Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-318 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 318 Saturday, 15 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Fruvous quotes NON-TMBG: I can't pass up a chance on Negativland TMBG: NON-TOMB:Negativland is just the living end. TMBG: Frvous covering They Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... TMBG: Morphine/Space Goasts TMBG: Video Compliation, getting hold of tmbg albums in the UK TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-317 TMBG: Fruvous and Particle Man Re: TMBG: Re: variations on the name Re: TMBG:Christmas Connundrom + Who gets Lost? + Fruvous quote TMBG: 11/13 Concert pics! Re: TMBG:_Fruvous_quote TMBG: TMBG, Well if it aint Christmas Posts TMBG: thank you tmbg (and the list!) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19971114022604.00887940@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:26:04 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: Fruvous quotes >I was at the Baltimore show and they did play about 5 seconds of >Particle Man but I don't think it was a parody really, just felt like >playing a bit. But I can't rmember what they were referring to so >perhaps someone else who was at the show remembers? >Babye >Matt > It was indeed a parody of sorts. They were talking about how Dave of Moxy Fruvous has just shaved his head and now he was 'Canada's Rodman' in reference to everyone's favorite basketball freak. They then procedded to do a 'Canada's Rodman' parody of particle man though it was pretty short. Jeff --== My Fuzzy Ball beat up your Wave Packet ==-- Jeff Roberts jlr3@po.cwru.edu modnar@one.net foolishmortal@juno.com andre.the.giant.has.a.posse@usa.net Visit schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:44:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: NON-TMBG: I can't pass up a chance on Negativland Message-id: <01IPZFPIHQRM8ZF955@alpha.montclair.edu> Go buy "Dispepsi" by Negativland right away. It's pretty new, so even (ergh) chain-type stores will have it. You'll never listen to a Coke commercial the same way again. TomPoohHeadBucket * Sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu (Actually, I really like the Dust Brothers remix, but Paul's Boutique is one of my favorite albums. I guess I have no choice. And anything to do with MTV really does suck. Really.) (Trust me.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711140832.CAA21410@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: NON-TOMB:Negativland is just the living end. Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:17:33 -0600 In all the glee over Negativeland I looked at their site and enjoyed their U2 thingamawanky last night... pretty zany stuff. I didn't read the site too well but I thought Casey Kasem would be suing instead of U2.. ^_^ Does anybody know the correlation between the Casey ramblings and Whimsical Will's clips, however? I should hope there would be some dementites out there.... Mike "As confused as Gloria and twice as pretty" Leffel > And anything to do with MTV really > does suck. Really.) > > > (Trust me.) What about Kennedy? I think she is one hip dood. I think her and any one of the DeLuise boys would make a ..bitchin'.. couple. Cannonball Run EXTREME, anybody??? Mike "I like my VeeJays like I like my suppositories... painful and irritating" Leffel MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:11:00 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971114061059_1804774198@mrin83.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Frvous covering They Hi guys! I'm still way behind on the digests, but this subject header caught my eye. In a message dated 11/14/97 4:04:24 AM, you wrote: >>I was at the Moxy Fruvous show last night and it was purely incredible. >>Anyway, I talked to Mike Ford afterwards and he said that they got >>together with an acapello group called Davinci's Notebook and covered >>Shoehorn with Teeth! I have yet to hear D.N. but I hear they are very >>good so I will have to check it out. Ah that's cool! I just saw Moxy again (3rd time! Woo hoo! Got meself a pin! *and* I met them again but that's a different monologue onto itself) on saturday... Needless to say it was the best, but they did about 8 seconds of "They'll Need a Crane" and it was really cute.;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971114123242.006766ec@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 06:32:42 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Still Def... At 03:39 PM 11/8/97 -0600, Bill Tatalovich wrote: >---Wesley Willis, the schizophrenic former street singer from Chicago, has >signed on to do "Fingertips" all by himself. Obviously, all of the >mini-tracks will sound exactly the same. > I believe your sources got this one wrong... Uhhhh, Wesley Willis is doing his own special rendition of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (That self titled song), I can give you his slightly rewritten lyrics if you want. I know because he just played song for me (I even got to hit that Demo button on his Keyboard for him). Hey I heard that O'Phil (http://www.sckans.edu/~malay/ophil.html) is doing a cover of My Evil Twin, and Alex told me it's on the We're Def Tribute (With special guest vocals by Leffel!)... Shaun "I've missed Mike Leffel while my computer was crashed" Struble ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:08:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971114090824_-2143099647@mrin42.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Morphine/Space Goasts << Morphine is in fact contributing their rendition of Absolutely Bill's Mood? >> TMBG once opened for Morphine... oh...and Space Goast is on the radio right now... It's cool Jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711141428.OAA29619@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" <00239372@roehampton.ac.uk> Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:24:30 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Video Compliation, getting hold of tmbg albums in the UK Hey guys! Well after being non-internetted for about a month by my lovely college because they decided to upgrade the system (hey, we just spent thousands of pounds on all this stuff, isn't it pretty, and it meanas we don't have to clean all the old computers. Neat. SO what if it doesn't work, the thing crashes at least once a day when more than ten people try to send mail at the same time or ANYBODY ever prints to the same printer at the same time. That would never happen. there are only 30 computers to a printer and about 300 on the network. Lunchtime started five minutes ago. Why is there a riot in the computer suite) Anyway after getting that off my chest I am sending a message out to all those British people oput there, who like I spent (or are still spending) years trying to get hold of CDs, the video and stuff. OK, heres the deal: Being a little Londoner I can get hold of any TMBG album, including Misc T with no probblems. I am willing to buy them and send them to you with no extra cost except the album abd P&P. I even saw Then: TEY the other day on import. This is all down to Tower Records. e-maiil me to discuss it. I managed to get the TMBG video compliation the other day and I was wondering if anyone knew what hapopen in Purple Tupee? I mean Birdhouse's video is decidedly odd, and Hotel Detective is very cool. What I want to know is why is PT so normal. Have I missed something? (I've only seen it once not owning a VCR anymore. It died. It chocked on my Craig Charles stand up tape.) People in the UK, you can order your very own video compliation from HMV. Its called They Might Be Giants Video Compliation aand bugger, I've forgotten the bit of paper so I'll send the code out on Monday or mail me or something. Au Reviour Nyara. PS: OMLT Goddess, you haven't cashed my cheque yet, did you even recieive it? please tell me whats happening! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:19:38 -0500 (EST) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-317 Message-Id: On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 Matthew James wrote: > I was at the Baltimore show and they did play about 5 seconds of > Particle Man but I don't think it was a parody really, just felt like > playing a bit. But I can't rmember what they were referring to so > perhaps someone else who was at the show remembers? > I didn't see them in Baltimore, but when they were at MIT back in May, they made up a little ditty about the Institute's Media Lab, using the melody of "Particle Man." It was amazing, and loads of fun! I definitely would consider it a tribute to TMBG, not a parody of the song. Nancy ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Nancy McGrath/nancy@bigsean.com Visit Sean Altman's Seanosphere at http://www.bigsean.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711141524.AA17164@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Fruvous and Particle Man Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:24:38 -0500 (EST) > > I was at the Baltimore show and they did play about 5 seconds of > > Particle Man but I don't think it was a parody really, just felt like > > playing a bit. But I can't rmember what they were referring to so > > perhaps someone else who was at the show remembers? > > > I didn't see them in Baltimore, but when they were at MIT back in May, > they made up a little ditty about the Institute's Media Lab, using the > melody of "Particle Man." It was amazing, and loads of fun! I definitely > would consider it a tribute to TMBG, not a parody of the song. I agree with Nancy, I never thought it was a parody, I think they were just having fun with their take on "Canada's Rodman" or the Institute's media Lab in Nancy's case. They've shown recently that they like TMBG and I think they just had a desire to play some TMBG. Why Particle Man? Probably because it's one of TMBG's most popular songs and folks would recognize it and it's easy to play (especially for 5 seconds!) I'm a little surprised they did TNAC, that would have rocked! So yeah, more a tribute than a parody methinks. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346C94FD.1A33D8E0@ibm.net> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:14:22 -0500 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: variations on the name Jackyl wrote: > On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > > > Hmm, I guess the best I ever heard was the lady who called into > Modern Rock > > Live and said, in a horrid midwestern twang, "Ah hayve a question > fer The > > Mighty Be Giants." She went on to ask about them touring with > Hootie. > > Figures. > > > > --Christy > > > > It's cool that someone else remembers that. But I could have sworn it > was > a man? I admit it was a somewhat high piched voice, but not to the > point > of a womans... Do you think s/he meant The Mighty "Be Giants" or that > The > Mighty actually Be Giants? > > Brandon Maybe it was "The Mighty *Bee* Giants! :) I like to think that s/he was imagining huge mutant bees with super powers. Kinda reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skits with Belushi dressed up in the bee costume. Maybe the Johns will do a show like that sometime. Wouldn't that be grand?! ;) -ew0k- ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:00:19 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:Christmas Connundrom + Who gets Lost? + Fruvous quote Message-ID: <19971114.140020.13974.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> OK... NO ONE has responded to these posts so I am REposting them in hopes of getting a reply... On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:10:57 -0500 mr.train@juno.com writes: >I have some strange recollection of someone telling me about a song >called "Santa's Dog" by the residents or The Replacements or something >like that and I said I wanted it on my tape... or maybe I didn't... If >anyone has this song on a recordable medium could they please send me >an E-mail?? thanks! > >OK.. now the real question... I was listening to my 3-31-97 Madison, >Wi show and listening to They Got Lost... Now it sounds to me like >Linnell is making the comments about "The bulk of the PA" and "The red >lights" but then I hear someone say "So you'll never hear anything >ever again" and it sounds like Linnell... So i think Flans is talking >about the PA and the lights... and then the first voice says "I'll try >to annunciate clearly..." I had always thought Linnell sang They got >Lost... but know I am lost! can anyone help? TDK? anyone else who has >this boot? > > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Ummm.. I don't understand: fearless leader of WHAT? and I guess he's talking about Flans. being "just an ass"? Anyone willing to make an mp3 or WAV of MF doing They'll need a crane? I have Hagfish covering Twisting! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:45:15 -0500 Dylan Flipse writes: >Dear friends, > This is from Undernet's #tmbg. MDM is our fearless leader and >he saw Moxy >Fruvous this weekend. > > "...They'll need a crane, that's the best song on this eart, in >case >anyone here has heard of They Might Be Giants [wild uproar] we're >friends >of thiers, but only with little john, cause he's nice, the other guy's >just >an ass" > >He goes on to say that they then did a quick cover of TNAC. Also, he >tells >me that they did a parody of Particle Man at the Baltimore show. >>>>> ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:53:45 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 11/13 Concert pics! Message-ID: Howdy folks. I just added *51* pics that i took last night at the Mercury Lounge to my page. I also have new full songs as of Tuesday. Chow! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:23:07 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG:_Fruvous_quote Message-id: On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Dylan Flipse wrote: > He goes on to say that they then did a quick cover of TNAC. Also, he tells > me that they did a parody of Particle Man at the Baltimore show. *laughs* Yep - they did a ditty called "Canada's Rodman" to the tune of Particle Man. Earlier this year, they did an impromptu parody of Particle Man about MIT's Media Lab (long story behind that one). I've also heard them tease We Want a Rock, and they've reportedly done End of the Tour. The only band Fruvous seems to poke more fun at is a great Canadian band, Great Big Sea.. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Life is Fruvous for the week, Life is Moxy as we speak.." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971115050841.00677c1c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:08:41 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: TMBG, Well if it aint Christmas Posts Hey I got some more stuff to add to everyones X-Mas Tapes (or CD's) Santaholic by O'Phil (http://www.sckans.edu/~malay/ophil.html), Wheatland Ska at it's best... Careless Santa by Mono Puff AND... Where the hell is Santa by Mike Leffel... Shaun "I know the Leffel part's hard to get, but it's just so good, Dagnabbit!" Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:54:56 -0700 Subject: TMBG: thank you tmbg (and the list!) Message-ID: <19971114.235500.3278.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy!! ***i'd just like to say thank you to everyone that has ever posted NON-tmbg content on this list.**** Tonight, pondering what to do i had the option to go see the re-release of the little mermaid (which is a totally awesome movie) with a bunch of skank ho's that pretend to like everything i like, just so i'll like them... or go to the EDWYN COLLINS concert (NOTE: this is where my thank you to everyone comes in... see, i never would have even wanted to go if it weren't for all the posts about him a while back, mostly related to JF's directing his video but....) so here i am at the edwyn collins concert when we meet this chick amber who starts talking about how awesome the opening band *CLOSER* is. My freinds and i had absolutely no clue who a) edwyn collins was and b) closer was but amber was cool so we thot we'd give 'em a chance. two minutes later there's a two (of the finest) guys standing next to me, Dave and Johnny, from the band closer. anyways, dave and i talked for a super long time before the show and then they had to go and play... they started their set and i immediately liked them. They got further into the set and they dedicated a song (let her go) to me!!! wow, what an experience... dave kept pointing at me and smiling in the middle of songs too! =) then after their show they came and chilled with us for almost all of the edwyn collins show which i totally missed cuz i was preoccupied with harley and derrick (the other two totally fine guys from closer) so here i am listening to the tape they *gave* me... (relates back to my whole... tmbg would never do this sort of totally cool thing) anyways, if they roll around through your town i definitely suggest shelling out the whole $5 to go and see 'em! =) i think dave said they were going to SLC, UT and then a grip of towns in Cali then heading back to NYC... what is it with NY bands? =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***the purple crackberry, not the red one*** ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-318 ******************************