Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-322 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 322 Wednesday, 19 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures TMBG: Geggy Tah, Cardigans, They TMBG: Leffel????? TMBG: TMBG Sound Schemes? Re: TMBG: Leffel????? TMBG: XTC on XTC Vs. Adam Ant Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures NON-TMBG: Cardigans Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures Re: NON-TMBG: Cardigans TMBG: Missing Christmas song... Non-TMBG:Problems Re: Non-TMBG: It happens to every man at some point. There's medication for it now... TMBG: TMBG in movie soundtracks TMBG: Nifty Brandies Info and other random crud Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Re: Non-TMBG:Problems TMBG: ALBUM?? Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 02:31:14 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures Message-ID: As I'm sure has been stated here before, the song TMBG contributed to Hitting The Ground is called "Allison", written by Gordon Gano and recorded at Flans' studio (Hello studio, I would imagine). My records indicate that the song was recorded in April of 1995 (!!!) - news of its existence originates from the Holiday 1995 Info Club letter. The newsletter goes on to say that "a soundtrack album is a possibility". I haven't heard anything else about the release of the song or the movie, though I plan to ask John and John about this if I get the chance this Saturday when they play Lee's Palace here in Toronto. In other news, Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour has finally begun the arduous process of updating and revamping its legendary TMBG page, and some of those remarkable improvements are currently on display. Just follow the music link to TMBG after perusing the main area of Mr Flippy's world. That is, if you're not horribly mangled on the way. Please note that though the TMBG page has been significantly improved since it was first introduced in 1972, there are still more improvements to come. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3471802E.211A8465@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:47:00 -0800 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: Geggy Tah, Cardigans, They Today as I was looking through the list, I was happy and impressed to see some endorsements of some of my other favorite bands... >sarah >http://lava.home.ml.org >"the revolution will be fantasized"~ geggy tah Geggy Tah is a fascinating and entertaining band with intriguingly complex music and lyrics. If you only know them from their hit "Whoever You Are" you've only seen one side of them. They have two albums out, the above quoted "Grand Opening" and "Sacred Cow". A third album will be out some time in '98 and what I've heard their new material is very satisfying. If you haven't already, put them on your list of bands to check out. In fact check out their sound clips right now at ... http://www.wbr.com/geggytah/ (official Warner Bros site) OR http://www.rockweb.com/bands/geggy-tah/ (semi-official site) >>Hey! I like the Cardigans! I just bought their CDs. Were they just bad in concert >>or what? (This cool poster's name was deleted from quote) >I bought the Austin Powers Soundtrack >recently & their song on there I actually sort of like... >Jason Fortunately, I got a chance to experience The Cardigans before they got air play in the USA. If I had gotten to know them through one overplayed single, I too might have overlooked them. Just because they are Swedes who sing pop music they unfortunately get compared to Abba. If people would give them a chance, they'd see that are much more similar to The Smiths / Morrisey. If you liked "Carnival", (the cut that's on the Austin Powers soundtrack) you'll probally like their US debut CD "Life" Um... I suppose I should throw in a few words about the band we are gathered here today to discuss. Has any one offered any interps on DR. WORM? If not, I'll give mine next time. -B O N G O ___________________________________________ "Who needs music when you've got a squeaky bed." -Geggy Tah **P.S: Call 1-888-GEGGY-TAH .... toll free from anywhere in the USA!** (This has been a paid commercial announcement from the Geggy Tah Council of America.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711181244.GAA04491@superior.computerpro.com> From: "H.R.Tendrup" Subject: TMBG: Leffel????? Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 06:40:01 -0600 Who the heck is Mick Leffel??? [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711181247.GAA04647@superior.computerpro.com> From: "H.R.Tendrup" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Sound Schemes? Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 06:47:08 -0600 Say I just thought of somthing, does anyone have a TMBG sound scheme for windows? The only wav. I'm using is one from Fingertips but I was wondering if anyone else had one........ [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711181318.HAA01339@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel????? Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 07:03:17 -0600 >From: H.R.Tendrup >Who the heck is Mick Leffel??? My evil twin. Mike "John Linnell's Neighbor From Pasadena" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971118094841.006a7c20@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:48:41 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: XTC on XTC Vs. Adam Ant From this morning's Chalkhills digest: <> TTYL, -Adam, who has the same response. ;) /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971118095245.006c86c0@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:52:45 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures At 02:31 AM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote: Someone on the TMBG Musings board (Ron Ferraro, to be precise) called Raven a couple of months ago. It turns out that there's a possibility that more than one TMBG song (I'm not sure if the others would be unreleased songs, howevre) could end up on the soundtrack. They went on to say that the soundtrack would be available in September or October, being released along with the video. Does anyone know if the video's out? :P TTYL, -Adam >As I'm sure has been stated here before, the song TMBG contributed >to Hitting The Ground is called "Allison", written by Gordon Gano and >recorded at Flans' studio (Hello studio, I would imagine). My records >indicate that the song was recorded in April of 1995 (!!!) - news of its >existence originates from the Holiday 1995 Info Club letter. The >newsletter goes on to say that "a soundtrack album is a possibility". > I haven't heard anything else about the release of the song or the >movie, though I plan to ask John and John about this if I get the chance >this Saturday when they play Lee's Palace here in Toronto. > In other news, Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour has >finally begun the arduous process of updating and revamping its legendary >TMBG page, and some of those remarkable improvements are currently on >display. Just follow the music link to TMBG after perusing the main area >of Mr Flippy's world. That is, if you're not horribly mangled on the >way. Please note that though the TMBG page has been significantly >improved since it was first introduced in 1972, there are still more >improvements to come. > > MIKe > *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* > THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour > --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- > AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com > *-----------------------------* > Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. > > > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711181509.AA28745@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Cardigans Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:09:11 -0500 (EST) > Fortunately, I got a chance to experience The > Cardigans before they got air play in the USA. If I had > gotten to know them through one overplayed single, I too > might have overlooked them. Just because they are Swedes who > sing pop music they unfortunately get compared to Abba. If > people would give them a chance, they'd see that are much > more similar to The Smiths / Morrisey. If you liked > "Carnival", (the cut that's on the Austin Powers soundtrack) > you'll probally like their US debut CD "Life" > I believe the Cardigans had another album before Life. I forget the name but I got it in a store in Baltimore and it actually has a couple of tracks that are on Life. It has some Black Sabbath cover strangely enough on it. I do like a lot of the cuts off of Life, it is different and better than Last Band on the Moon in my opinion. Unfortunately, I only have a tape of a bunch of the songs off Life, but not the CD. Does anyone know the title of the first album? Bye, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:10:51 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Raven Pictures Message-Id: On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, 99 and 44/100% MIKe! wrote: > > Please note that though the TMBG page has been significantly > improved since it was first introduced in 1972, there are still more > improvements to come. > Wow! This guy is some TMBG fan. He had a page dedicated to them before the band even existed! -Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3471DCD1.C9B72206@ibm.net> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:22:09 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Cardigans Matthew James wrote: > I believe the Cardigans had another album before Life. I have an ablum of theirs called "emmerdale." It kicks butt. I don't know if it's the one your thinking of or not. I like it more than "First Band on the Moon." BTW, I'm the "cool poster" who's name was deleted. :) I'm standing behind the Cardigan's all the way because I also believe LoveFool was overplayed and, thus, people don't like them because of it... and they compare them to ABBA. But I like ABBA, too, so I guess it's not really a bad thing in my eyes. :)-ew0k- ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:20:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Missing Christmas song... Message-ID: <19971118.142008.8918.5.Mr.Train@juno.com> HEy! I have added six songs to the Christmas tape... and I am Missing some that were suggested... I am looking for copies of The Bobs -"Yuleman vs. the Anti-Claus","Fifty-Kilowatt Tree", and/or "Christmas in LA" If you have those songs E-mail me privately... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971118152439.008b57a0@csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:24:39 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Non-TMBG:Problems For what must be the fourth or fifth time, my mail has stalled while down loading a message from Eric Webber. I can call my ISP, and they can delete the mail, and all those I should have gotten since that, but they're just about fed up with it and have just about said "You! Get off that listserv!" In fact the dude this time, who didn't seem to be having the greatest day, hinted at them cutting off my account if I kept calling every week to have them delete my mail. Plus, I don't particularly LIKE it when they delete my mail. So, does anyone know why specifically those message cause this problem? (I know that there are others that have had it.) Or does anyone know exactly what I could do about it? Dylan "Has Mike Leffel Experienced This Problem?" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711182129.PAA08593@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: It happens to every man at some point. There's medication for it now... Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:14:00 -0600 > > Dylan "Has Mike Leffel Experienced This Problem?" Flipse > The clouds churn in a multicolored array of tempestuous confusion. The wind blows this way and that, as terrible lightning rips across the sky. The Noise is almost too much to bear. "Is it the end of the world?" one may ask? Indeed, if ever there is such a time, no man would be called a fool for believing it was today. Then suddenly, all reality compounds. A nexus forms atop a weathered mountain of some importance. All eyes focus fearfully on the vortex as space literally collapses, and the ensuing explosion cancels out all sound. A hole, punched through existence itself has erupted. Human words cannot fully explain the maddening sight. Warped and abused particles surrounding the hole glimmer in some unseeable light and wisps of tortured atoms glide smoothly in cocentric circles. From this gaping wound in the time-space continuum, there comes forth a man. He looks upon the beings before him and all is silent. He looks at one of the people. The being known as Dylan Flipse nearly leaps out of his own skin in utter trepidation. The Man from the abyss cries out to him, in a booming voice that rumbles over the land like the call of God itself. "My Mail Hasn't Been Screwy For Some Time, Kid!" Then the guy leaves, the null-space closes up and all is well. Somewhere, a dog urinates. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971118131145.006bcc40@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:12:02 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: TMBG in movie soundtracks >if anyone has a Wav of Dr worm, can you send it to me? >thanks Hey, welcome to the list! :) I've got an MP3... that ok? Sound quality is pretty bad, though. Why don't you download the movie clip? It's well worth your while, I promise, for the sound quality if nothing else. >I sent a letter to Raven Pictures about the "Hitting The Ground" >soundtrack, which is supposed to include at least one (possibly more!) TMBG >song. It's been over 2 weeks with no response. :( Has anyone heard any >more news on this front? Ooo! TMBG on a movie soundtrack? I want! :) Just curious--where did you hear that this soundtrack would have TMBG? I don't suppose you know which songs? Has anyone seen this movie? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "The Anti-Claus must DIE!!!"--The Bobs ("Yuleman vs. the Anti-Claus") Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <347204BB.179F@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:12:27 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Nifty Brandies Info and other random crud Hi everyone! For all those who were confused (including myself), the Brandies show is Wednesday night (which means I can't go, dumb radio show!). Doors open at 8 and the show starts at 9. Lincoln is opening (although they're advertised in the Phoenix as being "the Lincolns" which I think is funny). You can still get tickets through NEXT ticketing and the phone number is 423-NEXT. I'm not sure if that's a 617 area code on that or what...Anyway, that's all I know about the show. I've never been to Brandies, but from what I hear it's kind of far from my outpost on Boston Common, so I guess it's ok. Who was it that emailed me about booking? I was wondering how things were going for ya and I can't find your address anywhere. I was wondering if anyone on the list would be so kind as to volunteer to shoot me before I explode. I've got waaaayyy too much work right now and I have to give up all of my free time soon for interviews. Maybe a high tech laser beam? Oh, I know.... how about shooting me with the Presidential Cannon of Love? Please? Amanda, who had Count Chocula this morning for the first time in years ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971118165507.006a2c88@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:55:07 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Cool, it's not just me. The only way I've found to get around it is to use Hotmail to check my POP mail. I notice that we're both using Eudora 3.0 though...maybe this is causing the problem? Any other Eudora users experiencing this? TTYL, -Adam At 03:24 PM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote: > For what must be the fourth or fifth time, my mail has stalled while down >loading a message from Eric Webber. I can call my ISP, and they can delete >the mail, and all those I should have gotten since that, but they're just >about fed up with it and have just about said "You! Get off that listserv!" >In fact the dude this time, who didn't seem to be having the greatest day, >hinted at them cutting off my account if I kept calling every week to have >them delete my mail. Plus, I don't particularly LIKE it when they delete my >mail. So, does anyone know why specifically those message cause this >problem? (I know that there are others that have had it.) Or does anyone >know exactly what I could do about it? > >Dylan "Has Mike Leffel Experienced This Problem?" Flipse > > >Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net >Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. >I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might >Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971118145043.00b864c0@uidaho.edu> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:50:43 -0800 From: Mark Tomas Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Adam Tyner wrote: >I notice that we're both using Eudora 3.0 though...maybe this is causing >the problem? Any other Eudora users experiencing this? I'm using Eudora 3.01, and have had no problems at all. Maybe 3.01 fixed this bug, or it isn't just Eudora that's the problem. Mark Tomas, KB7YLF. -- mailto:toma9567@uidaho.edu -- http://www.uidaho.edu/~toma9567/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711182259.RAA01864@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Problems Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:59:48 -0500 (EST) > For what must be the fourth or fifth time, my mail has stalled while down > loading a message from Eric Webber. I can call my ISP, and they can delete > the mail, and all those I should have gotten since that, but they're just > about fed up with it and have just about said "You! Get off that listserv!" > In fact the dude this time, who didn't seem to be having the greatest day, > hinted at them cutting off my account if I kept calling every week to have > them delete my mail. Plus, I don't particularly LIKE it when they delete my > mail. So, does anyone know why specifically those message cause this > problem? (I know that there are others that have had it.) Or does anyone > know exactly what I could do about it? I just looked at Eric's messages. I don't see anything amazingly wrong with it. The only thing I see at all odd is he uses "+ ++", where everyone else uses "---" (spaces put in to prevent me from triggering the problem). Send yourself mail with three plus's in a row on one line, if it causes problems call your ISP and tell them they are the most cluesless morons you've ever seen. If it doesn't cause a problem then I'm baffled as to what might cause it. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711182314.SAA02478@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: ALBUM?? Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:12:00 -0800 I have been off the list for quite a while. So I'm wondering... what is up w/: Insect Hospital superfueled freaksickle new albums? brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971118191549.006a1e54@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 19:15:49 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Problems I tried that, and I got the message without any problems. I've been looking for problems in the messages too, to no avail. :( I'm using Eudora Pro 3.01 right now... I don't remember having the problems before getting the new Eudora, which I've had for 6 or 7 months. I know it's not my mail server, because Hotmail will retrieve his messages, so I'm assuming it's Eudora. TTYL, -Adam At 05:59 PM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote: >> For what must be the fourth or fifth time, my mail has stalled while down >> loading a message from Eric Webber. I can call my ISP, and they can delete >> the mail, and all those I should have gotten since that, but they're just >> about fed up with it and have just about said "You! Get off that listserv!" >> In fact the dude this time, who didn't seem to be having the greatest day, >> hinted at them cutting off my account if I kept calling every week to have >> them delete my mail. Plus, I don't particularly LIKE it when they delete my >> mail. So, does anyone know why specifically those message cause this >> problem? (I know that there are others that have had it.) Or does anyone >> know exactly what I could do about it? > > I just looked at Eric's messages. I don't see anything >amazingly wrong with it. The only thing I see at all odd is he >uses "+ ++", where everyone else uses "---" (spaces put in to >prevent me from triggering the problem). > > Send yourself mail with three plus's in a row on one line, >if it causes problems call your ISP and tell them they are the most >cluesless morons you've ever seen. If it doesn't cause a problem >then I'm baffled as to what might cause it. > >-- > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org >System Administration - Network Design >TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711190025.TAA05977@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:25:55 -0600 From: zoot suit riot Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Problems >I tried that, and I got the message without any problems. I've been >looking for problems in the messages too, to no avail. :( I'm using >Eudora Pro 3.01 right now... I don't remember having the problems before >getting the new Eudora, which I've had for 6 or 7 months. > >I know it's not my mail server, because Hotmail will retrieve his messages, >so I'm assuming it's Eudora. hmmm... i've been using eudora to read this list as long as it's existed and i've never had a problem with it. right now i'm not using 3.x, i'm using a beta of eudora 4.0, but i haven't had any problems with it or older versions. so the problem could be elsewhere... rabidchild(.paulswan) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-322 ******************************