Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-324 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 324 Friday, 21 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 71.8% Non-THEY: Cardigans TMBG: What about BOBS? TMBG: They instore 11/21! NON-TMBG: Cardy's NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? TMBG: NON-TMBG- Moxy Fruvous, Brian Dewan and Lincoln Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Re: TMBG: catalog | Pathetic Ramblings... | No Reference to NON-TMBG: Lincoln es muy bien, Leffel es muy gigante NON-TMBG: Lincoln TMBG: Catalog you say? TMBG: Real Audio interview (11/21) Re: TMBG: Real Audio interview (11/21) | Leffelism Free (Like TMBG: Toronto show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:57:30 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: 71.8% Non-THEY: Cardigans > Yes, Emmerdale is their first album and was not >released domestically as far as I know. (I have a Canadian >import.) As an introduction to the US, many of Emmerdale's >best tunes were combined some new songs to create "Life". >(So, in a way LIFE isn't the second "real" album". ) Also >they have plenty of other stuff on CD singles and a song on >the "A Life Less Ordinary" soundtrack. There's also an >import tribute album which is okay, not great. (It could use >a TMBG version of "Carnival" to spice it up. For that >matter, can easliy imagine Nina sobbing "everybody dies >frustrated and sad and that is beautiful.." on a TMBG >tribute.) Emmerdale was their first album and released in Sweden (their country of origin) and nowhere else. Their second album, Life, was released over there, too, and was all new songs. At roughly the same time, an album called 'Life' was released in the rest of Europe which featured most of the songs off the Swedish 'Life' but replaced some with a few songs off Emmerdale, plus a new version of Rise and Shine. Later 'Life' was released in America - this was the same as the European version with an extra song called Happy Meal. Then Emmerdale was released in other places (including the UK). There are Japanese versions (because The Cardigans are 'big in Japan'), but I'm not sure what's on them. An ep called 'Under the covers' collected some of their early B-sides, which are worth having (better than their more recent ones). Some of the songs off Emmerdale became later B-sides on singles. Their latest album is 'First Band on the Moon' which, I believe, is the same everywhere (although I wouldn't put money on it). They've got a pretty comprehensive web page. The address is: http://www.gryphon.com/cardigans/main/cardi.html Mark P.S. the Cardigans are tops, in case you didn't know. ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ Understand that you are another world in miniature and that in you there are the sun, the moon and also stars Laetitia Sadier ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34742ABF.A4B79C5A@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:19:18 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: What about BOBS? > What do the Bobs sound like? I mean I've only heard a few seconds of Particle > Man from the tmbg lo-fi tape, but .. are they kida like Weird Al? I picked up > one of their cd's in the store one time and saw a song on the back that said > "Be My Yoko" LOL! Parodying BNL too eh? > > sarah > I have one Bobs song called "Please, Let Me Be Your Third World Country" on a various artists CD. To me, a cappella can either be very catchy or as in this case, extremely annoying and dorky. The song is a bunch of one-liners thrown together without any style or finesse. I suppose it's possible the rest of their work is better but I have no desire to find out. (Still, if they have the sense to cover TMBG, I suppose I should have at least a little respect for them.) If you want to hear a genuinely clever artist who is in *sort of* in the vein of TMBG or Moxy Fruvous I recommend Yazbek. He used to write for David Letterman and he has a real talent for creating songs that tickle the mind without seeming like corn ball attempts at humor. Plus the music is catchy too. I consider his song "Surface Tension" is of TMBG caliber. -B O N G O _________________________________ "It's such a beautiful night Inside of the bellies of a heifer" -Geggy Tah [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:33:06 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971120103306_2060814249@mrin45.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: They instore 11/21! Anyone planning on going to see TMBG @ Water Street on Nov. 21 (tomorrow if you're on the list, today if you're on the digest) -- DO NOT get there early! I just called up WBER and found out some excellent info! ~ between 3 to 4 pm They're doing an interview ~ at 7 pm they're doing an instore at the Record Archive @ 1880 East Ave. Woo hooo!! Whatta day I'm so psyched.. Gotta git lotta film.. and a camcorder battery.. and tapes.... 8) back to watching Springer, sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711201558.AA00931@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Cardy's Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:58:35 -0500 (EST) Now that you mention it I do have the Canadian import of Emmerdale. I think it was normal US new album price, though, strangely enough. Maybe $14.99. I do enjoy it more than First Band on the Moon. Speaking of Cardigan isn't that a town in Britain? Later, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:12:38 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Message-id: <34746F86.1B03@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 Okay, okay...... call me slow or whatever. But Who is Moxy Fruvous? I keep hearing the name, but am not familiar with them myself. I know they're a band..... but what's their music like? I'd like to know if it's worth searching out and getting their cd or not. ~Sarah~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:35:54 -0800 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Message-id: <34749F2A.1F3C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Sarah wrote: > > Okay, okay...... call me slow or whatever. But Who is Moxy Fruvous? I > keep hearing the name, but am not familiar with them myself. I know > they're a band..... but what's their music like? I'd like to know if > it's worth searching out and getting their cd or not. Moxy Fruvous is Dave Matheson, Jian Ghomeshi, Murray Foster, and Mike Ford. They are by far my favorite live performing band. If you have a chance to ever see them live. I more than recommend it. I also believe that buying at least once CD is worth it. I know many many people that love these guys. Get Bargainville sometime and judge for yourself. The style of music is very erratic. TMBG links with Fruvous because they are both intelligent music. The similarities end there (except maybe that they both like the other's music). It ranges from a capella to beatles-esque, ballads to jazz tunes. All of it has four part harmony and great lyrics. The Frulads put on the best live show you'll ever see. Check out http://www.fruvous.com to get more information on Fruvous touring or read some fan reviews of shows. If you have any Fruvous questions, just ask. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711201734.AA00991@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:34:19 -0500 (EST) > Sarah wrote: > > > > Okay, okay...... call me slow or whatever. But Who is Moxy Fruvous? I > > keep hearing the name, but am not familiar with them myself. I know > > they're a band..... but what's their music like? I'd like to know if > > it's worth searching out and getting their cd or not. > > Moxy Fruvous is Dave Matheson, Jian Ghomeshi, Murray Foster, and > Mike Ford. They are by far my favorite live performing band. If > you have a chance to ever see them live. I more than recommend it. > I also believe that buying at least once CD is worth it. I know > many many people that love these guys. Get Bargainville sometime > and judge for yourself. Yes, or their new one, _You Will Go to the Moon_ which is equally great and either are good to start off with (although many get hooked by King of Spain on Bargainville). > The Frulads put on the best live show you'll ever see. Check I agree with Chad here, I like Fruvous live shows the best even more than TMBG, their show and after-show chats are just fantastic! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:05:04 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Message-ID: On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: * Yes, or their new one, _You Will Go to the Moon_ which is equally great * and either are good to start off with (although many get hooked by King * of Spain on Bargainville). *Sigh* Yet _another_ band to add to my list of bands I need to start listening to. This sounds like money, money, money. * > The Frulads put on the best live show you'll ever see. Check * I agree with Chad here, I like Fruvous live shows the best even more * than TMBG, their show and after-show chats are just fantastic! Yikes! I know you wouldn't utter such near-blasphemous statements if they weren't true, but still... That doesn't make it hurt any less. :P RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3474A064.32B2@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 15:41:21 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG- Moxy Fruvous, Brian Dewan and Lincoln Hello all-- I'd just like to say-- Sarah, listen to the boys! They got me hooked on Fruvous over the summer and I recommend the band to anyone. I believe that Matt James is the resident know-it-all for things Fruvous, so I'd send any relevant questions his way. Their web site is chock full of information, too, so be sure to check that out (I believe it was posted recently). I'm going to mention *again* (you're probably sick of hearing about this by now) that Brian Dewan will be performing on my radio show on December 3rd. Instead of the normal electric zither (which is quite a pain to haul up 3 flights of stairs), he'll be playing an autoharp and (dare I say it) an accordian, so that should make for an interesting show. Happiness is an autoharp away, I always say. Did anyone go to the Brandies show last night? I imploded and was unable to go anywhere on Wednesday, so now I'm curious as to how that went (the show, not my implosion. I know how *that* went). Why is it that I'm the only human being in the Downtown Boston area that's heard of Lincoln? Actually, more specifically, why can't I find their CD???!!? There's this demo-tape thing that's floating around, but I'm not sure how authentic it is and I want the CD. HELP!!!!!! ahem. I played "Dogmatic" by Candy Butchers last night on the radio. It made me happy. Resident crack supplier to the list, Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:19:35 -0500 From: Sarah Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Message-id: <3474A967.465C@wmich.edu> Organization: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/5999 Hey all! And know I know....... It sounds like I should definitely check the Fruvous out.... It sounds like my kind of music.... ~Sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971120232837.00679488@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:28:37 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: catalog | Pathetic Ramblings... | No Reference to >on a totally unrelated note: >has anyone in the west gotten the magical mystical catalog from the info >club? ah well... >=) I is in the (Mid)West and I recieved mine. And since I got it, more and more, TMBG fans have been popping outta the woodworks when I flip through it at school. Today I was in seminar (read: Home Room) and I was playing Apollo 18, and one of the popular kids (who I would have suspected to join in on the screaming of TURN IT OFF...) started singing along with the guitar. We had a lil' conversation about how cool the band is. I feel Joy! My friend having no idea got Mono Puff's single for free from a friend. He had no idea who Mono Puff was, but he recognized Flansie and just got it to piss me off. He liked it though... I've got to get me a copy of that... Shaun "Ineffectual Nothing..." Struble Illiterate Rainbow Productions ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971120235427.00675eac@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:54:27 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: NON-TMBG: Lincoln es muy bien, Leffel es muy gigante > Why is it that I'm the only human being in the Downtown Boston area >that's heard of Lincoln? Actually, more specifically, why can't I find >their CD???!!? There's this demo-tape thing that's floating around, but >I'm not sure how authentic it is and I want the CD. HELP!!!!!! Que? Whats up with that? I live in Hutchinson (Read: Large Town [not city] in Kansas) and I was able to get Lincoln (they had three copies for god's sake). I know I may be the only person in Nowheresville (read: Here) that has heard of 'em (except my friends who I subjected it to, MY only-listen-to-metalica friend liked it) but in Boston. GAH! Shi Ni Tsuba O Haku... Shaun "Ineffectual Nothing..." Struble Illiterate Rainbow Productions (Illiterate Rainbow is (C) & TM 1997 S. Steven Struble) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:17:36 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: NON-TMBG: Lincoln Message-ID: www.cheap-cds.com has Lincoln's CD listed for $8.72. I would check them out. :) RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971121011613.24194.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:16:13 -0800 (PST) From: "The Great and Wise Nick Hatton :\)" Subject: TMBG: Catalog you say? Umm I live 40 min north of LA and I got mine on MONDAY!!! Bwhaaa hhaa you poor people! It is very neat, but it seemed kinda skimpy on the ep side (i.e State songs, mayors, and o tannebaum) but other than that it was very neat. Anakin1 == .....engaging lurk device..... Spaceballs: The .sig Evil will always win because good is....Dumb. __________________________________________________________________ Sent by Yahoo! Mail. Get your free e-mail at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:22:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971120222228_1105404048@mrin39> Subject: TMBG: Real Audio interview (11/21) Hi again! Gee I feel like I'm the only Rochester person that bothers to read the list anymore (or at leasts posts ;)) Any outsiders going to the Roch show? Anyways, I hope anyone with Real Audio reads this on time! :D Tomorrow (11/21) TMBG are doing an interview on the local TMBG-friendly station before their instore, before the concert. And since the station is simultaneously broadcast on the net, you can hear the interview (if you don't have RA now, maybe yaoughtta go dload it eh?) -.. it *should* be between 3-4 pm (EST), but of course you can never expect things to follow schedule.:) so take a looksie over at : http://wber.monroe.edu It should be totally rockin!;) sarah <-- 24 hours from now will be seeing They:) linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "fasterthanapourposewhocanburponpurposeeucalyptusthatcanlickus"~ geggy tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971121044355.0067a198@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:43:55 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Real Audio interview (11/21) | Leffelism Free (Like Oh for the name of Bruce Campbell. I'll be in school! Ach du freaking Lieber! Infierno es Muy Caliente! Could some one record this and spout it back to me as a wave? So that I don't miss out on this? Please? If not for me. Do it for Flansie and Linnell. Uh I think I should spout my .sig and end this message now... S. "Ineffectual Nothing" Struble Illit. Rainbow Prod. >Anyways, I hope anyone with Real Audio reads this on time! :D Tomorrow >(11/21) TMBG are doing an interview on the local TMBG-friendly station before >their instore, before the concert. And since the station is simultaneously >broadcast on the net, you can hear the interview (if you don't have RA now, >maybe yaoughtta go dload it eh?) -.. it *should* be between 3-4 pm (EST), but >of course you can never expect things to follow schedule.:) so take a looksie >over at : > >http://wber.monroe.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3475111F.6CB5@sympatico.ca> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:42:07 -0500 From: Ray Mootrey Organization: Ingredient Supply Co., Inc. Subject: TMBG: Toronto show I can't wait to see them at Lee's Palace on Saturday--it'll be my first TMBG concert. (and I'm seeing both shows!) I sure would be glad to meet some list people at the show, so if you're going, maybe e-mail me! -Sean Mootrey. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-324 ******************************