Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-333 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 333 Sunday, 30 November 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-331 TMBG: 3 aging covers...and a panda in a pear tree TMBG: 3 aging covers...and a panda in a pear tree TMBG: Sadly the cross-eyed OMLT TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! TMBG: Re: Virgin TMBG: Re: Virgin Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! TMBG: SoundTrax | xarTdnuoS :GBMT TMBG: $28.49? Re: TMBG: $28.49? Fw: TMBG: $28.49? TMBG: ano katagata wa ooki_ na TMBG: Re: Virgin Fw: TMBG: $28.49? TMBG: new label.....yadda,yadda,yadda....... Fw: TMBG: new label.....yadda,yadda,yadda....... TMBG: All sing with Brak.......... TMBG: Brak Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 02:54:14 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971129025413_701479676@mrin79> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-331 In a message dated 97-11-29 01:57:35 EST, you write: << > In "Hideaway Folk Family" there's a line that reads "And sadly the cross eyed > bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs", and I heard part of it slightly > different. It sounded a lot like "And the sad little cross I bear's been put > to sleep behind the stairs". Maybe my noodle is playing tricks on me, but > it's a strange hard pronunciation of the the D in "and" that makes the "the" > sound, and the rest of it just flows together. Anybody who has this recorded > somewhere; listen to it and tell me if I'm nuts. I think we're both nuts, because I've *always* heard "the sad little cross-eyed bear." Even though I know it's "sadly," I've never been able to hear it that way. >> Well, it's definitely sadly, because it's a play on the line from a religious song (or maybe a prayer) that goes, "Sadly the cross I bear..." or something. Flans does have a tendency to sing many of his lines in such a way that they can sound equally like two different things. For example, the first line of "The World's Address" still sounds like "How are you this evening?" even though I know it's "I know you decieved me." I don't know how he manages to make "I" sound like "How" but he does! Maybe I'm just nuts, tho... Kay ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:12:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971129121252_-893114090@mrin41.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: 3 aging covers...and a panda in a pear tree In a message dated 11/28/97 2:04:47 AM, you wrote: > >I dunno. Yes, 40 is old for the music biz. But there are older rock >groups around--I just read an article in my school paper about a ska band >that played Sacramento last week, and the members were all balding. hey Sonic Youth's pushin' 50 (well the band members, not the band ).. everyone ages, or so I hear... > So this brings me to a Question, WHAT songs would you like to see >They do a cover of? I still say the Doors' "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" :) >Mike "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas >mate with our faces on sunday" Leffel >-DAMN THOSE FAT HORNY PANDAS! "Die they must die, the pandas must die!" - corky & the juice pigs:) >hehee, i got sent 3, count them three (it's the magic number!) catalogs! >woohoo! =) I got sent 2 (what is up with that?! ) and got my 3rd at the concert. Ah the magic number! ;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "We like you guys, especially you fine fine foxy guys, but this song is for the women." - J. Flansburgh, 11.21.97 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:21:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971129122119_882375704@mrin79> Subject: TMBG: 3 aging covers...and a panda in a pear tree oh fudge. i think I sent this to the wrong address.. so you know, if you've read this already,...huh guess it worked anyways. --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: 3 aging covers...and a panda in a pear tree Date: 97-11-29 12:13:53 EST From: KdsInThHal To: tmbg-digest@ufp.org In a message dated 11/28/97 2:04:47 AM, you wrote: > >I dunno. Yes, 40 is old for the music biz. But there are older rock >groups around--I just read an article in my school paper about a ska band >that played Sacramento last week, and the members were all balding. hey Sonic Youth's pushin' 50 (well the band members, not the band ).. everyone ages, or so I hear... > So this brings me to a Question, WHAT songs would you like to see >They do a cover of? I still say the Doors' "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" :) >Mike "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas >mate with our faces on sunday" Leffel >-DAMN THOSE FAT HORNY PANDAS! "Die they must die, the pandas must die!" - corky & the juice pigs:) >hehee, i got sent 3, count them three (it's the magic number!) catalogs! >woohoo! =) I got sent 2 (what is up with that?! ) and got my 3rd at the concert. Ah the magic number! ;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "We like you guys, especially you fine fine foxy guys, but this song is for the women." - J. Flansburgh, 11.21.97 ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 15:31:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971129153101_2006538213@mrin41.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Sadly the cross-eyed OMLT In a message dated 11/29/97 7:27:15 AM, you wrote: >> In "Hideaway Folk Family" there's a line that reads "And sadly the cross eyed >> bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs", and I heard part of it slightly >> different. It sounded a lot like "And the sad little cross I bear's been put >> to sleep behind the stairs". Maybe my noodle is playing tricks on me, but >> it's a strange hard pronunciation of the the D in "and" that makes the "the" >> sound, and the rest of it just flows together. > >I think we're both nuts, because I've *always* heard "the sad little >cross-eyed bear." Even though I know it's "sadly," I've never been able >to hear it that way. I'm sure you all know this, but just to be redundant I will mention that (as my Catholic-school-educated father assures me) there is a hymn which includes the phrase "Gladly the cross I'd bear," which is always bastardized by squirmy little Catholic kids as "Gladly the cross-eyed bear." "Gladly" was probably changed to "Sadly" to reflect the morose mood of the verse. And it has been my experience that you almost always hear what you expect to hear in a song, so listen to it with the proper verse in mind and it will probably sound right. Congratulations, OMLT-lovers: your checks have finally been deposited and we can all dance in the streets for joy. I will contact Bob as soon as he gets back from his vacation (this man is *always* on vacation, have you noticed?) --Christy who is glad to see Thanksgiving come and go without ten thousand posts about trytophane ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711300150.TAA04433@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 19:35:14 -0600 I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but please point your browsers to http://www.std.org .. Mike "Arnie in the Sky" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971130022801.00676818@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:28:01 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! >I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but >please point your browsers to http://www.std.org .. Well I'll be a monky's Ninja. A band with a name that is the same as They's current tour? Those Freaking Thieves. First Band on the Internet my Apple. Just for fun I went to http://www.std.com and guess what? It has a link to STD.org on it! What's up with that? Hmmmm... >Mike "Arnie in the Sky" Leffel LD "What is Mike Leffel's Middle Name, Allen?" B ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971129212658.006a4724@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:26:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Actually, they've been on the Internet for a very long time...since early-to-mid '93, IIRC. -Adam At 08:28 PM 11/29/97 -0600, you wrote: > >Well I'll be a monky's Ninja. A band with a name that is the same as They's >current tour? Those Freaking Thieves. First Band on the Internet my Apple. >Just for fun I went to http://www.std.com and guess what? It has a link to >STD.org on it! What's up with that? > >Hmmmm... > >>Mike "Arnie in the Sky" Leffel >LD "What is Mike Leffel's Middle Name, Allen?" B > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971130024146.00669940@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:41:46 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! >Actually, they've been on the Internet for a very long time...since >early-to-mid '93, IIRC. That still doesn't matter, THEY ARE NOT the first band on the Internet. Their were a lot more than them back when what we called the World Wide Web was just a pipe dream. >-Adam >>>Mike "Arnie in the Sky" Leffel >>LD "What is Mike Leffel's Middle Name, Allen?" B LD "I'm gonna Leave everyone's Name Lines on here, 'Specially Leffels" B ------------------------------ From: "Ben Greenberg" Subject: TMBG: Re: Virgin Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:51:48 -0500 Message-ID: <01bcfd3a$e6f86420$5a7567cf@default> -----Original Message----- >Elektra is a sucky arse-faced bastard label anyway. They should pitch to >Virgin, the best big label out there. Best mass producer of obscure European >music out there, too. They're behind Pure Moods, an excellent disc. And >anybody who makes a company called Virgin isn't going to have a problem with >TMBG's non-conformist tendencies. Just for anyone out there who doesn't have an obnoxious teenybopper little sister, Virgin in the Spice Girl's label. -Ben ------------------------------ From: "Ben Greenberg" Subject: TMBG: Re: Virgin Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:51:48 -0500 Message-ID: <01bcfd3a$e6f86420$5a7567cf@default> -----Original Message----- >Elektra is a sucky arse-faced bastard label anyway. They should pitch to >Virgin, the best big label out there. Best mass producer of obscure European >music out there, too. They're behind Pure Moods, an excellent disc. And >anybody who makes a company called Virgin isn't going to have a problem with >TMBG's non-conformist tendencies. Just for anyone out there who doesn't have an obnoxious teenybopper little sister, Virgin in the Spice Girl's label. -Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971129220116.00697bd4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:01:16 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin I think three letters sum this up: XTC. I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but if XTC felt creatively stifled by Virgin, I think TMBG might encounter the same thing... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711300321.VAA05665@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:06:19 -0600 > > Just for anyone out there who doesn't have an obnoxious teenybopper little > sister, Virgin in the Spice Girl's label. > > -Ben Who wouldn't enjoy seeing a couple of busty Johns? Mayor Spice and Hello Spice... Oh, the list is elongated and immense. Mike "They've got enough age wrinkles for it" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711300317.VAA05624@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:02:06 -0600 > >Actually, they've been on the Internet for a very long time...since > >early-to-mid '93, IIRC. > > That still doesn't matter, THEY ARE NOT the first band on the Internet. > Their were a lot more than them back when what we called the World Wide Web > was just a pipe dream. Boy. If *THEY* recieved more than one TMBG catalog, I'll be forced to dress up like Bill Nye and beat someone to death with the Giant Honking Bludgeon of Science! > >-Adam > >>>Mike "Arnie in the Sky" Leffel > >>LD "What is Mike Leffel's Middle Name, Allen?" B > LD "I'm gonna Leave everyone's Name Lines on here, 'Specially Leffels" B Mike "These Mad Pianos are Mad!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971130035828.0068e050@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:58:28 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: SoundTrax | xarTdnuoS :GBMT Hey everyone was talking about They on soundtracks, well I cannot believe no one mentioned The Kids In The Hall Movie, Brain Candy. It has Spiraling Shape in it. L*D*B On a mission trying to find Mr. Mike A Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971130040916.0068dcac@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 22:09:16 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: $28.49? On CD now I see a special John Henry for $28.49, which includes special *LIVE* tracks. Do any of you own this one? Is it worth the $28.49? I'm figuring since I paid $4 for John Henry in the first place, I could just easily get rid of it and buy the $28 one if it is good. L + D + B (Not Mike Leffel) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971129231339.006a36b4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 23:13:39 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: $28.49? Naw, it's just 6 tracks off of the Live!! NYC promo CD. Not worth it... TTYL, -Adam At 10:09 PM 11/29/97 -0600, you wrote: >On CD now I see a special John Henry for $28.49, which includes special >*LIVE* tracks. Do any of you own this one? Is it worth the $28.49? I'm >figuring since I paid $4 for John Henry in the first place, I could just >easily get rid of it and buy the $28 one if it is good. > >L + D + B >(Not Mike Leffel) > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: $28.49? Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:44:09 -0500 Message-Id: <05491673402283@dancingink.com> > Naw, it's just 6 tracks off of the Live!! NYC promo CD. Not worth it... Now wait a minute, NOT WORTH IT??? I don't have the cd of Live In New York (can't get it any more), but the tracks I've been able to down-load are great. I've been looking for this version of JH for awhile. I know I'll be getting it! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971130060612.00679548@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:06:12 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: ano katagata wa ooki_ na Aw I've seen They Might Be Giants songs translated into a million different languages, but no one has translated the name They Might Be Giants into other languages (Now this is a really simple task). Here's My entry: ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. -or- Japanese for They, Giants May Be ^or^ something like that, I'm still trying to figure out sentance Structure. Sooo If I start reffering to Them as AKWONMSI you will at least have some semblance that I'm reffering to They (*or* Ano katagata) Namae wa LDB to iimasu. Oname wa? MUST... MENTION... LEFFEL... ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711300558.AA00757@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: Virgin Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 00:58:35 -0500 (EST) > -----Original Message----- > >Elektra is a sucky arse-faced bastard label anyway. They should pitch to > >Virgin, the best big label out there. Best mass producer of obscure > European > >music out there, too. They're behind Pure Moods, an excellent disc. And > >anybody who makes a company called Virgin isn't going to have a problem > with > >TMBG's non-conformist tendencies. > > > Just for anyone out there who doesn't have an obnoxious teenybopper little > sister, Virgin in the Spice Girl's label. Yeah, and they dissed XTC big time, too! Good thing they're not with Virgin anymore (I hear Virgin rail and airlines are somewhat sucky too). Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9711300606.AA00768@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Fw: TMBG: $28.49? Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:06:42 -0500 (EST) > > Naw, it's just 6 tracks off of the Live!! NYC promo CD. Not worth it... > > Now wait a minute, NOT WORTH IT??? I don't have the cd of Live In New York > (can't get it any more), but the tracks I've been able to down-load are > great. I've been looking for this version of JH for awhile. I know I'll be > getting it! It's an Australian import, that's the reason for the high price. I've seen it for as high as $34 so on a strictly price level it's not quite so bad. All it is is the John Henry album with 6 songs from Live in NY (far from the entire concert which is contained on the Live in NY CD). I find that the extra $24 you might spend might not be worth it, that's $4/song! There are a number of folks with excellent recordings of this concert on tape, or if you get really lucky you'll find the Live in NY CD. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: new label.....yadda,yadda,yadda....... Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:14:44 -0500 Message-Id: <06195184302302@dancingink.com> What about Mammoth? They seem to be doing a pretty good job promoting Squirrel Nut Zippers. That's not exactly a conformist band. (my second favorite, by the way) I think that would be about the best concert you could hope for: TMBG and SNZ!!! Yeah! ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: new label.....yadda,yadda,yadda....... Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:20:35 -0500 Message-Id: <06254123402305@dancingink.com> .......or Rhino......... Hey, why not? They just re-released the Cartoon Planet CD!!! Brak Rules!!!! ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: All sing with Brak.......... Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:23:12 -0500 Message-Id: <06282220302308@dancingink.com> What happened to the water, the water, the water? What happened to the water, the water so wet? Augie"Am I Neil Diamond, or what?"Wan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711300637.BAA125738@ns4-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 01:37:18 EST From: sbm4@lehigh.edu (Scott McNulty) Subject: TMBG: Brak NEVER TRUST A MONKEY!! OK so I got carried away by the whole cartoon planet thing (that CD is awesome by the way) but I actullay do have TMBG stuff to talk about.. OK so over the Thanksgivingday break (I still got o college, Lehigh University to be exact) I went home to the lovely town of Yonkers, NY. Now for those of you who don't know Yonkers is right next to New York, New York, the city so nice they named it twice. So i thoguht to myself... "Nancy (that is what I call myself in my head) why not go to the Mercury Lounge and get yourself some tickets for a TMBG show?'. So that is what I did. I went to Houston street found the Mercury Lounge and waited outside of it for about 45 minutes. It wasn'tthat bad cause this other guy was there waiting for tickets too (for Midnight Oil) so I talked to him. But he got sick of waiting (or my conversation) and he left. I was alone. Then about 10 minutes later a man dressed all in black with blonde hair walked up to the Mercury Lounge door and kicked it three times. He was then let in my some mysterious force of nature. I thought to myself, "Nancy this is your chance!". So I knocked on the glass of the door and was let in. I explained that I was interested in buying tickets and the nice man gave me two of them for $24. A steal!! So on Dec. 18th I will be rockin' my little booty all over the place! So I have a question.. what time should I get there before They go on? I have no idea how fast the joint fills up. Also if anyone is going I am a nice guy and I will say hi and chat for awhile!! POINT NUMBER 2 I bought Lincoln's album! It is really cool and I am glad I shelled out the dough. If you are thinking about it, get it and you won't be sorry unless you don't like it Scott ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-333 ******************************