Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-336 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 336 Wednesday, 3 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: More Label Mania TMBG: label clarification TMBG: wrong number shirt TMBG: Zappa/XTC nitpicking... TMBG: Time For A Change, Labels and STUFF! TMBG: New full songs Re: TMBG: Time For A Change, Labels and STUFF! TMBG: NON:TMBG HARLAN ELLISON IS DEAD! Re: TMBG: 86-89??? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3483FF83.CE46AEA7@pacificnet.net> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:31:09 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: More Label Mania >BUT IT'S ALL MOOT BECAUSE I HAVE THE ANSWER: >Luaka Bop. >David "God" Byrne's label. Luaka Bop is an extremely diverse gang, they run >folk to salsa to African chant, and honcho Byrne is not going to in any way >hinder anybody's creative process. Also, Luaka Bop is an affiliate of Warner >Brothers, and WB just pumps money into it without even looking where there >throwing it. Also, unless I've missed something, WB isn't short of cash. ~Moose, the offensive one I really like that idea but Luaka Bop focuses on world music. Only three bands/artists on their label are from the U.S. so far. If they were to take on a new band from the USA, it would mostly likely be a debuting artist, especially one with a cross-cultural aspect to their style. Now if the Johns were to start rapping South Indian folk songs in Portuguese, they might have a chance. Someone mentioned DreamWorks SKG. That's a possibility. They DO release more than soundtracks. (The Eels album for example.) -B O N G O ____________________________________________ "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971202103808.006e43c0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 10:38:08 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: label clarification The ex-CEO of Virgin Records and present president (not sure of his title) of Warner Bros Music is a friend of our family.Therefore all this discussion has been very interesting to me. I now wonder why I didn't say anything earlier. Under Warner Bros Music, there are a variety of labels, such as Warner Bros. Records, Elektra, and Reprise. (Reprise is BNL's label). Hopefully this clears things up a bit. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971202104126.006e43c0@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 10:41:26 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: wrong number shirt I was happy about the wrong number, because when I called it (this was at the beginning of September. The number is now defunct), I got a message machine with what seemed to be Flans voice (and his voice is pretty easy to recognize once you have heard it), saying that this was the wrong number and giving the actual DAS number. It made me feel special for some reason. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 11:38:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: TMBG: Zappa/XTC nitpicking... Message-id: <01IQP39FLHWY8WW4FA@alpha.montclair.edu> ACTUALLY, Zappa's "Beat The Boots" series was released on Foo-Eee, whhich was a one-off imprint of Rhino. Everything else, however, (i.e. Frank farting, I suppose) was/is Rykodisc. And I'm eternally grateful. "200 Motels" is a masterpiece. (Foo-Eee's logo was Rocky the Rhino with a disc spinning on his horn. Cute.) Andy Partridge's "Eno-like" co-conspirator was/is Harold Budd. "Through The Hill" is a CD they released on an imprint of Caroline Records. (I think All Saints, which is Eno's vanity label...) Caroline, by the way, would be a great fit for TMBG. Great people in a&r and promo, decent size/distribution, and now that the Chemical Brothers have exploded they're on top o' the world... They did alright by Ben Folds, too. (BTW- I was working for Caroline when BFF got signed. Got to meet 'em and got a copy of their demo tape. Wow, was that cool.) Finally, XTC were hardly a liability in the mid '80s. Skylarking was a MAJOR critical smash, and people even bought it simply because they were intrigued by the Andy/Todd Rundgren feuding. "Oranges And Lemons" was a fairly big hit. "Mayor Of Simpleton" was all over MTV for a time. Continue to resist! Screw Hanson! Tom (Pooh Head Bucket) sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971202185342.22985.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: Time For A Change, Labels and STUFF! Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 13:53:38 EST A guy I work with has the "Time For A Change" compilation. It's pretty decent. Some of the songs get on your nerves after a while, but it's worth having. So good luck finding it! He has the only copy I've ever seen. Concerning labels, I believe that TMBG should move to Zoo Records. Matthew Sweet has been on that label for years with only sporadic chart success, and his support has seemed to be pretty decent. (Maybe he would tell us differently...) However, if They moved to Maverick, then They would know the immense pleasure of having Candlebox as labelmates! ******************** "Gentle" Ben - hankering for some "Kiss Me, Son of Sugar Cookies" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:36:01 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: New full songs Message-ID: Howdy folks. I have just added some more full songs (in mp3 and wav formats) from the 11/6 Mercury Lounge show.. Here are the songs that I've got up now: Funky new intro Triboro Finished With Lies On the Drag Escape from the Planet of the Apes Letterbox I Palindrome I Your Own Worst Enemy Shoehorn with Teeth CD skipping version Why Does the Sun Shine? My goal is to bring the concert experience to tmbg fans everywhere, especially those who are not fortunate enough to be able to get to the shows. I hope you enjoy my live sounds and pictures. See ya! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:38:55 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Time For A Change, Labels and STUFF! Message-ID: <2A697854FCE@athena.valpo.edu> a little update on zoo records. last year it was bought out by volcano records. i'm not sure if zoo really exists any more or if matthew sweet is directly under volcano. volcano is much more pop music oriented, however almost all the zoo bands have remained there, and i don't know what kinds of new bands have been signed to volcano. i do know of a few people in the industry who have lost their zoo jobs when it was bought out. however, sweet has a fairly large distribution, and has been relatively happy with zoo/volcaono. of all the possibilities people have listed, i think that the zoo/volcano company would be best for tmbg (hell, they hung onto sweet after altered beast and son of altered beast flopped, and as far as i know still have him after blue sky on mars). all apologies if i screwed something up with the zoo thing. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712030113.TAA13068@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: NON:TMBG HARLAN ELLISON IS DEAD! Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 18:57:45 -0600 No I'm lying. Please forgive the utter NON:TMBG... Joey Groah.. are you there? Your email is either not working or I am typing it wrong.. please respond. I would like to discuss something and the mail is returning to me. Mike "Alex Ross versus Aunt May" Leffel ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 01:00:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971203010048_1348567942@mrin79> Subject: Re: TMBG: 86-89??? Hello 41- As mentioned AOL's mail server sucks, so if this has been mentioned, forgive me please. 86-89 is the same as the video compilation that basically has the Misc. cover, with a few differences. 86-9 has a blue cover and blue text and was put out by Enigma, not Restless and Bar None. It could very well be on laser disc. If anyone finds several, please tell me. I recently found the 120 Minutes compilation from the 80's on video with Ana Ng. Yay. Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-336 ******************************