Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-330 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 330 Thursday, 27 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Hearing loss update TMBG: a change for #TMBG TMBG: a change for #TMBG TMBG: Act Now, Don't Delay! TMBG: Re: sub pop Re: TMBG: No longer with Elektra TMBG: info club e-mail TMBG: Mystery quote contest! Re: TMBG: Re: sub pop TMBG: I'm back TMBG: Time for a new Mono Puff FAQ Re: TMBG: I'm back Re: TMBG: I'm back Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 02:26:41 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Hearing loss update Message-ID: Well, it's been approximately 72 hours since the last note of the Toronto show faded from hearing, and the subsequent hearing loss that I sustained has, by this time, trickled down to a quiet ringing mainly in my right ear. I've been deafened before during concerts, but it's still disorienting, and it's been quite a while since I've walked out of a TMBG show half-deaf. Now to clear up some recent queries: TMBG last headlined a Toronto show in early November 1994 at the Danforth Music Hall, with Frank Black and Frente on the bill as well. They returned to the city in October of 1996 to open for some band that shall remain nameless. They did play here in 1992, twice in fact, in April and August, at the late RPM Club. The April show was the last time they played Toronto as a 2 man band with the backing tapes, so clearly I feel lucky to have attended. Matt James was correct in asserting that Moxy Fruvous did open for TMBG at least once, though it is unlikely that it was a Toronto show, unless it predated the 1992 appearances which I highly doubt. Be sure to call MTV or Muchmusic and request the Wind May Do Damage video "The Lord's Bounty" which features Murray Foster from Moxy Fruvous. Then request the MF video "Stuck In The 90's" which features an appearance from Wind...frontwoman Kathryn Rose (now a solo artist, about to tour Canada). Then break into a small building in the middle of an African desert to find Sally Struthers hoarding all the snacky cakes and sweety pops and cheesy poofs. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands Of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:54:12 -0500 (EST) From: Gizmo the gremlin Subject: TMBG: a change for #TMBG Message-ID: I do not want to type it out again, but for anybody who comes to EFnet #TMBG please go to: http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/newtmbg.html Jish ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:55:56 -0500 (EST) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: a change for #TMBG Message-ID: sorry for the double post, didn't want the Gizmo the Gremlin name on the last one to confuse anybody ---------- I do not want to type it out again, but for anybody who comes to EFnet #TMBG please go to: http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/newtmbg.html Jish ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711261344.IAA29800@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Act Now, Don't Delay! Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:44:08 -0500 (EST) WASHINGTON, D.C.--The Institute for the Investigation of Irregular Internet Phenomena announced today that many Internet users are becoming infected by a new virus that causes them to believe without question every groundless story, legend, and dire warning that shows up in their inbox or on their browser. The Gullibility Virus, as it is called, apparently makes people believe and forward copies of silly hoaxes relating to cookie recipes, email viruses, taxes on modems, and get-rich-quick schemes [perhaps conspiracy theories should be included here]. "These are not just readers of tabloids or people who buy lottery tickets based on fortune cookie numbers," a spokesman said. "Most are otherwise normal people, who would laugh at the same stories if told to them by a stranger on a street corner." However, once these same people become infected with the Gullibility Virus, they believe anything they read on the Internet. "My immunity to tall tales and bizarre claims is all gone," reported one weeping victim. "I believe every warning message and sick child story my friends forward to me, even though most of the messages are anonymous." Another victim, now in remission, added, "When I first heard about Good Times, I just accepted it without question. After all, there were dozens of other recipients on the mail header, so I thought the virus must be true." It was a long time, the victim said, before she could stand up at a Hoaxes Anonymous meeting and state, "My name is Jane, and I've been hoaxed." Now, however, she is spreading the word. "Challenge and check whatever you read," she says. Internet users are urged to examine themselves for symptoms of the virus, which include the following: * the willingness to believe improbable stories without thinking * the urge to forward multiple copies of such stories to others * a lack of desire to take three minutes to check to see if a story is true T. C. is an example of someone recently infected. He told one reporter, "I read on the Net that the major ingredient in almost all shampoos makes your hair fall out, so I've stopped using shampoo." When told about the Gullibility Virus, T. C. said he would stop reading email, so that he would not become infected. Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to seek help immediately. Experts recommend that at the first feelings of gullibility, Internet users rush to their favorite search engine and look up the item tempting them to thoughtless credence. Most hoaxes, legends, and tall tales have been widely discussed and exposed by the Internet community. Courses in critical thinking are also widely available, and there is online help from many sources, including * Department of Energy Computer Incident Advisory Capability at * Symantec Anti Virus Research Center at * McAfee Associates Virus Hoax List at * Dr. Solomons Hoax Page at * The Urban Legends Web Site at * Urban Legends Reference Pages at * Datafellows Hoax Warnings at Those people who are still symptom free can help inoculate themselves against the Gullibility Virus by reading some good material on evaluating sources, such as * Evaluating Internet Research Sources at * Evaluation of Information Sources at * Bibliography on Evaluating Internet Resources at Lastly, as a public service, Internet users can help stamp out the Gullibility Virus by sending copies of this message to anyone who forwards them a hoax. ******************************************************************* This message is so important, we're sending it anonymously! Forward it to all your friends right away! Don't think about it! This is not a chain letter! This story is true! Don't check it out! This story is so timely, there is no date on it! This story is so important, we're using lots of exclamation points! For every message you forward to some unsuspecting person, the Home for the Hopelessly Gullible will donate ten cents to itself. (If you wonder how the Home will know you are forwarding these messages all over creation, you're obviously thinking too much.) ******************************************************************* ACT NOW! DON'T DELAY! LIMITED TIME! NOT SOLD IN ANY STORE! ******************************************* -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:33:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971126103316_-1038020812@mrin58.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: sub pop In a message dated 11/26/97 3:56:56 AM, you wrote: > >"TMBG plays Sonic Youth" would certainly be worth of releasing. Or >vice versa. > LOL! TMBG could pull off "Bull in the Heather" easy. "Candle" would be neat..:) >Heh.. "I Can Hear You" played by Sonic Youth could be - hmmm - >ironic, don't you think? I mean, back in those chaotic guitar >noise E.V.O.L days, Sonic Youth singing "I can just barely hear >you..." or "You won't hear the buzz, but I'm buzzing you in..." >with their buzzing fuzz-guitars and all... Argh... > Hee hee... :) I think they could do SEXXY or Absolutely Bill's Mood. Actually they can cover anything. Their "Get into the Groove" is the best . >Hmmm... BTW, was Sonic Youth on Sub Pop at all? I don't...think..soo... Hmm.. I know they were on SST 'cause I have their '81 release.. Seems weird to say they weren't, but... not that I know of. :) sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 11:20:07 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: No longer with Elektra Message-id: On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: > That would be highly excellent if they joined on with Bottom Line > records. Then TMBG could tour with Moxy Fruvous and have the greatest > shows ever! wooo (actually they did play together in Toronto, no?) I'd really like to see TMBG sign with Bottom Line -- they're a good fit for TMBG and I can tell you first hand that they are a great group of people who are genuinely enthusiastic about their bands. The fact that a huge company (Elektra) virtually ignored them towards the end got them nowhere. I think that a small company (such as BLR) who really pushed for them would do a lot of good. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Everything I need to know, I learned from IRC: 1. The entire world is from Rochester and Bowling Green. 2. "licks" is spelled with asterisks and capitals. 3. Hail Murray, full of bass." - Sirilyan, #MoxyFruvous ------------------------------ Message-ID: <347C592B.AD6@rica.net> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:15:23 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: info club e-mail Could someone please e-mail me the info. club e-mail address, Operater Bob's address or whoever on the business end? Thanks in advance. Joey, read the Bantam book "I Named Peter Jenning's Coasters and Didn't Copyright It, Now Mike Leffel's Security Guys Won't Let Me Near Him," watch the CBS t.v. movie of the week, staring Judge Reinhhold and Brian Denehey. Welcome home. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:32:58 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Mystery quote contest! Message-ID: "This is a s ong about being really sick, but you think you're not." -JohnL If you think you know what song John Linnell is talking about, go to my page and enter my contest. I will pick a random correct entry in a month and the winner will recieve a bootleg of their choice! See my contest page for complete rules and to enter. Click the Exquiste Dead Guy head to get to the contest page. :) -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:15:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971126171529_819263360@mrin58.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: sub pop In a message dated 97-11-26 14:10:54 EST, you write: << >Hmmm... BTW, was Sonic Youth on Sub Pop at all? I don't...think..soo... Hmm.. I know they were on SST 'cause I have their '81 release.. Seems weird to say they weren't, but... not that I know of. :) >> I know they released a single on Sub Pop a few years back, but that's about it. Graham ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 21:31:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971126213120_2006221298@mrin58.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I'm back Hello... I have been having some serious mail problems with the Satan-owned and operated online service known as AOL (did you know that 1 in every 26 americans now has AOL? We live in a frightening world). Specifically, I haven't been getting the list for the past week and a half. For some reason, they all showed up in one lump today, and I have been reading some alarming things, all of which I feel the need to respond to... 1) The Electra-TMBG break-up. Well, this is welcome and not altogether unforseen news. Regardless of the contentness the Johns conveyed about their label (and, admit it, YOU thought some of that was phony baloney, too), Electra was obviously becoming more and more disenchanted with TMBG as the years rolled by and They never produced another Istanbul. The result: less and less promotion, which is ironic, since this could obviously only hinder the success of the band. Well, good riddance. TMBG and Electra have, in my mind, been working at cross-purposes since the beginning. TMBG wants to make good music; it's obvious Electra wants them to make BIG music. I think it is almost certain that the Johns will find another label very shortly. They have been very emphatic about the fact that they want to keep playing together for as long as possible, especially Flans, so I find it unlikely that this is the end of the TMBG road. To sum up: relax. All will be good. TMBG will find a new, shinier, happier label and continue playing right through the 2040 tour. 2) No Candy Butchers album. Aw, poop. :P 3) OMLT delay. I know you are all wondering why your checks have not been deposited. The answer: my bank is dumb and I am too cowed to fight them alone. You all have permission to string me up by various painful body parts and to poke and annoy me for a good 15 minutes. However, the full brunt of your rage should really be directed toward my bank, which insists on changing its hours, policies, and very existence from minute to minute. My mother has agreed to come with me this Friday to kick some sense into the assholes so they let me deposit your OMLT checks. Until then, cross your fingers and hope. Further bulitins as events warrant. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 23:17:00 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19971126231412.227f5e96@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Time for a new Mono Puff FAQ Hi there As you may or may not know, I'm the guy who runs the As-Official-As-It-Gets Mono Puff webpage, and for the past month or so, it's been pretty stagnant. This is because Mono Puff hasn't been doing much seeing as how they don't have a label to release their new album on, and since TMBG have been touring non-stop, Flans hasn't had much time to look for one. So, I've decided to take this opportunity to re-vamp the Mono Puff FAQ, considering it hasn't been updated for at least a year! What I need from each and every one of you are some questions about the band...no matter how obscure. The way I see it, you can't have answers to frequently asked questions if you don't have any frequently asked questions to answer...am I right? So if you have any questions about Mono Puff, send them to me and I'll see what kind of answers I can come up with. Don't delay...send now! Alex ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 00:21:47 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm back Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Nov-97 TMBG: I'm back by Christi587@aol.com > wants them to make BIG music. I think it is almost certain that the Johns > will find another label very shortly. They have been very emphatic about the > fact that they want to keep playing together for as long as possible, don't count on it. they're old, and they're not tremendously popular (yes, they're poular among us, and among their following, but they're not really picking up many new fans...) - what's in it for a record label to sign a group that isn't producing even gold records (and is unlikely to) and is pushing age 40 - if I were a record company exec, I'd assume they had *maybe* 3 more years... which, in TMBG terms, isn't enough for even two albums. and who wants a band that's on its way out? and besides, what's 3 years out of a band that's selling 200-400k copies of a record, anyway? to a big label, pocket change... plus, big labels hate nonconformist bands... they want stuff that'll sell, not stuff that the band likes. TMBG, fortunately, are in it more for the music than for the money, so I doubt they'd sink to such a level as that... I'm sure they'll keep playing and keep touring. whether or not they'd be able to make records is in question. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 01:33:05 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm back Message-Id: This seems a little pessimistic, Lawrence. After all people with virtually no money and little or no experience in the music industry have managed to start their own label and release their own stuff. If TMBG couldn't get another major label deal I'm sure any of even the big indie labels would be happy to have them. 200-400k copies of an album means a lot to any indie label, many don't sell that many albums from all their bands combined. Anyway, I want everybody out there to have a good Thanksgiving. If you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, then just have a good day. Take it easy, Wubba On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > don't count on it. they're old, and they're not tremendously popular > (yes, they're poular among us, and among their following, but they're > not really picking up many new fans...) - what's in it for a record > label to sign a group that isn't producing even gold records (and is > unlikely to) and is pushing age 40 - if I were a record company exec, > I'd assume they had *maybe* 3 more years... which, in TMBG terms, isn't > enough for even two albums. and who wants a band that's on its way out? > and besides, what's 3 years out of a band that's selling 200-400k > copies of a record, anyway? to a big label, pocket change... plus, big > labels hate nonconformist bands... they want stuff that'll sell, not > stuff that the band likes. TMBG, fortunately, are in it more for the > music than for the money, so I doubt they'd sink to such a level as > that... > > I'm sure they'll keep playing and keep touring. whether or not they'd > be able to make records is in question. > --- Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-330 ******************************