Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-34 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 34 Tuesday, 4 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Last I dreamt I Had Burning Hands.... TMBG: My Dream TMBG: Poetics/Spiraling Shape Re: TMBG: whoa... Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-33 TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... TMBG: dreams and stuff Re: TMBG: dreams and stuff TMBG: Dreams and 'Tornadoes'... TMBG: TMBG dream quotes!!! Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? TMBG: various musicians TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows Re: TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... TMBG: mst3k and others, dream, mono puff, etc. Re: TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... RE: TMBG: WHITHER ERIC? TMBG: DAS Online TMBG: My Weird Dream TMBG: Hello Everybody! TMBG: Re: TMBG : The Dream Re: TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows TMBG: Hello Everybody2! TMBG: TMBG earth songs TMBG: WNEW TMBG: Then and the Valentine's Day show! =) Re: TMBG: various musicians TMBG: One more left!!! TMBG: WNEW Tapes TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-33 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 06:17:22 -0500 From: Jon Vile <106563.656@compuserve.com> Subject: TMBG: Last I dreamt I Had Burning Hands.... Message-ID: <199702030617_MC2-10AE-8E82@compuserve.com> >>I'd also like to say that I'm feeling rather left out at never >>having adream about Them - any tips on how to have one? >Hee hee, well, I elaborated on Jordan's tip of how to have a lucid dream - >thinking over and over "I will have a lucid dream.." from dinner till bed - >into "I will have a Kids in the Hall dream" And I did in fact have a KITHy >dream. You could try it! I have to try TMBG now.. :) You know this actually works, I did it. I've only just woken up, so this is goping to be quick else I forget. It woeks anyway. Well sort of, I had my head full of TMBG last night, I download Edison and Guitar.mov (which didn't work!) at about midnight and fell asleep listening to the pink album. I had also had pork for dinner, I don't know if that made any difference but it sure made me sleepy, you know the kind of sleepy where you can't sleep. Anyway, there I was in this dream. Obviously a dream, I knew it was because there was a big sign painted on the wall: This is a dream. This was a public service announcement. I got out of bed and went outside my room and I was backstage at the only UK gig They were going to do, but Flans wanted to go incognito and see what the auidence really thought. So he asked me to play for him. Um I can't play guitar I said (because I can't) and he said don't worry and gave me his gloves. They werer white like Bugs Bunnys and had Flans' magic Gloves on them. I could plpay the guitar and play it well. We wnet on stage and I could see Flans jumping around in the auidence talking to my girlfriend. I can't remeber much else, except Flans let me keep his gloves and he better not had formed the whole idea of what the UK fans think of them because she hates them. hey, i don't dream much but when I do I tend to dream wierd. To dream about aomething think about it a lot, that does usually work for me. But the trouble is you can't make yourself do it either, so like listen to the music, watch the vids, read your VISA bill and find CDBanzi have remove #6 and not sent you the CD yet (its supposed to be Why Does The Sun Shine). Hope it works, enjoy your dreams. Jon P.S. oh yeah, I noticed, Happy Birthday Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970203074743.00699c10@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 07:47:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: My Dream I just remembered... A while ago I dreamed that I went to Media Play and they had all the TMBG singles on the shelf. They also had a S~E~X~X~Y single w/ 9 tracks (The normal ones plus some remixes) and I bought it and all the remixes really sucked. Boring, isn't it? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 08:34:36 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Poetics/Spiraling Shape Message-ID: Hmm. I was looking through my literature book right now and happened across a poem by A. R. Ammons that begins in this way: I look for the way things will turn out spiraling from a center, the shape things will take to come forth in Thought this sounded like a Spiraling Shape. The rest of the poem is discussing form in nature and in poems... it might have something to do with the song. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 08:47:01 -0500 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: whoa... >In attempting to sequence Nightgown of the Sullen Moon, I have come >across the problem of not being able to figure out the time signature, I would sequence it in 2/4. That way, you've got: 1 e + a 2 e + a fell in the door and you fell on the floor with your hand on the knob look- ing up and a- brup- tly for- get what you're thin- king fire a- larms go off in your head you live in the So it's 16th, 16th, 16th, 16th tied to eighth, and then two sixteenths. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Anything that is weird in R2 is also weird in R." -- Professor Stensones "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:27:21 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, That rascal Eric Webber wrote: ** Them live with Eric and my opinion totally changed. He wasn't intrusive at ** all. He wasn't even on stage half the time. I think the only song that he ** played on that he didn't play on originally (non-FS) was Particle Man and ** on stage. I'm not worried about all of this. There was lots of fighting ** about Them getting the other guys when They did John Henry but now pretty ** much everybody accepts them as part of the band. I think the same will ** happen with Eric if he stays around for a while. First of all, may I point out that Eric threw some guitar work into Exquisite Dead Guy (bah!), and now he's all over They Got Lost? Hope he doesn't ruin these... He's not that intrusive, but it looks as if he thinks he's some sort of godly art rocker or something! He's off in his own little world, and he plays guitar like he's got Tourette's Syndrome. Little bouts of random guitar fits. I just don't think it fits (nevermind...). He's pretty fast, and he probably fits in other bands, but either A) He can't write stuff for TMBG, or B) TMBG can't write stuff for him. I liked his work on the part of SEXXY where 2 guitars come in (about 10 seconds worth), about 4 seconds of XTCVAA, and all of Pet Name, which is about the only extended guitar work of his (from FS) I actually like. Note how they cleverly omit the solo at the end of Pet Name in concert. I also liked him alot on Counterfeit Faker (_that_ song is perfect for whatever style he plays it in), but I seem to remember that it got changed somehow and now is not as good? Places where he's completely inappropriate and almost embarrasing: TMHFO, HCISLAG. Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! Who decided those solos should stay in? Give me accordion, clarinet, saxophone or horns over _this_ type of guitar work anyday. However, I _do_ like Jay Sherman-Godfrey and Lyle Workman. I think I heard a good guitar solo on Van Halen's Right Now, if anyone wants to hear melodic, smooth guitar soloing, but I could be wrong. Also, may I point out that Brian and Graham and the horn section are just enhancing what TMBG already had? People were objecting, at JH's time, to having people play what TMBG already had, just because they didn't want live players. They had no specific qualms about Brian or Tony or whoever (at least I don't think they did). I (we?) don't like Eric's work specifically, and I don't think his position is necessary or even desireable. I do think Brian and Graham and horns and strings or whatever arrangement they go with are very cool, and I also think their positions in general are desireable. And, to whoever said that we had no say over who stayed in the band or not: I didn't mean to imply that the fans actually had any say over whether certain band members should leave, I was just saying that we should kick Eric out of our little fan band... well, nevermind... RS, trying to stir up some discussion of TMBG's work ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:14:47 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-33 Message-ID: Just for everyone's info: you can still access Edison and I'm presuming in the future, the rest of the songs direct from the directory: http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound/ \\\\ (' ') []/------------------------------\[]/-----------------ooOo-( )-oOoo------\[] [] Josh Woodward [] "You're older than you've ever been, [] [] joshw@tmbg.org [] and now you're even older, and now [] [] http://www.bgsu.edu/~joshw [] you're even older, and now you're [] [] UCS Help Center Consultant [] even older." -- TMBG [] []\---------TMBG #20999----------/[]\------------------------------------/[] There is no future, there is no past; thank God this moment's not our last. There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today. -- Jonathan Larson (1960-1996), "Rent" v ------------------------------ From: "Julie Baker" <> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:46:06 EST5EDT Subject: TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... Message-ID: <28D3EC8282B@falcon.gdn.peachnet.edu> Hi there, all!:) Last week, I had this really cool/wierd experience... I'm a major fan of the XFiles, and (if any of you out there watch XF) there was an episode where a guy got his head cut off, but it didn't get rigor mortis...Scully was doing an autopsy on the head, and it blinked and moved it's mouth. Later on in the week, I was listening to FS, and I heard Exquisite Dead Guy..". . .Swear I saw his mouth move..." Just had to share...:) Julie, the friendly cerulean blue wierdo :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ "Normal is not what I think." -Fox Mulder ~ ~ It is up to ppl like you an me who are out of our tiny little minds~ ~ to try and help these ppl overcome their sanity. ~ ~ DECIEVE INVEIGLE OBFUSCATE ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:11:47 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: dreams and stuff Message-ID: > > From: "Tim Clark" > Subject: TMBG: TMBG at Circuit City > Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 13:41:35 -0500 > Message-Id: <199702021842.3360000@rma.edu> > > AH HA! I said (outloud) Who's playing TMBG?! The > deskworker said "Thats me! My co-workers hate it!" Thats cuz they suck I > said. Then I noticed that this girl was rather cute! WHOOOHOOO!! So I told > her I was buying Mono Puff. She was rightly impressed. I must go hang out > at Circuit City more often... > --Cpdog > You know, TMBG does indeed possess the strange power of bringing people together. Several months ago, my TMBG t-shirt provided a conversation starter between myself and another like-minded TMBG fan, which resulted in a date, which I happily reported to the list--well, it went well, 'cause we're still together several months later. I remember luring him into visiting me by telling him I had a TMBG video bootleg we ought to watch. Worked like a charm. :) Anyway, about all these TMBG dreams....how are you all doing this??? Do you have to eat something really weird before you go to bed, or what? Actually, I guess I did sorta have a TMBG dream once, but it wasn't very exciting. I just dreamed that I worked in this one coffeehouse in Lincoln and that They came in for coffee and they knew me. Flans didn't even say anything funny or call Linnell a dumbshit or anything. My friend keeps dreaming about seeing Them in discount stores, though. Her TMBG dreams are pretty weird. :) (Post the Wal-Mart dream, Kylee!) One more thing--Is the guy from Omaha still on the list? If you're still there--I'm from Lincoln, and I was just wondering if there are any places in the Omaha/Lincoln area where you've been able to find TMBG singles. I'm just curious, now that Homers tells me they've stopped carrying TMBG singles because of "low demand". Bah. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:05:34 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: dreams and stuff Message-ID: On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: ** Anyway, about all these TMBG dreams....how are you all doing this??? Do ** you have to eat something really weird before you go to bed, or what? Anyone who wants to know how to influence what you dream about, and how to remember what you dream, drop me a note. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970203201851.00664d34@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 15:18:51 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Dreams and 'Tornadoes'... I had a TMBG dream recently... I was watching TV when Flans came on playing an oboe. Linnell walked on for a minute, and I got really excited... Then I woke up... Pretty lame, but a dream nonetheless... Anyway, is the full version of Tornadoes... going to be posted soon? The song ends rather abruptly...if they're not going to have the full thing, they could at least fade out or find a better place to stop... DAS Online is still really cool though. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 11:37:15 Subject: TMBG: TMBG dream quotes!!! TMBlisters- As of now I'm collecting TMBG dream quotes. At the end of the day I'll post them to my website at http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/towers/ 2900. So help me out and email me those dream quotes! mouse "You live here? I'm sorry." John Flansburgh, TMBG dream ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:49:04 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: Re: TMBG: Whither Eric? Message-ID: I think that John and John still write the songs so they're responsible for telling Eric what to play. I'm sure he dosen't play whatever he feels. Also I'd like to say that I think people are wrong for saying that Eric is arrogant or something. Has anyone ever talked to him or read an interview? Just cause he looks self-confident on stage dosen't mean he thinks he's the greatest. Last time I saw them he just looked really happy to be up there playing. He came in second only to Brian in the amount of smiling on stage (I think Brian must have been hihg cause he was smiling an awful lot). Certainly he seemed happier than Flans and a lot less bored then Lin looked. That's part of the reasonI changed my mind about him. You say that the other guys like Brian aren't a big deal because they are just playing instruments that TMBG already used. Well, why then does JH sound so much different then all the stuff before it. I think that FS (with Eric) sounds more like the old stuff than JH does. For the record, I was one of the guys who didn't like the full-band idea when JH came out but I changed my mind and accepted that too. That's the direction They want to go. The music still sounds good so I'll still listen to it regardless of how many guitarists They get. Take it easy, Wubba * ------------------------------------------------------------------ |Eric Webber- | "We intend to offend and alarm | |erwst9+@pitt.edu | and annoy" -The Penis Wolves | |wubba@tmbg.org | "Maturity is a high price to pay| |http://www.pitt.edu/~erwst9 | for growing up" -Tom Stoppard| * ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702032047.AA03039@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: various musicians Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:47:51 -0500 (EST) Hello, Methinks that any artist TMBG brings into their fold is there because of either a creative talent or because John & John saw a certain element within this person initially that made them want this musician. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that they got *the* best musician for the job for every spot (drummer, bass, guitar, horns, whatever) since some musicians just aren't free to collaborate or they don't want to or whatever. I'm certain that the Johns set out certain criteria, though, in which they would pick up another musician. Now keep in mind that a musician can change, or can be deceiving initially in appearance and not play the way They initially thought. Eric has been playing with them for a while, though, so I'd guess they're at least somewhat happy with his guitarwork. But, as has been said before, his role in the group is more part-time than full-time, as he does not play on all of the songs. So I see Eric as a welcome addition to TMBG by TMBG or else they would have never asked him to play initially and to continue to play (course he has been in Hawaii aa while it seems! ;) Also, with this, I feel that any musician they pick up will try and lend any creative talent they can to the band. So Eric may have persuaded them to put in these solos that he does, or TMBG may have had that in mind even before they got Eric, or even before they even thought of having eric fill this role. This is a question only the Johns can answer. There is the theory that, maybe they would "try out" this style and see if it fits in to the music and if people will like it. Granted Eric has been with the band for a while, but it's hard to tell if they know if it works, yet. We might see depending on the fate of Erc and his guitar. In any case, TMBG must have at least initially liked Eric's work as well as the music he plays or else why the heck would they pay him all the money he's making? (I'm sure he's making a pretty good amount, even though I'm sure he makes no where near the amount John & John make) Any thoughts? Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970203205619.0069342c@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 15:56:19 -0500 From: Perry Lee Subject: TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows Just wanted to know if anyone was going or had heard about the Feb. 13th show at Tower Records in Paramus, or if anyone could provide directions to the 28th show at Irving Plaza in NYC. Thanks. Quux * ------------------------------------------------------------ |whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| * ------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F6561D.5212@wwnet.com> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 16:18:46 -0500 From: dstange Subject: Re: TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... Julie Baker wrote: > I'm a major fan of the XFiles, and (if any of you out there watch XF) > there was an episode where a guy got his head cut off, but it didn't > get rigor mortis...Scully was doing an autopsy on the head, and > it blinked and moved it's mouth. Later on in the week, I was listening > to FS, and I heard Exquisite Dead Guy..". . .Swear I saw his mouth > move..." He wasn't done, even after his head fell off. =) I think it would be great is a TMBG tune was background music for an episode, like where that James song "Ring the Bells" was a theme through the episode with the human lightning rod. (Can't remember episode titles.) I watch the X-files religiously, but never saw any way it could be tied to TMBG. Until now. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:26:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203142608_-1576717671@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: mst3k and others, dream, mono puff, etc. >Maybe I should switch to decaf.... Well what's the purpose of *that*? >:D >From: Insomneeak@aol.com What a great freakin' screen name. :) >There seems to be a LARGE crossover between TMBG and >MST3K fans. Funny you should say that - I am wearing my MST3K shirt right now. :) >I guess great minds have the same interests? :> Yes! :) Okay- here's some acronyms for example: TMBG, KITH, BNL, and MST3K. If you aren't into one of those, you should, because they're all part of our little cult followings. :) And I'd like to praise Nathan Todd's post (Re: the "Racist bullshit - farewell losers" thread)- rather than quote it - just say, it was *fantabulous*. :) >Well, it turns out that they were doing a concert in my >house, Whooooooooa..Trippy eh? I had a dream a couple nights ago that the *BNL* were giving a concert in my house! What is going on...? The encore was in the front yard, and I found a spot (had to find a spot on my own lawn!) with a bunch of Marylin Manson fans.. :\ >So there I was...having FINALLY discovered Mono Puff at >circuit city Oh wow, this reminds me of something kind of dumb, but I'll share anyways . Last month I was at Lechmere, and browsing for Mono Puff-- yes, I have Unsupervised *and* TDWDTN (thanks to Green Jello!)-- but I still seek out MP everytime.. why? The same reason I go to the TMBG section. Maybe they've secretly released a new album, who knows . No actually, what I do is put the good cd's in the front. :) And I saw 5, count em *5* Mono Puff cd's! So I took 4 and put them in front, and the other I flipped over and put in the next row in front (so they could see "John Flansburgh"). Aaaannnd.. yes, I need to get a life... sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:57:06 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Tying in two of my passions... Message-ID: > I think it would be great is a TMBG tune was background music for an > episode, like where that James song "Ring the Bells" was a theme through > the episode with the human lightning rod. (Can't remember episode > titles.) I watch the X-files religiously, but never saw any way it > could be tied to TMBG. > Until now. > Actually, that same episode (I forget the title as well...so shoot me) also includes Filter's "Hey Man Nice Shot". Both songs fit quite well into the show...I just wish they could do more episodes with that kind of music. I'd be even more hooked... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu Bill's House of Boots: http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html "I can't stop smiling and I don't know why I want to anyways..." --Velocity Girl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702032205.RAA18419@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 17:01:15 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: WHITHER ERIC? I don't have a problem with Eric being in the band. I did wonder while watching the show, what's the point? He was only on stage for maybe half the show I saw. It's not as if he's playing glockenspiel or oboe or something--he's a lead guitarist without too much lead guitar to play. I felt bad for him, having to spend half the show offstage picking from the buffet table. Easy money, I guess. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: Rolling Stones - _Hot Rocks_ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:01:15 -0500 From: "Linda S. & RoseAnne W." Message-ID: <32F66E3B.1D52@shore.intercom.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: DAS Online For those of you looking for the Edison Museum recording that was on dial-a-song last week, go to http://www.tmbg.com/dial/sound RoseAnne Wiles ------------------------------ From: Cbuczek@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:19:57 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203155428_136769308@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My Weird Dream It seems a lot of people are having strange TMBG dreams a lot lately, and I had one myself last night. Here's the premise: I was at school, and TMBG (just John and John, no back-up band) were going to be there later in the day. The whole school was in the auditorium, and Flans and Linnell came up on stage: Flans only had his guitar, and Linnell only had his accordion. They started with a few of their greatest songs, but then Linnell said, "All right. John and I are going to take requests. Yell out a song that you'd like to hear and we'll try to play it for you." Now there were many different songs being yelled out, and one of my friends kept yelling out, "Play Metallica!" And so, Flansburgh put down his guitar and Linnell started playing "Enter Sandman" on accordion. (Note: I don't think anyone yet besides me has had a dream where Linnell played heavy metal on accordion, and this was one interesting thing. If only this were reality...) In this dream They also played other songs (such as a couple BNL songs, a very weird version of the Tragically Hip's "Nautical Disaster", etc.) Then I woke up. Thank you. ______________________________________________________________________ Chris Buczek Cbuczek@aol.com "Everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around." - John Linnell "...I am an alien. To observe you I must keep you stoned." - Martin Tielli "No dress rehearsal, this is our life." - Gordon Downie ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702032354.RAA11274@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Hello Everybody! Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:44:39 -0600 Wahoo! A TMBG mail list! Finally, people of a They kind... :) Anyway, I just noticed that a few people have been having TMBDreams, and I have one to speak of as well! My first one was a couple of months ago. I was in my friend's basement watching Television. My friend wasn't home, and I got the sense that his bedroom was his brothers and his brothers bedroom was his. Then, Flansburg came in with Linnell, and left. (I got the feeling that these were EVIL TMBG). Then I woke up. My friend moved away for college a few weeks later. Three months after that, he came home for christmas. When we went to his place, I was shocked to find that his little brother TRADED BEDROOMS. That was all, though. Except for my friend seeing They during college, and They coming to Omaha (Nebraska..with hootie...ugh) shortly after. Then, two days ago, I had a dream where our mall was redesigned, and TMBG set up HQ there. I entered the mall, trying to find They, but I couldn't as it resembled a rollerrink and I was perpetually spinning in confusion, oddly following a girl I knew around... And then last night, I had a dream that I was going to go to a TMBG concert in South Dakota as soon as I got ready, but I couldn't ever get dressed and I kept spining around in the same place in my room, getting more frustrated with every tick of the clock. The surrounding feeling was like when I had to get up early early in the morn to go out of town for debate. Nutty. I can neither explain how I dreamed them, nor did either Giant give me any verbal utterance. But, it is all true. Well, I'm sure that was twenty times more than any of you cared to know, but thanks for listening. Mike "A Sad Pun That Reflects A Sadder Mess" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG : The Dream Message-ID: <19970203.150605.4663.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:50:00 EST Heh, did you happen to get a tape of those remixes you dreamed of? If so, I'd like to get a copy. Larry "I use antlers in all of my decorating." - Gaston, "Beauty and the Beast" http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 19:30:53 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203173910_1827246276@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows >or if anyone could provide directions to >the 28th show at Irving Plaza in NYC. Thanks. >Quux go to www.irvingplaza.com (I am not sure if there is a hyphen or not). Then in the bottom frame, go to about. There will be a cool map. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702040121.TAA12979@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Hello Everybody2! Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 19:17:10 -0600 Sorry to return, but I this minute found a website that spoke of a contest to design a shirt for the mailing list, am I correct??? Well, I'm a cartoonist and I would LOVE to do something like this! Is the contest still on?? Is this the mailing list of which it spake?? HOO? Sorry. I just haven't drawn anything productive for a while and I became excited.... I'm not rabid or anything. ..much. ..anymore.. Mike "Don't hate me because I've killed the Beautiful People" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 20:31:09 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203175429_915402222@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG earth songs I was wondering...At school I am supposed to make posters advertising our school's ever so cool Earth Faire and I was just thinking it would be cool if I could bombard the posters with subtle TMBG references...can anyone think of lines from songs or images off-hand that have an environment-earthy theme to it??? Oh yeah, e-mail me privately, please. thank you!! -phurr ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 20:37:28 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203173746_175501890@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: WNEW Thanks to Cortney for letting me know. For anyone that didn't listen last night, at 9:00 pm, WNEW NY had TMBG on for TWO HOURS! I got it all on tape. It opened up with New York City played off of the CD. Then They began talking when WNEW's host asked them to play songs from each album. For the first album, they played the first few seconds of each song. This was all unrehearsed, which explains why they messed up a few times. It was only the two of them with out their drum machine so it sounded unique! From Lincoln: Ana Ng (sounded great) From Flood: Road Movie to Berlin (messed up after first part) Particle Man (to make up for RMTB) From Apollo18:Dinner Bell (messed up after first chorus--started again) From John Henry:Meet James Ensor (followed by a whole discussion about him) From Fac. Show.: I Can Here You (with spec. effect to sound like wax cylinder) Then they played some unreleased/non-album songs: I' m a drag You're Older Than You've Ever Been Then they played Polk. There was also a HUGE discussion about Xena the Warrior Princess (boring) It took up two sixty minute tapes. If anyone wants a copy, the first TWO people that respond I will inform to send me two tapes. (I'll supply postage) There are a few 2sec breaks from when I switched/turned the tapes. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 21:21:16 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Then and the Valentine's Day show! =) Message-id: <01IEZRUM1PJWCCIPKH@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! I just resubscribed to the list after my lengthy winter break, and, since I've been pretty much out of the TMBG loop, I have a couple of questions! (My apologies, I hate to bring up topics which I'm sure have already been discussed, I'm sorry!) Anyway, the release date posted for Then (at a local music store) is February 11th. However, I'm sure that this date is incorrect - *is* there a definite release date yet? (sometime in March, I think?) Also, I've heard of bunches of people going to the show on the 21st... Is anyone out there going to be at the Valentine's Day show? If so, I'd love to meet up with ya, I'll be there with bells on! =) On a related note, today I went to TicketMaster, and the tickets that cost only $15 dollars at the door cost $21 through TM!!!! Ouch, that's more than a 30% mark-up for the service charge! But, on the bright side, it still cost less than other shows I've been to. Besides, it's definitely worth it for TMBG! =) Thanks for your time, have a They day! =) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970203223544.006cb654@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 22:35:46 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: various musicians Nothing to do withg the original post... I've only been a fan for about a year and a half now, can someone tell me the story of their various bass players (Like why Brian plays on WDTSS? and then only a few tracks on JH, and now he's full time) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:19:58 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203205913_-1677324286@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: One more left!!! There is only one more opening for the WNEW tapes with many songs and 2 hours worth of interviews. Act now! Joel ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:12:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970203213900_1246599870@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: WNEW Tapes There are no more tapes. I am not accepting orders anymore for WNEW tapes. Thanks for playing! :) Sorry, Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:41:16 -0500 (EST) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-33 Message-ID: Is there any webpage up with a recording of "They Got Lost"? People keep talking about it, but I haven't heard it at the concerts I've been to. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-34 *****************************