Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-325 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 325 Saturday, 22 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: QUIZ! TMBG: Re: TMBG, Moxy, Yazbek, Altman Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? TMBG: RE: TMBG-Quiz! TMBG: Quiz TMBG: Cardigan TMBG: TMBG-RealAudInt TMBG: Brandeis Show Re: TMBG: QUIZ! Re: TMBG: QUIZ! TMBG: Fruvous Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <34756C87.4028DEE0@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 03:12:13 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: QUIZ! Here's a little quiz: What do the COVERS of Then:TEY and The Guitar single have in common? I suppose there can be many answers to this but I'm looking for one in particular. To me it's sort of a negative thing. Also, the fact that only two TMBG cover designs (that I of know of) share this characteristic has some significance, I think. The first person to answer correctly will get to spin Bongo's TMBG Prize Wheel (TM). This week's prize wheel features items ranging from a Flans guitar pick to the actual wax cylinder on which "I Can Hear You" was recorded. Good luck contestants. -B O N G O __________________________________________________________ "When you go down to where you know, don't forget what you don't know." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:50:46 -0500 (EST) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG, Moxy, Yazbek, Altman Message-Id: I love these "if you like TMBG..." threads! I've found some amazing music by checking out the recommendations of other folks who like the same bands or musicians I do. In TMBG Digest #3-324, Ryan Staib commented (in response to Matt James' very justified gushing about Moxy Fruvous' live performances): > Yikes! I know you wouldn't utter such near-blasphemous statements if > they weren't true, but still... That doesn't make it hurt any less.:P > I think it's possible to have an equally good time with different bands! Don't be afraid to try out new experiences! The Johns love lots of different artists' music, I'm sure, and I doubt they'd consider it blasphemy if others did as well. No one is disputing the fact that TMBG is incredible... but so is Fruvous. Not to mention... As Bongo wrote: > If you want to hear a genuinely clever artist who is in > *sort of* in the vein of TMBG or Moxy Fruvous I recommend > Yazbek. He used to write for David Letterman and he has a > real talent for creating songs that tickle the mind without > seeming like corn ball attempts at humor. Plus the music is > catchy too. I consider his song "Surface Tension" is of TMBG > caliber. > I couldn't agree more! Yazbek is very likely to appeal to fans of TMBG or Moxy Fruvous (of whom I am also a big fan and whom I also endorse strongly for TMBG fans). He has one album out on the W.A.R.? label called "The Laughing Man," and his second, "Tock," is due out in early 1998. You can check out some of his music by visiting his web site at http://www.yazbek.com; he has some sound clips from the first album. Another musician in a similar vein is Sean Altman, formerly of Rockapella, recently gone solo. He also has sound clips on his web site at http://www.bigsean.com. (I'll admit frankly I'm biased on this one; I maintain Sean's web site. But I do it because his music is so wonderful!!) Nancy McGrath ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Nancy McGrath/nancy@bigsean.com Visit Sean Altman's Seanosphere at http://www.bigsean.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:09:13 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous? Message-id: On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Sarah wrote: > Okay, okay...... call me slow or whatever. But Who is Moxy Fruvous? I > keep hearing the name, but am not familiar with them myself. I know > they're a band..... but what's their music like? I'd like to know if > it's worth searching out and getting their cd or not. They're four guys from Toronto whose music combines elements of folk, bluegrass, grunge, hip-hop and a capella with intelligent lyrics often touching on political satire. Often compared to TMBG even though their sounds really aren't similar. They have 4 albums, two of which (Bargainville and You Will Go To The Moon) are available in the states. In addition, they are a mindblowing live band, several times better than TMBG in my mind. Very well worth checking out. Go to www.fruvous.com today! :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Everything I need to know, I learned from IRC: 1. The entire world is from Rochester and Bowling Green. 2. "licks" is spelled with asterisks and capitals. 3. Hail Murray, full of bass." - Sirilyan, #MoxyFruvous ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711211543.JAA03835@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: RE: TMBG-Quiz! Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:28:32 -0600 > Here's a little quiz: What do the COVERS of Then:TEY and > The Guitar single have in common? > > I suppose there can be many answers to this but I'm > looking for one in particular. To me it's sort of a negative > thing. Also, the fact that only two TMBG cover designs > (that I of know of) share this characteristic has some > significance, I think. > I got it! There is no reference to Billy Barty! I win! I win! I win! I win! Mike "Licking that mentally challenged dachsund" Leffel ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711211556.AA01596@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Quiz Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:56:19 -0500 (EST) I think I've got it. Both the Guitar single and T:TEY mention something about a band called There Must Be Giants or was that Them Mighty Blow Whales? Drat, what was that name? ;) -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711211825.SAA07287@boober.lineone.net> From: "Paul Turner" Subject: TMBG: Cardigan Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:33:40 -0000 >Speaking of Cardigan isn't that a town in Britain? Indeed. A small town on the Welsh coast. It's a bay too. But so far as I know the band were named for the garment rather than as a publicity exercise for the Colwyn Borough Council. Paul ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:08:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-RealAudInt Message-ID: <19971121.140852.4006.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) Just to let everyone know, I checked out WBER, the radio station that someone so graciously posted on this list yesterday, and the TMBG live interview has been changed to 5 p.m. EST. This station rocks!!! They played I Palindrome I and also a song by Lincoln which I really,really liked. I'm definitely getting their CD now... Anyway, you MUST check this out today, and you MUST have ReadAudio to listen to it! The station is at http://wber.monroe.edu ^v^ Jeff "south carolina radio stations suck, i'm movin to new york" Parker ^v^ ooops, forgot to add that south carolina sucks in general, except for the moonshine ------------------------------ From: PaulLB@aol.com Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:17:18 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971121141717_-1138670113@mrin86.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Brandeis Show Amanda Asked if anyone went to the Brandeis show. I did, and here's a copy of the review I posted to the NG yesterday (my apologies to those that have already seen this). One person replied that he disliked the show due to the "crowd being made up mostly of idiots." Hope he wasn't taking about me ;) Hey, Haven't seen anyone post on this yet so I thought I'd give a short review. The event was in a good-sized function room (Ball Room) at the Brandeis Student Center. Brandeis is, by the way, about 15 miles from Lincoln, MA, their hometown and where both Johns' folks still live. I wonder if they feel compelled, or otherwise obligated to stop in on their parents when they have a gig so close to home. Basic college crowd, some younger high school types, a few slightly-older-than-the-college-types like me and Alice (my ex-girlfriend and current wife). One substantially older couple, who we later determined were probably Hal's parents. Lincoln opened with their now usual set. They're starting to look a little bored up there. They introduced their song "Sucker" as a song called "Dan Hickey." A joke, I guess (get it? sucker, hickey, get it?). Also kind of sad than they got their biggest response for their one cover tune, the Monkee's "Stepping Stone." I noticed during the break between Lincoln and TMBG that they had a smoke machine operating in the back of the room. I guess they were trying to reproduce the feel of the nightclub atmosphere "made up entirely of cigarette smoke." TMBG came on right about 10 PM and played for almost two whole hours! Actually, they were on stage for nearly that long (1:50 maybe) but spent a LOT of time talking (which is cool with me). They both seemed to be in extremely good moods, I mean both of them were constantly joking and laughing, jumping around and generally goofing off and having fun. Probably the best performance I've yet to see John and John give in about 12 shows I've been to (although not the best show overall due to lack of horns and a sub par audience). I was also very, VERY impressed with Hal's technical work. I mean he was rippin'! I've seen him a couple times before (the recent Lupo's show and with Monopuff last year) but he is clearly feeling a freedom to show off a little. Maybe the Johns have been encouraging him, or maybe he was just showing off for his parents. They played most the standards, plus most other the non-standards that they've been including lately (bottle, shoehorn, etc.) and all the FS stuff. Was surprised to hear a very good rendition of Letterbox (which they seem quite relieved to pull of so well). New songs included Dr. Worm, On The Drag (introduced as St. Marks Place) and Finished with Lies (that's as in: I'm telling the truth from now on, I'm Finished with Lies), also did the Planet of the Apes bit, as described in other posts. Overall a very very good show. Lots of banter, for example: "This next song features a cannon, a violent weapon for a violent song about a violent man for a violent audience, that was raised on violence!" And "Come down to see our Mercury Lounge shows in NYC. Blow off your family on Thanksgiving! They let you sleep in the bus station now, no hassles, really!" Also, has anyone else noticed how much better their lighting and visual effects have gotten over the last couple years? -- Yer Pal Paul ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:11:04 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: QUIZ! Message-ID: Well, the main similarity I noticed between the 2 covers is that they're both constructed out of a malleable poly-bicarbonate alloy which withstands extreme heat, shock, and any attempt to grind it up and smoke it. Also the words they might be giants are presented in lower case. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:22:22 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: QUIZ! Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, 99 and 44/100% MIKe! wrote: * Also the words they might be giants are presented in lower case. OK, if that's the answer, I'm going to be mad. I looked at the two covers for about 20 minutes and could discern no similarities that would separate them from the rest of TMBG album covers. I rejected the possibility that they both had lower case letters because of the difference in size and style of the "g" on the top of T:TEY and the "G" on the bottom. They are clearly not the same style. One is lower case and one is upper case. But I guess you could make the case different by stating that "they might be" is presented in lower case on both of the covers. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971121144828.00685c80@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:53:28 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Fruvous >> What do the Bobs sound like? I mean I've only heard a few seconds of Particle >> Man from the tmbg lo-fi tape, but .. are they kida like Weird Al? I picked up >> one of their cd's in the store one time and saw a song on the back that said >> "Be My Yoko" LOL! Parodying BNL too eh? > I have one Bobs song called "Please, Let Me Be >Your Third World Country" on a various artists CD. To me, a >cappella can either be very catchy or as in this case, >extremely annoying and dorky. I have VERY mixed feelings about The Bobs. _My, I'm Large_ is a terrible album, with the possible exception of "Helmet"; I returned it pronto. _Cover the songs of..._ is neat, but gets old fast. However, I recently picked up _Too Many Santas_ and was pleasantly surprised by how melodic and strong it was. So I dunno, but I really doubt I'll be buying anything of theirs anytime soon. For the record, "Be My Yoko" easily predated the release of BNL's "Be My Yoko Ono." >Okay, okay...... call me slow or whatever. But Who is Moxy Fruvous? I >keep hearing the name, but am not familiar with them myself. I know >they're a band..... but what's their music like? I'd like to know if >it's worth searching out and getting their cd or not. YES!!! MY GOSH, YES!!! The Fab FruFour are, in my book, right up there near TMBG. My personal experience has been that TMBG fans tend to like Moxy Fruvous (and vice versa). They sound like... well, themselves. They're as tough to categorize as TMBG. Emphasis is on vocals (beautiful four-part harmonies), smart, wry lyrics, and the occasional political statement. I recommend _Bargainville_ if you've never heard them before; skip _You Will Go To The Moon_ for now. (I say this for the same reason that I recommend _Flood_ to TMBG newbies rather than _Miscellaneous T_; the material is just as strong but less... how to put this... accessible.) >* > The Frulads put on the best live show you'll ever see. Check >* I agree with Chad here, I like Fruvous live shows the best even more >* than TMBG, their show and after-show chats are just fantastic! > Yikes! I know you wouldn't utter such near-blasphemous statements >if they weren't true, but still... That doesn't make it hurt any less. :P I'm with Chad on this one. I've been to two TMBG concerts, and I thought both were dandy, just swell, and the people I've dragged along with me have said that TMBG shows are among the best they've ever seen (one of them goes to at least a concert a month). And then I went to my first Frushow. It was darn near indescribable. I was laughing and singing and doing silly dances, and afterwards I got to meet the band and tell them how much I appreciated them, and, well, darn it, GO SEE FRUVOUS LIVE!!! --nicole the wonder nerd 3 stamps on her Fruhead card! Not bad for a California girl, eh? *** "There's three new roses in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-325 ******************************