Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-312 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 312 Sunday, 9 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 11/6 concert pics TMBG: 11/7/97 show at CMU TMBG: Meat Puppets..sorta related but not really... Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets..sorta related but not really... TMBG: JMU show review TMBG: tourdates - rumors confirmed TMBG: John Henry TMBG: I'm Still Def... TMBG: I'm Still Def... TMBG: Huh? What did you say? Def... Re: TMBG: Huh? What did you say? Def... Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... TMBG:Well, maybe not Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 02:13:40 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 11/6 concert pics Message-ID: Howdy folks. I just added to my page 27 new concert pics from the 11/6 show at the Mercury Lounge! More great pics to come, possibly every week. -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711080816.DAA04279@cmu1.acs.cmu.edu> Subject: TMBG: 11/7/97 show at CMU Date: Sat, 8 Nov 97 03:21:24 -0500 From: Ben Spees Hi there, this is my first post to the list. I went to my first TMBG show on Friday Nov. 7, at Carnegie Mellon, and it was great. I thought I'd post the setlist and a few comments. (I also got an excellent recording of the show on DAT, for those who care about such things, and I'll be putting up some mp3s on the web shortly.) Intro/Mission Impossible Triboro (new instrumental) James K. Polk She's Actual Size I Palindrome I New York City Birdhouse In Your Soul S-E-X-X-Y Don't Let's Start Meet James Ensor Dr. Worm Twistin' No One Knows My Plan Dig My Grave Shoehorn With Teeth Istanbul Pet Name Ana Ng Spy You're Older 'Til My Head Falls Off Spider The Guitar ----- Exquisite Dead Guy (w/ puppet heads) Particle Man How Can I Sing Like A Girl Interesting things, some probably mentioned before, some maybe not... They shot off a confetti cannon during James K. Polk, and it was indeed filled with shredded money -- or something that looks a whole lot like it -- as well as regular confetti. They also botched the beginning of S-E-X-X-Y -- Linnell started singing his part while Flans was trying to make his dedication. It was funny. He did finish his dedication "to all the ladies out in the audience" and they went on to play what I thought was a great version of the song despite the lack of string accompaniment. Dr. Worm was really well performed. The glockenspiel on Shoehorn with Teeth has also been mentioned.... Is it just me, or did they play the glock fewer times live than they did on the recorded version? Other stuff that was interesting... Birdhouse in Your Soul was prefaced by, "We didn't play this last night for the first time in a long while, and as a result the show totally sucked. So it's back in the set!" They also attempted to play Ana Ng without electricity. Older, whose title I think is actually "You're Older" (according to the People Online chat) was extraordinarily well done, with blood red lighting, etc. They really seemed a lot more "into" the new songs than some of the older ones. Well, overall it was great. I have no complaints except that the vocals were mixed a little too low and there were no seats and a huge crush at the front... I really liked Lincoln, also. Well enough of this, I just got back a few hours ago and my thinking process is a little fried from the experience. Ah what a show. -Ben -- Ben Spees Mixed Metaphor Software/Ambrosia Software Harry Kicks! http://www.handsomeharry.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:18:00 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971108111759_397888269@mrin86.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Meat Puppets..sorta related but not really... Here's just a question that popped into my head upon reading this, but has anyone else heard the Meat Puppet's Whirlpool (I'm kinda into the Meat Puppets, so I have), and it's pretty damn cool to begin with...anyone else's thoughts on this matter... (Just for the record I like the Meat Puppets version better than the TMBG, because TMBG forgot a verse!!!) Jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971108121103.0069e3d4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 12:11:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Meat Puppets..sorta related but not really... I've heard from a lot of sources that the version of a song you hear first is the one you like best. I didn't hear the Meat Puppet's original until a year or so after hearing the version on WDTSS?, and this is definitely an exception to the rule. I like the Meat Puppets' version much, much better. TTYL, -Adam At 11:18 AM 11/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >Here's just a question that popped into my head upon reading this, but has >anyone else heard the Meat Puppet's Whirlpool (I'm kinda into the Meat >Puppets, so I have), and it's pretty damn cool to begin with...anyone else's >thoughts on this matter... > >(Just for the record I like the Meat Puppets version better than the TMBG, >because TMBG forgot a verse!!!) > >Jason > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34649E14.7C12@rica.net> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 12:15:00 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: JMU show review Here is a review from the JMU newspaper, fraud free: http://breeze.jmu.edu/current/style/giants.html There are a few mistakes in the article and on captions to photos that were in the print version, but it's a pretty good review. Joey, ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:22:48 -0700 Subject: TMBG: tourdates - rumors confirmed Message-ID: <19971108.112258.12022.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy hEY! so it has been confirmed that they will be playing at the merc. lounge every thursday in december also (well, cept for christmas...) ah well... lotsa new dates check it out! THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS November 8th: *Trees* - Dallas, TX - 17+ - (w/ LIncoln) November 9th: *Numbers* - Houston, TX - All Ages - (w/ Lincoln) November 10th: *White Rabbit* - San Antonio, TX - All Ages - (w/ Lincoln) November 11th: *Texas Union Ballroom* - Austin, TX - (w/ Lincoln) November 13th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 14th: *Marshall Auditorium* - HAverford, PA - (w/ Lincoln) November 19th: *Brandeis University* - Waltham, MA - (w/ Lincoln) November 20th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 21st: *Spectrum Niteclub* - Rochester, NY - (w/ Lincoln) November 22nd: *Lee's Palace* - Toronto, ONT - Canada November 23rd: *SUNY* (Hewitt Union Ballroom) - Oswego, NY - (w/ Lincoln) November 27th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 4th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 11th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 13th: *Worcester Polytechnic Institute* - Worcester, MA - (w/ Lincoln) December 18th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC LINCOLN: (see above as well) November 27th: *Cotton Club* - Atlanta, GA - (w/ Memory Dean) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html *the purple crackberry, not the red one* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971108103912.00712a7c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:39:16 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: John Henry >Anyway, I just got John Henry today, and I don't know what to think about >it. I had heard that it wasn't one of their strongest albums, but does it >get better after you listen to it more? Yes. My main problem with JH is that it's too long. (Half of you out there just screamed, "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH TMBG!" Hear me out, OK?) John Henry has many good songs that simply get lost in the shuffle, as it were. (My classic example is Out Of Jail.) Due to its length, it also has a few duds. Try taking it in chunks--listen to the first half, listen to another album, listen to the second half. Like a lot of TMBG, it grows on you. :) A TMBG-related experience: my roommate's Chem class is studying nuclear reactions. In class yesterday, her professor announced, "And now we'll be hearing a song by those two guys from New York named John and John!" My roommate started laughing, since from long cohabitation with me she knew which band was coming. (For the record, it was Why Does The Sun Shine?) So my roommie turned to the person next to her and said, "This is my roommate's favorite band!" And the person said, "I'm sorry." Ah well, can't please everyone. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Can anyone stop The Blob?!?"--my programming textbook Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 13:06:27 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Message-ID: This Just In: ------------- Carlos Santana, best known for hits such as 'Oye Como Va', 'Black Magic Woman', and 'Evil Ways', has announced that he will be contributing a track to the 'We're Def' They Might Be Giants tribute album. "I've been an admirer of John Flansburgh's guitar playing for quite some time," he was quoted as saying. The track, "Absolutely Bill's Mood," features Santana on guitar and vocals, Gregg Rolie on organ, and an extended percussion section. "We're planning quite an extended jam for the bridge section of the song," said Santana, "It's your typical cuban /conga/ rhythm, and that's what we do best, so we're going to let it all hang out on this one." Sources close to the album said the Santana version of "Absolutely Bill's Mood" is being strongly considered for the closing track. -jim kuemmerle, who's insane, who's insane, who's insane, who's insane. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 update in progress! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 15:39:48 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Message-ID: Hey all-- I've heard it through the grapevine a few different bands have signed on to the We're Def compilation. Looks like it might have to go onto a second disc (especially with the extended version of "Absolutely Bill's Mood" by Santana). Anyway, here are some of the bands that have signed on: [side note: the following bands are not necessarily bands that I like, and many times you will need to know about the band in order to understand why they're doing a song. just like the other posts about this...] ---Sublime, before their lead singer died (in fact, just a few days before), secretly recorded several cover songs for future use. Among the tracks was, surprisingly enough, "Dead." Because the other two members of the band are such money-grubbing bastards, they've decided to submit it to We're Def, despite the obvious irony involved. ---Low, the band renowned for slowing songs down to their extreme (listen to their cover of Joy Division's "Transmission" if you don't believe me), have recorded a version of "Letterbox." I know that some other band has already signed on for this song, so there might be a fight for it. ---Atari Teenage Riot has signed on to do "Road Movie to Berlin." ---Wesley Willis, the schizophrenic former street singer from Chicago, has signed on to do "Fingertips" all by himself. Obviously, all of the mini-tracks will sound exactly the same. ---Suede, otherwise known as The London Suede, has agreed to do "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?" In a candid interview, the lead singer pointed out that John and John stole his idea for this song, but he likes their version, so they're going to cover it. ---Matt Pinfield, VJ extraordinaire on MTV, has signed on to do a spoken word version of "Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal." ---Hanson has signed on to do "Rabid Child." They'll be doing a slightly different version, called "Rabid Children." ---Trent Reznor has agreed to remix and add vocals to "Youth Culture Killed My Dog." Hopefully y'all remember that Trent once cancelled a couple of shows because his dog died, so this was a very emotional experience for him. ---Moby has just completed a dance version of "Kiss Me, Son of God," and is excited to be adding it to the album. ---Wally Pleasant has signed on to do "The End of the Tour." No humor value here...I'd actually like to hear this. Okay, I apologize for the long post, but I just had to do it. See y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 17:48:55 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971108174855_-822881038@mrin46.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Huh? What did you say? Def... More news on the new tmbg tribute album. The cast of The Simpsons will be contributing. Homer and Marge will do a lovely duet of Exquisite Dead Guy. The rest of the cast will each participate in Fingertips. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon will do an emotional version of Stormy Pinkness. Chief Wiggum will do The End of the Tour!!! Jordan............... "YOU TRIED TO TRIP ME ONCE! YOUR LAZY EYE DISTURBS ME! YOU THOUGHT I WAS RUDE SO YOU TOLD YOUR BOYFRIEND TO BEAT ME UP! YOU BITCH ABOUT EQUAL TREATMENT AS A HUMAN BEING, BUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS LAUGH AT ME FOR THE WAY I LOOK! I HATE YOUR TIE!! QUIT TRYING TO BRING BACK BELLBOTTOMS! REACTED TO VERBAL ABUSE MY DEGENERATING INTO A SUBMISSIVE DORK!! BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU PIG!! YOU THINK YOURE COOL BECAUSE YOU WORK IN A CAFE!! YOU HAVE COOTIES!! Heh...no I just kid." -Johnny going on a killing rampage ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711082342.RAA08050@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Huh? What did you say? Def... Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 17:27:49 -0600 > From: HallOfEyes@aol.com >> More news on the new tmbg tribute album. The cast of The Simpsons will be > contributing. Homer and Marge will do a lovely duet of Exquisite Dead Guy. > The rest of the cast will each participate in Fingertips. Apu > Nahasapeemapetilon will do an emotional version of Stormy Pinkness. Chief > Wiggum will do The End of the Tour!!! > > And Pepito The Biggest Cat In The Whole Wide World is joining up with The BumbleBee Man to sing the spanish verison of Numero Tres. El Yo Yo es Grande! Mike "Nazi Supermen are our superior!" Leffel > Jordan............... > "YOU TRIED TO TRIP ME ONCE! > YOUR LAZY EYE DISTURBS ME! > YOU THOUGHT I WAS RUDE SO YOU TOLD YOUR BOYFRIEND TO BEAT ME UP! > YOU BITCH ABOUT EQUAL TREATMENT AS A HUMAN BEING, BUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS > LAUGH AT ME FOR THE WAY I LOOK! > I HATE YOUR TIE!! > QUIT TRYING TO BRING BACK BELLBOTTOMS! > REACTED TO VERBAL ABUSE MY DEGENERATING INTO A SUBMISSIVE DORK!! > BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU PIG!! > YOU THINK YOURE COOL BECAUSE YOU WORK IN A CAFE!! > YOU HAVE COOTIES!! Heh...no I just kid." -Johnny going on a killing rampage Enough of your homocidal maniacs, dear children! Think Jimmy Corrigan! ^_^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <83FB246E.4B01@baka.com> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1904 21:41:02 +0000 From: Jonah Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... > ---Suede, otherwise known as The London Suede, has agreed to do "How Can I > Sing Like a Girl?" In a candid interview, the lead singer pointed out > that John and John stole his idea for this song, but he likes their > version, so they're going to cover it. This just in- There will be TWO versions of "How Can I Sing Like a Girl" on the album. The previously noted Suede one, and a Rush cover of the same song featuring Geddy Lee. God, that guy sings almost as high as the middle Hanson "brother", who considered covering the song, but then realized people might suspect that "he" IS in fact a girl and "he" would never again be on the cover of Tiger Beat. Also on the second disc will be the Violent Femmes covering "Cowtown", a historic collaberation of Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs, back from the dead, covering, surprise surprise, "the day", Morrissey covering "Why Must I Be Sad", and Cub covering TMBG's cover of their song, "New York City". Rumors of Fleetwood Mac covering "Till My Head Falls Off" are denied by band members, who say it would be "tempting fate." > "YOU TRIED TO TRIP ME ONCE! > YOUR LAZY EYE DISTURBS ME! > YOU THOUGHT I WAS RUDE SO YOU TOLD YOUR BOYFRIEND TO BEAT ME UP! > YOU BITCH ABOUT EQUAL TREATMENT AS A HUMAN BEING, BUT YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS > LAUGH AT ME FOR THE WAY I LOOK! > I HATE YOUR TIE!! > QUIT TRYING TO BRING BACK BELLBOTTOMS! > REACTED TO VERBAL ABUSE MY DEGENERATING INTO A SUBMISSIVE DORK!! > BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU PIG!! > YOU THINK YOURE COOL BECAUSE YOU WORK IN A CAFE!! > YOU HAVE COOTIES!! Heh...no I just kid." -Johnny going on a killing rampage YES!!!! Jhonen Vasquez is awesome! -- "Remember this lesson I teach you! Use it for good! Use it on NACHOS!! HANGNAIL!!!!!!!" -Happy Noodle Boy Jonah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 19:31:40 -0500 Subject: TMBG:Well, maybe not Message-ID: <19971108.193321.6686.1.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) Am I just going crazy or has anyone else seen a Burger King commercial with dancing chicken feet in it. I feel that it was a mistake because I never saw it again. Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about? And how about maybe playing a TMBG song in the background? Maybe Cowtown(this is where you laugh). See ya freaks! The guy they just call Nichols "Fetch me my battle moo moo" Tom Servo ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-312 ******************************