Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-321 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 321 Tuesday, 18 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas TMBG: Fw: No One Knew The Plans of Her Evil Twin TMBG: Re: Brian Doherty & XTC TMBG: Flans covers the pet shop boys?? TMBG: They Might Be Pets.. Store Giants... Might Be Giant Boys.... TMBG: heya Mike TMBG: "the man" web spotting Re: TMBG: "the man" web spotting TMBG: The Cardigans & Questions about WFNX Re: TMBG: The Cardigans & Questions about WFNX TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-320 TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-320 Re: TMBG: Weird Al-naNg Re: TMBG: "the man" web spotting TMBG: OMLT MIA? TMBG: Raven Pictures TMBG: A humble page, and a question. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 06:19:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117061915_1204525727@mrin46.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: A Very They Christmas nicole the wonder nerd wrote: >And as long as we're including non-TMBG songs, don't forget "Careless Santa", >by--oh, all right, I'll shut up. :) Well it's not tmbg at all but i can't help but feel all christmasy: Ben Folds Five's "Selfless Cold and Composed". :) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711171500.JAA02908@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Fw: No One Knew The Plans of Her Evil Twin Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:43:56 -0600 > > There's a story on NBC's TODAY show where an EVIL > TWIN tried to hire a killer to OFF HER SISTER!!! Haw! > > They actually called it a case of an EVIL TWIN! > > No real THEY mentioning references though... > > Interesting... she was going to take on a new identity or something > to erase gambling debts.... BWAHAHAH! > > Al Roker looks like a private eye... I have a hat like that.. without > a trench coat however, I looked pretty stupid... to the eyes of > the humans anyway. > > I'm so cold and frightened. > > Mike "HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:24:25 -0500 (EST) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: TMBG: Re: Brian Doherty & XTC Message-Id: In issue #3-320 of the TMBG digest, someone spake thus: [Sorry... I missed the original posts to which Kevin Keeler was responding] > >>ummm... didn't They not only cover an XTC song but... ahhh isn't Brian > >>Doherty from XTC (the drummer that is btw) > >That's right! I forgot about that connection. :) He only played on one > >song, "Cherry In Your Tree", IIRC. It's a fantastic song, btw, and it can > >be found on the Carmen Sandiego album (along with TMBG's cover of > >DTSS?). > The Brian Doherty connection between XTC and TMBG (in this particular case at least) is due to one David Yazbek. Along with his long-time collaborators Sean Altman (http://www.bigsean.com) and Billy Straus, Yazbek co-produced "Carmen Sandiego: Out of This World," on which both XTC and TMBG appeared. Yazbek, who is a friend and collaborator of XTC's Andy Partridge, also produced the recent XTC tribute album, "A Testimonial Dinner," for which They covered the Dukes of Stratosphear's (a.k.a. XTC) "25 O'Clock." Since XTC doesn't have a full-time drummer, Yazbek connected them with Brian for the recording of "Cherry in Your Tree." Doherty also gigged with Yazbek a couple of years ago, when his (Yazbek's) "Laughing Man" album first came out. When TMBG went into the studio to record "Factory Showroom," Brian left Yazbek's band and was replaced by Dean Sharenow, an amazing drummer in his own right. is a drummerless band (they If you're in the NYC area, be sure to check out Yazbek at Brownie's (Avenue A at 11th) on Tuesday, November 18 at 9pm. Fans of TMBG and XTC will find a lot to like about him! And for those who can't make it (or even those who can!), check out Yazbek's web site at http://www.yazbek.com. BTW, I keep forgetting to post... on Halloween evening, Flansburgh performed at the Loser's Lounge tribute to Dusty Springfield at the Fez (an East Village club). Loser's Lounge is an occasional event held 3-4 times a year, usually at the Fez. For each event, a theme is chosen, for example an artist or group (Elton John, the BeeGees) or "famous duets" (last Valentine's Day). On October 31-November 2, the subject was Dusty Springfield, the British '60s-'70s pop singer ("Wishin' and Hopin'," "I Only Want to Be With You"). Flans performed "What Have I Done to Deserve This," which Dusty recorded with the Pet Shop Boys in 1988. He sang with a woman whose name I forget. I took a bunch of photos of him at the sound check, but wouldn't you know it... my camera battery died *just* as he started to perform during the actual show... in a shoulder-length blond wig, BTW (in the spirit of Halloween, don'tcha know!). I got a new battery into my camera just as the song ended, so I didn't get a single shot of him all decked out. And to make matters worse, Friday was the only evening of the 3 he performed... But at least I have the sound check shots, which came out great. Flansburgh has both performed and just shown up to check out the Loser's Lounge show on several occasions; in fact, I met him for the first time at the Elton John tribute last December! Nancy McGrath ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711171559.AA25740@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Flans covers the pet shop boys?? Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:59:16 -0500 (EST) Flansburgh sang "What Have I Done to Deserve This"?????!!! Please tell me you recorded this on tape. Wow that would be highly interesting to see not to mention very bizarre! What was it like hearing him sing that, Nancy? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711171714.LAA05352@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Pets.. Store Giants... Might Be Giant Boys.... Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:57:58 -0600 Matt's Life Savings was reported to have once quoth to that which is Nancy.. > Flansburgh sang "What Have I Done to Deserve This"?????!!! I would fill my pants with explosives for the IRA and set myself aflame for a chance to hear a TMBG-ized version of "Always On My Mind". (But, the actual SONG... not some little ditty _titled_ AOMM...) .which FREAKING IRONICALLY I just downloaded as an MP3 after an exaustive three day web search... Damn. That's very very ... odd? Mike "Irony is the shackles of my pants" Leffel --He's got his spine, and he's got his orange crush, damn it all. MORE NEW IMAGES!! http:\\www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu\~broz\tmbg.html Including SPACE SUIT.... ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711171650.AA25882@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: heya Mike Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:50:49 -0500 (EST) Hi Mike, I hope you still get e-mail here. I'm going through very old mail and I thought I would mail you to see if you still get this mail. Mail me back if you get it. See ya, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:27:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117162750_-1039123160@mrin40.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "the man" web spotting Well my days of "oh I gotta tell the list!" have returned...!;) I was web-font-browsing and was all agasp when I saw the image on this page : http://www.girlswhowearglasses.com/crush.html sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "the revolution will be fantasized"~ geggy tah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:38:48 -0800 (PST) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: "the man" web spotting Message-ID: On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, it was written: > Well my days of "oh I gotta tell the list!" have returned...!;) > > I was web-font-browsing and was all agasp when I saw the image on this page > : > > http://www.girlswhowearglasses.com/crush.html Weird -- the image is reversed... OK, maybe that just seems weird to me. "That doesn't look right..." -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:52:21 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117174417_1305118742@mrin86.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The Cardigans & Questions about WFNX >>Hey! I like the Cardigans! I just bought their CDs. Were they just bad in concert >>or what? I thought they were horrible in concert...after that concert I vowed to never buy the Cardigans' CD...well...ok, I bought the Austin Powers Soundtrack recently & their song on there I actually sort of like, but all the stuff they played at that concert, well, to put it bluntly, sorta sucked(or the part I heard asI missed the beginning), anyway, I'm still not going to buy the cardigan's CD... Also, it seems to me every time TMBG comes to the Massachusetts area they do something on WFNX & I always miss the thing...if they are going to be on WFNX this time, would someone PLEASE tell me... Jason ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3470D0B9.4A17@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:18:17 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Cardigans & Questions about WFNX Hello hello, > Also, it seems to me every time TMBG comes to the Massachusetts area they do > something on WFNX & I always miss the thing...if they are going to be on WFNX > this time, would someone PLEASE tell me... They do stuff with FNX usually because the Hatch Shell show is put on by that station. I'd be more than happy to let the whole list know 'bout any FNX Giant apppearances... Amanda, unofficial member of the Big Green Eating Machine ------------------------------ From: CeltEire@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:15:41 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117201539_206515219@mrin39> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-320 hello, everyone ------------------------------ From: CeltEire@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:17:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117201717_-389770174@mrin44.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-320 sorry, i was gonna say... i am new to the list but not to liking TMBG... if anyone has a Wav of Dr worm, can you send it to me? thanks kim ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:54:25 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971117224858_936291948@mrin79> Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al-naNg hi. this is adam. On Nov. 16, 1997, Mr. Leffel commented on "Weird Al" references to They and said: >No, I'm a lying bastard. Al made a song called Everything You Know >Is Wrong, which is comprised of They-tastical elements like Prosthetic >Lips, decapitation and death. Reaching into the Adam Schaaf Theater of the Obscure, there is another "Weird Al" Yankovic reference to TMBG. Last Christmas, the large, heartless music store, Sam Goody ran this ad campagne for what musicians wanted for the holidays. On his Christmas present list, Al asked for "a shoehorn (the kind with teeth)." Oh, and for the Christmas tape, I didn't see "Christmas In Hollins" by Run DMC anywhere. How can you forget such a timeless classic? -adam schaaf (Shaft137@aol.com) "Some people just don't understand genius" - Calvin "Shouldn't your zipper be on the other side of your pants?" - Hobbes ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 23:28:57 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: TMBG: "the man" web spotting Message-id: <34711989.3292@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 !WoW! It's the MAN! How'd he get there........ hmmmmm..... heh, cool. He's a bit backwards though, AnNYWAY, cool.... sitings of anything Giant is a good thing.... ~Sarah "There's no reference to Mike Leffel here" Hurd~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971118001016.006b47d0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 00:10:16 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: OMLT MIA? I remember seeing a message many moons ago about the OMLTs being ready to be made, but I haven't heard any news since then. Christy, if you're not in a prison camp waiting to be rescued by Chuck Norris, please let us know if there's any news to report. Hope I don't sound impatient or anything. :) Just curious. :) TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971118001337.0069b8f0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 00:13:37 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Raven Pictures I sent a letter to Raven Pictures about the "Hitting The Ground" soundtrack, which is supposed to include at least one (possibly more!) TMBG song. It's been over 2 weeks with no response. :( Has anyone heard any more news on this front? If I do get a reply, I'll post it to the list immediately. TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 23:20:42 -0600 (CST) From: "Jason R. Loss " Subject: TMBG: A humble page, and a question. Message-ID: Hello, I might be new to here, yet I am a long-time TMBG fan I enjoyed the page of mp3's (I'm sorry, I forgot who posted it) but I have a question. In the I Am Not Your Broom .mp3, there's someone screaming along with the band. Is that intentional (the johns have been known to put on sound-proof headphones so they can sing out of sync without screwing each other up) or just some guy who likes the broom song way too much. I too have a web page, yet far more humble, then the EXCELLENT! mp3 page but also concerning TMBG among some other things. http://pen.eiu.edu/~cujrl2/index.html "So back on that ol' time is money kick, right?" "Not back on it Joe, still on it." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-321 ******************************