Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-337 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 337 Thursday, 4 December 1997 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: ASCII art Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic TMBG: tmbg record sales? non-TMBG: matthew sweet list TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? Re: TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? Re: TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect TMBG: wahoo! Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Re: TMBG: wahoo! Re: TMBG: wahoo! Re: TMBG: 86-89??? Re: TMBG: tmbg record sales? Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect TMBG: Flans and Videos Re: TMBG: 86-89??? TMBG: bootlegs TMBG: newark, de TMBG: aalalaaalaalalalalalaalaalaalaal Re: TMBG: aalalaaalaalalalalalaalaalaalaal Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 01:32:10 -0600 (CST) From: ***Tarnished Silence*** Subject: NON-TMBG: ASCII art Message-ID: Hello TMBGers. Does anyone have an cool ASCII art to share? I'm trying to build up a decent database of ASCII art, and would love to see yours! I'll keep your name with it, too, if you made it and want me to. I'll probably put them on the web eventually. Thanks for your electronic space! Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 02:48:52 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712030748.CAA28892@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and my mechanic At 04:24 PM 11/11/97 -0700, you wrote: >On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >> The San Antonio show was great. They played the same songs as they did in >> Houston (with the addition of Dig My Grave)... My friend has the setlist, so >> I can post it if anyone is interested. > >i'm interested!!! > >-jim kuemmerle Here you go, several weeks later: SLEEPING IN THE FLOWER JAMES K POLK SPIRALING SHAPE ANA NG ACTAUL SIZE DR WORM PARTICLE MAN SHOEHORN WITH TEETH S.E.X.X.Y. WHY DOES THE SUN SHINE? SPY -FLANS -BROOM -LINNELL ISTANBUL XTC VS ADAM ANT EXQUISITE DEAD GUY OLDER DON'T LET START PET NAME SPIDER BIRDHOUSE NO ONE KNOWS MY PLAN THE GUITAR DIG MY GRAVE LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE NEW YORK CITY 'TILL MY HEAD FALLS OFF HOW CAN i SING LIKE A GIRL? Mitch ------------------------------ From: PaulLB@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:55:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971203085547_1183498014@mrin44.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: tmbg record sales? Hey, I posted this to the NG a couple days ago with no response and thought I'd throw it out to the list. Does anyone know (or know where we can find out) TMBG record sales numbers on an album by album basis? Someone had mention that Flood had recently gone platinum. These numbers must be available somewhere. Yer Pal Paul ------------------------------ From: Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:20:05 CST Subject: non-TMBG: matthew sweet list Message-ID: <2B74C3261EC@athena.valpo.edu> last year i was on the matthew sweet discussion list, much like the tmbg one. unfortunately, the account has closed. i don't know why, and i'm wondering if any tmbg fans were on the matthew sweet list and know if it exists anymore and where in email land it is. it was roughly the size of this list, so i'd assume that if one server closed, another would open up with the list on it. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34858CD9.427D830@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 10:46:17 -0600 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? What is the URL of the web page that has approximately 1 million TMBG MP3s? I know it's run off someone's dorm computer, and it went down over Thanksgiving when they were out of town. Can anyhone help me out with the URL? Thanks, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712031649.LAA20505@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Lee Steel" Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:49:28 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:08:23 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: URL of TMBG MP3 page? Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Mitchell Harding wrote: * What is the URL of the web page that has approximately 1 million * TMBG MP3s? I know it's run off someone's dorm computer, and it went down * over Thanksgiving when they were out of town. Can anyhone help me out * with the URL? It's my page, and it comes in two flavors which taste exactly the same: http://149.159.115.90/index.html or http://as-115-90.ashton.indiana.edu/index.html which are _exactly_ the same page. Don't be scared of numbers just because they remind you of math. They're easier to type and remember than the big words version. RS ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256562.005975E9.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:34:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect >They did possibly better when they were on Restless/Bar-None- a bunch of singles, and >several videos. I can't remember, though- anyone know why they left them and went to > Electra? I'm guessing big chunk 'o money, but maybe there's something else. I mean, >all Electra seems to have done is jerk them around and delay the release of albums and > singles and such, and not allow them to make videos any more. They left Restless/Bar None because they were getting too big. Restless/Bar None stated that they could not handle the volume TMBG was beginning to generate. TMBG left under good terms. I believe Restless/Bar None still would not be able to handle the volume TMBG generates today. I read this a year or two ago in an interview with someone from R/BN. I believe the Johns have said that it is their decsion not to make videos. They claim they are extremely boring to make. > Yeah, but there's still that mysterious altercation with Flans and Monopuff and all. > Who knows what went on, and so Ryko is probably not an option, really. > Boy, Flans is sure a testy guy- I mean, didn't half the original band members leave > because of some incident with him, or falling out or something? Although, I > can't quite imagine Linnell being a real easy-going person either. But I digress. >Stefanie Elliott What altercation with Flans and Monopuff? I hadn't heard anything about it. I am still not sure what happened with Ryko - whether there was a falling out between the two parties or if a legal matter came up that forced the split. As far as half the original band members leaving - there really were just the Johns in the early days. All the band members since then have left on good terms. Although the Bill Krause (producer) split was because of a falling out with Flans but I never got the details (and I have tried to find out at least 10 times - I like bill Krause's work). It does seem that both Johns can be difficult on given days but isn't every one from Boston like that!? ;) Erik ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712031731.AA02946@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:31:27 -0500 (EST) > What altercation with Flans and Monopuff? I hadn't heard anything about it. > I am still not sure what happened with Ryko - whether there was a falling > out between the two parties or if a legal matter came up that forced the > split. As far as half the original band members leaving - there really were > just the Johns in the early days. All the band members since then have left > on good terms. Although the Bill Krause (producer) split was because of a > falling out with Flans but I never got the details (and I have tried to > find out at least 10 times - I like bill Krause's work). It does seem that > both Johns can be difficult on given days but isn't every one from Boston > like that!? ;) Flans seemed baffled or reluctant to say why Brian Doherty left. It seemed to be some kind of bad parting but Flans was vague about the reason why when asked. He does seem uneasy talking about that. Surely it wasn't on "good terms". Steve Calhoun's the only original band member of Monopuff that I can think of that doesn't seem to be around and that might be because he couldn't tour or something like that. Heck, it was only Flans, Hal Cragin, and Steve Calhoun that originally made up Monopuff. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971203124633.0069dcd4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 12:46:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect At 12:31 PM 12/3/97 -0500, you wrote: >Flans seemed baffled or reluctant to say why Brian Doherty left. It >seemed to be some kind of bad parting but Flans was vague about the >reason why when asked. He does seem uneasy talking about that. Surely >it wasn't on "good terms". I remember seeing a quote someone posted where Flans said that he wished he had left on good terms. I'm very interested in knowing what occurred... >Steve Calhoun's the only original band member of Monopuff that I can >think of that doesn't seem to be around and that might be because he >couldn't tour or something like that. Heck, it was only Flans, Hal >Cragin, and Steve Calhoun that originally made up Monopuff. Steve does a lot of touring with Skeleton Key, his day job. I guess that eats up a lot of his time? -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:05:55 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Matthew James wrote: * Steve Calhoun's the only original band member of Monopuff that I can * think of that doesn't seem to be around and that might be because he * couldn't tour or something like that. Heck, it was only Flans, Hal * Cragin, and Steve Calhoun that originally made up Monopuff. WHAT??? There's no way you're right on that one. Mono Puff (it's two words :) was originally just Flans. Then, it was Mike Viola (why does no one remember him?) on lead guitars and harmony vocals and the other people you mentioned. I know it doesn't have him listed on the back of the album, but check out the insert, he's on it. Don't leave out the lead guitarist though. :) RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:37:49 -0500 Subject: TMBG: wahoo! Message-ID: <19971205.093752.2902.0.groovyfrankenstein@juno.com> From: groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) ifany one gets this ------------------------------ From: expo67@ix.netcom.com Message-ID: <3485F278.1303@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 15:59:52 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect > Steve Calhoun's the only original band member of Monopuff that I can > think of that doesn't seem to be around and that might be because he > couldn't tour or something like that. Heck, it was only Flans, Hal > Cragin, and Steve Calhoun that originally made up Monopuff. Steve hasn't been around lately because he's also the drummer for Skeleton Key and they've just signed with Capitol. Folks, we have to remember that Mono Puff is a side project- a fun thing for the guys in other bands to do when they're together. Sure, they rock. The Ryko split was because of the record company- they tried to push the first record more than it really should have been pushed and so, buh-bye Ryko. Many folks are leaving Ryko lately... including long time Ryko artists Morphine, who've recently signed to Dreamworks. what is the real cause? You be the judge... Amanda, who's listening to the brand new Rustic Overtones single "girl germs" right now... ------------------------------ From: expo67@ix.netcom.com Message-ID: <3485F2D4.6E3F@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 16:01:24 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: wahoo! > ifany one gets this then do a little dance? throw your hands in the air? then wave 'em like you just don't care? ahh... too hyper, kids. Too hyper. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:20:51 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: wahoo! Message-ID: On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Johnathan M Rapp wrote: > ifany one gets this ptomaine poisoning will ensue at elektra records headquarters... to prevent this, e-mail $1,000,000 to tmbg-list@tmbg.org do not pass go, do not stand on your own head for a change... ------------------------------ From: ForScience@aol.com Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 17:44:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <971203174430_882869498@mrin40.mx> Subject: Re: TMBG: 86-89??? Hello! I dont know if anyone is even looking for the 86-89 compilation, but i ordered the one from Restless with the Misc. T cover on the front from Burning Airlines.....their web page only tells the t-shirts they sell, but they have the address and phone number for a catalog and they carry tons of shirts, stickers, videos and other stuff..... the web address is....... http://www.igateway.com/mall/special/burning/index.htm NitpickR@AOL.com wrote...... Hey Adam, where did you find this?? :) Amber ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 14:03:03 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg record sales? Message-ID: <19971203.140556.15822.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> At the RIAA webpage (www.riaa.com?) The association we love to hate ( I was there doing research for a persuasive essay about legalization of bootlegs) has a serach engine that will accept artists names and tell you which records are gold/platinum/etc... when I went, Flood was listed as Gold... but, it might be worth checking again... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: On the Drag On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:55:47 -0500 (EST) PaulLB@aol.com writes: >Hey, > >I posted this to the NG a couple days ago with no response and thought >I'd >throw it out to the list. Does anyone know (or know where we can find >out) >TMBG record sales numbers on an album by album basis? Someone had >mention >that Flood had recently gone platinum. These numbers must be >available >somewhere. > >Yer Pal Paul > ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199712032344.SAA23056@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: The Ever Popular Tourtued Artist Effect Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:44:39 -0500 (EST) Erik writes: > > I believe the Johns have said that it is their decsion > not to make videos. They claim they are extremely boring to make. > I don't know... Flans has no problem with making videos for *other* bands when he gets the chance. I'm still leaning toward lack of company support as the underlying reason for the lack of recent videos. m@t ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Flans and Videos Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:21:09 -0500 Message-Id: <00195259300478@dancingink.com> > > I believe the Johns have said that it is their decsion > > not to make videos. They claim they are extremely boring to make. > > > > I don't know... Flans has no problem with making videos for > *other* bands when he gets the chance. I'm still leaning toward > lack of company support as the underlying reason for the lack of > recent videos. I do remember Flans commenting that he would much rather be doing concerts and recording new music than making a video. He said something along the lines of,"I would rather someone else just made them, I'm a musician, not a cinematographer" Of coarse that was before he did "the Guitar" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3485FFA2.25B0C21E@ibm.net> Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 19:56:02 -0500 From: ew0k Subject: Re: TMBG: 86-89??? > Minutes compilation from the 80's on video with Ana Ng> > > Hey Adam, where did you find this?? :) > I saw the 120 minutes video at Tower Records once and at Suncoast another time. Actually, I think I ordered it from Suncoast but when they called to tell me it was in I decided not to get it because I assumed it's just the music video and not live. I assumed this because I had in the meantime bought the 120 minutes CD which was the same way... I felt it wasn't worth it. I'm not that obsessive... or am I? :) -Robyn- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:55:44 -0700 Subject: TMBG: bootlegs Message-ID: <19971203.165859.3566.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! if anyone out there has any Lincoln bootlegs could you please e-mail me? =) thanks! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: newark, de Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 00:10:39 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd0072$f6dea4e0$5f47af80@rayst71-95.rayst.udel.edu> Just got back to my room ... one block away from the tmbg concert at the university of delaware... here's the set list which i managed to pick up: POLK NYC Hal's Cadenza w/Just Spots! ISTANBUL *SHOE glock DR. WORM PARTICLE *APE tape! Murph BIRD SPY --> BROOM --> GEORGIE IN D OLDER / DON'T DIG PET (no lights) --> *EXQUISITE* dat + heads TURN SEXXY ANA TWIST NO ONE/GTR -------------- *LIE stick GIRL TIL notes: flansburgh had the flu. He left the stage for some air and rest of band played Your Own Worst Enemy at some point. (I'll have to listen to the *tape* that I made to remember where). The didn't play Ana Ng or How Can I Sing Like a Girl... :< Lincoln opened... they were even better than the first time I saw them in Spetember.... The People vs. Apes thing was interesting... well I guess that's all I have to say... :> harlan [-] Harlan Landes -- hlandes@iname.com [-] "What do you need to know? I weep. I suffer. Farewell." [-] -- Musicologist Joseph Machlis on translating opera [-] from languages he doesn't know. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:08:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: aalalaaalaalalalalalaalaalaalaal Message-ID: <19971205.170854.2870.1.groovyfrankenstein@juno.com> From: groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) how many people, just a guess, does anyone think are on this list????? maybe todays just a slow day...........................000..............1101010001011010001101011010110000110110 ... .. . . .. ... maybe... ok well has any one heard anything on TMBG's next album? maybe a live one? do they have a live one already? J H R O N A P P ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712040601.AAA20476@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: aalalaaalaalalalalalaalaalaalaal Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 23:42:55 -0600 > > how many people, just a guess, does anyone think are on this list????? > Five. And they're all named Buffy. Sometimes they drink... > maybe todays just a slow > day.. "Actively Challenged", please. >...000..............1101010001011010001101011010110000110110 ... Binary or no, porno is not acceptable. > > ok well has any one heard anything on TMBG's next album? maybe a live > one? do they have a live one already? > Mike "We got a live one here!" Leffel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-337 ******************************