Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-346 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 346 Saturday, 13 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: CDs versus Wax Cylinders versus Don Incognito versus Roosta TMBG: aggression TMBG: re: phish & tmbg Re: TMBG: aggression TMBG: CD's are binary...but it ain't the best way... Re: TMBG: aggression TMBG: Conan, and more... Re: TMBG: aggression Re: TMBG: LABELS Re: TMBG: CDs versus Wax Cylinders versus Don Incognito versus Roosta TMBG: never fear, you are not alone TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list TMBG: Christmas list addition Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape Re: TMBG: stompbox Re: TMBG: random b(mg)abble NON-TMBG: BMG & Columbia House Re: TMBG: stompbox TMBG: New catalog orders TMBG: tmbg on conan Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape Re: TMBG: New catalog orders Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape TMBG: A common rumor dispelled Re: TMBG: stompbox Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian TMBG: they on jeopardy Re: TMBG: they on jeopardy TMBG: Worcester Re: TMBG: stompbox Non-TMBG: they on jeopardy -- Troubadour Re: TMBG: Andy Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199712120517.XAA21230@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: CDs versus Wax Cylinders versus Don Incognito versus Roosta Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:01:34 -0600 Hey, I saw a message here about how CDs eventually wear out... umm... that _was_ pertaining to the actual disc, and not the magic tunes inside the thing, was it? Of course, come the millenium, we're all going to die, either from that toxic gas, or the solar flare... what exists trapped in a magnetic void or digital encoding will be of little use to our flaming cursed selves then.... Oh, and I got a nice big ol' update to my pagey wagey too.. see the splendor of a Very Spock Christmas, and some other crap as I waste my life away, amusing myself with paint shop pro instead of living. Oh, when will the dark grasp of death finally gain hold of me once more?! WHEN!?!?! Mike "I wish I was Doctor Doom's love slave" Leffel ---Yes, I wish I was Ben Grimm. (shudder!) http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.htm http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html Remember! They disappear as soon as a scanner have I! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 01:17:12 -0500 (EST) From: The Living Behemoth Subject: TMBG: aggression Message-id: People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because they are more aggressive. What's up with that? *************************************************************************** "There are three kinds of people in the world--those who can count and those who can't." "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stranger." "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 01:56:08 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: re: phish & tmbg Message-ID: > That brings something up that I have been > wondering. Is there any other Phish AND They Might Be Giants fans out > there. Usually I get a reaction like how can you like both bands, but > for some reason I do. So do I. :) Unfortunately, I don't get to many concerts in general, and both of these are bands where it seems like the live show experience is so essential, you know? TMBG never comes here, but somehow I just keep missing Phish when they do come here, by some eternal stroke of bad luck. :( I'm much more of a novice Phish fan than TMBG, though--the only albums I've got are A Picture of Nectar and Billy Breathes. And yeah, they're obviously very different bands, but I think it's the fact that both of them do what they do so well. Wow, that sounded really general . . . I mean that they're all such excellent musicians. I just had an amusing thought--can you imagine a Phish / TMBG show? Half of the audience would be stoned and the other half would be wired up on caffeine. :-D OK, time for bed. --Tara, who has to take the GRE Literature Subject Test on Saturday. Three hours of pure hell. :( -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 01:01:34 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: aggression Message-ID: On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, The Living Behemoth wrote: > People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because > they are more aggressive. What's up with that? i think one of the things that attracts many of TMBG's fans is the fact that most of their songs *aren't* aggressive. in fact, perhaps that may be a big reason why apollo 18 was not so well recieved as flood; i am one of those TMBG fans that got hooked by flood and stuck around after that. but when apollo 18 came out, i put in the tape and the first thing i heard was the (relatively) agressive guitar, drums, and synth of 'dig my grave', followed by the musically more flood-ish but lyrically not so much 'i palindrome i', starting things off with 'someday mother will die and i'll get the money'!? (admit it; you were thrown, too, your first time!) i was beginning (lynch me not) to have my doubts. until i heard the line 'she's stuck in my heart now, where my blood belongs.' the apollo 18 era as a whole is probably my favorite TMBG stylistic period, but it was not always thus. --jim kuemmerle, who still isn't terribly fond of 'see the constellation' but whose world is rocked by 'space suit' every single time he hears it... OOOH!! OOOH!! 'Space Suit' lyrics IN BINARY!!: j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971212031547.006b27f8@pop.erols.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 03:15:47 -0500 From: Christopher Spangler Subject: TMBG: CD's are binary...but it ain't the best way... LISTEN to the SOUND of my VOICE! > The answer is: second poster!! You win a twinkie. CDs and CD >ROMs are burned exactly the same way- it's just what kind of >information that appears on it makes it different. That's why you can >have a CD with both music and computer-ready tracks. DAT also writes >music in a series of 1's and 0's. Agreed! (Fine example...Fiona Apple's Tidal CD...has photos, some bio data, and a compressed, loss-riddled version of her first video) >Contrary to popular belief, this >system is actually a great way to encode music, as it lets elements >that would otherwise be ignored by human ears get a little time in the >spotlight. Agreed...sort of. Digital recordings _do_ change some aspects of the music, but it's not necessarily all for the best. Analog recordings (tapes, vinyl) are closer representations of the true nature of the music than CDs are, because converting the pure, smooth, perfect, analog sounds of instruments to digital causes a bit of loss. Some people (e.g. audiophiles with $10,000 systems, or those whose lives generally revolve around music) say that CDs produce a slightly colder, harsher tone of music than analog recordings. This would (partially) explain why vinyl is making a comeback; purists are requesting it. The sum of reasons for introducing CDs as a new form of media for music were: 1) they're highly portable 2) they're nearly indestructable 3) they're nearly as cheap to produce as wax, but we can charge _so_ much more for them! 4) people hear "digital" and think "wow, that must be _much_ better!" 5) the suckers will have to buy all new equipment to listen to them! > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write >music. That is all. To re-sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a _decent_ way to record music, but given the advantages of the little plastic disc compared to the big floppy vinyl one, it's easy enough to overlook the bad points. That is _my_ all, at least. One final note, specifically for "The Lil' Depressed Boy", who's tired of getting bombarded by "corrections" and people telling him to get a clue. Sorry you had to go through that, but at least you and everybody else got a little extra knowledge out of it. I doubt people were deliberately trying to be dickheads about it. --Chris --who can be heard screaming, "Slither some more, Fiona!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712121121.GAA18433@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Empty as a Pocket" Date: Fri, 12 Dec 97 06:22:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: aggression On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 01:17:12 -0500 (EST), The Living Behemoth wrote: >People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because >they are more aggressive. What's up with that? I dunno... I think Stompbox is one of the more fun songs they've done recently. I don't like Dig My Grave a whole ton, but it's not because of any aggression. But then, am I people? :) =] Carl Hudkins + chud@vnet.net [Team OS/2] + http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing [h ] Windows 95 from my hard drive." [e =] --HAL 9000 (Arthur C. Clarke wishes) [r ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971212053434.007b2360@pop.teleport.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 05:34:34 -0800 From: Kerry Biggs Subject: TMBG: Conan, and more... Quick post here as I should be sleeping... TMBG was on Conan three times: once playing "Why Does The Sun Shine?" back in 1993, during his first season, where Brian Doherty was on the glock and Graham (yes, Graham) on the bass. There was a nifty little interview after. They then appeared in support of John Henry and played "NyQuil Driver" in the Tony "Mo Money" Maimone days, and then of course, last fall, when They were on with the crazy suits and the string section and the works doing "S-E-X-X-Y". Conan has already been very, very kind to TMBG. You won't be seeing them on again at least until they have something new out. BMG is/was a label and a distributor, as well a cheesy music club, to my understanding. I've never actually had a cd wear out on me, and I own around 450 of them. How does it happen? And finally, TMBG is indeed one of the finest live acts around, don't let anybody tell you different. I think maybe only a Jon Spencer Blues Explosion show tops their concerts, but it's really close. Kerry http://www.teleport.com/~murmur/lrtmbg.htm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3491726D.6817@rachel.chatham.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:20:45 -0800 From: pnaomi Organization: none whatsoever Subject: Re: TMBG: aggression jr7245@cnsvax.albany.edu wrote... > People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because > they are more aggressive. What's up with that? duh... idunno. (wouldn't it have been funny if i just left it like that? sure it would) perhaps tmbg's fan base is comprised more of the Moxy Fruvous, "Monty Python Sings" types than the Black Flag, "World's Most Romantic Punk Songs" types. that's just a theory. i happen to like the more aggressive songs over most of the songs on Miscellaneous T . . . but then again, there's only so much Monty Python music I can stand.... not that I'm comparing tmbg to monty python! dammit, i've just condemned myself, haven't i? oh well. it is a good day to die. * --------------------------------------------------- "Some call her great, others think she's a jerk." pnaomi, Queen of Insufficient Light Chatham College Student nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu * --------------------------------------------------- This is just a small fraction of the transmissions we intercepted from sector ZX-29B. To read more, you must use an earth form of communication and view the Forbidden Planet: http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~vlm/forbidden/ Music, Sci-fi, and a plan to take over your planet. Recent events: an interview with Bruce Sterling and a ZX-29B invasion report. * --------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712121453.JAA21913@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:53:44 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: Re: TMBG: LABELS Andy wrote: >There has been a lot of talk about labels for TMBG, but >one name I've not heard is Mercury Records. I know they have the >bosstones on there, and more than likely others. An interesting thought. Elvis Costello has not officially announced the move, but it's strongly suspected he's moving to Mercury. And what was his former company? Warner Bros., of which Elektra is a subsidiary. Costello wants to freely collaborate with other artists and follow his muse, be it a jazz or rock or string quartet vein. He feels his critical acclaim and solid fan base earns him the right to such freedom, and to have his efforts promoted in good faith by a label who shares his vision. No different from any performer, I suppose, but then, Elvis is not like many other performers out there. Might TMBG discover the same kindred spirits at Mercury, and follow Elvis's lead there? I certainly want them to find a label that will encourage their diverse styles without lumping them into the "quirky" bin. Peace, Brett _ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34917F12.3AA4@rachel.chatham.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:14:42 -0800 From: "pnaomi, Queen of Insufficient Light" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs versus Wax Cylinders versus Don Incognito versus Roosta > Hey, I saw a message here about how CDs eventually > wear out... umm... that _was_ pertaining to the actual > disc, and not the magic tunes inside the thing, was it? yep, the actual disc. it does happen, and i'm not talking about their deliberate use as frisbees, nor am i referring to keeping them in an airtight, hermetically-sealed chamber for all of their indestructibly-plastic lives. cd players, depending on their degree of Awesome-ness, handle their digitally-encoded progeny with certain amounts of roughness (Awesome-ness is inversely proportional to roughness). For instance, when the cd player is trying to place the cd carefully back onto the read-plate... or when the cd-spinner *thinks* it has the cd in its grasp, but not really.... you see what I mean? of course, the real culprit is YOU, the hapless consumer!!! yes, You, with your less-than-robotically-precise putting-of-the-cd from the case to the cd player and back again!!! Shame on you! I'm exaggerating, of course, but you get the idea. you can't possibly expect anything to last forever without a *little* deformation, plastic especially! Anyway, to finish up the BMG thing once and for all -- CD's are capable and do occasionally get deformed from normal use, and BMG uses less-than-standard quality materials to construct their CD's to save production costs. Is good? Is clear? Ok. Don't make me start naming relatives at music labels to back me up, and see if I don't! Now. Does anybody know when the next TMBG album is coming out? I am getting very antsy, soon to become cranky. --pnaomi * -------------------------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it a coincidence -- you show up, 3 people DIE?! . . . Well?!" "Oh, I thought it was some sort of rhetorical-- why, yes, it *is* a coincidence!" [Doctor Who.] pnaomi, Queen of Insufficient Light nmoos1@rachel.chatham.edu (412) 365-1785 * -------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971212105435.006e2940@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:54:35 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: never fear, you are not alone I first saw TMBG on Liquid Television, but I was already a fan. I thought it was cool though!! I knew Istanbul from the Oldies station which played the original quite often, to my surprise. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ From: PaulLB Message-ID: <45fde92e.349169b7@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:43:33 EST Subject: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Something I've posted in some form or another in previous years. (add on if you wish, but remember nothing actually mensioned in the song title) My TMBG Christmas Wish List: A long, long trailer A burn smell factory A brand-new Indian Headdress A six-pack of Miller High Life A wall of trombones A desktop globe Some Johnson's Wax A shovel and a fork A metal ball hung from a chain A mirror on the wall A blue canary night light (my girlfriend actually found one of these and gave it to me last Christmas) A bag a groceries A watch with a minute hand, a millennium hand and an eon hand. A blue magic marker A medical chart (with a random zig-zag) A book by Nostrdamus A screaming fire engine siren A paper white mask of Evil A prosthetic forehead A dinner jacket (with some dinner still on it) A swirling mass of water A ride home with a drunk guy A spy plane A famous Belgian painter A flaming wreak A bathing beauty doll A shy hook A car protected by Viper A groovy thing Cotton in my ears And, of course: Fondue forks for EVERYBODY! Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:16:42 -0600 (CST) From: ***Tarnished Silence*** Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Message-ID: > A blue magic marker Um, isn't this supposed to be a green magic marker? Sorry to be picky. Oh, and hey, I want an answering machine. Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:00:13 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Message-ID: On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, ***Tarnished Silence*** wrote: > > A blue magic marker > > Um, isn't this supposed to be a green magic marker? Sorry to be picky. > > Oh, and hey, I want an answering machine. I want Dr. Spock's back-up band! -ellen "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971212140403.006a03a4@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:04:03 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list At 02:00 PM 12/12/97 -0500, you wrote: > >I want Dr. Spock's back-up band! I put Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band on my Christmas list not really expecting to get it, but my dad said he found some place in Canada that has one copy of it left on CD... I just hope he's not kidding...I've been looking for it for 2 years, and he supposedly finds it in less than a day. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34918F13.AEBCB51F@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 12:22:59 -0700 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Christmas list addition I've always wanted a spiraling shape, and a charred and smoking chair...anyone else? :P Refund? ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:40:00 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape Message-ID: <19971212.144330.15870.4.Mr.Train@juno.com> OK... doe sANYONE have Monty Python's "Christmas in Heaven?" I have and MP3 and have no way of getting it onto a tape! Please contact me so I can send you a tape or you send me a tape or whatever! I'll even put a bootleg on it if you send a tape to me with it on there! I know probably NO ONE will have it... but does anyone have Bob and Doug McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas?? I LOVE THAT! Tim, eh? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: On the Drag On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:20:45 -0800 pnaomi writes: >"Monty Python Sings" types than the Black Flag, "World's Most >Romantic Punk Songs" types. that's just a theory. <> ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:34:48 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: stompbox Message-ID: <19971212.144330.15870.3.Mr.Train@juno.com> One of my friends is in a hardcore band (uch!) and he recently told me that a stompbox (because we were discussing TMBG's more agressive songs, and, incidently, those were the two I mentioned [DMG and Stompbox]) is a distortion pedal! I had no idea! After I looked it up in our dictionary expecting to find an old English word for a voodoo book or a witche's trunk it is a distortion pedal for a guitar! I just thought I'd spread the news in case anyone was as puzzled as me... BTW, Stompbox is NOT in my dictionary... Tim, it's not his birthday Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: On the Drag On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 01:17:12 -0500 (EST) The Living Behemoth writes: >People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" >because >they are more aggressive. What's up with that? > > >*************************************************************************** > >"There are three kinds of people in the world--those who can count and > those who can't." >"Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stranger." >"The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy >Warhol > > ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:07:09 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: random b(mg)abble Message-ID: <19971212.144330.15870.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> My friend ordered the Live CD "Throwing Copper" and when she played it it was Neal Diamond!!! It freaked us out... the case and booklet were from the Live CD and the art on the CD itself said Live and was olive green and everything like the REAL CD, but when you played it you got Neal Diamond (not sure which album) the cool thing is, she got to keep it and they sent her another one... I hat how they put BMG on all their CDs... I am a member of Columbia House and it has been an enjoyable member ship... They just gave me this offer to annul my old membership and get a new one with 12 free CDs! It was great getting that one blast of music all in one day... I did order Flood, Apollo 18, and John Henry from them when I first joined a while back they have been very reliable! No problems at all... Tim, he knows all your secrets Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: On The Drag On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 03:41:32 -0600 (CST) Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> writes: >> not to mention that BMG is really bad. customer service is >terrible, >> and their policies are not made perfectly clear, nor is the phone >number >> through which to contact them made available on any material >(although >> it is available from information) > >Yeah, my Frank Black, R.E.M. and Pixies CDs arrived in, well, >shattered >cases. The Pixies one in particular was just pulverized. I can't >believe >the CD survived! I didn't even bother to send them back because I was >afraid that if I did, I'd never get replacements OR a refund, so I >decided >to keep the stuff since it worked and all. And then there was the >other >time when they sent me the completely wrong CD. They actually >responded >to that one fairly quickly, though, which was nice of them. I don't >remember whether or not I ever found a phone number, but I wrote to >some >sort of customer service address and got a fairly speedy response. >>SNIP<< ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712121951.AA03869@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: BMG & Columbia House Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:51:12 -0500 (EST) I did notice that Columbia House has a much better selection than BMG ever had. If you look at CH's A-Z catalog (sorta like TMBG's A-Z but bigger and with less pictures) I found a number of CDs I'd consider getting, but with BMG I had a hard enough time finding those 8 or 10 free CDs that they give you. of course, this was about 3-4 years ago, I'd say, maybe things have changed since then. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:05:44 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: stompbox Message-id: <34919918.BAB5DBFB@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > One of my friends is in a hardcore band (uch!) and he recently told me > that a stompbox (because we were discussing TMBG's more agressive songs, > and, incidently, those were the two I mentioned [DMG and Stompbox]) is a > distortion pedal! I had no idea! After I looked it up in our dictionary Actually, a stomp box is slang for any guitar pedal that you stomp on to make it work (so I guess a wah isn't really a stomp box per se). Stomp boxes are little cheap thrills that add to your guitar sounds and lots of people have 8 or 9 daisy chained together on the floor in front of them. Things like flange, distortion, chorus. They's actually all stomp boxes. - Chad "Them's some nice stomping boys" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:17:44 -0500 (EST) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: New catalog orders Message-ID: Hey, I was just curious if anybody got any of the merchandise they ordered from the new catalog. I think I horribly confused them...so I would like to know if other people have started to get stuff already...you can answer by email if you like... Jish :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:18:37 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: tmbg on conan Message-ID: > Oh yeah, some TMBG content...They were actually on Conan O'Brien, at > least once. When I saw them, they performed a song ("I Palindrome I", > maybe?), and then there was still time in the show, so Conan talked with > them for a while. They put the Dial-a-song number on the screen, > Linnell fucked around, and otherwise it was a fun time. It was classic. > Okay, I'm out. There was also a performance on Conan where They did WDTSS? and Linnell's "the heat and light of the sun are caused by a nuclear reaction..." list included "hydrogen, nitrogen, thiamin, Nutrasweet, haminin, hazim, hezm, and....hydrogen." The interview portion is funny too, because Flans does a William Shatner impersonation, announces that TMBG has been playing together for 100 years, and, upon learning that Conan also grew up in the Boston area, asks him if he ever used the word "pissa" as a child. :) Linnell was wearing a really awesome Brian Dewan t-shirt. (He looked really cute, too.) :) > Bill Tatalovich, still up at 6:00 am Wow, I did that a couple times last week too. Not fun. :( --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:41:15 -0800 (PST) From: winningh Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Message-ID: I don't want the world, I just want your half Oh, yeah, and a bag of beef too Sarah "Its All About Me" Winningham ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:01:32 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: My TMBG X-mas wish list Message-ID: On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, winningh wrote: > I don't want the world, I just want your half > Oh, yeah, and a bag of beef too *i* don't want a bag of beef. but i don't know whether i'd rather be having a bottle of vinegar or whether i'd rather be having an egg, so what do i know? -jim kuemmerle, who feels one thousand years old. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:20:38 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712122220.RAA20038@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape At 02:40 PM 12/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >OK... doe sANYONE have Monty Python's "Christmas in Heaven?" I have and >MP3 and have no way of getting it onto a tape! Please contact me so I >can send you a tape or you send me a tape or whatever! I'll even put a >bootleg on it if you send a tape to me with it on there! Why don't you buy the "Monty Python Sings" CD? It's well worth it. Mitch ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: <3ab710ae.3491b6c9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:11:00 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: New catalog orders Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) well i am still waiting for new and old catloge orders. The Ben ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3491BDD8.71356683@cannet.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:42:33 -0500 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: STILL the Christmas tape mr.train@juno.com wrote: > OK... doe sANYONE have Monty Python's "Christmas in Heaven?" I have and > MP3 and have no way of getting it onto a tape! Please contact me so I > can send you a tape or you send me a tape or whatever! I'll even put a > bootleg on it if you send a tape to me with it on there! > I know probably NO ONE will have it... but does anyone have Bob and Doug > McKenzie's 12 Days of Christmas?? I LOVE THAT! > Actually I do have that cd. I'd be glad to make an mp3 of that song if you want me to. Hell maybe even the whole cd if anyone wants it Mike "3 french toast, 2 turtle necks, and beer......in a tree" Blaser ------------------------------ From: PaulLB Message-ID: <1acdc8b6.3491c0bf@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:42:30 EST Subject: TMBG: A common rumor dispelled Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) "The Lil' Depressed Boy" said >Uhhhhh, that one is wrong. CD's are not in binary. CD roms are. CD's are >more like tiny little records that are read with a laser not a needle. >Binary would be a very bad way to encode music. That is why our "grooves" >are put in "grooves" still. Pardon me if I'm missing some kind of joke or gag, but this is 100% wrong. CD's are absolutely digital (binary). That means all the information contained therein are ones and zeros and that's it. Nothing analog but the printing. CD's are nothing like vinyl records in the sense of how they store and playback data. Again, sorry if this was supposed to be a joke. Also sorry if 25,000 people have already responded to this (life on the digest can be a bitch). Hope to see as many of you as possible at WPI tomorrow. Hi John and John. Yer Pal Paul Not back on that old Time is Money kick, still on it. ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:42:11 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: stompbox Message-ID: <396AB3E48E7@athena.valpo.edu> of course stomp box isn't in the dictionary. it's very much a guitar player's slang. you probably won't find guitarists defenitions for saddle, nut, and bridge in the dictionary either. actually, stomp box in a broad sense refers to any sort of toggle switching floor pedal such as delay or chorus, but distortion is where it gets the most use. anybody know if they ran the vocals in stomp box through an actual stomp box or a digital processor to get that distorted sound? just curious, it would make the song that much cooler. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <8e50205b.3491ce09@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:50:43 EST Subject: Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) they were also on Conan about a year agao and played S-E-X-X-Y....conan didnt even have time to talk to them, so they just played and the show was over....... amber ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712130035.SAA15062@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:18:48 -0600 While feverishly trying to stir fry my undies, I noticed someone quothing... > > once. > > > they were also on Conan about a year agao and played S-E-X-X-Y....conan didnt > even have time to talk to them, so they just played and the show was > over....... I happened on that show completely by delightful accident... I had just woken up and glanced at the tube...I heard the hapless announcer cry "They might Be Giants!" and I wet my ancestors pants in glee. Hooray for Conan! Hooray for Percodan! Hooray for mud and crackers! Hoooooray! Mike "I make you go from this... ooooh! ooooh! Oooh! ...to this!.. Aaahhhhh HAAAAAAA!!!" Leffel --really a robot with a bat controlling me. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:43:08 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian Message-Id: I have the Conan S-E-X-X-Y performance on video tape. Lucky me! If anyone is interested in getting a copy just email me (not the whole list). Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:19:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: they on jeopardy Message-ID: <19971212.181944.11470.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! okay, so i turn on the TV and plan to watch the simpsons when somehow jeopardy ends up on tv... all i know is that in the past 10minutes "James K Polk" "john Henry" and "planet of the apes" have all been answers (i guess they're actually questions...). don't flame me for the totally irrelevant post... so what if i can sit here and pretend that some guy that writes the questions (erg, answers) for the show recently attended a TMBG show =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***AQUABATS... tomorrow!!*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971212215656.008f4100@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:56:56 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: they on jeopardy At 06:19 PM 12/12/97 -0700, you wrote: >hEy HEy! >okay, so i turn on the TV and plan to watch the simpsons when somehow >jeopardy ends up on tv... >all i know is that in the past 10minutes "James K Polk" "john Henry" and >"planet of the apes" have all been answers (i guess they're actually >questions...). >don't flame me for the totally irrelevant post... so what if i can sit >here and pretend that some guy that writes the questions (erg, answers) >for the show recently attended a TMBG show =) > I saw the same thing! Also, one of the questions (answers) involved trubadors. (What IS the spelling on that?) Dylan "Alex Trebek=Mike Leffel? Think about it!" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <6a107737.3491f8b7@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:53:14 EST Subject: TMBG: Worcester Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) what time is the Worcester show tomorrow, someone EMail me back, immediatly....please? Jason ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: stompbox Message-ID: <19971212.192741.6287.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:07:41 EST I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but... one night I was at a friends house, jamin out w/ a couple of my buddies, and they had this pedal thingy, they called it a pedal, and they plugged their guitar into it, distortion was definitely there, then they started experimenting, they plugged keyboards and microphones directly into it, we had a smashing time, making are voices all weird and satanic, is this a "stompbox"? Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:28:23 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712130428.XAA07462@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: they on jeopardy -- Troubadour >of the questions (answers) involved >trubadors. (What IS the spelling on that?) Troubadour. Mitch ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <7639fde0.349219f9@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 00:15:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Andy Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) yeah. at the roseland show people started to yell out "YOU SUCK!". but andy was hilarious when this happened. he started saying stuff like "get to know me well enough and maybe i do" and other stuff. it was pretty funny ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-346 ******************************