Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-358 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 358 Thursday, 25 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" TMBG: Merry Christmas, and who is Matt and Gunnar? Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Re: TMBG: Merry Christmas, and who is Matt and Gunnar? Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Re: TMBG: NYSingle? (none) TMBG: Flansburgh LIVE at The Bottom Line 12/20 TMBG: Flansburgh LIVE at The Bottom Line 12/20 TMBG: Old Man Shirt Appearing in A Theater Near You!!!! Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Message-ID: <19971224.095435.7919.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 13:35:41 EST My sister rumored that TMBG does the theme song for Bill Mai(sp?) The Science Guy" Is that true? Mysterio Gal "They've Garble Warble Fashes!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34A0B0FE.23755B9F@mix-net.net> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 02:51:47 -0400 From: Chuck Campbell Subject: TMBG: Merry Christmas, and who is Matt and Gunnar? Merry Christmas Everyone!!!! On TMBG's answering maching they say "They might be giants, boy, they might be giants. Hi this is Gunnar and Matthew from they might be giants......." Who is Gunnar and Matthew????? Oh, and the new of Flansburghs kid came from an unrelible source, so I don't think it's true. BYE -Chris "Feeny Campbell. The "Feenster". Or better known as "Istanbul" on IRC! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Dec 97 15:47 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.emcen.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" > >My sister rumored that TMBG does the theme song for Bill Mai(sp?) The >Science Guy" > >Is that true? Unless they've changed the theme recently, I'm almost 100% sure that it is NOT TMBG singing the theme to "Bill Nye the Science Guy." It sounds nothing like them. Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Dec 97 15:48 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Merry Christmas, and who is Matt and Gunnar? >On TMBG's answering maching they say >"They might be giants, boy, they might be giants. Hi this is Gunnar and Matthew from >they might be giants......." >Who is Gunnar and Matthew????? Weren't they the guys from Nelson? Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 13:19:18 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Message-ID: <19971224.132728.16638.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Actually, I don't think it's true. They had an episode on the sun, and they never played WDTSS, and I doubt that if the band who did the theme song would be neglected when the same band has a song on the subject. I watch wayyyyyy to much PBS. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:42:26 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: NYSingle? Message-ID: <19971224.165310.4774.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hmmm, NYC has a PIN number? This leads me to beleive that is was released as a single... I am going to assume that it is a radio only single since I didn't see any EP dedicated to this song... Was this released as a single? Also, I believed that Triple J was a radio show played only in Australia, but the www.abc.net domain name leads me to believe that it is played all over? Where can I find out what affiliates play the show? Tim, he just goes nuts at Christmas time Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: O Tannenbaum On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:39:32 +1100 Brownie writes: >If you want to vote for TMBG in the JJJ Hottest 100 go to >http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/ > >New York City is key number 327 and SEXXY is number 328. Why they are >elligible this year is beyond me... I voted for SEXXY last year before >they >brought the PIN number system back. > >Brownie <<>> ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 17:03:46 -0500 Message-ID: <19971224.170450.4774.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Someone Said: <> Then Someone Else said: <> Someone else is exactly right! These WERE the guys from Nelson! I was just about to post the same message before I read the message by Someone.... See, I was listening to the cheesy Voices that Care cassette single we have (my sister wants to sing it) and I thoguht that the other side was the instrumental, well it is actually a bunch of "celebrity messages" to "Our boys" One of the greetings goes "This is Gonnar and Matthew from Nelson" and I freaked out! Uhhh... well that is all, (circle one) Merry/Happy (check one) O Christmas O Hanukkah O Kwanzaa O Festivus O Other Tim, Christmas, although, Fanny May candies sent us a Hanukkah jar filled with chocolate coins as a replacement for the back ordered Christmas candies... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: O Tannenbaum ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh LIVE at The Bottom Line 12/20 Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 24 Dec 1997 18:49:35 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, I had the pleasure of hearing John Flansburgh sing live at The Bottom Line this past Saturday. Yay! The Bottom Line is a supper-cabaret club on West Fourth Street, one block from the big Tower Records in Greenwich Village. We went in and sat at these long tables up by the stage, and there were also tables in the back. I went with the lovely Shana Carter, aka RabidChild of the Musings Board. The stage was decorated with Christmassy stuff, and the performers came out through a faux hearth, which was appropriate and funny. Sean Altman, formerly of "Rockapella" was the host for an evening of a capella Christmas carols, featuring The Accidentals, Five O'clock Shadow, and the new re-worked Rockapella who now call themselves the "Groove Barbers," as well as other random singers as part of a benefit concert called "Holiday Harmonies." During the second set, Sean introduced Flansburgh as one of his "pop idols" from "They Might Be Giants." Flans came out wearing a sweater (the first time I've ever seen him perform in 100% wool), and was befuddled by the lack of a microphone stand. He then introduced "Careless Santa" as being from a compilation album, making no reference to Monopuff (??) and then Flansburgh, the Groove Barbers, and the guy who makes percussion sounds from Five O'clock Shadow sang an AWESOME version of Careless Santa. The song was well received by the crowd, and except for the fact that it had no instruments, it was true to the original arrangement. They obviously had worked real hard on this, and it seemed like Sean was just thrilled to be able to work with one of his pop idols. Shana was able to snap off two or three pictures, but we weren't able to make a recording, sorry. After the show, we were able to catch Flansburgh, and he signed our ticket stubs and we wished him a Merry Christmas and we shook his hand. Yay! It was fun to go hear all that great a capella music and of course, Flansburgh's final appearance for the year. Merry Hannukah and Happy Christmas, everyone! Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh LIVE at The Bottom Line 12/20 Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 24 Dec 1997 18:48:06 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, I had the pleasure of hearing John Flansburgh sing live at The Bottom Line this past Saturday. Yay! The Bottom Line is a supper-cabaret club on West Fourth Street, one block from the big Tower Records in Greenwich Village. We went in and sat at these long tables up by the stage, and there were also tables in the back. I went with the lovely Shana Carter, aka RabidChild of the Musings Board. The stage was decorated with Christmassy stuff, and the performers came out through a faux hearth, which was appropriate and funny. Sean Altman, formerly of "Rockapella" was the host for an evening of a capella Christmas carols, featuring The Accidentals, Five O'clock Shadow, and the new re-worked Rockapella who now call themselves the "Groove Barbers," as well as other random singers as part of a benefit concert called "Holiday Harmonies." During the second set, Sean introduced Flansburgh as one of his "pop idols" from "They Might Be Giants." Flans came out wearing a sweater (the first time I've ever seen him perform in 100% wool), and was befuddled by the lack of a microphone stand. He then introduced "Careless Santa" as being from a compilation album, making no reference to Monopuff (??) and then Flansburgh, the Groove Barbers, and the guy who makes percussion sounds from Five O'clock Shadow sang an AWESOME version of Careless Santa. The song was well received by the crowd, and except for the fact that it had no instruments, it was true to the original arrangement. They obviously had worked real hard on this, and it seemed like Sean was just thrilled to be able to work with one of his pop idols. Shana was able to snap off two or three pictures, but we weren't able to make a recording, sorry. After the show, we were able to catch Flansburgh, and he signed our ticket stubs and we wished him a Merry Christmas and we shook his hand. Yay! It was fun to go hear all that great a capella music and of course, Flansburgh's final appearance for the year. Merry Hannukah and Happy Christmas, everyone! Love, Rob Plass ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <530793f9.34a1e559@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:47:19 EST Subject: TMBG: Old Man Shirt Appearing in A Theater Near You!!!! Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I was watching my copy of the movie Hype!, y'know, the one about the supposed "Seattle Scene" when I noticed that Kurt Bloch of the Fastbacks was wearing the TMBG shirt with the old man and the T on the front, and with M B G on the back. Just thought that I should share with all ya' my theory that TMBG might be the secret behind the grunge explosion of a few years back. Graham P.S. I realize I might seem to be a complete loser for having this movie. But I'm not, I like all the bands on it. It's like nostalgia from my tormented middle school days (who says 15 is too young to have nostalgia?). ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:49:52 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG"Science Guy" Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) No, TMBG doesn't do the the theme song for Bill Nye The Science Guy. Though, it dos sound like them, sort of. Graham ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-358 ******************************