Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-320 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 320 Monday, 17 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Brandeis TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Video TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-319 TMBG: Weird Al-naNg TMBG: Finished with Lies TMBG: TmBG: Ummm Various stuffs... TMBG: Lyrics to GAS MASK TMBG: Douglas Adams, Terry Jones and such TMBG: lincoln Re: TMBG: lincoln Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas Re: Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas TMBG: morphine and variations on They Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty & XTC Re: TMBG: lincoln Re: TMBG: morphine and variations on They TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-319 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971116021602.006d3af0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 02:16:02 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: Brandeis I am a friendly TMBG near Bostonian type, but I have not much info on the show...I know more about the WPI show. I'm going to try to find out more however, for both our sakes, and the sake of all the other people in the same situation. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199711160815.DAA14189@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346ECDF1.A40B1B4E@nmt.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 03:41:54 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Video I have found plenty of web sites containing partial songs, and quite a few containing whole ones. What I would really like, though, are whole videos. I realize they are large, but is there anyone out there who knows of a website with some on there? Refund ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 07:35:59 EST From: a wee bit sarcy Message-ID: <009BD5EA.BF26B440.8@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-319 What did "Weird" Al write in tribute to TMBG? I'd never heard about this... Tim, trying to get a clue for free ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711161409.IAA01372@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Weird Al-naNg Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 07:53:37 -0600 This is great. I just realized (that since they don't play it on STAURDAY thanks to foot-crap-ball) out local CBS affiliate plays The Weird Al Show on Sundays at 7:30... WHOO! IT'S DWEEZIL ZAPPA! I'd rather watch Harvey.. OOH! The FRIDGE video! Good enough!!!! HEHEHEHEHE!! (Mike sprays his cheese like a little girl shepard) EMO FREAKING PHILLIPSS!!! OH! I LOVE THIS SHOW!! DOCTOR DEMENTO!! HAHAHAH!! I Haven't seen this show since the first episode!! Something just a Wee Bit Sarcy once asked, while pining for the fjords.. > > What did "Weird" Al write in tribute to TMBG? I'd never heard about this... > > Tim, trying to get a clue for free In the late seventies, the Johns were in New Jersey and had fallen into some bad times. They were on their way home from visiting an ill friend, and as bad luck woul have it, they got mugged by a gang of cubans. Luckily, however, they survived the experience. But, it was a raging snowstorm, it being Smarch and all. The Johns lost their jackets and had no money, but they proceeded to walk the way back to New York. It was cold and wet, and they would soon freeze... But then a black sedan rolled up. A strange man looked out the window and beckoned them. After relating their situation, the driver suggested that they get in the car. They then got a ride back home, some intersting stories they could tell later on, and lived happily ever after. ...only to find that the burglars who stole their keys and wallets also ransacked their apartment. The Third John, John Yankovic, distraught after losing his posessions (hundreds upon hundreds of books detailing the Shroud of Turin) went insane and killed about a ten people in a food court some time later. After he was released for good behavior, he started calling himself "Weird" and made a name for himself in the realm of Parody. No, I'm a lying bastard. Al made a song called Everything You Know Is Wrong, which is comprised of They-tastical elements like Prosthetic Lips, decapitation and death. Mike "The Way J.B. Toppersmith Was" Leffel See Some NEW Images, including the Infamous POGS, the all new YOUTH CULTURE and a little thing called the Mystical Decapitated Head of Juan Valdez. http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html "Sarcy" ? ^_^ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:37:00 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Finished with Lies Message-ID: Howdy. if anyone wants to hear what the new song 'Finished with Lies' sounds like, you can d/l a .mp3 or .wav of it on my sounds page. I have also recently added 'Escape From the Planet of the Apes' and the infamous Shoehorn With Teeth CD Skipping Version! Enjoy! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971116160518.0067c474@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 10:05:18 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: TmBG: Ummm Various stuffs... Giiii Happy to get that catalog in the mail, I'm gonna waste my money now... TMBG NEEDS TO COME TO WICHITA, DAGNABBIT! Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... I cannot think of any filler... I just lost all my mail from the last few days, if any of you sent mail to me, would you resend it I never got to read it... I've been having trouble wif my internet for the past few days (PIECE OF PACKAR... oops this isn't the PBell Hate Group) and just to make sure my messages made it I'm tacking them on to the end of this one... Shaun "Count how many times I mention Leffel in this mail and when a prize..." Struble MSG.1 SUBJECT CHRISTMASY STUFF... Hey I got some more stuff to add to everyones X-Mas Tapes (or CD's) Santaholic by O'Phil (http://www.sckans.edu/~malay/ophil.html), Wheatland Ska at it's best... Careless Santa by Mono Puff AND... Where the hell is Santa by Mike Leffel... Shaun "I know the Leffel part's hard to get, but it's just so good, Dagnabbit!" Struble MSG.2 SUBJECT I'm Still Deaf At 03:39 PM 11/8/97 -0600, Bill Tatalovich wrote: >---Wesley Willis, the schizophrenic former street singer from Chicago, has >signed on to do "Fingertips" all by himself. Obviously, all of the >mini-tracks will sound exactly the same. > I believe your sources got this one wrong... Uhhhh, Wesley Willis is doing his own special rendition of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS (That self titled song), I can give you his slightly rewritten lyrics if you want. I know because he just played song for me (I even got to hit that Demo button on his Keyboard for him). Hey I heard that O'Phil (http://www.sckans.edu/~malay/ophil.html) is doing a cover of My Evil Twin, and Alex told me it's on the We're Def Tribute (With special guest vocals by Leffel!)... Shaun "I've missed Mike Leffel while my computer was crashed" Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346F1915.707E@asan.com> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:02:29 -0500 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - The Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: Lyrics to GAS MASK Hello exquisite living people, Amanda and I decided to help all of you out who couldn't hear the lyrics to GAS MASK, so we typed them in for you: ------ GAS MASK by "They Might be Giants" Gas mask Gas mask Gas mask Gas mask ------- Okay, that's it. We hope you can understand the song better now. Love, Rob and Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346F4F61.8B3C1F42@nmt.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:54:09 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Douglas Adams, Terry Jones and such Well, as much as it pains me to tell you this...They were at Page One bookstore on Montgomery and Juan Tabo...TODAY! Don't worry, I missed it too. I didn't know when it was at first and when I finally found out I was /extremely/ upset. I did convince my brother to go buy me an autographed copy of Starship Titanic though. I apologize for my hasty posting, I should have found out earlier. I'm glad to hear there's at least one other person here from NM though. Refund, the guy who got hit in the eye by Jim, and probably deserved it ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 09:37:16 -0700 Subject: TMBG: lincoln Message-ID: <19971116.151855.16646.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEy! does anyone know where i can find some Lincoln mp3's? anyone what to share their opinion on whether or not i should get their cd? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***the middle hanson boy cut his hair*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971116172455.006af32c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:24:55 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: lincoln "Unhappy" by Lincoln is available at: http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/unhappy.mp3 Definitely get the CD. Great stuff. TTYL, -Adam At 09:37 AM 11/16/97 -0700, you wrote: >hEY hEy! >does anyone know where i can find some Lincoln mp3's? anyone what to >share their opinion on whether or not i should get their cd? > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > ***the middle hanson boy cut his hair*** > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971116161439.00712f44@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 16:14:54 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas >While we're stretching... :) "Weird Al" wrote a song in homage to TMBG, >so you could include "Christmas At Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went >Crazy". :) I wanna play! The Bobs covered "Particle Man", so how about a couple of their twisted homages to Christmas--"Yuleman vs. the Anti-Claus", "Fifty-Kilowatt Tree", and/or "Christmas in LA"? And as long as we're including non-TMBG songs, don't forget "Careless Santa", by--oh, all right, I'll shut up. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:13:48 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas Message-ID: <19971116.211349.4774.5.Mr.Train@juno.com> OKI... some songs have been added to the Christmas tape... mentally... so I would like to ask everyone who contributed the songs a favor... if you send me the a tape of the song(s) you contributed I will put a copy of my Christmas tape OR a TMBG bootleg... now how does that sound??!?!?! You can only have one or the other... I have listed the songs below my sig... Please E-me back if you are contributing... Oh yeah... send a 90 min. tape if you are... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) "Christmas At Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy". The Bobs -"Yuleman vs. the Anti-Claus","Fifty-Kilowatt Tree", and/or "Christmas in LA" "Santa Dog" from "Meet The Residents." XTC "Rag and Bone Buffet" - "Thanks for Christmas" and "Countdown to Christmas Party Time" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346FC500.6375@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:16:01 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: morphine and variations on They Hello all- > TMBG once opened for Morphine... Actually, they both played at the Hatch Shell in Boston last year with the Cardigans as the opener. Here's a funny variation on "They Might Be Giants" from one of Rob Plass' coworkers: Big Green Eating Machine Don't ask me why he thought that, he just did... Anyhoo, anyone out there know for sure when the Brandies show is? Oh, also, for those who are wondering-- Brian Dewan will be performing on my live show on December 3rd instead of Nov19th because it's more fun that way. happy day! Amanda, the Blue-Haired Girl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711170425.XAA02130@uwns.underworld.net> From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: Re: TMBG: Brian Doherty & XTC Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:26:32 -0500 >>ummm... didn't They not only cover an XTC song but... ahhh isn't Brian >>Doherty from XTC (the drummer that is btw) >That's right! I forgot about that connection. :) He only played on one >song, "Cherry In Your Tree", IIRC. It's a fantastic song, btw, and it can >be found on the Carmen Sandiego album (along with TMBG's cover of >DTSS?). >It's also on Rob Cosentino's excellent CD of Andy Partridge demos. Read >the Chalkhills archive if you want to know what I mean by that. :) Whoa? really? thats sweet. I as well just made CD copies of the demos. I dunno how good Rob's are but I'm happy with quality. I must say, it's amazing how much these two lists overlap (this and CHalkhills (the XTC one). I also strongly suggest you all get into XTC. buy the new album when it comes out! buy all the old ones! they will rock your nuts!. oh, and uh. TMBG are my first love and always will be.. nite Kevin Keeler Master of Reality ***Official Member, A.. A..*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971117044247.00679860@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:42:47 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: lincoln Speaking on part as an Impartial Observer... In one word: YES. In two word: YES, Dagnabbit! In three word: Yes Buy Lincoln. In four words... Yes Buy Lincolns CD. Oh, what's that? It wasn't funny? You think my post was a waste for you to read? I'm sorry... I didn't mean to get outta hand... Would it have been funny if I had stopped on 2? No? Oh OK, What? Oh this part is unfunny too. Sorry Bout that. S. "**Insert unfunny statement about Leffel here**" Struble I'm just on a role with being (un)funny tonight, maybe I should just go to bed. At 09:37 AM 11/16/97 -0700, JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: >hEY hEy! >does anyone know where i can find some Lincoln mp3's? anyone what to >share their opinion on whether or not i should get their cd? > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > ***the middle hanson boy cut his hair*** > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <346FCC93.47076FC1@ibm.net> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:48:20 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: Re: TMBG: morphine and variations on They Amanda Nichols wrote: > Actually, they both played at the Hatch Shell in > Boston last year with > the Cardigans as the opener. > Hey! I like the Cardigans! I just bought their CDs. Were they just bad in concert or what? I love their first album.-Robyn- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971117013013.0068ca74@pop.kent.edu> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 01:30:13 -0500 From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-319 Ok, beat me with a wet donkey if I have tread on trodden ground: 1.) Cleveland TMBG concert was o.k. How do you get the John's signatures? 2.) How are the OMLT's coming along? 3.) On the Simpsons (Homer eats insanity pepper), the sentence "Severe Tire damage " flew by behind Homer. Like the tour and my TMBG t-shirt. Sorry in advance, and also a thanks. -Dave Hutch. "Music self-played is happiness self-made." "The Empire State where King Kong lived..." -John ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-320 ******************************