Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-344 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 344 Thursday, 11 December 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG Merchandise NON-TMBG: Lincoln Re: TMBG: survey TMBG:(for those who REALLY REALLY want a challenge!) TMBG: WPI meeting place Re: TMBG: Ivy TMBG: Re: Ivy and John Henry Tour. Fw: TMBG: Re: Ivy and John Henry Tour. TMBG: BMG TMBG: non-tmbg : response to leffel post =) Fw: TMBG: non-tmbg : response to leffel post =) TMBG: tapes TMBG: The almighty Quiznoholio (none) TMBG: President Lincoln TMBG: acquired tastes TMBG: my 11/21 rochester tmbg pics TMBG: BMG TMBG: TMBG at WPI (none) TMBG: Re: TMBG: Merchandise Re: TMBG: more nickelodeon references Re: TMBG:(for those who REALLY REALLY want a challenge!) Re: TMBG: Merchandise Re: TMBG: Maine shows Re: TMBG: BMG TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: A common rumor dispelled Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <348DC3F2.5AEE@bitel.es> Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 23:19:30 +0100 From: Enrique Alberich Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Merchandise > > > I hate snail > mail. > Last year I ordered a full set of 1996 edition Hello Cd of the month club. They cashed all the money from my credit card but I have never received John Linnell and hal sirowitz ep's. So, you better be carefull next time, Johns, because I am a lawyer. Fernando "you don't let me other way" Alberich. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 03:28:31 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: NON-TMBG: Lincoln Message-ID: Someone asked who the lead singer of Lincoln reminded them of. It just smacked me in the forehead (or was that my hand?)! The singer from Presidents of the USA!!! Listen to the first song on the Lincoln CD, and then listen to something like "Dune Buggy" or "Volcano," and tell me if you think so. RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <348E73B1.3BBEC0CB@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 02:49:25 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: survey "...About a month or so ago I posted asking if anyone was interested in an update, i.e. a new survey. I asked people to e-mail me if interested in participating, and I got a whopping 14 responses. Knowing that there are many more people on the list than that, I decided to give up on the idea. If people really want to see a new survey, e-mail me at wt3@cec.wustl.edu and let me know. Again, if enough people seem interested, I'll do it. Otherwise, oh well. See ya." Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu I must of missed your post from a month ago but thats a damn good you have. ( http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html )Very informative and nicely done. I missed out on participating the first time but I'm ready for the update, if there is one. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "I dance with my feet like my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <53e18dda.348c6858@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:03:12 EST Subject: TMBG:(for those who REALLY REALLY want a challenge!) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Someday at sometime, somebody wrote: >>- jessica (for those who REALLY REALLY want a challenge!) actually, this song is very easy to interpret, you've just got to do it from the perspective of the right band. As we all know it's an Allman Brothers song (am I right?), if I remember correctly, it was written about one of their relatives, kind of a nice, happy, I love my relatives song....if anybody wants to try to interpret why the Johns covered it, well...i think sometimes people look for meaning too hard. also, I'm still looking for an accordian note (in wav format) at middle C (or a chord or whatever you call them on the accordian)...so, I'm going to post that i'm looking for one until I actually get one. (Augiewan sent me an offer, but he doesn't have his accordian with him, so it would take him so time, but I thank him a lot, anyway). oh, by the way, I was reading the last TMBG digest & was freaked out when someone posted something about Fuzzy Monk or something like that. Mainly, because last year sometime, I played with a band called Munk, & they were jerks, so if anyone ever hears about a band called Munk (aka Aissa), they suck & don't support them....ok...I'm speaking negatively of bands, oh well.... Jason "I like poop" Glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971210083559.006e07b4@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:35:59 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: WPI meeting place I don't got to WPI, but I know I am going to get there about 2-2 1/2 hourse early. I'll be there with my 15 yr old sister and a guy from UMass Lowell who I was kind enough to give a ride to. (applause)I talk really loud, so if you walk up to a crowd and yell "Hey Sara!", I will wave my arms and talk even louder, and right to you, too!! See you there! Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Ivy Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:03:47 -0500 Message-Id: <14020081200579@dancingink.com> Apartment Life is a great album. It's the only Ivy album I have because out here in Buchanan,MI there aren't a whole bunch of their first two albums floating around. :( I was pretty excited when I found it though, I've been looking for a long time..... since I saw them open for TMBG in Kalamazoo,MI. a few years back. Hey, anybody else get DUMPED on with snow last night? I did! Power went out and all. It was fun until my three kids woke up screaming and the house temp dropped to about 50 deg F. Icky! I love the snow-belt! ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:24:45 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: TMBG: Re: Ivy and John Henry Tour. Message-ID: mmm...when I saw THEM about four years ago at some cenral New York college there was an opening band called Ivy. i was wondering if they are the same as the wonderful Ivy with the guy from Fountains of Wayne (i.e. the band with the recent album Apartment Life). If anyone can help me out i would be oh-so-grateful! love olivia. p.s. see you at Worchester! ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: Re: Ivy and John Henry Tour. Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:33:01 -0500 Message-Id: <14311410900011@dancingink.com> > mmm...when I saw THEM about four years ago at some cenral New York college > there was an opening band called Ivy. i was wondering if they are the same > as the wonderful Ivy with the guy from Fountains of Wayne (i.e. the band > with the recent album Apartment Life). If anyone can help me out i would > be oh-so-grateful! I would figure then to be the same band. Female(dark haired) singer. From NY. Yup Yup! ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712101432.AA07302@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: BMG Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:32:31 -0500 (EST) Hehey! I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard anything bad about them. The good thing is, BMG can fill their catalog with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 07:52:16 -0700 Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg : response to leffel post =) Message-ID: <19971210.075221.4454.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! >I tell you, it's just about as exiting as going into a STAPLES >store, and crying out "WHERE THE HELL DO YOU >KEEP THE *STAPLES*?!?!?" hehee... go into mcdonalds and ask "does the quarter pounder with cheese come with cheese?" =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***AQUABATS...saturday...two shows..woohoo!*** ***ROYAL CROWN REVUE... monday...free...woohoo!*** ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: non-tmbg : response to leffel post =) Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:00:32 -0500 Message-Id: <14594259300050@dancingink.com> > hehee... go into mcdonalds and ask "does the quarter pounder with cheese > come with cheese?" =) personally, I like to order a cheeseburger, hold the cheese. :) You kind of get the same look as you do the first time someone hears you playing TMBG. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:24:54 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: tapes Message-Id: I am looking for the FS sessions, and Stumpbox. I have nothing to trade, but I have monies. Liam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <348EC9FA.23B33340@nmt.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:57:30 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: The almighty Quiznoholio I once went to a Quizno's in St. Louis and ordered a BLT sub sandwich. The clerk asked me if I wanted Lettuce and Tomato on it... Does that sound at all intelligent to you? Refund. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971210142752.006c619c@pop.erols.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:27:52 -0500 From: Christopher Spangler >> I don't know why TMBG didn't enjoy greater commercial success after >> Flood with Apollo 18, I started listening in, oh, late '93? Was it >> publicity? The album itself? Alright, this is coming from someone you _may_ consider to be a "Floodie". Flood was my first album, and I bought it when it came out (1990) because I heard "Birdhouse..." on the radio, thought it was fun, catchy, and unique, and wanted to hear what else they had to offer. Really, I was quite disappointed. Only a few songs on the album appealed to me. I wore out the portion with "Birdhouse..." on it. I bought a promotional copy of "Apollo 18" maybe three years later in a used-music store, and thought it was _awful_. I didn't like _anything_ on it. I don't know when the turning point occurred, but recently I became a TMBG junkie. I now have Flood (original tape and CD), Apollo 18 (promo tape and commercial CD), John Henry (CD), Factory Showroom (CD; autographed by both Johns, it's my prized possession), Then (disc one is in my car CD player, and disc two is in my CD-ROM drive as I write this, playing the Joshua Fried remix of "The World's Address", which I think is kinda neat), and a handful of concert tickets. My theory is that TMBG is an _acquired_ taste, and that Flood was about as close to "mass" as They've gotten. Their music is smart and unique, and such simply doesn't have the mass appeal that Bon Jovi does (ick). "Birdhouse..." is an easily swallowed pop song, and nothing on Apollo 18 really has the same appeal to the non-They type of person. Tip-of-the-Week for converting non-They's into big fans: Take them to a concert. I've _never_ been to a concert that had the fun, the energy, or the participation level that They have. Conga lines! Disembodied heads singing about a dead guy! Glockenspiels, accordions, and big sticks with microphones taped to them! Play Flans' guitar! Whee! Has anyone ever considered what would have become of They if Flood had been their first release? Would they have been one-hit wonders, or would Flood have brought commercial success to every album after that? Comment, criticism? This post seems to lack a point, but at least I'm advocating adoration of They. :D --Chris ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:27:15 -0500 Subject: TMBG: President Lincoln Message-ID: <19971210.142842.4846.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 03:28:31 -0500 (EST) Ryan Staib writes:> Someone asked who the lead singer of Lincoln reminded them of. > It just smacked me in the forehead (or was that my hand?)! The singer >from Presidents of the USA!!! Listen to the first song on the Lincoln CD, >and then listen to something like "Dune Buggy" or "Volcano," and tell me >if you think so.>>RS>> I played "Sucker" (my FAVORITE Lincoln song [out of the 2 I have heard]) at the skating rink I DJ for because we got a request for "Volcano"... I said "we had a request for the Presidents of the United States... but we don't have any of that... but, I think these guys sound like them... here's Lincoln" and it was soooo cool to here that songs blasted outta the speakers! I can't stop playing that song! Of course I play TMBG during all sessions!Tim, too gregarious, too nice Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML)Favorite TMBG song update: On The Drag ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712101958.AA07590@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: acquired tastes Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:58:10 -0500 (EST) > My theory is that TMBG is an _acquired_ taste, and that Flood was about as > close to "mass" as They've gotten. Their music is smart and unique, and > such simply doesn't have the mass appeal that Bon Jovi does (ick). > "Birdhouse..." is an easily swallowed pop song, and nothing on Apollo 18 > really has the same appeal to the non-They type of person. Really it varies from person to person. 3 things can happen to a person when they listen to a band. 1) instant success, they like it from the start. This was my case when I first listened to TMBG. 2) an acquired taste, you claim that you have an acquired taste for TMBG. 3) you will not like that band ever. It's hard to say with TMBG. Most of the folks I know that have heard TMBG are favorable towards them and I haven't really heard anyone say I hate them (well maybe one person I can think of dislikes them). But you hear on the list from people that everyone they meet hates They. Even what you might call a "quirky, strange" band may or may not have an acquired taste. Some folks are instantly drawn to that, some hate it always, some take some time getting used to them. It's a very subjective thing... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:35:42 EST Subject: TMBG: my 11/21 rochester tmbg pics Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) my pics are finally up at http://members.aol.com/snirv/musicmisc.html It's from the instore & the concert -- and a couple pics of Lincoln as well. (there's also some new Moxy Fruvous ones up there too.) sarah! linnellgirl@tmbg.org gun wounds again? ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712102055.AA14069@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: BMG Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:55:22 -0500 (EST) > Hello 41- > > < with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus > giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour!>> > > If I recall this correctly, TMBG sees no money from BMG or Columbia House > sales. I left a few steps out of this process: TMBG join BMG. BMG has TMBG's rights and thus can put their albums in their catalogs which millions receive. While they don't get that money, they do get money from getting all of the extra exposure. More people see their CDs and buy them and then go to concerts making more of a name for themselves. So from an exposure standpoint (either from people first hearing about them this way, or going from hearing of them to actually buying their CDs) they do better. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <14a1d2be.348f03f8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:04:53 EST Subject: TMBG: TMBG at WPI Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I've known about this show for quite some time, yet I wasn't going to reserve tickets yet, as I still can't find anyone to go with (the last TMBG concert I saw was with my friend & his sister, his sister recently moved). So unless I can find someone to go with in 3 days, I won't be able to go. This really sucks but I do not wish to rant too long on this, however, If I do find someone else to go with, i will be there, smiling the biggest smile you've ever seen. Ironicly, the last TMBG show I saw, I didn't find the person to go with until the night before the concert, so I still might go.... Jason "has to travel an hour to see TMBG, usually" Glastetter ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 16:25:47 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712102125.QAA00618@cmu1.acs.cmu.edu> Hi all! On 10-DEC-1997, mjames@greed.loyola.edu wrote: >Hehey! >I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 >CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are >a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard >anything bad about them. The good thing is, BMG can fill their catalog >with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus >giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour! >Matt I have mixed feelings about this idea. on the one hand, yes, bmg would increase tmbg's visibility. however, i believe that there are legitimate reasons for tmbg's lack of presence in bmg's catalogs. for one thing, tmbg already distributes some of their albums through columbia house, and i think they have some kind of bulk-rate deal going on with that. for another thing, bmg burns their own cd's, which is why cd's bought from bmg have their logo on it, and their company-burned cd's are of poor quality; i doubt that tmbg is ever willing to sacrifice quality for quantity. i guess what i'm trying to say here is that bmg seems a bit, well.... slimy. i'd also venture to guess that most tmbg fans, neonates or otherwise, were initally introduced to Them through other-than-corporate means (excluding the Flood drive of '92); also, it's safe to say that the majority of tmbg albums are bought by repeat buyers (nooo, i didn't just buy Then, Misc T, and Lincoln during the span of 2 weeks...) on a non-tmbg note, who's for Johnny the Homicidal Maniac?! that Happy Noodle Boy just busts my buttons. --pnaomi (who still insists that there's a silent "p" in her name) excerpts from Happy Noodle Boy: END THIS PATHETIC DECEPTION!! I KNOW YOU'RE HIDING MARTIANS IN YOUR HEAD!! GIMME THEM MARTIANS!! I AM GOING TO PUT BUTTER ON THEM!! MARTIANS! GRRR!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19971210171610.0084b100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:16:10 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: TMBG: Re: >I have mixed feelings about this idea. on the one hand, >yes, bmg would increase tmbg's visibility. however, i believe >that there are legitimate reasons for tmbg's lack of presence >in bmg's catalogs. for one thing, tmbg already distributes >some of their albums through columbia house, and i think >they have some kind of bulk-rate deal going on with that. >for another thing, bmg burns their own cd's, which is why >cd's bought from bmg have their logo on it, and their >company-burned cd's are of poor quality; i doubt that tmbg >is ever willing to sacrifice quality for quantity. BMG already has Flood, Apollo 18, Factory Showroom, and John Henry avaliable through them. They usually have a TMBG CD or two under the alternative section in their catalog that you get every month. I myself have used BMG and Columbia House to flesh out my TMBG collection and get the CD version of albums I already had on tape. I dont think being in the Columbia House and BMG catalogs really increase the number of people that buy TMBG stuff. People my see the name in the catalog but they prolly wont buy the album unless they like the band cause it's usually a fair bit more expensive to order stuff than just to buy it from the store due to extremely high shippings costs and stuff. Also I was wondering what you meant by poor quality cd's at their in store plant. Since CD's are just digitally encoded music all that is on the cd is some ones and zeros. All the laser is doing is readng the ones and zeros off the cd, there really isnt a question of quality. Maybe you were refering to the quality of the disk material itself, or something else. I dunno. Jeff Roberts "Mom! Dad! Don't touch it! It's evil!" -Kevin in Time Bandits Jeff Roberts The Stylishly Violent God of Time and All Things Edible jlr3@po.cwru.edu Visit schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <5070bdc9.348f2759@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:35:51 EST Subject: TMBG: Merchandise Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Hello 41- Well, I'm sure at one point or another, most everybody has had their run ins with TMBG Merchandise via mail order. Let me try to guide those with problems. You may have done these allready, and if so, I'm sorry. #1 Get your information about the order together. Like the credit card info, check info ect... Veryify they recieved payment and all that jazz. #2 You can call Hello, or if it still is good, drop an email off to "HelloClub@aol.com" These people are nice and don't like seeing anybody ripped off. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:34:02 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: more nickelodeon references Message-ID: <19971210.193419.2862.1.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:35:42 -0500 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net writes: > > If anyone gets this, I'll be happy. > So will i ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:32:33 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG:(for those who REALLY REALLY want a challenge!) Message-ID: <19971210.193419.2862.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (Andrew Nichols) On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:03:12 EST Happyfroot writes: >Jason "I like poop" Glastetter > At least now I know I'm not the only one! "I find myself haunted by a spooky man named me" TMBG ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712110104.TAA09447@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Merchandise Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:43:40 -0600 >These > people are nice and don't like seeing anybody ripped off. > > Adam I personally haven't tried to order anything from TMBG themselves, but from the stories I've heard in the past here and the NG, I think it's a situation where the orders come in at a great rate, and the people can't keep up, or something. I don't know. My friend ordered a shirt and some stuff two years ago, and got it rather quickly... much sooner than I've ever gotten anything from BMG.. Mike "Sent $15 to Doctor Demento in senior high, got neither the watch, the CD, nor anything else" Leffel --also subscribed to Wizard for 2 years, never got three issues of it... ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak Message-ID: <8d3ac4f3.348f4618@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:47:02 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Maine shows Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Actually, they played a show here on March 9, 1996 and it was all ages. Great show too. Nick ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:55:51 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: BMG Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Dec-97 TMBG: BMG by Matthew James@envy.loyol > I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 > CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are > a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard > anything bad about them. The good thing is, BMG can fill their catalog > with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus > giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour! an excellent suggestion, sir, with just two minor drawbacks: 1. BMG is a music club, not a record label, and 2. BMG is a music club, not a record label I know that, technically speaking, that is only one drawback, but I felt it was so important I should mention it twice. :) now to be a bit more serious... BMG just carries existing CDs, as far as I know. they don't actually produce them. (I believe the get the rights to press them from certain labels, though - this is why if you get something from BMG it'll have a BMG logo on the cover somewhere) not to mention that BMG is really bad. customer service is terrible, and their policies are not made perfectly clear, nor is the phone number through which to contact them made available on any material (although it is available from information) plus, people wouldn't buy TMBG CDs. they'd buy Spice Girls and Hanson CDs and get TMBG CDs for free. just because a band is carried by a widely received catalog does not make it popular. and I think CDs are *less* noticed when they're printed in a little catalog than when their posters show up in record store windows... just my... uh, 2 or 3 cents. maybe 2.5, actually... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:01:53 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Dec-97 by Christopher Spangler@ero > Tip-of-the-Week for converting non-They's into big fans: Take them to a > concert. I've _never_ been to a concert that had the fun, the energy, or definitely. especially a cheap and/or convenient one. They played here at CMU back in November and I knew lots of people who had heard a few of their songs but went anyway, and came out saying that they wanted to buy more of Their CDs... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971211033012.00686568@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:30:12 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: A common rumor dispelled >Also I was wondering what you meant by poor quality cd's at their in store >plant. Since CD's are just digitally encoded music all that is on the cd is >some ones and zeros. All the laser is doing is readng the ones and zeros >off the cd, there really isnt a question of quality. Maybe you were >refering to the quality of the disk material itself, or something else. I >dunno. Uhhhhh, that one is wrong. CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. CD's are more like tiny little records that are read with a laser not a needle. Binary would be a very bad way to encode music. That is why our "grooves" are put in "grooves" still. LIL DEPRESSED BOY (Who beat someone for Spam today, AND NO Leffel didn't tell me to do it) LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Message-ID: <19971210.202421.7887.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:04:37 EST A friend of mine always frowned upon TMBG, he had heard a few of their songs and didn't enjoy them. But one day he came over, and I popped in the bonus tracks of the Then CD's, and he fell in love (he likes stuff like Devo, Talking Heads, Mr. Bungle & Tom Waites) I made copies of the bonus tracks for him, plus a compilatio tape of all their albums, now we're singin' TMBG together! *sigh* jus' thought you'd be interested Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-344 ******************************