Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-331 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 331 Friday, 28 November 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: radio station coincidences TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Re: TMBG: I'm back Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... NanoTMBG: A Desparate Plea... A Discouraged Flea... MCFLY!!!!!! TMBG: band on the way out? NON-TMBG: A clockwork orange | TMBG: They doing covers... TMBG: Thanks to all for the help! TMBG: Your Name In Lights TMBG: TMBG catalogs TMBG: Re: TMBG catalogs Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG catalogs Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Semi-TMBG: powerhouse Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 02:00:26 -0600 Subject: TMBG: radio station coincidences Message-ID: <19971127.022048.15494.1.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:08:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-RealAudInt Message-ID: <19971121.140852.4006.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) wow! this station is awesome! i was just going through mail and trying out some web addresses, so i went to this one. first they played bnl brian wilson and then they just finished playing lincoln blow. it was just such weird timing! thanks for the info. on the station. Jessie p.s. wow, they just said they were going to play the beautiful south. i have never heard of a station playinng them! sorry, this is just so weird i'm excited. ------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:08:52 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-RealAudInt Message-ID: <19971121.140852.4006.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) Just to let everyone know, I checked out WBER, the radio station that someone so graciously posted on this list yesterday, and the TMBG live interview has been changed to 5 p.m. EST. This station rocks!!! They played I Palindrome I and also a song by Lincoln which I really,really liked. I'm definitely getting their CD now... Anyway, you MUST check this out today, and you MUST have ReadAudio to listen to it! The station is at http://wber.monroe.edu ^v^ Jeff "south carolina radio stations suck, i'm movin to new york" Parker ^v^ ooops, forgot to add that south carolina sucks in general, except for the moonshine ---------------------- *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~uin: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711271544.JAA02731@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:29:00 -0600 There once was a band called THEY their fans listened to them all day their contract was ended a new label they befriended and everything turned out Okay. OR Two Johns from New York were once Giants ISTANBUL caused many a riot their sales fell life went to hell now both of them are on a diet. nononono... ISTANBUL was a sales explosion They Might Be Giants caused a commotion but without a sequel there was no financial equal "so let's dump em" was the general emotion. Happy Kill The Fat Ass Bird Day, You Drunken Descendants Of Drunken Ancestors! Mike "Holiday Bliss" Leffel ------------------------------ From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm back Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:54:12 -0500 Message-ID: <01bcfb4c$b52f6640$0cc7f6ce@p60.visi.net> >This seems a little pessimistic, Lawrence. After all people with >virtually no money and little or no experience in the music industry have >managed to start their own label and release their own stuff. If TMBG >couldn't get another major label deal I'm sure any of even the big indie >labels would be happy to have them. 200-400k copies of an album means a >lot to any indie label, many don't sell that many albums from all their >bands combined. I concur. A smaller label would pick them up rather quickly, maybe somebody like American Recordings. If that route doesn't play out, I wouldn't be suprised to see a revival of the Hello label, with featured artists They Might Be Giants, Mono Puff, and possibly Frank Black. Obviously, they still have talent and song-writing ability (Doctor Worm!!), so I don't see their demise any time soon. Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "If god had wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs?"--Marvin Kitman [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/x-vcard)] ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:04:19 -0500 Message-Id: <16032706201083@dancingink.com> ...........and the crowd goes wild!........... me too, me too, me too, me too! TMBG is their name Frustrating Electra's their game They half-heartedly promote Expecting Them to float And wonder why They haven't climbed to fame AugieWan "the mad-Jedi wannabe" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711271656.KAA03805@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: NanoTMBG: A Desparate Plea... A Discouraged Flea... MCFLY!!!!!! Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:40:35 -0600 Does anybody have or know of where a downloadable MP3 of the Silicon Teen's song RED RIVER ROCK can be found? It's a prominent instrumental in the Thanksgiving movie Planes Trains and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin. Since it's 80's synth-pop, I figured someone would know... I've been searching for weeks and nothing. Thanks! Mike "Call me Del" Leffel Oh.. I've recieved a promotional poster from Nintendo Power (haven't had a subscription to THAT since SMB4..) but no new TMBG catalog... (sob)... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971127102538.006e26d8@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:27:03 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: band on the way out? >don't count on it. they're old, and they're not tremendously popular >(yes, they're poular among us, and among their following, but they're >not really picking up many new fans...) I dunno about this, Lawrence. Of the two TMBG shows I've been to, the first was probably sold out and the second certainly was. Granted, the second venue was fairly small, but the first was large. Recent posts to the list and ng indicate that TMBG shows are selling out fairly regularly. > - what's in it for a record >label to sign a group that isn't producing even gold records (and is >unlikely to) _Flood_ went gold in '95. Jamie Kitman's article in the June '97 Automobile Magazine implied that there are two gold TMBG albums, one of which is approaching platinum. > and is pushing age 40 - if I were a record company exec, >I'd assume they had *maybe* 3 more years... I dunno. Yes, 40 is old for the music biz. But there are older rock groups around--I just read an article in my school paper about a ska band that played Sacramento last week, and the members were all balding. > plus, big >labels hate nonconformist bands... they want stuff that'll sell, not >stuff that the band likes. How true. :( --nicole the wonder nerd *** "There's three new roses in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971127184220.00666f2c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:42:20 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: NON-TMBG: A clockwork orange | TMBG: They doing covers... I just watched a Clockwork Orange the other day... Boy thats a good movie... You should all go rent a copy! (And read the book) Well watching it made me think of a song I would love to see They cover... "I wanna Marry A Lighthouse Keeper" from the Clockwork Soundtrack... I would love to hear Linnel & Flansie sing this tune I so love... So this brings me to a Question, WHAT songs would you like to see They do a cover of? The Lil' Depressed Boy(TM), S. ">Insert something about Leffel Here<" Struble. ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Thanks to all for the help! Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:27:05 -0500 Message-Id: <20260810901173@dancingink.com> Someone asked......... >> has anyone in the west gotten the magical mystical catalog from the >> info club? Then AugieWan replied........ >NO! and I'm not even that far west of NY. I'm in Michigan. Still waiting >patiently for that catalog so I can order Linnell's cd's. >AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! >Could someone just send me the numbers from the catalog so I can >order them??? Pleeeaase! The response was, I'll be kind, less then stellar. :( Well, I got my catalog today(a week or so later) and I have to admit, if someone wanted those item numbers from me, I would probably have passed at the chore of sending an E-mail response as 'long' as "Hi, the item numbers for the Linnell CD's are "A" and "b", later" Numbers that long can be so annoying to copy down. I understand. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199711272051.PAA26411@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Your Name In Lights Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:51:05 -0500 (EST) Your faithful staff at www.tmbg.org has been working on a lot of changes and updates to the web site lately that should be appearing in a couple of weeks. I think you'll find we'll be offering a lot of the things you have asked for in the past months, and delivering it all with a great new look. What I would like to do is give everyone out on the net a chance to get their ideas into the site. In particular, we're looking for help in the following areas: - Content There are some areas on the site that are week in content. One of my personal pet peeves that I will probably never be happy with is the "who are they may be giants" page. I think we can do a much better job of explaining to non-they people who this site is all about. Note, the lyrics/chords/interps are separate, and we've got a lot more material for those we are trying to get up. When I speak of lack of content I mean in the rest of the site. :-) If you'd like to tackle one of these areas please give it a go. You can e-mail plain text to web@tmbg.org, we'll format it as need be for the new site. If you're not sure if we'll need what you write, e-mail first. - Graphics The new site is going to be slightly more graphical and visually appealing then the current site. We do need some custom graphics to pull it all together though. If you are an artist and could put together a few buttons and graphics and such please let us know and we'll talk with you about what we need. - New Ideas A new web site needs new ideas. Is there something we don't have at all that you would like to see? Is there a little TMBG "cool thing" somewhere else on the net you go vist that we should try and incorporate and make cool? Let us know, we're always reachable at web@tmbg.org. Thanks for your support. - Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711272105.AA05253@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG catalogs Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 16:05:17 -0500 (EST) > info club? > > Then AugieWan replied........ > > >NO! and I'm not even that far west of NY. I'm in Michigan. Still waiting > >patiently for that catalog so I can order Linnell's cd's. For some reason I got send 2 TMBG catalogs. Apparently they had been at my parent's house and not sent to my apartment, thus the delay. The good thing is, I'm letting them hold onto one so that they may order items from it for me for Christmas! hehehe I'm so devious ;) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Shaft137@aol.com Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 18:11:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971127181136_1272701798@mrin86.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG catalogs mmm...tryptophane. anyway, about the catalogs. i live in Jersey (feel free to make fun). my friend, drew, got his three weeks ago. i'm still waiting for mine. drew only lives two towns away. it really bugs me. so, to those of you that haven't gotten one yet, there are others who are in the same boat. now go eat more pie. -adam schaaf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971127233701.0066ab4c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:37:01 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG catalogs >mmm...tryptophane. anyway, about the catalogs. Mmmm, in deed. >i live in Jersey (feel free to make fun). my friend, drew, got his three Hey I like Jersey Myself... (Tho I don't live there) >weeks ago. >i'm still waiting for mine. drew only lives two towns away. it really bugs >me. >so, to those of you that haven't gotten one yet, there are others who are in >the same boat. Well I'll reiterate I got my catalog. Now I have a Q, does anyone know if this means they discontinued their other items for sale? The Lil' Depressed "if only Mike Leffel could see me now" Boy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <347E1FF7.3DFB@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:35:51 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... AugieWan wrote: > > ...........and the crowd goes wild!........... > > me too, me too, me too, me too! > > TMBG is their name > Frustrating Electra's their game > They half-heartedly promote > Expecting Them to float > And wonder why They haven't climbed to fame Aha! TMBG made a bunch of songs Elektra said so many was wrong They published FS and it turned out a mess and the album turned out not-too-long. And by the way... those are limericks, not haikus Haikus would go: They Might Be Giants Elektra put nothing in They saw no sell-outs -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711280303.VAA11830@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Haiku to Nightmares... Whisper Low... Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:48:18 -0600 > > And by the way... those are limericks, not haikus > Yes Yes Yes I know. But SEEEEEEE the phrase Limericks to Nightmares wasn't HIP! Actual Haikus rarely make me want to eat potatoes. > Haikus would go: > > They Might Be Giants > Elektra put nothing in > They saw no sell-outs > THEY will need a crane. THEY are not an easy listening nazi rock band. THEY hear the sound. GIANTS! .. Might Be! (snapping of prepostorous fingertips ensues) Mike "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas mate with our faces on sunday" Leffel -DAMN THOSE FAT HORNY PANDAS! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711280348.AA05408@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Semi-TMBG: powerhouse Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 22:48:03 -0500 (EST) Hey all, I was listening to Fresh Aire on NPR and they had John Byron and his band on promoting his jazz album, Bug Music, and they were talking about various music writers and one was Raymond Scott. Well the band proceeded to play Powerhouse which is featured in our beloved Rhythm Section Want Ad, so now I have heard the whole song, pretty cool! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-331 ******************************