Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-350 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 350 Wednesday, 17 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Eric Dolphy?!? Re: TMBG: Eric Dolphy?!? TMBG: Help with 12/18 ML Show TMBG: JohnL guest appearance Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Re: TMBG: clarification TMBG: Leashes and Why Letterman Won't Talk to Musical Guests Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? TMBG: horns etc Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Fw: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? TMBG: Four Lads on CD Universe Re: TMBG: horns etc Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Re: TMBG: I'm Horny TMBG: They Might Be Giants Is Better Than Homogenized Milk On A Hot Christmas Morning Re: TMBG: * TMBG Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: clarification TMBG: subscription to: they might be giants Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199712160815.DAA11644@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:28:54 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric Dolphy?!? Message-ID: > ayep!! a la that *exquisite* bass clarinet in extra savior-faire, as well > as significant baritone saxophoneage... > > -jim kuemmerle, who ranks that particular bass clarinet work up with that > of eric dolphy, the all-time greatest... Oh, come now, Jim. While I agree that Linney's tone on the bari sax and the bass clarinet is very good, it's far from Eric Dolphy. What...next you'll tell me that Linney is a better bari sax player than Gerry Mulligan, or a better accordian player than Wayne Toups, or a better keyboard player than Ben Folds (sorry, had to make a reference that I knew everyone would realize). I know, I know...the statement was probably hyperbolic, but still...better than Eric Dolphy? Come on...keep it at least somewhat realistic. BTW...Dolphy may have been great on a bass clarinet, but he absolutely kicked ass on sax. MHO. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:09:22 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric Dolphy?!? Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > Oh, come now, Jim. While I agree that Linney's tone on the bari sax and > the bass clarinet is very good, it's far from Eric Dolphy. What...next > you'll tell me that Linney is a better bari sax player than Gerry > Mulligan, or a better accordian player than Wayne Toups, or a better > keyboard player than Ben Folds (sorry, had to make a reference that I knew > everyone would realize). I know, I know...the statement was probably > hyperbolic, but still...better than Eric Dolphy? Come on...keep it at > least somewhat realistic. oh, i've no illusions about linnell vs. dolphy -- linnell's good, but still... what i meant was more along the lines of "this is the most effective use of the bass clarinet i've heard this side of eric dolphy". if you're gonna put a bass clarinet into a song, it had better sound good, and not be a gimmick. 'cabbagetown', 'extra savoir-faire'; those sound much less gimmicky to me than anything i've heard bernie maupin play on, for example. that's all i meant. :) plus, you've gotta admit -- the tone he gets on that thing is really strong, even if the technical proficiency and such aren't there... > BTW...Dolphy may have been great on a bass clarinet, but he absolutely > kicked ass on sax. MHO. and flute. can't forget flute. :) MHO goes the other direction, bcl, fl, as; but it's all so incredible, it's mostly a matter of personal taste. my personal favorite is a live recording of him taking the bass clarinet solo on 'naima' while touring with coltrane... followed closely by his solo bass clarinet version of 'god bless the child' on 'eric dolphy in europe'... --jim kuemmerle, who'd probably end up making it sound like a gimmick. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <8525656F.004B443C.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:42:59 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Help with 12/18 ML Show Can anyone on this list, who will be purchasing tickets for the for Thursday's 12/18 Merc show, possibly purchase an extra one. I will reimburse you the cost of the ticket and pay for your ticket as well (for your trouble). I have had a lot of trouble getting into the city to purchase tickets before the day of the show (it is a LONG sad story) :) Please Email me as soon as possible if you can help out. We can work out the details at that time as well. TIA. Erik ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Message-Id: <199712161442.JAA27875@wordstock.com> Subject: TMBG: JohnL guest appearance Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:42:40 -0500 (EST) Organization: WordStock, Inc. Hey, Johns Fans! I just picked up the new CD by Life in a Blender, "Two Legs Bad", and was suprised to see John Linnell listed as playing accordion on the song "Grand Union". I picked up the album because I used to perform in a comedy group with the lead singer when I was in high school. I knew that the Johns knew this friend of mine, but hadn't seen them on one of his albums before. Someday I'll have to write about the time I met the Johns and found out that they knew a couple of my high school friends, I guess ;-) Anyway ... I got the CD from CDNOW, but you can also write to the label, Fang Records, at: P.O. Box 652, New York, NY, 10009. Tell 'em Fred sent you! - Fred. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9712161519.AA10791@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:19:49 -0500 (EST) > On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > > > They Might Be Giants are > > JOHN FLANSBURGH guitars, vocals & JOHN LINNELL keyboards, vocals, and > > (((**HORNS**))) > > > > Linnell does horns?! > > ayep!! a la that *exquisite* bass clarinet in extra savior-faire, as well > as significant baritone saxophoneage... > > -jim kuemmerle, who ranks that particular bass clarinet work up with that > of eric dolphy, the all-time greatest... Since when is a clarinet or saxophone a horn??? They are wood winds. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971216083334.006a29b0@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:33:34 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: clarification Jeremy asked: >isn't the line that refers to "tail that wags the hound" in 'don't >let it start,' not 'james k polk'? >i swear i'm right on this, but that doesn't amount >to much. Yes, you're right. Pretty much every lyric in James K. Polk is a historical reference, so "tail that wags the hound" wouldn't even really fit in the song :-) On the subject of aggressive songs, I've always thought of JH as perhaps their darkest album. There are more sad/mad songs on that album than the rest of their repertoire, it seems. Why Must I Be Sad? comes to mind as a kind of frustration song. I Am Not Allowed To Think's singer sounds very disgruntled. Snail Shell is sarcastic (I used to think it was literal, but the more I listened to it the more sarcastic it got). A Self Called Nowhere gives one that lonely feeling. And, of course, The End Of The Tour just isn't happy at all. I remember what I thought right after I heard the album for the first time: Man, Linnell sounds a lot more angrier than usual! --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971216163635.8871.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: Leashes and Why Letterman Won't Talk to Musical Guests Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 11:36:34 EST We chased Amy and when we caught her, she said: >One morning I was working alone at my store and I took the liberty of >tossing my taped copy of Disc 2: THEN into the tapeplayer. About >the time "Shoehorn with Teeth" was about to play my first customer >walked in, asked where the leashes were, and headed to the back >of the store... This is a PET store you work at, right? Seriously, ya did a good job Amy! It is every TMBG fan's duty to play Them at every available opportunity ESPECIALLY for total strangers. It's hard to tell where you can make converts! ... and someone was observing that Letterman doesn't talk to musical guests. That's probably because his staff holds pre-interview meetings with Dave's guests to pick up good topics of conversation (vacations, new babies, new movie, plans to expose themselves...) which tells him where to steer the interview. Those meetings aren't held with the musical guests, so Dave doesn't have 'em over to the chair as a rule. That's my guess, and I stand by it. ******************** "Gentle" Ben - anyone else think that Tom Waits is the bomb? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:43:50 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd0a4a$2bc17bc0$5f47af80@rayst71-95.rayst.udel.edu> >Since when is a clarinet or saxophone a horn??? >They are wood winds. in the Biz, your instrument is either your horn or your axe (or both), no matter what you play. Careful with that axe, Eugene... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 12:58:36 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Message-id: <3496C14C.5CF43EBF@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Harlan Landes wrote: > > >Since when is a clarinet or saxophone a horn??? > >They are wood winds. > > in the Biz, your instrument is either your horn or your axe (or both), no > matter what you play. An axe to me has always been a guitar (either a guitar or bass). Dunno. But a horn is something you pick up and use your mouth to play. Either a horn or a wind... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:17:09 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Message-Id: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Harlan Landes wrote: > >Since when is a clarinet or saxophone a horn??? > >They are wood winds. > > > in the Biz, your instrument is either your horn or your axe (or both), no > matter what you play. > First of all, I play drums and have never called my drums my 'axe' or my 'horn'. I also play bass and have never called my bass my 'axe' or my 'horn'. I also have never heard anyone I know who plays sax or clarinet call their instrument a 'horn'. I'm not saying no one does. I just saying that it's not something that everyone says. As far as the term 'axe' goes, I think I've heard that used a lot more by people who don't play guitar than by those who do play. Maybe I haven't been in 'The Biz' long enough. I've been playing music for 12 years and in bands for 8 years or so. I really don't know why I'm replying to this anyway, I don't think 'horn' is really used to classify wind instruments. I always thought it was 'brass' or 'wood wind'. I'm not sure what free reed instruments (like harmonica, or accordian) classify as, but I'm fairly certain they're considered wind instruments too. What this boils down to is that most of the time when someone says 'horn' people assume 'brass' not 'wood wind' Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: horns etc Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:37:59 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd0a51$bc1eb640$5f47af80@rayst71-95.rayst.udel.edu> Well foist of all, I certainly didn't want to insult anyone or claim I've been in "the Biz" longer than anyone or anything like that with my last message. And yeah, I've never heard of drums referred to as an axe or horn.... but... when not dealiing in technical terms, horn sections commonly include more than just brass instruments. "horn" sections in a band are generally two or more wind instruments... sax, trumpet, clarinet, trombone, what have you. I've heard people refer to any instrument (well, not drums) as their "axe." I've heard people refer to their electric basses, guitars, clarinets, trumpets, marimba, et. al. as their axe as well as their horn. ** maybe it's just where i'm from (east coast USA). ** if we were dealing in technical terms, a horn section would be the "horn section" of an orchestra, usually four of what people like to call "French" horns. If we boil it down, it depends on with whom we're talking before we can guess what other people will assume what we mean... if I'm talking to a conductor of an orchestra in a professional setting, I'd say horn only when I mean "French" horn... etc. [-] Harlan Landes -- hlandes@iname.com [-] "What do you need to know? I weep. I suffer. Farewell." [-] -- Musicologist Joseph Machlis on translating opera [-] from languages he doesn't know. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:35:39 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > but i > >don't think anybody would mistake the johns for aggressive, even on > >something like 'self called nowhere', which imho is the closest they come > >to actually being agressive, much more so than the other two... > > You truly find this song aggressive? How so? This is one of my > favorite TMBG songs, I think largely because I've spent so much of my life > waiting for one ride or another... Anyway, I find the tone to be much > closer to confused, anxious melancholy. > > On the subject of agressive songs, I guess "I Should Be Allowed to > Think" always comes to mind. The musical style isn't especially > aggressive, but the words are much more straightforward than the normal > TMBG song. "I am not allowed to ever come up with a single original > thought..." > > Kirsten I don't think the words are actually straightforward. That's a cheap interpretation, and makes Linnell, frankly, look like a bad lyricist (if he actually meant "I should be allowed to share my feelings" literally, I'd lose respect for him...). The narrator of the song is being blunt, yes... but we're supposed to laugh at the narrator. He's an idiot. He keeps whining about his repressed freedom of speech, but he hasn't got a damn thing to say. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: <27dc242f.3496e0e8@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 15:13:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) ok its like this i play brass and brass is considered a horn while woodwinds are considered by the name of the instrument The Ben ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 15:38:02 -0500 Message-Id: <20360931200214@dancingink.com> Um, my car has a horn......... and my old bike from when I was a kid had a horn with the little black bulbby thingy that you could squeeze....and.........HEY! My computer has a "horn" noise in it........and............ * ------------------------------------------------------ Augie"I like horns"Wan augiewan@dancingink.com TMBG Fanclub Member #2061 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971216211645.21754.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:16:45 EST The Augie of Wan said: >Um, my car has a horn......... and my old bike from when I was a kid >had a horn with the little black bulbby thingy that you could >squeeze....and.........HEY! My computer has a "horn" noise in Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Message-Id: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Gentle Ben wrote: > My Nissan's horn sounds slightly sharp to my ears... > > ...But you REALLY shouldn't say that your automobile has a "horn". It > is called a "pedestrian-warning-device-and-traffic-frustration-vent-er" > in the industry, and the placing of a "horn" symbol on millions of > steering wheels across the country is misleading AND most likely causes > thousands of deaths annually. > I'm bummed man, my car has a little 'wood wind' symbol on the steering wheel. I think it's an inferior model. (no, I'm not saying wood winds are inferior, thank you) -Wubba --- Eric Webber 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:42:11 -0500 Message-Id: <21401420300251@dancingink.com> > My Nissan's horn sounds slightly sharp to my ears... Crappy little cars aren't they? Their "horns" sound like the Road Runner. > ...But you REALLY shouldn't say that your automobile has a "horn". It > is called a "pedestrian-warning-device-and-traffic-frustration-vent-er" > in the industry, and the placing of a "horn" symbol on millions of > steering wheels across the country is misleading AND most likely causes > thousands of deaths annually. Yes, you may be correct, but MOST people call them HORNS so I used the term "horn", I was speaking in general terms. Like how everyone calls their car, their "wheels" > "Gentle" Ben - sharpening his crayons right now! Ya know, I never really liked crayons. I could never finish a drawing without having to sharpen and re-sharpen them. Bah! Augie"I'm still not too fond of crayons"Wan augiewan@dancingink.com TMBG Fanclub Member #2061 AugieWan is listening to his co-worker hum StarWars muzak and pop popcorn in his brand new Air Popper.....this boy is wierd...he acts like he's never seen popcorn popping before. Help me! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971216215014.28042.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:50:13 EST The Augie of Wan said about MY car: >Crappy little cars aren't they? Their "horns" sound like the Road >Runner. Oh yeah? I'll bet your car is from ACME, huh? MEE MEEP! >Yes, you may be correct, but MOST people call them HORNS so I >used the term "horn", I was speaking in general terms. Like how >everyone calls their car, their "wheels" Oh, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!!!! >AugieWan is listening to his co-worker hum StarWars muzak and pop >popcorn in his brand new Air Popper.....this boy is wierd...he acts like >he's never seen popcorn popping before. Help me! Wotta geek! Tell him to get a life! ******************** "Gentle" Ben - TMBG content -> but what about FLOOD? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971216215920.22749.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:59:20 EST Once upon a time, Eric said: >I'm bummed man, my car has a little 'wood wind' symbol on the >steering wheel. I think it's an inferior model. "I really believe my car is damaged! An old man was crossing the street, I press on the center of my steering wheel and it sounded like a piccolo! Like that's frightening! He's thinking "Oh, no! The First Chair is coming! I better jump back on the sidewalk!" What is Hyundai thinking?" ******************** "Gentle" Ben - why wasn't TMBG on the Diana Tribute Album? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:09:36 -0500 Message-Id: <22074070300272@dancingink.com> > Oh yeah? I'll bet your car is from ACME, huh? > MEE MEEP! uh............SO! > Oh, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!!!! You farted!!??? Oh that's gross! > Wotta geek! Tell him to get a life! He just keeps popping more! He's not even eating it! Get me Outta Heah! > "Gentle" Ben - TMBG content -> but what about FLOOD? In your words.. "Oh, DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!!!!!" Flood was terrible! Every song on it stunk to high heaven! DOWN WITH THE FLOODIES!!!!!! Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill Kill !!!!! Augie"I've had too much coffee"Wan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971216222612.0067b6fc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:26:12 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? On a book I read on how to play the Harmonica, they said you call any instrument (A specific one not type, You know YOUR horn, not any Horn) you've been around with, you call your AXE. LDB At 12:58 PM 12/16/97 -0500, Chad Maloney wrote: >Harlan Landes wrote: >> >> >Since when is a clarinet or saxophone a horn??? >> >They are wood winds. >> >> in the Biz, your instrument is either your horn or your axe (or both), no >> matter what you play. > >An axe to me has always been a guitar (either a guitar or bass). >Dunno. But a horn is something you pick up and use your mouth to >play. Either a horn or a wind... > >-- >-====================================================================- > Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... >-====================================================================- > Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see > Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous >-====================================================================- > > > LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Four Lads on CD Universe Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 16 Dec 1997 17:39:13 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, Stuck for a holiday gift? Try : http://205.217.221.14/programs/cdubin.exe/similar/EAN=FOUR+LADS/cart=9710/ It's only US$10.95 plus shipping, etc. Check out Track#10 - it's the Four Lads original "Istanbul (not Constantinople)" on Real Audio. Love, Rob Plass * ------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: <6dd67196.349708d5@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:44:43 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: horns etc Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-16 17:19:35 EST, hlandes@iname.com writes: << And yeah, I've never heard of drums referred to as an axe or horn.... but... >> drums are generally refered to as a set as i remember or skins. The Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712162343.RAA14551@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell+Horns=?? Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:26:06 -0600 > On a book I read on how to play the Harmonica, they said you call any > instrument (A specific one not type, You know YOUR horn, not any Horn) > you've been around with, you call your AXE. > It's a sure bet that Lizzie Borden murdered her folks with a Lobster Harmonica then. Mike "Excuse me miss, but can I show you my AXE?!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712162343.RAA14548@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm Horny Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:23:42 -0600 > "Gentle" Ben - why wasn't TMBG on the Diana Tribute Album? Dignity? Mike "Whereas I'd sell my soul and the souls of millions for something shiny" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712162349.RAA14722@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants Is Better Than Homogenized Milk On A Hot Christmas Morning Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 17:32:40 -0600 (Suddenly, as Mike was listening to his radio, humming a sweet tune of world domination and public nudity...yes, the Full Adolf....his eyes widen in utter fear and trepidation as one more thing he holds dear becomes perverted in a non-humourous way) (sound of leaking blood in the cerebral cortex) PLEASE DEAR GOD TELL ME THIS IS NOT HANSON SINGING "OH NIGHT DIVINE"!!!!!! ***PLEASE!!!***** NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Mike "I don't care if their show will be a mix of MONKEES and Brotherly Love... THEY'RE EVIL!!" Leffel ---formerly a writer for Perfect Strangers, and a stunt double for Mickey Rooney..... ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <8e5a7d13.34974238@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:08:37 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: * TMBG Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-16 01:11:56 EST, jgroah@rica.net writes: << Don't Let's Start playing on the radio. It took a minute before I figured out it was Star 69 by R.E.M. Anybody familiar with this song off their Monster album? It has the same melody as DLS, and even a part of the song (my music terminology is limited, i.e. lyric and drum) were Michael Stipe sings a deputy dog dog a ding and so on kind of line. Coincidence? Hmmmmm... >> The chord structure is definately similar, but the lyrics are no where the same. Michael Stipe's lyrics tend to be more.... poetic? than They's. The Part that sounds like the "deputy ding dong etc.etc." section is something like "3 people have my number why I don't know" (or something, I'll have to check the CD), and it just sounds muddled because they loop the same thing like a half a second later, so it's like 3 people have my number... 3 people have my number... All at once, though. ; ) -Casey, who's current favourite TMBG song is "Certain People I Could Name" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Dec 97 23:23 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen > I don't think the words are actually straightforward. That's a >cheap interpretation, and makes Linnell, frankly, look like a bad lyricist >(if he actually meant "I should be allowed to share my feelings" >literally, I'd lose respect for him...). The narrator of the song is being >blunt, yes... but we're supposed to laugh at the narrator. He's an >idiot. He keeps whining about his repressed freedom of speech, but he >hasn't got a damn thing to say. (Kirsten blinks and thinks about it) I can see that, I suppose, but I'm not so sure.. In other songs where Linnell is being sarcastic/ironic, like "Snail Shell," there's a clue that it shouldn't be taken at face value. But "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is just such a straighforward song (sorry to keep using that, but it's the only word I can think of at the time) that I can't seem to get the sense of irony from it that you have. Maybe it's because I've taken it at face value for so long. Granted, I never said it was a song that was one of my favorites - I find it rather repetative and sort of boring to listen to, but that's just my personal opinion. I can't help but think of all the people that wanted to see "New York City" as being ironic, but were disappointed when it was discovered that everyone seemed quite sincere about it... (yes, I know it was a cover) Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 22:26:21 -0700 (MST) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: clarification Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, J Chen wrote: > And, of course, The End Of The Tour just isn't happy at all. i beg to differ. http://www.tmbg.org/songs/interp/TheEndoftheTour.html --jim kuemmerle, who loves how everbody has a different perspective on these songs... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: nweissma@ic.sunysb.edu Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:52:56 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: subscription to: they might be giants Message-ID: ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-350 ******************************