Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-326 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 326 Sunday, 23 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 11/20 concert pics TMBG: TMBG Quiz ANSWER! TMBG: INXS versus XTC TMBG: RE: Quiz Answer ...Will The Real John Linnell Please Stand Up? Non-TMBG: As long as traffic is light... TMBG: Elektra split? TMBG: That RealAudio interview... Re: NON-TMBG: Cardy's Re: TMBG: TMBG movies | catalog TMBG: T M B G ~ 11/21! {looooong} TMBG: Coincidence or conspiracy? Re: TMBG: Elektra split? Re: TMBG: Coincidence or conspiracy? TMBG: DAS power Re: TMBG: Elektra split? Re: TMBG: T M B G ~ 11/21! {looooong} TMBG: Lincoln Demo Tape? TMBG: tmbg 11/23 + other stuff TMBG: BNL for TMBG hostage exchange... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 02:53:09 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 11/20 concert pics Message-ID: Howdy folks, I just added 50 new pics from the show at the Mercury Lounge last night.. this time they include some wider shots then usual, as well as my patented close-ups. :) -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3476BC9D.CC44894C@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 03:06:16 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG Quiz ANSWER! Here comes the answer to my quiz plus a long, boring explanation...(What do the COVERS of Then:TEY and The Guitar single have in common?) As the time of this writing, I got about 10 guesses sent to directly to me. Amazingly, just about everyone suspected it had something to do with the typography of the band's name. That part is correct. Many pointed out that their name is in all lower case (with the possible exception of the "g" in "Giants" on THEN). However that's NOT the answer I was looking for. Remember, I said the answer has some sort of significance (in my mind anyway) . ***Jim Kuemmerle was the first to get the REAL answer right. Followed by S. Struble and Jamal.*** The answer is that in both of these designs, the word "Giant" is much larger than "they might be". Usually if any part of the name is larger than the rest its "might be". You're probably saying, "yeah, so what!". Well, ask yourself this: Out of all their album and single cover designs, why do only two emphasize the word "giant"? [... a brief pause while you think...] This is only a theory but doesn't it seem like someone, whether it be the Johns or they're representatives, don't want "giant" emphasized? My point is that unlike most bands, they named themselves after a *phrase* not a *thing* . That's why it really doesn't make sense to call them "the Giants" for short. Some other bands that have this type of name are "Rage Against the Machine", "Better than Ezra", "They Eat Their Young" and "Save Ferris". Do fans of those bands call them "the Machines", "the Ezras", "the Youngs" or the "Ferris" The real problem isn't that it doesn't make sense to call them "the Giants" but that average top 40-listening idiot hears the name "They Might Be Giants" and instantly assumes the Johns are calling themselves Giants... as if they were bragging about what bad asses they are. We all know that the Johns are very humble and the only time they present themselves rock gods is when they are mocking another style as in "Hotel Detective" These guys very rarely even put photos of themselves on their CDs. So its my guess that "giants" is de-emphasized to avoid misleading anyone. (Yeah, I know they've called themselves "the Giants" occasionally but maybe they were justing being polite and gave the world what its used to.) And that was the point of my little quiz. I'll be back next week with a harder one. -B O N G O ___________________________________________________________________ "Wouldn't it be great if Tinkerbell *tinked* everybody on the head with the kitchen sink." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711221209.GAA00740@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: INXS versus XTC Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 05:54:06 -0600 I didn't know INXS was covering Exquisite Dead Guy.... --How elegantly wasted... Mike "El Bastardino" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711221219.GAA00798@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: RE: Quiz Answer ...Will The Real John Linnell Please Stand Up? Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 06:04:33 -0600 I haven't seen hide nor hair of the film, but wasn't the MIGHT BE bigger for some reason because of it? > And that was the point of my little quiz. >I'll be back next week with a harder one. > ..uh.. Mike "Sometimes a Groupo is just a Groupo" Leffel http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html COMING SOON! SCANNERABILITY!!! HHAHAHAHHAHA!! but for now, enjoy the Muppets and the PETER JENNINGS COASTERS (brought to you by the naming capabilities of Joey Groah, who I admire because he got to speak with someone very close to TMBG and hasn't even told the list about it) ^_^ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 07:21:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: Non-TMBG: As long as traffic is light... Message-id: <01IQAVN30RHU8ZFT70@alpha.montclair.edu> All this hawking of other music has got me poised to throw my silly little loose change in... Absolutely the BEST CD you can buy if you dig TMBG is the soundtrack to "Tonari No Totoro," one of my favorite movies. It's beautiful, melancholy and zany at the same time. Of course, it's an overpriced Japanese import, and 3 or so of the songs are sung in Japanese, but it manages to evoke more thought/emotion in me than most music I can read the lyric sheet for. (BTW- If you haven't seen the movie, it IS available in an English dub. It's called "My Neighbor Totoro" in English and will change your life. Go rent it nownownow.) done ranting, TomPoohHeadBucket (now available in mauve) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971122141912.0069cd28@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:19:12 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Elektra split? There's been a lot of discussion on alt.music.tmbg about a split from Elektra. I don't think I've heard anything about it here... Here's one of the postings: << I spoke with Hornblow myself, and gathered this info: The contract with Elektra has expired. They will no longer be with them. I then inquired about a new album, but the answer is no. They haven't recorded ANYTHING for a new album. The live album, Severe Tire Damage, might be released in a year or so, but nothing is concrete. >> Any truth to any of this? I kind of doubt it considering all the discussion that went on about this when FS was released. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971122142003.006968cc@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:20:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: That RealAudio interview... Does anyone have a transcript of that WBER (IIRC) interview? I wasn't able to listen in, but I heard a lot of very interesting things were said. Thanks, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3474A543.1841@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:01:55 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Cardy's Matthew James wrote: > Speaking of Cardigan isn't that a town in Britain? Cardigan is in Wales. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34737EBD.B25@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:05:17 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG movies | catalog > on a totally unrelated note: > has anyone in the west gotten the magical mystical catalog from the info > club? ah well... I got mine yesterday (Tuesday), and I'm in WA state... though my pal hasn't. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:01:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971122160102_1570220636@mrin44.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: T M B G ~ 11/21! {looooong} to whoever is interested in my night last night... read on! :D at 5 they did a wber interview.. and DUMBASS Joey Guisto said "So what's this tribute cd that's coming out?" (or something I'm paraphrasing) and the Johns said "well we're the last to know.." and Joey goes "Oh really? Well I was surfing through some pasges on the net.." so I *immediately* called up and told the phone guy that it's a *tape* by the internet fans called We Might Be Giants Too. So then they got the message and Flans said that sounded kinda "strange" and "funky!" LOL!!! The interview started out kinda boring but got funnier. it was 45 mins in case you want copies.. We got to the record archive a little bit before 7.. the "stage" (an orange rug basically) was set up in back in a very living-room-esque set up. (there was a guy behind me in a recliner). Lincoln began after a while and I immediately fell in love with them. They are extremely good. kinda like the Rheostatics (the vocals especially, WOW) and a bit of the Tragically Hip. And I think the lead guitaritst (who's from rochester!) played a zither for a couple songs.. I'm not up on my zithers (i know I should be) but I'm assuming that's what it was. Yes I taped them if you're interested:) Then even though my shoulder *killed* from the dumb camera, TMBG came on and it was so surreal you know being a foot away.. Oh yeah, dig Flans's new haircut.. (it's very short, with this pointy deal in front) i feel bad cause I didn't recognize him standing in front of me until he walked over to the microphone, LOL.. THEY DID DR. WORM!! It's so so so good live! It was even better in concert, but it is so cool! And I think the average age of the people there was like, 10 there were a bunch of toddlers there one dad was singing Cowtown to his little boy, that was kinda funny . Then when they were done my friend Matt (mdm98) just casually leaned over and picked up Linnell's set list, LOL! And on the way out I grabbed a couple flats off the wall of Lincoln and Tmbg.:) *Then* we went straight to Water St, waited for about 40 minutes and got in. I ran up front to the only place I could find (it ended up being almost between the 2 johns, maybe a bit closer to flans.. huh that's where I was last year ) and I was talking to the college people next to me -- and later we were talking about the instore and how they missed it and about me making a copy of it, all the sudden this guy Dan goes "wait are you on america online?" -- it was Snooooky from cowtown! LOL! how ironic is that? So then after about 3 rotations of this cartoon-lounge-music cd they were entertaining us with, Lincoln *finally* came on stage, I took some pics of them. :) they rocked even more than they did at the instore. :) :) I have to get their cd. Later on, at about 11:30, TMBG finally came on for what would be a 2 hour show! 8) I didn't get a set list, but here's what I'm conjuring from memory. I can only remember in order the 1st 2 songs, after that is not in order. -- Istanbul, James K. Polk (with confetti cannon*)... SEXXY, Till My Head Falls Off, How can I sing like a girl, Exquisite dead guy (i couldn't stop laughing, the puppet heads were very cute.. I thought linnell's was gonna fall on my head, LOL!), NYC, XTC v. Adam Ant, Spiralling Shape (!!!), James K. Polk, Pet Name (with all the lights off !), Spy, No ONe Knows My plan (no conga, phew!), Meet James Ensor (super slow, ballad style), Dig My Grave, She's Actual Size, Spider, The Guitar, BIrdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, Letterbox, Ana Ng, Shoehorn w/ teeth, Don't Let's Start, and an audience participation song for planet of the apes-- when Hal and Dan played, we chanted "People!" and for the Johns it was "apes." I need a copy of this tape.:) Linnell said how cool it was later on and how it was really bad that someone got kicked out for bootlegging the show. :P *The Confetti Cannon~ I did not realize this till I got home, pulling confetti off of my cardigan and out of my hair. It is: Shredded up money. I am so not kidding. I will even scan it. I have a buch of the confetti sitting on my dresser. I don't know why.. I took a whole roll of film (about 40 pics) and what was kinda funny, after the last one, a burly bouncer came up to the girl next to me who had her camera out and told her pictures weren't allowed.LOL.. Phew. well that's all I can think of (but I'm sure there's something else)... and oh, anyone who wants the instore (it's about 36 mins w/lincoln *and* tmbg) please let me know if you taped last night's Mr. Show -- I forgot to set the vcr (and a note to you all.. I'm posting this to the tmbg list too so please don't hit reply to all :)) sarah w/sore muscles and throat http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3477507F.603B@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:37:03 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Coincidence or conspiracy? Hey, remember that old NES game called River City Ransom? The old game where you went through that city whooping all those cutesy little gang members? I was playing the other day, and I noticed that Benny and Clyde (those two punk brothers who you fight twice) look almost exactly like John and John... Also, I heard TMBG on the radio yesterday! It kicked ass! They played Evil Twin by request (my request...), then they played a block of TMBG later by some other request... and then they played TMBG SPONTANEOUSLY! Like, without request! It was cool! Maybe TMBG will make their top 30... ;) -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:06:07 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Elektra split? Message-ID: On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: * <> * Any truth to any of this? I kind of doubt it considering all the * discussion that went on about this when FS was released. I have read before that they have a 7 record deal with Elektra, and since they haven't made 7 records yet, I find it unlikely. However, why would someone say they spoke with TMBG's management if they hadn't...? But then again, the Johns said they were happy with Elektra and wouldn't quit, and this was during all the interviews for FS, so why would they have said this knowing their contract was up??? Beats me. RS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:20:39 -0600 (CST) From: Jason Loss Subject: Re: TMBG: Coincidence or conspiracy? Message-ID: I have that game... and started playing it to see what you said, AND IT'S TRUE! I've had that game, which is bad ass, and I've played it a million times, but I've never noticed that before... hehehe "So, Paul, back on that ol' time is money kick, right?" "Not back on it Joe, still on it." cujrl2@pen.eiu.edu ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:49:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971122184926_1846737009@mrin47> Subject: TMBG: DAS power I was listening to Dial A Song in my kitchen on speaker phone, and When Tornadoes Take Over The World came on. Right on the line "All the things in the fridge that fell on the floor...." came on, an ice cube tray my mother was reaching for dropped out of the fridge and onto the floor. Freaky man. Freaky with a capitol "FREAK".\ Where nothing can possibleye go wrong, Jordan "Uh..possibLY go wrong..." [no last name given] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971122191953.006a1d70@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:19:53 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Elektra split? At 05:06 PM 11/22/97 -0500, you wrote: > > I have read before that they have a 7 record deal with Elektra, and >since they haven't made 7 records yet, I find it unlikely. However, why That was my thought too. Plus, don't you think that's something they would've mentioned in recent interviews? >would someone say they spoke with TMBG's management if they hadn't...? But The short answer is that some people are troublemaking pricks. :/ I don't understand why some people get their kicks pulling stunts like this, but I find it very irritating. :( >then again, the Johns said they were happy with Elektra and wouldn't quit, >and this was during all the interviews for FS, so why would they have said >this knowing their contract was up??? Beats me. Again, I feel exactly the same way. I'm fairly positive this person's just trying to rile people up, but I wanted to find out for sure. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! TMBG Fan O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199711230306.WAA25753@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: T M B G ~ 11/21! {looooong} Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:06:05 -0500 (EST) > > I think the lead guitaritst (who's from rochester!) played a zither for a > couple songs.. I'm not up on my zithers (i know I should be) but I'm assuming > that's what it was. Tsk, tsk, zither indeed! That's a steel guitar. Very different! (Ever tried crying in your beer to zither music? Not recommended!) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:50:35 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Patrick Fistler Subject: TMBG: Lincoln Demo Tape? Message-ID: Hey, I read on here that someone has the Lincoln demo tape. If someone does I want it. I have stuff to trade for it. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971123044625.0068eae8@spectra.net> Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:46:25 -0500 From: Girl From Venus Subject: TMBG: tmbg 11/23 + other stuff Hey, is anyone else going to the SUNY Oswego show on sunday? I bought a Lincoln promo that someone was selling on the web. they're kinda kool :) I like the first song, but i haven't listened to the album all the way thru yet. see ya, Amy ################# ThEy PaVeD pArAdIsE aNd PuT uP A pArKiNg LoT ========================== If RhYmEs WeRe VaLiUmS i'D bE cOmFoRtAbLy NuMb ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971123020019.00a43d74@uky.campus.mci.net> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 02:00:22 -0500 From: Bill Kirby Subject: TMBG: BNL for TMBG hostage exchange... thought some of you would be interested... you may remember me posting about me looking to trade music with a friend who is a BNL fan (he let me borrow Gordon (and a few other non-BNL cds) and i let him borrow Apollo 18 and Flood and a few other non-TMBG cds). in case you all want to know the result... he really liked the stuff i let him borrow and said he was definitely going to have to go out and get some TMBG for his cd collection. he also said he could understand why there was such overlap between TMBG and BNL fans. as for me, i LOVE Gordon! i've already played it for my wife (simply by virtue of my repeated listenings... hehehe.) and my sister (who really likes it). just what i needed - something else to spend money on! oh, well, what did i expect, you go looking for new music... ;) thanks for your input! -bk ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-326 ******************************