Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-310 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 310 Friday, 7 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: i can't explain it... TMBG: more stuff. NON-TMBG: Nerf Herder TMBG: TWO New TMBG Images! TMBG: or.. Re: TMBG: Number Three sung by Yoda! TMBG: ramblings TMBG: Linnell interview TMBG: Dead Re: TMBG: Dead TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! TMBG: the linnell interview... TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Re: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Re: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! TMBG: I'm Def... TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island TMBG: selling TMBG boots TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island TMBG: def, def, def, def, def. TMBG: Everyone plead for freedom! TMBG: NEWSFLASH: TMBG--I'M DEF... Re: TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island TMBG: Def- the (no Talking just) Heads sing Mrs. Train TMBG: dallas fans?? TMBG: We're Def! : The TMBG Tribute Album Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots TMBG: it's still moderated? TMBG: Yet Another Update Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Re: TMBG: it's still moderated? Re: TMBG: it's still moderated? TMBG: TMBG coming to the university of Delaware Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots TMBG: trytophan Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Re: TMBG: I'm Def... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <83F7643C.1B78@baka.com> Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1904 01:24:12 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: TMBG: i can't explain it... I heard the COOLEST thing on the RADIO this MORNING!!!(random caps are good, boys and girls- but annoying, so I'll stop now). My local radio station, a typical "alternative" college radio station which plays TMBG occasionally, played one of their little station blurbs. You know, the kind which is like "You're locked into 92 WICB. WOOHAH!" preceded by a little soundbite-type thing. And what was that soundbite-type thing, you ask? It was some lady, I forget her name, Gloria or something, saying "I can't explain it... 'cause I don't know what it is." Now this means that someone on the station is actually familiar enough with TMBG to have listened to Misc. T. This is a good thing. Yes it is. It almost makes me want to forgive them for playing all, like, six zillion(or at least three) the new Oasis singles but hardly playing the new self single at all. Thank you, radio gods(primitive or not). Hmmm... what else to add... ah, yes. AugieWan. AugieWan, AugieWan. 'Tis good to see a person with a sense of humor on this list what am a bit more subtle than Mr. Leffel. It's like tea and biscuits. Or green eggs and ham. Or... you get the idea. But in the future, do not rouse the ire(what a cool word) of our listserv maintainer. He's actually pretty cool, though censorship in general just SUCKS. Yes, that's right. CENSORSHIP IS BAD. Is this news to anyone? Didn't think so. -- "She said to me, 'I love it when you're mean. Don't you know it's BORING when it's quiet and serene?'"-Violent Femmes "I AM STARVING IN AFRICA! SEND ME GIANT MEATBALL!!"-Happy Noodle Boy Jonah, the godfather of funk ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34614145.1FBC8904@netsense.net> Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 23:02:13 -0500 From: Kathy Hardiman Subject: TMBG: more stuff. i'm surprised at the number of you that we're at lupo's, and the number of y'all that live nearby. most of you asked the same questions, so here are the answers... 1. sorry, i don't have a tape of the lupo's show. it was a great show!!! one of the best!! 2. my radio show is on every thursday, for the rest of the semester, from 12-2pm on 90.7 wxin fm. the giants fest is random. i do special music fests when i'm not creative enough to do show prep. other giants rich shows....12-1pm on tuesdays (monopuff too!!), and 12-2pm on 88.1fm on sundays. nice speaking to you. .....anyone here on ICQ??? ---kathy. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:17:11 -0700 Subject: NON-TMBG: Nerf Herder Message-ID: <19971105.212236.11854.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >There's a new Java-powered Nerf Herder chat room up on the NH >'Nerfherderdom' site - check it out! http://coincide.com/nerfherder hEy HEy... to everyone that wrote me about Nerf Herder i'd just like to pass this info along that the people at the official NH site sent me... =) now to make this tmbg-esque i'd just like to say that everyone should go to #tmbg on Efnet (and #nerfherder!) oh yeah, and www.tourdates.com/ is totally off their whacker when they said that TMBG was playing at the Merc lounge on the 7th... don't listen to them! it;s a conspiracy! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711060444.WAA18611@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: TWO New TMBG Images! Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:29:53 -0600 I guess the contrib address is more likely to see the faster updates.... but anyway, I've made two new images! Port1.gif and tmgh42a.gif... I hope you like them! One's a Devil Went Down to Newport image, and the other one is a pretty special TMBG one too... http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html Mike "Damned if I can't stop" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711060446.WAA18654@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: or.. Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 22:32:09 -0600 I guess the non-contrib one works too.. hell, I don't know anymore... use both of em for all I care! http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html Mike "Evolve or die!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 00:10:34 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: Number Three sung by Yoda! Message-id: <3461514A.2B61@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 > Only two songs within, have I > The third have I written. > >From where the inspirational Force came from, I know not > These words, written how. > > 600 years digging have I spent > My music grave, shallow it is. > For the two song within > The song written third, also I think this is my favorite version yet :) ~~Sarita! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 01:55:20 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: ramblings Message-ID: > a must! And since no one asked, here are my thoughts on possible > questions: > 1. Top 5 TMBG songs (5 points for #1, 4 for #2, etc., or 3 points for > each if unranked) > 2. Favorite TMBG album > 3. Favorite Mono Puff song > 4. Favorite TMBG cover > 5. Favorite opening act Of course, this one assumes that most people have the good fortune to be able to go to TMBG shows, which is sadly not true. There are definite geographical limitations on a lot of us. :( And I don't know what on earth is wrong with me, but most of the grad schools I'm applying to aren't in areas that are much more TMBG-friendly than here (Off-topic but just a real quick question: Are there any grad students in English at CU-Boulder or at the U. of Iowa on the list with anything advicey to tell me? Or any students there at all, for that matter? Or any grad students in English anywhere?). > 6. Favorite non-TMBG musical act (You mean there are others ...?) *no*!! Actually, speaking of a band a lot of TMBG fans like, this is really weird--I heard Ben Folds Five in the grocery store yesterday! I guess that just seemed like the last place I expected to hear them, right in between the Bee Gees and Neil Diamond (both staples of the standard grocery store musical collection). The song was Brick. And it sounds nice and tame enough for that context, but I just kept imagining "For Those of Y'all Who Wear Fanny Packs" showing up in there instead. :-D (anybody else think this odd b-side is the funniest thing you've ever heard? I sure do. :) Speaking of music played in the grocery store, I've been in there and heard a Neil Diamond cover of "I Dreamed a Dream" from _Les Miserables_. I kid you not. And on that note, I think it's time for me to go to bed. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3461C9E4.4181@rica.net> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:45:08 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Linnell interview Again, an article from the JMU paper, this time a short review with Linnell www.jmu.edu/current/style/giants1.html Joey ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Dead Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:49:12 -0500 Message-Id: <13562732800246@dancingink.com> * ------------------------------------------ I sent in a song from Yoda, Accidentally killing everyone who even bothered reading it. I didn't know by singing three, The way that Yoda sings a song would make all people stop writing the list. * ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:52:08 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Dead Message-ID: since the list is moderated, leo has to take the time to read each message sent before he posts. thus it takes a lot more time to see your message on the list; sometimes it even takes a day or more. did a lot of conversation happen while you looked the other way, and was everybody going on without you? no, it's only a time when the list is boring 'cause everyone's dead or they're still alive and they've nothing they want to say... yes, it's only a time when the list is boring 'cause everyone's dead or they're still alive and they've nothing they waaant to saaaay..... -jim kuemmerle, who will never say the words 'kill, kill, kill, kill, kill me now' again... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 to be updated any day now. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971106160837.12903.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:08:36 EST I'm happy to announce that negotiations for the long-awaited TMBG tribute album have FINALLY been worked out! All the lawyers got together under one roof... we dropped it on them... and out of the rubble emerged... We're Def! : The Songs of They Might Be Giants! Featuring a vast array of popular artists covering your favorite TMBG songs! Here's the first track... "Hope That I Get Old Before I Die" by Pete Townshend "I think it's prob'ly the bloody best song of the late '80s," says Pete, by telephone from his New York flat. "The sent'ment expressed by this song is one that I gradually 'ave come to agree with, and I'm proud that I could record it for this tribute album." Pete's blistering guitar licks, coupled with a pounding drum track from Phil Rudd and backing vocals from William S. Burroughs, give new life to this Giants standard! produced by Don Was recorded and mixed at Electric Ladyland studios More songs later as the copyrights clear! ******************** "Gentle" Ben - is eating his Naked Lunch. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:12:36 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the linnell interview... Message-ID: the address previously posted is fraudulent. the correct address is: http://breeze.jmu.edu/current/style/giants1.html ^^^^^^ -jim kuemmerle, who promises not to kill you. ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:19:46 -0500 Message-Id: <16195460900369@dancingink.com> Second on the list of contributers to "We're Def!", the tribute album to TMBG, is Frank Sinatra! "I've wanted to give tribute to these fine young men for quite awhile", reported Mr. Sinatra. The track selected for Frank was "Dig My Grave" "Noone actually expected him to sing it." Don Was commented,"We just wanted him to go away, but we have to include it now." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971106113029.006a3578@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:30:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Great Jiminy Christmas! Is this for real? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971106113329.0069a024@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:33:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Wow, I saw a preliminary tracklisting at tmbg.org, and there's some really interesting stuff on there. Marilyn Manson is covering "The Biggest One". There's also a quote from Marilyn, who said that there are so many crossover TMBG-MM fans that he felt obligated to contribute... /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: We're Def! : The New Tribute Album! Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:29:19 -0500 Message-Id: <17292729600467@dancingink.com> Rumor has it that the Replacements are going to sing "We're the Replacements" !!! That would be too cool! :) Also: ZZ Top has already recorded Santa's beard. This is going to be the coolest Tribute album ever made. Yippy! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711061852.MAA08033@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: I'm Def... Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:38:00 -0600 It seems that the reason why REM's drummer left was because he was totally against the band performing ISTANBUL on the new tribute album. "Michael Stipe just does NOT look good in a turban, no matter how many Mad Arabs are standing next to him!" he told Leeza Gibbons on Monday. The respected talk show host asked the tough questions about music, life, fashion and cooking. On a side note, the All Mad Arab version of Sleeping In The Flowers will not be officially released, due to a religious squabble over where recording microphones were placed. Also, since none of the selected Mad Arabs could speak english, it sounds pretty bad. However, Mostly Mozart's cover of Dinner Bell with special guest Luciano Pavarotti will be in the promotional video shown in participating K-Mart stores. > Hmmm... what else to add... ah, yes. AugieWan. AugieWan, AugieWan. 'Tis > good to see a person with a sense of humor on this list what am a bit > more subtle than Mr. Leffel. Oh, I can do subtle... ^_^ KNOCK KNOCK! WHO'S THERE? SOME GUY SAT ON YOUR CAT!! HA HA! YOU IS FUNNY! YOUR CAT IS DEAD! HA HA! YOU MAKE ME LAFF! HE WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE CATS! HA HA HA!!! NO! THEY ARE ALL GONE! HE WILL TAKE ANY DOGS! HA! HA! HA! MY SIDES ACHE! BECAUSE I AM LAUGHING! Mike "Subtle *THIS*, Communist!" Leffel ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971106105640.00715dd8@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:57:08 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island >Yes, it's me, that semi-nutso guy who decided last year to do a survey of >TMBG fans on this list, and post the results on the web. Well, I'm >beginning to feel as though I'm keeping outdated information, so I've >debated something I never thought I'd do...DO A SECOND SURVEY. I guess >I'm just curious....is everyone interested in a second survey like this? I am! One of the cooler threads (IMHO) on this list was the time when someone went around and surveyed TMBG fans on what else they liked. It was eerie how many things I had in common with other TMBG fans besides TMBG. (For the record, _The Princess Bride_ finished first. Also in the top ten was Dave Barry, Calvin and Hobbes, and... *memory fails* >Ok, I think I've seen this game or whatever but where?!? Someone please >desribe it. I think my cousin has it. If so it is so cool. I love it. _Secret Of Monkey Island_ is a damn cool game. It's spawned a sequel and I think another one is in the works. It's a very light-hearted adventure game, with visual jokes galore, weird encounters, a weirder plot, and often hilarious dialogue. The original had 256-color graphics that STILL look great, darn it, and the music is terrif'. Go out and play it if you haven't already! --nicole the wonder nerd who fights like a dairy farmer. *** "All I need is a Scantron sheet, a number two lead, and a small cheat sheet... not to mention my own divine intervention."--Eddie From Ohio Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:30:40 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Message-Id: I understand why people are angry that this company is selling TMBG bootlegs, but the people who are angry also probably have bootlegs, and can trade. I don't own any bootlegs. Almost everyone I have tried to contact in an attempt to get some TMBG boots have told me that they'll only trade; since I don't have any, how am I supposed to get started, unless I buy some from this place? Liam ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711061941.AA01079@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:41:37 -0500 (EST) > >Ok, I think I've seen this game or whatever but where?!? Someone please > >desribe it. I think my cousin has it. If so it is so cool. I love it. > > _Secret Of Monkey Island_ is a damn cool game. It's spawned a sequel and I > think another one is in the works. It's a very light-hearted adventure > game, with visual jokes galore, weird encounters, a weirder plot, and often > hilarious dialogue. The original had 256-color graphics that STILL look > great, darn it, and the music is terrif'. Go out and play it if you > haven't already! > Hmm, this sounds like a game from a few years back, perhaps we could find it on our computer store shelves for under $10? I'd be interested in getting it but I am damn low on cash. Goodbye, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 13:09:00 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: def, def, def, def, def. Message-ID: chip davis, the leader of mannheim steamroller, (best known for their christmas albums) has decided to record a version of monopuff's 'careless santa' using handbells, a hammered dulcimer, and a string quartet. there will be no vocals. this song, however, will not be included on the 'we're def' tribute album, because it is not, technically speaking, a they might be giants song. -jim kuemmerle, who gave his dulcimer a fifth of vodka just to try it. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ updates IN PROGRESS! ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Everyone plead for freedom! Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:49:29 -0500 Message-Id: <20493803100637@dancingink.com> I swear to you all, this is NOT an "anti-Leo" or "negativity towards the list-admin" type of posting. I would like to address you all to realize that Leo has been forced to moderate the list because of a mountain of complaints he has received about the list. Many complain about the "one-line posts" and "me too posts", and others complain about the subject matter getting off the beaten path. I ask you all to decide now, if you like it better now? Leo has been checking every post before letting them through, BECAUSE so many people demanded it. Do you like the long waits before your posts show up on the list? Do you LIKE it better NOW? If you noticed, not very many listies posted yesterday. I think that happened because it's just not as fun when you have to wait so long to see responses. There are two options: 1) Everyone that complained can "somehow" enjoy what the list has become and leave it as is. OR 2) ALL of us can SWEAR we'll be good boys and girls, and plead to Leo to lift the moderation. If you would like to help, send him a letter at bicknell@ufp.org Long live the fun! :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711062055.PAA23560@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 15:55:13 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: NEWSFLASH: TMBG--I'M DEF... Making one of the most megalomaniacal moves since Van Morrison produced his own tribute CD, They Might Be Giants have chosen to cover themselves on a new collection, _We're Def! The Songs of They Might Be Giants_. The "Twin Quasars of Rock" decided to record a _third_ version of "James K. Polk", which, in a sense, becomes a second cover of their original song. Usually more given to spontaneity than perfectionism, the Johns seemingly cannot decide on a "final" version of the song, which laments the anonymity of the 11th president of the United States. The track appearing on _We're Def!_ differs little from the previous two studio versions of the song, with one notable exception. In the first "James K. Polk", a "bridge" is sung, mimicking the melody of the song in an overwrought Monty Python Lumberjack fashion. In the second version, the singing "La's" are replaced with a singing saw. For _We're Def!_, the singing saw that replaced the singing "La's" is redone by a singing dog, egged on by John and John on inaudible dog whistle. "First, we did a (Dial-a-Song) "I'd Like To Teach a Dog to Sing", Big John Flansburgh says. "Then we scrapped that and decided we actually would have to teach a dog to sing." "We figured we'd start slow, with part of 'James K. Polk'," Little John Linnell continues. "But the stupid mutt couldn't get past barking 'la, la' all day, so 'James K. Polk' it had to be." Similarly, in other _We're Def!_ news, producer Don Was failed in his attempt to locate the Meat Puppets, who the Giants covered with 1993's "Whirlpool", to have the Meat Puppets cover They Might Be Giants' rendition of the song. Reports out of the Arizona desert have the Meat Puppets, largely missing since Kurt Cobain heralded them as musical messiahs during Nirvana's session of "MTV Unplugged", trapped in their own acid whirlpool. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711062118.PAA10983@mixcom.mixcom.com> Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:18:07 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: Re: TMBG: Somewhat TMBG--survey, Monkey Island >_Secret Of Monkey Island_ is a damn cool game. It's spawned a sequel and I >think another one is in the works. It's been through the works, it's being released the week of Nov. 10th, I have my copy reserved! "Adults are just obsolete children, and the Hell with them."--(Dr.Seuss) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 13:25:16 -0800 (PST) From: Sarah Winningham Message-Id: <199711062125.NAA01050@sal-sun23.usc.edu> Subject: TMBG: Def- the (no Talking just) Heads sing Mrs. Train Heres a german minimum wage (from my brother): Mindeslohn............. Heil! (The heil should probably justy be hyaaaa or Ach! or somthin) Sarah "my love is mighty tuff" Winningham ------------------------------ From: megordon@onramp.net Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:39:00 -0500 Subject: TMBG: dallas fans?? help! i was so excited about going to see tmbg at Trees in Dallas this saturday, but my friend (who was supposed to get tickets) waited too long...and...well, you know the rest of the story. so---if any dallasites on the list have extra tickets PLEASE let me know. i'm desperate at this point!!! still remaining hopeful, meg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971106221445.5854.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: We're Def! : The TMBG Tribute Album Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:14:44 EST Breathlessly awaiting the next Pop/Rock icon to cover a tune from the They Might Be Giants canon???? Me, too! It's.................. "Letterbox" by Bob Dylan "Dubba de shuva comnet 'lebberbux' de comma deeple!", rock great Bob Dylan enthused after recording his deeply personal cover of this classic hit. Recorded in Bob's hospital room during recovery from his recent health problems, fans of Dylan AND the Giants will no doubt be stunned upon discovering this beautiful recording, and may actually weep from the experience. More tracks will be announced later, I'm sure! ******************** "Gentle" Ben - alba allonga watchtowah! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971106172618.006a62b4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:26:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Well, everyone has to start somewhere. :) Some people out there are cool enough to do a 2:1 trade (where you send them 2 blank tapes for 1 tape of material). That way, you both get something out of it, even though no money exchanges hands. At 11:30 AM 11/6/97 -0800, you wrote: >I understand why people are angry that this company is selling TMBG >bootlegs, but the people who are angry also probably have bootlegs, and >can trade. I don't own any bootlegs. Almost everyone I have tried to contact >in an attempt to get some TMBG boots have told me that they'll only trade; >since I don't have any, how am I supposed to get started, unless I buy some >from this place? > >Liam > > ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711062226.AA01381@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: it's still moderated? Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:26:20 -0500 (EST) The list doesn't seem moderated, I'm getting a steady stream of posts the last couple of days. Are you sure it's still moderated? Seems ok to me. Heck, I'm hearing some Non-TMBG content even in here, it can't be moderated still.... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711070007.SAA14073@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Yet Another Update Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:53:06 -0600 What do you get when you cross "I am not your broom" with the Kaiser? Also, The Devil Went Down To Newport, and The Real TMBG Ghostbusters from last night.... More to come by weeks end. http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html Mike "FishBulb" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:06:30 -0500 (EST) From: Chad M Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > Well, everyone has to start somewhere. :) Some people out there are cool > enough to do a 2:1 trade (where you send them 2 blank tapes for 1 tape of > material). That way, you both get something out of it, even though no > money exchanges hands. And others trade for nothing and will gladly tape for you if you send a tape and postage. Those people get nothing for taping for you (thus there is no profit for trading - in a 2 for 1 trade the person taping for you profits a tape which is generally rationalized as pay back for the time spent dubbing and the deck wear and tear). More or less, you just gotta find someone who will tape for you. The web is a good resource. If you find someone who has stuff you want, just ask. Either they'll bite your head off for asking, ignore the email, or tape for you. Only one of those does any harm to you really and that is only if you are a sensitive type --==-- Chad Maloney OperCMM@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu "Who fruvoused the cat??" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:11:25 -0500 (EST) From: Chad M Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: it's still moderated? Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: > The list doesn't seem moderated, I'm getting a steady stream of posts > the last couple of days. Are you sure it's still moderated? > Seems ok to me. Heck, I'm hearing some Non-TMBG content even in here, > it can't be moderated still.... I'm getting messages in spurts, so I'd guess it still is. I think Leo is just being reasonalbe about what to let in and what not. Most of the complaining was about one line and me too posts and there haven't been much of those lately. Dunno... I guess it doesn't make a lot difference from our end, it is just that Leo has more work to do. I think it is great that he is willing to put as much time in as it takes to make the list a cool place. Thanks Leo... --==-- Chad Maloney OperCMM@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu "Who fruvoused the cat??" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971106192456.0069caa4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 19:24:56 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: it's still moderated? It seems to be, at least on my end. I haven't been getting a steady stream of posts...more like a flood at once. -Adam At 05:26 PM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote: >The list doesn't seem moderated, I'm getting a steady stream of posts >the last couple of days. Are you sure it's still moderated? >Seems ok to me. Heck, I'm hearing some Non-TMBG content even in here, >it can't be moderated still.... >Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > > ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: TMBG coming to the university of Delaware Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:00:51 -0500 Message-ID: <01bceb18$97de4500$5f47af80@rayst71-95.rayst.udel.edu> TMBG will be performing December 3rd at 9pm at the University of Delaware in the Trabant University Center Multi-Purpose room. I'm not sure whether tickets are available to the public outside of the U of D campus, but either way, they are $10.00 and will be available beginning Monday at the Box Office in the Trabant Center. harlan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971106202356.00853230@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 20:23:56 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots At 05:26 PM 11/6/97 -0500, you wrote: >Well, everyone has to start somewhere. :) Some people out there are cool >enough to do a 2:1 trade (where you send them 2 blank tapes for 1 tape of >material). That way, you both get something out of it, even though no >money exchanges hands. > Not that I WANT to start this back up, but the people that do 2:1 are not the mighty cool people. (Not that I have anything against them. Some of my best friends do 2:1.) That honor is reserved for those who actually do a newbie a favor, 1:1ers. But, we've already done that one up and down. Check the archives for the arguements for and against both sides. Also, to the person who asked about ICQ, that was another thread that you'll want to check the archives for. Lotsa listies have it. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711070214.AA23110@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: trytophan Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:14:56 -0500 (EST) I'm watching Seinfeld and it's an episode where Jerry's trying to put his gf to sleep so that he can play with all of the toys she has. So George comes by with a huge turkey and some wine and the woman asks what the drug is that puts you to sleep and both George and Jerry say: Trytophan! Just a little monopuff-type relation there I suppose. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711070220.AA23120@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: selling TMBG boots Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:20:29 -0500 (EST) > And others trade for nothing and will gladly tape for you if you send a > tape and postage. Those people get nothing for taping for you (thus there > is no profit for trading - in a 2 for 1 trade the person taping for you > profits a tape which is generally rationalized as pay back for the time > spent dubbing and the deck wear and tear). What about the profit you receive for getting all of that material on a tape? After all, you are trading 1 blank tape to the taper for 1 tape full of material that you once never had. It's not like you are giving them money but are trading an item: a blank tape. The 1:1 method is ok if the tapee takes care of the postage, though. 2:1 is somewhat of a misnomer since the taper doesn't get to keep 2 tapes. Matt, who thinks some may have confusion about this. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:35:24 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Def... Message-ID: <39811C7789@athena.valpo.edu> i'm assuming this i'm def thing is a joke. pretty funny though. can't wait to hear beck's remix of 'mainstream usa,' (which actually would work) and abbott and costello's interpretation of the phone conversation. and what about rick james's cover of sexxy. and everybody's favorite, hootie and the blowfish doing their tribute cover of 'pet name.' hanson--toddler highway, the list goes on and on... as for the mp3 bootleg that i'm trying to assemble, it will be ready as soon as i can figure out how the hell to work windows 95. seriously, i hate it. and the sad part is that all future windows programs will look like modified versions of 95 and not 3.11. damn windows 95, damn it to hell. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-310 ******************************