Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-351 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 351 Thursday, 18 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: horns, winds...ah, whatever. TMBG: The End Of The Tour (was re: clarification) TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-350 -Reply TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-350 -Reply Re: TMBG: * TMBG Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen TMBG: isbatt Re: TMBG: isbatt Re: TMBG: isbatt Re: TMBG: isbatt TMBG: RE: isbatt TMBG: Do you find Them intriguing? TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. TMBG: Sessions At West 54th Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. TMBG: please help Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 02:04:55 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: horns, winds...ah, whatever. Message-ID: > I've been playing music for 12 years and in bands for 8 years or so. > I really don't know why I'm replying to this anyway, I don't think > 'horn' is really used to classify wind instruments. I always thought it > was 'brass' or 'wood wind'. I'm not sure what free reed instruments > (like harmonica, or accordian) classify as, but I'm fairly certain > they're considered wind instruments too. What this boils down to is that > most of the time when someone says 'horn' people assume 'brass' not > 'wood wind' Hmmmm. Now, I have absolutely no experience with "the Biz", but I can say that at least in the world of collegiate marching bands (so utterly relevant, I know :) , "horn" is sometimes used as a catch-all term for everybody who isn't in the drumline or twirling a flag. (Usage: say it's 50 below and your instrument emits a rather unsavory note: "What the hell WAS that??? For the love of God, go get your horn fixed!") Strangely enough, "winds" is often also used as a catch-all word for everybody in the band who plays some kind of instrument that requires wind to play it... of course, all of this does not eliminate any of the antagonism felt between the actual horns and the actual winds. :) former disgruntled marching band member, --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971217075257.0069fedc@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 07:52:57 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: The End Of The Tour (was re: clarification) jim kuemmerle wrote: >>On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, J Chen wrote: >> >> And, of course, The End Of The Tour just isn't happy at all. > >i beg to differ. > >http://www.tmbg.org/songs/interp/TheEndoftheTour.html (Read Jim's interp, TEOTT as a love song, with instrumental arrangements as motifs.) Actually, I can see the optimism (hope?) in the song as the song approaches the end, so it's not an unhappy song. Sorry, "isn't happy at all" is just a phrase I use to mean sad, unfortunate, or tragic (and I may be the only one who uses it that way, especially in everyday speech... an "LVJeff-ism"?). In any case, regardless of interpretation, that's how the song makes me feel. Sad. The build-up in the end is an uplifting one, one of inspiration even, but only after the rest of the song has been making me feel melancholy. TEOTT is, to me, They's most serious-sounding song, and the irony in that makes me a big fan of the song. ((Scrolling down...) Boy, this song gets a lot of interps!) --LVJeff, who, upon seeing a car accident, has been known to comment, "That's just not happy." ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:00:31 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-350 -Reply ******************** {"Gentle" Ben - anyone else think that Tom Waits is the bomb?} (engage delurking device) Hoboy! Now we come full circle! I've been a Tom Waits fan since the late 70s. I wondered if anyone else noticed. How about Leon Redbone in the TMBG list of Other Cool Musicians? Marco "One who has everything except that without which all else is nothing" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:08:32 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-350 -Reply I don't know about you, but I call my violin my horn, my car my axe, and my car horn my skins. Everybody clear? And the piece of skin at the nape of the neck an electric elk called Simon. The point is frozen, the beast is dead. Marco ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:21:49 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: * TMBG Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Spoonerism wrote: > In a message dated 97-12-16 01:11:56 EST, jgroah@rica.net writes: > > << Don't Let's Start playing on > the radio. It took a minute before I figured out it was Star 69 by > R.E.M. Anybody familiar with this song off their Monster album? It has > the same melody as DLS, and even a part of the song (my music > terminology is limited, i.e. lyric and drum) were Michael Stipe sings a > deputy dog dog a ding and so on kind of line. Coincidence? Hmmmmm... >> > > The chord structure is definately similar, but the lyrics are no where the > same. Michael Stipe's lyrics tend to be more.... poetic? than They's. The > Part that sounds like the "deputy ding dong etc.etc." section is something > like "3 people have my number why I don't know" (or something, I'll have to > check the CD), and it just sounds muddled because they loop the same thing > like a half a second later, so it's like > > 3 people have my number... > 3 people have my number... > All at once, though. ; ) > > -Casey, who's current favourite TMBG song is "Certain People I Could Name" > I think it's something like "Three people have my number, the other two were with me that night..." The story in the song seems to be about an ex-lover prank calling Michael, which is a dumb thing to do ("Don't have to take the bar exam to see/ that what you did was Ignoramus 103" ) because he can just *69 'em. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:27:16 -0600 (CST) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > I don't think the words are actually straightforward. That's a > >cheap interpretation, and makes Linnell, frankly, look like a bad lyricist > >(if he actually meant "I should be allowed to share my feelings" > >literally, I'd lose respect for him...). The narrator of the song is being > >blunt, yes... but we're supposed to laugh at the narrator. He's an > >idiot. He keeps whining about his repressed freedom of speech, but he > >hasn't got a damn thing to say. > > (Kirsten blinks and thinks about it) I can see that, I suppose, > but I'm not so sure.. In other songs where Linnell is being > sarcastic/ironic, like "Snail Shell," there's a clue that it shouldn't be > taken at face value. But "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is just such a > straighforward song (sorry to keep using that, but it's the only word I > can think of at the time) that I can't seem to get the sense of irony from > it that you have. Maybe it's because I've taken it at face value for so > long. Granted, I never said it was a song that was one of my favorites - > I find it rather repetative and sort of boring to listen to, but that's > just my personal opinion. I can't help but think of all the people that > wanted to see "New York City" as being ironic, but were disappointed when > it was discovered that everyone seemed quite sincere about it... (yes, I > know it was a cover) > > Kirsten > -- Okay, but here's the rationale for why we're not supposed to side with the dumbass narrator of "I should be allowed": 1) He's not smart. He's "The worst hope of my generation". 2) He doesn't take the time to think out his ideas before blurting them out: "I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off" (this is not the kind of thing Linnell, or most people admire...). 3) He thinks that an intelligent way to spread his Philosophy of the World" is to "have a call-in show" (usually a pretty tacky medium), where other loudmouths can call in with their dumb comments. 4) His stupid flyer messes up the utility pole, and gets nothing accomplished. 5) There's the repeating joke about how he should be allowed to voice his ideas... if only he could think of an idea. There's no way in hell John Linnell means this song to be a desperate cry for freedom of speech. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: I'm Horny Message-ID: <19971217.124650.7895.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:28:25 EST If I had a car, which I don't, it would have a shiny red button. When this button is pressed, a giant punching glove would shoot out of the front of the car, and don't forget the storybook ping! _ _ ( *I*) TMBG content> "Here's hoping you don't/ become a robot/ \--/ clang clang Whoops! Too late" Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:44:39 -0500 (EST) From: The Living Behemoth Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen Message-id: Right on, bro! ISBATT is definitely an ironic song. Although it is easy for me to see how it could be taken face value...this interp is good. -The Living Behemoth > > Okay, but here's the rationale for why we're not supposed to side > with the dumbass narrator of "I should be allowed": > 1) He's not smart. He's "The worst hope of my generation". > 2) He doesn't take the time to think out his ideas before blurting them > out: "I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off" (this is not the kind > of thing Linnell, or most people admire...). > 3) He thinks that an intelligent way to spread his Philosophy of the > World" is to "have a call-in show" (usually a pretty tacky medium), where > other loudmouths can call in with their dumb comments. > 4) His stupid flyer messes up the utility pole, and gets nothing > accomplished. > 5) There's the repeating joke about how he should be allowed to voice his > ideas... if only he could think of an idea. > There's no way in hell John Linnell means this song to be a > desperate cry for freedom of speech. > -Chris Stangl > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 16:57 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Related stuff to what been said on the list recen > Okay, but here's the rationale for why we're not supposed to side >with the dumbass narrator of "I should be allowed": >1) He's not smart. He's "The worst hope of my generation". Or it could just be Linnell on a bad day. I mean, who hasn't felt like the worst hope, or the worst band, of their generation? :) I'm starting to see your point of view, and I'm actually starting to like the song a little more now... Ever notice that almost any line from the song makes a convenient slogan? Reminds me of the stuff we used to scrawl on our notebooks in ninth grade. Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:35:09 CST Subject: TMBG: isbatt Message-ID: <40C908F0A22@athena.valpo.edu> 6)unless you count the relatively recent amendment against flag burning, freedom of speech in america is quite safe. so if isbatt is supposed to be taken literally, it has very little value since it tries to defend a point of view that's already well-established. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:43:48 -0500 (EST) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: isbatt Message-Id: On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Mr. Me wrote: > unless you count the relatively recent amendment against flag > burning, freedom of speech in america is quite safe. That amendment didn't pass, as far as I know. If it actually passed when did it happen?!?! -Wubba --- Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.272.1854 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: <7c0cf70d.34985bff@aol.com> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:10:53 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: isbatt Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-17 18:09:39 EST, webbere@alphaclp.clpgh.org writes: << > unless you count the relatively recent amendment against flag > burning, freedom of speech in america is quite safe. That amendment didn't pass, as far as I know. If it actually passed when did it happen?!?! >> it didn't pass at all i am happy to say that freedom is still ours. (-: The Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712180012.SAA14714@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: isbatt Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:55:25 -0600 >> << > unless you count the relatively recent amendment against flag >>> > burning, freedom of speech in america is quite safe. > >> That amendment didn't pass, as far as I know. If it actually passed when >> did it happen?!?! >> > > it didn't pass at all i am happy to say that freedom is still ours. (-: Thank God. Now I can burn that flag this weekend. HOORAY! Mike " *THAT'S* why we broke from the British" Leffel ----I know what flag burners are called... MIDDLE EASTERNERS! ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:57:19 CST Subject: TMBG: RE: isbatt Message-ID: <40EEF1E03F5@athena.valpo.edu> oops, i guess it didn't. all i remember is that when the subject was brought up a few years ago, nobody really wanted to endorse flag burning and nobody wanted to limit free speech either. i lost track of the argument before the amendment was supported or rejected. so no more corrections sent to me on this one. wait till i screw up again. jeremy, who just listened to a18 on random. try it sometime. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Cartmen, you couldn't tell the difference between a rain forest and a pop tart!! "Yeah I can, a pop tart's frosted." --Comedy central's "South Park" [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:03:55 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Do you find Them intriguing? Message-ID: <19971217.190359.10510.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (SLOWFALL N) If you think TMBG(or just one of the Johns) should be in People magazine as one of 1997 most intriguing people of the year(and if you want to vote for Hanson for least intriguing) then I think you'll want to go to: www.pathfinder.com/people/sp/intrigue97/vote/poll.html Come on and show your support for TMBG. After voting, they show you a list of the 97 most voted for so far and I'm pretty amazed that even the Bee Gee's are on there. (Just in case there are any Bee Gee's fans out there I apologize). Even if you don't at least vote for one of Them, you can still cast shame upon the little pukey faces of Hanson. Old School Andy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712180127.TAA16160@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:09:42 -0600 YES! The Third Rock From The Sun christmas episode where they mention FLANSBURGH and LINNELL is on... ...the mentioning just occured however... Mike " Twin Fishbowl Secret Santas Of Rock" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:50:38 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. Message-ID: On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, mal wrote: > > YES! The Third Rock From The Sun christmas episode > where they mention FLANSBURGH and LINNELL is on... There's also what appears to be a Brian Dewan reference, but I am certain that this has been mentioned here in the past numerous times, he said insouciantly. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com Want to be on my short story mailing list? Just tell me so. *-----------------------------* Food processors are great. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971217215443.0081a970@csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 21:54:43 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. At 09:50 PM 12/17/97 -0500, you wrote: >On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, mal wrote: >> >> YES! The Third Rock From The Sun christmas episode >> where they mention FLANSBURGH and LINNELL is on... > > There's also what appears to be a Brian Dewan reference, but I am >certain that this has been mentioned here in the past numerous times, he >said insouciantly. > Don't forget, later in the episode, Dick sings, "O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum, that's German for Christmas tree." Dylan "That Cloud Looks Like a TMBG Reference...And a Mike Leffel one too!" Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971217224718.006a7f10@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:47:18 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Sessions At West 54th Has anyone else seen this excellent show on PBS? Geez, I'd love it if TMBG would make an appearance. It certainly seems like the type of show they'd do. Sorry if this has been mentioned here before...I remember seeing it mentioned on Chalkhills... There's a web site at http://www.sessionsatwest54th.com/ Anyway, how do the rest of you feel about the Presidents of the United States breaking up? Read the official announcement at http://www.music.sony.com/Music/ArtistInfo/Presidents/ TTYL, -Adam, hoping that last album isn't "Rarities", the Japanese import he paid $30 for /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971218040106.0067f704@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:01:06 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: No damn dancing in my town, bastards. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I missed it! Damn Pre-emptying Southern Woman show. I'm gonna kill some idiot for putting some stupid "Southern" show on a Mid-Western Television station. I hate idiots who pre-empty shows! L+B=D At 07:09 PM 12/17/97 -0600, mal wrote: > > >YES! The Third Rock From The Sun christmas episode >where they mention FLANSBURGH and LINNELL is on... > > > >...the mentioning just occured however... > >Mike " Twin Fishbowl Secret Santas Of Rock" Leffel > > LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: please help Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 23:44:04 -0500 Message-Id: <04492462500042@dancingink.com> > Has anyone else seen this excellent show on PBS? Geez, I'd love it if TMBG > would make an appearance. It certainly seems like the type of show they'd > do. Sorry if this has been mentioned here before...I remember seeing it > mentioned on Chalkhills... There's a web site at > http://www.sessionsatwest54th.com/ I've seen the site before but I've never been able to find it on my local PBS. They've had a lot of really cool guests including Squirrel Nut Zippers and World Party. Does anyone live near enough to Elkhart/Southbend Indiana to get channel 34 or near Chicago to get channel 11? or is it 9, I can't remember. If you do and know when this show is on...... PLEASE let me know! > Anyway, how do the rest of you feel about the Presidents of the United > States breaking up? Read the official announcement at CRAP! I really like those guys! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-351 ******************************