Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-316 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 316 Thursday, 13 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: YES YES YES!!! TMBG: Semi-TMBG. The Residents Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... TMBG: One question... TMBG: Did they track him down? TMBG: TMBG+Davinci's Notebook+Fruvous Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... Re: Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... Re: TMBG: Did they track him down? Re: TMBG:Christmas Connundrom + Who gets Lost? Re: Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... TMBG: variations on the name TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? TMBG: Snail Dust and other Fine Merchandise... Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? TMBG: Chemicals and dust Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? Re: TMBG: Chemicals and dust non-TMBG: Negativland Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:01:42 -0600 From: zoot suit riot Subject: TMBG: YES YES YES!!! so two more tmbg shows are done, last night in san antonio, and tonight here in my home town of austin, and right now i'm so excited i can scarcely type straight... the show in san antonio was similar to the houston show, almost exactly the same set, with the addition of dig my grave at the end. we waited around after the show for over an hour only to have Them sneak out the front door on us... but they did wave while driving away, so that was cool... tonight on the other hand was INCREDIBLE. it was once again the same set as the houston/san antonio shows, with the addition of a planet of the apes song, that they wrote as they went along, supposedly they do that frequently, has anyone else heard of that before? in anycase, they had us all chant APES! all the time during it... particle man did not include the sign for the first of the 4 shows, but instead we got to have say you say me included in the middle of spy, which was wholly unexpected... they were goofing around the whole show, having a really good time it seemed, and at least some of the crowd was into it pretty much... the conga line for NKMP was huge and wrapped all around the room, so that was great. once again no setlist, but i got one of flans' broken guitar strings, so that was great... after it ended; several friends and i hung around outside what we figured to be their dressing room, plus earlier in the day i had staked the place out and figured out where they would most likely park their escape vehicle, which was correct amazingly... anyway we waited around and eventually Hal came out and signed stuff for us, then after a very long wait, and talking to several members of their crew who went in and put in a good word for us flansburgh came out and signed stuff, shook our hands and even posed for a group picture with the crowd of us... so tomorrow i should get up a web page with the jillions of pictures i took over the course of the past few nights, complete with my picture of me and flans. WOW! oh yeah, i also in my first delve into the realm of bootlegging, i taped the san antonio show, not tonight's unfortunately, but i have an ok (to be generous) copy of the 11/10 show. as seems to be the way of taping texas shows i lost 2 songs, the first and half of the last, but oh well... anyway, time for me to get some long awaited sleep now, so until next time, rabidchild (.paul swan) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34698859.92B38C9D@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:43:40 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Semi-TMBG. The Residents THIS IS A RESPONSE TO SOMETHING SOMEONE WROTE TWO MONTHS AGO. (MY E-MAIL WAS MESSED UP FOR AWHILE.) SORRY FOR THE LATENESS... Someone (I forget who) said: > As to whether TOMB took the song title ["Fingertips] >from the Residents... I don't know. :) I think they did. Besides the other coincidences, when TOMB sing the words "fingertips" (the one on track 36) it sounds very much like the voice of The Residents lead singer. I think its simply a little homage just as "darkened corridors" is to The Smiths and "wreck my car" is to The Beatles. Linnell said he likes all three. I'm still trying to decide if any are inspired by Prince. (Hmmm... maybe "the day that love came to play") > Can anyone recommend 3 Residents albums to me? I'm looking for >stuff that's either sort of pop-oriented, or like the stuff on the Hello >disc they did. Thanks. I have about 10 Residents CDs and that's only a fraction of what they've done. (They are very prolific!) They really don't make "pop-oriented" music but they do satirize it. (Not in the way Weird Al does.) I would definitely recommend the previously mentioned "Commercial Album" as good starting place. I also think their debut album "Meet the Residents" is one of their best. Also Third Reich 'N" Roll and "Duck Stab" are great. They have a fantastic all instrumental album called "Tunes of Two Cites" I haven't heard the Hello stuff but I assume its newer material and of the new stuff, I really like "Have a Bad Day" I would suggest that new listeners avoid "God in Three Persons" (spoken word with a music score), The King and Eye (Elvis covers) and Eskimo (tap you foot to wind). They also recently released a 2 CD 25th Anniversary retrospective called "Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses" (There's an import version of it consisting of *4* CDs, one of which is titled "LINCOLN"... their tribute to TOMB? Probably not.) ***Another ~W E I R D~ band: Negativland ...especially their early albums like "A Big 10-8 Place" and "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "The ball is not red, when the ball is not green." -Glows Fedorov ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346A42E5.FD4ED582@megahits.com> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:59:33 -0500 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... Is there anyone out there that is going to the show at the Mercury Lounge tomorrow night that would be willing to get me a ticket and meet me there. I have to take the train down from CT and am affraid that tickets will be gone by the time I can get there. Mr. Lee ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711121103.FAA00554@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: One question... Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:48:46 -0600 TOMB? Mike "Dig me, I'm a grave" Leffel > > THIS IS A RESPONSE TO SOMETHING SOMEONE WROTE TWO MONTHS > AGO. (MY E-MAIL WAS MESSED UP FOR AWHILE.) SORRY FOR THE > LATENESS... > > Someone (I forget who) said: > > As to whether TOMB took the song title ["Fingertips] > >from the Residents... I don't know. :) > > > I think they did. Besides the other coincidences, > when TOMB sing the words "fingertips" (the one on track 36) > it sounds very much like the voice of The Residents lead > singer. I think its simply a little homage just as > "darkened corridors" is to The Smiths and "wreck my car" is > to The Beatles. Linnell said he likes all three. I'm still > trying to decide if any are inspired by Prince. (Hmmm... > maybe "the day that love came to play") > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971112153422.13062.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Mara Jade" Subject: TMBG: Did they track him down? Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:34:20 PST I was just wondering if anyone out there knows AugieWan? Did his enemies finaly catch up with him and off him or is he in hiding? I wanted to ask him something but he hasn't been posting. Anyone at least got his E-mail address? Admiral Daala ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711121604.AA12101@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG+Davinci's Notebook+Fruvous Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:04:27 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I was at the Moxy Fruvous show last night and it was purely incredible. Anyway, I talked to Mike Ford afterwards and he said that they got together with an acapello group called Davinci's Notebook and covered Shoehorn with Teeth! I have yet to hear D.N. but I hear they are very good so I will have to check it out. Also, Fruvous is playing at NPR in Washington, DC right now for a show to be broadcast at some point, I'll have to keep an ear out for when it will air. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:58:38 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic Message-ID: it should be an obvious choice, which show to take your mechanic to-- the one where tmbg records 'sevre tire damage!' or part of it. is std going to be a live show, or just a bunch of recordings taken from shows? he at least deserves an std shirt. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:04:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... Message-id: <01IPX68GKJEA8X0GWR@alpha.montclair.edu> NO! MTV (or any variant thereof) is still not "cool." Think about it: a whole new channel is created to show "hip" videos from their past... when they actually cared about music a little? This is cool? THE GRIND? Y'know those drunk backward-baseball-cap types who look at you at a They show and giggle "Freak, tee-hee" or some such? Leave MTV for them. Try your local indie radio station (around NYC? Check out WFMU) or go to the nearest CD shop that doesn't have "Sam" or "Town" or "World" in its name. TMBG don't kick megawatt ass because of MTV or Elektra Entertainment or any outlet that plays "SEXXY" because "those alternative kids seem to like it." Elitist? You bet. Unfortunately, without support these cool places will go away and we'll be forced to listen to Puff Daddy for the rest of our days. My ticker just can't take it. TomPoohHeadBucket * Sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu Jaded oldster/boring English major/Mercury Lounge zealot -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- go directly to www.negativland.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971112123531.006a13f8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:35:31 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... At 12:04 PM 11/12/97 -0400, you wrote: > >Unfortunately, without support these cool places will go away and we'll be >forced to listen to Puff Daddy for the rest of our days. My ticker just can't >take it. I suppose I can tolerate some of the remixes of TMBG songs, but the day there's a Puff Daddy remix, I'm hanging up my teeth-laden shoehorn and move onto another band. They did have a Dust Brothers remix, but that was before they were "hot". -Adam ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711121746.MAA00872@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Did they track him down? Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:46:57 -0500 (EST) > I was just wondering if anyone out there knows AugieWan? Did his enemies > finaly catch up with him and off him or is he in hiding? I wanted to ask > him something but he hasn't been posting. Anyone at least got his E-mail > address? I was called by his ISP, apparently someone was mail-bombing the ISP and causing quite a lot of problems. I was called due to the list messages coming from my host. The guy on the other end suggested that unless AugieWan could do some good explaining he might not have an account any longer. It's just kinda sad all the way around. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:10:57 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:Christmas Connundrom + Who gets Lost? Message-ID: <19971112.141058.11078.5.Mr.Train@juno.com> I have some strange recollection of someone telling me about a song called "Sant's Dog" by the residents or The Replacements or something like that and I said I wanted it on my tape... or maybe I didn't... If anyone has this song on a recordable medium could they please send me an E-mail?? thanks! OK.. now the real question... I was listening to my 3-31-97 Madison, Wi show and listening to They Got Lost... Now it sounds to me like Linnell is making the comments about "The bulk of the PA" and "The red lights" but then I hear someone say "So you'll never hear anything ever again" and it sounds like Linnell... So i think Flans is talking about the PA and the lights... and then the first voice says "I'll try to annunciate clearly..." I had always thought Linnell sang They got Lost... but know I am lost! can anyone help? TDK? anyone else who has this boot? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:59:59 -0500 (EST) From: stella Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: STOP! Don't believe the hype... Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 12:04 PM 11/12/97 -0400, you wrote: > > > >Unfortunately, without support these cool places will go away and we'll be > >forced to listen to Puff Daddy for the rest of our days. My ticker just can't > >take it. > > I suppose I can tolerate some of the remixes of TMBG songs, but the day > there's a Puff Daddy remix, I'm hanging up my teeth-laden shoehorn and move > onto another band. They did have a Dust Brothers remix, but that was > before they were "hot". > Hmmm... I don't even think the Dust Bros. remix is very good... of course back when they were the dust bros., they WEREN'T very good. (I'm going to see 'em tonite. hooray!) Heck, tho, I don't even know who puff daddy is. I guess that's what I get for not listening to the radio... I really like the Guitar Outer PLanet Mix... is anyone willing to post an .mp3 of the Even Further Outer Planet Mix? I've never heard it. I think it's pretty bold for a group like TMBG to even attempt remixes... :) What never songs out there whould do well with a remix. Hmmm. How about "I can hear you"? -ellen g. > -Adam > "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971112161457.006d0fc0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:14:57 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: variations on the name I have heard quite a few.... The Maybe Giants, Those Musty Giants, There Must Be Giants, "Those Big...ahhh, I don't remember" My cousin tends to mess them up a lot...sometimes I think she does it on purpose. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:19:21 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? Message-ID: A local paper reported that several bands would be covering songs for the TMBG "We're Def" compilation, possibly leading to a limited edition third disc for the set, possibly with some outtakes and rarities. Highlights include: -Shonen Knife performing "Ana Ng" enirely in Japanese, (even though Ana Ng isn't Japanese, it's that whole oriental thread). Backing vocals by Cibo Matto. -Smashing Pumpkins with "Mr. Me", except all the parts and the vocals will be performed solely by Billy Corgan. -Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich, and the one-armed Def Leppard drummer will perform and all percussion version of "Rhythym Section Want Ad" -Courtney Love-Cobain, Scott Weiland, and Jimmy Chamberlin are included with an incomprehensible drugged-up version of "Lie Still Little Bottle" -Henry Rollins with a surprisingly touching version of "Stomp Box" -Not only will Morrissey perform "Why Must I Be Sad" for the first two discs, but also included on the third disc is a rare look as his more depressed side with "Weep Day" -One of John Denver's last recordings will take a place of prominence as the first song on the third disc, "Exquisite Dead Guy". -David Bowie will relive his decade old tour with a rendition of "(Glass) Spider" -The Monkees have unfortunately dropped out of the project for a follow up to their recent album "Justus". They were scheduled to cover "Mrs. Train (to Clarksville)" -The Chemical Brothers, formerly the Brothers Dust, have signed the deal to further re-mix "Snail Dust" to the new "Dusty Snail full of Chemicals". No word from the Dust Brothers on their rumored counter re-re-mix into "Dusty Chemical-ridden Snail bites the Dust" -Bjork, the Icelandic waif, is covering "She's Actual Size", with plenty of additional shrieks and yowls. -TMBG is rumored to be doing a cover of their own. A rarity from some of their live shows: "Bugs" by Pearl Jam. -Stereolab will come near the end of the disc with a slowed, extended, but unique interpretation of "Spacesuit" -And, finally, Mono Puff with "Careless Santa" Read all about it in the Manhattan Mercury. Scott Ain't got no pants? Cow don't care! Jesus died for my sins and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt. When life gives you poop, make poop juice. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:41:03 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Snail Dust and other Fine Merchandise... Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, stella wrote: > Hmmm... I don't even think the Dust Bros. remix is very good... i beg to differ! imho, the 'snail dust' remix is the best of the remixes, for the pure and simple reason that the organ part at the beginning is totally contrary to the rhythm of the rest of the song. you (or at least i) listen to the organ part and get into a certain rhythm that emphasizes the off beats, and then the drums come in and i have to completely reorient the way i listen to the song. that's so cool. i still can't figure out quite how they did it, and even knowing that it's coming up, i can't hear the organ part any other way... -j imku emmer le, trying to reorient his signature... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ update proceeding according to schedule (ie SLOW)... PS: > What never songs out there whould do well with a remix. Hmmm. Huh?? (thought for the day: "if words had any meaning, this would make sense!!!" -- Victor Dada) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:29:51 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? Message-ID: > -The Chemical Brothers, formerly the Brothers Dust, have signed the deal > to further re-mix "Snail Dust" to the new "Dusty Snail full of Chemicals". > No word from the Dust Brothers on their rumored counter re-re-mix into > "Dusty Chemical-ridden Snail bites the Dust" Wait a minute...I was once under this same impression, that the Dust Brothers were also the Chemical Bros. But now I've seen both members of both groups, and they're different people. So what's up? Were the Chemical Bros. once the Dust Bros. but then the real Dust Bros. decided to make the Chemical Bros. (then known as the Dust Bros.) change their name to the aforementioned Chemical Bros.? But yeah...I'm pretty sure that the Dust Brothers and the Chemical Brothers are two completely different entities. That's all. Bi l ltat alo vi ch, stealing the idea from Jim... wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971112173708.006a47ac@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:37:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Chemicals and dust At 04:29 PM 11/12/97 -0600, you wrote: > >Were the Chemical Bros. once the Dust Bros. but then the real Dust Bros. >decided to make the Chemical Bros. (then known as the Dust Bros.) change their >name to the aforementioned Chemical Bros.? But yeah...I'm pretty sure that >the Dust Brothers and the Chemical Brothers are two completely different >entities. That's all. In a word: yes. :) TTYL, -Adam, who notes that if you add his little goodbye message and his sig, this is -not- a one-line post ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346A310A.234C92C2@cannet.com> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:43:23 -0500 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > -The Chemical Brothers, formerly the Brothers Dust, have signed the deal > > to further re-mix "Snail Dust" to the new "Dusty Snail full of Chemicals". > > No word from the Dust Brothers on their rumored counter re-re-mix into > > "Dusty Chemical-ridden Snail bites the Dust" > > Wait a minute...I was once under this same impression, that the Dust > Brothers were also the Chemical Bros. But now I've seen both members of > both groups, and they're different people. So what's up? Were the > Chemical Bros. once the Dust Bros. but then the real Dust Bros. decided to > make the Chemical Bros. (then known as the Dust Bros.) change their name > to the aforementioned Chemical Bros.? But yeah...I'm pretty sure that the > Dust Brothers and the Chemical Brothers are two completely different > entities. That's all. > > Bi l ltat alo vi ch, stealing the idea from Jim... > wt3@cec.wustl.edu From what I understand, when the Chem Bros were lesser known, they were known as the Dust Bros, but then then when they became more popular they changed their name, because the original Dust Bros were around and you couldn't have two artists with the same name. ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711130017.SAA12414@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Chemicals and dust Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:59:59 -0600 > > In a word: yes. :) > > TTYL, > > -Adam, who notes that if you add his little goodbye message and his sig, > this is -not- a one-line post` Yes, but it's a one horse town. Mike "Sheriff Libido" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:34:34 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: non-TMBG: Negativland Message-ID: > ***Another ~W E I R D~ band: Negativland > ...especially their early albums like "A Big 10-8 Place" and > "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! > (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) Bongo, my friend, you have struck upon something cool here. I'm kind of surprised that anyone on this list has even heard Negativland, and I'm impressed. Negativland is an INCREDIBLY strange group. The stuff I've heard from them has been a lot of tape looping and talking and random noise. It's incredibly cool, though. Oh yeah, and Negativland were the folks who got sued by U2 for "unfair use" of one of their songs. So that's reason enough to listen to them. Oh, and while we're on the "experimental" music track here....if anyone happens to find a four-volume set known as Radius, let me know. It's a collection of incredibly cool experimental music...we have it at the radio station I work at, but I can't find it anywhere else. Okay, that's it. See ya. BiLl TaTaLoViCh wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:18:41 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > > ***Another ~W E I R D~ band: Negativland > > ...especially their early albums like "A Big 10-8 Place" and > > "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! > > (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) or perhaps maybe that's a bit of an understatement... :) > Bongo, my friend, you have struck upon something cool here. I'm kind of > surprised that anyone on this list has even heard Negativland, and I'm > impressed. Negativland is an INCREDIBLY strange group. The stuff I've > heard from them has been a lot of tape looping and talking and random > noise. It's incredibly cool, though. Oh yeah, and Negativland were the > folks who got sued by U2 for "unfair use" of one of their songs. So > that's reason enough to listen to them. (enter casey kasem, saying OVER and OVER again 'that's the letter U, and the numeral 2'...) i would have hopped on this earlier, but i was busy. i've heard *some* negativland, not much yet. what i have heard has been (to quote bill) INCREDIBLY strange, but also extremely compelling. take a listen to the willsaphone stupid show. two cd's, i think it's two hours long, but it *really* sucks you into it. -jim kuemmerle, who for a while had an alert sound on his mac that was The Weatherman, saying 'c'mon!' in a very agressive (for The Weatherman) tone... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ i think i'll just say when it's finally been updated and leave this line off for a while. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971113022135.10465.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:21:35 PST Finally, another posting to the TMBG listserve!! Yes, yes, my god yes!! I'm thrilled that Negativeland gets mentioned in the same breath as our beloved TMBG! I'd like to see them share a stage together. I saw them do a show at the Graet American Music Hall (SF), using about 200 audio carts for sampling!! If you can find the bootleg of the U2 bit (as well as Casey Kasem swearin' up a storm about a mythical dog named Snuggles), it is well worth any cost. I hear there are some CDs from Canada or something. And, I think they're doing "Spiralling Shape" on the TMBG cover album. --Carl "and yet another perfect cut" Hoffmann > > > ***Another ~W E I R D~ band: Negativland > > ...especially their early albums like "A Big 10-8 Place" and > > "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! > > (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) or perhaps maybe that's a bit of an understatement... :) > Bongo, my friend, you have struck upon something cool here. I'm kind of > surprised that anyone on this list has even heard Negativland, and I'm > impressed. Negativland is an INCREDIBLY strange group. The stuff I've > heard from them has been a lot of tape looping and talking and random > noise. It's incredibly cool, though. Oh yeah, and Negativland were the > folks who got sued by U2 for "unfair use" of one of their songs. So > that's reason enough to listen to them. (enter casey kasem, saying OVER and OVER again 'that's the letter U, and the numeral 2'...) i would have hopped on this earlier, but i was busy. i've heard *some* negativland, not much yet. what i have heard has been (to quote bill) INCREDIBLY strange, but also extremely compelling. take a listen to the willsaphone stupid show. two cd's, i think it's two hours long, but it *really* sucks you into it. -jim kuemmerle, who for a while had an alert sound on his mac that was The Weatherman, saying 'c'mon!' in a very agressive (for The Weatherman) tone... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 18:29:21 -0800 (PST) From: Shion Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Message-ID: > ***Another ~W E I R D~ band: Negativland > ...especially their early albums like "A Big 10-8 Place" and > "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! > (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) Negativland! I'm trying to find the location of an .mp2 of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For from the U2 single, so if anyone knows any sites that have it... And they have a web site at www.negativland.com . John shion@ucsd.edu "Christianity is stupid; communism is good." ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Nov 97 22:46 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: We're Def....disc 3? > -Smashing Pumpkins with "Mr. Me", except all the parts and the vocals >will be performed solely by Billy Corgan. Heard they were also doing "A Self Called Nowhere"... Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Everything perfect you said was just mirrors and wires.." - Frente Kirsten Brodbeck ~ kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ~ AKA Crow ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-316 ******************************