiment that they don't mind as long as things like this don't happen. And you're completely right, things like this jeopordize our ability to honestly trade tapes (with the questionable policy of 2:1 blanks aside). Interestingly, these people are also offering Phish bootlegs for sale. I don't know how familiar you all are with the Phish culture, but this is the greatest possible sin in their community. Methinks something will come crashing down soon. :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "What makes a person so poisonous, righteous, That they think less of anyone who just disagrees?" -- Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 07:42:45 -0700 From: "Dr. Worm" Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: save the boot swaping! Organization: MailExcite (http://www.mailexcite.com) So what should we do? Should we all e-mail these people and tell them we'll turn them in if they don't yank the TMBG boots? Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971105200718.14505.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: various languages Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 15:07:17 EST Just a little while ago, Matt said: > ...maybe our ultimate goal is to translate _Number 3_ into every > language in the world! ... then everyone in the world will be able to > understand at least 1 song by TMBG. So all you folks who know all > of these languages step forward and join the cause. I've got dibs on Latka Gravas! You so stupid. You so veddy stupid. ____________________ "Gentle" Ben - ...what ... does ... a ... yellow ... light ... mean? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Number Three sung by Yoda! Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:47:33 -0500 Message-Id: <20474339000056@dancingink.com> This song is older than I thought......... :) Only two songs within, have I The third have I written. >From where the inspirational Force came from, I know not These words, written how. 600 years digging have I spent My music grave, shallow it is. For the two song within The song written third, also Love to all.... AugieWan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-309 ******************************