Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-328 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 328 Tuesday, 25 November 1997 Today's Topics: Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers Re: Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers TMBG: amendment to my 11/21 post TMBG: re: toronto show TMBG: cash TMBG: Candy Lincoln Butchers Re: TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: cash TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: VIVA TMBG: Minimum Waaage. HEEYA! >crack!< Re: TMBG: Minimum Waaage. HEEYA! >crack!< TMBG: TMBG RA Interview TMBG: The statue went good-bye TMBG: I now know the apparent truth Re: TMBG: I now know the apparent truth TMBG: Speaking of The Guitar single TMBG: mp3 site?! Re: TMBG: cash Re: TMBG: mp3 site?! Re: TMBG: cash TMBG: Re: MP3 site? ..Kiss Me, Son. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971123231450.006e25c8@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:14:54 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers >We found out >from him that the full length album that the Candy Butchers recorded >shortly before the label collapsed will never be released. Sadness all >around. No kidding! :( I was looking forward to it, as I *loved* the Candy Butchers song on the Hello Santa Special. No chance at all? Not even a weensy one? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "There's three new roses in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3479A990.63DB@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:21:36 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Candy Butchers > >We found out > >from him that the full length album that the Candy Butchers recorded > >shortly before the label collapsed will never be released. Sadness all > >around. > > No kidding! :( I was looking forward to it, as I *loved* the Candy > Butchers song on the Hello Santa Special. No chance at all? Nope, none at all. I don't know the particulars of it, but my guess is that Blue Thumb (the now-defunct label) was owned by a Big Corporate Recording Company and that BCRC now owns the rights to their songs, making it all but impossible to release the CD elsewhere. I know that they've been working on some new stuff, though, so there may be a Candy Butchers CD in our future. :^) Amanda ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:10:46 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971124171045_-2061934655@mrin51.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: amendment to my 11/21 post hmm.. i tried posting yesterday but it bounced back. ok, I can't rest easy unless I post this. I'm an idiot, so what.;) add to the song list in rochester that they also played Dr Worm and Twisting in the concert. doh doh doh.. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:17:13 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971124171712_1705422789@mrin52.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: re: toronto show In a message dated 11/24/97 6:56:33 AM, you wrote: >(they >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), it is.. I have some from my hair friday night sitting on my dresser >forward version of "Shoehorn with Teeth," a small cover of "The Sign" in the >middle of "Particle Man" (very funny, with Linnell on the accordion too), >Pet Name (in the dark!) Yup same for us very cool... there was a faint light from the bar and you could just make out their sillouhettes . ah yes! I was trying toemember what song he did that in He did that in Rochester too. :) Wow the TO show sounds kinda similar to the Roch show.:) Granted it was the next *day*. :) They were so *together* and happy... :):) I wanna se Them again!! :D sarah *achoo!* posting with the flu.. http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711242224.AA03299@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: cash Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:24:06 -0500 (EST) > >(they > >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), > methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG aren't that stupid. Did you check the watermarks? ;) -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: PaulLB@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:33:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971124173323_2094923252@mrin43.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Candy Lincoln Butchers Everybody's friend, MIKe Rose said: >Mrklaw pointed out that we had seen the bass guitarist >performing with the excellent Candy Butchers in times past. Wow! I never noticed, despite having seen both Lincoln and Candy Butchers twice. But now that you point it out, yes, it IS the same guy! He looks like Peter on the Brady Bunch! >We found out from him that the full length album that the Candy Butchers recorded >shortly before the label collapsed will never be released. Sadness all around. Exactly how does a travesty like this happen? It there nobody out there that will give these guys a chance? Sad. Confusing. Very disappointing. Maybe somebody, Flans perhaps, should start a kind of "recording club" where some lesser known artists can get their stuff out there and-.(**sudden flash of realization**). Uh, never mind. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971124230437.0069e168@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:04:37 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: cash > >methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is >no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG >aren't that stupid. >Did you check the watermarks? ;) > Actually They didn't shred their money. The government shreds up the old cash that they phase out, and sell in BIG bags. Because their is so many of these bags with all this pieces of money mixxed in, it is nigh impossiple to reassemble the money back into bills, so they sell it pretti damn cheap. So YES, it is real money they are firing out of their cannon. Mr. Gone Shaun Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:49:47 -0800 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: cash Message-id: <347A2EBB.6753@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Matthew James wrote: > > > >(they > > >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), > > > methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is > no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG > aren't that stupid. > Did you check the watermarks? ;) Actually, when I visited Washington DC with my Junior High class, we toured the mint (or whereever it is they make all that stuff) and they had scredded money for sale. One of my friends bought a bag of shredded 20 dollar bills for 3 bucks. - Chad ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:00:55 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: cash Message-ID: On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > >(they > > >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), > > > methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is > no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG > aren't that stupid. > Did you check the watermarks? ;) having never myself been (sigh) to one of Their concerts, i cannot speak to this directly, but methinks you can buy shredded US cash from a US mint, which destroys old bills as they are taken from circulation. -jim kuemmerle, who doesn't think they have that much money anyway... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ winner of BONGO's last trivia quiz! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711242254.AA03343@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: cash Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:54:13 -0500 (EST) > Matthew James wrote: > > > > > >(they > > > >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), > > > > > methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is > > no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG > > aren't that stupid. > > Did you check the watermarks? ;) > > Actually, when I visited Washington DC with my Junior High class, we > toured the mint (or whereever it is they make all that stuff) and > they had scredded money for sale. One of my friends bought a bag of > shredded 20 dollar bills for 3 bucks. And to think, I practically work in Washington, DC and I didn't know this! Thanks Chad (& Shawn), that's really interesting. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711242307.SAA32396@uwns.underworld.net> From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: Re: TMBG: cash Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:02:29 -0500 >> >(they >> >claimed it was shredded US cash, but it just turned out to be confetti), >methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is >no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG >aren't that stupid. it being cash is in no way unheard of. i know for a fact that you can buy a bag of a million dolars, shredded, for something like $10. the treasury does it. cuz the bills are going out of circulation anyway...so they figure they'll make some money off it. and why not? not like there's aything to lose. "its money" does not mean "we went to the bank, withdrew a whole lot of our own cash and then chopped it into little bits with scissors." sheesh. Kevin Keeler Master of Reality ***Official Member, A.. A..*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <347A095A.9B2CEF1C@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:10:19 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: TMBG: cash > Actually They didn't shred their money. The government shreds up the old > cash that they phase out, and sell in BIG bags. Because their is so many of > these bags with all this pieces of money mixxed in, it is nigh impossiple to > reassemble the money back into bills, so they sell it pretti damn cheap. So > YES, it is real money they are firing out of their cannon. Well, I have some confetti from the cannon from the 4 shows they did in Texas, and at none of those shows was the confetti anything other than multicolored paper. I can't speak for any other shows, but at the Texas shows, they didn't even pretend to be firing money. Mitch the Shrew ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:44:27 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: VIVA Message-ID: <19971124.184429.3030.1.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) This may seem off of what every one is talking about at the time, but does anyone know if TMBG will be back on Viva Variety? Just wondering. Andy Nichols (Amanda's bro) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711242359.RAA12490@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Minimum Waaage. HEEYA! >crack!< Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:43:48 -0600 Are there other songs called Minimum Wage out there, because there's a MP3 at http://members.aol.com/bossnetmp3/index.html#songs entitled "Minimum Wage" and it's likened to Bullet with Butterfly Wings.... it can't be TMBG's, is it? I'm not all that in-tune with the hip..... Lonely, Cold, Frightened, and engaged in a One On One Battle with the Constructicons, Mike "Damn Decepticons" Leffel http://contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <347A6173.45F1@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:26:11 -0800 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Minimum Waaage. HEEYA! >crack!< mal wrote: > > Are there other songs called Minimum Wage out there, because > there's a MP3 at > > http://members.aol.com/bossnetmp3/index.html#songs > > entitled "Minimum Wage" and it's likened to Bullet > with Butterfly Wings.... it can't be TMBG's, is it? > > I'm not all that in-tune with the hip..... > I've never heard the song in question, but I have heard OF it. I believe it's a parody of "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by Bob Rivers. (The parody, not "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" itself, is by Bob Rivers.) -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971124210704.0069cbd8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:07:04 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG RA Interview I came across this a little while ago: http://www.jamtv.com/sections/venue/text/archivesnew2.asp?ConcertID=57&Banne r=4830 Enjoy, -Adam ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:29:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971124212938_2039427310@mrin84.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The statue went good-bye hi. this is adam schaaf. this is to anyone who can help me. my tape containing the Apollo 18 singles (I Palindrome I, The Statue Got Me High and The Guitar) has been dubbed over. being that they are no longer available through the info club, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who knows of any online services selling these three eps, or anyone willing to do some 2:1 trades (I have nothing to trade with, and I know I'm coming across a bit pushy. I apologize.) if there is any kindly soul willing to point me in the right direction, please e-mail me. this has been a very trying ordeal. thanks -adam schaaf (Shaft137@aol.com) "Nobody understands genius." - Calvin "Shouldn't your zipper be on the front of your pants." - Hobbes ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:49:06 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: I now know the apparent truth Message-ID: There has been some talk here recently of whether or not TMBG's contract with Elektra is up, and I've just gotten it on good authority that in fact, they've been dropped. Despite the fact that they technically "owe" Elektra some more records, the contract was up for renewal and the decision was made not to renew. Not only that, but the live album (known at this time as Severe Tire Damage) is not scheduled for release until 1999, assuming that by that time they have found a new home. Prior to this, there is no new studio album planned, though we can be certain that they'll be recording lots of demos. I wish I had better news to report, but this seems to be the truth. Not that Elektra was so hot, but, this does throw into doubt the immediate future of the band. Ah well, I was always disturbed by the fact that they shared a label with Linda Ronstadt anyway. Perhaps they can join forces with XTC's IDEA label and make the records they want to. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971124215641.006a917c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:56:41 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I now know the apparent truth Very, very interesting. I dismissed it at first, but considering the source of this message, I'm inclined to believe that this is true. That's too bad about STD being put off. Maybe if they could release it through the fan club or something, we could give them a little extra spending money? ;) I've always wondered why they don't release fan club exclusives like a lot of bands, anyway... I'd flip if TMBG joined Idea! Unfortunately, several of the postings I've seen on Chalkhills seem to indicate that they'll only be releasing albums that have been recorded, but for some reason, could not be distributed (aside from XTC's own, of course). -Adam At 09:49 PM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote: > > There has been some talk here recently of whether or not TMBG's >contract with Elektra is up, and I've just gotten it on good authority >that in fact, they've been dropped. Despite the fact that they technically >"owe" Elektra some more records, the contract was up for renewal and the >decision was made not to renew. Not only that, but the live album (known >at this time as Severe Tire Damage) is not scheduled for release until >1999, assuming that by that time they have found a new home. Prior to >this, there is no new studio album planned, though we can be certain that >they'll be recording lots of demos. > I wish I had better news to report, but this seems to be the >truth. Not that Elektra was so hot, but, this does throw into doubt the >immediate future of the band. Ah well, I was always disturbed by the fact >that they shared a label with Linda Ronstadt anyway. Perhaps they can >join forces with XTC's IDEA label and make the records they want to. > > MIKe > *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* > THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour > --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- > AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com > *-----------------------------* > Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971124221423.00806ce0@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 22:14:23 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Speaking of The Guitar single There's no real good to say this, cause I'm sure to come of sounding like a maroon either nearly no matter what. Quite simply, I have a business proposition for someone. I would like to get your copy of The Guitar single or the (She Was A) Hotel Detective single on CD. And I'd like us to both be happy doing it. So, here's my offer. $30 for The Guitar, and $20 for (SWA)HD. Plus, I pay for all shipping. I also have one copy each of the Snail Shell and AKA Driver Promos. Plus I have around 12 bootlegs, I'd love to throw in a copy of some of those. I might sound nuts, but I do have my reasons. I live, sometimes it seems, in the middle of nowhere as far as decent used CD stores go. I know that in some places it's not all that uncommon to be browsing through a store and happen across something like this. I check the online CD places again and again, I simply can't find them. So, whoever has them, and wouldn't mind parting with them or maybe happens to see one in a bin somewhere tomorrow, email me. Dylan "TMBG could kick U2's arse's any day" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 22:53:22 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971124225320_-758623195@mrin40.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: mp3 site?! AH!.......there was a site with lots of tmbg mp3s on it http://as-115-90.ashton.indiana.edu/index.html its gone!......i believe the creator is on the list....... what happined?? ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 24 Nov 97 23:12 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: cash >methinks that must be a *very* good facsimile of US cash. There is >no way in a million years that I'd believe it was actual cash, TMBG >aren't that stupid. If it isn't real, it's incredibly good - the paper's the right thickness and everything. Kirsten -- "People who are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history." - former Vice President Dan Quayle ~ Kirsten Brodbeck ~ AKA Crow ~ kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ~ ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 site?! Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:30:27 -0500 Message-Id: <04344131200158@dancingink.com> Relax...... The site you are referring to is one that I've been helping Ryan Staib put together along with others from the list. He has left to visit home for the week and the site will be down for that time. He runs it on his PC. Keep checking back though, we have a lot more coming. :) AugieWan ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:50:03 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971125005002_-1842898066@mrin51.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: cash I have a pen from the bank my mom used to work at made of clear plastic and filled with shreeded moohlah. Graham ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711250634.AAA19501@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Re: MP3 site? ..Kiss Me, Son. Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 00:19:18 -0600 Tmbgneat@aol.com said.. > ..i believe the creator is on the list....... GOD likes They Might Be Giants?! ^_^ Mike "El Bastardino De La Heathen Pagano" Leffel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-328 ******************************