Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-335 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 335 Tuesday, 2 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-334 TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt, Lincoln, They rap Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas TMBG: random ramblings all lead to the label TMBG: random ramblings all lead to tom robbins TMBG: no need to worry!!! Re: TMBG: NO NEED TO WORRY]]] Fw: TMBG: no need to worry!!! TMBG: labels? Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Virgin & XTC Re: TMBG: NO NEED TO WORRY]]] Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt TMBG: An e-mail from the guitarist of Severe Tire Re: TMBG: labels? Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! TMBG: Accordian Samples & Fonts TMBG: Lables, catalog, other assorted things TMBG: Los Refreshments and 86-89??? TMBG: Maverick TMBG: A little late but what the hay! Re: TMBG: 86-89??? Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt Re: Fw: TMBG: no need to worry!!! Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt TMBG: Let the games begin TMBG: Re: The labels still Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 02:49:29 EST From: "I've got a match" Message-ID: <009BE18C.3579D6C0.7@kenyon.edu> Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-334 On Virgin Atlantic: It depends how facile you are. The size of the seats sucked. I was not physically comfortable for most of my trans-Atlantic trip. However, they distract you heavily with a personal TV screen and wide selection of movies for every passenger, lots of little toys you can keep (a sleep mask, pen, warm socks, etc.), the food has been given awards, and, dare I say it, the stewardesses... well, as someone else on the plane with us commented, "virgin" might be a stretch, but "attractive" is not... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199712010815.DAA08066@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 06:23:43 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201062343_833640882@mrin83.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt, Lincoln, They rap >> Anyone notice the mistake on the Guitar&Accordian&Car shirt? Look at the front and back photos (concentrate on the back) and now look at the models... << Ahh, strange. Wow I never even noticed that. Huh. >> hmmm... I don't know whether to be happy or angry that the Dial-A-Song # on my shirt is screwed up... input? << Yours is? On the shirt I got it says 718-387-6962. But they left off narrrrr. Maybe that's the problem. >> Now a question for those of you that have the Lincoln disc. The lead singer's voice reminds me of someone from another band and its buggin' the hell out of me. Anyone know what I mean?! << IMO, the first thing I thought when I saw them was The Rheostatics. Great Canadian band.:) >> By this time in the career of TMBG, everybody knows they have a steady fan base, they'll be around as long as they want, because even if they turned into gangsta rappers most of us would still buy all the albums. << I almost said "Speak for yourself" - but now I'm thinking how amusing that'd be.... :) "crusin' down the 'hood with my coffee and my John..." Hm... sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/site.html "These are a few of my dangerous things...You'll have to sut me in two to count my rings" ~~Odds ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971201072420.006a7460@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 07:24:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Have Yourself a TMBG Christmas Wow, their site's up? Cool! I ordered a Hero 9-key diatonic accordion for a friend from them. Very cool stuff. TTYL, -Adam At 08:25 PM 11/30/97 -0700, you wrote: > >or there's also the SqueezinArt catalog (for accordion lovers >everywhere)... > >visit http://www.squeezinart.com ... /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 05:53:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: random ramblings all lead to the label Message-ID: <19971201.055404.3398.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEY! >Not affiliated with this page but it's often funny (they carry an over >21 disclaimer, so if your not 21 or would be offended by swearing, then >I guess you're gonna peek anyway. You have been advised) >http://www.theonion.com the onion!?! that is the most totally rockin newpaper out there! =) everyone should go check it out.... it's one of those things you'd expect mike leffel to write... with horoscopes predicting you'll die, > Hello? No. Bad. How about like Ryko or Restless...? And They >Might Be Labels? Nah, they already have TMB Productions, which would work >just fine. Right? RIGHT!? how bout... they might be entertainment? =) >Joey, thinks "hummous" is a funny word tabouli, babbaganoush? NERF HERDER! =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 07:46:37 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: random ramblings all lead to tom robbins Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: > tabouli, babbaganoush? NERF HERDER! =) AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! BABBAGANOUSH!!!!!!!! (jim runs around in circles screaming BABBAGANOUSH!!! at the top of his lungs. well, not really, but use your imagination.) babbaganoush, albeit spelled differently, plays a very prominent role in tom robbins' book 'skinny legs and all', which, if you haven't read YET, i'm very disappointed in you. well, not really, but use your imagination. sorry for the totally non-TMBG content, but things have been kinda slow lately... -jim kuemmerle, who as of last night has now read all of tom robbins' books. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: no need to worry!!! Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:34:13 -0500 Message-Id: <17325918703068@dancingink.com> Listen.... I'm not worried. You shouldn't be worried. The John's sell enough albums that IF a major label doesn't want them(this would be good and bad for different reasons) there are ALOT of smaller labels out there that would kill for the kind of sales They would bring. Think about it.. Rhino for example, was perfectly happy releasing a cd every time Frank Zappa farted into a microphone. Things will be just fine. Someone had mentioned Ryko but I kind of doubt that would happen considering the problems between them and Flans over the finished-but-not-released Mono Puff album "I like to steal" or whatever it's called this week. Relax ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712011743.MAA02029@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:43:43 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: Re: TMBG: NO NEED TO WORRY]]] "AugieWan" wrote: >>that would kill for the kind of sales They would bring. Think about it.. >>Rhino for example, was perfectly happy releasing a cd every time Frank >>Zappa farted into a microphone. Things will be just fine. That would be Ryko, not Rhino. And if only the Johns could be so prolific... And is Ryko (or Rhino, for that matter) really considered a "small" label? Could have fooled me. Peace, Brett ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: no need to worry!!! Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:10:14 -0500 Message-Id: <18090090603090@dancingink.com> Sorry about the Rhino Ryko mix-up > IF a major label doesn't want them(this would be good > and bad for different reasons) I think I will elaborate on this...... If they get a Major Label Contract, They will get more money. They may or may not get better publicity. The label would probably release one single(EP) and when sales didn't climb the Billboard charts, they would say, "that's all, we'll try again next album." This means that we get new albums and, once in a while, a single. If they get a Indie(or smaller "major Label) Contract, They would not get a big 'ol chunk of money up front. They could possibly get better promo. A smaller label could be hyped to push them since They would be ,in relation, a big seller. A small label would , like I said before, consider anything that sold more than 10,000 copies a good sell, so it would be easy for Them to put out lots of EXTRA stuff (singles+EP's+other junk) You know how They love to write lots-o-stuff in-between albums. This would be a GOOD thing. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712011802.AA01574@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: labels? Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:02:38 -0500 (EST) Hello all, In this discussion of labels and where TMBG should go (major, independent, start their own) I am just trying to figure out that mass of confusion known as record labels. I believe that there's only like 6 major labels in the world, right? Virgin, Warner WEA Sony I can't think of any more. And then there are lots and lots of independent labels. But then some of these labels seem to be owned by Major labels or in fact may be other names for major labels? I'm not really sure. Take Elektra for instance, I don't know exactly what they are, I know TMBG went from independent Bar-None to major label, but I didn't think Elektra was one of the major labels but perhaps it is owned by a major label? Or maybe Elektra is their own major label? Or perhaps a division of a major label? Can any label guru please clarify this for me? Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712011813.AA01583@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Re: Virgin & XTC Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:13:09 -0500 (EST) > >> bands like XTC are pressured to remain in the same form that brought them > >> initial success, the theory being that the same fans will come back and buy > > >Gee, I hope this is sarcasm and it's just late enough at night that I'm > >missing it. XTC is hardly a "flash in the pan" pop band. Considering > >their career began in the late 70's (i can't think when- I know the > >other XTC fans on here can, though) and they have about a bazillion > > I agree. XTC, quite apart from the fact that they have released a large > number of albums, has evolved and changed greatly from their roots. Listen > to their first few albums, then listen to their most recent -- I defy you to > then claim that they are in any way remaining in the same form that brought > them initial success. Any band that has remained popular and fresh for over > 20 years cannot reasonably be called a "flash in the pan". You should hear some of Andy Partridge's solo stuff and collaborations, freakin' weird stuff there! Like what he did with Mr. Bungle or this weird Brian & Roger Eno and similar style music he worked on with another fellow of that genre (wish I could remember that CD's name). But yes, XTC has evolved from the punk of the 70s to the pop of the 80s and even into the 90s with Nonsuch. I would hardly call such a talented group "flash in the pan" (at least as talented as TMBG). Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:07:39 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: NO NEED TO WORRY]]] Message-ID: > >>that would kill for the kind of sales They would bring. Think about it.. > >>Rhino for example, was perfectly happy releasing a cd every time Frank > >>Zappa farted into a microphone. Things will be just fine. > > That would be Ryko, not Rhino. And if only the Johns could be so prolific... > And is Ryko (or Rhino, for that matter) really considered a "small" label? > Could have fooled me. Well, I would have to say that Ryko is considered a small label. I mean, compare it to Virgin, or DGC, or whatever, and it's small. But it's a great label. They stuck by Bob Mould in his Sugar phase and now again as a solo artist....he doesn't sell many records, but Ryko still lets him make videos and all that. And hell, any label that had the good sense to rerelease the works of Mission of Burma (yah!) and Galaxie 500 (double yah!) has to be pretty cool. And Richard Thompson, and Elvis Costello (some of it), and Morphine (for a while), and on, and on..... Basically, Ryko is the small label for big bands. They would be perfect for Them. 'nuff said. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: "\".train\"<.train"<@juno.com> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:04:38 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt Message-ID: <19971201.140439.6622.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 06:23:43 -0500 (EST) KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: >>><> >From Trains message: >hmmm... I don't know whether to be happy or angry that the > >Dial-A-Song # on my shirt is screwed up... input? > >From Sarah's response: >Yours is? On the shirt I got it says 718-387-6962. But they left off >narrrrr. >Maybe that's the problem. <> >sarah <> I think sarah must've misunderstood... does anyone else have the erroneuos T-shirt with the number listed as 718-486-8534 (or something like that?) Are you happy? sad? angered? indifferent? in need of a 3-D talking globe? think America needs to go to the moon again? do you want to clean up that mess you made? can I store a body at your house? eh? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712011910.AA01650@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: An e-mail from the guitarist of Severe Tire Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:10:12 -0500 (EST) > We're definitely fans of TMBG. For many years. We play three of their > tunes. And when our bass player, who knows the lyrics for "James K. > Polk" by heart, first brought their new album title to our attention, we > were puzzled. It must be a tribute album to us. > > But we all know They Might Be Giants is way cooler than that. Must be > coincidence. > > We've not heard of any connection. Yet. Maybe we can start a rumor. > > -russ > guitarist, STD > http://www.std.org -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:25:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201142533_-554546007@mrin54.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: labels? <> Well, I checked my 10,000 Maniacs CD (With Natalie, if anyone cares. It just happened to be on the top) and Elektra is owned by Warner. Kind of makes you think that ALL record companies are owned by other record companies, until the big one is owned by some guy named Pete, who lives in a cabin near Lake Champlain in Vermont. Wouldn't THAT be freaky? -Casey, who does not live in Vermont nor has a clever saying to put in quotes ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34831205.450D@erols.com> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:37:41 -0500 From: Zydell Organization: Alienations For The Rich Subject: Re: TMBG: SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE ALERT! HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 97-11-30 11:52:49 EST, you write: > > << Did you notice one of the guys in the pics of the band has a TMBG tshirt > on? > >> > > Which picture? There are lots on that website and i havent noticed anyone > wearing a tmbg shirt > > Jordan Its at this address. there are pictures at the top of the page that change at regular intervals. One of the pics on the right top corner has a dark haired guy with some facial hair in the t-shirt. It is white with a square picture with a purple background and a skull looking head on it. That is a TMBG shirt from a few years back. on the TMBG.com page its t23 skull shirt. http://www.std.org/text/high.html Nancy ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:13:56 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201161356_618699326@mrin79> Subject: TMBG: Accordian Samples & Fonts Ok, first of all: I'm working on doing songs for a solo band project & for the background beat I'm using Impulse Tracker & do nifty little sounds. I have the need for an accordian sample in one of my songs. So if anyone has an accordian note in middle C send it to me... Also, I noticed that in Facotry Showroom, it says something like "They Might Be Gothic Font" I thought that'd be a cool font to have, so if anyone has it, send it to me.... Jason "I Might Be Gothic, Too" Glastetter ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:21:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201160215_-892878958@mrin43.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Lables, catalog, other assorted things Hello 41- Here is my input as I know it about labels... Rhino, Ryko- These labels are very heavily into re-releases and stuff like that. It wouldn't work. Mammoth- As I recall, and I believe I saw here, Mammoth was bought out. Dreamworks- This is Speilberg's label, and I thought it was for his movie stuff. Sub Pop- An interesting idea, but I don't see it working. Elektra- Is owned by the major owner Warner Group I think. Restless/Bar None/any small indie- This probably wouldn't work. I belive TMBG have gotten used to their life of not staying on people's couches after shows and things like that. And as I saw someone say awhile ago, if you think it's difficult to find their stuff now wait untill they are on a small label. The best label idea I've seen so far is American Recordings. It seems to be the "right size" and all that. I do think it's LA based though, and TMBG may want something NY based though you never know. I also like the idea of a major label offshoot such as maybe Interscope or Slash. Catalog- I see this catalog good in some ways, and bad in others. Good: #1- It arrived to me allready, which is good. #2- It's good to see acutal money spent on it. #3- I really like the pictures. Bad: #1- As pretty as the new one is, I like the design of the older ones from the early 90's and before. 8 pages, stuffed to the gills with text, pictures, stuff to order and William Allen White heads. #2- I'm not a big fan of the new typeface. #3- I wish more of the older stuff was still listed, as I belive some of it still exsists. Other- Skinny Legs and All by Tim Robbins is a book I've never read, but Skinny Legs And All is a great song by Joe Tex. Anyone in the Chicago area go see the play "Cannibal Cheerleaders On Crack" if you haven't allready. It's at the Torso Theater which is on about 3000 North Halsted. I head The Thanksgiving Song, by Adam Sandler, about four times last weekend, but Tryptophane zero times. 8^\ It's a wiggly world. I was in a fave record store of mine in Chicago (where I was on the weekend) and found the video version of the 120 Minutes compilation that has Ana Ng on it. Yay, more for the collection... Adam ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:12:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Los Refreshments and 86-89??? Message-ID: <19971201.161228.20958.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! Check this out from the OLD never updated Refreshments web page about their new album! <<>> The Refreshments are just THE most up and coming band in the Tempe, AZ. area. Currently in the studio to make their fouth CD, they are the hotest thing out of Phoenix since the Gin Blossoms. Kind of "Greenday" meets "They Might Be Giants", with a definite southwest flavor. Infuences include by Camper VanBeethoven, Cracker, and the Pixies. The Refreshments just have to be heard ( and seen ) to be appreciated So check out the sound clips, read the lyrics, maybe buy a CD, and most of all, catch this band live if you can ! >><< Cool, huh? Also, I was browsing http://205.186.189.2/cg/amg.exe?sql=2P_IDP|||||5632 today,and I stumled across a video compilation entitled 86-89... anyone care to explain? import? It was released under restless, but I can't get a listing of what videos are on there.. I'd imagine all of the restless ones... also, they had a compilation entitled Time for a Change... I don't recall seeing this in the discography... the songs on it are: We're the Replacements, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, and Hello Radio... TMBG also produced this album! it also has stuff from Otis Ball, Embarrassment, Brian Dewan and Freedy Johnson among others... This page is AMAZING!!! did anyone know that JL played Accordian on Suzzanne Vega's album "Days of Open Hand"? or that he played Sax for Jon Spencer Blues Exlosion and The Honeymoon Killers?? or that he played organ and accordian on Annabouboula's In the Baths of Constantinople? This is cool! Tim, he's top fueled and he's bad! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: On The Drag PS: Flansy was the engineer on Drink Me's 1993 self titled Drink Me album! CHOO CHOO!!! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712012124.AA01817@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Maverick Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:24:03 -0500 (EST) Hey TMBG could join Madonna's label, Maverick and then play all of the Madonna songs their hearts desire! whoo hooo! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256560.007703AE.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:52:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: A little late but what the hay! From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 02:54:14 -0500 (EST) >> In "Hideaway Folk Family" there's a line that reads "And sadly the cross eyed >> bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs", and I heard part of it slightly >> different. It sounded a lot like "And the sad little cross I bear's been put >> to sleep behind the stairs". Maybe my noodle is playing tricks on me, but >> it's a strange hard pronunciation of the the D in "and" that makes the "the" >> sound, and the rest of it just flows together. Anybody who has this recorded >> somewhere; listen to it and tell me if I'm nuts. > I think we're both nuts, because I've *always* heard "the sad little > cross-eyed bear." Even though I know it's "sadly," I've never been able > to hear it that way. >Well, it's definitely sadly, because it's a play on the line from a religious >song (or maybe a prayer) that goes, "Sadly the cross I bear..." or something. >Flans does have a tendency to sing many of his lines in such a way that they >can sound equally like two different things. For example, the first line of >"The World's Address" still sounds like "How are you this evening?" even >though I know it's "I know you decieved me." I don't know how he manages to >make "I" sound like "How" but he does! Maybe I'm just nuts, tho... >Kay This is funny because I raised the same questions about 2 or 3 years ago on this list and a fierce debate swarmed up, the clouds grew dark, the waves crashed upon the rocks, and the list gods became very angry. In the end, it was determined by the list gods (who btw, were much more fierce than the list gods today) that the lyric sheet is correct and that it is "Sadly, the cross-eyed bear's...." and that it is a play on the religious song/prayer. After many dawns have come and gone I still hear it as "the sad little cross-eyed bear...." and I don't think the religious role fits. Maybe that is why I was never elevated to a list god. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Erik ------------------------------ Message-ID: <348332CC.1F26A42C@ibm.net> Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:57:33 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: Re: TMBG: 86-89??? > Also, I was browsing > http://205.186.189.2/cg/amg.exe?sql=2P_IDP|||||5632 > today,and I stumled across a video compilation entitled 86-89... > anyone > care to explain? import? It was released under restless, but I can't > get > a listing of what videos are on there.. I'd imagine all of the > restless > ones... > I've seen that listed on pages and in discographies before-- mostly it's been labelled as being a laserdisc. It's just the Video Compilation on laserdisc. I just happened to find it at Camelot Music about 2 years ago for $5. I find myself to be very fortunate. Has anyone else out there found it except for me? It has a pretty neat cover on it that is a still from Purple Toupee with Flans's head really huge and Linnell jammin' in his accordian next to his face. Except the pic's all fuzzy and in two colors (blue and black). It has a neat little explanation of TMBG on the back, too. If anyone wants for info about it just ask. > also, they had a compilation entitled Time for a Change... I don't > recall > seeing this in the discography... the songs on it are: We're the > Replacements, Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, and Hello Radio... I've heard of this too. Except I haven't been able to find it. I haven't really looked, tho, because I already have the songs on the EP tapes, EP mini-disc, Misc T, and Then. Anyone have it? Oh, well, just thought I'd ramble a bit. -Robyn- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:19:30 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 ".train"<.train@u.cc.utah.edu wrote: > I think sarah must've misunderstood... does anyone else have the > erroneuos T-shirt with the number > listed as 718-486-8534 (or something like that?) oh, *I* get it!!!! the Johns put out a Miscellaneous Tee!! :) -jim "or maybe that's an Erroneous Tee..." kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:32:10 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: no need to worry!!! Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, AugieWan wrote: > If they get a Major Label Contract, They will get more money. They may or > may not get better publicity. The label would probably release one > > If they get a Indie(or smaller "major Label) Contract, They would not get a > big 'ol chunk of money up front. They could possibly get better promo. A > Yes, well, all good points, but there's always that little matter of integrity. I mean, They did possibly better when they were on Restless/Bar-None- a bunch of singles, and several videos. I can't remember, though- anyone know why they left them and went to Electra? I'm guessing big chunk 'o money, but maybe there's something else. I mean, all Electra seems to have done is jerk them around and delay the release of albums and singles and such, and not allow them to make videos any more. It's kind of a double-edged sword, but they were certainly treated better by the minor label, and I think, at this point, that they are a big enough band to get snapped up by some other minor label and to be treated like princes. I'm still voting all the way for them to make their own label, but a return to Restless/bar-none would be a better idea, I think, especially after the release of "Then." > Basically, Ryko is the small label for big bands. They would be perfect > for Them. 'nuff said. Yeah, but there's still that mysterious altercation with Flans and Monopuff and all. Who knows what went on, and so Ryko is probably not an option, really. Boy, Flans is sure a testy guy- I mean, didn't half the original band members leave because of some incident with him, or falling out or something? Although, I can't quite imagine Linnell being a real easy-going person either. But I digress. If none of the label options are viable that I listed above, then they might try for Matador. I think that would be the best path. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Every couple nights or so, you know, you pop into my dreams. I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me." -Ben Folds Five, "Fair" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:39:38 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG car/accordian shirt Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 ".train"<.train@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu wrote: > I think sarah must've misunderstood... does anyone else have the > erroneuos T-shirt with the number > listed as 718-486-8534 (or something like that?) I find it highly amusing at how often the Dial-A-Song number is mis-printed. I mean, I can't tell ya how often I called 718-693-6962, which is how it's printed in the Apollo 18 inserts until I realized- hey! It's _wrong_! Personally, I think the Johns do it just to experiment on what we'll do when they misprint something like that. "Hey, Linnell, I've got a fun idea. Let's misprint the DAS number and see what those sheep'll do!" "Ok...tell 'em it's 812-336-8240...that'll be fun!" Stef: "Hello? No, dammit, for the nine-hundredth time, this is not the Dial-A-Song number! It's three in the morning, leave me alone!" Johns: "Hee hee!" > Are you happy? sad? > angered? indifferent? in need of a > 3-D talking globe? think America needs to go to the moon again? do you > want to clean up that mess you made? can I store a body at your house? > eh? > Indifferent (as usual). Definitely in need of a 3-D talking globe. The one I've got now talks to me, but I don't think it's supposed to. And it won't shut up. No, I most certainly do not want to clean up that mess I made. I think we should all go to the moon. Yes, you can store a body at my house- I've got a crawlspace! Eh. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Every couple nights or so, you know, you pop into my dreams. I just can't get rid of you like you got rid of me." -Ben Folds Five, "Fair" ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 23:32:31 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201233230_328930121@mrin45.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Let the games begin Okay, I finished a couple of my college apps, so I am going to reward myself (I don't know, I like watching the little bar move) by uploading the first track from Live In NYC, "O Do Not Forsake Me." If anyone who e-mailed me earlier doesn't get a copy within say three days (AOL's mail server is really really bad), tell me and I will look into it. Anyway, the reason I bring this up now is because while I have it in my "AOL Mailbox" as I think it's called I can forward it to anyone wicked easily, and so you can still e-mail me at TerryTMBG@aol.com requesting to be put on my master list. Okay, that's it, thanks for your patience everyone! -Terry- "Never be afraid to side with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority." - William Jennings Bryan ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 23:42:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971201234238_-939031516@mrin52.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: The labels still >>Gee, I hope this is sarcasm and it's just late enough at night that I'm missing it. XTC is hardly a "flash in the pan" pop band. Considering their career began in the late 70's (i can't think when- I know the other XTC fans on here can, though) and they have about a bazillion albums (or so it feels- what is it with these English New Wave bands? Jeez, I guess I brought the pain. It wasn't sarcasm, but I didn't mean to be down on XTC. To music enthusiasts like us XTC has more weight, but when you ask most people about XTC, they say "Oh yeah, I remember them!" But I still want to apologize for my rather abrupt dismissal of XTC. >>XTC......... Flash in the pan?......umm.......Hello? 1) They've been around longer than TMBG 2) Thay have a huge fan base. 3) TMBG like them so much they were on the tribute album! 4) Just read the first three again. Okay, the problem here is that we're confusing the art of music with the industry of recording. To the labels, XTC's career began in about 81 and ended in about 85 when New Wave began losing ground to Hair Metal. To any label in the early 80s, having XTC was quite similar to having Wham. It was a cash cow for a limited amount of time, then gone. This huge following? I don't see it. The fact is, the consumers that dictate demand are the fickle and ignorant majority. Maybe I just come from an XTC deficient background or something. TMBG are obviously huge fans of XTC. But that has little to do with it anyway. BUT IT'S ALL MOOT BECAUSE I HAVE THE ANSWER: Luaka Bop. David "God" Byrne's label. Luaka Bop is an extremely diverse gang, they run folk to salsa to African chant, and honcho Byrne is not going to in any way hinder anybody's creative process. Also, Luaka Bop is an affiliate of Warner Brothers, and WB just pumps money into it without even looking where there throwing it. Also, unless I've missed something, WB isn't short of cash. ~Moose, the offensive one "Roses tattooed in the perfect place She bears the burden of a pretty face Monkey boy, leopard girl The strange is all so beautiful" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-335 ******************************