Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-315 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 315 Wednesday, 12 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Conan CD TMBG: The messed up # on the STD shirt Re: TMBG: Conan CD TMBG: We're still Def TMBG: BOBA MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TMBG: signing Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Meat Puppets TMBG: m2 is cool! TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic TMBG: Dec. 3rd - Trabant Univ. Center - U of D Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Meat Puppets Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! TMBG: The Wonderful World of Weird TMBG Variations Re: TMBG: The Wonderful World of Weird TMBG Variations Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! TMBG: def becomes them Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <34685937.2A08FFEA@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 05:10:21 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Conan CD >Maybe this has been brought up already but did anyone >notice there's a new CD of live performances from Late Night >with Conan O'Brien. The CD's called "Live from 6A". Any >TMBG? I don't know but I kinda doubt it. >-B O N G O >I read on Usenet that David Letterman's coming out with a comp. too. I >haven't seen a track listing, though. I kind of doubt TMBG would be on >that one either. :/ >TTYL, >-Adam At least we can keep our fingers crossed for their inclusion on the "Good Morning America Rocks!" CD. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971111093022.006d2bac@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:30:22 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: The messed up # on the STD shirt I saw Them in September when They had just started selling those shirts. I called the number and got a real message machine with a voice that sounded like Flans, saying "If you are trying to reach Dial-A-Song, call 387-6962. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Beep!" I left a short message saying hi (even if it wasn't really him I always feel bad just hanging up). I tried it again about a month later and the number had been changed. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:51:44 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan CD Message-ID: <19971111.095144.13574.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I checked out the Conan CD yesterday and it looks COOL! as soon as I get enough money I'm gonna buy it! the Letterman CD is called Live from The Late Show or something like that and it has Jewel (withflea), aretha Franklin, ummm... others I can't remeber... If someone wants a complete track listing I can get one... or just go to your music store on Nov. 18... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:35:25 -0500 Adam Tyner writes: >I read on Usenet that David Letterman's coming out with a comp. too. >I >haven't seen a track listing, though. I kind of doubt TMBG would be >on >that one either. :/ > >TTYL, > >-Adam >/----=========================================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:45:09 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: We're still Def Message-ID: Is it too late to get on the We're Def disc, I think I heard Rob and Fab (aka Milli Vanilli) were working on a cover of Counterfeit Fake. just a rumor. s Ain't got no pants? Cow don't care! Jesus died for my sins and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt. When life gives you poop, make poop juice. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971111122637.006a3c58@mailhost.trib.infi.net> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:26:37 -0500 From: Boba Subject: TMBG: BOBA MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greetings tmbg-listies!!!!!!! I am Matthew Ondrey a.k.a. BOBA! I was on this list for 500 years before I was banished to Xenia. I am still trapped there, and am unable to recieve the tmbg-list, but I have some things to say! Firstly, We Might Be Giants, Too, the Official Unofficial TMBG Cover Album is winding down, and HOPEFULLY will be out in a couple of months. Submissions are due by December 1st. The homepage has the all the important info. http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey Secondly, I am working for www.tmbg.org now, and have been for a while, as the astute of you know. I format any new chords that come in. If you are a chord transcribing motherbutler, then send them mailto:web@tmbg.org, or just me at mailto:boba@tmbg.org, and I will try to get them up ASAP. The John Henry page is almost ALL DONE. I just need Thermostat, and have been going at it myself, but to no avail. I got this: B E A F# G A When the hands that operate the motor lose control of the lever but it doesn't sound totally right to me. If you can help with any chords that aren't on the page PLEASE send them to me in the format that is like 32 footsteps on tmbg.org: http://www.tmbg.org/songs/chords/32Footsteps.html If I get them in that format, the they get posted on the page ALOT faster. Finally, I hope all my pals from the list of last year are still grooving, Nola, Mikey Rose, Alex "Mr. Klaw" G-Dawg, Amy "She came to my house twice!" Greenlese, good ol Matt James, and the thousands of others I emailed and met. God bless you all, and reply to this email, NOT to the list, because I don't get it!! Peace, Boba Out! Matthew Ondrey - boba@tmbg.org TMBG Chord Dude - http://www.tmbg.org Wendy - http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/wendy.htm We Might Be Giants, Too Co-Compiler - http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711111944.AA25507@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: signing Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:44:36 -0500 (EST) > hEy HEy! > since we've been on this meat puppets thread i'd just like to say that i > just got a letter from curt and kris in the mail today! =) It's hand > written, autographed and everything! Cris even drew the most awesome > picture for me! =) > Anyways, you too can have the pleasure of receiving mail from them... > write 'em a letter or send 'em a SASE to: > Meat Puppets > PO Box 110 > Tempe, AZ 85281 > (the address is on the liner notes of a couple of their albums...) > they're actually cool enough to write us back personally unlike a > certain band i kno.. > > does that get on anyone else's nerves? do you ever just wish that J&J > would take like 20 minutes after the shows to talk to fans and sign some > stuff? They did do this at the show in DC, Flans came out and talked to everyone and signed all of their stuff, you should have come. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711111952.AA25521@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Meat Puppets Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:52:20 -0500 (EST) > >does that get on anyone else's nerves? do you ever just wish that J&J > >would take like 20 minutes after the shows to talk to fans and sign some > >stuff? > > Flansy did, at the Alma show, for about half an hour - it was muy > cool. :) He's quite a nice guy, when you catch him in the right mood. > To append to my last message, think how cool this is, there are few fairly large bands that would come out and do this. I'm not sure what kind of job you may have but do you have hundreds of people trying to get autographs from you or write to you about your wonderful work? Your work might be wonderful, but unless you are in the Entertainment business you will be lucky to get 1 person asking for your autograph much less hundreds at any given time. I'll get an occassional 'good job' from my boss but not a mob of people trying to get my autograph for the program I write! It's kind of nice for most people to be able to do their job and then leave it at the end of the day and think about other things and not worry about people bothering you about it. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971111150844.00698164@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:08:54 -0500 From: Bill J Kirby Subject: TMBG: m2 is cool! i just knew that satellite dish would come in handy early on... got it installed this weekend and was flipping around (enjoying my freedom from the evil TCI empire), and came across M2. and guess what was playing there? the video for birdhouse! seems i remember some time ago seeing the puppet head video on mtv, but i could be mistaken. at any rate, this is the first tmbg video i've seen on tv (except for perhaps the previously mentioned puppet head). very cool. i won't talk about how ridiculous it is that mtv has to have a second channel to play music videos (especially if i get to see a cool one like that every now and then...)... thanks for the responses to my questions regarding BNL. i now have a copy of Gordon to listen to tonight... (oh, and my friend wasn't JObrien, just another person interested in checking out tmbg - the more the merrier, right?) -bk ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:33:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971111153316_-89030419@mrin84.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Hello 41- I would like to relay a short tale of TMBG to all of you. This contains no new information or anything, so skip it if you want. My and my girlfriend's car have many bumperstickers and paint and murals on them. Many of these are TMBG related, as you could guess. Since the cars are old, we also have our share of problems. 8^(. We have a regular mechanic, named Jalil, at the wonderful (ahem) Magic Amoco. He is a character and an okay guy sometimes. He informed me yesterday, as my car died, that sometime he wants me to take him to a show "by those they might be giants." I said sure. Now the question posed, is what TMBG show do you take your mechanic to? Bewitched, bothered, bewildered, Adam ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Dec. 3rd - Trabant Univ. Center - U of D Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:42:38 -0500 Message-ID: <01bceee2$59275220$5f47af80@rayst71-95.rayst.udel.edu> so TMBG are playing in the multi-purpose room of the Trabant University Center on Dec. 3rd. Tickets went on sale for U of Delaware students yesterday, and they will be available to the general public starting next Monday. Call 302-831-8192 for more information. They might be avaiable through Ticketmaster, but I'm not sure. It should be quite an intimate setting, in the multi-purpose room. harlan ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:53:30 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Message-ID: On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 NitpickR@aol.com wrote: > He is a character and an okay guy sometimes. He informed me yesterday, > as my car died, that sometime he wants me to take him to a show "by > those they might be giants." I said sure. > > Now the question posed, is what TMBG show do you take your mechanic to? the answer is 'whatever tmbg show just happens to be anywhere nearby.' -jim kuemmerle, who's never gotten to see any tmbg show, with or without a mechanic. and speaking of tmbg shows, anybody out there have a review of the san antonio show last night? j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ update in progress... (still going...) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971111171121.006a3148@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:11:21 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Meat Puppets At 02:52 PM 11/11/97 -0500, you wrote: >To append to my last message, think how cool this is, there are few >fairly large bands that would come out and do this. Barenaked Ladies and "Weird Al" both hung out after the show to sign autographs. If a band's playing in a small enough venue, it's pretty easy to snag autographs and photos. Just stand right in front of their bus. ;) It may take forever for them to come out, but they have to leave eventually, right? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 16:56:13 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199711112256.QAA16229@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic >-jim kuemmerle, who's never gotten to see any tmbg show, with or without a >mechanic. and speaking of tmbg shows, anybody out there have a review of >the san antonio show last night? The San Antonio show was great. They played the same songs as they did in Houston (with the addition of Dig My Grave)... My friend has the setlist, so I can post it if anyone is interested. The crowd was calm up until the end when they played Don't Let's Start, Birdhouse, No One Knows My Plan and The Guitar in close temporal proximity. Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:30:16 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Message-ID: In a late addition, the remaining members of the Doors have covered "Your Own Worst Enemy," replete with an added organ solo that takes the song from the original few minutes to an uprecedented 45 minutes. However, due to the death of their lead singer, Jim Morrison, the lyrics could not actually be sung. Instead, using new technology, engineers were able to sample Morrison's voice patterns and acutally recreate the singer's sound. "We think Jim would have really loved They Might Be Giants," states Doors organist Ray Manzarek in a press conference Monday. "We felt he was with us through the entire recording." In further Doors news, the band expects to enter the studio again, joining Prince in a recreation of his hit, "Purple Rain." Again using the aforementioned technology, Prince expects the song to be a duet with the deceased Morrison. "I feel really good about the whole thing," says the Artist. "I'd like to re-release the movie as well, re-mastering it, and adding new footage. I believe the tech guys are working at adding Jim [Morrison] in a cameo. I think the fans will love it." Reports of Morrison actaully spinning in his grave in France remain unconfimred. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Hey, let's exploit rock and roll to its fullest potential!" -Descendents, "Rockstar" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3468EBD0.72D3013C@ibm.net> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:35:45 -0500 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! Hello all-- My Grandfather has M2, and I had it on the one day and they played a TMBG video. I forget which one, but I know it was on the video compilation b/c I had seen it before. It was probably either DLS or Ana Ng. I desperately want to get M2 because I heard they play way more TMBG than MTV. Until then, though, I'll wait for Them to come on 120 minutes. Did anyone watch 120 minutes on Sunday? I had it on because they were premiering the new Ben Folds 5 video for "Brick" and about half way through the show, (I was on the computer, BTW, checking my email) I heard something familiar, turned my head and saw the seen from Ana Ng where they drive under the bridge. The funny thing was, the video was being played on the "120 Minutes" blackboard (the one that the "Einstein" writes on) and it was just that part of the video because it ended a millisecond after I turned my head. So I was thinking, "kick butt! They're gonna play TMBG!!" (Thinking it was a preview, of course) So I stayed up until 3am waiting for the video and it DIDN'T COME ON!!! Can anybody tell me why they played it? Was it a flashback-type thing to 10 years ago? Or is TMBG gonna be on again?!??!?!? I'm so curious! I wish I would've been paying attention. I'm sure they had something written at the bottom, but I missed it. :( Can anyone help me? -Robyn- "ew0k" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3468EC84.C6B0E5A7@ibm.net> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:38:44 -0500 From: Robyn Miller Subject: TMBG: The Wonderful World of Weird TMBG Variations Hello again, I thought it would neat if we compiled a list of all of the funniest variations of the name "They Might Be Giants" that we here all the time from people mis-saying the name. For instance, one of my new friends the other day apparently could only remember the gist of the name and called them "The Men Who Think That They're Big". I nearly died laughing. I guess their initials would be TMWTTTB. That's a mouthful! We could also include the "There May Be Giants" and such from good 'ol Gloria, too. So, anyone want to contribute? -Robyn- "ew0k" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711112347.RAA18015@mixcom.mixcom.com> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 17:47:03 -0600 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: Re: TMBG: The Wonderful World of Weird TMBG Variations The Mighty Mighty Giants Matt's Famous one line posts, quick, to the point, and cluttering! "Adults are just obsolete children, and the Hell with them."--(Dr.Seuss) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3468EF7E.7150C12A@cannet.com> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:51:29 -0500 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! Robyn Miller wrote: > Hello all-- > My Grandfather has M2, and I had it on the one day and they played a > TMBG video. I forget which one, but I know it was on the video > compilation b/c I had seen it before. It was probably either DLS or Ana > Ng. I desperately want to get M2 because I heard they play way more TMBG > > than MTV. > Until then, though, I'll wait for Them to come on 120 minutes. Did > anyone watch 120 minutes on Sunday? I had it on because they were > premiering the new Ben Folds 5 video for "Brick" and about half way > through the show, (I was on the computer, BTW, checking my email) I > heard something familiar, turned my head and saw the seen from Ana Ng > where they drive under the bridge. The funny thing was, the video was > being played on the "120 Minutes" blackboard (the one that the > "Einstein" writes on) and it was just that part of the video because it > ended a millisecond after I turned my head. So I was thinking, "kick > butt! They're gonna play TMBG!!" (Thinking it was a preview, of course) > So I stayed up until 3am waiting for the video and it DIDN'T COME ON!!! > Can anybody tell me why they played it? Was it a flashback-type thing > to 10 years ago? Or is TMBG gonna be on again?!??!?!? I'm so curious! > I wish I would've been paying attention. I'm sure they had something > written at the bottom, but I missed it. :( Can anyone help me? > > -Robyn- "ew0k" I saw that. It was just one of those flashback things. While the video played, "This week in 1988 They Might Be Giants' Ana Ng debuted on 120 minutes" scrolled across the bottom of the screen. ~Mike ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:28:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971111192808_-1878483536@mrin45.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: def becomes them does anyone know if Pete Townsend will be covering I'm Def or The Bells Are Ringing? ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:21:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971112002149_1838035709@mrin42.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: m2 (and 120 Minutes!) is cool! they played it because it debuted 10 years ago on 120min. Nick ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 01:06:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Message-ID: <19971112.010627.3550.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) Still more artists from all walks of life answer the call for a TMBG tribute: - Mary Kate and Ashley, the two adorable(?) twins from everyone's favorite(?) cancelled(darn!) sitcom Full House have decided to do their interpretation of My Evil Twin. Says Mary Kate, "I hardly ever got to be on camera because my little bitch of a sister always stole the spotlight. This is a way to show the world how i really feel about her...". Ashley had no comment... This just in: Stephen Hawking, world famous scientist, has decided to do a spoken word version of See the Constellation. Considering the fact that Mr. Hawking cannot speak due to a crippling illness, he will enter the words into the computer he uses to voice his thoughts which will then repeat them in a cold and monotonous tone. This should provide for a very unusual but enjoyable tune... Due to the great response for this tribute album, maybe a box set is called for? ^v^ Jeff "Rocky Horror" Parker ^v^ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-315 ******************************