Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-349 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 349 Tuesday, 16 December 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: letterman and the boys TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recently TMBG: A Post Script TMBG: Re:Acquired Tastes TMBG: Rice Krispies TMBG: If you asked for a Conan tape read this! Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen TMBG: important!!! TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? TMBG: * TMBG TMBG: clarification Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 14:30:21 +0000 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: letterman and the boys Message-id: <3.0.3.16.19971214143021.3b976e06@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> >> good, it almost makes up for it ). Wonder why Letterman never >> wantedto chat with the boys. > >Letterman (I used to be a rabid Letterman fan) NEVER talks to his musical >guests, except for a possible, "hi, how are you" right before the credits >roll... It's a rare occurrence, but Letterman does on occasion have proper chats with his musical guest. In my lifetime I recall George Clinton and Jackson Browne having interview segments, and Cher. More recently, when Harry Connick, Jr. was on, he was the first guest, and then the musical guest, and after his song Dave talked to him some more. That was cool. * ---------------------------------------------------------- Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://www.muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ * ---------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <4cceeed.3495831d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:20:35 EST Subject: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recently Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) ok, first of all, I love "Stompbox," it is actually one of my favorite songs of They (along with "Certain People I Could Name" and "Til My Head Falls Off"), & I don't see it as an angst-filled song, I see it as a light-heared song making fun of repressed angst-filled bands, kind of like Sponge's "Got To be a Bore." Also, I want this list to keep me informed of any TV appearances or radio visits THEY make. I always miss them by about an hour or so, which really pisses me off...but I doubt anyone would keep quiret if they knew about THEY's appearances, so I'm not too worried. Oh, and I noticed the Thermostat thing when I first got the album. I just wasn't on this list until about 2 or 3 years after that, so I chose to not mention it (figuring it would have probably been mentioned already). & I noticed the Dr. Worm thing too, but figured that one was obvious..... jason "didnt get to see tmbg in worcester because my parents are dumb" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <41162eee.349583b4@aol.com> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:23:30 EST Subject: TMBG: A Post Script Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) oh, and just as a post script (sorry I sent the other letter before thinking of this), I too have a band (actually 6 bands, but I'm focusing on 1 in particular) & next time I play live I'm going to do covers of Lie Still, Little Bottle & TIl My Head Falls Off along with my setlist....that accordian sample would really help a lot for this..... Jason "I post too much" Glastetter ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:34:16 EST Subject: TMBG: Re:Acquired Tastes Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) O.k., here's my "Acquired Tastes" story. Actually, it was more like "love at first listen". :) One morning I was working alone at my store and I took the liberty of tossing my taped copy of Disc 2: THEN into the tapeplayer. About the time "Shoehorn with Teeth" was about to play my first customer walked in, asked where the leashes were, and headed to the back of the store (where the tapeplayer happens to be) By the end of the song, this woman was laughing so hard, I had to see if she was o.k. me: May I ask what you find so amusing? customer: Who are these guys, they're GREAT! me: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS! customer: WOW! Are they a new band? me: Nope, they've been putting albums out since about 1986. This is from they're second album............ In short, I wrote down a list of all their albums for her. She came back later that day, with every album. Yes, she bought out the bin that day. That's all I have to offer. -Amy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971215162504.006b7eac@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:25:04 -0500 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: Rice Krispies Recall how the line in "Your Own Worst Enemy" ("precious and few are the moments that you and your own worst enemy share..") is taken from a song from the 70's with the words "precious and few are the moments we two can share." Well, I just saw a Rice Krispies commercial where those words were used (that is the somewhat weak connection between TMBG and Rice Krispies). One of the little guys (Snap? Crackle? Pop?) pours the milk into the cereal, and it makes noise (and in this case colorful fireworky things), then he grabs the other two and sings the song. Sara ><,'> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:03:46 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: TMBG: If you asked for a Conan tape read this! Message-Id: Someone using AOL sent me mail asking for a Conan tape but there was no return address for me to reply to. The mail was sent on Sunday. It did come from AOL remember, so if you're not using AOL it wasn't you.If you think that it was you write again with an email address or some other contact info. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:23:11 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-ID: <3DB5EB11257@athena.valpo.edu> in response to the 'aggressive' songs like stompbox, i think that people who view the songs as angry and angst-ridden are to some extent missing the boat as far as interpretation goes. i.e., you're missing out on their parodic value. i mean, are you really going to take the lyrics "every time you call my name/ i hear the angles say...dig my grave!!" forgive me if i didn't get the lyrics there exactly, but the point is made. it's supposed to be funny, because of its dementia. stompbox misinterps along the aggressive lines are even worse. obviously the specific type of stombox referred to in the song is a distortion pedal. anyway, if you're going to take stuff like dmg and stompbox literally and say they're aggressive, then what the butt do you make out of the line in 'twisting,' "everybody wants prosthetic forheads on their real heads."? anyway, i would complete this thought, but i have finals to study for and i think i've said enough anyway. not that i hold any hard feelings towards those people who dislike dmg. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:17:11 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu wrote: > anyway, if you're going to take stuff like dmg and stompbox literally > and say they're aggressive, then what the butt do you make out of the > line in 'twisting,' "everybody wants prosthetic forheads on their real > heads."? or that line in 'james k. polk,' "but don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound"? ;) i don't particularly remember anybody saying they *don't* like sb or dmg ('course, that could just be my own selective memory, but i don't feel like making a trip to the archives at the moment to verify...) but i don't think anybody would mistake the johns for aggressive, even on something like 'self called nowhere', which imho is the closest they come to actually being agressive, much more so than the other two... -jim kuemmerle, who feels much more like making a trip to bed, this time of the year... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ***Bhutan's "National Day" is December 17th!! Mark your calendars!!*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:41:28 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Dec-97 Re: TMBG: Related stuff to .. by J Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.ed > i don't particularly remember anybody saying they *don't* like sb or dmg > ('course, that could just be my own selective memory, but i don't feel I don't particularly care for Dig My Grave, and wish they'd stop playing it in concert, 'cause really all it does is encourage the moshers more to be violent and annoy the peaceful concertgoers. it's not a bad song, otherwise... ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 20:45 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen but i >don't think anybody would mistake the johns for aggressive, even on >something like 'self called nowhere', which imho is the closest they come >to actually being agressive, much more so than the other two... You truly find this song aggressive? How so? This is one of my favorite TMBG songs, I think largely because I've spent so much of my life waiting for one ride or another... Anyway, I find the tone to be much closer to confused, anxious melancholy. On the subject of agressive songs, I guess "I Should Be Allowed to Think" always comes to mind. The musical style isn't especially aggressive, but the words are much more straightforward than the normal TMBG song. "I am not allowed to ever come up with a single original thought..." Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971215204904.006a7ef4@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:49:04 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen I love the way they played Dig My Grave on 2/21 with the very slow intro... The worst part, IMO, when it's played live, Linnell's tinny keyboard really doesn't go well with it. I mean, you have Flansie's crunching electric guitar, horns (occassionally), and...well, the keyboard's just annoying. Just MHO... TTYL, -Adam At 08:41 PM 12/15/97 -0500, you wrote: >Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Dec-97 Re: TMBG: Related stuff to >.. by J Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.ed >> i don't particularly remember anybody saying they *don't* like sb or dmg >> ('course, that could just be my own selective memory, but i don't feel > >I don't particularly care for Dig My Grave, and wish they'd stop playing >it in concert, 'cause really all it does is encourage the moshers more >to be violent and annoy the peaceful concertgoers. > >it's not a bad song, otherwise... > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:05:28 -0500 (EST) From: The Living Behemoth Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-id: Wow. This agression thread has been one of the more successful ones. Personally I love Stompbox and Dig My Grave, all the energy in the them. DMG is the perfect beginning to Apollo 18, and a good lead in to IPI. Stompbox is just an awesome song. It tends to stick in my head;) -The Living Behemoth *************************************************************************** "There are three kinds of people in the world--those who can count and those who can't." "Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stranger." "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:42:11 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >but i don't think anybody would mistake the johns for aggressive, even > >on something like 'self called nowhere', which imho is the closest they > >come to actually being agressive, much more so than the other two... > > You truly find this song aggressive? How so? mm-hmm!! not i mean it as a *bad* thing, mind you... i like it very very much. it has various musically dark characteristics, (perhaps not so many as stompbox and dig my grave), but without the overtones of satire. the verses are, like you said -- indicative of confused, anxious melancholy -- particularly where the horns are concerned. but the music behind the chorus, with its spiralling shape of textures (you've got the horns doing one thing, the vocals doing another, the guitars and keyboards doing yet another, etc...) just building and building and building. throw in that swooshing sort of sound effect, whatever that is, and it adds up to being a pretty intense little number. also, the tone of the vocals is not nearly so light as most of the others -- just compare 'self called nowhere' with something like 'i should be allowed to think' -- the way they sing 'gluuuue my poster' is tonally much different from 'the vanishing dot on the map of the spot'. > This is one of my favorite TMBG songs, I think largely because I've > spent so much of my life waiting for one ride or another... Anyway, I > find the tone to be much closer to confused, anxious melancholy. > > On the subject of agressive songs, I guess "I Should Be Allowed to > Think" always comes to mind. The musical style isn't especially > aggressive, but the words are much more straightforward than the normal > TMBG song. "I am not allowed to ever come up with a single original > thought..." much like 'racist friend in that respect', methinks... -jim kuemmerle, who uses the word 'methinks' as often as he can get away with... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ *** Bhutan's "NATIONAL DAY" Is DECEMBER 17TH!!! *** *** Apply It By Magic Marker To Drywall!! *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 22:21 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen >but the music behind the >chorus, with its spiralling shape of textures (you've got the horns doing >one thing, the vocals doing another, the guitars and keyboards doing yet >another, etc...) just building and building and building. throw in that >swooshing sort of sound effect, whatever that is, and it adds up to being >a pretty intense little number. I guess I can see that - the song gives the feeling of being swept along, with little control over where you're going or why. It makes me think, for some reason, of someone standing at the top of a jangly spiral staircase that goes down into nothingness. A Spiralling Shape? Kirsten, disappointed that she didn't find a place to say "methinks." -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 22:32:02 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: important!!! I must know before Thursday whether the people at the Mercury Lounge were accurate when they told me that TMBG are usually done by 12/12:30... 'cause the last train from NYC to Washington is at 1:30.... and it would suck to be stuck in New York City with no place to stay. alternatively, if anyone going to the show wants to volunteer their floor....... :) (but I'd really rather get home by morning, because there's something going on Friday...) thanks. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3495FC78.2082@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:58:48 -0800 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Hey Listies, I'm back and ready for action. Sorry for the lurking... I've been busy... and my List account died... but I'm back again. BWAHAHAH! ANYWAY... I was reading my JH liner notes the other day to see who/what the drummer was... and I noticed this: They Might Be Giants are JOHN FLANSBURGH guitars, vocals & JOHN LINNELL keyboards, vocals, and (((**HORNS**))) Linnell does horns?! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:05:51 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > They Might Be Giants are > JOHN FLANSBURGH guitars, vocals & JOHN LINNELL keyboards, vocals, and > (((**HORNS**))) > > Linnell does horns?! ayep!! a la that *exquisite* bass clarinet in extra savior-faire, as well as significant baritone saxophoneage... -jim kuemmerle, who ranks that particular bass clarinet work up with that of eric dolphy, the all-time greatest... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34961405.2A17@rica.net> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 00:39:17 -0500 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: * TMBG I walked into the kitchen at work and my ears were met with what I thought was a really guitared up version of Don't Let's Start playing on the radio. It took a minute before I figured out it was Star 69 by R.E.M. Anybody familiar with this song off their Monster album? It has the same melody as DLS, and even a part of the song (my music terminology is limited, i.e. lyric and drum) were Michael Stipe sings a deputy dog dog a ding and so on kind of line. Coincidence? Hmmmmm... Joey, part of a special commando unit on the lam, accused of a crime they didn't commit. "I ain't gettin' on no airplane," is my oft repeated trademark catch phrase. Ha, I can even remember the words to the action figure jingle. Hahahaha... kill me. ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 00:50:03 CST Subject: TMBG: clarification Message-ID: <3E5CF123E25@athena.valpo.edu> isn't the line that refers to "tail that wags the hound" in 'don't let it start,' not 'james k polk'? i don't seem to recall that line in polk at all and i've performed it a couple of times, singing and playing guitar. i swear i'm right on this, but that doesn't amount to much. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-349 ******************************