Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-347 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 347 Sunday, 14 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: NG? Re: TMBG: acquired tastes TMBG: Re: aggression TMBG: Where'd ya get that night light? TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm Re: TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm Re: TMBG: acquired tastes TMBG: They Country?!? Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Re: TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm Re: TMBG: Re: aggression TMBG: re: aggression TMBG: TMBG and SNL TMBG: phish n stuff Re: TMBG: TMBG and SNL TMBLateNite (was: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian) Re: TMBG: phish n DMB TMBG: lyrics TMBG: achtung hutch TMBG: funny story TMBG: What does a TMBG fan look like, try Glamour magazine.... Re: TMBLateNite (was: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian) TMBG: CD clubs, how to get the best deal Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 01:16:45 -0600 (CST) From: ***Tarnished Silence*** Subject: TMBG: NG? Message-ID: I'm on a humor listserv, and I noticed the submittor of a joke's name: Submitted by: Mandy Ng Cool, huh? Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <3d02e28d.34924f7d@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:03:55 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-13 02:46:27 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: << A friend of mine always frowned upon TMBG, he had heard a few of their songs and didn't enjoy them. >> there isnt anyone in the town i live in who likes TMBG, my best friend hates them and i drug her to their show in dallas. she has always stated how dumb she thought they were, but admitted that they put on a very entertaining show and can now tolerate their music and even likes a few (still very few) songs by them...... amber ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34929523.7BDB17FA@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 06:01:11 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: aggression The Living Behemoth said, "People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because they are more aggressive. What's up with that?" I sez: And then again many people tend to LIKE those songs for the same reason. Granted, a lot of them are the ones who'll acidentally bash you in the head with there big stinkin' combat boots during a "pass the dude" thing. And then there's people like you and me that love those tunes for all their angry energy. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "When you go down to where you know don't forget what you don't know" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3492A197.BA9DA50D@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 06:54:19 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Where'd ya get that night light? Yer Pal Paul mentioned ( in his "My TMBG Christmas Wish List"): "...A blue canary night light (my girlfriend actually found one of these and gave it to me last Christmas)" I hope you saved the packaging so you can tell us all the name of the company that manufactured this goody. Or at least where she got it. Also this makes me wonder about something. (Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?) Sometimes plastic molds are used for decades by manufacturers (if they sell well.) Could this Blue Canary be a replica of the thing which inspired the song? Hmmmm? Has anyone else seen one of these? On the subject of rock-related night lights, has anyone recently seen one in the shape of Donald Duck? I can't find one anywhere. It's mentioned in the lyrics to Roger Waters' song "The Tide is Turning". I have a friend who's a loves both Donald Duck and Pink Floyd/Waters so that would be the ultimate gift for her. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "Used to look in on the children at night In the glow of their Donald Duck light And frighten myself with the thought of my little ones burning" -Roger Waters ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3492ACB3.1EA36DEB@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 07:41:46 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm I was looking at the "Thermostat" lyrics today and I noticed something I never caught onto: "...is the thermostat engulfed in flames or is it just me?" I always heard the line but I never got it. This is obviously reference to the often spoken phrase: "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" Did no one previously notice this ... or is it just me? In a similar vein, I've never seen anyone mention the obvious TV commercial reference in "Dr. Worm". In the mid-1980's there were these ridiculous commercials in which an actor from a television hospital drama would endorse some brand of pain relief tablets with the statement, "I'm not a real doctor but I play one on TV"--- as if anyone would be stupid enough to believe playing a doctor on TV somehow makes you a medical authority. In fact stand-up comedians often joked about how moronic the commercial was. You remember it now, right? -B O N G O ______________________________ "When you go down to where you know don't forget what you don't know" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 09:07:08 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm Message-ID: On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Bongo wrote: > "...is the thermostat engulfed in flames or is it just me?" I always > heard the line but I never got it. This is obviously reference to the > often spoken phrase: "Is it hot in here or is it just me?" Did no one > previously notice this ... or is it just me? i'd noticed the 'or is it just me' part, but i'd never made the connection between 'is it hot in here' and 'is the thermostat engulfed in flames'... -jim kuemmerle, who's not a real doctor, but who will be (Ph.D.) in about 5-7 years... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971213163842.0068a354@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:38:42 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Hmmmmm. Odd. NO ONE?!? NO1?!? Hmmmmm, thats weird here in Kansas, EVERYONE (OR almost) loves They Might Be Giants. I put on any of their albums in school and most everybody sings-a-long, except for the people who it is there first time hearing that song, but they no the words the next time it rolls around. So I want to know how many people usually show up at a TMBG concert? I'm pretti sure I could rally up enough people to come if THEY ever come near us. It's funny I always get compliments on the music I choose when doing the school announcments (Usually, TMBG, Lincoln, Mono Puff, and the "rarities" from my vault). So I still don't understand why they stay the hell away from Witchita. We would all drive an hour to go see Them, plus there would be a bunch of people showing up from Witchita too. I hear Soul Coughing likes witchita, why not They? LDB At 04:03 AM 12/13/97 EST, ForScience wrote: >In a message dated 97-12-13 02:46:27 EST, gray42@juno.com writes: > ><< A friend of mine always frowned upon TMBG, he had heard a few of their > songs and didn't enjoy them. >> > >there isnt anyone in the town i live in who likes TMBG, my best friend hates >them and i drug her to their show in dallas. she has always stated how dumb >she thought they were, but admitted that they put on a very entertaining show >and can now tolerate their music and even likes a few (still very few) songs >by them...... > >amber > > LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971213164658.0068d690@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:46:58 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: They Country?!? I was talking to a girl who only listens to country, and hates everything else. So I bring up They Might Be Giants and then she went off on how much she loved Them. I told her, I thought you only liked country. Turns out she thought They (based on listening to flood) were country. Looks like they crosses the musical boundries! Lil Dep Boy LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:26:18 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712131726.MAA14710@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes ><< A friend of mine always frowned upon TMBG, he had heard a few of their > songs and didn't enjoy them. >> > >there isnt anyone in the town i live in who likes TMBG, my best friend hates >them and i drug her to their show in dallas. she has always stated how dumb I can understand wanting someone to go to a TMBG concert, but if you have to drug them... well, let's just say that one should only go so far when trying to expose someone to the greatness of TMBG. "Yeah, after I shot my stubborn friend with the tranquilizer gun and kept them under heavy sedation during the show, they told me they liked They Might Be Giants, and could I please let them go..." Mitch ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:28:11 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712131728.MAA14880@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Did you notice these references? Thermostat, Dr.Worm At 07:41 AM 12/13/97 -0800, you wrote: > I was looking at the "Thermostat" lyrics today and I >noticed something I never caught onto: >"...is the thermostat engulfed in flames or is it just me?" >I always heard the line but I never got it. This is >obviously reference to the often spoken phrase: "Is it hot >in here or is it just me?" Did no one previously notice >this ... or is it just me? Speaking only for myself -- it's just you. I've loved Thermostat for that, and many other reasons... >commercial was. You remember it now, right? I imagine everyone noticed that. Maybe not, though... Mitcharf the Malevolent ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 13 Dec 97 14:01 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.en.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: aggression > And then again many people tend to LIKE those songs for >the same reason. Granted, a lot of them are the ones who'll >acidentally bash you in the head with there big stinkin' >combat boots during a "pass the dude" thing. (Kirsten raises her hand, eyes downcast) I have to admit, I participated in "pass the dude" during "Dig My Grave." Granted, it was just passing my little brother around... He also sat on Rockford's shoulders during "Particle Man," which caused Linnell to raise his eyebrows and grin. Nathan was thrilled. :) Kirsten -- "People who are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history." - former Vice President Dan Quayle ~ Kirsten Brodbeck ~ AKA Crow ~ kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ~ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:17:31 -0700 Subject: TMBG: re: aggression Message-ID: <19971213.131738.11486.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because >they are more aggressive. What's up with that? "Our lyrics are pretty complicated, but they're certainly not anthems for adolescence. That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." ---JOhN flansburgh i've always thought of those two songs as the only two songs of Theirs that even slightly resemble the "teenage angst / adolescence anthems" my $.03 take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:24:51 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG and SNL Message-ID: <19971214.013331.2870.5.groovyfrankenstein@juno.com> From: groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) I heard some people talking about TMBG on Conan, which got me thinking (dangerous thing...) Does anyone know if TMBG has ever been on SNL (um Saturday Night Live, but I'm sure everyone already knew this...right?) If not they should be, and if so they should be again! I don't know That's just what i think. People on this list tend to disagree with me. J H R O N A P P ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:17:19 -0500 Subject: TMBG: phish n stuff Message-ID: <19971214.013331.2870.4.groovyfrankenstein@juno.com> From: groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) I like Phish too. A lot of my friends say they suck cuz they're like a hippie band but some of those people like TMBG too. I HAD Junta. That cd's pretty cool. There are like a five or six (or three!) tracks thar are live. It's also a double-cd so it's ummm... longer...to say the least... Another band I like that nobody else seems to is Dave Matthews Band. But I bet no one else on this list does, right? This is probably gonna be like one of those old scenes... cool guy: hey I like Phish! anyone else? other cool guy (or girl): yeah, me too! Phish is great...blah blah blah me, really stupid guy: hey man I like Phish and Dave Matthews Band! Anyone else? everyone else: man they suck! so do you! But maybe you don't know what I'm saying... Anyway... I have like all their cds but Live At Red Rocks is really cool. They give a great live show (so I've heard.) It seems that all the bands I want to see I miss. Ok just an opinion or something.. J H R O N A P P ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:57:31 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712132257.RAA29902@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and SNL >Does anyone know if TMBG has ever been on SNL (um Saturday Night Live, >but I'm sure everyone already knew this...right?) Nope, they've never been the musical guest, nor the host, of SNL. Mitcharf ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 19:01:43 EST Subject: TMBLateNite (was: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) With all this talk of TMBG on Conan, I thought I'd l mention all of TMBG's appearances on the three big late nite shows (Leno, Letterman, and Conan) that I either have a copy of or have seen: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Appearance 1: Great version of "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (no interview, unless it was missing from the tape I saw) with the NBC orchestra. Appearance 2: "The Guitar" and "The Statue Got Me High" with a short interview in between where they talk about "passing the dude," "stump the band," and seeing Dean Martin at a burger place. It is quite funny because the John's sarcasm goes *right* over Leno's head. Letterman Appearance 1: "They'll Need a Crane" (no interview, as far as I know). Appearance 2: "Your Racist Friend" (no interview). Appearance 3: "I Palindrome I" (again, no interview, but Linnell looks *so* good, it almost makes up for it ). Wonder why Letterman never wanted to chat with the boys. Conan Appearance 1: "Why Does the Sun Shine," with the very amusing interview which someone already described. Conan is very hip to their humor and seems to honestly enjoy having them as guests. Appearance 2: "AKA Driver" (no interview) Appearance 3: "SEXXY" (as mentioned, no interview) And that's it, again, as far as I know. If anyone has any corrections or additions, please let me know! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 19:56:22 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: phish n DMB Message-ID: <19971213.195622.11862.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff B Parker) >Another band I like that nobody else seems to is Dave Matthews Band. >But I bet no one else on this list does, right? >J H R > O N A P > P Au contraire, mon ami... I think Dave Matthews is great! I have Under the Table and Dreaming and Crash and they're both really good. He's got a different voice that is cool and the music is just awesome... I listen to Crash Into Me and Satellite constantly... Anyway, just wanted to prove you wrong, HAHA!!! Jeffro "I'm the king of the castle, you're the dirty rascal" Parker ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 21:32:42 -0500 (EST) From: Nunez Subject: TMBG: lyrics Message-ID: Does anyone know the thermostat lyrics on the John Henry Album? If you do, please e-mail me at Mnunez@suffolk.lib.ny.us thanx Steve ------------------------------ From: Christi587 Message-ID: <2b115581.34935095@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:20:51 EST Subject: TMBG: achtung hutch Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) David Hutchinson! Front and center! Your mail address is bouncing as much as your checks, so I am posting this here. As you tried to alert me a while ago, your OMLT check bounced and you therefore owe me another $11.70 plus the $5 service fee for the bank. Sorry about this, but I do need the money. My dad was pretty p.o'd about the service charge, despite the fact that it is pretty small. So, if you can, send me the dough as soon as you can. I understand if you need some time. --Christy P.S. to the rest of you: before Bob can start printing your OMLTs, he needs the money (which he now has) and a color-separated design. That means one sheet for each color in the shirt-- blue, green, yellow, and black. Unfortunately, I can't find any software at school or on the net which will color-separate a jpeg for me, so do any of you know where I could find some? ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:45:34 CST Subject: TMBG: funny story Message-ID: <3B3BA7A53D3@athena.valpo.edu> ok, i played mr dj and santa's beard tonight and it really went well. however, on the last chorus of sb, when we were alternating 'thriiling (thrilling) christmas (christmas) trembling fear,' FIRE ALARM!! apparently some idiot engineer put the fire alarm right on top of the fireplace. we didn't have to evacuate, but we didn't get any applause. we took it as our cue to leave. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 00:06:37 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: What does a TMBG fan look like, try Glamour magazine.... Message-ID: Just in case anyone was wondering what some of the TMBG fans out there in America land look like, I am oddly enough featured in the January issue of Glamor magazine. It was a picture I was unaware had been taken at the Lillith Fair in Bonner Springs, KS. I'm featured on page 102 of the January issue with my girlfriend, we're the fourth picture across the bottom. What are the odds! First what are the odds that out of all the people at the concert we had our picture taken by a magazine photographer, then the odds that the picture of us would be chosen for the magazine, then the odds that we would see the picture (neither of us read Glamour, but my girlfriend's sister does). I tell you it's freaky. (at least I wasn't featured in the fashion don'ts like i would tend to believe i would be) I've been interested in TMBG for quite some time, and although originally attracted through my brother's copy of Flood I heard twice, I am proud to say that the first album I owned was the self-titled album. I've been to four shows in the Kansas City-Lawrence area, and am proud to say I was at the shows where they stopped playing NOKMP because of conga-line problems as well as the show where they re-started playing NOKMP because they missed the 'line'. I must say I did enjoy the electrified stick at the show they played this summer in Lawrence for 'Day on the Hill' as well as the puppet heads. what's the deal 'scott reed' with Mike Leffel Ain't got no pants? Cow don't care! Jesus died for my sins, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt. When life gives you poop, make poop juice. ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <9cc9bacf.349379ab@aol.com> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:16:08 EST Subject: Re: TMBLateNite (was: Re-TMBG:Conan O'Brian) Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-14 01:10:40 EST, Kaylum@aol.com writes: << Wonder why Letterman never wanted to chat with the boys. >> someone posted to the newsgroup awhile back that there was a skit where letterman threw an accordian off the roof and then linnell(?) threw a dummy that was supposed to be letterman off the roof..........i never saw it so i didnt know whether someone just thought this up or what...... amber ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 00:44:29 -0600 (CST) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: CD clubs, how to get the best deal Message-ID: I have noticed as well that BMG has a lot less of a selection than Columiba House/CDHQ. Hey that leads me to an interesting point, did anyone else know that THEY ARE THE SAME COMPANY! They use the same catalog, except Columbia House attempts to stick you with the "Buy-(10-11-12)-CDs-for-a-penny-but-buy-(4-5-6)-in-the-next-three-years" and CDHQ is the "Get-(10-11-12)-CDs-for-the-price-of-one-with-nothing-more-to-buy-ever" In case you don't believe me, read the information you get from CDHQ closely and it mentions in one place that it is a new division of ColHouse (at least it used to). if you're tired of CDHQ not having a number to call to cancel the selection of the month, use the number for columbia house (i don't know it right off hand) the only problem is you need the online code, which isn't printed on the CDHQ cards, but is on the ColHouse cards (so that is a sticking point unless you're enrolled in both). but anyway they both use the same catalog and the same catalog numbers so if you see it for CDHQ, you can order it using the same number from ColHouse and vice-versa If you really don't like having to send back the selection cards, just let a couple of them lapse, and let the selection of the month arrive, then when it does arrive, open it up and take off the "get-(1-2)-cds-free" card off of the invoice and tape the box back up and write "return to sender" on the box. Then fill out the free cd's card and mail it back in. VIOLA, more free CDs!! The record company doesn't really like having CDs returned but they really have three options for this situation: 1. they stop sending you the selection of the month automatically, which is what you wanted anyway 2. they continue sending you selections of the month automatically, in which case you get free CDs or CDs for $1.99 (sometimes this is all the better you get from ColHouse), or 3. they cancel your subscription which is ok because, if it's before you've bought all the cds you need to then you might not have to buy them, or if it's after you just re-up and get more on the intro deal again don't EVER sign up for the ColHouse deal of (10-11-12) for a panny, buy 5 more, because you're not getting a very good deal, but the (10-11-12) for the price of one with nothing more to buy is a great deal from CDHQ (also availible on some old ColHouse cards) and naurally the sweetest time to buy your one selection is when they're running a deal of buy one get (1-2-3) free. incidentally, it is impossible to get anything through the clubs from artists signed on VIRGIN (Smashing Pumpkins, Lenny Kravets, others) or GEFFEN (Hole, Nirvana, Beck, Crystal Method, weezer, that dog, others) because those companies no longer wish to have contracts with the mail-order companies (although they used to). another thing is that artists who expect to make a lot of sales on the release of their albums sometimes have a contract stipulation that their albums won't be released to the mail-order clubs until one year after they're released (like Pearl Jam, and others) as for the quality of BMG cds I'm up in the air. I have a CD changer that's fickle about what CDs it wants to play, at first I thought it was BMG cds, but then I found BMG cds it would play without trouble, and i've found some non-BMG purchased cds that it won't play (Tori Amos's Little Earthquakes on Atlantic and some others) granted it doesn't like about three dozed CDs out of 350, but i can't find a common bond between them. if anyone has any questions about the CD clubs and the best way to get a deal out of them e-mail me at: sar6396@ksu.edu sorry my message was so long, but I'm trying to get all of you the best deal, and hey ,if you've got a better way, mail me as well with the good news. p.s. a good place to look up the selection numbers for mail-order CDs is at www.cd-clubs.com scott 'Glamour Boy' Reed Ain't got no pants? Cow don't care! Jesus died for my sins and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt. When life gives you poop, make poop juice. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-347 ******************************