Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-354 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 354 Sunday, 21 December 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? Re: Non-TMBG: Who is Bruce Campbell? TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente TMBG: Good to be back... IPCDs Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente TMBG: I'm getting confused Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused TMBG: Christmas Tape Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:04:10 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712201404.JAA15188@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? >They will become huge! I really beleive that! For as long as I can remember, every time TMBG came out with any new material, people claimed that if only "Insert TMBG Song Here" got some air time, it would be famous. Since we're all TMBG fans, we genuinely believe it. But at some point we have to face up to the fact that although TMBG is the greatest band ever, most people don't feel that way. Mitcharf the Malevolent ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971220164824.24618.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kyle Carrozza" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 08:48:23 PST >>They will become huge! I really beleive that! > >For as long as I can remember, every time TMBG came out with any new >material, people claimed that if only "Insert TMBG Song Here" got some air >time, it would be famous. Since we're all TMBG fans, we genuinely believe >it. But at some point we have to face up to the fact that although TMBG is >the greatest band ever, most people don't feel that way. And for the most part, they haven't gotten air time due to under-promotion. I think that there really is some power behind "12 Angry Viewers". Judging by what ends up in regular rotation as a result of that show, it will give TMBG neccessary exposure and will have a big hit. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971220120339.00685c9c@pop.indy.net> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:03:39 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG vs. The Beatles? > >For as long as I can remember, every time TMBG came out with any new >material, people claimed that if only "Insert TMBG Song Here" got some air >time, it would be famous. Since we're all TMBG fans, we genuinely believe >it. But at some point we have to face up to the fact that although TMBG is >the greatest band ever, most people don't feel that way. > >Mitcharf the Malevolent > > well, no, (and i'm not just saying this because i think tmbg is the best band ever). for example, take the whole tiny toons/ particle man/ istanbul thing. those songs became quite popular and they're not even tmbg's best efforts. flood was probably one of they're best selling albums because it got the most coverage. thats not to say that every song they produce would be loved by all but if tmbg just got promoted more- that is to say if some people knew that they had other songs besides istanbul- i'm sure they would gain a lot larger fan base than they have now. of course, thats not always a good thing. -rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971220183238.0068dda8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:32:38 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Who is Bruce Campbell? >>He is the star of >>Sam Raimi's Evil Dead I & II, Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead III [to the initiates] >>), the >short- >>lived FOX TV series, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., as well as a few >>guest-shots on TV's Hercules and Xena and Ellen. > >...and these are good examples of "Great Acting"???? >Boy he must SHINE compared to everyone else in these productions! ARE YOU TALKING BAD ON BRUCE CAMPBELL! I think I'll forward this message to The Man himself. Lets see what he thinks of your message. (Oh when I said forward to The Man, I was talking about BC not Leffel) (Sorry for the confusion) L(D)B LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971220184438.00687440@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:44:38 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente OK. Dillema. I can't spell, but lets tackle one problem at a time: The other day in Desktop Publishing class, a girl asked to look through my CD's. (and of course I let her 'cause I pretti much do anything females tell me to do) Well she started reading the lyrics to the They Might Be Giants songs. Well she liked the lyrics and asked to borrow my CD's, so she could decide if she wanted to buy them. I suggested that I could make a tape of all their best songs for her, because I use my TMBG CD's all the time in Advance Broadcast Journalism class. So I ask of you what songs should I put on this tape? I would just pick my favorite songs but those change everytime I put in one of their CD's. I have all their albums, no singles though. PLEASE HELP ME. Its a 90 min, so have at! L$D@B LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 20 Dec 97 14:30 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente So I ask of you what songs >should I put on this tape? I would just pick my favorite songs but those >change everytime I put in one of their CD's. So, is she cute? ;) j/k... I usually put in a liberal sampling of their singles, stuff the person might have heard once upon a time - people like to recognize things. Then I try to get a sampling of their different styles; for example, a couple of my current favorite songs from each album, so they can hear Them throughout the ages. I also seem to end up putting a lot of stuff from John Henry, like "Sleeping In the Flowers," "Why Must I Be Sad?" and "Spy." Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712201946.OAA24428@ee.net> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:42:54 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Good to be back... IPCDs Hello, I'm back on the list after quite a while now... I doubt anyone remembers me... oh well, who cares... onward to the purpose of this message: I have ten IPCDs that I'd like to get rid of. If you don't know what these are, don't clutter the list talking about it, just ignore this message (or you might consider asking about it on IRC). If you are interested, e-mail me for more info. Also, if you have already paid, but haven't gotten yours yet (And you live in the US), please tell me. (Australia + Canada, I will send yours very soon...) Thanks, -ec ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971220201132.00692b0c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 14:11:32 -0600 From: "The Lil' Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente The problem with living in Kansass is that TMBG never gets any radio airplay. Though Lincoln (The Band) gets some... LsDB At 02:30 PM 12/20/97 EST, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: >So I ask of you what songs >>should I put on this tape? I would just pick my favorite songs but those >>change everytime I put in one of their CD's. > > So, is she cute? ;) j/k... I usually put in a liberal sampling of >their singles, stuff the person might have heard once upon a time - people >like to recognize things. Then I try to get a sampling of their different >styles; for example, a couple of my current favorite songs from each >album, so they can hear Them throughout the ages. I also seem to end up >putting a lot of stuff from John Henry, like "Sleeping In the Flowers," >"Why Must I Be Sad?" and "Spy." LDB's They Might Be Giant Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/tmbg/index.htm The Mr. Gone Font Page: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/mrgone/index.html ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199712202359.PAA17938@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 18:59:35 -0500 Subject: TMBG: I'm getting confused I was in band class on the friday before Christmas break and I stumbled into a table. On this table was some music written for a Tenor Sax. The song was.........."I'm gettin' sentimental over you"! Does anyone know if this was remade by Them? Up in the corner it said who wrote it and stuff. None of the names I saw were John L. or John F. Is anyone else sick of those stupid (first name) "blah blah" (last name) things? Only (I'm sorry for any mistakes and mispellings) Mike Lieffel could make it amusing ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: <4e999450.349c5cd6@aol.com> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:03:32 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-20 19:01:06 EST, filthyscarecrow@webtv.net writes: << anyone else sick of those stupid (first name) "blah blah" (last name) things? Only (I'm sorry for any mistakes and mispellings) Mike Lieffel could make it amusing >> yes very........and i agree only he could make it funny........ amber ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712210039.SAA10173@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 18:23:03 -0600 Once upon a time, someone who decided that surfing the web on his TV was cool wrote... > > I was in band class on the friday before Christmas break and I > stumbled into a table. Mind the solids, boy. You ain't no damn VISION you know. Hardly a Kitty Pride either. In this country, we obey the laws of physics!! >On this table was some music written for a Tenor > Sax. The song was.........."I'm gettin' sentimental over you"! > Does anyone know if this was remade by Them? Up in the corner it said > who wrote it and stuff. None of the names I saw were John L. or John F. This song was done by THEY, but it's akin to WDTSS?, How Can I Sing Like A Girl, Istanbul, 25 O'Clock, Cowtown, New York City, Doctor Worm, and Jessica.... previously made songs. Most of them originally by obscure bands and/or Frank Sinatra. > Is anyone else sick of those stupid (first name) "blah blah" (last > name) things? Mike "Mike "Uh...no" Leffel" Leffel > Only (I'm sorry for any mistakes and mispellings) Mike > Lieffel could make it amusing > Damn right. I'm bigger than the list, and I'm enough man for all the ladies and some guys. Especially some horses. --TMBG CONTENTO-- You know what would help TMBG gain popularity? Neither do I. * ------------------------------- Mike "Mister Hanky, the Christmas Poo" Leffel --- currently eating his weight in olives and drinking his weight in thermometer mercury... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971220224543.00922b90@csrlink.net> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 22:45:43 -0500 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Christmas Tape A while ago someone was talking about making a Christmas tape with TMBG songs. Well, I was just thinking that you could probably include Careless Santa by Mono Puff. Heheh, for some actual content I was at the mall yesterday wearing my World Tour 2040 shirt. This guy came up to me and asked where I'd gotten it. I ended up telling him all about the dual Philly shows in September, and then that TMBG were without a label. He wanted to know about Mono Puff and we ended up talking about them a while too. It made my day, to say the least. And then I saw James Bond. Did anyone else think it was too sappy at times? Dylan "Me and the rest of Leffel/LotharCo like our sigs, damnit" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:15:39 -0500 Message-Id: <199712210415.XAA14815@backup.MNSi.Net> From: John DeMarco Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused At 18:59 20/12/97 -0500, you wrote: > I was in band class on the friday before Christmas break and I >stumbled into a table. On this table was some music written for a Tenor >Sax. The song was.........."I'm gettin' sentimental over you"! > Does anyone know if this was remade by Them? Up Yup, that tune was originally written and performed by Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra. Even on The Early Years it makes some allusion as to not being an original They Might Be Giants song. It calls it an "adaptation", I suppose, because it does contain some "bonus lyrics" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-354 ******************************