Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-35 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 35 Wednesday, 5 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: They Got Lost on the way to a web page... TMBG: OMLT PRICES!!! Yay! Re: TMBG: OMLT PRICES!!! Yay! TMBG: acronyms TMBG: Irving Plaza, 2-21 TMBG: $$ Irving Plaza $$ Re: TMBG: acronyms Re: TMBG: various musicians TMBG: unregister-all TMBG: out of jail/birdhouse (none) Re: TMBG: various musicians Re: TMBG: Then and the Valentine's Day show! =) TMBG: Irving Plaza TMBG: Bass and Drums Re: TMBG: various musicians TMBG: Eric Schemerhorn. TMBG: you hate the ebonics thing... kiss off! We love TMBG TMBG: Re: No Subject TMBG: help! I need a ride. (none) TMBG: He-Man & TMBG TMBG: The OMLT Page... TMBG: Re: your mail Re: TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows TMBG: The Irving Plaza shows and the Alachua Music Fest! TMBG: Re: He-Man and TMBG TMBG: Upcoming singles? TMBG: Re: acronyms TMBG: Eric in the band TMBG: The Spawning Of The Cage & Aquarium Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms TMBG: The Ypsisomethingorother show TMBG: Re: Eric Schemerhorn. Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms TMBG: tom and ben or been-- paging, if you aren't either of them, please ignore. TMBG: Common likes? TMBG: dial/sound TMBG: Australian Tour dates TMBG: TEXAS Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms TMBG: re: Common likes? TMBG: That funny Flansburg TMBG: the OMLT goddess turns 16... be afraid Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 02:56:26 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: TMBG: They Got Lost on the way to a web page... Message-ID: On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Justin Higgins wrote: > Is there any webpage up with a recording of "They Got Lost"? People keep talking about it, but I haven't heard it at the concerts I've been to. I've been authorised to inform you that a live version of this song can be found, of course, at Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour. While you're there, check out the other sights and sounds, and prove the researchers wrong who say that no one wants to go to a web page to read. The next revolutionary idea could be hiding right behind your pleasant facade and your polite smile. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy ----------------------------- Poison, poison - tasty fish! ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 04:27:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970204011121_443734927@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT PRICES!!! Yay! Thought they'd never show up, didn't you? :) These are prices for an order of 100 shirts, which is slightly more than requested but worth ordering to get the bulk rate. Shirts are 50/50 blend because it's cheaper than 100% cotton and works just as well. One color- $6 ea. (not bloody likely we'll have a one-color design, though) 2 colors- $7.20 ea. (ditto) 3 colors- $8.40 ea. 4 colors- $9.60 ea. 5 colors- $10.80 ea. and so on. There is a 20 dollar setup fee for each color which I factored into the price. Sizes are the standard L or XL; those who want XXL shirts can order them for $1.25 extra. So anyway, the decision about designs is more than asthetic, as you can see. I stopped at 5 colors because I was sick of writing, but any number of colors is available for designs. These prices are also for front-and-back designs; one side only is slightly cheaper but I'm pretty sure we were going for double sided. Got input about any of this? Let me know: Christi587@aol.com --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:51:11 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT PRICES!!! Yay! Message-ID: Yay? Those prices sound a little high to me... (Just because I worked in the print shop at my school and shirts ran a bit cheaper) Something like $2.00 first color, .50 each additional color or some junk. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > Thought they'd never show up, didn't you? :) These are prices for an order of > 100 shirts, which is slightly more than requested but worth ordering to get > the bulk rate. Shirts are 50/50 blend because it's cheaper than 100% cotton > and works just as well. > > One color- $6 ea. (not bloody likely we'll have a one-color design, though) > 2 colors- $7.20 ea. (ditto) > 3 colors- $8.40 ea. > 4 colors- $9.60 ea. > 5 colors- $10.80 ea. > and so on. > > There is a 20 dollar setup fee for each color which I factored into the > price. Sizes are the standard L or XL; those who want XXL shirts can order > them for $1.25 extra. So anyway, the decision about designs is more than > asthetic, as you can see. I stopped at 5 colors because I was sick of > writing, but any number of colors is available for designs. These prices are > also for front-and-back designs; one side only is slightly cheaper but I'm > pretty sure we were going for double sided. Got input about any of this? Let > me know: Christi587@aol.com > > --Christy > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:03:27 -0500 From: Jon Vile <106563.656@compuserve.com> Subject: TMBG: acronyms Message-ID: <199702040803_MC2-10B2-6699@compuserve.com> >Okay- here's some acronyms for example: TMBG, KITH, BNL, and MST3K. >If you aren't into one of those, you should, because they're all part of our >little cult followings. :) Ok right, They Might Be Giants, Kids In The Hall, what?, what? Yeah we've also got Why Does The Sun Shine, How can I sing like a girl. Acronyms are fine but what the hell are you talking about. I have guessed BNL and MST3K are bands? Who are they? What are they? JOn ------------------------------ From: "Ham, Shane M." Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza, 2-21 Date: Tue, 04 Feb 97 08:17:00 PST Message-ID: <32F761F9@smtpgw.legislate.com> Hello, everyone-- I'm delurking to make a request. If you: 1. Are going to the show at Irving Plaza on the 21st; 2. Are from the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. area; 3. Are driving a car; 4. Have two extra seats in that car; 5. Would like a couple of people to help pay for gas, tolls, and parking Please e-mail me privately [smh@legislate.com] and we'll talk. Thanks, Shane P.S. I'm with those of you that think Eric is extraneous. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702041352.IAA01961@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 97 08:54:49 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: $$ Irving Plaza $$ You got taken, Cortney... Ticketmaster only charged me $18 total for the IP shows (each)... But then I guess I just shoulda gone to the IP box office. **Who wants to meet up & gather at the NYC shows? Let's do it, people... Gravy! Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: acronyms Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:00:57 -0600 Message-ID: <19970204140051975.AAA279@ppp179.baraboo.com> >>Okay- here's some acronyms for example: TMBG, KITH, BNL, and MST3K. >>If you aren't into one of those, you should, because they're all part of >our >>little cult followings. :) > >Ok right, They Might Be Giants, Kids In The Hall, what?, what? >Yeah we've also got Why Does The Sun Shine, How can I sing like a girl. >Acronyms are fine but what the hell are you talking about. I have guessed >BNL and MST3K are bands? Who are they? What are they? > >JOn > Ok, BNL is barenaked ladies, a band(never heard them). And MST3K is mystery science theatre 3,000 a tv show/ movie ( REALLY COOL!) -Wyatt, who realied the way he said really cool sounds REALLY STUPID! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F7520A.7F4@wwnet.com> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:13:14 -0500 From: dstange Subject: Re: TMBG: various musicians Evan Chakroff wrote: > I've only been a fan for about a year and a half now, can someone tell me > the story of their various bass players (Like why Brian plays on WDTSS? and > then only a few tracks on JH, and now he's full time) Brian plays *bass* on WTDSS? Is that true? I noticed on Back to Skull, Tony Maimone played bass on two songs and Graham Maby played on two. Graham rules. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: unregister-all Date: Tue, 4 Feb 97 16:53:11 -0000 From: Yvon serieyx Message-ID: <1357047500-23578867@ciecorp.fr> >-digest-request@tmbg.org unregister-all ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 12:32:32 -0500 (EST) From: Scott Rodas Subject: TMBG: out of jail/birdhouse Message-ID: Can anyone help? I'm looking for : a good quality audio cassette of TMBG doing "Birdhouse" on the Tonight Show- a good quality audio cassette of a show with a good version "Out of Jail"- (I'm talking soundboard quality). Also: non-TMBG related, but why didn't Chewbacca (or the 'droids for that matter) get a medal at the end of Star Wars? i can understand the 'droids (not being human and all) but for Christ sakes, Chebacca did just as much as anyone. Couldn't they morph a stupid medal on him. Jeez. Maybe they could have had Forrest Gump give it to him. That is all. (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970204180554.0069ec10@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:05:54 -0800 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >On a related note, today I went to TicketMaster, and the tickets that >cost only $15 dollars at the door cost $21 through TM!!!! Ah yes... TicketBastard. BA$$ isn't much better; I think I wound up shelling out $4 per ticket. *sigh* Wouldn't it be cool if they had a sort of concert subscription, where you could get tix for the next... oh, 4 or 5 concerts in your area? Welcome, new people! :) *nicole waves* >Sorry to return, but I this minute found a website that >spoke of a contest to design a shirt for the mailing >list, am I correct??? >Well, I'm a cartoonist and I would LOVE to >do something like this! Is the contest still >on?? Is this the mailing list of which it >spake?? HOO? Yes, I think so, yes, and huh? The TMBG OMLT (Official Mailing List T-shirt, or TMBG Omlette for short) is a project that's been in the works for some time now. I think it'll get somewhere this time. The idea is that not only will we get a kewl TMBG-related t-shirt, we'll have a way to recognize each other at concerts. Evan Chakroff (chakroff@ee.net, or visit his page at http://spot.home.ml.org) is running the design submissions, talk to him NOW, since I think the deadline for submissions is either approaching fast or has just passed. Thanks to whoever posted the X-files thingy. :) Mebbe I can use that to convert my X-Phillic but TMBG-hating sister... >>I guess great minds have the same interests? :> >Yes! :) Okay- here's some acronyms for example: TMBG, KITH, BNL, and MST3K. There was a thread... oh, about a year ago, I guess... that was about "interests that TMBG fans have in common." It was uncanny (for me, anyway). Included on the list were all of the ones you mentioned, plus: The Princess Bride Dave Barry Calvin & Hobbes Quantum Leap Red Dwarf Moxy Fruvous um... that's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else... --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Oh, we're a freak magnet." --John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants, about the band's fans. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu carlsonn@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org nnicole@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970204175833.0067dcdc@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:58:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: various musicians At 10:13 AM 2/4/97 -0500, you wrote: >Brian plays *bass* on WTDSS? Is that true? My copy of WDTSS? says he plays drums and glockenspiel... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970204175836.00676574@hubcap.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:58:36 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Then and the Valentine's Day show! =) At 09:21 PM 2/3/97 -0400, you wrote: >Anyway, the release date posted for Then (at a local music store) is >February 11th. However, I'm sure that this date is incorrect - *is* >there a definite release date yet? (sometime in March, I think?) The final date has been set for Mar. 25. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Organization: St. John's University Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 13:43:47 EST Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza Message-ID: <3C220EE71B3@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU> Anybody going to the Irving Plaza show on friday, feb 7th, e-mail me. we'll talk. Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F7904A.6164@trib.infi.net> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 14:38:50 -0500 From: "Most Likely, A Member of the Ondrey Clan" Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Bass and Drums Evan Chakroff Wrote: > I've only been a fan for about a year and a half now, can someone tell me > the story of their various bass players (Like why Brian plays on WDTSS? and > then only a few tracks on JH, and now he's full time) Tony Mamone (sp) was the first person to play bass with the band, after Apollo 18, he was full time with Jon Feinberg (drums), and then for the WDTSS?single, Brian Doherty and Grahm Maby were brought in for the first TMBG release featuring a full band, then Mamone (sp) and Doherty played on John Henry, and for that tour, now it is maby and Doherty onn FS and this current tour ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970204150022.006cff18@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 15:00:24 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: various musicians At 10:13 AM 2/4/97 -0500, you wrote: >Evan Chakroff wrote: >> I've only been a fan for about a year and a half now, can someone tell me >> the story of their various bass players (Like why Brian plays on WDTSS? and >> then only a few tracks on JH, and now he's full time) >Brian plays *bass* on WTDSS? Is that true? > >I noticed on Back to Skull, Tony Maimone played bass on two songs and >Graham Maby played on two. > >Graham rules. > > Doh! I meant Graham. Sorry! (That's what I get for trying to think) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F7A04C.A98@netheaven.com> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 15:47:08 -0500 From: Cyberguy Organization: Netheaven Subject: TMBG: Eric Schemerhorn. Actuallly, I think that Eric is a good addition to TMBG, when used when needed. He's not necessary for all TMBG songs, but I think it's okay to have a guitar riff here and their. Does anyone think that it bothers Flans because Eric plays the guitar riffs? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F7C9F5.134F@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 15:44:53 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: you hate the ebonics thing... kiss off! We love TMBG this is just my own personal way to tell the hoser who quit the list and the hosers who got their panties in a bunch over the ebonics translation ***KISS OFF*** (hehe an open invitation to flame me PRIVATELY!!!) we here on the list love tmbg and when you start saying that dreams about tmbg are MORE important than translations of lyrics you have crossed the line... one is no more relevant than the other. to jon vile... don't apologize... moon the creeps!!! if leo (the high priest of this land we call home) says "THOU SHALT NOT GIVE TRANSLATIONS" i'd say to stop immediately. if not... these people are just way too sensetive!! my $0.02... remember i welcome private flames if you can take the heat when i turn it back on you. -- Green Jello "There are those who know sorrow and those who must borrow and those whose lot in life sweet. Well I'm drunk on self-pity, scorned all that's been given me, I would drink from a bottle labeled sure defeat." -"Poughkeepsie" Over the Rhine http://w3.one.net/~jkl/ ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:46:40 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970204131737_848419912@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: No Subject On Feb. 4, Nicole inspired us with... << The TMBG OMLT (Official Mailing List T-shirt, or TMBG Omlette for short) is a project that's been in the works for some time now. I think it'll get somewhere this time. The idea is that not only will we get a kewl TMBG-related t-shirt, we'll have a way to recognize each other at concerts. Evan Chakroff (chakroff@ee.net, or visit his page at http://spot.home.ml.org) is running the design submissions, talk to him NOW, since I think the deadline for submissions is either approaching fast or has just passed. >> I have not been paying attention to the OMLT since its inception. However, I might be interested. When these shirts do debut, how much would they cost? Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 "Nobody Does it Like You"--Hoover Vaccums ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: help! I need a ride. Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 18:35:11 -0500 Message-Id: <19970203183513.0df63433.in@rayst10.rayst.udel.edu> Anyone going to the NYC concerts on the 14th and/or the 21st willing to give a fan or two a lift from the University of Delaware? I'd be more than willing to help with paying for gas, etc. -= Harlan Landes - spike@udel.edu =- -= http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ =- -================================- ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:45:14 +1000 Good morning all Perhaps it was all a ploy by Electra -'thou must have a boring guitar solo in every second song, as here decreed in the contract signed by your own blood, else a host of small furry (but vicious) beasts shall ascend from the depths of hell to devour you'. It took a number of messages on the post to even notice Eric's guitaring: before that I had succeeded in mentally blocking it out!! I don't think that Eric's work adds anything to FS - it may sound a bit more like the older albums, but take out his parts and you might find it a vast improvement!! Nothing personal against the guy, it's just that if I wanted guitar wank I'd listen to some crap heavy rock act (like Motley Spew). Cheers and Beers Nicka >---------- >From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu[SMTP:mjames@envy.loyola.edu] >Sent: Tuesday, 04 February, 1997 4:47 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: various musicians > >Hello, >Methinks that any artist TMBG brings into their fold is there because of >either a creative talent or because John & John saw a certain element >within this person initially that made them want this musician. Now, >this doesn't necessarily mean that they got *the* best musician for the >job for every spot (drummer, bass, guitar, horns, whatever) since some >musicians just aren't free to collaborate or they don't want to or >whatever. I'm certain that the Johns set out certain criteria, though, >in which they would pick up another musician. Now keep in mind that a >musician can change, or can be deceiving initially in appearance and not >play the way They initially thought. Eric has been playing with them >for a while, though, so I'd guess they're at least somewhat happy with >his guitarwork. But, as has been said before, his role in the group is >more part-time than full-time, as he does not play on all of the songs. >So I see Eric as a welcome addition to TMBG by TMBG or else they would >have never asked him to play initially and to continue to play (course >he has been in Hawaii aa while it seems! ;) >Also, with this, I feel that any musician they pick up will try and lend >any creative talent they can to the band. So Eric may have persuaded >them to put in these solos that he does, or TMBG may have had that in >mind even before they got Eric, or even before they even thought of >having eric fill this role. This is a question only the Johns can >answer. There is the theory that, maybe they would "try out" this style >and see if it fits in to the music and if people will like it. Granted >Eric has been with the band for a while, but it's hard to tell if they >know if it works, yet. We might see depending on the fate of Erc and >his guitar. >In any case, TMBG must have at least initially liked Eric's work as well >as the music he plays or else why the heck would they pay him all the >money he's making? (I'm sure he's making a pretty good amount, even >though I'm sure he makes no where near the amount John & John make) >Any thoughts? >Matt > >-- >Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) >------------------------------------------------------------------- >Matt James >polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu >Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America >"Cracking toast, Gromit!" >New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ From: "Jim Warner" Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:29:48 +0000 Subject: TMBG: He-Man & TMBG Message-ID: <1357042607-5919134@mssm.lcs.k12.me.us> Wow. I was reading Adam Tyner's post and was amzed to hear that he had written the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe homepage that I know and love. It is one of my bookmarks. What a small and wonderful TMBG world. Any discussion on Then? --Jim W ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970204175426.0069a41c@mail.ee.net> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:54:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: The OMLT Page... ... Is http://omlt.home.ml.org OR http://spot.home.ml.org/tmbg (They both point to the same spot) Also you may want to visit My Homepage! It's not quite as funny as www.CNET.com, and not as morbid/gruesome as www.microsoft.com, but definately woth a visit! (URL IN SIG) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:54:57 -0500 (EST) From: That rascal Eric Webber Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-ID: On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Maria, Nick wrote: > if I wanted guitar wank I'd listen to some crap heavy rock act (like > Motley Spew). Are you trying to tie this into the 'Lin should dump Flans thread?' Anyway, quit whining about it anyway. I whined when they got the full band and look what happened - They added another guy! Take it easy, Wubba P.S. It took me five minutes to delete the entire three-page message you quoted! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 18:41:20 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199702042341.SAA05121@omni2.voicenet.com> From: Jon Adler Subject: Re: TMBG: 2/13 Tower Show, Feb. Shows At 03:56 PM 2/3/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Just wanted to know if anyone was going or had heard about the Feb. 13th >show at Tower Records in Paramus, or if anyone could provide directions to >the 28th show at Irving Plaza in NYC. Thanks. > >Quux >------------------------------------------------------------ >|whee. |I've got something, To help you understand...|whee.| >------------------------------------------------------------ > > > There's a show in paramus NJ? Where, and at what time? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 18:58:33 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: The Irving Plaza shows and the Alachua Music Fest! Message-id: <01IF116CXS5SCCJ7S0@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! I am *anxiously* awaiting the arrival of the Irving Plaza shows, I will be there on the 14th and the 21st!!!!! However, I am sending out a plea of help! You see, my original plan was to take the bus into the city both times, but (given my very limited funds) I was wondering if there were any super-kind listies out there who might be passing somewhere near Scranton, Pennsylvania on their way to either of these shows. I will most gladly help with gas, tolls, etc. and hopefully lower both of our cost loads! If I have to, I will still take the bus into NY (TMBG or bust!), but my bank account and I would greatly appreciate any ride offers! =) Thanks bunches and bunches in advance, the people on this list are the greatest! =) Also, does anyone happen to remember the dates of either of these shows from last fall: TMBG Live at the Alachua Music Festival Gainesville, FL TMBG Live from the Milkbar Jacksonville, FL (the show was aborted when poor Mr. Linnell took ill) I have these two shows on tape, but I can't remember the dates for the life of me! Anyway, thanks again in advance, have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:46:01 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: He-Man and TMBG Message-Id: I was pretty surprised when I saw the subject line, I must admit... :> It's always great to see how much people I talk to on the Internet have in common. :> If anyone's interested, there's also a He-Man mailing list. E-mail heman-list-request@hypenet.com for more info. Thanks fot the kind comments, and TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 19:49:39 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Upcoming singles? Message-Id: Has there been any more talk of future singles from FS? I would've thought at least promo singles for NYC and TMHFO would've been out by now... Also, is Restless planning any singles to release with Then? IIRC, the Hey Mr. DJ single was released after They left... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 06:15:14 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F74472.55E7@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: acronyms Jon Vile wrote: > Acronyms are fine but what the hell are you talking about. I have guessed > BNL and MST3K are bands? Who are they? What are they? > I'm not sure what BNL means, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a show that only ppl lucky enough to have a decent cable provider in the area get to see. I saw one episode, and liked it. Oh, wait I think BNL is Bare Naked Ladies, a band that I haven't heard, but have heard about. Jeremy Mathews > JOn ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702050151.AA02864@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Eric in the band Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:51:41 -0500 (EST) I agree, Nick, that TMBG are way better off w/o Eric, or what I relaly mean to say is that I would enjoy TMBG even more if they did not have Eric, who knows ultimately if they'll be better off. I was just trying to take the point of view of TMBG and their decision to bring Eric on board. But his guitar playing is definitely not my style~ Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 02:23:06 UT From: "William Blacksher" Message-Id: Subject: TMBG: The Spawning Of The Cage & Aquarium Hello! I was listening to Cage & Aquarium or whatever it's called (I don't have the case close by), and my friend came over. When she heard the line that goes something like "It's the spawning of the cage and aquarium...." she just started to laugh. After she regained the ability to speak, she told me that she thought it said "It's the dawning of the age of Aquarius". I listened to it again and it did. Was this intentional? Also, I listened to the Nightgown of the Sullen Moon and tried to count it out in different times and it seems to work best in 9/8 because the rythms seem to fit. The notes seem to fit the beat. If you have a metronome, set it to 110 and see if it sounds right. I would if I had one, but it's on my birthday/ Christmas/ closest gift-giving holiday list. -Laura the Left-Handed "Let the will of the people be the supreme law" -Missouri's Stupid State Motto "Baby's digging in my pants!!!!" -Jim the boyfriend ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:37:41 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms Message-ID: > I'm not sure what BNL means, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a show > that only ppl lucky enough to have a decent cable provider in the area > get to see. I saw one episode, and liked it. Oh, wait I think BNL is > Bare Naked Ladies, a band that I haven't heard, but have heard about. > Barenaked Ladies is indeed what BNL stands for. They're a band from Canada, and they're actually huge in Canada from what I've heard. You can draw many parallels between BNL and TMBG...they both have quirky, amusing lyrics, they rely sometimes on strange instrumentation, and they both have rabid fans. Just remember that if you ever go to a BNL show, take a box of macaroni and cheese with you...you'll see what it's for. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I know you must have loved me sometime / But now I'm just a toy..." --BNL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:13:54 -0600 From: Kathleen Kyle Message-ID: <32F7FAF2.2BE0@midway.uchicago.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: The Ypsisomethingorother show Hi, y'all. Sorry to intrude and all, and also sorry because I'm not at all sure how effective this posting shindig is going to be since I am notoriously bad at succeeding at simple things like this. The point here is that I am driving to the Ypsilanti, MI concert on Feb 19th from Chicago, and if anyone in Chicago is thinking to themselves, "I really want to go to that show, but how to get there for the low, low cost of $20 round trip (to help with gas, and also since I'm renting the car and it's costing me more than I have) and be guaranteed a return by 7 the following morning (since I have to be at work by 8)?" Well, here is your answer. Email me at kpkyle@midway.uchicago.edu preferably sooner but later if you want, or call me at 773-684-3697, and I'll even let you pick the music as long as it's my tapes. You should know it's about a 5 hour drive. Both ways. But the way back will be in darkness so when I fall asleep and go careening off the road you probably won't notice. Kathleen ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:16:47 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F760EF.31DD@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Eric Schemerhorn. Cyberguy wrote: > > Actuallly, I think that Eric is a good addition to TMBG, when used when > needed. He's not necessary for all TMBG songs, but I think it's okay to > have a guitar riff here and their. Does anyone think that it bothers > Flans because Eric plays the guitar riffs? I don't think it bothers Flans, but it bothers me. I enjoy Flans' guitar more, even when more symplistic. I think Flans plays with anthusiasm and love while it seems more that Eric plays to show off. "He's the cool guy in the band"-- John Flansburgh. One thing I always liked about TMBG is that They didn't try to be cool, they were just themselves, which is much better. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:46:25 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms >draw many parallels between BNL and TMBG...they both have quirky, amusing Aaaargh! You used the Q word! :-@ >rabid fans. Just remember that if you ever go to a BNL show, take a box >of macaroni and cheese with you...you'll see what it's for. See ya. This is discouraged by the band as of late. In fact, most shows have security guards posted to keep that from getting into the venue. The band just doesn't like getting pelted by cardboard anymore. Of course, it seems likely that a few containers will make it into every show. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Anything that is weird in R2 is also weird in R." -- Professor Stensones "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970204212018#45@acme.computer-services.com From: "Microserf" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:15:24 -0600 With the mentioning of Canada, I could help but ask if there are any TMBG fans that like Rush also from Canada? They are different, yet similiar in having inner meanings and POWER in their songs. BNL is often mentioned in the Rush "The National Midnight Star" Mailing list (Sorry, it's digested only due to massive traffic) Well, sorry, I HAD to ask! Microserf Assistant System Administrator Acme Communications (http://www.acmeonline.net) (ftp://ftp.acmeonline.net) microserf@acmeonline.net "If the future's looking dark, We're the ones who have to shine If there's no one in control, We're the ones who draw the line Though we live in trying times, We're the ones who have to try Though we know that time has wings, we're the ones that have to fly..." -Neil Peart of Rush on "Everyday Glory" of Counterparts, 1993 ---------- > From: Bill Tatalovich > To: J Mathews > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms > Date: Tuesday, February 04, 1997 8:37 PM > > > > I'm not sure what BNL means, but Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a show > > that only ppl lucky enough to have a decent cable provider in the area > > get to see. I saw one episode, and liked it. Oh, wait I think BNL is > > Bare Naked Ladies, a band that I haven't heard, but have heard about. > > > Barenaked Ladies is indeed what BNL stands for. They're a band from > Canada, and they're actually huge in Canada from what I've heard. You can > draw many parallels between BNL and TMBG...they both have quirky, amusing > lyrics, they rely sometimes on strange instrumentation, and they both have > rabid fans. Just remember that if you ever go to a BNL show, take a box > of macaroni and cheese with you...you'll see what it's for. See ya. > > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu > > "I know you must have loved me sometime / But now I'm just a toy..." > --BNL ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:50:56 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F768F0.4D46@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: tom and ben or been-- paging, if you aren't either of them, please ignore. Sorry about posting this on the list, but my computer crashed and I lost info and email adresses. The tom I want is the "pooh head bucket?" that never puts his last name. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:19:36 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199702050419.WAA02496@atlantis.nconnect.net> From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter Kesting) Subject: TMBG: Common likes? >There was a thread... oh, about a year ago, I guess... that was about >"interests that TMBG fans have in common." It was uncanny (for me, anyway). >Included on the list were all of the ones you mentioned, plus: >The Princess Bride >Dave Barry >Calvin & Hobbes >Quantum Leap >Red Dwarf >Moxy Fruvous That sounds like a cool thread. Lets reopen it. I really can't speak for the group so if my sugestions are wrong then shoot me down: Star Wars Simpsons Seinfield Well that is what I think maybe TMBG fans are in. If you think I am wrong tell me and sugest what you think would be common likes. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% (__) (oo) \/-------\ || | \ ||----W| * Cow King Peter Kesting cowking@nconnect.net http://www.nconnect.net/~cowking/ "Our feet start running at a furious pace But we can't get away." -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 09:22:42 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F77062.601E@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: dial/sound Hi all, Is this file advertised anywhere on the front page/divisions? I didn't see it. Do you think it might be behind the record company's back? I can see why they might only want one song at once. Than again, maybe that's just where they store the uploaded files because They're going to have the song again. Well, Talk to you all later. bye, Jeremy Mathews PS sorry for all the post today ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:58:04 +1000 Message-ID: <0002BDF1.1646@dist.gov.au> From: bretth@dist.gov.au (Brett Harrison) Subject: TMBG: Australian Tour dates Hooray!!! Finally we have dates for Their Australian tour in March. (In case you missed the they are at http://www.tmbg.com/news/tour.html) I am disappointed that I will only get to one show (and that only just) as they are not going to Hobart as they promised they would on JJJ. But then it isn't surprising really...but I suppose I shouldn't be greedy :) Brett bretth@dist.gov.au ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970204231148.008016e0@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 23:11:48 -0600 From: "the day after tomorrow..." Subject: TMBG: TEXAS hmmmm.... has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of shows happening in texas for this tour so far? i keep thinking that eventually they'll announce the shows and that they'll happen soon, but it's been a long time now and we've still got nothing on the tour. odd that they usually play several shows here on every tour and now they've been touring for the new album for many months and they haven't come to texas and apparently have no plans to any time soon... if anyone knows, let us know... last time i saw Them i had to drive to new orleans, i'd like it a lot better if they'd come somewhere a bit closer eventually.... rabidchild (paul) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:14:23 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: acronyms Message-ID: > >rabid fans. Just remember that if you ever go to a BNL show, take a box > >of macaroni and cheese with you...you'll see what it's for. See ya. > > This is discouraged by the band as of late. In fact, most shows have > security guards posted to keep that from getting into the venue. The band > just doesn't like getting pelted by cardboard anymore. Of course, it seems > likely that a few containers will make it into every show. > Oh, I know that they discourage it. I just think it's because some dips***s feel the need to pelt the band during EVERY song, instead of just "If I Had $1000000". As they put it at the last show, it's like pulling the newspaper over your head for the entire movie at the Rocky Horror Picture Show. And yes...some creatively-placed containers can make it into the shows...I should know. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: MIKE Message-Id: <199702050527.AAA176767@garnet1.acns.fsu.edu> Subject: TMBG: re: Common likes? Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 00:27:25 -0500 (EST) Common likes? Well, I've found that many they might be giants fans are also fans of King Missile Which brings me to my next point and Shamless (but tmbg related) advertisment for my king missile page. I've begun a section on the similarities between they might be giants and king missile...if you have something to contribute, it will be greatly appreciated (and you'll get credit too)! http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2441/ oh, and sorry if this is repeated--my emails acting funny and im not so sure the email demons didnt get to the first message before you did. shoehorn with teeth aka farm boy It's never okay to abuse your goat, unless its in the name of a saint. ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 01:31:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970204201305_2025784825@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: That funny Flansburg My friend at school just got a tape of TMBG performing at a record store in Michigan. Its very funny, in one part of the show Flans starts singing NYC and he loses his place with the lyrics and goes "Oops! Thats the 3rd verse." When he's introducing the rest of the band he mentions to the crowd "As you will notice we look much younger and thinner in the posters that are behind us." "I'm tired of all the sex on the telivison. I mean, I keep falling off!"-The Late Grapham Chapman of Monty Python ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 01:38:08 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205005708_473562698@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: the OMLT goddess turns 16... be afraid Someone at some time in the past mentioned something about requesting that TMBG sing Happy Birthday for them at the Irving Plaza show on the 7th. Since I am pitifully low on details here, I'm making a general plea to anyone who wants to help. My birthday is the 6th (that's Thursday... I'm turning 16, but in chronology only... I will not be 16 in spirit until I get that driver's license!) I humbly request that someone try as hard as they can to include me in the honor if this actually happens. That would be a far better present than the socks my mother has for me. By the way... does anything become illegal once you turn 16? If so, I'd like to know, because I only have one more day to get away with it! :) Also BTW, Feb 6 is also the birthday of Ronald Reagan. Feel my pain. --Christy ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-35 *****************************