Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-345 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 345 Friday, 12 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows TMBG: LUCK. TMBG: CDs ARE binary (none) TMBG: random babble... Re: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows Re: TMBG: Rosies email addy... Re: NON-TMBG: McDonalds non-TMBG: BMG TMBG: Re:TMBG TMBG: BMG; TMBG for newbies; TMBG: I still exist and I'm Ok... NON-TMBG: CDs! Re: NON-TMBG: McDonalds TMBG: 11001101011 Re: TMBG: BMG TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-344 TMBG: staple sandwich, hold the cheese Re: TMBG: TMBG Stuff Wanted TMBG: CD wear Re: TMBG: 11001101011 Fw: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows Re: TMBG: 11001101011 TMBG: Misc. long post on Rosie, concert going, and Toad burgers TMBG: TMBG on talk shows, CDs- Binary or no?, Info Club TMBG: First TMBG Experience TMBG: Compact Discs Re: TMBG: TMBG on talk shows, CDs- Binary or no?, Info Club Re: TMBG: LUCK. Re: TMBG: Compact Discs (way off topic) NONTMBG: CD's... Re: NONTMBG: CD's... TMBG: Labels Re: NONTMBG: CD's... Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Re: NONTMBG: CD's... Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Re: TMBG: Andy Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Re: TMBG: BMG TMBG: Viola sand, not wrote, TTYD Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 2:03:15 CST Subject: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows Message-ID: <36EF5FA213F@athena.valpo.edu> personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan o'brien. he is the king of late night. letterman got too pompous to be on tv about two years ago, leno's only good because he's not letterman, and when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. conan is the only tv host who isn't afraid to admit he sucks. anyway, They should do a show on conan and then steal max weinberg just to make him do the glockenspeil (sp) on shoehorn with teeth. and they should also steal andy just to make him sit on a couch on stage and do nothing at all. in a tmbg related story, i'll be playing in an ad hoc tmbg cover band this weekend. it'll be me on guitars and vocals, a bassist and a pianist. our repitoire for a brief open mic at a coffeehouse will consist of hey mr dj, santa's beard (in the holiday spirit), and maybe maybe it's not my birthday. wish me luck. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:11:04 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: LUCK. Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, it was written: > personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan > o'brien. he is the king of late night. letterman got too pompous to be on > tv about two years ago, leno's only good because he's not letterman, and > when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT > FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. but she *does* get ratings... > conan is the only tv host who isn't afraid to admit he sucks. anyway, > They should do a show on conan and then steal max weinberg just to make > him do the glockenspeil (sp) on shoehorn with teeth. with a big arrow pointing out the right note!!! > and they should also steal andy just to make him sit on a couch on stage > and do nothing at all. > > in a tmbg related story, i'll be playing in an ad hoc tmbg cover band this > weekend. it'll be me on guitars and vocals, a bassist and a pianist. our > repitoire for a brief open mic at a coffeehouse will consist of hey mr dj, > santa's beard (in the holiday spirit), and maybe maybe it's not my > birthday. wish me luck. good luck!! --jim kuemmerle, whose heart is always warmed to hear of people playing the songs of THEY, especially in public... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712110905.JAA16738@boober.lineone.net> From: "Paul Turner" Subject: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:54:48 -0000 > Uhhhhh, that one is wrong. CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. CD's are > more like tiny little records that are read with a laser not a needle. > Binary would be a very bad way to encode music. That is why our "grooves" > are put in "grooves" still. No the first poster was right I think - CD s are in binary, they may be "grooves" but they are binary grooves. Binary may be a bad way to encode music but that's how it is done. Paul ------------------------------ From: nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:14:05 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712110914.EAA23709@cmu1.acs.cmu.edu> hi there! just to attempt to put a close to the BMG-related confusion: 1. BMG buys the rights to each album they carry and burns their own CD's; 2. BMG uses low-quality materials to burn their CD's; 3. their low production costs are the reason they can do 10 for 1 deals; and that's why i do not add to my tmbg collection through BMG. one-hit wonder cd's, sure; cd's that i'm destined to play 50 times a week with almost religiously fanatical devotion? nope. oh, and here's a fun tip: when your cd's wear out, as they inevitably do from time to time, slap on a WALL sticker and get a new one. this is obvious, of course, but here's the relevance to the topic: BMG cd's wear out much more quickly than direct-label cd's, and you can't exchange them at the Wall because of the stamped BMG logo. just to be absolutely clear, i'm talking about thehard materials themselves, not the information contained on the discs. CD's are, in fact, binary, by the way, which is the reason for the never-ending battle between the Digirati (those in favor of the precision of electronically encoded music) and the Analogs (those who prefer tube-style vinyl recordings). --pnaomi (who thinks we should use the Analogs' record collections as frisbees) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 03:41:32 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: random babble... Message-ID: > not to mention that BMG is really bad. customer service is terrible, > and their policies are not made perfectly clear, nor is the phone number > through which to contact them made available on any material (although > it is available from information) Yeah, my Frank Black, R.E.M. and Pixies CDs arrived in, well, shattered cases. The Pixies one in particular was just pulverized. I can't believe the CD survived! I didn't even bother to send them back because I was afraid that if I did, I'd never get replacements OR a refund, so I decided to keep the stuff since it worked and all. And then there was the other time when they sent me the completely wrong CD. They actually responded to that one fairly quickly, though, which was nice of them. I don't remember whether or not I ever found a phone number, but I wrote to some sort of customer service address and got a fairly speedy response. Oh, yeah....and when you cancel, they won't leave you alone! Arrgghh! They are *still* sending me mailings even though I cancelled my membership in the spring of 1996. :( speaking of mailings...ok, just to get this straight: this fabled tmbg catalog is not the same thing as the info club newsletter with the Johns striking the "action pose" for the Japanese photographer, right? 'Cause I've got that one. Does this new catalog have new stuff? > hehee... go into mcdonalds and ask "does the quarter pounder with cheese > come with cheese?" =) I have a friend who always goes to Dairy Queen and orders a Peanut Buster Parfait, hold the peanuts. :) She says it's because you end up getting more hot fudge sundae for a better price than actually ordering a hot fudge sundae. Or something. Plus it's got that layered thing going on with the hot fudge and the ice cream. > Jason "has to travel an hour to see TMBG, usually" Glastetter Tara "TMBG has never set foot within an hour of me" Weber :( (geez, I'm sorry....I really whine about that a lot! I swear I'm not as generally grouchy as I must sound. :) happy thursday, everybody. :) -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <430c7a80.348fb7e2@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:52:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-11 03:01:39 EST, JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu writes: << personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan o'brien. he is the king of late night. letterman got too pompous to be on tv about two years ago, leno's only good because he's not letterman, and when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. conan is the only tv host who isn't afraid to admit he sucks. anyway, They should do a show on conan and then steal max weinberg just to make him do the glockenspeil (sp) on shoehorn with teeth. and they should also steal andy just to make him sit on a couch on stage and do nothing at all. >> I never said Rosie was funny, i said shes'd be most likely to listen to a bunch of email asking to invite TMBG on her show, she's just that way, and besides, what does it matter what show they are on as long as they are on it? :) amber ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <8a71e503.348fc128@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 05:32:06 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Rosies email addy... Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) hey, i didnt include the rosies email add becuase i just now found it! heres a link to her mailbox Rosie's Mailbox ---- if that doesnt work, go to http://www.rosieo.com/ then click on "dear rosie"( the link to her mail) , the page says that she reads her mail, so we'll see......... i sent her a sad little note begging her to invite them, Im not too proud to look pathetic......... amber ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 07:05:03 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: McDonalds Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: * > hehee... go into mcdonalds and ask "does the quarter pounder with cheese * > come with cheese?" =) * * I have a friend who always goes to Dairy Queen and orders a Peanut Buster * Parfait, hold the peanuts. :) She says it's because you end up getting * more hot fudge sundae for a better price than actually ordering a hot * fudge sundae. Or something. Plus it's got that layered thing going on * with the hot fudge and the ice cream. The trick is to go to McDonalds and order a hamburger, and then after they've rung it up, ask them if it would be too much trouble for them to add extra cheese to it. If they're busy, they may not notice that you ordered a hamburger originally, and you'll get a cheeseburger for the price of a hamburger. :) This will sometimes work with all sorts of stuff, like saying "Oh, could you change that coke to a sprite?" when you've ordered water, etc... :) RS ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:21:03 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: non-TMBG: BMG Message-ID: Hey all-- After all this chatting about BMG, I just had to chime in with my little story of them. No, they never screwed me over overtly. Instead, I suppose I sort of fucked with them. I had originally done Columbia House, but after needing to buy six more CD's or whatever their deal was (I think it has since changed), I wanted nothing more to do with them. The BMG deal sounded sweet, so I did it. I never got around to buying the one CD that you have to buy, though. After a while, I just stopped sending the cards back in. When they sent the "selection of the month", I would just put "return to sender" on it and send it back, no charge. After a while, they got sick of me and cancelled my "membership." So I never had to pay for a CD from them. Pretty cool. Interesting postscript...they still send me stuff trying to get me to join again. Stupid, stupid people... Oh yeah, some TMBG content...They were actually on Conan O'Brien, at least once. When I saw them, they performed a song ("I Palindrome I", maybe?), and then there was still time in the show, so Conan talked with them for a while. They put the Dial-a-song number on the screen, Linnell fucked around, and otherwise it was a fun time. It was classic. Okay, I'm out. Bill Tatalovich, still up at 6:00 am wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712111224.EAA21690@bargains.k-online.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:32:02 -0800 This would appear to make you look smart, except for the fact that: 1. BMG is actually a record company too It used to be called RCA Records, now it is called BMG... I have several CDs on the BMG label... Eurhythmics, Bauhaus, and I forget what else at this time... RCA used to be fairly well known but I think they underwent some corporate merger or something so now they are called BMG... did you really think that a music club would exist if they didn't have a backing record label? the other major music club, Columbia, is also a record label too, so both music clubs have a built in catalog to sell, i.e. their own label I would consider thinking or knowing about what your are going to spout about before you do so Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Dec-97 TMBG: BMG by Matthew James@envy.loyol > I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 > CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are > a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard > anything bad about them. The good thing is, BMG can fill their catalog > with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus > giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour! > >an excellent suggestion, sir, with just two minor drawbacks: > >1. BMG is a music club, not a record label, and >2. BMG is a music club, not a record label > >I know that, technically speaking, that is only one drawback, but I felt >it was so important I should mention it twice. > >:) > >now to be a bit more serious... BMG just carries existing CDs, as far as >I know. they don't actually produce them. (I believe the get the >rights to press them from certain labels, though - this is why if you >get something from BMG it'll have a BMG logo on the cover somewhere) > >not to mention that BMG is really bad. customer service is terrible, >and their policies are not made perfectly clear, nor is the phone number >through which to contact them made available on any material (although >it is available from information) > >plus, people wouldn't buy TMBG CDs. they'd buy Spice Girls and Hanson >CDs and get TMBG CDs for free. just because a band is carried by a >widely received catalog does not make it popular. and I think CDs are >*less* noticed when they're printed in a little catalog than when their >posters show up in record store windows... > >just my... uh, 2 or 3 cents. maybe 2.5, actually... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:53:17 -0700 Subject: TMBG: BMG; TMBG for newbies; Message-ID: <19971211.065323.11246.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) HEy HEy! >I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 >CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are >a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard >anything bad about them. um, actually, BMG is a distribution company, not a record label.... and you can find TMBG (and mono puff too!) cd's in their catalogs... >not to mention that BMG is really bad. customer service is terrible, >and their policies are not made perfectly clear, nor is the phone number >through which to contact them made available on any material (although >it is available from information) i'd just like to say that if you know how to work the system you can really take advantage of clubs like that... i joined BMG about 4 years ago... i bought the one CD i was "required" to buy and i've gotten about 50 CD's from them since then, however i have yet to actually BUY another CD from them. yes folks, it can be done, i spose everytime i get a CD i have to pay the $1.50 s/h but other than that i really haven't had to pay for anything from them =) >My theory is that TMBG is an _acquired_ taste hmm... i have to disagree... see, the only reason i liked TMBG is cuz i could sit there and listen to the cd's the whole way through and not dislike a single song... i was sick of only listening to one or two songs on a CD and then having to change them... (this is comign from a person who travels alot...damn swim meets...anyways, i like to fall asleep on those long car rides and if i'm changing the cd every two seconds i know it's not gonna happen) >Take them to a >concert. I've _never_ been to a concert that had the fun, the energy, or >the participation level that They have. Conga lines! Disembodied heads >singing about a dead guy! Glockenspiels, accordions, and big sticks >with >microphones taped to them! Play Flans' guitar! Whee! all i have to say is i disagree here too... when they came out here last time (january 2nd, 1997) the show sucked... aside from stump the band they did absolutely nothing that wouldv'e made me want to see another show if i wan'st a freek fan... which btw i did in may by taking the 8 hour drive to kansas... that show was a whole hell of a lot more fun just cuz a) it was outdoors b) it was free (which didn;t really make a difference after i paid for gas and the hotel) c) there were hundreds of people there d) conga line and the stick showed up... e) i got to talk to 'em after the show =) >Has anyone ever considered what would have become of They if Flood had >been >their first release? Would they have been one-hit wonders, i think they technically would have been referred to as "three-hit wonders" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971211070319.10204.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:03:19 -0800 (PST) From: Anastasia Hunt Subject: TMBG: I still exist and I'm Ok... === This message is brought to you by SAINT ANA THE SUAVE PRODUCTIONS Get Stomped!at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 ********************************************************** Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans. --Betty Talmadge Listies & Stompers- Anastasia here. As you can tell I am no longer on the list. My life has slowly slid down the toilet. I promised a Halloween and a Christmas issue of Stomp!!! This has not come to pass. I lost funding in October. As for me personally, my mother passed away on December 4, after a brief and unexpected illness. Thus, i don't know if or when I'll return to the list. Stomp!!! has been put on hold, but I do recommend a good zine that I have worked on. Email my bro Dave at dcb666@aol.com for more details. I will let y'all know when Stomp!!! will come about again. I miss you guys. You wouldn't believe how much. I can still be reached at this address (ana_ng@rocketmail.com)or stompgirl@geocities.com, if you want to mail me. Love you guys, Anastasia Hunt The Almighty Cookie Mousegirl of Oklahoma City _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971211125441.0068d120@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:54:41 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: NON-TMBG: CDs! You do realize if CD's were binary, the machines would be a whole lot larger because it has to decode the binary. CD's are grooved like records, with Pits and troughs that correspond to the sound waves. CD roms just have a standard Pit and flat, which both stand for 0, a 1 is the transition from the flat part of the CD to the trough. LDP (Mike Leffel told me this, therefore it is right!) At 08:54 AM 12/11/97 -0000, Paul Turner wrote: > >> Uhhhhh, that one is wrong. CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. CD's >are >> more like tiny little records that are read with a laser not a needle. >> Binary would be a very bad way to encode music. That is why our >"grooves" >> are put in "grooves" still. > >No the first poster was right I think - CD s are in binary, they may be >"grooves" but they are binary grooves. Binary may be a bad way to encode >music but that's how it is done. > >Paul > > > > > LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712111428.IAA22712@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: McDonalds Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 07:59:29 -0600 You people are evil! I work at McDonald's. And anyways, we charge for extra cheese so it ends up costing for to add cheese to a hamburger than to buy a cheeseburger. It's $0.68 for a hamburger and $0.79 for a cheeseburger and extra cheese is something like $0.25. And believe me you don't want McDonald's food. I don't eat it. Mainly because I don't eat meat. The one I work at, if you ask stupid questions we might end up being really sarcastic to you.:) Just be nice and pity us poor McDonalds employees. Blink > * > hehee... go into mcdonalds and ask "does the quarter pounder with cheese > * > come with cheese?" =) > * > * I have a friend who always goes to Dairy Queen and orders a Peanut Buster > * Parfait, hold the peanuts. :) She says it's because you end up getting > * more hot fudge sundae for a better price than actually ordering a hot > * fudge sundae. Or something. Plus it's got that layered thing going on > * with the hot fudge and the ice cream. > > The trick is to go to McDonalds and order a hamburger, and then > after they've rung it up, ask them if it would be too much trouble for them > to add extra cheese to it. If they're busy, they may not notice that you > ordered a hamburger originally, and you'll get a cheeseburger for the price > of a hamburger. :) This will sometimes work with all sorts of stuff, like > saying "Oh, could you change that coke to a sprite?" when you've ordered > water, etc... :) > > RS > ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: 11001101011 Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 11 Dec 1997 09:34:23 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies >>Also I was wondering what you meant by poor quality cd's at their in store >>plant. Since CD's are just digitally encoded music all that is on the cd is >>some ones and zeros. All the laser is doing is readng the ones and zeros >>off the cd, there really isnt a question of quality. Maybe you were >>refering to the quality of the disk material itself, or something else. I >>dunno. > >Uhhhhh, that one is wrong. CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. CD's are >more like tiny little records that are read with a laser not a needle. >Binary would be a very bad way to encode music. That is why our "grooves" >are put in "grooves" still. > >LIL >DEPRESSED >BOY Uhhhhh, CD's are just as binary as CD-Roms. There's little chips of stuff that are all in ones and zeroes on the CD whether it is a music CD or a computer CD. Ain't no grooves. That's the whole point of the CD, that the integrity of the signal is so high, this leads to incredibly higher dynamic ranges and a much higher signal to noise ratio than would be possible with analog (LP's and cassettes) media. The quality of most all CD's are the same; don't be fooled by the "GOLD" remastered discs you see that cost $30US, they're no better than the original aluminum/acetate stampings. CD players to a certain extent are also just about all the same - the most signal degradation that can occur to diminish your dynamic range and/or signal to noise ratio would come from poor speakers or poor speaker wires. The CD player itself can't possibly screw up a signal as bad as a lousy speaker can, so save your $$ for good BOSE's rather than the CD player with the frivolous consumer electronic gobbledygook (8x Oversample/SDRAM Processor/ MASH System Integration/whatever). The only unresolved question is the lifetime of the Compact Disc - as of yet, CD's seemingly have a pretty good track record as far as their lifetime if properly cleaned and kept free from scratches. We don't know, of course, if a CD can last 30 years, since they haven't been around that long, yet. There's no reason to suspect that they would crap out after a certain amount of time, but not enough is known - I've spent over $1000US on my collection, which is not that large, and I don't even know if I'll have these when I'm old. Oh, well, maybe by then, there will be a new format on which I'll spend my future earnings. And, remember, always clean your CD's with harsh abrasives and scouring pads in a circular motion along the grooves of the CD, not from the center towards the outside. See you tonight at Merc Lounge! Love, Rob Plass * --------------------------------- "They don't call us the Leader in Digital Radiography for nothing!" ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712111451.AA08107@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: BMG Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:51:10 -0500 (EST) > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-Dec-97 TMBG: BMG by Matthew > James@envy.loyol > > I was just thinking, BMG, the major record label that also has the buy 1 > > CD, get 10 free deals might be an option for the Johns as they are > > a major, thus have the distribution capabilities, and I haven't heard > > anything bad about them. The good thing is, BMG can fill their catalog > > with TMBG items and lots of folks will see them and buy them, thus > > giving TMBG enough cash to tour until the 2040 World Tour! > > an excellent suggestion, sir, with just two minor drawbacks: > > 1. BMG is a music club, not a record label, and > 2. BMG is a music club, not a record label > Ok, I wasn't sure. I asked someone who I thought was very knowledgeable about record labels and he said there were 6 major labels, one of which was BMG. Warner, WEA, BMG,Sony, 2 others I forgot. I'm not familiar with the company all that much, though, because I have only done the 10 for 1 deal ages ago and haven't since dealt with them. I figured I'd suggest just to throw it on the table, though. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Hoban, Patrick" Subject: TMBG: RE: tmbg-list Digest #3-344 Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:08:18 -0500 To Chris I can only say that I believe the greatest success for TMBG was Flood as well. However I can not see how you can say that it was publicity, but instead the music that THEY created on Flood was perfect in 1990. Instead of the constant chatter of guitars in heavy metal, or the feedback of original alternative grunge, it was a beautiful montage of music, wonderful vocals, and intellectual lyrics. So Flood was just a product of the times, and I am sure if THEY continue to create the same type of music then eventually more and more people will realize what you have, and that is that THEY have more to offer then just Flood and Birdhouse. Oh and the publicity on the cartoon show Tiny Toons definitly did not hurt the sale of Flood. In fact I have met so many people who said that their first THEY music was heard with Istanbul and Particle Man. Does anyone else remember this memorable show, because I sure do. Finally I do agree that a THEY concert is by far one of the greatest moments any true music fan can experience. I do disagree with the idea of the greatest example of Participation. I feel that the Phish concerts that I have been to had just as much if not more singing back, and reacting to the music then the five TMBG concerts I have been to. Then again a THEY concert is a much smaller and more moving experience, so they both have something to give to the lover of music. That brings something up that I have been wondering. Is there any other Phish AND They Might Be Giants fans out there. Usually I get a reaction like how can you like both bands, but for some reason I do. -----Original Message----- >> I don't know why TMBG didn't enjoy greater commercial success after >> Flood with Apollo 18, I started listening in, oh, late '93? Was it >> publicity? The album itself? Alright, this is coming from someone you _may_ consider to be a "Floodie". Flood was my first album, and I bought it when it came out (1990) because I heard "Birdhouse..." on the radio, thought it was fun, catchy, and unique, and wanted to hear what else they had to offer. Really, I was quite disappointed. Only a few songs on the album appealed to me. I wore out the portion with "Birdhouse..." on it. I bought a promotional copy of "Apollo 18" maybe three years later in a used-music store, and thought it was _awful_. I didn't like _anything_ on it. I don't know when the turning point occurred, but recently I became a TMBG junkie. I now have Flood (original tape and CD), Apollo 18 (promo tape and commercial CD), John Henry (CD), Factory Showroom (CD; autographed by both Johns, it's my prized possession), Then (disc one is in my car CD player, and disc two is in my CD-ROM drive as I write this, playing the Joshua Fried remix of "The World's Address", which I think is kinda neat), and a handful of concert tickets. My theory is that TMBG is an _acquired_ taste, and that Flood was about as close to "mass" as They've gotten. Their music is smart and unique, and such simply doesn't have the mass appeal that Bon Jovi does (ick). "Birdhouse..." is an easily swallowed pop song, and nothing on Apollo 18 really has the same appeal to the non-They type of person. Tip-of-the-Week for converting non-They's into big fans: Take them to a concert. I've _never_ been to a concert that had the fun, the energy, or the participation level that They have. Conga lines! Disembodied heads singing about a dead guy! Glockenspiels, accordions, and big sticks with microphones taped to them! Play Flans' guitar! Whee! Has anyone ever considered what would have become of They if Flood had been their first release? Would they have been one-hit wonders, or would Flood have brought commercial success to every album after that? Comment, criticism? This post seems to lack a point, but at least I'm advocating adoration of They. :D --Chris ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <1ba3b532.348fff34@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:56:50 EST Subject: TMBG: staple sandwich, hold the cheese Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) > i've ordered from them many times, and they are VERY VERY slow about > sending stuff, and always have been. i have always gotten my stuff, > but not quickly at all... Wow it sounds like... a lot of people are having problems... :\ I ordered my stuff about a year ago and got it in a week and a half. All complete too. O Tannenbaum, mousepad, TMBG video collection, DAS shirt, and a mug. Just to let you guys know, they're not trying to con everybody . ;) >Hey, anybody else get DUMPED on with snow last night? Yes. :P~ > I've _never_ been to a concert that had the fun, the energy, or the > participation level that They have. You've never seen a Barenaked Ladies or Moxy Fruvous concert.:) I love TMBG but... Granted They have more props, but.. BNL and MF just.... I can't describe it. They make the Johns look kinda stiff. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org Jerry Springer time! Yaaaay! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712111511.KAA18053@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "Lee Steel" Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:11:19 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Stuff Wanted I would like to get a copy of these as well if there is some kind hearted THEYhead out there. I will have a copy of the show at the Polytechnic after this weekend :-) . >>Kit Kat Acoustic Break, Show #1 [radio show, 1997] >>Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band [bootleg, 1993] >> Factory Showroom Studio Sessions ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712111503.AA08125@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: CD wear Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:03:57 -0500 (EST) > oh, and here's a fun tip: > when your cd's wear out, as they inevitably do from time to time, > slap on a WALL sticker and get a new one. this is obvious, of course, > but here's the relevance to the topic: BMG cd's wear out much > more quickly than direct-label cd's, and you can't exchange them > at the Wall because of the stamped BMG logo. I did do an evil thing once, I got the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, and I didn't like that double CD so I purposely scratched the CD, but I don't think I'll do that again, my one mischievious CD incident ;) I understand that the CD itself can become damaged, heck if you pull on opposite ends and try to make them touch it will snap, or if you put it in the oven at 600 degrees all day it'll melt, but apart from some dust on the non-label side that can be cleaned off, what the heck do you do to your CDs that make them wear out? CDs are pretty damn tough for normal use, they have that plastic over the read side for extra protection. I've never had a screwed up CD except for the Born in the USA CD my dad found on the street that was run over by a truck. And only about 30 seconds of Glory Days (I think that was the song) was messed up, the rest played perfectly! Unlike tapes or vinyl, CDs are built to last. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971211151605.16279.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: 11001101011 Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:16:04 EST The Rob says (following a discussion on CD technology): >Uhhhhh, CD's are just as binary as CD-Roms. There's little chips of >stuff that are all in ones and zeroes on the CD whether it is a music >CD or a computer CD... You're all wrong!!! CD technology is just MAGIC! That's all! Black magic! >The only unresolved question is the lifetime of the Compact Disc... >We don't know, of course, if a CD can last 30 years, since they >haven't been around that long, yet. Darn. So that Buddy Holly autographed CD is worthless, right? >And, remember, always clean your CD's with harsh abrasives and >scouring pads in a circular motion along the grooves of the CD, not >from the center towards the outside. Actually, I clean my CDs by letting my Saint Bernard carry them around in his mouth for a while. Sometimes he buries them in the yard... ******************** "Gentle" Ben - would like to say "No, Lupita!" but, alas, cannot. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: tmbg on talk shows Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:22:15 -0500 Message-Id: <15203298400408@dancingink.com> > personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan > o'brien. yup yup, then he can ignore them again when they put the 2nd Conan CD. > he is the king of late night. Speak for yourself > letterman got too pompous to be on > tv about two years ago, I'll admit he went through a lull there. He just doesn't do well under the scrutiny of being #1... Now that Jay"Let Me Kiss Your Butt"Leno has made it back to #1, Dave has regained his edge and is the still reigning KING OF LATENIGHT! > leno's only good because he's not letterman, I pretend you didn't say that......... > when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT > FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. I can't stand her, but she DOES have the rating. Tis would be good for exposure, if that's the goal. > conan is the > only tv host who isn't afraid to admit he sucks. Now, I do like Conan, so don't get the wrong idea, but the "we suck" thing got old after he mentioned it 200 times during the first two weeks of being televised. > anyway, They should do a > show on conan and then steal max weinberg just to make him do the > glockenspeil (sp) on shoehorn with teeth. Tis would rock! > and they should also steal andy > just to make him sit on a couch on stage and do nothing at all. Yeah! he could be like that guy in the Mighty Mighty Bosstones that just dances around except he'll just sit there! >wish me luck. I would but don't believe in luck, but that's for another day. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:42:19 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: 11001101011 Message-id: <349009DB.CA89745B@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Robert Plass wrote: > The quality of most all CD's are the same; don't be fooled by the "GOLD" > remastered discs you see that cost $30US, they're no better than the > original aluminum/acetate stampings. For the most part, yeah. The special print Gold CDs quality increase isn't really noticable unless you have a quality setup to listen on. I would wager most of don't have a Stereo That Rocks (tm) that much. > CD players to a certain extent are > also just about all the same - the most signal degradation that can > occur to diminish your dynamic range and/or signal to noise ratio would > come from poor speakers or poor speaker wires. I gotta disagree there. Well, assuming you mean "CD player" to refer to the whole box. I can tell the difference between cheap-o Sony 5 disc changers and a good single disc CD player assuming the rest of the system is decent. If you pay more and get a good CD player with a sweet D>A in it, it'll make a noticable difference. > The CD player itself > can't possibly screw up a signal as bad as a lousy speaker can, so save > your $$ for good BOSE's rather than the CD player with the frivolous > consumer electronic gobbledygook (8x Oversample/SDRAM Processor/ > MASH System Integration/whatever). Well, I don't know about Bose (they have good marketing though), but you got really close to the right idea. To me, good cabling is the cheapest way to get a dramatic lift in quality. I don't listen through speakers much, but I got a nice headphone amp and good AKG headphones and Laserlink cables between everything and my music sings =) As for CDs, they are binary. I used to know how they were encoded (Reed-Solomon I think - it's been awhile) cuz I took a class on it. - Chad "I really want a peanut buster parfait right now" Maloney ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34900DE1.7314@rica.net> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:59:29 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Misc. long post on Rosie, concert going, and Toad burgers << personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan o'brien. he is the king of late night. letterman got too pompous to be on tv about two years ago, leno's only good because he's not letterman, and when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. conan is the only tv host who isn't afraid to admit he sucks. anyway, They should do a show on conan and then steal max weinberg just to make him do the glockenspeil (sp) on shoehorn with teeth. and they should also steal andy just to make him sit on a couch on stage and do nothing at all. >> I never said Rosie was funny, i said shes'd be most likely to listen to a bunch of email asking to invite TMBG on her show, she's just that way, and besides, what does it matter what show they are on as long as they are on it? :) Amber >> > personally, i think that the best show for tmbg to appear on would be conan > o'brien. he is the king of late night. letterman got too pompous to be on > tv about two years ago, leno's only good because he's not letterman, and > when is everybody going to wake up and realize that rosie o'donnel IS NOT > FUNNY?!?!?!? i really have no idea how she gets ratings. but she *does* get ratings... Jim >> I don't think Rosie is funny either, you can only do so many jokes about old t.v. shows. Jim's answered it, she gets them monster ratings. Oprah commands her legions to go forth and buy books she features on her show, resulting in bestsellers. Rosie does the same thing. Except with lots of references to old t.v. shows. I don't think it would hurt to e-mail her either. "Oh no, the fans are asking for something. Guess I'll listen and get more Ho-Hos tm," or whatever snack candies she pushes. On the concert side: I've gone to two different concerts with two peopele familiar with the band, but not fans. After the shows, both went out and bought John Henry. Giants gotta get some kind of big concert on HBO or something where people can catch a glimpse of the TMBG experience. I remember a clip when THEY were on Live From the House of Blues, where Linnell said something like "Once people see what we're doing it doesn't seem weird, it just seems interesting and new." They played NOKMP, Istanbul, and The Guitar, a representaion of the live sound, but you just can't bottle the live fun. Joey(and English and Media double major) , made a joke about working at McDonald's last night at a big family gathering, got dirty looks and stern talking to from ex-McDonald's employees now working on a different kinds of chemicals. "Uh, that was one Toad burger, hold the ketchup..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:42:49 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: TMBG: TMBG on talk shows, CDs- Binary or no?, Info Club Message-ID: I think TMBG should be on Conan all day every day. But then, I think _Conan_ should be on all day every day. I love that show- my dream show would have Keith Olbermann, Craig Kilborn, and TMBG on it. I think They've been on at least twice, as the whole reason I started wathing Conan was because They were on performing SEXXY (I have this band to tank for getting me into _so_ much cool stuff.) and there was the aforementioned time wiht the DAS number. I agree, though, that Max should be on Glock, then Conan could dance like the guy in ska bands, and Andy should just sit nd watch appreciatively. That would just be so dada... :) (Get me, I'm a pretentious art snob!) I've always thought that CDs were high tech records- they had miniscule grooves, and the laser read them like a needle. It does make sense that they wouldn't be binary because of the translation involved, but then, can't we all be right? A friend told me the metal disk inside was burned with tiny holes, and then it was covered with acetate (?)...so maybe the information is binary, 1 and 0's, but they are arranged in such a pattern as to be like the grooves on a record? I mean, the fact that it possibly goes both ways would explain why a computer can read both audio cds and CD-ROMS, but your average cd player (like, say, my "cheap-o" Sony five-cd changer, as someone termed it- hmph! :) ) can't translate the CD-ROM information. See what I mean? I find it oddly amusing that so many people aren't getting stuff from the info club. I mean, conceptually- I'm not amused at people's not getting their stuff (well, only a little.) I get three copies of every mailing, and I got the stuff I ordered within four weeks of sending the stuff out. But then, that was back when the official site went up and was still called "The Bit Steamy Thing" which I way preferred to its current title. I think that nasty letters and bomb threats are in order for the people who've waited so long to get their stuff- someone here threatened to bomb the Victorias Secret at the mall, which I found to be of the highest comedy. "There're bras and panties flyin' everywhere! Look, it's Tyra! She really is an angel!" Bah! Yokels. Sorry for the aimless rambling! Stefanie "Got me a PlayStation, though" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "I can be a monster if I want to be, but he's got me beaten by a landslide. He's just crazy." -Ivy, "Get Enough" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:21:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: First TMBG Experience Message-ID: <19971211.164627.12518.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff B Parker) > Oh and the publicity on the cartoon show Tiny Toons definitly >did not hurt the sale of Flood. In fact I have met so many people who >said that their first THEY music was heard with Istanbul and Particle >Man. Does anyone else remember this memorable show, because I sure >do. I think I'm the only person in the world who was introduced to TMBG while I was watching Liquid Television on MTV. Anyone remember that show? Well, I never missed an episode, mainly to see the continuing saga of Aeon Flux, until they ruined it by making her talk. (And DogBoy - AAAAWWOOOOOOOO!!) Anyway, I was watchin one night and this awesome video for an awesome song came on. I instantly loved it and kept watching LT until I was finally able to tape that episode and pause the speedy credits to unveil the musicians behind such wonderful music. The name 'They Might Be Giants' flashed up on the screen and I immediately went out and bought Flood and Lincoln and listened to them for at least 2 months straight(maybe longer). Since then I have proceeded to buy everything I can get my hands on which has any glimmer of a hope of having anything to do with Them... crazy you say? YOU KNOW IT!!! So, am I the only one who had this happen to them, or even remembers this happening? Maybe it's all in my mind... I've been alone with my secret for so long, now that I've shared it, I suddenly feel so vulnerable...please say that i'm not the only one...LIE IF YOU MUST!!! ^v^ Jeffro, who just "let" at least three of his many personalities contribute to the creation of this letter ^v^ - I'm no fucking Buddhist, but this is enlightenment - Bjork - Hello? Hello? Hello? - TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34906616.2F63@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:15:50 -0800 From: Flyn Subject: TMBG: Compact Discs Okay, this is bothering me. Everyone who says that CDs are not in binary, go get your CD case. Which CD case? any CD case, because it's written on every one of them. Look for the logo that says "disc" and then notice the words written below it. Digital Audio. This means that the audio is Digitally encoded. The digits, specifically, are zero and one. Binary. Every CD play has something called a D/A converter, which stands for Digital/Analog, which reads the zeroes and ones, and converts them to an analog signal which can be played by speakers. Normal cd players CAN play CD-ROMs, but there simply isn't any way to output the signal in any usable way, nor control what it should be reading, thus you get the horrible static sounds. The sound of a CD player rests almost solely on the quality of its D/A converter; the motor could be changing speeds constantly without changing the sound due to the fact that it is digital information being read, therefore as long as all the data reaches the converter, it will be played at the correct rate. sorry to rant, but I've been seeing a lot of misinformation on the internet lately, and I felt obligated to say something. -Flyn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:28:25 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712112228.RAA07714@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on talk shows, CDs- Binary or no?, Info Club >as to be like the grooves on a record? I mean, the fact that it possibly >goes both ways would explain why a computer can read both audio cds and >CD-ROMS, but your average cd player (like, say, my "cheap-o" Sony five-cd >changer, as someone termed it- hmph! :) ) can't translate the CD-ROM >information. See what I mean? Actually, the main reason audio CD players can't/don't read computer CDs is because they are nowhere near as fast. I am told (although this is by no means verified) that an audio CD player can be adapted to be used with a computer, but it will be very slow, and it will die quickly due to the heavy workload. Mitcharf ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <66146dcb.34906832@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:24:46 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: LUCK. Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) actually, They DID steal andy, for a while anyways. in november of 96 i saw Them play at the roseland in NYC and Andy Richter was there! He opened up for them and the watched the concert the rest of the night. i was standing next to him at one point and i asked him if he like Them and he said "You bet your balls i do. They're up there as one of of my favorite bands!" Just a little fact in case you would like to know ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:27:27 -0800 (PST) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Compact Discs (way off topic) Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Flyn wrote: > almost solely on the quality of its D/A converter; the motor could be > changing speeds constantly without changing the sound due to the fact > that it is digital information being read, therefore as long as all the Almost right. The data is being clocked at a specific rate, and there are memory buffers to compensate for any difference between the rate the data is being read off the disc and the clock's rate. If they are too different, there could conceivably be dropped information. All audio CD's employ some sort of error detection and correction algorithm. Even though the pits that are being burned are 1's and 0's, the burning process is not necessarily perfect and error correction information is interleaved with the audio data to permit normally flawless playback. All of this is transparent to the end user - indeed, you can't tell if there are errors with an audio CD unless you buy an expensive bit error rate detector (several thousand $$). Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971211235631.00699c1c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:56:31 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: NONTMBG: CD's... I'm sick of these posts just digging in because I corrected someone. I'm sorry that the class I took was misinformed. Because there is such thing as a RECORD CD player (not official title) that reads good old vinyl with a laser, and guess what, it can read reeeaally bad conditioned records with Near-CD quality, I figured it was the same principal. So did my teacher and the other students. Don't go around telling me what an A to D converter is talking down on me, I'm not stupid, just misinformed. I don't need to be ostrasized (or mousersized) for my mistakes. This isn't the EVERYONE BUT YOU IS WRONG LIST it is the TMBG list, lets cut away from sending 600 posts pointing out some persons error. LDB (Who wished he could-a got leffel's oppinion before he sent this.) LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:02:11 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: NONTMBG: CD's... Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, The Lil' Depressed Boy wrote: > I'm sick of these posts just digging in because I corrected someone. I'm > sorry that the class I took was misinformed. Because there is such thing as > a RECORD CD player (not official title) that reads good old vinyl with a > laser, and guess what, it can read reeeaally bad conditioned records with > Near-CD quality, I figured it was the same principal. So did my teacher and > the other students. Don't go around telling me what an A to D converter is > talking down on me, I'm not stupid, just misinformed. I don't need to be > ostrasized (or mousersized) for my mistakes. This isn't the EVERYONE BUT > YOU IS WRONG LIST it is the TMBG list, lets cut away from sending 600 posts > pointing out some persons error. errrr...ok. i think you're overreacting here. no one insulted yo mama or anything. lighten up. not that im insulting you. hate to be insulted for insulting youre being insulted by another's non-insults. ppl just trying to inform..it is possible to say 'youre wrong' without degrading you as a person...aanyway. if theres anyone who is still not convinced (and i thinked of these and was very proud of myself and have to share) ack...n/m. lets just say cd-burners and multi-session cd-roms. off. chilll, willl kevin ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:05:07 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Labels Message-ID: <19971211.181349.6790.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (SLOWFALL N) There has been a lot of talk about labels for TMBG, but one name I've not heard is Mercury Records. I know they have the bosstones on there, and more than likely others. Just thought i'd add a little useful information instead of things like what i did on the weekend, or something else that some have been writing that has nothing to do with the reason people are on this list anyway, which is (in case you had forgotten), They Might Be Giants. "I find myself haunted by a spooky man named me" TMBG Sorry if i made anyone upset, but i had to tell the truth as i see it. SLOWFALL, Andy nich0ls ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971212001853.006673e8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:18:53 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NONTMBG: CD's... OK when someone who actually knew what they were talking about E-mailed me and said NO they are in Binary I was alright. BUT when 6 other posters posted the exact same message it became an insult. Someone can correct someone and not piss them off, but when a group corrects someone it hurts, its insulting. Now I wish I had not sent the first message that I thought that they were in grooves in the first place. Sorry for getting insulted just like of you would ended up, LDB LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:05:02 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199712120105.TAA14873@dfw-ix2.ix.netcom.com> From: expo67@ix.netcom.com (Amanda Nichols) Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary > >> CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. > >No the first poster was right I think - CD s are in binary, they may be >"grooves" but they are binary grooves. Binary may be a bad way to encode >music but that's how it is done. The answer is: second poster!! You win a twinkie. CDs and CD ROMs are burned exactly the same way- it's just what kind of information that appears on it makes it different. That's why you can have a CD with both music and computer-ready tracks. DAT also writes music in a series of 1's and 0's. Contrary to popular belief, this system is actually a great way to encode music, as it lets elements that would otherwise be ignored by human ears get a little time in the spotlight. SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write music. That is all. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:49:06 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > Oh yeah, some TMBG content...They were actually on Conan O'Brien, at least > once. When I saw them, they performed a song ("I Palindrome I", maybe?), > and then there was still time in the show, so Conan talked with them for a > while. They put the Dial-a-song number on the screen, Linnell fucked > around, and otherwise it was a fun time. It was classic. Okay, I'm out. > They played WDTSS? I believe, with the glockenspiel. Sarah "Glockenspiel is Hard to Spell" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:49:37 -0600 (CST) From: ***Tarnished Silence*** Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Message-ID: > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write > music. That is all. > Amanda > Binary is a good way to write a lot of things. Come to think of it, I think I'll go and write a program that converts TMBG lyrics into binary. Surely noone has done that before! :) Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712120144.AA03177@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: CD's... Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:44:40 -0500 (EST) > OK when someone who actually knew what they were talking about E-mailed me > and said NO they are in Binary I was alright. BUT when 6 other posters > posted the exact same message it became an insult. Someone can correct > someone and not piss them off, but when a group corrects someone it hurts, > its insulting. > > Now I wish I had not sent the first message that I thought that they were in > grooves in the first place. > > Sorry for getting insulted just like of you would ended up, > LDB When you send information that people know about or have an opinion on, you will always get multiple responses on a mailing list or newsgroup. Sometimes people don't see the first response because their Internet server has not sent the original response to them, so they think no one has answered. In this case, some people have said some correct things, and some incorrect things (or at least what each person perceived to be the truth) so they put in their 2 cents. I saw nothing insulting or ridiculing on the list. If you got some personal mail that reflected that attitude, well then you have every right to be angry. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:09:20 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Amanda Nichols wrote: > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write > music. That is all. oohhhhh-- a song with only two notes?? well, i guess if wakko warner can do it... --jim kuemmerle, who now has to go find some old terry riley records and remind himself that two notes are better than one... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:16:40 -0600 (CST) From: Jamal Rogers Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, J Kuemmerle wrote: > On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Amanda Nichols wrote: > > > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write > > music. That is all. > > oohhhhh-- a song with only two notes?? GAS MASK! GAS MASK! GAS MASK! Jamal "Why is that so funny" Rogers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:24:23 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Andy Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Hj bttrben wrote: > actually, They DID steal andy, for a while anyways. in november of 96 i saw > Them play at the roseland in NYC and Andy Richter was there! He opened up for > them and the watched the concert the rest of the night. i was standing next > to him at one point and i asked him if he like Them and he said "You bet your > balls i do. They're up there as one of of my favorite bands!" Just a little > fact in case you would like to know Oddly enough, Andy ventured into public for a great many shows in NYC. I heard news of him doing a similar thing at a Pavement show. He introduced the band and all that....funny thing is, people started heckling him, so he heckled right back and Pavement didn't manage to get on stage for a while longer. Or so I heard...I'm still stuck in the midwest, as I will be until I die. Lucky me. Anyway, enough of that...see y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:29:07 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Jamal Rogers wrote: > > > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write > > > music. That is all. > > > > oohhhhh-- a song with only two notes?? > > GAS MASK! GAS MASK! GAS MASK! > > Jamal "Why is that so funny" Rogers i've got it!!! we can translate jokes into binary! 0 1! 0 1! 0 1! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!! i want to be the first to do TMBG lyrics!! MINIMUM WAGE: 0 1! HELLO RADIO: 0? 0? 0? SIFTIN': 0, 0, 0... 0!!! 0, 0, 0... 0!!! 1, 1 1 1, 1 1 1 1, 1 1, 1 1 1, 1 1, 1 1... 1, 1 1 1, 1 1 1, 11 11 11 11 11 11, 1 1 1 11 11 11 11 11 11, 1 1 1 1 1 1 1.... 1 1 1 1.... j1m kuemme4le, wh0 l1kes th1s wh0le b1na4y th4ead... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <807a2a5d.3490a3aa@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:38:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: BMG Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) My grandpa used to work for BMG before he retired, and I think that would be a really good thing for TMBG to be on BMG. They are a good middle-sized label, not too big so as the Johns would be ignored, but big enough so They would get lots of publicity. Plus, I could get tickets from my grandpa's friends who work for the label still. An all around good deal. Graham ------------------------------ From: Christi587 Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:31:51 EST Subject: TMBG: Viola sand, not wrote, TTYD Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I was going throuhg some old files and realized I still had the e-mail I originally sent a year or two ago about the whole Mike-Viola-does-That-Thing- You-Do-and-gets-no-credit fiasco. It turns out he did not write the song, but he did sing it and play guitar. This topic came up a while ago, so I just thought some of you might like to read the article. Obviously, I left out some parts, probably because they were boring or unrelated. ********* Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Reply-to: Christi587@aol.com To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org I was feeling annoyed earlier this afternoon (wouldn't you if you had a $20 gift certificate for Tower and a particular album waiting to be bought, and yet no way to get there?) so I sat down with the newspaper to try to take my mind off it. In the style section, I noticed a photo and thought "Gee, that looks like one of the guys that opened for Them... naahh, couldn't be." Here, somewhat abridged, is the article I was then fairly surprised to read (from Washington Post): *** Lip-Synching Feeling Musician Down About Unsung Movie Role So, just who does do "That Thing You Do!"? Folks seeing the new film, written and directed by Tom Hanks, about a one-hit band called the Wonders may be excused for thinking that the song is sung by Johnathon Schaech, who plays Jimmy, the Wonders' moody singer-songwriter. There's nothing in the credits for the film, or its attendant soundtrack on Epic, to indicate otherwise, even if there's also nothing to suggest that Schaech is the singer. Adam Schlesinger, who wrote the song, is clearly identified as its author. But the artist whose voice is heard singing the song 11 times during the film is buried deep in the listings. Only after a cast list of 100 and a production list of 200, after a rundown of the film's songs and 20 "Additional Musicians," does there appear this credit: "Additional Vocals by...... Mike Viola." "My experience is that when you do something, you get credit for it, " says Viola, half of the New York pop-rock duo the Candy Butchers. ["AHA!!" I thought] To add insult to injury, Viola is listed after the "First Aid," "Catering," and "Animals Supplied by" credits. "There's only one horse in the movie, and I came after *that*, so it just bummed me out." Viola's hardly the first singer to labor anonymously in Hollywood... blah blah blah... Viola, however, has not been silent about the situation. "No one ever said, 'Plese be hush-hush,'" Viola said Wednesday from New York, where he's working on a Candy Butchers album for early next year. blah blah blah... "Everyone knew going in what it was all about," [Gary] Goetzman [, film/soundtrack producer] says. "Mike's a royalty artist on the album and he got paid to do it, so I don't understand why he has this problem. We've always liked Mike's vocal on 'That Thing You Do!' He sang the song great." Let's step back in time. Last year, Tom Hanks sent word to a number of musicians that he was looking for a Beatlesque song with a specific title: "That Thing You Do!" Among the the 300 submissions was one from Adam Schlesinger of the band Fountains of Wayne (whose debut album was released lat Tuesday). "It had to have an upbeat sound... blah blah blah" Schlesinger recalled Wednesday from Los Angeles, where he was promoting his new album. So Schlesinger called in his longtime buddy Viola and together they made a demo, Viola on vocals and guitar, Schlesinger on bass and drums. "We did it one afternoon and tried to keep it as low-tech as we could: a drum set with a couple of mikes, all of us singing backup aound one microphone... blah blah blah." "It was a gas," Viola says. "Just for fun, never thinking we'd actually get the song in the movie. There was a certain energy-- actually, I had a hangover and my voice was all rough, but there was an enthusiastic energy that's hard to re-create." Schlesinger had enlisted Viola because "his voice was perfect for this kind of hit. The day we recorded it, I said, 'Don't be surprised if this isn't the last you've heard about this.'" And that's what happened. The song was accepted by Hanks. Viola went out to California to re-record the vocals for three different versions of "TTYD!" and to do leads on two other Wonders tracks. "My main concern was getting the vocal," Viola says. "I wasn't really thinking about credits and contracts." Viola even did an later session, dubbing a scene in which actor Schaech works on the song witht the band in the garage just before a talent show. "It was weird since the tables were turned, and I had to follow the action on screen and he was taking breaths at impossible moments, not knowing any better because he's not a singer." "You know, I thought I'd be more blown away seeing someone lip-synching to my voice, but it's just such a happy, innocuous film, it just oozed out of the screen." Of course, it's frustrating that Viola's uncredited voice is likely to be heard a lot over the next few months: The single from the soundtrack is beginning to pick up steam at radio stations, and if the movie becomes the hit everyone expects, there will be some major video exposure on MTV and VH-1-- the kind of exposure most artists pray for. What they don't pray for is the opportunity to compete against themselves. "If they want to know who sang "TTYD!", people can find it if they look for it," Gary Goetzman says. "Mike Viola will always get credit for the fabulous vocal he did." *** There you go. --Christy ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-345 ******************************