Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-363 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 363 Tuesday, 30 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses TMBG: whirlpool, lincoln TMBG: Whirly New Year Re: NON TMBG: Lincoln Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Re: TMBG: off - the leffel list, hee hee heeeee Re: TMBG: whirlpool, lincoln Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19971229072901.20631.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Happy Enchilada" Subject: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:29:01 PST Yeah, I saw the Lincoln CD the other week at Border's, and it was placed in one of those listening booths guess next to what CD? Factpry Showroom. Prolly because they know fanatical TMBG fans will see it and snag it. Which brings me to another point that I ownder whether anyone agress with me on. People on this list may like to think they diverge from the masses in musical tastes, but isn't it rather sad that half the people who like tmbg also like BNL and BF5 and Moxy Fruvous and so on? I liked BNL and Ben Folds before I ever realised half of tmbg fans online do too, and if anything, its such a big turnoff now.. makes me want to cringe and pretend like I don't like them, becuase it seems like a lot of tmbg fans get their musical tastes from liking only tmbg and then liking what all other tmbg fans like. You know, Lincoln is really no more ingenious or novel than all these other tongue in cheek alternative aka rock bands, only they are a little less bland than some. Jo ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971229025020.006a5b7c@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 02:50:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Hmmmmm...I have a feeling this'll be a pretty hotly debated issue. Since being on this list, I've been introduced to BNL, Lincoln, Mono Puff, Moxy Fruvous, XTC, and the Young Fresh Fellows...I hadn't heard any of these bands before the list, and I consider myself to be big fans of theirs now. I think the reason we tend to like the same bands is because we have the same taste in music, not because we're trying to emulate each other. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a pretty dorky guy, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to emulate me. ;) I admit that I probably wouldn't be listening to these bands if not for the recommendation from other TMBG fans, but I think it's a little silly to say that the only reason we're listening to them is to try to fit in. Also, I can't understand why you would pretend not to like a band just because someone else also admires them. (shrugs) I think it's great when I find other people with similar tastes, but to each their own, I suppose. TTYL, -Adam At 11:29 PM 12/28/97 PST, you wrote: >Yeah, I saw the Lincoln CD the other week at Border's, and it was placed >in one of those listening booths guess next to what CD? Factpry >Showroom. Prolly because they know fanatical TMBG fans will >see it and snag it. Which brings me to another point that I ownder >whether anyone agress with me on. People on this list may like to think >they diverge from the masses in musical tastes, but isn't it rather sad >that half the people who like tmbg also like BNL and BF5 and Moxy >Fruvous and so on? I liked BNL and Ben Folds before I ever realised >half of tmbg fans online do too, and if anything, its such a big turnoff >now.. makes me want to cringe and pretend like I don't like them, >becuase it seems like a lot of tmbg fans get their musical tastes from >liking only tmbg and then liking what all other tmbg fans like. You >know, Lincoln is really no more ingenious or novel than all these other >tongue in cheek alternative aka rock bands, only they are a little less >bland than some. > >Jo > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <40ba5e0a.34a7849b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 06:08:09 EST Subject: TMBG: whirlpool, lincoln Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) >I just was struck by a revelation today. Linnell does NOT sing Whirlpool. Flans >does. > I somehow deduced that by realizing that it's AWFULLY hard to sing while blowing >on a >baritone sax. Well they can over dub. I figured out that half of the song is Linnell and the other is Flans.. THough I can't recall which parts. >I was browsing the listening stations >above the CD's and guess what was there? (you probably don't have to >guess since the answer's in my subject line but i'll tell you anyway...) >Lincoln's CD!!!... isn't that cool? Maybe this will help these guys get >a little radio airplay... > Neeeeato!:) "Blow" has been one of the current test-tracks here on WBER.... I think it's doing well, yay! I got my Lincoln cd for xmas and can't stop listening to it. "Taller" is on right now. :):) >P.S. It's 7a.m. and I've been up all night so I probably hallucinated >everything mentioned above... oh well, that's what too many Flintstones >vitamins will do to yo head... > Hah, it's 6 am now and I've been up.. But I didn't have any Flinstones vitamins. But I wish I did. I like the red ones. Mmm.. :9 sarah! http://lava.home.ml.org "even though i diss you, i still wanna kiss you, i love you and i miss you, and i wish that you were dead." -- lincoln ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971229072325.006a0c94@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 07:23:25 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Whirly New Year Vlad said: >I just was struck by a revelation today. Linnell does NOT sing Whirlpool. Flans does. > I somehow deduced that by realizing that it's AWFULLY hard to sing while blowing on a >baritone sax. I think Flans sings the first verse, and Linnell sings the second. Don't know about the sax though. Anyhow, Happy New Year, everybody! --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:01:37 -0600 (CST) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Lincoln Message-ID: Speaking of this, I was at Borders Books and Music last week and I saw the following all in one listening station: TMBG: Factory Showroom Lincoln Barenaked Ladies (their 1992 CD) A couple other folk guys who suck. But I about had a heart attack. I was so happy that I could listen to Lincoln finally, though, and I bought it after immediately realizing it was good from "Sucker". Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:05:11 -0600 (CST) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Message-ID: I came up with an opinion about this mailing list thing a while ago. That is that we are possibly some of the most dedicated fans in the country. We have others to quickly relay news to and from and we have all kinds of resources available to us, like listening to unreleased MP3s. Imagine living in a non-computer household with no other closeby TMBG fans. You'd be stuck listening to John Henry and Flood only. I wonder if that's what the rest of the world is like because they don't have others to help them find what they want. This is a little off the subject, but the last message kind of cought my attention. Brandon ------------------------------ From: ForScience Message-ID: Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:52:40 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-29 13:07:11 EST, jackyl@the-b.org writes: << Imagine living in a non-computer household with no other closeby TMBG fans. You'd be stuck listening to John Henry and Flood only. >> Yep. I live in a crappy town in texas and had never even TALKED to another tmbg fan until i got my computer a year ago! I can find albums here, but not things Ive gotten since like Why Does the Sun Shine, Istanbul single etc......i also would have missed their show in tx, like i ususally do, if i hadnt seen someone mention it!!!! (: amber ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <569095bd.34a7f1f3@aol.com> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:54:41 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) Okay. So far this doesn't actually seem to be such a hotly debated issue. It could be that people are just ignoring it so it doesn't turn into a big long string of unnecessary insults, but I'm sure it wouldn't come to that. People are probably just off somewhere for the holidays anyway. Okay, now the point. I don't think that "people on the list" like to think they're special at all. You're on the list, yes? I, for one, listen to what I like. I don't like BNL all that much, and therefore don't listen to them. I do listen to Pain, a band which was recommended to me by a very cool TMBG listener who is also on this list. In fact... I wouldn't even be listening to TMBG if it weren't for my best friend singing them all the time in the 7th grade and annoying me to death. Perhaps it was just me trying to be like him when I decided that I "liked" them. But I doubt it. Everything I'd listened to up until that point had been so my brother and his friends would like me. After that, though, I got into TMBG and went on from there, and what a wonderful trip it's been. So. My point is that I don't follow anybody. I think many people who respond to this subject, if any more do, will TRUTHFULLY say the same for themselves. Chad "We listen to whatever they heck we want to" MacFadd Or you can call me Carey... or you can call me Al. Hey, I listened to Paul Simon before so many other people ever did. I'm special. P.S. Any and all spelling or gramatical errors are exclusively the fault of America On-Line, Dial America, any other such connected businesses, and their staff. At 11:29 PM 12/28/97 PST, you wrote: >...Which brings me to another point that I ownder >whether anyone agress with me on. People on this list may like to think >they diverge from the masses in musical tastes, but isn't it rather sad >that half the people who like tmbg also like BNL and BF5 and Moxy >Fruvous and so on? I liked BNL and Ben Folds before I ever realised >half of tmbg fans online do too, and if anything, its such a big turnoff >now.. makes me want to cringe and pretend like I don't like them, >becuase it seems like a lot of tmbg fans get their musical tastes from >liking only tmbg and then liking what all other tmbg fans like. You >know, Lincoln is really no more ingenious or novel than all these other >tongue in cheek alternative aka rock bands, only they are a little less >bland than some. > >Jo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 12:59:49 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199712291859.MAA14287@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: off - the leffel list, hee hee heeeee >I just was struck by a revelation today. Linnell does NOT sing Whirlpool. Flans does. > I somehow deduced that by realizing that it's AWFULLY hard to sing while blowing on a >baritone sax. Actually they both sing on it. One sings on the first verse, one sings on the second verse. Often music is recorded track by track, ie they would record Linnell singing and then record his saxophone separately. No mystery there. Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8odzalW00WB=09S5g0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 14:27:45 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: whirlpool, lincoln Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Dec-97 TMBG: whirlpool, lincoln by KdsInThHal@aol.com > Well they can over dub. I figured out that half of the song is Linnell and the > > other is Flans.. THough I can't recall which parts. the first half is Flans, the second is Linnell. also, on that recording, they had Kurt Hoffman on sax and Frank London on trumpet. of course, there are at least three horn parts (I think 2 saxes and a trumpet) when they played it in concert at a couple of shows in December, 1995, they had the Velcro Horns doing their part, and for the first half, Linnell played the baritone sax while Flans sang, and during the second half while Linnell was singing, Graham covered his sax part on bass. It sounded pretty cool. just for the record, some other songs where Linnell plays sax and sings at the same time are Turn Around, Shoehorn with Teeth (actually, he does *all* the parts in that - sax, clarinet, and accordion), Cage & Aquarium, and (She was a) Hotel Detective... to name a few... (I'm sure there are others) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 29 Dec 97 16:45 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses People on this list may like to think >they diverge from the masses in musical tastes, but isn't it rather sad >that half the people who like tmbg also like BNL and BF5 and Moxy >Fruvous and so on? I wouldn't say so. I mean, we like TMBG because they're out of the norm. Why is it sad that we like other bands that are also out of the norm? I've been introduced to a lot of great bands through this list, because I figure if someone has good taste and likes TMBG, I might also like some of the other groups they recommend. Perhaps some of us are more interested in good music than in trying to be non-conformist. Kirsten -- "That's the official rock thing, to speak for a generation, and since we've completely failed to do that, we're willing to speak for ourselves." - John Flansburgh, TMBG. *kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu*Kirsten Brodbeck*AKA Crow* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-363 ******************************