Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-348 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 348 Monday, 15 December 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Re: TMBG: acquired tastes TMBG: apollo 18 Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary TMBG: red rocks TMBG: letterman and the boys Re: TMBG: phish n stuff TMBG: Muppets Tonight! It finally happened (sort of)! TMBG: Hey Christy!!!....... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: ForScience Message-ID: <4a8b005d.34938871@aol.com> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 02:19:10 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-14 02:12:51 EST, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: << I can understand wanting someone to go to a TMBG concert, but if you have to drug them... well, let's just say that one should only go so far when trying to expose someone to the greatness of TMBG. >> i wasnt trying to expose her to anything....i had to drive awhile to see them and wanted to someone to go with me (although i would have gone by myself).......my point was she hated them with a passion but they were so good live she now likes a few of their songs........ :) amber ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 02:33:53 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712140733.CAA24567@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes ><< I can understand wanting someone to go to a TMBG concert, but if you have >to > drug them... well, let's just say that one should only go so far when trying > to expose someone to the greatness of TMBG. >> > >i wasnt trying to expose her to anything....i had to drive awhile to see them >and wanted to someone to go with me (although i would have gone by >myself).......my point was she hated them with a passion but they were so good >live she now likes a few of their songs........ :) Sure, sure, that's what they all say. I can see you before the judge now: "But your honor, I simply wanted someone to drive with, and she ended up liking the band -- it was a learning experience. I think the fact that she was drugged was completely irrelevant, and in any case, if you would just listen to ONE song by They Might Be Giants, you'd completely agree with me. You just have to see the light. Open your eyes. Br--" At this point you would be dragged off in a straightjacket. Mitch the Mercurial ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 03:18:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: acquired tastes Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-14 02:59:05 EST, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: << Sure, sure, that's what they all say. I can see you before the judge now: "But your honor, I simply wanted someone to drive with, and she ended up liking the band -- it was a learning experience. I think the fact that she was drugged was completely irrelevant, and in any case, if you would just listen to ONE song by They Might Be Giants, you'd completely agree with me. You just have to see the light. Open your eyes. Br--" At this point you would be dragged off in a straightjacket. >> LOL! Please respnd to this this another coversation with yourself!!!!! Um, actually she had heard more than one song to be sure, so that wasn't even a factor in anything.......So basically, I wouldn't be having that little chat with the Judge.... But really, Mitch the Mercurial -your doing good, your racking your brain and I think you can come up with something even better! Maybe even something that actually makes sense! Wow! Wouldn't THAT be something! :) amber ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 03:13:35 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: apollo 18 Message-ID: > People tend to dislike songs like "Dig My Grave" and "Stompbox" because > they are more aggressive. What's up with that? > i think one of the things that attracts many of TMBG's fans is the fact > that most of their songs *aren't* aggressive. in fact, perhaps that may > be a big reason why apollo 18 was not so well recieved as flood; i am > one of those TMBG fans that got hooked by flood and stuck around after > that. but when apollo 18 came out, i put in the tape and the first thing > i heard was the (relatively) agressive guitar, drums, and synth of 'dig > my grave', followed by the musically more flood-ish but lyrically not so > much 'i palindrome i', starting things off with 'someday mother will die > and i'll get the money'!? (admit it; you were thrown, too, your first > time!) i was beginning (lynch me not) to have my doubts. until i heard > the line 'she's stuck in my heart now, where my blood belongs.' the > apollo 18 era as a whole is probably my favorite TMBG stylistic period, > but it was not always thus. Personally, for me, Apollo 18 was probably the album that I instantly liked the most. Like many others, I became a tmbg fan during the Flood era (ah, the ninth grade!), but it took Apollo 18 to make me a fanatic. Maybe that's because it took those couple of crucial years between 1990 and 1992 for me to become a Truly Cool Person Capable of Appreciating the Musical Genius of They Might Be Giants. Or, maybe it's because of the album itself. Who knows. :) I personally (I'm using that word too much) like the so-called "aggressive" songs like Stompbox, etc. Maybe the reason I like tmbg is because my musical tastes tend to be pretty eclectic anyway, and tmbg is all about eclecticism. > My friend ordered the Live CD "Throwing Copper" and when she played it > it was Neal Diamond!!! It freaked us out... the case and booklet were > from the Live CD and the art on the CD itself said Live and was olive > green and everything like the REAL CD, but when you played it you got > Neal Diamond (not sure which album) Whoa, that's freaky! I was in the grocery store once and heard a Neil Diamond rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables. That was really scary. In my darkest hour, I'm talking like this, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes Message-ID: <3ec5b893.3491b3dc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:57:04 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: CDs ARE binary Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-12 10:53:09 EST, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: << > SO, to sum up: CDs are binary. Binary is a good way to write > music. That is all. oohhhhh-- a song with only two notes?? >> GASMASK!!!!!!!!!!! GASMASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Decapitated BEFORE entering the Krusty House of Knives, Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 08:28:32 -0700 Subject: TMBG: red rocks Message-ID: <19971214.083513.8910.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >Anyway... I have like all their cds but Live At Red Rocks is really cool. red rocks... ah, i pity all of you that can't ever go there... it is the most amazing place to have a concert... i only wish that They would play there sometime...=) hehee, i only wish THey would play somewhere in this state sometime... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***the purple crackberry, not the red one!!*** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 13:18:59 -0500 (EST) From: LN Subject: TMBG: letterman and the boys Message-ID: > Appearance 3: "I Palindrome I" (again, no interview, but Linnell looks *so* > good, it almost makes up for it ). Wonder why Letterman never > wantedto chat with the boys. Letterman (I used to be a rabid Letterman fan) NEVER talks to his musical guests, except for a possible, "hi, how are you" right before the credits roll... -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:27:49 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: phish n stuff Message-ID: <19971214.224543.4518.7.Mr.Train@juno.com> WHAT? Are you being sarcastic (hard to pick up by reading e-mail)??? DMB is one of the most popular bands around here! He did he New Year's show here for, like, 3 years in a row! But this year, everyone is bummed because he won't be here on Dec. 31... the band is touring in the Spring (they're haveing babies and getting married and stuff)... I saw the show last year ad it ROCKED! Ever since "What Would you say," they have been really popular... This seemed to piss off my sister and her college friends who liked them since Remember Two Things... She thinks people who like Dave just because of Under the Table... are comparable to the people who like TMBG just because of Flood (duck!!) (That was NOT NOT NOT a "Floodies are bad" remark!!)... I really like Dave and on an interesting note, Dave's girlfriend goes to a college close to my sis' (VA tech) and she (my sis) was there for one reason and she got to meet Dave Matthews! But, I digress Tim, he digresses! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update:On the Drag On Sun, 14 Dec 1997 01:17:19 -0500 groovyfrankenstein@juno.com (Johnathan M Rapp) writes: <> >Another band I like that nobody else seems to is Dave Matthews Band. >But I bet no one else on this list does, right? This is probably >gonna be like one of those old scenes... >cool guy: hey I like Phish! anyone else? >other cool guy (or girl): yeah, me too! Phish is great...blah blah >blah >me, really stupid guy: hey man I like Phish and Dave Matthews Band! >Anyone else? >everyone else: man they suck! so do you! >But maybe you don't know what I'm saying... > >Anyway... I have like all their cds but Live At Red Rocks is really >cool. They give a great live show (so I've heard.) It seems that all >the bands I want to see I miss. > > >Ok just an opinion or something.. > > >J H R > O N A P > P ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:44:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Muppets Tonight! It finally happened (sort of)! Message-ID: <19971214.224543.4518.11.Mr.Train@juno.com> I was watching Muppets Tonight on the Disney Channel and that Bob Marley muppet that hosts came out and said "Hey welcome to another great "Muppets Tonight"! The coolest show from Istanbul to Constantinople!" and then that rat came out and said " didn't you hear? Istanbul IS Constantinople!" and then four rats jumped up and started singing Istanbul (not Constantinople)!!! all through out the show people kept saying stuff about Istanbul and then the rats would jump up and start singing!!! it was great!!! I guess they got your letters after all! Anyone else remember the Muppets Tonight thread? BTW... it was hosted by Pierce Brosnan if anyone has an itchy VCR finger... Tim, he loves all the people, he loves to rock the house Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update:On The Drag ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: Hey Christy!!!....... Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:22:18 -0500 Message-Id: <04273140600777@dancingink.com> >Appearance 1: Great version of "Birdhouse in Your Soul" (no interview, unless >it was missing from the tape I saw) with the NBC orchestra. You must not have seen the whole thing, They also sang Istanbul *and* talked with Jay for a bit about the dial-a-song and their ages. >Unfortunately, I can't find any software at school or on the net which will >color-separate a jpeg for me, so do any of you know where I could find some? If you want to e-mail the jpeg to me I'll do it and send the seperate files back. No prob! :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-348 ******************************