Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-31 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 31 Saturday, 1 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Whither Eric? TMBG: Whither Eric? TMBG: fmsingles.com TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-30 Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? TMBG: I know it's not TMBG, but today is Star Wars day!!! TMBG: Parodies and the like TMBG: Re:re:fw'd yo' mail: Orange juice Re: TMBG: I know it's not TMBG, but today is Star Wars day!!! Re: TMBG: my idea and Re: fwd:yo' mail Non-TMBG: TMBG: TMBG dream #3 in a week TMBG: Edison / S~E~X~X~Y non-TMBG: Wanner help? Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? Re: TMBG: TMBG dream #3 in a week TMBG: Re: TMBG comic TMBG: Ebonics Translator TMBG: 2/21 Show TMBG: The Worst News! TMBG: Re: Irving Plaza 2/14 Re: My weirdest TMBG: dream yet; re: cartoon planet [Fwd: TMBG: The Worst News!] Re: TMBG: Ebonics Translator Re: TMBG: Ebonics Translator Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Re: TMBG: Who sings what. TMBG: Meet James Enso' TMBG: Then we die Re: TMBG: Meet James Enso' Re: TMBG: Then we die Kinda-TMBG: Weirdass Dreams Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199701310808.DAA08042@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 97 03:10:58 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Whither Eric? Okay. Opinions are opinions, but this one seems so popular that something MUST be up. What exactly is the knock on Eric's playing? I've never seen him screw up live, his solos are pretty interesting, he doesn't glom up the songs... what's the problem? I don't remember this violent reaction when Jay Sherman Godfrey was playing with them, and he played just as many solos... I'm very interested in knowing why people feel this way. hmm. -tom. Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701311443.AA00366@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Whither Eric? Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:43:34 -0500 (EST) > Okay. > Opinions are opinions, but this one seems so popular that something > MUST be up. > > What exactly is the knock on Eric's playing? > > I've never seen him screw up live, his solos are pretty > interesting, he doesn't glom up the songs... what's the problem? I > don't remember this violent reaction when Jay Sherman Godfrey was > playing with them, and he played just as many solos... > > I'm very interested in knowing why people feel this way. I think it's more the fact that Eric is unnecessary. For the most part Flans can play lead guitar and there is no need for another guitarist. Certain songs like XTC Vs Adam Ant have that Eric part but it seems that a majority of the people don't care for that song as much as many others anyway. There also has been a feeling that he doesn't seem to belong in TMBG for whatever reason. Some probably think he may have even influenced the johns to make the crunching guitary songs such as XTCVAA, but this is purely speculation. Ilike it wth just the four of them, Johns, Graham and Brian, although the horns can be very nice, too. -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F20993.4932@wwnet.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:02:43 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: fmsingles.com Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > Since everyone was talking about singles and where to get them, I surfed > on over to fmsingles.com the other day to check it out. I ended up > ordering DLS and The Statue Got Me High. This was on Saturday. I got > the singles in the mail today (Thurs), so for the people who were > wondering if fmsingles is any good, I guess that should tell you I just got my copy of Back To Skull yesterday (Thursday) which I ordered on Saturday night. That's way faster than most mail-order services, including music clubs like BMG and Columbia House. THe total cost to me was just under $10 (bulk rate US mail shipping is $3.50.) This may be higher than I'd pay in a music store, but trust me, nobody in this town is ordering Back to Skull and if I special ordered it it would take weeks. So FM singles gets my thumbs up as well, and thanks to whoever posted it to the list. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:34:29 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-30 Message-ID: > ** I think it's all Linnell's work. The guitar chords aren't really that > ** "big." Most of the "bigness" there comes from the keyboard. Besides, > ** Linnell has written songs with big guitar chords - The Statue Got Me > ** High and The End of the Tour are good examples. Spiraling Shape and the > ** Bells are Ringing also work. > > Huh? Wait... Maybe I'm confused, but I didn't think you referred to > plucking individual strings of the guitar as playing 'chords.' Where do you > hear alot of chords in Older? To a rock guitarist, a common chord to play is a "power chord", which consists of two or sometimes three notes - the root, a fifth, and sometimes the next root. These chords are almost always referred to as "big". They are also all over "Older". During the chorus ("Time (DUNG DUNG) is marching on (DUNG DUN), and time.. (DUNG) is still marching on.. (DUNG DUNG DUNG)" there are lots of power chords doubled by Linnell on his keyboard. And the solo.. > a 'little' one, anyway? Also, you know, I think Flansburgh and Linnell play > their respective instruments for a reason. Maybe it's just a wild guess, but I > think Linnell would show Flans his song, and maybe some ideas for the guitar > part, and then Flans, the _guitar_ player, would write the guitar part? I'd assume it doesn't always work like that. And you have to define what you mean by writing a guitar part. Once a song is written, a 7-year-old could write a guitar part for it fairly easily. > Unless > we think Linnell wrote the guitar parts for SenSurround and Destination Moon. In a sense he did. Flans for the most part is echoing Linnell's keyboard parts on both. > Unrelatedly, who thinks we should boot Eric and put Flans back where he > belongs, as lead guitarist of They Might Be Giants, the band he co-founded??? I don't know, but who thinks it's not our position to boot Eric? Last I heard, a band had the final say.. \\\\ (' ') []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward [] "You're older than you've ever been, [] [] joshw@tmbg.org [] and now you're even older, and now [] [] http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw [] you're even older, and now you're [] [] UCS Help Center Consultant [] even older." -- TMBG [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\------------------------------------/[] There is no future, there is no past; thank God this moment's not our last. There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today. -- Jonathan Larson (1960-1996), "Rent" ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:14:59 Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? This Eric thing is about to escalate to war level, I'm afraid. Stop The Insanity!!!!! mouse Quote of the Day: "F@#$ you, you prissy little nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those Prohibitionist Southern Baptist types?" Jack Flansburgh, in one of mouse's wildest TMBG dreams [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:54:25 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: I know it's not TMBG, but today is Star Wars day!!! Message-id: <01IEUZD1TXSW9KPDSZ@lawrence.edu> [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:07:49 Subject: TMBG: Parodies and the like I wrote a parody of S-E-X-X-Y for myself. (Anybody who accuses me of an inflated ego is beggin' to get flamed.)Besides, I'm taking a hell of a lot of creative license and writing it from the point of view of what the two Johns might possibly think of me if they met me. Enjoy. S-T-A-S-I Dressed in odd clothes from her head to her toes You should see how well a date with her goes S-T-A-S-I My favorite nut She's kind of weird But she's not a slut S-T-A-S-I There she is Just got out of bed Hungover again wishes she was dead S-T-A-S-I Why does she spell her name that way? Why 'cause her name's Anastasia It's hard to spell Few can do it well And it's harder to say She's a dateless freak Or so she claims A computer geek With a unique name S-T-A-S-I (Instrumental break) One fingernail is painted black She' gonna paint the rest Bright freakin disco blue S-T-A-S-I- What was her mother thinking when she named her firstborn baby? I think I understand She does all that she can Cause she doesn't have a man..... That's it. It's not one of my best, but it will do.:) mouse Quote of the day: "F@#$ you, you prissy little nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those prohibitionist Southern Baptist types?" Jack Flansburgh, in one of mouse's wildest TMBG dreams ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:21:58 Subject: TMBG: Re:re:fw'd yo' mail: Orange juice Mismirelda wrote, > Please, post it[the reputed rap version of "She's An Angel"]! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen on > list!!! I second that motion, whoever the genius was that wrote "F'wd Yo' Mail".:) >Okay, and the Orange Juice Metaphor.... so what's been going on with that? Ok, so I'm gonna sound like an idiot, but exactly what is the Orange Juice metaphor? Please tell me. Then I'll get some clue as to what y'all are going on about. mouse Quote o' the day: "F@#$ you, you prissy little nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you one of those f@#$ed up Prohibitionist types?" Flans in a dream I had ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:11:12 Subject: Re: TMBG: I know it's not TMBG, but today is Star Wars day!!! If you know it's not TMBG, don't post it ti the TMBG list!!! (I try to make my non-TMBG stuff at least somewhat relevant.) mouse, who doesn't feel like a sig now [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970131142923.006c24c0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:29:25 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Just a little thing, when you reply to a super-long message that was unrelated (but pretty funny) saying not to post stuff like that, don't quote the whole message! And now I'm just adding to the mess! Somebody shoot me! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:51:08 Subject: TMBG: TMBG dream #3 in a week I actually had 2 dreams about TMBG last night, but the first one I didn't write down. :P I just remember listening to JH and dreaming simething nice and pleasant and not weird. Then I woke up, shooed my cat away, and promptly fell back to sleep. The second one I wrote down the second I got up. I was at a wedding.Actually in the bathroom, trying to crawl out a window. My dress kept catching on the windowsill and I couldn't escape. The door opened. Flans walked in and pulled me out of the window. I then realized I was in the Mens room and I was the bride. I asked him what he was doing there. "We're here to help you" he said. The music started to play and I ran out of the bathroom, lifting the skirts to the most prissy, fluffy, overdone yuppie wedding gown I've ever seen. (Wouldn't be caught dead in it RL). I had to stop at a mirror in the hall and I was aghast at what I saw. I was blonde. (I'm a rl brunette and I'd never go blonde for a million bucks.) My mother had probably dressed me. I was wondering if this was one of tho0se dreams where you're actually someone else. Then I started walking down the aisle and recognized my family. I felt terror come over me, though I did nothing to stop it. What, was I posessed? What was going on? When did I get engaged? Was this some practical joke? Was I on drugs? I got to the groom and realized it was Kelly, my last boss. (Kelly is a guy.)I asked myself why I was marrying him, he's gay. At the back, Flans, Linnell, and Brian the drummer were fidgeting and talking among themselves. The minister started and I tried to get myself to stop the proceedings until I could remember anything after the last day of january, 1997. Next thing I know I'm being nudged be Kelly. I said, "Line?" He just stared at me. There was shouting going on at the back of the church. Flans broke through the crowd that was trying to hold him back and with Brian and Linnell in tow he stormed up the aisle , demanding the wedding be stopped. "You can't marry him, Anastasia. HE's gay."they said. I replied,"I know he is. Why the hell am I getting married to him? What's going on?" Linnell said, "Sweetie, up til now it's been out of control. The universe went out of whack and your wedding was a result. The other result is that I've been nailing groupies like there's no tomorrow. Remember?" Alas, I didn't. I then realized it was just me, Linnell, Flans, and Brian. I went for a mirror, mulling over what I'd just learned. Alas, my prayers were answered. The blitz in the universe, only momenmtary, had caused everything from the wedding to my haircolor. I looked myself over very carefully and found the hair ok and my dress was one of my favorites that I wear to church. My world was normal again-almost. They were still there when I came back. We then were at my house. Flans and Brian were watching TV. Linnell and I were cleaning the kitchen. "In about an hour you will forget this had ever happened," he told me. i said "I hope so. I've had enough and I want to go to bed- alone, Mr. Groupie Magnet." And so I went, followed by J&J and Brian who wondered how he'd gotten there. I was by now in pajamas and I crawled into bed. Flans and Linnell tucked me in. Brian found my Lenny and tucked it it with me. Then they each kissed me on top of the forehead and vanished. And then I woke up. I gotta quit having these wierd dreams. mouse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970131143522.006973f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:35:24 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Edison / S~E~X~X~Y I was looking up stuff about Brian Dewan, and I read that he co-wrote Edison Museum with Linnell, and that it was on a rare tribute album? What was the occasion? Why? And how does this fit in with the Edison recording sessions? Did they have that song on a tribute album first and then get invited back, or the other way around? Does anyone else think that S~E~X~X~Y is a pun on the word Excess? (S E X X Y, more than enough.) Try saying it over and over again untill it starts sounding weird. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:11:32 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701312011.PAA19420@sumter.awod.com> From: frankh@awod.com (Bejezus) Subject: non-TMBG: Wanner help? I know how much yous guys love me, so I thought I'd ask ya somethin. My church youth group is going to Romania this summer to help out at an orphanage. We're also going to build them a playground. It takes quite a bit o' money to get to a place like that, and we're running out of time...so I figgered TMBG fans are super-cool and super-nice and might want to help. I know most of you won't care, and that's ok but if any if you want to send a donation, it would be super-duper nice. No, we won't be cramming Jesus down their lil brains, we're just gonna play with them and build them a playground (which has been designed for us by an architect) to play on. So, it doesn't matter how much you send, $1 to $10,000, it will all be greatly appreciated by me and them chilluns. If yer gonna write a check, make it out to IOF which stands for International Outreach Foundation. Please mail em to: Renee Herlong at St. Matthew's Lutheran Church 405 King Street Charleston, SC 29403 Thanks guys and gals, I lub ya, Brother JohnBejezus P.S. - I have to get shots to go on this trip, I hate shots :P * ---------------------------------- Brother JohnBejezus - frankh@awod.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/9677 "...and then forget" - David Thomas * ----------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:28:44 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? Message-ID: Okay, here's my feelings on the Eric S. thing. At first I didn't like his being in the band either for all the reasons other people say. Then I saw Them live with Eric and my opinion totally changed. He wasn't intrusive at all. He wasn't even on stage half the time. I think the only song that he played on that he didn't play on originally (non-FS) was Particle Man and that was during the encore when They understandably wanted the whole band on stage. I'm not worried about all of this. There was lots of fighting about Them getting the other guys when They did John Henry but now pretty much everybody accepts them as part of the band. I think the same will happen with Eric if he stays around for a while. Take it easy, Wubba * ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| * ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:30:25 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG dream #3 in a week Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 31-Jan-97 TMBG: TMBG dream #3 in a week by mousegirl@usa.net > I actually had 2 dreams about TMBG last night, but the first one I didn't writ Well, I might as well share my TMBG dreams, as long as everyone else is... I was at a concert, and I was wearing my CMU sweatshirt because I'd left all my TMBG t-shirts at home (this was the concert I was at on 12/27, and I had the dream before that). And John Linnell somehow was able to read it, and the following dialog ensued: L: "Hey, CMU... I recognize that..... are you, by any chance, lps@andrew.cmu.edu?" Me: "Um, yes..." L: "I read your posts on our newsgroup all the time... you play the accordion right? Can you come up on stage for a second and help us with this next song?" Me: "Um, well, I don't really know how all your songs go, but I suppose I could try..." L: "Well, you posted the chords you'd figured out to it and they were right, so I don't think you'll have a problem..." Me: "What's the song?" L: "Metal Detector." Me: "Oh, OK. I think I can handle that. The intro's in G, right?" L: "Yeah." And then I went up on stage and picked up the accordion, which was much heavier than mine, and they played Metal Detector, with me on the accordion, Linnell on keyboard, and everyone else doing what they usually do. It ended up sounding a lot like the album version, which was really scary, but kind of expected. Then as I was putting the accordion down after the song ended, Linnell said "Wait, you can play Subliminal, too, right?" Doh. I think I woke up at that point, because I don't remember actually playing Subliminal. Either that or I jumped to the part of the dream where I was playing She's an Angel... I think I ended up staying on stage the whole time.... it's hard to tell. But strangely enough, that same concert seems to be a recurring theme in my TMBG related dreams - I was at the same show, not playing the accordion, and they decided to do stump the band. I was standing in the front row, right against the railing, and Flans came down off the stage and asked me to pick a song. I asked for Magic 8 Ball, by cub. And they played it. And it was absolutely perfect, even down to the accordion part. And then they broke into Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, I guess because they're in the same key and have similar chord progressions... I don't know. My dreams are very surreal in that respect. I also thought I had a dream where they played Lincoln in order, but then I woke up and found myself listening to a tape in the car... the tape was of Lincoln. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:38:11 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG comic Message-Id: >Hee hee, I like that! In fact.. who here is contributing to the TMBG >drawings thing that Cuper is organizing? If you are, enclose a picture of >yourself. :) I did. Hmmm...I might. I don't really have any decent looking photos of me at all. The only picture I like is @ http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/concert/adam.jpg , but that's just because of the person beside me. :> (I'd send that in, but that picture makes my head look really narrow. :) I'm finished with my part of the comic. It...sucks pretty badly, but at least it's done. :> I'm going to mail it off this weekend to Cuper... /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970131163801.0070745c@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 16:38:01 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Ebonics Translator [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:14:42 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970131181331_74449645@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: 2/21 Show I will be attending the Feb. 21 Show (YEAHHHHHHHHH), with my little sister. Who else is going? I would like to meet many of yu'al! Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ ~~!!@@!!~~ < (Don't ask me who this is supposed to represent b/c I have no clue!) |=====| ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 19:02:17 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: The Worst News! Message-ID: The worst news I could possibly hear would probably be that Linnell and Flans were splitting up and ending TMBG. However, when I think about it, perhaps a post-TMBG break up world wouldn't be so incredibly horrible. I mean, asides from TMBG, Monopuff is one of my favorite groups, and I think Unsupervised is a great album. And I have heard a lot of praise for some of Linnell's solo work. All I'm saying is that there would still surely be some good music coming out (something along the lines of the generally good music McCartney and Lennon produced after the Beatles split up). Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 05:10:21 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F1EF3D.685D@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Irving Plaza 2/14 Joshua Hall-Bachner wrote: > > So. I've located people who are taping the 2/7 and 2/21 shows. Who's going > to the 2/14 show? And is anybody gonna be taping it? C'mon, people! :) > > Also, if Kilroy gets to have Happy Birthday played on her birthday (2/7) can > I get Happy Birthday played on mine (2/21)? > > /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ > | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | > |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | > \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ I'll tape it if I can get there. I'm in SLC, UT, but may be able to get to the show. I either want to go to that one or 2/21 Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 05:21:11 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F1F1C7.2731@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: My weirdest TMBG: dream yet; re: cartoon planet KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > >Didnt TMBG do the music at the end of Cartoon Planet? > Yeah, the opening was No One Knows My Plan (just the intro replayed), and the > closing was The End Of The Tour. I don't think they do it anymore though... > Elektra probably wanted more $$$$$$$. > > sarah :) If I recall correctly, during the credits it said "music by They Might Be Giants, they're nice." then it said something about getting permission from Elektra and gave 2 names "!@#$%^& and !@#$%^. They're not nice." Jeremy Mathews Holmes: Dear Watson, Do you wish us dead? Watson: Only one of us! From the movie They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F2A07E.397D@oeonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:46:38 -0500 From: John Drauss Subject: [Fwd: TMBG: The Worst News!] The dorks on the TMBG list keep themselves busy by worrying about stuff like this: [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:11:25 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Ebonics Translator Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote: > translated in Ebonics copy. Apparently someone knows about this and they sent > in the lyrics to "You'll miss me" and came up with the aforemention "if you'll > miss me was rap" message, titled, I believe, Fwd. Yo'Mail. Yo' mail being the > subject of everything that comes back from the Ebonics translator. > Actually, just to clear things up, anything that has "Yo' mail," on it is something else- that is the Jive translator. The address to that is jive@ifi.unizh.ch, and if you send a message to that, it will return it in jive. It's pretty fun, when I originally brought the address to the list, we all sent a bunch of Their songs over there and posted them in Jive..."You'll miss me" in Jive is fun, as was "Spiralling Shape". Anyone want me to re-post it? *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ Stefanie Elliott "Far worse to be Love's lover than the lover that Love has scorned" smelliot@indiana.edu -Nick Cave, "I Let Love In" **StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:20:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970131212024_1179083735@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Ebonics Translator I sent them the beginning of Birdhouse, and it came back... I'm yo' only homey, I'm not yo' only homey, but I'm some little glowin' homey, but ah' am. "I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend, but I'm a little glowing friend, but I am. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:09:35 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F20B2F.42EA@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Ryan Staib wrote: > Unrelatedly, who thinks we should boot Eric and put Flans back where he > belongs, as lead guitarist of They Might Be Giants, the band he co-founded??? > > RS Damn right we should. SEXXY was so great before ES came in. I melted when I heard that live version. If it wasn't for the great songs Schim could have ruined those. I don't think he has really added anything. I play guitar, and I certainly don't think unorigional guitar parts are to great. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:19:41 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F20D8D.4789@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > The lead guitar parts on Factory Showroom are mostly played by Eric > Schermerhorn, and are most notably found in Till My Head Falls Off, How > Can I Sing Like a Girl, Metal Detector, NYC, and Spiraling Shape. (you > know that background part in Spiraling Shape? That's not Flans...) You know the lead guitar in NYC and How Can I Sing Like A Girl? That's not Schermerhorn... It's Lyle Workman on NYC, and Jay Sherman Godfrey on Sing. I think ES might have done something on Sing, while JSG did the Slide part, but it loses much charm on the occasions where They play the whole thing live. > I saw a concert in December where Eric didn't play at all. And they > played some songs with lead guitar, and basically left out those parts > How Can I Sing Like a Girl was about two minutes shorter than usual, and > New York City ended with no instrumental ending. But they played > were left out or modified - Subliminal, Pet Name, S-E-X-X-Y (another > song that was shortened significantly), and XTC vs. Adam Ant. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702010340.WAA16968@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:41:53 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Meet James Enso' Whoever's page this is stole all the credit, this is actually the jive address. I know some people are annoyed by this, but it's damn funny. Especially "understand the man" Meet James Enso', Belgium's famous painter. Ah be baaad... Dig him down and shake his hand, appreciate da damn man. 'S coo', bruh. Befo'e dere wuz junk sto'es, befo'e dere wuz junk, He lived wid his moda' and da damn to'ments uh Christ. De wo'ld wuz transfo'med, some crowd gadered 'round. Pressed against his window so's dey could be da damn fust To meet James Enso', Belgium's famous painter, raise some glass and sit and stare, dig it de man. 'S coo', bruh. He lost all his homeys, he dun didn't need his homeys He lived wid his moda' and repeated himself De wo'ld gots'ta fo'gotsten de wo'ld moved along, de crowd at his window went back t'deir plantations. Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mics and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702010357.WAA30211@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 22:59:28 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Then we die I know this is my second post, but I'm a wacky guy. 1. I won't post it, but for your own sake, ebonicize Puppet head. 2. My wack wacky wacky TMBG dream: I was following TMBG around christmas time. The had finished a concert somewhere in California, and they finnaly acknowledged my presence. We talked, and they asked if I was hungry, and I said yes. We went to a truck stop that I remember had some TMBG relevance, but I don't remeber what. I got a chicken sandwich and both the Johns got coffee. Eric and Grahm were talking to some guys at the bar, and they were messing with those little juke boxes. Flans looked at me and said. "So Fan-Boy, you wanna hear the new single?" I said yes and assumed they were going to play S~E~X~X~Y on the juke box, but instead Linnell grabbed his accordion and started to play the begining of "Light My Fire" by the doors. Flans smacked him and said "You dumb-shit John! That was supposed to be a surprise!" So they went out to the van to get the rest of their equiptment. And here's where it gets wacky. The found that all of their instruments were there, but the puppet heads were gone. Flans didn't say anything, and they set up. They played "On the Drag" which really made me happy, 'cause It's one of my favorite songs. At the end, Eric fell over and broke his nuts (weird dream huh?) and the johns askeds if I could play guitar. I said yes and so I went up on stage. They started to play birdhouse, but I didn't play it like the live version, with the crappy solo in the opening. Flans got all pissed and said "Well Fucker, these drunk drivers wanted to hear something they'd reckognize and you screwed with it!" We started to play She was a hotel detective. When it came to the high part, Flans told me to sing. I did and all the drivers clapped. We finished with How can I sing like a girl but he made it "Rob can only sing like a girl" and then he litterally kicked me off stage. Then I woke up, and NYC was on the radio. Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mics and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 20:22:22 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Meet James Enso' >Whoever's page this is stole all the credit, this is actually the jive >address. I know some people are annoyed by this, but it's damn funny. Count me as one of the annoyed. "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." Bob Gonsalves, Research Director Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics home: http://www.pinknoiz.com work: http:/www.aphasia.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 31 Jan 97 23:57 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Then we die Flans looked at me and said. "So Fan-Boy, you wanna hear the >new single?" I said yes and assumed they were going to play S~E~X~X~Y on >the juke box, but instead Linnell grabbed his accordion and started to play >the begining of "Light My Fire" by the doors. Flans smacked him and said >"You dumb-shit John! That was supposed to be a surprise!" (Kirsten gaffaws) That is *the* most hilarious thing I've read on here, I swear. How come *I* never have really cool TMBG dreams? The most interesting one I've had lately was one where I was in a record store, and suddenly TMBG came in and started playing. It turned out they were doing an instore that nobody knew about. So I was like, "Wow! Wait'll all the people on the list hear about this!" Afterward, I got to meet them and shake Linnell's hand. I wanted to ask for his autograph, but since I heard he didn't like to give autographs, I didn't. He had a good handshake. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970131235742.006948cc@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:57:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Kinda-TMBG: Weirdass Dreams I must be sane. I've never had a dream about Them. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-31 *****************************