Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-334 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 334 Monday, 1 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Live in NYC TMBG: They in L.A. Non-TMBG: Lincoln Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! TMBG: new labels TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Re:_TMBG:__ano_katagata_wa_ooki__na__ka__mo_shiremasen_iru. Re: Re:_TMBG:__ano_katagata_wa_ooki__na__ka__mo_shiremasen_iru. TMBG: ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE TMBG: labels for the band Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS Re: Fw: TMBG: $28.49? Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS Re: TMBG: locker combination for the band... TURN TO 69-37-42 FOR OPIUM KEY FRESHNESS Re: Non-TMBG: Lincoln TMBG: THEY and the X-Presidents! Re: TMBG: THEY and the X-Presidents! Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Re: TMBG:catalog Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Re: TMBG: FOR OPIUM, GRIND THE BONES OF YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR INTO POWDER TMBG: Re: Virgin Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin TMBG: TMBLabels like Heroin for most. Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Virgin & XTC Fw: TMBG: Re: Virgin Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:26:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971130022615_1905875546@mrin51.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Live in NYC Just so you all know, I have Live in NYC in its entirety (at least I think its entirety - I have 19 tracks) on .wav. Yes, I know, it's an age of mp3s, but my computer isn't fast enough to realize that. Anyway, my point is that the site I got them from is down, but I periodically upload tracks for friends. If anyone is interested I will put them on my mailing list and I will send you the .wav of whatever song I happen to be uploading. E-mail me if this sounds good; my e-mail is TerryTMBG@aol.com (I want to say terry@tmbg.org, but I'm not sure that's working yet). Mmmm okay I think that's about it! -Terry- P.S. "They Might Be Giants" in French is either "Ils Peuvent Etre Grands" or "Ils Soient Grands;" I hope a better French student than me can say which (if either) is correct. "An eye for an eye makes the world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi (I think) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34813ECA.B2424540@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:24:17 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: They in L.A. If its true that the reason TMBG have been touring so extensively recently is to display themselves to potential new labels, then why is it that they haven't been to Southern California in almost a year? Doesn't that seem odd? Much of the music industry is centered here in Los Angeles. Four shows in Texas and no L.A. ? (Maybe they're saving us for last.) -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <348143FF.1A70BC68@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:46:31 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Non-TMBG: Lincoln >I bought Lincoln's album! It is really cool and I am glad I shelled out the >dough. If you are thinking about it, get it and you won't be sorry unless >you don't like it >Scott Because TMBG has not yet brought the new tour this way, I've haven't seen this band Lincoln that everyone's been raving about. I checked four record stores in the last three days and I couldn't find their album. The closest thing I could find was an album of Hal Holbrook reciting speeches by President Lincoln in the "spoken word" section. Then, today in the music section of a mega-sized bookstore called "Borders", they not only had several copies of the CD but they had a listening station for it. After listening to half the CD I was impressed enough to buy it. A song called "Basketball" really stood out for me. It was instantly likable and I think at least a few other tracks will soon grow on me. This is coming from someone who you might say is difficult to please. I haven't been too impressed with a lot of bands everyone else here seems to love. (Squirrel Nut Zippers, Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five for example). So if Lincoln appeals to a sourpuss like me, it must be worthwhile. Now a question for those of you that have the Lincoln disc. The lead singer's voice reminds me of someone from another band and its buggin' the hell out of me. Anyone know what I mean?! -B O N G O ____________________________________________ "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34819662.63B0@erols.com> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:37:54 -0500 From: Zydell Organization: Alienations For The Rich Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! The Lil' Depressed Boy wrote: > > >Actually, they've been on the Internet for a very long time...since > >early-to-mid '93, IIRC. > > That still doesn't matter, THEY ARE NOT the first band on the Internet. > Their were a lot more than them back when what we called the World Wide Web > was just a pipe dream. > Did you notice one of the guys in the pics of the band has a TMBG tshirt on? -Nancy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971130100242.006e97f4@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:02:47 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: new labels >Elektra is a sucky arse-faced bastard label anyway. They should pitch to >Virgin, the best big label out there. Best mass producer of obscure European >music out there, too. They're behind Pure Moods, an excellent disc. And >anybody who makes a company called Virgin isn't going to have a problem with >TMBG's non-conformist tendencies. I've been to several Virgin Megastores and have been consistently underwhelmed by the selection. The one in Paris only had _Flood_, and NO Moxy Fruvous. >On CD now I see a special John Henry for $28.49, which includes special >*LIVE* tracks. Do any of you own this one? Is it worth the $28.49? I'm >figuring since I paid $4 for John Henry in the first place, I could just >easily get rid of it and buy the $28 one if it is good. Anyone know where Mr. John Relph is? THis is *definitely* a candidate for the FAQ. What you've got there, m'friend, is the Australian import of John Henry. As you have already noticed, 1) it costs around $30, and 2) it's got a "live bonus disc". On that bonus disc are several tracks (well, 6, anyway) taken from--but *not* comprising entirely--the very rare _Live in New York_ promo. If that's worth the extra $24 to you, go for it. I personally think you'd be better off trading someone for a dub of LINY. >(I hear Virgin rail and airlines are somewhat sucky too) Nyet. My sister flew Virgin Atlantic last summer and continually raves about how good it was, even in coach. >What about Mammoth? They seem to be doing a pretty good job promoting >Squirrel Nut Zippers. They just got bought out by Disney or a branch thereof. I don't know for sure how this impacts them, but now that they're an arm of a huge conglomerate I'm not so sure they'll be willing to take a risk on such a decidedly odd band. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "There's three new roses in the lane. It's been a long, hard winter, but now there's rain. If you want my tears, tell me your name."--Dan Bern Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3481B0D3.2DF92A39@ibm.net> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:30:43 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas It's really cool. I've been seeing TMBG everywhere lately... or at least more than usual. My sister works at Structure (the men's clothing store) and mentioned to me the other day that they have TMBG on their soundtrack-- ya know the thing they play over the intercom thingy. I asked her if it was "Santa's Beard" and she said yes. Pretty cool, eh? So everyone go to Structure and support my sister by buying a lot of clothes while happily listening to TMBG over the intercom. Just kidding. But, they have to be pretty cool to play TMBG, right? Also, my hunt to a perfect "classic" X-mas album continues. I was looking for an X-mas CD with Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Elvis, and Nat King Cole all on it... but I still haven't found it. Anyways, while I was at Media Play looking through the X-Mas CDs, I noticed a "New Wave" Christmas CD. It was killer! It reminded me so much of all the songs ya'll we talking about putting on your own X-mas mix. It had Santa's Beard AND MonoPuff's Careless Santa and XTC and some other cool things that I can't remember now. Anyway, it's worth checking out. Also, to add to the "catalog whiners", I'd like to complain that I haven't gotten mine either. It's kinda pissing me off. Especially since I'm going back to school tomorrow and I wanted it before I left. Oh, well. I just hope that I GET IT-- period. -Robyn- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711301902.VAA13446@noda.atlasnet.fi> From: "Jarmo Lundgren" Organization: Medusa Promotion Oy Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:05:44 +0000 Subject: Re:_TMBG:__ano_katagata_wa_ooki__na__ka__mo_shiremasen_iru. > ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. In Finnish: He voisivat olla jattilaisia If your mail-client can't view scandinavian letters, it's He voisivat olla jattilaisia Just pronounce a-letters like in English word "man". ----> jab AKA "Jarmo Lundgren" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:21:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Re:_TMBG:__ano_katagata_wa_ooki__na__ka__mo_shiremasen_iru. Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Jarmo Lundgren wrote: > > ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. > > In Finnish: > > He voisivat olla jattilaisia > In Hebrew: Hem Yecholeem lee'heeyot Anakeem (or something like that...) Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "I know they know the way I think, I know they always will. But someday I'm gonna change my mind, sometimes I'd rather kill." -Agent Orange, "Bloodstains" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3481B1C7.50B0@www.bitel.es> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:34:47 +0100 From: Enrique Alberich <@dinky.bitel.es> Subject: TMBG: ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. Jarmo Lundgren wrote: > > > ano katagata wa ooki na ka mo shiremasen iru. > > In Finnish: > > He voisivat olla jattilaisia > > > In Catalan: Pot que siguin gegants PS: Catalan is a romance language (like spanish, french or italian) that it's spoken in Catalonia -where there's Barcelona- (north-east of Spain), the Balearic Islands (mediterranean east coast of Spain), and with other name (valenciano) in the Valencian Country (east of Spain), and in some points of Provenza (France), and even in a city of Sardinia (Italy) named Alguero. --------Fernando Alberich. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 16:38:34 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971130163834_852538909@mrin86.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE I went to the Everclear concert last night at RCKNDY, and when I got home the TV was on to USA up all night. When I happened upon the show, two people wer sitting in a truck and on of them said, "Hey have you heard the new Severe Tire Damage Tape?" and then he put it in the tape deck and it was some raunchy 80's metal band. I think the movie was called "Vice Academy" or something of the like. Graham --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Severe Tire Damage Date: 97-11-30 16:38:28 EST From: Cajun Gram To: mal@dragondata.com I went to the Everclear concert last night at RCKNDY, and when I got home the TV was on to USA up all night. When I happened upon the show, two people wer sitting in a truck and on of them said, "Hey have you heard the new Severe Tire Damage Tape?" and then he put it in the tape deck and it was some raunchy 80's metal band. I think the movie was called "Vice Academy" or something of the like. Graham ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:49:43 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: TMBG: labels for the band Message-ID: >They just got bought out by Disney or a branch thereof. I don't know for >sure how this impacts them, but now that they're an arm of a huge >conglomerate I'm not so sure they'll be willing to take a risk on such a >decidedly odd band. Hmmm... maybe since Speilberg seems to like them so much (what with Tiny Toons and all) Dreamworks or whatever could take them on. wait, is he in that group? What about Geffen? ponderingly, -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199711302339.RAA07768@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:23:23 -0600 > Hmmm... maybe since Speilberg seems to like them so much (what with Tiny > Toons and all) Dreamworks or whatever could take them on. >shudder<. If he/they do take in the Giants, let's hope it's not under Clooney-esque 'flavor of the minute' circumstances. That sort of enthusiasm is deadly to quality. (read: Bat-Nipples) I don't even *remember* the name of that (the first?) movie they've (Dreamworks) released.... not a good sign. But, then again, who thought 'Amblin' would be any great shakes? Mike "Sure, you can clone Ripley after 200 years to fight aliens, but would we ressurect George Washington to counter Iraq?" Leffel --who, in all honesty, would ressurect Abraham Lincoln. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 19:42:11 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: $28.49? Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Matthew James wrote: * $4/song! There are a number of folks with excellent recordings of this * concert on tape, or if you get really lucky you'll find the Live in NY Or I've got the whole friggin thing on my site if you want to go for the mp3s... RS (I'm back for a while.) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:15:18 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, mal wrote: > > Hmmm... maybe since Speilberg seems to like them so much (what with Tiny > > Toons and all) Dreamworks or whatever could take them on. > > >shudder<. If he/they do take in the Giants, let's hope it's not > under Clooney-esque 'flavor of the minute' circumstances. That > sort of enthusiasm is deadly to quality. (read: Bat-Nipples) > I don't even *remember* the name of that (the first?) movie > they've (Dreamworks) released.... not a good sign. > Oh, I don't know. Don't they put out Spin City too? I actually like that show, despite it's being on ABC which is owned by the Evil Empire. Anyway. I think They should hop on the Matador label- they could join Yo La Tengo, Pavement, and other bands- I think they'd fit right in, don't you all? Although, remember that matador movie thing I posted about a while ago? Maybe they've already joined, eh? Oh, for a direct pipeline to the Johns! I think, though, they should start their own label and put other bands they like on it. I mean, Flans did it already, right? Well, kinda, with Hello. And although sporadic, and although it is defunct, i think they might resurrect it, or just start something else- They Might Be Labels? > Mike "Sure, you can clone Ripley after 200 years to fight > aliens, but would we ressurect George Washington to > counter Iraq?" Leffel > --who, in all honesty, would ressurect Abraham Lincoln. > Here's a funny story- well, it's not really funny, but...nevermind. There is this book that someone requested from our library (I work in interlibrary loans) about Walt Whitman and his boy lovers. It was pretty amusing, especially the picture of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln in a rather romantic embrace... Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Every couple nights or so, you know, you pop into my dreams. I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me." -Ben Folds Five, "Fair" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <348224EB.1E5F@rica.net> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:46:03 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: labels for the band... USE BY 9-11-98 FOR OPTIMUM THEY FRESHNESS > Hmmm... maybe since Speilberg seems to like them so much (what with Tiny > > Toons and all) Dreamworks or whatever could take them on. > > >shudder<. If he/they do take in the Giants, let's hope it's not > under Clooney-esque 'flavor of the minute' circumstances. That > sort of enthusiasm is deadly to quality. (read: Bat-Nipples) TMBG could star in a movie called TMBG: The Movie, and they could play themselves, running around solving crimes, getting into crazy situations with their monkey-robot sidekick and have big musical numbers and cameos by washed-up 007's. > I don't even *remember* the name of that (the first?) movie > they've (Dreamworks) released.... not a good sign. The Freshmaker? Swedes take over the world. > But, then again, who thought 'Amblin' would be any great shakes? > > Mike "Sure, you can clone Ripley after 200 years to fight > aliens, but would we ressurect George Washington to > counter Iraq?" Leffel > --who, in all honesty, would ressurect Abraham Lincoln. My choice, T.R. And Hudson. I'd vote for that ticket. Joey, "Yeah, I watched some of the 'Love Bug,' I'm on winter break." Not affiliated with this page but it's often funny (they carry an over 21 disclaimer, so if your not 21 or would be offended by swearing, then I guess you're gonna peek anyway. You have been advised) http://www.theonion.com or this one but he's cool http://www.menagerie.net/ellison/ellihome.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:49:17 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: locker combination for the band... TURN TO 69-37-42 FOR OPIUM KEY FRESHNESS Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: * Oh, I don't know. Don't they put out Spin City too? I actually like that * show, despite it's being on ABC which is owned by the Evil Empire. Anyway. Good show. Mmm. Yes. Evil Empire. Mmm. Capitalism. Yes. Stays crispy in milk. * with Hello. And although sporadic, and although it is defunct, i think * they might resurrect it, or just start something else- They Might Be * Labels? Hello? No. Bad. How about like Ryko or Restless...? And They Might Be Labels? Nah, they already have TMB Productions, which would work just fine. Right? RIGHT!? RS ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:02:13 -0600 (CST) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Lincoln Message-ID: It kind of reminds me of Adam Sandler. His voice I mean. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:01:55 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: THEY and the X-Presidents! Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Joey Groah wrote: > > But, then again, who thought 'Amblin' would be any great shakes? > > > > Mike "Sure, you can clone Ripley after 200 years to fight > > aliens, but would we ressurect George Washington to > > counter Iraq?" Leffel > > --who, in all honesty, would ressurect Abraham Lincoln. > > My choice, T.R. And Hudson. I'd vote for that ticket. 'oo's 'udson? i guess my vote would go to Chester "More Obscure Than James K. Polk" Arthur... --jim kuemmerle, who would probably vote for any dead ex-president that used a Mike Leffel sig... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34822C40.6AA7@rica.net> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:17:20 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: THEY and the X-Presidents! > > > > But, then again, who thought 'Amblin' would be any great shakes? > > > > > > Mike "Sure, you can clone Ripley after 200 years to fight > > > aliens, but would we ressurect George Washington to > > > counter Iraq?" Leffel > > > --who, in all honesty, would ressurect Abraham Lincoln. > > > > My choice, T.R. And Hudson. I'd vote for that ticket. > > 'oo's 'udson? Hudson is Bill Paxton's over-the-top "game over man, game over!," character from 'Aliens'. > i guess my vote would go to > Chester "More Obscure Than James K. Polk" Arthur... > > --jim kuemmerle, who would probably vote for any dead ex-president that > used a Mike Leffel sig... Maybe that'll be Al Gore's platform in 2000. "A Mike Leffel sig in every pot, a Mike Leffel reference in every garage." Joey, thinks "hummous" is a funny word ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:12:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Message-ID: <19971130.221443.4974.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! Why don't you just do what someone else on this list did... leave for school and when it comes, tell the 'rents to get your Christmas stuff outof it... or just hint... alot... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:30:43 -0500 ew0k writes: >Also, to add to the "catalog whiners", I'd like to complain that I >haven't gotten mine either. It's kinda pissing me off. Especially >since I'm going back to school tomorrow and I wanted it before I left. >Oh, well. I just hope that I GET IT-- period. >-Robyn- > > ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:01:10 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:catalog Message-ID: <19971130.221443.4974.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I got my TMBG catalog in the mail! I was expecting a two page balck and white catalog but this FULL COLOR w/ PHOTOS ROCKS!!! Anyone notice the mistake on the Guitar&Accordian&Car shirt? Look at the front and back photos (concentrate on the back) and now look at the models... hmmm... I don't know whether to be happy or angry that the Dial-A-Song # on my shirt is screwed up... input? Also, I know that the models are Dan, Hal and Jim (although I'm not sure which is which.... but I've got it mostly figured out...) but aren't those Flansy's eyes I see peeking over the cropped Christmas Hat pic? or am I just seeing Flans everywhere? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Jim=skinny guy wearing 2040 shirt Dan=curly haired guy wearing MOno Puff shirt Hal=black haired in-need-of-a-shave bloke admiring Dan's posh T-shirt on pg. 2 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:25:58 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 mr.train@juno.com wrote: > Hey! Why don't you just do what someone else on this list did... leave > for school and when it comes, tell the 'rents to get your Christmas stuff > outof it... or just hint... alot... or there's also the SqueezinArt catalog (for accordion lovers everywhere)... visit http://www.squeezinart.com ... -jim kuemmerle, who didn't get paid to say this, but just noticed a need that might need to be filled... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712010501.XAA12743@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: FOR OPIUM, GRIND THE BONES OF YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR INTO POWDER Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:34:23 -0600 Joey "Show me the Money" Groah said: > TMBG could star in a movie called TMBG: The Movie, and they could play > themselves, running around solving crimes, getting into crazy situations > with their monkey-robot sidekick and have big musical numbers and cameos > by washed-up 007's. "It's a hard day's night.. and I've been working, like a John.." If there's a monkey-robot sidekick in the Spice Gores movie, I'll just puke. Monkey-Robots should only be in QUALITY films, like CABIN BOY or COPLAND. X-Presidents and They? how about the They Might Be Gay Duo?!?!? >Joey, "Yeah, I watched some of the 'Love Bug,' I'm on winter break." There is nothing more cool than a Nazi-Batmobile VW Bug. Testify! > > Hello? No. Bad. How about like Ryko or Restless...? And They > Might Be Labels? Nah, they already have TMB Productions, which would work > just fine. Right? RIGHT!? > > RS This Ryan Staib is on a roll! TURN TMB PRODUCTIONS into a freaking label! BOING! Why don't they! It would be so cool! (as long as, of course, it's cool. I don't want no Not Cool. No time for that. I have appointments to keep! Where would I be if I kept up with a label that promoted the Not Cool? Yes, I'd be in a pickle!) Mike "Get off my Danish, Staib!" Leffel >Maybe that'll be Al Gore's platform in 2000. "A Mike Leffel sig in every >pot, a Mike Leffel reference in every garage." Order yours today from RONCO! A sure hit with the ladies AND the gents! ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:57:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971130235757_-2109381493@mrin47> Subject: TMBG: Re: Virgin In a message dated 97-11-30 02:04:54 EST, you write: << Just for anyone out there who doesn't have an obnoxious teenybopper little sister, Virgin in the Spice Girl's label. -Ben ------------------------------ I think three letters sum this up: XTC. I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but if XTC felt creatively stifled by Virgin, I think TMBG might encounter the same thing... >> Yes, yes, it was the silly Spice Girls label...but they gotta make money! Spice, as much as everyone with hair under their arms hated it, was a huge commercial success. Now Spiceworld has had dismal sales, Baby Spice is bopping the ex-manager, and another Spicelet wants to go off and suck on her own. That's the cruel but natural food chain of pop music. It's a gold mine for the record companies. And in regards to XTC, that was a pop band. By this time in the career of TMBG, everybody knows they have a steady fan base, they'll be around as long as they want, because even if they turned into gangsta rappers most of us would still buy all the albums. In the recording industry, flash in the pan bands like XTC are pressured to remain in the same form that brought them initial success, the theory being that the same fans will come back and buy the new records. But with a band like TMBG, not particularly radio friendly, but with an above ground following big enough to make sure every album gains a profit, they'll be allowed to take whatever creative path they choose, because they know the consumer drones (that would be us) will shell out for it. ~Moose, defender of impersonal shallow big business "I awoke, and I realized this rock thing was true. Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil, and Jesus had been an architect previous to his career as a prophet..." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 00:28:28 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Virgin Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > And in regards to XTC, that was a pop band. By this time in the career of > TMBG, everybody knows they have a steady fan base, they'll be around as long > as they want, because even if they turned into gangsta rappers most of us > would still buy all the albums. In the recording industry, flash in the pan > bands like XTC are pressured to remain in the same form that brought them > initial success, the theory being that the same fans will come back and buy > the new records. But with a band like TMBG, not particularly radio friendly, > but with an above ground following big enough to make sure every album gains > a profit, they'll be allowed to take whatever creative path they choose, > because they know the consumer drones (that would be us) will shell out for > it. > Gee, I hope this is sarcasm and it's just late enough at night that I'm missing it. XTC is hardly a "flash in the pan" pop band. Considering their career began in the late 70's (i can't think when- I know the other XTC fans on here can, though) and they have about a bazillion albums (or so it feels- what is it with these English New Wave bands? I don't have the money to get all of XTC and Elvis Costello's stuff. I pray that the Spice Girls don't have such a voluminous career, but then, they're not New Wave. But I digress) and quite a loyal following both here and in Britain, and, I'm sure, all over the world. And, knowing the way that the record industry works, any major label that picks Them up is bound to try and change them in someway, or punish them like Electra did. Think of NBC here- they churn our carbon-copy sit coms and dramas in order to draw ratings (insert "Friends" and its subsequent copies here) and the other, less popluar shows (although with a big, loyal fan following) get jack, and are punished by no promotion or budget (insert Conan and Homicide here). It's the same thing with bands like TMBG, and bands like, say, Bush. I know they'r not on the same lable, but I can't think of any other Electra bands at the moment. TMBG, though having a loyal following, gets jerked around by Electra and no budget for vidoes or anything, yet a band like Bush ges a ton of promotion and stuff because they draw the crowds despite their pedestrian, annoying, repetitve music. You see? I'm a little bitter. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Every couple nights or so, you know, you pop into my dreams. I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me." -Ben Folds Five, "Fair" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 00:44:21 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: TMBLabels like Heroin for most. Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Ryan Staib wrote: > Good show. Mmm. Yes. Evil Empire. Mmm. Capitalism. Yes. Stays > crispy in milk. > Yeah, but I hate it when the milk gets all evil from the cereal soaking in it. Dammit. > Hello? No. Bad. How about like Ryko or Restless...? And They > Might Be Labels? Nah, they already have TMB Productions, which would work > just fine. Right? RIGHT!? > I vote a return to Restless as an option other than forming their own label. But I beleive the band is at a stage where they can begin their own label. And I agree with Mike Leffel (but then, don't we all?) that TMBProductions would be a good label name, or a good thing to turn into a label, or good with chocolate syrup. Either one. I do fear, however, that we'd no longer see the lovely vidoes to which we are used. They may not be able to afford it. It'd be fun, though, if they had a fund raiser, for the video. They Might Be Scouts- we could sell cookies or something, to raise money for the videos. "Hi, I'm selling cookies to raise money for They Might Be Giants to make vidoes for their new album." "Who?" "They Might Be Giants." "Aren't you a little old to be selling cookies?" "No." "Well, what kind have you got?" "Lie Still, Little Gingersnaps, Youth Culture Killed My Ladyfingers, The Chocolate Drops Got Me High, aaaand Kiss Me, Son of Sugar Cookies." "Uhhhh..." "I got crack." "Ok." Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Every couple nights or so, you know, you pop into my dreams. I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me." -Ben Folds Five, "Fair" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 00:12:27 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199712010612.AAA30690@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Virgin & XTC >> And in regards to XTC, that was a pop band. By this time in the career of >> TMBG, everybody knows they have a steady fan base, they'll be around as long >> as they want, because even if they turned into gangsta rappers most of us >> would still buy all the albums. In the recording industry, flash in the pan >> bands like XTC are pressured to remain in the same form that brought them >> initial success, the theory being that the same fans will come back and buy >Gee, I hope this is sarcasm and it's just late enough at night that I'm >missing it. XTC is hardly a "flash in the pan" pop band. Considering >their career began in the late 70's (i can't think when- I know the >other XTC fans on here can, though) and they have about a bazillion I agree. XTC, quite apart from the fact that they have released a large number of albums, has evolved and changed greatly from their roots. Listen to their first few albums, then listen to their most recent -- I defy you to then claim that they are in any way remaining in the same form that brought them initial success. Any band that has remained popular and fresh for over 20 years cannot reasonably be called a "flash in the pan". Mitch ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: Re: Virgin Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 01:13:19 -0500 Message-Id: <06174453102773@dancingink.com> > From: Vandal191@aol.com > And in regards to XTC, that was a pop band. In the recording industry, flash in the pan bands like XTC are pressured to remain in the same form that brought them > initial success, the theory being that the same fans will come back and buy > the new records. XTC......... Flash in the pan?......umm.......Hello? 1) They've been around longer than TMBG 2) Thay have a huge fan base. 3) TMBG like them so much they were on the tribute album! 4) Just read the first three again. They're not one of my top ten bands or anything but they needed defending here!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-334 ******************************