Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-36 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 36 Thursday, 6 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG Grace our Australian shores TMBG: BNL are wunnerful TMBG: Manahattan TMBG: Oz Tour Dates TMBG: unregister djfawcet@syr.edu TMBG: Ticket for Ypsilanti, MI show? TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! TMBG: Russ Josephson non-TMBG: Rush TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG TMBG: Web Post Card from mousegirl@usa.net Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Non-TMBG: Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG Totally Non-TMBG: I mean, this has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING TMBG: TMBG bootleg page TMBG: Duhh, lots of stuff. TMBG: Wingroov - registration TMBG: Ok, i dont have to feel guilty TMBG: sorry.... TMBG: double album question TMBG: IRVING SHOWS---- TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: Re: wingroove reg. (none) Re: TMBG: Common Likes Re: TMBG: Common Likes -long! TMBG: NOoO!! !NOT AGAIN!!! MOrE WINGROOV!! Re: TMBG: Ticket for Ypsilanti, MI show? Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG TMBG: Blither, Au Gratin TMBG: Retraction of Unimportance... Re: TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: Duplex Planet (that did the Hello CD) show Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970205105620.00b5489c@mail.healey.com.au> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 21:56:20 +1100 From: Very Fruity Indeed Subject: TMBG: TMBG Grace our Australian shores Hey hey hey hey!!!! > Finally we have dates for Their Australian tour in March. (In case > you missed the they are at http://www.tmbg.com/news/tour.html) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I looked on there last night and there was nothing, so I wasn't gunna bother for a while... But now that I've found this out, I'm off to by my tickets tomorrow!!! Yes, I'll buy 4 for the Saturday night show... I wanna go Sunday night too, but I have to find someone to go with... I'm thinking about the Canberra show too!!! YES!!! I cannot wait!!! Any idea how much the tix are? 30 bux? > I am disappointed that I will only get to one show (and that only > just) as they are not going to Hobart as they promised they would on > JJJ. But then it isn't surprising really...but I suppose I shouldn't > be greedy :) Ah, so are you going to the Melbourne show then? You live in Tasmania? I was actually thinking of flying somewhere else for another show aswell. That'd be fun fun fun!!! BYE!!! Ad. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% % Ad % %Yeah and stuff% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:20:11 +0000 (GMT) From: Simon Madine Subject: TMBG: BNL are wunnerful Message-ID: I'd like to say that I completely and utterly agree that Barenaked Ladies are a great band. I saw them in concert last year and they were hilarious. Try to see them if you get the chance. Just thought I'd say. Si (Still Dreamless) ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### |\______/| FROM \ / | (. .) | ______ Simon Madine |_______| / \ / _ _ \ | Moo? | Your friendly local | |_| |_| | \______/ \ ___ / ____| erm...well, Simon, really \_______/ "Me, I'd like to think that life is like a drink and I'm hoping that it tastes like bourbon" -The Wonderstuff, Size of a Cow ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: TMBG: Manahattan Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 13:10:52 +0000 () Now, here is an interesting thing that I'm a bit pleased with myself for noticing. In a story called 'a game of you' by Neil Gaiman (it's that great chap again)there ar HUGE tidal waves that threatnen manhattan and after all of this has happened the radio is playing 'night gown of the sullen moon'. I always wondered why until I realised that if they had played the next song on the album it would have been 'I'll sink Manahattan'. All very interesting. I like Neil Gaiman and he likes TMBG which is just great. It supports my theory that all the great things on this planet are somehow linked with each other. chrissy x ------------------------------ Date: 5 Feb 1997 14:25:17 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc1367$e436ff20$2dc76ccb@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Oz Tour Dates Hey fellow Ossies (that's how the Americans say it) tmbg.com has all the Australian tour dates. Anyone planning to attend the Brissie, Sydney or Canberra shows please email me. BTW I am so excited I wet my pants at work. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702051457.JAA26258@gamera.syr.edu> Subject: TMBG: unregister djfawcet@syr.edu Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:57:31 -0500 From: "\"\"Daniel J. Fawcett\"\"" unregister djfawcet@syr.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702051527.KAA28972@galaga.rs.itd.umich.edu> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 10:27:07 -0500 From: susan lyon Subject: TMBG: Ticket for Ypsilanti, MI show? Hi! Does anyone have an extra ticket for the show at Pease Auditorium in Ypsilanti, Michigan on whatever-date-it-is at whatever-time-it-is? I thought I'd ask here before trying other means of obtaining one (you know, violence, intimidation, bribery, etc.) Anyone know if the show is sold out? Take it easy, eh? susan * ------------------------------------- my other brain is also a porsche. mozzer@umich.edu the.statue@tmbg.org http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mozzer * ------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 00:18:18 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32f67fca.74949080@news.rpn.fullfeed.com> Organization: FullFeed Communications, ATW Subject: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! On 23 Jan 1997 21:03:01 -0500, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) wrote: > I was just looking around and i came up upon this program called >wingroove, which makes any normal soundcard sound like it has wavetable >synthesis (REALLY GOOD sounding midis) for windows, so i tried it on my TMBg >mids and they sounded good! if you're at all interested in it, go to: > WARNING! WARNING! Wingroove is very CPU intensive and will cause major bogs on most mid-level computers (P100 or so). I couldn't get it to work on mine, something wrong with the install, but I have seen it in action and it does sound much better. Just thought I'd save people on slo computers some online time... "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702051634.AA04441@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:34:05 -0500 (EST) > > On 23 Jan 1997 21:03:01 -0500, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) > wrote: > > > I was just looking around and i came up upon this program called > >wingroove, which makes any normal soundcard sound like it has wavetable > >synthesis (REALLY GOOD sounding midis) for windows, so i tried it on my TMBg > >mids and they sounded good! if you're at all interested in it, go to: > > > > WARNING! WARNING! Wingroove is very CPU intensive and will cause > major bogs on most mid-level computers (P100 or so). I couldn't get > it to work on mine, something wrong with the install, but I have seen > it in action and it does sound much better. Just thought I'd save > people on slo computers some online time... > Is this just for midi's or is it for waves and any sound files? As far as sound goes, layer 3 mp3's are the best, pretty much CD quality, excellent sound. They also are extremely small in size for the quality of the soundfile. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:59:14 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: TMBG: Russ Josephson Message-ID: Would someone please give me the email of Russ Josephson? Thanks, EKao <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> <>"Everything's nearer, <> <>Everything's clearer, <> <>Everything's so divine. <> <>I don't care what momma sez- <> <>Prince Nez I'm gonna make you mine" <> <>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<>--<> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:35:11 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Kinlin Subject: non-TMBG: Rush Message-ID: Microserf wrote: > With the mentioning of Canada, I could help but ask if there are any TMBG > fans that like Rush also from Canada? Well, I'm a TMBG fan that likes Rush. I haven't seen them in concert, but I have several of their albums. They do have a little similarity to Them, though far more steeped in science fiction. -Sean ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970205203255.00666d58@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 15:32:55 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG I've noticed a lot of posts making references to Them using certain words that are very . . . false. But who can blame them. In nearly every review I read about one of Their albums or songs, the writers use these same misleading terms. I have compiled a list below of all the words/phrases that I think should be dropped when referring to Them. These are in no particular order. 1) "quirky" (style) 2) "geeky" (style) 3) "childish" (lyrically) 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") 5) "one-hit wonders" (no clue) 6) "dorky" (style) 7) "simple" (lyrically) <> Obviously, this is just my opinion. Having read a lot of reviews and overheard numerous conversations about Them, I'm just sick of people stereotyping Them based on 1 or 2 songs they have heard or heard about. <> I am not trying to start a thread; just covey my thoughts and try to post something with at least some meaning to it. :) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:33:41 -0500 Message-Id: <199702052133.QAA11742@cgi.nando.net> From: mousegirl@usa.net Subject: TMBG: Web Post Card from mousegirl@usa.net * -------------------------------------------------- This e-mail was automatically sent to inform you of a Web post card that awaits you. It can be viewed by pointing your World Wide Web browser at: http://www.nando.net/toys/cyrano/ Keep in mind that Nando.net does not monitor the activities on the Cyrano Server, which was used to generate your post card, so view your post card at your own risk. You mail ID number is 251997163341.2 You will need this number to claim your message ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F8FFFD.730@toothfairy.com> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 16:47:41 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Another thing about Wingroov... the Shareware version cancells out after a mere 10 days! And the horrible thing about how it cancels is that it plays for about 5 seconds, and then pauses to tell you that you havent registered. Then it plays another 5 seconds, etc. This really sucks! -- +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | | loony and not be aware of it?" | | --Calvin | +---------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970204213958.006cef1c@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 16:56:04 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Barenaked Ladies I'd recommend that anyone who "has heard of them but not heard them" go out and hear them. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:19:01 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Wingroove- MAKES TMBG MIDS SOUND COOL! Message-ID: Wellllll..... I found thisinfo accidentally through yahoo trying to find the program itself, BUT..... For those of you who have had wingroov expire... go to setting, choose register, choose (got password from author another way) And use these two inputs. ZAAAAAAA BJG70109 And you'll be registered. (I take no responsibility for anyone who follows this advice and does it. :) ) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Kevin McGuire wrote: > Another thing about Wingroov... > > the Shareware version cancells out after a mere 10 days! > > And the horrible thing about how it cancels is that it plays for about 5 > seconds, and then pauses to tell you that you havent registered. Then > it plays another 5 seconds, etc. > > This really sucks! > -- > +--- Kevin McGuire ---------------------------------------------+ > | "Have you ever noticed how somebody can say something totally | > | loony and not be aware of it?" | > | --Calvin | > +---------------------------------------------------------------+ > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 22:16:51 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > I've noticed a lot of posts making references to Them > using certain words that are very . . . false. But > who can blame them. In nearly every review I read > about one of Their albums or songs, the writers use > these same misleading terms. I have compiled a list > below of all the words/phrases that I think should be > dropped when referring to Them. These are in no > particular order. > > 1) "quirky" (style) This one's true in the sense that by quirky you're implying that they are completly different stylistically to the more popular groups, It can be used in an almost affectionate manner to be honest. > 2) "geeky" (style) > 3) "childish" (lyrically) > 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") Never heard this one myself but I don't like it. > 5) "one-hit wonders" (no clue) This is true in Britain at any rate, seeing as Birdohouse was their only hit so, as such they are One-hit wonders. Think Babylon Zoo > 6) "dorky" (style) > 7) "simple" (lyrically) Definitely untrue, If people here the geeky/childish descripotions then they are likely to automatically assume that they;re simplistic. > There, my 2 pounds sterling ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970205171857.006987e0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 17:18:59 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Totally Non-TMBG: I mean, this has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING This message has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with TMBG, please delete if you wish... In the new issue of Next Generation magazine (#27) (http://www.next-generation.com ... it's about computer games) Anyway, in the letters section there is a letter from Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies. Neat. Anyhow, can someone tell me how to join the barenaked ladies mailing list (bedside manor?) Thanks. And why don't J&J write letters to magazines? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702052223.RAA10856@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:23:32 +0005 Subject: TMBG: TMBG bootleg page recently (about five minutes ago), I addeda wwwboard to the TMBG bootleg trader page. I encourage everyone to ask about bootlegs here, such as if they exist, if anyone has them, or to just ask any question related to TMBG and bootlegs, it's your call. whatever you can think of. anyways, you can get to it from the main page at http://tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org or go to http://w3.one.net/~dmhaas/tmbgboots.html/wwwboard/wwwboard.html either way, if you like what you see and use it, please add a reciprocal link back to http://tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32F8D4C6.1CC8@baka.com> Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 18:43:18 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: Duhh, lots of stuff. Hey, all. Wow, I haven't posted in ilke two weeks or something. I've ben here, but for some reason I've been too busy to do anything but lurk. Or too lazy. Or something. I dunno. Anyway, there's a bunch of topics I would like to adress. BNL/Rush: I love rush. Neal Peart is God. However, they sound nothing like TMBG, despite having similarly meaningful and cryptic lyrics. BNL: WHil nowhere near as big a fan of them as I am of rush, they sound much more like TMBG. And rule also. BTW, anyone from this list going to the BNL concert in Ithaca on the 16th? On to topics more TMBG-related. > I have compiled a list > below of all the words/phrases that I think should be > dropped when referring to Them. These are in no > particular order. > > 1) "quirky" (style) > 2) "geeky" (style) > 3) "childish" (lyrically) > 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") > 5) "one-hit wonders" (no clue) > 6) "dorky" (style) > 7) "simple" (lyrically) Yes. A couple others that should be added to the list "cute", "happy" "funny"(not that they can't be hilarious on occasion, but since they're depressing more often than funny...), and "crappy"(one quite common at my school). > I was listening to Cage & Aquarium or whatever it's called (I don't have the > case close by), and my friend came over. When she heard the line that goes > something like "It's the spawning of the cage and aquarium...." she just > started to laugh. After she regained the ability to speak, she told me that > she thought it said "It's the dawning of the age of Aquarius". I listened to > it again and it did. Was this intentional? Yup. I believe it's a reference to the musical "hair", although I could be wrong, not having been alive in the Sixties(or, luckily, the seventies). My mom said almost the exact same thing when she heard the song. Bye. -- "I'm the root of all that's evil, but you can call me cookie"-The Bloodhound Gang Jonah ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Wingroov - registration Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:43:25 -0600 Message-ID: <19970206004324056.AAA289@ppp187.baraboo.com> I too ran into the problem... and tried downloading it again but couldnt find the original site, so i searched, and the first page i found that had it ALSO had a registraytion number that always works. So , i used that, and this is illegal, but i coulnt regiater it anyway, so i didnt mind, but if anyone wants to know the numbers, ask me........ And if you dnt and want to flame me about it..... sorry...... -Wyatt ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Ok, i dont have to feel guilty Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:45:50 -0600 Message-ID: <19970206004549515.AAA301@ppp187.baraboo.com> I first sent that to one person, then the list, then nthis..... I should start reading all my mail before replies..... because not tim lloyd (i think) decided to give away the numbers i offered and made me feel stupid.... now, everyone, lets remember, KILL TIM THE ILLEGAL GUY hehehehehehehehehe duuuhhhhhh..... (stupid grunting noises) -Wyatt, who wont kill tim ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: sorry.... Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:47:04 -0600 Message-ID: <19970206004703371.AAA42@ppp187.baraboo.com> IO just said tim lloyd instead of tom hare, i was too lazy to press alt, down down down enter and take a look. Sorry, -Wyatt ------------------------------ From: CWLKNSN@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 19:39:28 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: double album question Message-id: <01IF2H661UDEQQOOJ4@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> Organization: West Virginia Network is the new double album (early years) gonna have the songs off the singles as well as the 19 new songs or just the albums and the 19 new songs??? mail me in private. no need to clutter the list... sam ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:12:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205200659_-1409268224@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: IRVING SHOWS---- I am going to EVERY IRVING PLAZA SHOW....... all who are going THIS friday EMAIL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna meet you's people's JORDAN ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:17:29 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Common Likes Um, should I be daring enough to say that if there is that one thing that ties us TMBG fans all together, it's what the rest of the world calls... geekiness? From what I have gathered by reading this list, and from hanging around others who are fans of TMBG, we are all very much alike in that the things and activities we find as fun are what are often embarassing to people who aren't like us. And to us, the things that these other people like are often seen as boring or corny. Or even stupid. However, these things are usually deemed "safe" to like, and nobody thinks they are weird if they like it. Also, they don't get totally into their "likes," just enough to enjoy them in their safe dosages. Geekiness then comes from two things: liking things that are considered dorky or embarassing to like by others; and liking them a lot. That is, we are big fans of our likes and we know of what we speak. Let's take Star Wars, for example. The average schmoe likes Star Wars, and thinks it's a great movie. However, the geek is REALLY into Star Wars, and can name you minor characters from each movie and what planets they're from. The more you know about one of your pet likes, the more geeky you become. The average rabid fans of say, Nirvana, don't know all that much about the band per se; maybe they just dig the music. But get a guy who can recite the history, name all the songs in order of release, etc... geekiness creeps in. And then we have to go and like the most obscure things. TMBG would've made a great example a long time ago (John and John aren't as obscure these days, but They're also not that generally accepted). But now we have things like, well, He-Man, whom we've loved since childhood. The rest of the world has forgotten the exploits of the Masters of the Universe, but I still remember Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, and Orko. Addendum here: the geek is not afraid to say, "Oh my God, did I just say those names like I remembered them??" Sadly, proud obsessions of obscure or embarassing subjects often makes us look like geeks. But we know that our love for our likes :-) makes us that much smarter, and that much more loving. How many of YOU can quote an entire episode of MST3K? That takes memory, intelligence, dedication, and love. Those people who just see things, like them, and then forget about them... they obviously have artificial passions, are stimulated only by immediate highs, and often look moronic when they can't recall some fact about their "likes." What? You don't know the name of the Buchmans' dog on Mad About You?? How can you even say that you're a fan?? And the non-geek answers, "I have a life." Ha, that's what YOU think! -- from LVJeff, very much into TMBG, R3K, The Simpsons, Disney, Star Wars, The Beatles, The Transformers, The Princess Bride, Mega Man, Robocop, Peanuts, The Bangles, Street Fighter, and more... (and I'll throw in the NBA and my very own Shooter Planet for good measure). ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: "20-20-24 hours ago, | Protected by Guan Yu | I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:58:52 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205204705_-1543195200@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: wingroove reg. Those wingroove reg. numbers were wrong... I tried both of them in both fields to no avail Did you type them wrong? Is their soemthing specific you are supposed to put in the "Name" field? E-mail privately if you want to, Wyatt... TMB(do)G or Miscellaneous Tim "Do you guys like country music? Of course you don't!" -TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Maria, Nick" Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:08:48 +1000 Speak for yourself, geek!! Only kidding :-)!! I don't fully agree, but the head of your hammer isn't far off the nail. ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:20:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205210029_540792382@emout26.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes First, off I'm not a geek, I'm a dork. Secondly, I think what your saying is horrible. Everybody knows a lot about one topic or another. For some people it may be knowing a lot about Star Wars or MST3K or Nirvana or TMBG, but even in the minds of so-called "Cool" people are a lot of worthless facts about other things like knowing who won every single world seris and stuff like that. Trust me, knowing when the date TMBG first recorded on or who won the sixteen world seris are both trivial. It just seems that knowing a lot of things about certain things (like TMBG) are called geekish, not the fact that one knows a lot of things. Finally, I know I'll get a lot of angry mail about this, but I dislike Star Wars (I do not use the hate, because i hate the word hate). "When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed." (Knows a "geekish" amount about Marilyn Manson and damn proud of it!!!) ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes -long! Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:23:00 -0600 Message-ID: <19970206022255913.AAA288@ppp187.baraboo.com> Wow! Everything you said there applied to me too! except i cant quote a whole episode of MST3K because i cant get the episodes, jsut the moive and i have seen a few... in fact, just today at school i was talking to one of the few poeple I almost think iisnt a total idiot, and used one big word, and one scentance that sounded long and complicated and some ditz said "hey you, i have a question. How do you know all this crap? what, do you sit there reading the dictionary at a tthe library all the time?" so i just said in the most steriotypicical (i think that was the word that made them act this way) voice, high, squeaky, and quiet, and said "yeesss, i reaadd the whoolle encyclopedia brittaninca and am half way through world book", very slow. I actually despise reading anything that isnt a good (usually science fiction) book. Like i'm reading Martian Chronicals right now. which brings me to more of WYATTS ADVENTURES IN HICKLAND: today in school, we had an early dismissal, and the hours got messed up length, so at the end of 5th hour, we got an extra 20 minutes to do anything, so i sat there readng, and a total ditz girl (one that copied every-other-word-for-word my friends science project, failed) said "Why are you reading?" (the class is all ditzes and jocks) so all i could think of was "because you are all just talking about crap, and i am sick of it" and kept on reading... good book.... the rest of this much too long messgae is not in order correctly, oops > Um, should I be daring enough to say that if there is that one thing >that ties us TMBG fans all together, it's what the rest of the world >calls... geekiness? > > From what I have gathered by reading this list, and from hanging >around others who are fans of TMBG, we are all very much alike in that the >things and activities we find as fun are what are often embarassing to >people who aren't like us. And to us, the things that these other people >like are often seen as boring or corny. Or even stupid. However, these >things are usually deemed "safe" to like, and nobody thinks they are weird >if they like it. Also, they don't get totally into their "likes," just >enough to enjoy them in their safe dosages. Well, this is definatly true.. i live in such a commercialized hick-land where if you are not wearing something from WAL-MART you are out of style and stupid, so, i wear all my tmbg shirts, and after poeple stop and take about 30 seconds to read the big letters (theyre so stuupiiidd) then say the name slowly, i luagh as they say "thats queer, your dumb" and go along, satisfied, to class. I think the thing is they are not popular, and to be liked in my town(and i belive most of the country) you have to go along, mindlessly, into whats popular. Not once have i heard a bad word or opinion besides "theyre cool" about someone REALLY POPULAR. > Geekiness then comes from two things: liking things that are >considered dorky or embarassing to like by others; and liking them a lot. >That is, we are big fans of our likes and we know of what we speak. Let's >take Star Wars, for example. The average schmoe likes Star Wars, and just about star wars, i was ahuge fan for a long time, then, withing the last 2 years, they became a popular thing, and peopel say "YEAH!! I LOVE STARWARS" and i ask them a slightly hard question and they fail... pathetically >thinks it's a great movie. However, the geek is REALLY into Star Wars, and >can name you minor characters from each movie and what planets they're >from. The more you know about one of your pet likes, the more geeky you >become. The average rabid fans of say, Nirvana, don't know all that much >about the band per se; maybe they just dig the music. But get a guy who >can recite the history, name all the songs in order of release, etc... >geekiness creeps in. Yup, thats it, i always feel differet, like i dont fit in at aLL in school or anywhere in public, which is why i have few friends and one of them is nearly 5 years older than me.... there are very few of us that actually act this way... considered geeks... because we have opinions > And then we have to go and like the most obscure things. TMBG >would've made a great example a long time ago (John and John aren't as >obscure these days, but They're also not that generally accepted). But now >we have things like, well, He-Man, whom we've loved since childhood. The >rest of the world has forgotten the exploits of the Masters of the >Universe, but I still remember Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, and Orko. Addendum >here: the geek is not afraid to say, "Oh my God, did I just say those names >like I remembered them??" Cool, i love he-man because my mom worked at filmation back when they made new episodes of that show (befoore the company was bought out tand the pathetic new adventures came out) > > Sadly, proud obsessions of obscure or embarassing subjects often makes >us look like geeks. But we know that our love for our likes :-) makes us >that much smarter, and that much more loving. How many of YOU can quote an >entire episode of MST3K? That takes memory, intelligence, dedication, and >love. Those people who just see things, like them, and then forget about >them... they obviously have artificial passions, are stimulated only by >immediate highs, and often look moronic when they can't recall some fact >about their "likes." What? You don't know the name of the Buchmans' dog >on Mad About You?? How can you even say that you're a fan?? > > And the non-geek answers, "I have a life." Ha, that's what YOU think! uh huh... > > >-- from LVJeff, very much into TMBG, R3K, The Simpsons, Disney, Star Wars, >The Beatles, The Transformers, The Princess Bride, Mega Man, Robocop, >Peanuts, The Bangles, Street Fighter, and more... (and I'll throw in the >NBA and my very own Shooter Planet for good measure). > GO LVJEFF!!!!!!!!! >========================___________________________________________... . . . >| from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: "20-20-24 hours ago, >| Protected by Guan Yu | I'm going east of Eden." >| alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones >======================== "I wanna be sedated." > > > -Wyatt, who would have had nothing to write about had he not lived in a tiny hick town. PS, sorry bout the wingrrove posts :) ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: NOoO!! !NOT AGAIN!!! MOrE WINGROOV!! Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:25:01 -0600 Message-ID: <19970206022455665.AAA275@ppp187.baraboo.com> once i though i had it finished.. ok, well, because it looks like more poeple dont mind this than i thought, heres the correct registration, from where i got it: Registering To register, install the program, start WinGroove Player, click settings, wingroove settings, register and click the lowest option. click ok and enter these data: Password: ZAAAAAAA USER ID: BJG70109 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 21:51 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Ticket for Ypsilanti, MI show? > >Hi! Does anyone have an extra ticket for the show at Pease Auditorium >in Ypsilanti, Michigan on whatever-date-it-is at whatever-time-it-is? (Kirsten starts to cry at the injustice of this concert being on a WEDNESDAY night) *sniff* *sniff* Is anyone taping it? I'll offer my firstborn for a copy. Either that or something else even better. (who wants a baby, anyway?) Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 5 Feb 97 21:55 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG > 1) "quirky" (style) *sigh* As much as this word of description is overused in reference to our favorite Twin Quasars of Rock, you have to admit that is *does* describe some of their work, especially stuff on the Pink Album. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702060411.WAA17754@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Blither, Au Gratin Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 21:43:20 -0600 As my curiousity waxed, I downloaded this magical Wingroove and a few TMBG midis to see what the fuss was about. I really can't tell any difference in sound. Do I have to screw with it to get this wonderful experience? BTW, I got the numbers to work... Oh, and for the discussion of things us TMBG fans like (I noticed the Simpsons in an earlier letter... good deal!), I'd like to mention Douglas Adams, writer supreme!! My happiest days were when a) He e-mailed me! and b) When his secretary/assistant responded to a fan letter my friend and I sent! (my friend kept the unique, autographed picture though.. boo hoo! :( oh.. also when I got a stupid letter printed up in WIZARD: THE GUIDE TO COMICS!!! This occured the same month as the e-mail a couple years back.. Sorry.. I'm gushing now. My prosthetic forehead is coming unglued... Mike "You jive, turkey! See, you got to SASS it! Quit JIVING me, TURKEY! A turkey is a bad person!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702060449.WAA18597@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Retraction of Unimportance... Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 22:43:45 -0600 oops... no, I didn't get the wingroove thing to work... I thought I did though, but it still shows the registry thingermabob.. Mike "I'm no freaking liar" Leffel ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:14:38 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205225516_-2044730754@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes i too have never seen Star wars and dont plan too. and i agree with mr.happyfoot. also, i skateboard, and in my school it is considered extremely NON geeky. no matter what someone likes, they will always know a bunch of useless trivia about it. and only if what the person likes is geeky (have you ever been to the saved by the bell trivia room?), then that could be considered...um...geeky. bye. ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:40:50 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970205233542_882161362@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Duplex Planet (that did the Hello CD) show Hello 41- I know this isn't much warning, but Duplex Planet, those guys that did that cool Haloween CD in '94 is doing a story telling/concert in St. Petersberg on this Friday. Tickets are $8 for students and $10 otherwise. I know that I'm going and if anyone else in Central Florida needs a ride, I'd be willing to within reason. Please E mail me. Adam ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-36 *****************************