Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-355 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 355 Monday, 22 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: My MP3 Page TMBG: Instrumental THEY TMBG: Take a Ride on the Reading Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY TMBG: Cowtown, etc. Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY NON-TMBG: BNL Re: NON-TMBG: BNL Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY TMBG: linnell Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused NON-TMBG: The Mommyheads Re: TMBG: linnell Re: TMBG: BF5 Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY TMBG: REmakes? TMBG: gettin' sentimental TMBG: Vote for TMBG Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Re: TMBG: Take a Ride on the Reading Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente TMBG: TMBG on TV TMBG: Who needs radio!!! TMBG: O tannenbaum EP TMBG: Dancing trees for all our fans - from John and John Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 02:04:02 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: My MP3 Page Message-ID: Page is down for christmas break (~3 wks.). Will be up later with new address (new room=new addy). Happy holidays and whatnot. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712210738.BAA15948@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 01:21:55 -0600 I was listening to an expressly insrumental Christmas CD (for background in caroling and whatnitty) and I wondered what instrumental songs there were in the TMBG library. Okay... we've got Space Suit, Jessica, Triburro (a three headed donkey bent on world domination!),.... ummm... what else? Mike "I bet Larry Solomon would taste my pee." Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:09:26 -0500 (EST) From: MannyChrist Subject: TMBG: Take a Ride on the Reading Message-ID: As far as I can tell, both "Cowtown" and "How Can I Sing Like A Girl" are original compositions courtesy of our boys, though my knowledge of this extends only to the liner credits on the albums. Onto another tangent, Bruce Campbell is indeed one of the finest thespians of the 20th century, and the cancellation of "The Adventures of Brisco County Junior" is perhaps one of the greatest tragedies of this millennia. Oh, and sorry to disregard a direct order, but what exactly is an "IPCD," and sure I'll take one; I'd sell my soul for one. And just in case anyone cares, this past Monday I was lucky enough to see the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan in Orlando, FL. It was their first appearance in the Gunshine State since 1992. They were much more than I could have possibly hoped for. Oh, and my birthday is on the 25th of this fine month (during some obnoxious holiday people keep telling me about). I'll be 21, can anyone recommend good TMBG drinking songs? Failing that, any good TMBG sniffing glue songs? All suggestions appreciated. Bye now. * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Emmanuel Donio | A Poem About Flowers And Death | edd1981@garnet.acns.fsu.edu | Sifting through the flower bed, donio@freenet.tlh.fl.us | And picking green and pink and red, hotcha@tmbg.org | Then swiftly keeling over dead, | Allergies, allergies, allergies... * --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Some guy/gal wrote: > >On this table was some music written for a Tenor > > Sax. The song was.........."I'm gettin' sentimental over you"! > > Does anyone know if this was remade by Them? Up in the corner it said > > who wrote it and stuff. None of the names I saw were John L. or John F. > > This song was done by THEY, but it's akin to WDTSS?, How Can I > Sing Like A Girl, Istanbul, 25 O'Clock, Cowtown, New York > City, Doctor Worm, and Jessica.... previously made songs. Most > of them originally by obscure bands and/or Frank Sinatra. > > > Is anyone else sick of those stupid (first name) "blah blah" (last > > name) things? > > Mike "Mike "Uh...no" Leffel" Leffel ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:08:45 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Mr.leffel we also have lady is a tramp The Ben ------------------------------ Message-ID: <349D0022.76B864FF@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:40:21 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Cowtown, etc. Someone (I forget who) said: >This song [Getting Sentimental Over You] was done by THEY, but it's akin to WDTSS?, How Can I >Sing Like A Girl, Istanbul, 25 O'Clock, Cowtown, New York >City, Doctor Worm, and Jessica.... previously made songs. Most >of them originally by obscure bands and/or Frank Sinatra. Cowtown? How Can I Sing Like Girl? Doctor Worm? How do you figure those aren't TMBG originals? You must have been thinking of an unrelated thing. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "Wouldn't it be great if Tinkerbell tink'd everybody on the head with the kitchen sink?" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:58:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Would "Siftin'" count as an instrumental? The only word they say is the title (and the "la la la's"). Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 09:36:14 -0700 Subject: NON-TMBG: BNL Message-ID: <19971221.093619.11222.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy hEY! forgive my post about BNL but this list was the first place i ever heard of them so... Last night i heard a re-broadcast of a BNL show in boulder (CO) last wednesday night (the 17th... i think that was wednesday) anyways, it was the first time i had ever heard them and i just have one little question... how could anyone compare these guys to TMBG? [i'm not saying they're bad, in fact i totally dug the show, it's just that they're totally different] so now i make a small request to all BNL fans... what CD of theirs would you say is the best? i don't want to sit here and listen to my recording of this show 20 billion times... i'm thinking about *rock spectacle* just cuz i really dug this live show but... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971221115125.006a4b00@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:51:25 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: BNL At 09:36 AM 12/21/97 -0700, you wrote: >hEy hEY! >forgive my post about BNL but this list was the first place i ever heard >of them so... Same here. People here and on #weird-al pushed them on me, and I can't thank them enough. :-) > Last night i heard a re-broadcast of a BNL show in boulder (CO) last >wednesday night (the 17th... i think that was wednesday) anyways, it was >the first time i had ever heard them and i just have one little >question... how could anyone compare these guys to TMBG? [i'm not >saying they're bad, in fact i totally dug the show, it's just that >they're totally different] Their older stuff (Gordon) was a lot closer, but after that, they kind of went in a different direction... It's all great though. :) > so now i make a small request to all BNL fans... what CD of theirs >would you say is the best? i don't want to sit here and listen to my >recording of this show 20 billion times... i'm thinking about *rock >spectacle* just cuz i really dug this live show but... It's tough to say. The track listing on Rock Spectacle isn't that great (no one flame me!). I'd go with Gordon...it's an incredible album, and it's also very long. :) The great thing is that it's long, but it doesn't seem like it...I never want it to end! :) TTYL, -Adam, whose 2 Moxy Fruvous CDs should arrive on Monday /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971221123405.006a8a28@pop.indy.net> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:34:05 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY um, try pennsylvania. it only has 1 word. :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971221123608.006a8a28@pop.indy.net> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:36:08 -0500 From: Rachel Subject: TMBG: linnell being the nosey stalker that i am, i must know- is linnel married? when did this happen!? i feel so inadequate. -rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 97 13:11 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm getting confused >>On this table was some music written for a Tenor >> Sax. The song was.........."I'm gettin' sentimental over you"! >This song was done by THEY, but it's akin to WDTSS?, How Can I >Sing Like A Girl, Istanbul, 25 O'Clock, Cowtown, New York >City, Doctor Worm, and Jessica.... previously made songs. Most >of them originally by obscure bands and/or Frank Sinatra. This one in particular was originally, according to my dad's trombone music, by George Bassman (music) and Ned Washington (words). Seems like TMBG used the same words, but changed the tune, or maybe it was the other way around... Kirsten "I like to pretend I know things" Brodbeck -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 97 13:40 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.emcen.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: NON-TMBG: The Mommyheads Hey, for all you fans of the Mommyhead's "Bingham's Hole", I picked up their new self-titled release yesterday. Great stuff! It's definitely worth checking out. TMBG Content: The Mommyheads' new album is on Geffen. Maybe this would be a good place for TMBG? Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712211904.NAA05495@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: linnell Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:46:44 -0600 > > being the nosey stalker that i am, i must know- is linnel married? when did > this happen!? i feel so inadequate. Some stalker you are! ^_^ Mike "I can give you the location of three different people within a quarter-mile of err" Leffel ---not to be confused with Starro the Conquerer ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 14:42:47 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: BF5 Message-ID: <19971221.145908.4814.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Don't forget that they are on Satuday Night Live with Samuel L. Jackson next week! I can't wait! I hope they play One Angry Dwarf... That is my favorite song on Whatever... Ben is the best on piano and that is just the end of it! Tim, will miss Chris Farley Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 19:12:57 -0500 jbparke@juno.com (Jeff B Parker) writes: > >Thought I'd pass along this little tidbit to all you Ben Folds Five >fans out there like myself... they're gonna be playing on MTV Live >tomorrow, i think that the show starts at 6 p.m. EST, but I'm not >positive...anyway, check this out, especially if you've never heard >anything by them before, you won't be disappointed!!! well, i'm not >guaranteeing anything but you PROBABLY won't be disappointed!!! > >Jeffro "gimme back my black t-shirt" Parker ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes Message-ID: <4b046999.349d8015@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:46:11 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-21 14:14:42 EST, eck@indy.net writes: << um, try pennsylvania. it only has 1 word. :) >> Well if were including solo stuff, you might as well go with almost all of Hall of Mayors. Hmm....Guitar Was The Case, Dr.Kildare sort of, To Serve Mankind TMBG ones.....i would say Hello Radio. Im at a blank now. I wish i had some mst3k on tape, im really in the mood to watch it. I have Mitchel, but thats not one of my favorites. I heard a rumor that they got the rights to Batman and Robin. Id like to see that. God that was horrible. Ugh, its not even worth talking about...but hey, new Simpsons tonight. Oooh boy, a christmas special. Those are always funn-eh shi-et. You want some lovely? Ive got some lovely, Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971221164408.0069c144@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:44:08 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY At 03:46 PM 12/21/97 EST, you wrote: >In a message dated 97-12-21 14:14:42 EST, eck@indy.net writes: > ><< > um, try pennsylvania. it only has 1 word. :) >> > >Well if were including solo stuff, you might as well go with almost all of >Hall of Mayors. Hmm....Guitar Was The Case, Dr.Kildare sort of, To Serve Hmmm...I wouldn't put Dr. Kildare on there...it only has a few lines, but enough to make it not an instrumental... Who'll teach me drama? Who'll be my acting coach? I love the theater I'm Dr. Kildare >Mankind >TMBG ones.....i would say Hello Radio. Im at a blank now. I wish i had some >mst3k on tape, im really in the mood to watch it. I have Mitchel, but thats >not one of my favorites. I heard a rumor that they got the rights to Batman >and Robin. Id like to see that. God that was horrible. Ugh, its not even worth I don't think that rumor's for real, although I'm heard it too. >talking about...but hey, new Simpsons tonight. Oooh boy, a christmas special. >Those are always funn-eh shi-et. > >You want some lovely? Ive got some lovely, Geez, I think I'm one of 4 people on the planet that likes that song. :) It's more or less hated by everyone on Chalkhills. TTYL, -Adam (that how you spell me in your dictionary) /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:18:12 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199712212218.RAA09308@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: REmakes? Ummmm... I may be out of line here, questioning the almighty Left-field Leffell, but um... Cowtown, Hoc Can I Sing Like a Girl and Dr. Worm are remakes? Either our erratic one was throwing these in to skew the view (as he is apt to do), or i am totally missing something... so, whats the verdict on this one? If they ARE indeed covers, where did they come from Originally? The "blah blah" Denominator ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz Message-ID: <868f0668.349d96c9@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:23:03 EST Subject: TMBG: gettin' sentimental Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) >This song was done by THEY, but it's akin to WDTSS?, How Can I >Sing Like A Girl, Istanbul, 25 O'Clock, Cowtown, New York >City, Doctor Worm, and Jessica.... previously made songs. Most >of them originally by obscure bands and/or Frank Sinatra. Getting Sentimental is in fact an ungodly hybrid of TWO songs of the same name, the music by the tommy dorsey orchestra (i should probably know how to spell that. i've even got a cheesy longines symphonette recording of it) and the words from an ella fitzgerald tune. i think thats what it is. not even flans could write those.... also Cowtown, Dr Worm and How Can I Sing Like A Girl are all tmbg originals (despite shades of tellstar on the last.) cuz im on the digest i doubt anyone will care by the time they read this. and a merry christmas to everyone, regardless of what holiday you choose to celibrate. cya at the mythical 8th mercury lounge show in our minds! just another educational moment of clarity, ~liz "i once was found but now im lost and wound up in the lost and found" -brian dewan ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 19:27:50 EST Subject: TMBG: Vote for TMBG Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I also encourage all of you to visit: http://www.pathfinder.com/people/sp/intrigue97/vote/poll.html We can make a difference! We might get TMBG up to number 90 or so!!! Come on, there are thousands of people saying HANSON is intreging???? My personal vote was as follows: Most: John Flansburgh (& They Might be Giants) Least: The Hanson sisters (mmm...bop sucks) Also, just for the record, I was lsitening to the radio REALLY loud & Ana Ng came on & my sister thought I was listening to my CD, & didn't believe it was the radio! I also got the Back to Skull single this weekend...it's cool....oh, & I've never headr Lincoln on the radio, but I've heard Momo Puff... jason "what ELSE do you think i'm doing on a sunday night?" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:08:17 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Instrumental- 1. a: serving as a means, agent, or tool...b: of, relating to, or done with an instrument or tool 2. relating to, composed for, or performed on a musical instrument 3. of, relating to, or being a grammatical case or form expressing means or agency 4. of or relating to instrumentalism (a doctrine that ideas are instruments of action and that their usefulness determines their truth) By these definitions can we not say that all TMBG songs are instrumental? -Mono "well if you're gonna get technical" treme ------------------------------ From: Benmobil Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:16:42 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Instrumental THEY Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I was once at a wedding reception looking through a kareoke listening to my drunk relitives screach to all kind of music (yes someone even sang macarena i know horrible ain't it?) anf lo and behold on page 19-d i found Birdhouse in your soul as a kareoke song . it was instrumental. but TMBkareoke? ewww i shudder to think. The Ben ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Take a Ride on the Reading Message-ID: <19971221.193230.7895.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:13:44 EST hehe how bout' "Lie still little bottle." or "I hope that I get old before I die" especially the bonus track version on "Then" Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Es Tape Es Muy Gigante | Infierno Es Muy Caliente Message-ID: <19971221.193229.7895.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:13:43 EST Well I hooked my friend w/ the bonus tracks on the "Then" CD I also suggest a lot of songs from Apollo 18 Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971221231533.0069815c@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:15:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV The Viva Variety with TMBG will be rerun at 12:30 PM on Tuesday on Comedy Central. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <349DF7AD.96604C36@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:16:30 -0700 From: Mike Stoffregen Subject: TMBG: Who needs radio!!! TMBG may not get as much radio play as its fans want it too, but why should that stop the band from reaching mainstream success! Last week my friends and I were able to put together "Song week." The idea was that the school would vote for songs and we would than play those songs over the intercom. Since my friends and I were the ones counting the votes, TMBG's "Sun Song" mysteriously won. It warped a couple more minds to the dark side. The moral of the story is that there is more than one way to have the masses exposed to They. Stoff. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:15:35 -0700 Subject: TMBG: O tannenbaum EP Message-ID: <19971221.221539.13606.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy! i requested christmas cards and mr. DJ says "Some freak stole my TMBG Xmas single." so, i was forced to pull out my own copy of O tannenbaum from the depths of a self called nowhere when i noticed *F/N RLE* engraved into the 7" which leads me to ask if anyone a) knows what it means b) if it's on any one else's take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ***Now, with...: punctuation - (for easy); reading!*** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199712220642.BAA01169@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (John and John) Date: Sun, 21 Dec 97 22:47:30 -00800 (PST) Subject: TMBG: Dancing trees for all our fans - from John and John Guess what!! John and John has just sent you an animated greeting card You can pick up your personal greeting by connecting to the following WWW Address: http://www.bluemountain.com/cards/box6064/allo8865pjy9895.html _______________________________________________________________________ You can CONNECT THROUGH A BROWSER (such as Netscape, IE or AOL) to the World Wide Web and simply copy and paste the exact WWW address from above into the "Location" or "Address" space in your BROWSER. IMPORTANT: COPY EXACTLY - NO BLANK SPACES! - ALL LOWER CASE! (Your greeting card will be available for the next 30 days) This service is FREE! :) HAVE a good day and have fun! _______________________________________________________________________ Accessing your card indicates your agreement with our Website Rules posted at the bottom of the following Web location: (You're welcome to send a free card to someone at this location) http://www.bluemountain.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-355 ******************************