Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-317 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 317 Friday, 14 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: more tmbg cover picks Re: TMBG: more tmbg cover picks Re: non-TMBG: Negativland TMBG: Secret from the TOMB Re: TMBG: Secret from the TOMB Re: TMBG: Chemicals and dust Non-TMBG: Fruvous & DVN TMBG: OMLT news? TMBG: Remixes, Popularity, & Poop (It Might be a Long Post) RE: TMBG: Remixes, Popularity, & Poop... TMBG: Dallas pix TMBG: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) TMBG:_Fruvous_quote TMBG: Re: variations on the name Re: TMBG: Re: variations on the name Re: TMBG:_Fruvous_quote TMBG: Fruvous quotes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:50:09 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: more tmbg cover picks Message-ID: > -Stereolab will come near the end of the disc with a slowed, extended, > but unique interpretation of "Spacesuit" You know...this would actually be kinda cool! I have just recently discovered Stereolab--I haven't heard a whole lot of their stuff, but I like what I've heard so far (basically, the _Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements_ CD). So hey, anybody heard the word on whether or not Morphine is in fact contributing their rendition of Absolutely Bill's Mood? (for some reason I can just hear Mark Sandman singing this song. I do not know why.) Or how about the Spice Girls' Mr. Klaw cover? (or perhaps...um...The Big Big Whoredom? um, ok...no, I didn't just say that. nope, not me.) Or how about Chef from South Park singing S.E.X.X.Y.? :) --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 03:01:35 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: more tmbg cover picks Message-ID: > So hey, anybody heard the word on whether or not Morphine is in fact > contributing their rendition of Absolutely Bill's Mood? (for some > reason I can just hear Mark Sandman singing this song. I do not know > why.) Or how about the Spice Girls' Mr. Klaw cover? (or > perhaps...um...The Big Big Whoredom? um, ok...no, I didn't just say that. > nope, not me.) Or how about Chef from South Park singing S.E.X.X.Y.? :) Oh my god....I never thought about it, but Morphine doing "Absolutely Bill's Mood" would be really really cool. Just think...the immortal guitar solo at the beginning done with Dana's sax, and Mark crooning "I'm insane...I'm insane" as though he were trying to get someone in bed...I'm getting shivers here, really. Kudos to you, Tara, for coming up with that one. And, of course, the Spice Girls on "The Big Big Whoredom" and Chef on "S.E.X.X.Y.".....you're a genius, Tara. My thoughts pale in contrast. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:15:17 -0600 (CST) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Negativland Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 Bill Tatalovich wrote: > Oh yeah, and Negativland were the folks who got sued by U2 for "unfair > use" of one of their songs. So that's reason enough to listen to them. Bzzt. U2's label, Island Records did all the suing. -- On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 J Kuemmerle wrote > > > "Points" Freakishly, unspeakably weird beyond belief! > > > (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.) > > or perhaps maybe that's a bit of an understatement... :) A bit. > i've heard *some* negativland, not much yet. what i have heard has been > (to quote bill) INCREDIBLY strange, but also extremely compelling. take a > listen to the willsaphone stupid show. two cd's, i think it's two hours > long, but it *really* sucks you into it. Well J, I recommend you go out and get everything by negativland that you can find. If you liked Willsaphone, I think you'll appreciate the rest. I have every Negativland CD I've ever seen, including the Over The Edge stuff and the now illicit U2 single. Ok, a one copy of each title. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up both legitimate copies of the U2 single that were hiding in the U2 section of Tower Records. After that I was more willing to believe Islands assertion in the suit that U2 fans might buy it thinking it was a new U2 production and be confused. -- On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 "Carl Hoffmann" wrote: > I saw them do a show at the Graet American Music Hall (SF), using about > 200 audio carts for sampling!! Well Carl, you SUCK, if only because you've seen them live and I haven't. Ok, maybe it is I that sucks for that, but oh well. > If you can find the bootleg of the U2 bit (as well as Casey Kasem > swearin' up a storm about a mythical dog named Snuggles), it is well > worth any cost. Do you mean an actual CD or cassette, or just the sound? if an mp3 is good enough, see below. > I hear there are some CDs from Canada or something.. Hadn't heard, but then I'm not exactly looking. > And, I think they're doing "Spiralling Shape" on the TMBG cover album. Right, I absolutely must have a copy of this... assuming it's available on CD. -- On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 Shion wrote: > Negativland! I'm trying to find the location of an .mp2 of I Still Haven't > Found What I'm Looking For from the U2 single, so if anyone knows any > sites that have it... > And they have a web site at www.negativland.com . I'm not sure why you want mp2 instead of mp3, but they have mp3 files of both tracks from that CD at http://www.negativland.com/audio.html. ObTMBG: I saw Them in Austin last night and they certainly ROCKED. All my friends that had seen shows of the previous two tours said that this tour was FAR superior. Lucky me. Got the Accordian shirt and the longsleeved one. very nice. Go to work 30 miuntes late though. GOod thing work is slack. ;) cheers, cb -- Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346AE810.3520A9CD@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 03:44:20 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Secret from the TOMB > Someone (I forget who) said: > > As to whether TOMB took the song title ["Fingertips] > >from the Residents... I don't know. :) Sorry, "TOMB" is a great band who are also known as They Might Be Giants. Netscape's spell checker tricked me into believing that everytime I typed TMBG, I was really intending to type TOMB. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "I dance with my feet like my tongue when I eat." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711131329.HAA01450@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret from the TOMB Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 07:14:33 -0600 > > > Someone (I forget who) said: > > > As to whether TOMB took the song title ["Fingertips] > > >from the Residents... I don't know. :) > > Sorry, "TOMB" is a great band who are also known as > They Might Be Giants. Netscape's spell checker tricked me > into believing that everytime I typed TMBG, I was really > intending to type TOMB. HAHAHAHAH!!! ^_^ That is cool! Mike "Bewildered the hell out of me!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971113084223.0069ffe8@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:42:23 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Chemicals and dust from Mike: > From what I understand, when the Chem Bros were lesser known, they were known >as the Dust Bros, but then then when they became more popular they changed their >name, because the original Dust Bros were around and you couldn't have two >artists with the same name. So which Dust Brothers did the Snail Dust remix? The ones that became chemical or the original guys? I agree with Jim that Snail Dust is one of the better remixes. It's a remix pure and simple, modifying the original song just enough so that it's different and fun to listen to, yet it's not too different from the song's original ideas (did that make sense?). What I mean is, there's not all this gratuitous quote sampling like in many of the past remixes, and thank goodness it's not just a techno'd-up version like the S-E-X-X-Y one (I'm sorry but, to me, it just doesn't seem like it takes much imagination to techno-up a song). Early in the morning and techno'd-up, --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971113111407.0070e984@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:14:27 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Non-TMBG: Fruvous & DVN >I was at the Moxy Fruvous show last night and it was purely incredible. >Anyway, I talked to Mike Ford afterwards and he said that they got >together with an acapello group called Davinci's Notebook and covered >Shoehorn with Teeth! I have yet to hear D.N. but I hear they are very >good so I will have to check it out. I met Richard from DVN at a Fruvous concert in August. He was a really nice guy. I hear their music's good, too; alt.music.moxy-fruvous-ites tend to have good taste and there are a few hardcore DVN boosters on there. Let me just say that I will cheerfully give my firstborn for a Fruvous cover of a TMBG song. :) > Heck, tho, I don't even know who puff daddy is. >I guess that's what I get for not listening to the radio... I've never heard of them either. I have this secret theory that the all my friends are trying to psych me out by inventing band names and telling me they're "hot". :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:30:40 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: OMLT news? Message-ID: I haven't heard any news on the OMLT front in a while. Anything to report? TTYL, -Adam, who doesn't really need a t-shirt with as cold as it is now anyway. ;) /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:37:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971113143757_1435716614@mrin51.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Remixes, Popularity, & Poop (It Might be a Long Post) >>I suppose I can tolerate some of the remixes of TMBG songs, but the day >>there's a Puff Daddy remix, I'm hanging up my teeth-laden shoehorn and move >>onto another band. Um....no offense, but to me this is sort of dumb. To stop liking a band just because someone you don't like does a remix of them??? If this happened would you than stop listening to TMBG??? I think that anyone who says "yes" is (no offense again) is just some kind of odd demented trendie...(btw, if you don't all know: indie has become very trendie & you see a lot of people saying things like "I don't like a band because they are popular.") My friend would always joke about buying indie stuff saying that if no one's heard of the record company or the band, it had to be good...well...if you believe that go to www.poingly.com . . . we have some CD's to sell you... If for some reason all of a sudden TMBG sprung to #1 on all the charts, their concerts sold out in 3 minutes, remixes were done by Puff Daddy, the Spice Girls, Marilyn Manson, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Trent Reznor, the Dust Brothers, Prodigy, etc. etc., or anything else I would still like TMBG (assuming the music they wrote stayed the same quality), & even if the music started to suck, I would still love their old stuff. oh, & as for remixes...they're pretty damn easy...so I don't think it's tough for any band to do a remix...I pretty much like remixes as well...I've heard a few poor ones (like the NIN's Perfect Drug single, as it sounds less like remixing & more like techoesque bands trying to create a whole new song to the tune of the Perfect Drug). And the reason I had to have my little rant was because I am sorta They Might Be Gothic (as you might know from some previous letters) & get made fun of because stereotypes dictate that goths hate bands when they become popular. Damn stereotypes... Jason "Pardon all my crappy spelling" "I think so Brain but how would we get the Spice Girls in a piaya?" "...I've often been told that you can only do what you know how to do well & that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself..." "http://www.poingly.com : this band kicks ass" Damn link exchange censorship... "yes, I like the Foo Fighters & yes, I am seeking professional help" (insert last name here) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711132047.PAA01343@uwns.underworld.net> From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: RE: TMBG: Remixes, Popularity, & Poop... Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:47:31 -0500 >>but the day >>there's a Puff Daddy remix, I'm hanging up my teeth-laden shoehorn and >>move onto another band. >Um....no offense, but to me this is sort of dumb. To stop liking a band just >because someone you don't like does a remix of them??? If this happened >would you than stop listening to TMBG??? I think I wil chime in with a "sarcasm!" right now. NO, thats not really right. exaggeration would be better, because I'm sure he truly *would* be upset...just not to the extent he said. hyperbole for all you english majors out there. sorta like saying. "omigod! I'd kill myself if they opened for spice girls!" cuz of course no one would actually kill themself. and death is more believable than to stop listening to Them. logic logic logic Kevin Keeler Master of Reality ***Official Member, A.. A..*** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:00:28 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199711132100.QAA25481@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Dallas pix Hey all, I put some of the bettwe pictures from the Dallas show on a page for all to enjoy.... go to: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~MAXWELLKD/www/pics.html Just to let you know, it is hard to take good photos with one hand, while bootlegging, in the mosh pit. So please forgive any lack of quality (trust me, there are much worse ones on the roll) The Denomin8r ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:27:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-ID: <19971113.163001.3406.3.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) oh, i'm jealous...i wanted to go to their show in cleveland, but it was on a busy weekend and i couldn't go. i'm a new fan of moxy fruvous...what is their setlist like? Jessie From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) >Message-Id: <9711121604.AA12101@greed.loyola.edu> >Subject: TMBG: TMBG+Davinci's Notebook+Fruvous >Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:04:27 -0500 (EST) > >Hey all, >I was at the Moxy Fruvous show last night and it was purely >incredible. >Anyway, I talked to Mike Ford afterwards and he said that they got >together with an acapello group called Davinci's Notebook and covered >Shoehorn with Teeth! I have yet to hear D.N. but I hear they are very >good so I will have to check it out. Also, Fruvous is playing at NPR >in >Washington, DC right now for a show to be broadcast at some point, >I'll >have to keep an ear out for when it will air. >Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971113174515.008b7320@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:45:15 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG:_Fruvous_quote Dear friends, This is from Undernet's #tmbg. MDM is our fearless leader and he saw Moxy Fruvous this weekend. "...They'll need a crane, that's the best song on this eart, in case anyone here has heard of They Might Be Giants [wild uproar] we're friends of thiers, but only with little john, cause he's nice, the other guy's just an ass" He goes on to say that they then did a quick cover of TNAC. Also, he tells me that they did a parody of Particle Man at the Baltimore show. Dylan "What the voices in my head tell me is an entirely different manner." Flipse PS-The voices sound a lot like a certain Mike Leffel. Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:07:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971113180050_-357173650@mrin84.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: variations on the name >The Maybe Giants, Those Musty Giants, There Must Be Giants, "Those >Big...ahhh, I don't remember" Hmm, I guess the best I ever heard was the lady who called into Modern Rock Live and said, in a horrid midwestern twang, "Ah hayve a question fer The Mighty Be Giants." She went on to ask about them touring with Hootie. Figures. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 20:35:22 -0600 (CST) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: variations on the name Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > >The Maybe Giants, Those Musty Giants, There Must Be Giants, "Those > >Big...ahhh, I don't remember" > > Hmm, I guess the best I ever heard was the lady who called into Modern Rock > Live and said, in a horrid midwestern twang, "Ah hayve a question fer The > Mighty Be Giants." She went on to ask about them touring with Hootie. > Figures. > > --Christy > It's cool that someone else remembers that. But I could have sworn it was a man? I admit it was a somewhat high piched voice, but not to the point of a womans... Do you think s/he meant The Mighty "Be Giants" or that The Mighty actually Be Giants? Brandon ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:26:29 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:_Fruvous_quote Message-ID: <19971113.222742.16510.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Ummm.. I don't understand: fearless leader of WHAT? and I guess he's talking about Flans. being "just an ass"? Anyone willing to make an mp3 or WAV of MF doing They'll need a crane? I have Hagfish covering Twisting! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:45:15 -0500 Dylan Flipse writes: >Dear friends, > This is from Undernet's #tmbg. MDM is our fearless leader and >he saw Moxy >Fruvous this weekend. > > "...They'll need a crane, that's the best song on this eart, in >case >anyone here has heard of They Might Be Giants [wild uproar] we're >friends >of thiers, but only with little john, cause he's nice, the other guy's >just >an ass" > >He goes on to say that they then did a quick cover of TNAC. Also, he >tells >me that they did a parody of Particle Man at the Baltimore show. > >Dylan "What the voices in my head tell me is an entirely different >manner." >Flipse > >PS-The voices sound a lot like a certain Mike Leffel. > > >Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net >Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. >I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might >Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. > ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711140337.AA27040@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Fruvous quotes Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:37:25 -0500 (EST) > Dear friends, > This is from Undernet's #tmbg. MDM is our fearless leader and he saw Mox= > y > Fr=FCvous this weekend.=20 > > "...They'll need a crane, that's the best song on this eart, in cas= > e > anyone here has heard of They Might Be Giants [wild uproar] we're friends > of thiers, but only with little john, cause he's nice, the other guy's ju= > st > an ass" I think they were just being funny, I don't think they were really dissing big John Flansburgh. Heck Jian was dissing their opening bands in DC only to say thaty they were great opening bands, he was just kidding around with the fans 8-) > > He goes on to say that they then did a quick cover of TNAC. Also, he tell= > s > me that they did a parody of Particle Man at the Baltimore show. I was at the Baltimore show and they did play about 5 seconds of Particle Man but I don't think it was a parody really, just felt like playing a bit. But I can't rmember what they were referring to so perhaps someone else who was at the show remembers? Babye Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-317 ******************************