Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-364 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 364 Wednesday, 31 December 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: the so-called masses Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-363 TMBG: Lincoln the band Re: TMBG: Lincoln the band TMBG: Sean Altman on TMBG TMBG: Re: The conceit of the TMBG list Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:59:22 EST Subject: TMBG: the so-called masses Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) well, i've got to just say that I hate BNL & BF5...I've listenened to a couple of their songs & I just don't like them... I've got to say that when someone mentions a band on a list, usually all the others that like that band speak up & say "hey, me too!" & a few check out the bands & think "hey! i like that" or "hey! that sucks!" but i believe this is truely a very small minority & isn't quite "the masses." most people have their opinions about things pretty well set in their minds & probably won't change much...good example of this, i thought BNL sucked before i heard them being talked about on the list & i still do. well, what i'm trying to say is that you won't change people's opinions, maybe you'll introduce them to a band that they like but never heard of, but, whew! ok, i'm not going to post anymore about this....my first & last post on the subject.....hopefully...... jason "mr. hankey, the christmas poop" glastetter ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:31:57 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Following the TMBG masses Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) I really want to ignore this thread because just thinking about it gives me a headache. But it's all about my bands. :) So. Me input! Me input! Just don't let me try to make a point. I'm a "rabid" fan of 2 bands equally. TMBG and Barenaked Ladies. They share everything in my head 50/50. So I do like many other bands after hearing about them on the BNL newsgroup (mostly canadian ones) but a lot of times they overlap (BF5, Moxy Fruvous). In fact I hardly listen to my TMBG and BNL cd's as much as I used to because of my ever growing cd collection (but that does NOT mean in any way that I like them any less!). I really don't think we're copying each other. I think, ok, I think we are programmed this way . We just have the same tastes in music (well we all like tMBG don't we?) And we look for the same things in bands. Not necessarily the same things as in TMBG, but I mean the same things overall. Whatever those things are, I don't know. We just all have pretty much the same taste. But if anyone wants to copy me, go to a BNL concert and buy Kevin Hearn's solo cd it is SO good. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "There was fresh butter meltin', on a waffle.. the sky was so blue that the clouds felt awful" ~ Kevin Hearn ------------------------------ From: Yellovinki Message-ID: Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:55:06 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-363 Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) For the record I had heard of Moxy Fruvous and BNL long before I heard of TMBG. Living in Canada I have been exposed to many bands that many down south have never heard of. I don't neccesarily like them (outside of "King of Spain" MF hasn't floated my boat, and BNL hasn't been any good after Gordon- but their first EP was brilliant) My tastes do diverge in many ways from the norm not just to be different but to be me. I also like some more popular music as well- Smashing Pumpkins etc.- because I enjoy them, not to be cool. ("Being cool you'll find is a state of mind, a refreshing attitude, when tings get hot and cool is all you got..."). Yours in Herring, Doctor K. ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199712302337.PAA13724@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 18:37:46 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Lincoln the band Where do you people find these C.D.s by Lincoln? I've looked everywhere with no avail... Is anyone on this list a Pocket Monsters fan? Does anyone play Rifts? I, being a watcher of Nickelodeon, have found another reference to Them. One of the episodes of Rugrats is called "Destination Moon". Coincidence, prolly. I also found a reference on the Simpsons (surprise). Homer was an autorail driver and a sticker on the auto car fell off. Behind the sticker was another one that read "64 worlds fair" Freak Boy, Marvin, Paranoid Android ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971230184217.006a63a4@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 18:42:17 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Lincoln the band At 06:37 PM 12/30/97 -0500, you wrote: > Where do you people find these C.D.s by Lincoln? I've looked >everywhere with no avail... It's in print, so even if a store doesn't have it in stock, they ought to be able to order it for you. When I bought it, it was in the Misc. L section... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Sean Altman on TMBG Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 30 Dec 1997 18:50:08 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, I found this interesting tidbit at Sean Altman's (formerly of Rockapella) website: http://www.bigsean.com/oldquest.shtml is the URL: Dear Sean: Do you ever listen to They Might Be Giants, Barenaked Ladies or Moxy Fruvous? Sincerely, Sonia Libby Dear Sonia: They Might Be Giants is one of my fave bands. One of the two Johns, Linnell, was in a Providence new-wave outfit called The Mundanes while I was at Brown, and I recall seeing them play at a frat party. I still own that band's 45-rpm single, which is probably worth lots to some TMBG fan (yes, I'll sell). The other John, Flansburgh, is an occasional Loser's Lounge performer, and we've chatted amiably. I've been to ten TMBG concerts and I own all their albums. "Birdhouse In Your Soul" is one of my fave pop tunes of all time. TMBG contributed a song to Carmen Sandiego: Out of This World, an album I co-produced. I've read lots of great things about Barenaked Ladies, and have heard a few songs, but I own none of their albums. I own all of Moxy Fruvous' albums, I've been to three of their concerts, and I admire them very much. Love, Sean Wow! What's up with the 45 single from Linnell? I never heard of it, does anyone actually have it? Anyway, the connection between Sean and TMBG is that he and Flans sang "Careless Santa" in an a capella version two Saturdays ago (see one of my previous posts for a review). Happy New Year everyone, please don't drink and drive! Just drink. Love, Robert Plass Operations Manager and Webmaster Schick Technologies, Inc. 31-00 47th Avenue Long Island City, NY 11101 Phone: 718-937-5765 ext.214 FAX: 718-937-5962 Toll Free: 1-888-4-SCHICK NASDAQ Ticker Symbol: SCHK Website: http://www.schicktech.com ------------------------------ From: Vandal191 Message-ID: Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:32:21 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: The conceit of the TMBG list Organization: AOL (http://www.aol.com) In a message dated 97-12-30 02:09:39 EST, Monotreme3 wrote: << Okay. So far this doesn't actually seem to be such a hotly debated issue. It could be that people are just ignoring it so it doesn't turn into a big long string of unnecessary insults, but I'm sure it wouldn't come to that. People are probably just off somewhere for the holidays anyway. Okay, now the point. I don't think that "people on the list" like to think they're special at all. You're on the list, yes? I, for one, listen to what I like. I don't like BNL all that much, and therefore don't listen to them. I do listen to Pain, a band which was recommended to me by a very cool TMBG listener who is also on this list. In fact... I wouldn't even be listening to TMBG if it weren't for my best friend singing them all the time in the 7th grade and annoying me to death. Perhaps it was just me trying to be like him when I decided that I "liked" them. But I doubt it. Everything I'd listened to up until that point had been so my brother and his friends would like me. After that, though, I got into TMBG and went on from there, and what a wonderful trip it's been. So. My point is that I don't follow anybody. I think many people who respond to this subject, if any more do, will TRUTHFULLY say the same for themselves. Chad "We listen to whatever they heck we want to" MacFadd Or you can call me Carey... or you can call me Al. Hey, I listened to Paul Simon before so many other people ever did. I'm special. >> I just picked up George Carlin's 1990 CD "Parental Advisory Explicit Lyrics" and all this brings to mind for me is Carlin saying "The more serious a group takes itself, the easier and more fun it is to make fun of them." ~Moose ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-364 ******************************