Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-33 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 33 Monday, 3 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Ebonics, apologies, um. TMBG: TMBG, except different Re: TMBG: Eric Scummyhorn, dreams Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers Re: TMBG: Ebonics, apologies, um. TMBG: TMBG: Crossover fans Re: Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers TMBG: Re: Racist bullshit - farewell losers, ERIC TMBG: Re: Eric Re: Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers TMBG: TMBG at Circuit City TMBG: WOOHOOO! DAS! TMBG: dreams, etc. TMBG: Newsday TMBG: Newsday URL TMBG: Re: WOOHOOO! DAS! TMBG: Newsday, DAS Re: TMBG: Re: WOOHOOO! DAS! TMBG: Edison TMBG: Irving Plaza Shows TMBG: my god, these posts are dream inducing! TMBG: Re: Edison Re: TMBG: Re: Edison Re: TMBG: Re: Edison TMBG: Irving Plaza shows! Re: TMBG: Edison Re: TMBG: DAS Re: TMBG: Edison, DAS Online (none) Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows! TMBG: April 18th TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too TMBG: TMBG Click-a-Song TMBG: Archiving Dial-A-Song TMBG: DAS TMBG: TMBG radio show TMBG: whoa... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 08:53:29 -0500 From: Jon Vile <106563.656@compuserve.com> Subject: TMBG: Ebonics, apologies, um. Message-ID: <199702020853_MC2-10A6-F309@compuserve.com> Hey world, its Jon Vile here, yeah thats right the prat who mailed the its not my birthday translation. OK, right. I feel I owe you all, especially the guy who left the list and now won't actually read this, but anyway. I'm sorry for sending it. I found thew idea of being able to translate who songs from one dialect to another a rather smart idea and as I was just talking to someonw who has never heared the song tell me that it wasn't her birthday and so I shouldn't be allowed to shout at her about it I foung it apt. Shit, this isn't going right at all, un, oh look I didn't do it to be racist or to slur anything or anyone I just did it out of some kind of moronic blurg. I'm a linguistics student, I'm studying the attitudes to dialect changes in English throughout the world, the fact that you could translate something impressed me, I wanted everyone else to experience it too. I fucked up, sorry. thats it. bye, see youall at some time or other in a bizzarly electronic way. ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 09:04:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202090447_1479030377@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG, except different I had 2 TMBG dreams about a week ago. In it I was watching Enertainment Tonight and they were doing a cover story on the two Johns. I remember they asked Linnell how he came up with his interesting lyrics and he said something about he writes whatever will rhyme together even if it doesn't make much sense. Experts say you have many dreams in one night and all of mine always seem to link together, because in my next dream I was in NY and I was going to be in a charity basketball game with Flans and Linnell. Now in both these dreams both Johns didn't really look like themselves. Linnell had jet black hair and he had on white face make-up (like the guys in the Cure) and Flansburg had browner skin and his hair was the same except it was long shoulder length in the back with beeds in it. Anyway we were in this small gym and the entire floor was covered with 2nd graders, sitting indian style and they wouldn't move. I kept trying to move them off the court but with no success. I turn around and the Johns were walking out the door saying that they didn't have time for this. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:10:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202101051_1927728752@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric Scummyhorn, dreams << >What exactly is the knock on Eric's playing? I can only seem to have weird KITH dreams.. I've had 2 KitH dreams and 3 TMBG dreams, hmmm. Guess I'll share my TMBG dreams with y'all, but they're pretty short. The first one I had was after I'd been up all night typing part of a doctoral dissertation for someone and my back was (naturally) a bit achy and would've killed for a massage. I dreamed that I was backstage after a TMBG show, and Flans walked by and said, "Hi, how are ya?" to me. I said, "Ok, but, oh, my back's really sore!" He said, "Aww, here, maybe this will help!" and gave me a quick shoulder rub--talk about having two wishes come true at once ;) The next dream took place at some outside concert; TMBG did a few songs (don't remember which ones), and then took a break. To my surprise, Flans came out and sat right next to me! There was music being piped in over some intercom, and "Sympathy for the Devil" came on. Flans turned to me and said, "Cool, I love this song! Do you like the Stones?" I said, "Kinda, but my mom's really into them!" (which is true). We talked a bit more, and the next thing I remember is Flans saying, "Shit, I've gotta get back onstage!" and he was gone, which was also the end of the dream. My third dream was (finally!) a Linnell dream. I was sitting at a table in some small club, and he was doing a solo show performing his State Songs. The club was almost empty, and I was right in front, so it was like he was performing just for me :) He even smiled at me a few times :) As I was leaving, though, I felt kinda sad that Flans wasn't there, but then I turned and saw him sitting in the back and waving at me! That was cool. Well, that's about it. Here's to more TMBG dreams for everyone! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970202103243.00695cd0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 10:32:45 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers At 03:14 AM 2/2/97 +0000, Jeffrey Scott Holland wrote: >That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > >> That dosen't mean everyone on the list is bad. You're gonna leave >> the list just cause of a few dumb posts. > >*** More than a few. In the week I've been here it seems more than half >the posts have been the jive translator junk or people commenting on how >hilarious it is. I thought maybe I'd caught the list on a bad week, but >no, several have written me privately to say, alas, this is actually one >of the list's more intelligent weeks. Sigh. I would love to know who said that. > > >>What are you going to do, >> remove yourself from society just because there's some people in it you >> don't like. > >*** how old are you? > I would love to know what that has to do with it. > > The way I see it, if you leave the list, it's your loss. > >*** What a loss. "Bohemian Rhapsody" translated into Jive. Uneducated >mama's boys saying "Well Slap Mah Fro!!!!". The loss will be agonizing. >I've only stuck around this long because I knew there would be an angry >mob assembled to tell me what a big dumb meanie I am. > What about thoughtful discussion of They Might be Giants and their music? There were only about 5 people really posting about the jive translator. That's 5 out of 500+ (List stats?). That hardly represents the entire list, and it especially does not represent TMBG fans on a whole. > >> If you think the posts on the list are stupid, why don't you post some >> constructive ones yourself? > >*** I already did. And now I've posted another one. I would love to know who considers flame wars constructive posts. I for one think the list is better with a couple assholes to stir up the pot. Where's Ruprect? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F487B0.193C@iclub.org> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 12:33:27 +0000 From: Jeffrey Scott Holland Organization: Apocalypse Ranch Subject: Re: TMBG: Ebonics, apologies, um. Jon Vile wrote: > I feel I owe you all, especially the guy who left the list and now won't > actually read this, but anyway. I'm sorry for sending it. *** I haven't left. I wanted to stick around and see if there was an aftermath to my letter..... :) > I'm a linguistics student, > I'm studying the attitudes to dialect changes in English throughout the > world *** Someone else here and I got in a big discussion in private mail (I got a lot of interesting feedback but unfortunately most of it was sent privately to me and not posted to the list) about this....."Jive", which is what the translator purports to be, is black urban hipster slang, which has several different versions depending what era you're in and much of it has now passed into white usage. However, the put-on deep-south accent ("Ah'm", "sho'", etc.) is rural and calls to mind "Uncle Tom's Cabin", definitely not the urban Jive. While I would also argue that to talk this way is not racist (I'm really NOT one of these people who goes around calling everyone a racist) , it seemed inordinately hilarious to the listmembers after a long while. Especially in light of people's earlier posts about rap "not being music".....it may be bad music, it may be uninspired and uncreative, but jeez, of course it's music. I fucked up, sorry. thats it. bye, see > youall at some time or other in a bizzarly electronic way. *** You didn't fuck up. Any one post would have been tolerable, yours just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back. I apologize, too, because a number of people have sincerely written me saying they don't want to be lumped in with the translator-posters. It seemed like an inordinate amount of posts were translator-related, but maybe it just seemed that way at the time. Maybe I should switch to decaf.... Sticking around the list fer a little while longer, Jeffrey Scott Holland Lexington, Kentucky ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702021638.LAA23418@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 2 Feb 97 11:40:39 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: I simply have too much stuff on my mind to have posted it in the header, sorry. 1) I never mind seeing non-TMBG stuff on here when it has "non-TMBG" in the message header. If I'm not in the mood I just skip that stuff. Simple as that. 2) The jive/ebonics stuff is SOOOO not funny. While I don't find it explicitly racist, I can see how some people might. (...plus, I'm a linguistics minor/English major, so I hear about this stuff all day. ouch.) 3) I -still- don't get the Eric stuff, though a few people really articulated their points well (in private mail to me)... Anyone, incidentally, who really likes Lyle Workman's playing should RUN and find a copy of "Nearly Human" by Todd Rundgren and/or "Yoyo" by Bourgeois Tagg. He's great, really. 4) Is anyone else drunk with delight that the first new episode of MST3K was incredibly funny? I think I fell asleep smiling. There seems to be a LARGE crossover between TMBG and MST3K fans. Wonder why... thanks for listening, tom. Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" (shutting up) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970202164728.0068620c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 11:47:28 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Crossover fans > 4) Is anyone else drunk with delight that the first new episode >of MST3K was incredibly funny? I think I fell asleep smiling. There >seems to be a LARGE crossover between TMBG and MST3K fans. Wonder >why... I've always found it interesting how similar weird people on the Internet are. I have web pages for Killer Tomatoes, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, "Weird Al", MST3K, the chocolate beverage Yoo-Hoo, the comic 'Legion of Super Heroes', and my own bizarre little band Bereft, and it's kind of funny to get mail from the same people from different pages of mine... I guess great minds have the same interests? :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F4F0AE.429D@cyberjunction.net> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 11:53:18 -0800 From: Aarti Organization: MILK!! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers Evan Chakroff wrote: > > At 03:14 AM 2/2/97 +0000, Jeffrey Scott Holland wrote: > >That rascal Eric Webber wrote: > > > >> That dosen't mean everyone on the list is bad. You're gonna leave > >> the list just cause of a few dumb posts. > > > >*** More than a few. In the week I've been here it seems more than half > >the posts have been the jive translator junk or people commenting on how > >hilarious it is. I thought maybe I'd caught the list on a bad week, but > >no, several have written me privately to say, alas, this is actually one > >of the list's more intelligent weeks. Sigh. > > I would love to know who said that. > > > > > > >>What are you going to do, > >> remove yourself from society just because there's some people in it you > >> don't like. > > > >*** how old are you? > > > > I would love to know what that has to do with it. > > > > > The way I see it, if you leave the list, it's your loss. > > > >*** What a loss. "Bohemian Rhapsody" translated into Jive. Uneducated > >mama's boys saying "Well Slap Mah Fro!!!!". The loss will be agonizing. > >I've only stuck around this long because I knew there would be an angry > >mob assembled to tell me what a big dumb meanie I am. > > > > What about thoughtful discussion of They Might be Giants and their music? > > There were only about 5 people really posting about the jive translator. > That's 5 out of 500+ (List stats?). That hardly represents the entire list, > and it especially does not represent TMBG fans on a whole. > > > > >> If you think the posts on the list are stupid, why don't you post some > >> constructive ones yourself? > > > >*** I already did. And now I've posted another one. > > I would love to know who considers flame wars constructive posts. > > I for one think the list is better with a couple assholes to stir up the > pot. Where's Ruprect? > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org Can we stop with this please? Lets not have any more apologies/discussions on htis subject. Does anybody else agree? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702021827.AA12350@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 13:20:31 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Re: Racist bullshit - farewell losers, ERIC >That last one from Jon Vile was the last straw. I really thought TMBG >fans were more intelligent, sensitive, and sophisticated than the >average MTV geek, but evidently not. Most of this gibberish is straight >outta Beavis & Butthead. Yes, Ebonics is stupid, yes, bad grammar is >stupid - (whether you're black or you're white), but idiots who think >the funniest thing they've ever heard is translating TMBG songs into >Amos & Andy racist caricatures are EVEN STUPIDER. Laugh it up, assholes! >Linnell & Flans would be ashamed to have anything to do with any of you. >I'm off this retarded list. See ya at your mommy's house. Uh-huh... One aspect of the modern world I despise (out of many) is this little thing called political correctness... First of all, it isn't *racist* at all, it is stereotypical. Stereotypes are around, and everyone fits into one. Live with it. Also, it isn't making fun of anyone, it is merely transforming known song lyrics into an interesting & different form. I find it funny. Granted, too much of it begins to get old, and I think we may have reached that stage. But in any unmoderated list you are going to get posts you don't like. We live in a (moderately) free country. You have the right to skip over or delete any message. Just because there were some posts I considered tasteless wouldn't force me off the list, there are too many great people & ideas floating around for that. People on this list do tend to be intelligent, but intelligent people can like things like beavis & buthead, & jim carrey and other 'stupid' humor just as much as less-intelligent people. I happen to like them a lot. Anyway, leave if you like, some of your ideas might actually be missed. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" Visit the official HomePage at: ----> http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702021831.AA12423@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 13:25:16 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Re: Eric In all the blabbering of the last post, I forgot totally about Eric! Here's my take on the issue. I don't like Eric. I don't think he fits into the band, he seems too taken with himself. I don't think any of the guitarwork on FS (or at least not much of it) fits the band either, no matter if it is Eric or Lyle or anyone else. Not only do I think Flans is sufficient for guitar-work for the band, I think his work has more personality & style than anyone else playing on FS does. Flans isn't the greatest guitar player in the world, but his interesting guitar sounds makes up a lot of the tmbg-personality. The Rochester Xmas show was missing Eric, so flans had to take over...the guitar sounded so much more interesting & fun...I'm a all-Flans supporter all the way, I don't care if tmbg are delusionary & decide they want another guitarist... They'll figure it out eventually :) Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" Visit the official HomePage at: ----> http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:30:25 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Re:Racist bullshit - farewell losers Message-ID: On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Aarti wrote: > > Can we stop with this please? Lets not have any more > apologies/discussions on htis subject. Does anybody else agree? > Sorry Aarti, but I just have to point out that you posted your opinion on the subject, saying that people should stop posting their opinions on the subject and then asked everyone to post their opinions on the subject. Please don't be offended, but the irony meter flew off the scale and I'm just posting my opinion like you asked. Take it easy, Wubba * ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| * ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: TMBG at Circuit City Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:41:35 -0500 Message-Id: <199702021842.3360000@rma.edu> So there I was...having FINALLY discovered Mono Puff at circuit city I was determined to return the following day and (I was short of money the first time) buy it at long last! So I walk into Circuit City as a melodic melody (how redundant) floats across the air to my alert ear drums as I notice that the song is Twisting. AH HA! I said (outloud) Who's playing TMBG?! The deskworker said "Thats me! My co-workers hate it!" Thats cuz they suck I said. Then I noticed that this girl was rather cute! WHOOOHOOO!! So I told her I was buying Mono Puff. She was rightly impressed. I must go hang out at Circuit City more often... --Cpdog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: WOOHOOO! DAS! Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:46:13 -0500 Message-Id: <199702021847.3360500@rma.edu> Holy Cow! They actually DID update the DAS RIGHT on time! The new song is "Tornadoes take over the world" --Cpdog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:06:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202140654_648279003@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: dreams, etc. >I'd also like to say that I'm feeling rather left out at never >having adream about Them - any tips on how to have one? Hee hee, well, I elaborated on Jordan's tip of how to have a lucid dream - thinking over and over "I will have a lucid dream.." from dinner till bed - into "I will have a Kids in the Hall dream" And I did in fact have a KITHy dream. You could try it! I have to try TMBG now.. :) >Anyone collecting these fake quotes? Anyway, I think all this >may be a result of people reading about things Flans really >has said (Maybe that Ice-filled cup incident?) Lol... I was even *THERE* for the cup-incident, and I don't have these wacked dreams... ;) Although my attitude towards Flans didn't change *much* since then, I have had an even warmer feeling towards Linnell since then..I just watch that short '95 House of Blues interview, and Flans is smiling, and I feel a bit better. :) >. I really thought TMBG fans were more intelligent, sensitive, >and sophisticated than the average MTV geek, but evidently >not. Most of this gibberish is straight outta Beavis & >Butthead. Yes, Ebonics is stupid, yes, bad grammar is stupid - >(whether you're black or you're white), but idiots who think >the funniest thing they've ever heard is translating TMBG >songs into Amos & Andy racist caricatures are EVEN >STUPIDER. Laugh it up, assholes! Good god! I don't recall anyone saying "Man, this is the funniest thing I've ever read!" ...It's not a racist joke.. I actually don't even find it a joke, really. I find it as interesting in a way. Just like translating it into french. Remember translating SEXXY? Okay, I don't recall anyone saying "You stupid racist assholes..I'm leaving.. SEXXY was meant to be sung in english!" See? But to leave just because of that? Now *that* is pretty stupid.. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "I have a secret that just won't keep, all I wanna do is brush your teeth." - Jim Creeggan (Barenaked Ladies) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:16:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202141634_581996512@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Newsday For NYCers and LIers: There is an Article in today's Newsday (Sunday, 2/2) about Them. It is in the FANFARE section about page 24. It is all about how they are misunderstood and how Their music is unlike the music the world is accustomed to. It is really cool For non-subscribers try www.newsday.com in the fanfare section. It might be there. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:20:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202141926_1693710820@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Newsday URL For those non-subscribers, try http://www.newsday.com/mainnews/rnmi062t.htm It might only be available today (sunday, 2/2) Joel (my birthday's tomorrow) <---subtle hint http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 00:16:56 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F44D78.62A2@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: WOOHOOO! DAS! Tim Clark wrote: > > Holy Cow! They actually DID update the DAS RIGHT on time! The new song is > "Tornadoes take over the world" > > --Cpdog > Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the > Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring Hmm... I'm sitting arround my computer reading mail and suddenly see a post from Tim Clark saying: > > Holy Cow! They actually DID update the DAS RIGHT on time! The new song is > "Tornadoes take over the world" > > --Cpdog > Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the > Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring So, I run to the phone, quicker than an elephant, and dial 718-387-6962 I wait paiently until the opperator's pre-recorded voice tells me that no one is answering and to kindly fuck off. :( Speaking of When Tornandoes Take Over the World, I recently sent the chords of that song to leo. If anyone else succeeds in calling DAS, PLEASE let me know. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:49:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202144759_175346777@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Newsday, DAS Hello 41- The article in Newsday is pretty cool. The address is http://www.newsday.com/mainnews/rnmi062t.htm I too like Jeremy thought that the phone DAS was back working again, but I'll settle for the online one too. Adam ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 14:51:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202144811_-1911617266@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: WOOHOOO! DAS! even tmbg.com updated the page! it's amazing. I personally don't like "Tornadoes..." That is just my opinion. They should keep an archive up at tmbg.com. I just went yesterday to get Edison. If I waited another day, I would have missed it. Joel (tomorrow's my birthday) <--subtle hint http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702022020.MAA24766@dfw-ix5.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: Edison Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:18:46 -0800 I didn't even know that DAS online existed! Did anyone save Edison onto their hard drive that would be willing to upload it to me? I would be greatly appreciative. .......Charles Box ...babble@ix.netcom.com ....'life is just a mood ring .......that we're not allowed to see..' ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 01:12:58 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F45A9A.12EA@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza Shows Hey All, Check out info on the Irving Plaza shows at: http://www.irvingplaza.com/artists/tmbg/index.html I hope to get to the Valantines Day New Song Massacre. Will people going let me know. It's kind of disapointing that i won't get to meet some listers who are going to 21st instead. I plan to tape the show. Is anyone else taping it? Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702022036.AA01366@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: my god, these posts are dream inducing! Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 15:36:29 -0500 (EST) I can't believe it, only days after these TMBG dream postings have begun, I had my first ever TMBG-based dream. The first dream involved TMBG coming to Baltimore to play live. (actually, I think the two dreams I had are linked sorta but I don't know how). Well, it turns out that they were doing a concert in my house, but strangely enough only myself and my mom knew about it. Linnell came in, accordian straped to himself and proceeded to sit down at my kitchen table on the chair nearest to the 'frig. He also brought this little color TV. He started to play a song, I can't remember which but then he moved onto (what I think was) Hotel Detective (the original). The reason Ithink it was this was because Flansburgh was on the TV screen as a cartoon character. I had wondered why Flans was not there with Linnell. Well, I shortly after woke up. Then I fell back asleep and I was at my house at night in my second dream. I had heard that there was going to be a concert (again) at my elementary school. So I strapped on my rollerblades (I dn't know why, I live less than 5 minutes walk from my elementary school). So I get to the corner of the school campus near the street riding down on my rollerblades and I see a throng of people sitting on a bleacher (that does not exist). So I blade on down the hill and climb up on the bleachers. Now, I'm sitting here watching this empty field with a bunch of other people wondernig what the heck is going on. All of a sudden some lights come on across the field and it's TMBG in marching band procession coming towards the baseball field in front of the bleachers (again no baseball field is there in reality) and they get ready to play a concert, right there. I then woke up again and that was it. -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 01:20:59 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F45C7B.14F2@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Edison Charles Box wrote: > > I didn't even know that DAS online existed! Did anyone save Edison onto > their hard drive that would be willing to upload it to me? I would be > greatly appreciative. > > .......Charles Box > ...babble@ix.netcom.com > ....'life is just a mood ring > .......that we're not allowed to see..' Can I get one to? :) Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:07:55 -0700 From: carrots@primenet.com (Aaron Cohen) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Edison You can still get "The Edison Museum" at http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/edison.wav Aaron http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6791 >Charles Box wrote: >> >> I didn't even know that DAS online existed! Did anyone save Edison onto >> their hard drive that would be willing to upload it to me? I would be >> greatly appreciative. >> >> .......Charles Box >> ...babble@ix.netcom.com >> ....'life is just a mood ring >> .......that we're not allowed to see..' > >Can I get one to? :) > >Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 16:13:41 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Edison Message-ID: If anyone can send it to me, I can put it up on my bootleg page for a short time. I still have plenty of space. --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbgboot.home.ml.org The Blue Meanie's Lair http://bluemeanie.home.ml.org On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, J Mathews wrote: > Charles Box wrote: > > > > I didn't even know that DAS online existed! Did anyone save Edison onto > > their hard drive that would be willing to upload it to me? I would be > > greatly appreciative. > > > > .......Charles Box > > ...babble@ix.netcom.com > > ....'life is just a mood ring > > .......that we're not allowed to see..' > > Can I get one to? :) > > Jeremy Mathews > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 16:23:31 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows! Message-id: <01IEY37W091UCCI3ZA@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! How are ya! I've *finally* returned to school (and email!) after a ridiculously long winter break, and I can't even begin to say how much I missed everyone! =) I am *anxiously* awaiting the upcoming Irving Plaza shows (I'm planning on going the 14th and the 21st!)...however, I haven't gotten my tickets yet - does anyone know if there are still tix available? And if so, how can I get them? Also, who else is planning on going to these shows, I'd love to meet up with ya! =) Also, I'm sure that a bunch of you already know this, but I heard that TMBG will be on Vince Scelsa's Idiot's Delight Radio show *tonight*!!! That's WNEW NY FM Radio, 102.7, between 8pm and 2am. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to miss it (bummer!), but those of you who *do* catch it will have to give us a full report! =) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:00:35 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970202170333.1d47ba42@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Edison Hi there... >I didn't even know that DAS online existed! Did anyone save Edison onto >their hard drive that would be willing to upload it to me? I would be >greatly appreciative. Don't get too excited about the Edison song that was on DAS online. It's not a complete version. The DAS online version fades out just when the bells start to play, but the real version continues past that. I have the complete song on tape (from Nitpick@aol.com), and other than the cut off ending of the DAS one, the two songs are identical, so I think you'd be better off finding the real Edison Museum song. Alex ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 18:04:48 -0500 Message-Id: <199702022305.3439200@rma.edu> ehhehe ALL you guys thought I was talking about the PHONE DAS?? OOPS! Sorry shoulda clarified :) I have NO idea if the phone ver. is updated/working/still in existence :) --Tim Clark Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Edison, DAS Online Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 18:15:31 -0500 Message-Id: <19970202181535.08bdab6e.in@rayst10.rayst.udel.edu> I'll be archiving all the DAS online songs on my (virtually) unlimited hard drive space. I'll post a URL sometime tonight. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:14:54 +1000 They're coming!!!!!!!!!!!! March 28 wooo hooo!! Perthsters, get funky and get down to the Planet for They're first Perth show (since I've been here anyway). Ahhhhh, that felt good. 10000ft Septic Though, knowing my luck, I'll probably be sent to site... ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:20:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202191600_-2078716939@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows! The Great Cortney << Hi TMBGer's! How are ya! I've *finally* returned to school (and email!) after a ridiculously long winter break, and I can't even begin to say how much I missed everyone! =) I am *anxiously* awaiting the upcoming Irving Plaza shows (I'm planning on going the 14th and the 21st!)...however, I haven't gotten my tickets yet - does anyone know if there are still tix available? And if so, how can I get them? Also, who else is planning on going to these shows, I'd love to meet up with ya! =) >> Tix to the 21st are still available. I'll be going to that one. You can get them through Ticketmaster. I'd love to see ya there and anyone else going. Welcome back Cortney. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:25:17 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: April 18th Message-ID: Pollstar lists an April 18th TMBG show @ Western MD College. =) On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Maria, Nick wrote: > They're coming!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > March 28 wooo hooo!! Perthsters, get funky and get down to the Planet > for They're first Perth show (since I've been here anyway). > > Ahhhhh, that felt good. > > 10000ft Septic > > Though, knowing my luck, I'll probably be sent to site... > <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> <>"Everything's nearer, <> <>Everything's clearer, <> <>Everything's so divine. <> <>I don't care what momma sez- <> <>Prince Nez I'm gonna make you mine" <> <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F53CFD.94D@trib.infi.net> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 20:18:53 -0500 From: "Most Likely, A Member of the Ondrey Clan" Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too The Much Heralded TMBG Cover Compilation Tape has a name, We Might Be Giants, Too suggested by Christy McCullogh, and voted by YOU, the public. I also found out that CD's for this are gonna run upwards of $45 bucks, if you think that is insane, you're not alone, if you or someone you know has access to a CD Recorder then contact Jeremy, he's the CD guy at jeremym@boutell.com I think that's about it, this project I think has been well recieved, with nearly 500 hits on the web site, and all the e-mail I've got, I've gotten some real promising submissions, so I am very enthused :) Keep visiting the site, as it is updated many times a week, at http://members.tripod.com/~tmbg_compilation/ Thanks alot guys!!!!! ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Click-a-Song Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 20:46:54 -0500 Message-Id: <19970202204700.09484f5d.in@rayst10.rayst.udel.edu> http://www.udel.edu/spike/cas/ it'll have whatever was on Dial-a-Song Online and eventually other rarities as well... -= Harlan Landes - spike@udel.edu =- -= http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ =- -================================- Next Stop: Irving Plaza, Feb. 21 ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199702030202.VAA22813@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Archiving Dial-A-Song Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 21:02:05 -0500 (EST) I wanted to remind people that archiving something like TMBG's Dial-A-Songs and making them available online is probably illegal. I don't think you could easily make a fair use claim, and they are most definatly copyrighted works. I have requested that They keep an archive on the official web site so no one needs to get in trouble over this. Keep in mind, it's not the Giants you have to worry about, it's the Corporate lawyers (Elektra) you need to worry about bumping into your site. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970202214743.006bd8f0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 21:47:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: DAS >So, I run to the phone, quicker than an elephant, and dial 718-387-6962 I >wait paiently until the opperator's pre-recorded voice tells me that no >one is answering and to kindly fuck off. :( Speaking of When Tornandoes >Take Over the World, I recently sent the chords of that song to leo. You're in the past, man. Live in the *now*!! Sorry, just watched Wayne's World. >Don't get too excited about the Edison song that was on DAS online. It's >not a complete version. The DAS online version fades out just when the >bells start to play, but the real version continues past that. I have the What a rip off! When I download free songs, I want the whole thing, dammit! -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 23:55:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970202235456_1794381442@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG radio show Message posting people-- Hello, I'm rather new on this ( a few weeks) and I've just been reading. Anyway, I have a radio show in the Lewiston area in Maine and in April or so I plan on doing a COMPLETE They retrospective. I'm not sure exactly how long this would take, but I've done fourteen hour shows so I'm sure it can be done. I plan on playing every song from every album, and as many b-sides as I can dig up, also new unreleased stuff from "Then". We also have Live in New York AND their live show with Frank Black CD at the radio show. What I'd like to know is if anyone knows where I could find a CD or tape of a good, in-depth interview with TMBG. I'd like to have on on-hand to play between songs. ,Nick p.s. the last show I saw was last March and I was wondering if anyone's heard "They Got Lost" lately. It was one of my favorite songs from the show but I haven't heard much about it since. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 00:33:56 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: whoa... In attempting to sequence Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, I have come across the problem of not being able to figure out the time signature, which presents the problem of not being able to determine the tempo in terms of beats/minute... In 4/4, each intro 'section' is two measures, and the song is 220bpm or one measure at 110bpm, but with strange divisions and rests. (actually in anything/4, it looks weird) In 6/8, each intro 'section' is one and a half measures at 110bpm, which is obviously no good, because what's the other half measure for? (although I suppose I could do 3/8 and make them 3 measures each...) And in 9/8, each intro 'section' is exactly one measure at 110bpm, which makes the most sense of any possibility, actually. And in x/8, everything is on a beat, and it looks more 'normal.' I think the song might actually be in 9/8, but the rhythm is so screwed up it could be anything... I can *play* it, but I can't figure out how to enter it into the computer... Any ideas? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-33 *****************************