Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-339 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 339 Saturday, 6 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous, strange covers... Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and other bands. TMBG: um TMBG: um TMBG bass tabs TMBG: Fru for Few -and- Penny Candy Re: TMBG: um TMBG: TMBG & Davinci's notebook Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville (this one has a TMBG: TMBG Record Sales TMBG: OK, fruheads...help me Re: TMBG: OK, fruheads...help me TMBG: re: moxy fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: re: moxy fruvous TMBG: Pedro's Dictionaries TMBG: hey augie...scan THIS!!! TMBG: "Veronica" anyone??? TMBG: OMLT partial-TMBG: Brian Dewan TMBG: MiB Re: TMBG: MiB TMBG: Label split, bringing dance to this here stuffed shirt town Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971205003030.006e626c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 00:30:34 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous, strange covers... >Well from all the talk on the List about Moxy Fruvous I decided to order >Bargainville. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what song I should >listen to first? Thanx. :) Another potential Fruhead, folks. Chad, Matt, Josh, Sarah--let's abduct him to a.m.m-f. :) KING OF SPAIN. Track 10. One of the coolest songs in the history of the world. Then The Drinking Song (one of my favorites). Then Gulf War Song. Then... oh, heck, just play all of them. :) I did like the "random" idea. >As someone who has yet to hear anything from Fruvous, which CD would >y'all recommend to get acquainted with them? Only two Fru-albums are widely available in the states: '92's Bargainville (their debut, not counting their indie tape), and '96's You Will Go To The Moon. I recommend Bargainville to Fru-novices rather than YWGTTM. (For the same reason that I recommend Flood or Lincoln to TMBG-newbies rather than, say, Miscellaneous T--the material on the latter is just as strong but less accessible.) If you can find it, The B Album is also a good first choice. Just hold off on getting Wood or YWGTTM for now. >"Gentle" Ben - believes an accordion version of ANY Metallica song >would make the Billboard 100... There's some mighty bizarre covers out there, m'friend. Moxy Fruvous (good segue, huh?), for example, have graced the world with a rap version of Green Eggs and Ham, an AC/DC cover played on the banjo, and "Dancing Queen" performed on accordion. There's also Da Vinci's Notebook, who have arranged "Stairway to Heaven" for a barbershop quartet, but I won't even go there... >John Flansburgh has just confirmed that he'll be participating in a pair >of benefit concerts at the Bottom Line in NYC on Saturday, December 20!! TMBG and Rockapella on the same bill (well, only sort of, but still...) and me stuck in California. It breaks the heart. :( >while i'm at it, does anyone know if TMBG have already or plan to do a >show in Indianapolis (Indiana) ? Keep an eye on Pollstar (www.pollstar.com) and/or tmbg.com . Good luck. :) >i never have had the chance to see TMBG live and just wondered what its >like. If you're like me, you're the only TMBG fan within a 50-mile radius. You can always identify your car in the parking lot because it's the only one with a TMBG bumper sticker. Suddenly you find yourself surrounded by people wearing TMBG shirts, people who are as familiar with TMBG as you are. It's a pretty incredible experience. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Candy taste with every breath I take, exhaling icy mists of crystal in my wake; but the peppermint tingle I'm feeling in my soul is the candycane swirl of a world out of control..." --The House Jacks ("Saturnalia Smile") Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 03:50:59 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and other bands. Message-ID: OK, I want someone to be proud of me, too. I just bought 5 CDs. They are: Public Enemy: Fear of a Black Planet; Lincoln: Lincoln; Ween: The Mollusk; Ween: God, Ween, Satan, The Oneness; Moxy Fruvous: Bargainville. And all this was _before_ there was all this talk about people buying the Fruvous stuff. So can I be a good person, too? RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712051037.CAA20330@bargains.k-online.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: um Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 02:44:34 -0800 Do the people on this list actually own TmBG albums? Do they look at them? Do they know English? Because I've seen the record label spelled Electra 50 gazillion times since this whole label brouhaha... it's ELEKTRA... always has been... just pull out Factory Showroom or any other CD and it's spelled that way in several places... Actually I don't know why the Johns were unhappy with Elektra... they are a pretty good label despite being run by a major... they used to be an independent before being gobbled up... but there are several groups on the label that are quite happy with their contracts... I know the Cure has been pretty successful on Elektra... and the Cars were.... and Metallica.... very strange because I've never heard any of these other groups bitch and leave the label.... 10,000 Maniacs also.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:54:47 -0500 Subject: TMBG: um TMBG bass tabs Message-ID: <19971204.141220.2870.0.groovyfrankenstein@juno.com> From: groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) hey does anyone know if i can get TMBG bass tabs anywhere? J H R O N A P P ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3487EF6C.7674B0F0@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:11:30 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Fru for Few -and- Penny Candy >Personally, I'd say Bargainville is the best starter. Why you ask? >1) It can be bought in the US >2) It can sometimes be found in bargain bins for 8 bucks Try 99 cents. That's what I got mine for in a used bin. Barginsville indeed! (... and I didn't even have to ask for Roger.) Last week I found Candy Butchers' "Live at the Bonbonniere" for 40 cents! Even though I already bought it new a year ago, I couldn't pass it up. I thought one of you might like to trade me a TMBG boot for it. E-mail me if interested. If not, well, it was only 40 cents. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 09:26:52 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: um Message-id: <34880F2C.E880EB5E@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Charles Box wrote: > > Do the people on this list actually own TmBG albums? Do they look at them? > Do they know English? Because I've seen the record label spelled Electra 50 > gazillion times since this whole label brouhaha... it's ELEKTRA... always > has been... just pull out Factory Showroom or any other CD and it's spelled > that way in several places... No offense, dude, but I'd guess that most people on the list own lots of TMBG related CDs. But they don't spend their time worrying about spelling things correctly. As long as it is generally known what is being talked about, who cares? > Actually I don't know why the Johns were unhappy with Elektra... they are a > pretty good label despite being run by a major... they used to be an > independent before being gobbled up... but there are several groups on the > label that are quite happy with their contracts... I know the Cure has been > pretty successful on Elektra... and the Cars were.... and Metallica.... > very strange because I've never heard any of these other groups bitch and > leave the label.... 10,000 Maniacs also.... Most of us have no idea what it is like working for a Record Label. But the laws of logic say that just because these four things liked something, the fifth one doesn't have to. I would really hate to see the Johns thinking something like: JF: Wow, John. I really don't like Elektra. They aren't doing what we want them to do with _our_ band. JL: But hey, Metallica likes them. The Cars like them. Why don't we just like them too! JF: Hey, that's a good idea, John. We shouldn't make up our own minds at all. JL: Well, it's settled then! Have some coffee. The bottom line (woah, Freudian slip) is that the Johns aren't on Elektra anymore. They need a new label that will be more matched with their style of music and how it presents itself than Elektra was. We just hope they find it soon and it doesn't keep new CDs out of our little grubbing hands. - Chad "spelling America with a 'K' are we?" Maloney ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712051620.AA04262@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG & Davinci's notebook Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:20:44 -0500 (EST) > There's also Da Vinci's Notebook, who have arranged "Stairway to Heaven" > for a barbershop quartet, but I won't even go there... And remember, Da Vinci's Notebook & Fruvous collaborated at Omega Studios in Rockville, MD 2 months ago to cover Shoehorn with Teeth! I wonder what Da Vinci's Notebook release that'll be on? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:00:22 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous--Bargainville (this one has a Message-id: On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Gentle Ben wrote: > As someone who has yet to hear anything from Fruvous, which CD would > y'all recommend to get acquainted with them? Everyone is different, and everyone will like a little something different. Moxy Fruvous has 3 CD's plus 1 CD which is in a way like Misc. T. Bargainville and Moon are available in the states, while Wood and B are not yet, but will be soon. Here's what I think of these in terms of starter discs: 1. Bargainville. Prolly the best choice for a new TMBG convert. A lot of jumpy, accordion-filled tunes with snap. 2. Wood. Their second album, very different from the first -- quiet, introspective, mostly serious, and dare I say dark? As a Fruhead, this ended up being my favorite, but this may not be the best intro disc. 3. 'B'. Oh, what fun! 10 short and sweet satirical songs, no drums or bells and whistles. A lot of a capella numbers. Not bad intro, just short. 4. You Will Go To The Moon. Their new disc, my second intro choice. A little more, uhhh, mainstream? Good rhythmical songs, and a more varied sound. Great stuff. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Everything I need to know, I learned from IRC: 1. The entire world is from Rochester and Bowling Green. 2. "licks" is spelled with asterisks and capitals. 3. Hail Murray, full of bass." - Sirilyan, #MoxyFruvous ------------------------------ From: PaulLB Message-ID: <54dbe989.348836c8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:09:21 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG Record Sales Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Someone had suggested the RIAA web site to determine which TMBG albums had gone Gold or Platinum. It said Flood had been certified Gold 12/22/93. And that all. No info on actual sales numbers. Yer Pal Paul ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971205135902.006d7904@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 13:59:02 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: OK, fruheads...help me I am seeing Moxy Fruvous tomorrow night because I have a feeling I'll really like them. I am such a neophyte it hurts. What should I do so people don't look down on me? I have read as much as I can on the web, listened to some sound samples...but I still feel really...new. Oh well. Can you tell me anything to put me at ease? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:14:34 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: OK, fruheads...help me Message-id: <3488529A.ADFE1D3A@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Sara P Grady wrote: > > I am seeing Moxy Fruvous tomorrow night because I have a feeling I'll > really like them. I am such a neophyte it hurts. What should I do so people > don't look down on me? I have read as much as I can on the web, listened to > some sound samples...but I still feel really...new. Oh well. Can you tell > me anything to put me at ease? Tomorrow? That's Providence I'm guessing. Well, what I would do is: 1) Bring canned food and pick up a copy of the Music for the Needy CD that is being given out. I think you need to bring 2 or 3 items of canned goods. The CD has Fruvous on and others. 2) Just be a good concert goer. Don't yell out King of Spain during each quiet part because that is the one song you know. 3) Meet people. There are a bunch of NorthEast Fruheads that'll be there. Look for people with White buttons with a small yellow bird looking thing on it that say alt.music.moxy-fruvous and Have Modem Will Travel. Say hi to them. Tell them Chad said hi too =) 4) If you have time, stick around afterwards and meet the band. They come out and visit with people for awhile afterwards and they are all really nice. Don't be nervous about it or anything. Dave, Mur, Jian, and Mike are all normal people. Well, not normal, but you know what I mean *grin* Most of all, just don't worry about it. Go and listen to the show and enjoy it. You'll be quickly converted over at the first note... The Frulads put on the best show I've ever seen. Dance around and enjoy it! Before long you'll be Fruving with the rest of the crowd. And make sure you raise your hand high if Jian asks if there are any Fruvous virgins in the crowd. The deflowering experience is usually a really good one and it makes the guys feel good if there are a lot of new people in the crowd... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:04:37 -0600 Subject: TMBG: re: moxy fruvous Message-ID: <19971205.160440.3542.0.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) >It kinda depends on what you like. BJ (track 3) is a good full >instrumental tune that might start you out right. If you want >to easy into new stuff listen to Spiderman (second from last >track) first. If you don't know any french and wanna be confused >at first, Morphee is a there too =) my sister brought my moxy fruvous cd into her french teacher (without asking!!) to have him translate that song and he hasn't given it back yet...it's been over a month! she used to bug him about bringing it back, but he kept forgetting to listen to it or something. so, does anyone know the translation of the song? just wondering... Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~uin: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:23:25 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: re: moxy fruvous Message-id: <348870CD.4024D712@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Jessica J Woletz wrote: > my sister brought my moxy fruvous cd into her french teacher (without > asking!!) to have him translate that song and he hasn't given it back > yet...it's been over a month! she used to bug him about bringing it > back, but he kept forgetting to listen to it or something. so, does > anyone know the translation of the song? just wondering... www.fruvous.com has translations of the French songs Fruvous does contributed by fans (or friends of fans =). It has Nuits de Reve, Morphee (2 translations), and La Complainte Du Phoque En Alaska. Check the lyrics page in the alphabetical listing. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199712052218.OAA21698@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:18:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Pedro's Dictionaries --WebTV-Mail-1088927664-776 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT Before I tell you about this, LISTEN TO ME!!!! I have trouble writing to the list. Most of the time that I send messages to the list, it never gets to the list. HELP!! Hey all you Monkey Island fans, there is a third installment out called The Curse of Monkey Island. Personally, I have no idea what the hell Monkey Island is, but I heard about it on the news. Anyway, this page has Esperanto dictionaries!!!! YAHHH!! Danny Shapiro the award for the most confusing site in the world goes to: www.radiohead.com --WebTV-Mail-1088927664-776 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; X-URL-TITLE="Pedro's Dictionaries"; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pedro/dictionaries.html --WebTV-Mail-1088927664-776-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971205222244.9608.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Lauren Mullen" Subject: TMBG: hey augie...scan THIS!!! Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:22:43 PST *From: "AugieWan" *Subject: TMBG: tmbg stuff......... *Me again... I forgot to mention that I'm trying to put together an *interesting tmbg page for fans. In light of the ever-growing number *of MP3 sites out there, I want to try something different. What I *want to create is a TMBG Museum, display scans of all the tmbg *paraphernalia that I've collected along the way, Posters, mailings *from the fan club, shirts, pins, sheet music, whatever I can get my *hands on. SO, what this means is I need scans from all of you that *have access to scanners. I have alot of stuff, but I want LOTS MORE! *Let me know if you'll contribute. oh boy, do i have a surprise for you... i just happen to have some random TMBG goodies you could put to use: autographs, tickets, autographed posters & school binders (you'll see), setlists, and close up photos. i have been trying to start a page (two, technically...for an online magazine) and i need to scan my stuff anyhow. i'd be glad to get some of it to you...cooly? 'k then. -judyg TMBG QUOTE OF THE DAY: "I'm Doctor Worm. I'm interested in things...I'm not a real doctor, but I AM a real worm; I am an actual worm." http://homepage.usr.com/j/judyg98 hehehe. * Destination_Moon@yahoo.com * visit...i'll try not to bite. :o) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971205224113.3776.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Lauren Mullen" Subject: TMBG: "Veronica" anyone??? Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 14:41:13 PST *Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 17:11:49 -0500 *From: Adam Tyner *No 'Lowrider' on either of their CDs, but they have covered the Who, *--->Elvis Costello, Jimi Hendrix, and Rod Stewart, among others. While on the topic (sorta) of Elvis Costello, does anyone else out there think that the Johns could/should do great things with his song "Veronica"? I love TMBG and Elvis Costello, and having listened to the song lots, I'd love to hear Them do a version of it. ahh...the wonders of pipe dreams. -judyg * Destination_Moon@yahoo.com * http://homepage.usr.com/j/judyg98 (Where Your Eyes Don't Go: Ana's TMBG Page! *it's not spectacular, but it's mine...*) TMBG Quote of the minute: "I love the world and if I have to sue for custody, I WILL SUE FOR CUSTODY!!!" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971205154337.0068d35c@pop.kent.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 15:43:37 -0500 From: Huuuuutch Subject: TMBG: OMLT Christy: I just bounced two checks from the government, and since you waited a month to cash them, yours bounced too. If you would have cashed them one day sooner, it would have gotten through. I had to close out my account, and now I have no money. If you can't cancel my order, I will send you some more money. But that way the shirt would end up costing me $35 instead of $12. Oh well, it would be better than paying $22 for a bounced check and getting nothing at all. Sorry. Let me know if I should send $$ or if you can cancel me. -David H. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3488D5DC.5545@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 20:34:36 -0800 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: weckbuh (WECB) Subject: partial-TMBG: Brian Dewan Hi everyone! After a serious battle with the ethernet card, my roommate and I have given in to the power of dialing in. This, of course, after losing most of our internet software to a nasty virus. Anyone who wanted copies of the kit kat break, I no longer have your address and I need it again!!! Argh...just when I thought I'd get some of those out to people, too... Anyway, on a better note, Brian Dewan played on my live music show Wednesday night and it was wonderful! Everyone had a great time, and Brian even managed to wander around the rather maze-like building my radio station is located in. I was proud. He's almost done recording his next disc...it *should* be out next spring (fingers crossed). Umm... so, who's going to the Worchester show next week? I reserved *my* two tickets already, and when I called at 1:30, they were already swamped with phone calls. I'm happy, though, because the tickets are without the usual TicketGrabber charge of one million dollars. :) that was random. oh well. eat more cheese, all of you. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3488B338.E7BB3C8E@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 19:06:48 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: MiB I was just wondering if anyone caught that in Men In Black, the building they're based in is the Triborough Bridge, and Tunnel Authority building. Just thought you'd like to know :) Refund ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3488BC16.47DB@sympatico.ca> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 21:44:38 -0500 From: Ray Mootrey Organization: Ingredient Supply Co., Inc. Subject: Re: TMBG: MiB Nick Wolf wrote: > > I was just wondering if anyone caught that in Men In Black, the building > they're based in is the Triborough Bridge, and Tunnel Authority > building. > Just thought you'd like to know :) > Refund Not to mention the big scene at the '64 World's Fair grounds! -Sean. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3488F4A2.23DD@rica.net> Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 01:45:54 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Label split, bringing dance to this here stuffed shirt town I was chatting with the guy who gave me the info. about TMBG playing JMU before their web page or the list had the date, and asked him if anyone mentioned a split from Elektra. He said their manager, he didn't specify if it was James Kitman, told him that's why TMBG was touring so much, they and Elektra had parted ways and TMBG is entertaining offers. I give this info with the warning that it is third hand, but I'm inclined to believe it with all the other reports. Also the Frank Black video Flans directed was playing at 1:31 a.m. this morning on M2. Then for some reason that annoying Van Halen song about the teacher came on, reinforcing my avoidance of M2. Joey, gotta cut loose, footloose ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-339 ******************************