Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-37 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 37 Friday, 7 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dougie Adams TMBG: Re: Which describes how THEY sound to music reviewers TMBG: star wars, QUirkiness!! TMBG: Re: Oz Tour Dates TMBG: Ypsilanti Re: Non-TMBG: Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Re: Which describes how THEY sound to music reviewers TMBG: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy TMBG: Geeks/registration/"gay" Re: TMBG: Who sings Older? Who wrote Older? TMBG: Tmbg References TMBG: TMBG on Idiot's Delight - any one else hear it? Re: TMBG: Geeks/registration/"gay" Re: TMBG: Freak Flag Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG Re:TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg TMBG: Another dream (Don't kill me..) Re: TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: MailWave! TMBG: Re: 7 words you can't say about TMBG TMBG: Goodbye, sorta TMBG: missing ending to wttotw Re: TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: Ditzes and They Re: TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: Re: Common Likes Re:TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg TMBG: On this whole geek/non-geek thread TMBG: addendum (sorry) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-35, most specifically, C&H TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-35 TMBG: on the geek thread TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy Re: Non-TMBG: Wyatt's Adventures in HICKLAND Re: TMBG: Common Likes TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 06:11:31 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Dougie Adams Message-ID: Hey all, I've been lurking for a while, not having time to actually *read* the list, but oh well. Kirsten, I'm here for ya. Let's combine our powers and try to get a bootleg of the Ypsi show, since I can't go either... Douglas Adams is my fave author. PRincess Bride and Holy Grail, Star Wars, Mighty Max ("Virgil! Norman!"), Clockwork Orange, and all the fun stuff in my .sig are good things to me. I shall be finding a rock to tie to my beltloop this summer. They are all covered with snow, ice, or mud right now. The joys of middle-lower Michigan in the middle of a January thaw. (I want SNOW, lots and lots of SNOW. Give me some SNOW.) ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ From: C M Stanger Subject: TMBG: Re: Which describes how THEY sound to music reviewers Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:20:18 +0000 () On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 18:43:18 +0000 Jonah wrote: > > > > 1) "quirky" (style) > > 2) "geeky" (style) > > 3) "childish" (lyrically) > > 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") > > 5) "one-hit wonders" (no clue) > > 6) "dorky" (style) > > 7) "simple" (lyrically) > Yes. A couple others that should be added to the list "cute", "happy" "funny"(not > that they can't be hilarious on occasion, but since they're depressing more often > than funny...), and "crappy"(one quite common at my school). > > Words people always seem to use when talking about tmbg are 'Who?' and ' Didn't they do birdhouse a few years back?' I find the way music is described drives me mad. It's like 'now I've heard the music, I'm now going to catergorize it' (I think the same thing happens when someone talks to you for the first time by asking what music you like). Most of the music I like gets described as 'modern rock/pop combo' but so long as none of it (especially TMBG) ever gets described as 'zany' or 'Wacky' then I'll be happy. 'Quirky' is bad enough. Do Cbegany chrissy x ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702061349.AA24516@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 08:40:16 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: star wars, QUirkiness!! >i too have never seen Star wars and dont plan too. Any reason why? Just asking because you are missing one of the 5 great experiences in the history of the modern world. Star Wars (unlike things such as, say, Jurassic Park, Independence Day) is popular because *it is actually good.* This is very rare, and you should find such amazing instances as much as possible. But if you don't see it...*shrug*...all the more for me!! 2nd, Mega Man...I noticed someone had the blue wonder in their sig, & i just wanted to mention how much I loooooooove mega man! Mega Man 2 is the best, but he's so much fun through the whole series...can't miss it. & finally, some TMBG. According to the webster's new world dictionary, the meaning of the word quirky that is used to pertain to tmbg is prolly 'quirk: 3. a witticism.' In general, this term works for Them. They have a bunch of wit in Their lyrics. However, I think more is attached to the word 'quirky' that might not be so good. Often, something quirky is thought of as silly, simple, & not worth serious study. In this case, tmbg is so much more, and quirky just doesn't do them justice because although their lyrics tend to be witty & cryptic even, they are so much more interesting & lasting than almost anything else in pop culture. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:09:40 +0800 From: Jason Hutchens Message-ID: Organization: The University of Western Australia Subject: TMBG: Re: Oz Tour Dates Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!! They're coming to Perth!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I'm soooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Note to American readers: Perth is the most isolated city in the world and not many bands visit, especially not for one small gig. I was going to fly to Sydney to see them (which is like going from NY to SF)*, but I was most happy to find they would be coming to my own town. I am really excited because I have been a fan for 6 years but haven't seen them play live. Heheheheheeeeee!!!!!! -- * Not quite, but that's the general ballpark. J. -- ***********************|Mssrs. Jason L. Hutchens, esq.|*********************** * AMIGA/E/MUI/TMBG/IF/PSX/ALAN/WWW/JAVA mailto://hutch@ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au * * Me/Spy/HeX/MegaHAL/Bertha/Humour/Info http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~hutch/ * ****************|PhD Student ~~ Procrastinator Extraordinaire|**************** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:21:55 -0500 (EST) From: "Amy ;)" Subject: TMBG: Ypsilanti Message-ID: Hello fellow fans, I'm resurfacing to ask information! I have been reading all about the Ypsilanti show, and clueless me just kinda ignored the whole convo till today when I realized "Hey! Ypsilanti is close to me! I could go to that show!!" And I plan to do just that, if someone would be kind enough to tell me 1) if there are tickets left and 2) if there are, how I can order some? I'd really appreciate anything you can tell me. Also, planning ahead here...I intend to go see Them when They come back to Ohio in April, to Kenyon College. Anyone go to kenyon or know someone who does? I wonder if this is going to be another one of those "you have to know someone at the school to go to the concert" deals. Come to think of it, is the EMU concert that way? Yikes, I hope not. I haven't seen Them for 2 months! Withdrawal!!! :) Amy :) cowtown@tmbg.org If I don't have some insanity soon, I'll go mad! --Ashleigh Brilliant ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:17:13 -0600 (CST) From: Juliet Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Barenaked Ladies Message-id: I saw BNL in concert here not to long ago.\ Needless to say, THEY ROCKED!!!! They Might Be Giants *AND* Barenaked Ladies concerts- all in one year!! =) Now if they'd just tour together and come back to Memphis... =) A Dedicated TMBG and BNL fan, Supreme High Empress Helen =) "Thought we both could use a friend to run to. And I thought I wouldn't have to keep- with you- hiding." -Tori Amos, "Hey Jupiter" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 07:31:24 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Which describes how THEY sound to music reviewers >> > 1) "quirky" (style) etc (I'll spare your) How do people feel about "whimsical" as a descriptor? It seems to combine both elements of funny (which They obviously can be) and arbitrariness (as in the exquisite corpse lyrical experiments), with a tinge of wry sadness. I just read the Guitar World article. Even when giving good advice, Flans can't help but crack a pun. When talking about about the dangers of electrical shock on stage, he makes reference to "fear of frying". (ref: Erica Jong's book 'Fear of Flying') -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:59:08 -0600 (CST) From: hotdog Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy Message-id: > Also: non-TMBG related, but why didn't Chewbacca (or the 'droids for that > matter) get a medal at the end of Star Wars? i can understand the > 'droids (not being human and all) but for Christ sakes, Chebacca did just > as much as anyone. Couldn't they morph a stupid medal on him. Jeez. > Maybe they could have had Forrest Gump give it to him. > That is all. > (skid@oceancounty.lib.nj.us) They never received medals in any version of the movie althought they do in the book and radio transcript. just thought I'd add that in. nate | Nathan | Poet, Computer whiz, and trumpet player extrordinaire. "hotdog" | All round nice guy. Hiller | cool rad fly dudical | ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702061707.MAA15220@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 12:09:39 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Geeks/registration/"gay" Heya. Really quickly: 1) We're geeks. There's no way around it. We program the computers, we run the companies, and "THEY" (cool people?) go to high-school football games and reminisce about how great it was when they were the second-string nose tackle... Wave that freak flag, people. 2) I like cracked software as much as the next person, but all this registration code business can get us in a _heap_ o' trouble. Let's keep it to private mail. (suddenly feeling 10 years older) 3) Can you call someone "gay" (like in Kelley's example) and feel good about it? I'm (whine, whine) a hetero guy and that term even makes me extremely uncomfortable. Has that term stayed around in our smaller towns? I'm interested... Where I am (5 min. from NYC in northern Jersey) you could probably be sued for calling someone "gay," however you meant it. That's the extent of my rantage. Has anyone started organizing a meeting (or 2 or 3) of listies at the Irving Plaza shows? Maybe we could all use our psychic energy to induce J&J to play "Lincoln" from start to finish... -tom (could do at least 10 MST3K episodes from memory. <- geek.) Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:05:35 -0500 (EST) From: Ellen Kao Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings Older? Who wrote Older? Message-ID: On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > > > Unrelatedly, who thinks we should boot Eric and put Flans back where he > >belongs, as lead guitarist of They Might Be Giants, the band he > co-founded??? > > I agree with you here. Kick Eric out! > -- This is sort of unrelated...sitting in Art history 221 today during roll call, I realised there is an Eric Schermmerhorn in my class =) He seems to have lost the hair though and aquired the body shape of Frank Black =) Ellen Mimi =) ~~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~ "A man is but a monkey with a crown." -Steve Forbert ~~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~**~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:13:02 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: TMBG: Tmbg References Message-ID: I can't even believe what I heard yesterday. I was watching Singled Out (yeah, it's really stupid, I was just wasting time, besides, you know you do it too) and they were playing one of their little games. This one involved something about a guy dressed up like a bird. When the game was over, the host (I can't remember his name) said "Make a little birdhouse in your soul." What do you think? "I said no camels! That's five camels! Can't you count?!" -Indiana Jones ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:13:36 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970206124318_-1509557068@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG on Idiot's Delight - any one else hear it? Hey guys! :) Wow, I'm awfully shocked! TMBG were on Vin Scala(someone please help me with the spelling)'s "Idiot's Delight" a few days ago (was it sunday?), as you may know. Well, a very nice NJ friend taped it for me, and I got it in the mail today. Did anyone else hear it? Was it sunday for sure (just so I know when labeling it)? And should I be ashamed that I didn't know Flans did an episode of Space Ghost when they were last in Atlanta? :0 No Linnell cause he missed the plane! I hope this episode didn't air yet.. I believe it's on Fridays at 11pm? ooh.. Set yer vcrs, just in case . This is a great interview for anyone desiring a copy. :) They do a Truth or Sandwiches medley, hee hee, that's funny. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 11:17:27 Subject: Re: TMBG: Geeks/registration/"gay" > 1) We're geeks. There's no way around it. We program the > computers, we run the companies, and "THEY" (cool people?) go to > > high-school football games and reminisce about how great it was > when they were the second-string nose tackle... Wave that freak > flag, > people. Y'all heard the man. I proudly let my flag fly, to hell with these hick-town yuppie bastards. > 3) Can you call someone "gay" Who called who gay? What? What did I miss? mouse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:50:02 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Freak Flag Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 mousegirl@usa.net wrote: ** when they were the second-string nose tackle... Wave that freak ** flag, people. Just wanted to point out something that my sister said one day while we were listening to Sleeping in the Flowers. "Why doesn't he want to be known as 'the freak who just comes around to catch her eye?' I thought he wanted to raise his freak flag?" Damn logical arguments... :) RS ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 11:28:34 Subject: Re: TMBG: 7 words you can't say about TMBG I have compiled a list > below of all the words/phrases that I think should be > dropped when referring to Them. Oh, god, do I agree. > 1) "quirky" (style) I too am sick of the Q word. Hell, my mom used it to describe them. > 2) "geeky" (style) Well...have you never LOOKED at them? They are geeky. In a highly attractive way, but still geeky. > 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") Do a lot of people think either one is gay? (Besides my homophobic 20 year old brother. We have fights about this all the time.) > 6) "dorky" (style) > 7) "simple" (lyrically) How totally inobservant of whoever described TMBG lyrics as such. TMBG lyrics are about as simple as any of Einstein's theories. > <> I am not trying to start a thread; just > convey my thoughts and try to post something with > at least some meaning to it. :) gee. Well, this is perfect thread fodder. catch ya later, mouse ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 01:53:49 UT From: "PANACHE4U Kathy" Message-Id: Subject: Re:TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg Wubba said... >I'd like to say something about this. I too think that the translator >stuff is really stupid. And maybe those people who posted about it >are >idiots. That dosen't mean everyone on the list is bad. You're gonna >leave >the list just cause of a few dumb posts. There are stupid people >everywhere. (I know, I deal with them everyday.) What are you >going to do, "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people." -The Refreshments Anyone else here like the Refreshments? How bout Cake? Ryan47 the .sigless wonder ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 13:26:30 Subject: TMBG: Another dream (Don't kill me..) Hi listies!! Well, I had several dreams about them again. It was a series of "dream vignettes" if you will. So buckle y'all's seatbelts. The first one was quite normal in plot but not true to my life. I was working in a coffee shop by my house and John, John, Brian, and Jim came in. I was their waitress. I got them coffee (cream no sugar for Flans, black with sugar for Linnell, and I don't remember the other two.) Then somebody asked me if I could find Penn Square Mall. I asked "What would you want to go there for?" (I think it was Flans.) He said, "Well, to shop." "Well, Penn Square is a place to shop," I said. I sat there for, like, 3 hours and talked to them about all kinds of stuff. Flans didn't cuss once and was witty, charming, and well behaved. Brian was goofy and bouncing off the walls. Too much coffee. Jim never said a word, just drank his coffee and watched us. (BTW Jim's a cutie.:) ) And Linnell was polite and witty. Then I woke up. #2 was a little strange. I was in math class and the lecture kept drag- ging on and on and...someone tapped me on the neck with a pencil eraser. I turned around and it was Linnell. (Could someone tell me why I dream about Linnell so much? It's driving me nuts.) I don't remember the rest. #3 was the "concert in my back yard" dream. My back yard was cleaned up and festooned with lights. My mother kept telling me that they weren't coming, why did I allow myself to buy into this little fantasy? Next thing you know 50 people were in my back yard and They were on my back patio playing 'Particle Man". Then Flans started playing "Stump the Band". Their rendition of "Punk Rock Girl" was bitchin'! And that's all folks. mouse PS- The MouseWorld page is up and runing. That's http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/towers/2900 Also, you can send for my zine of the same name. Go to the page to get more info. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 17:20:15 -0500 (EST) From: "Megan Bainbridge (PNR)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes Message-ID: AMEN BROTHER, YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD, AND I COULDN'T QUOTE ONE DAMN THING FROM STAR WARS, BUT YA KNOW WHAT? I CAN QUOTE THE ENTIRE MOVIE BILLY MADISON AND LISTEN TO ALL THE TMBG CD'S PROGRAMMED TO SHUFFLE IN MY STEREO UNTIL THEY BEGIN TO DEPICT MY LIFE AND THAT, MY FRIEND, IS PURE, IN-DEPTH, BEAUTIFUL, GEEKY, UNPOLLUTED, ABSTRACT, WONDER THAT SOME FOOTBALL-PLAYING, WIFE BEATING, ASS-HEAD WHO'S CHARMING HIS BRAIN-LESS TEACHERS FOR THAT 4.8 GPA COULDN'T EVEN DREAM OF UNDERSTANDING, MUCH LESS BE. LONG LIVE THE GEEKS LIFE'S JUST A MOOD RING WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE--TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FA679C.2D6F@nethawk.com> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 18:22:05 -0500 From: Jason Finn <1128@nethawk.com> Subject: TMBG: MailWave! I'm just startin' with this whole tempestous free-for-all, and figgered I'd toss out a big, giant wave to all the people I've never met. In text form, of course. I'm not exactly sure what I can donate to the general storehouse of insanity, and I'm only here 'cause, generally, I find the people who listen to this stuff very agreeable to my kaleidoscope of a world view. No matter how generalizative that sounds. Um, well, that's about it, nothing much to add. Wave back if you're looking in my direction. Jason "I'll make a .sig file later" Finn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 05:07:18 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F9D786.3A4F@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: 7 words you can't say about TMBG Kelley Kent wrote: > > > 1) "quirky" (style) > 2) "geeky" (style) > 3) "childish" (lyrically) > 4) "gay" (as in "Duh, aren't They gay?") > 5) "one-hit wonders" (no clue) > 6) "dorky" (style) > 7) "simple" (lyrically) > This is the worst part: in Elektra's TMBG press kit, they use some of these terms to describe them (ie "geeky") however, TMBG has stated that they don't like to be refered to as that. Well, what can we do?, Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:32:34 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Goodbye, sorta Message-ID: I will be digesting from now on. I got a job with a local broadcasting company, supposedly part-time. That part-time is a nice little 80 hours a week. That, with the time I spend with my girlfriend doesn't leave much time for sleep, eating, or reading tmbg-list. I'll still be around, so if y'all want a question answered or something, I'll be at my normal e-mail addys. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "If god had wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs?"--Marvin Kitman ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 05:22:01 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32F9DAF9.6BDD@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: missing ending to wttotw hey all, I think that the origional recording just had the When Tornadoes take over the world, and they decided to take it off.. The computer probably took a sec when they were making the wav and hence the problem. The version I taped off DAS for the tape I'm working on, and the Lofi experience version both have nothing extra. But I may be wrong... Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970207004843.0066e7b8@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 19:48:43 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes At 05:20 PM 2/6/97 Megan Bainbridge wrote: . . . >AND THAT, MY FRIEND, IS PURE, IN-DEPTH, BEAUTIFUL, >GEEKY, UNPOLLUTED, ABSTRACT, WONDER THAT SOME FOOTBALL-PLAYING, >WIFE BEATING, ASS-HEAD WHO'S CHARMING HIS BRAIN-LESS TEACHERS >FOR THAT 4.8 GPA COULDN'T EVEN DREAM OF UNDERSTANDING, MUCH >LESS BE. > LONG LIVE THE GEEKS Look, I agree that They fans may be a bit geeky (and darn PROUD of it!), but the anger in this post really threw me for loop. I mean, come on, take a chill pill, will ya? This is NOT a Revenge of the Nerds movie, where it's the Tri-Delts on one side and the sex-crazed jocks on the other. Just because someone dislikes TMBG does not mean I hate them, dislike them, wish to feed them to the jackals, flush their head down a toilet, etc, etc. But more importantly, I do not resent them for it. And yes, yes, I know this post hardly reflects They fans in general. I'm just stating that there is more on this planet than just TMBG fans and "ass-heads." :) Kelley kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) P.S. And to Ms. Bainbridge - #1) don't shout, we're standing right here! #2) Billy Madison was a BAD movie. :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 20:01:16 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Ditzes and They Message-ID: Hey/hay, Wyatt wrote a very interesting and thoughtful letter about the ditzes and jocks in his school. I'm throwing one on the fire. History class the week before exams. Teacher says, "I thought that instead of haviong the 120 question multiple-choice final that the other teachers are giving, you might want to make up three essay questions of your own right now and answer them exam day. You can write them before hand and them copy them onto new paper if you like." Three silly, stupid girls who have no right bein in an Honors American History class: "So you mean we have to *write????*" 'Nother one, same class. Teacher:"Hey, even though your next exams are five months away, I'm giving you your assignment now. How about you read _The Grapes of Wrath_ and no a three page book report on it? Or you can trace the origin of a family recipe back to the Depression and do a report on that. You can do a written report on the evolution of musical theater in America since 1930. Pretty much whatever you want." 3 girls:" How long is the book?" Teacher:"About 600 pages or so." Girls: "600 pages? There's no way we can read 600 pages in 5 months!!!" Now, I am a fast reader, no bones about it. But I read a 1,000 page book in under a week. If I can do that AND still have a social life, they can certainly read a 600 page book in 5 months. Ridiculous! This DOES relate to Them... none of the aforementioned ditzes have any taste in music and are all immature and disrespectful. They hate anyone slightly different from themselves or who has independent thoughts, which puts me right out of that league. They HATE TMBG and BNL and MST3K and Willow and Princess Bride, reading, intelligent things that require thought, individuality, and above all, looking, talking, thinking, or acting different from their clones. Stupid.... Now, can you see the problem with the conditioning our young are getting? (I'm glad I resisted.) ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 20:34 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes Just because >someone dislikes TMBG does not mean I hate them, dislike them, >wish to feed them to the jackals, flush their head down a >toilet, etc, etc. But more importantly, I do not resent them >for it. Agreed. I'm more inclined to feel a little *sorry* for non-TMBG fans than anything else. I mean, we all *know* Giant-heads are a superior breed. It's just too bad that the rest of the world hasn't caught on. ;) Kirsten (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 17:50:15 -0800 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Re: Common Likes Sorry, following post only marginally related to TMBG, because of subject matter: Happyfroot wrote: >Secondly, I think what your saying is horrible. Everybody knows a lot about >one topic or another. For some people it may be knowing a lot about Star Wars >or MST3K or Nirvana or TMBG, but even in the minds of so-called "Cool" people >are a lot of worthless facts about other things like knowing who won every >single world seris and stuff like that. and from Jordan1c: >also, i skateboard, and in my school it is considered extremely >NON geeky. no matter what someone likes, they will always know a bunch of >useless trivia about it. The message I wrote was already getting long, so I omitted a certain point, but I guess I'll bring it up here: I think about the only things a person can know a lot about and get away with looking non-geeky are physical activities... e.g. sports. I mentioned being a fan of the NBA, and that's when I realized nobody would call me a "geek" for knowing who won all the NBA championships or for knowing what team each current player belongs to. The thing that bothers me is that, aside from sports and things deemed mainstream by the public, knowing miniscule detail about a subject makes people look at you funny. Declaring your love for a subject makes people think you're weird faster than it makes people think you're passionate. I think a lot of people are predisposed to dislike, and that's what's really too bad. Even if one doesn't know a lot about something, if one hears it mentioned it registers as something "worthless" before it registers as something "cool." This may be the biggest difference between a regular person and a passionate (geeky?) person. I have hung around people who see something and go, "Cool!", as well as people who see something and go, "That's stupid." I'd rather be with the first group, and that group of people is more liable to be labeled with the term "geek." And, remember, what you know about your object of passion is never "trivia" to you. It's what you love. If someone knows trivia about a few things, that person knows a small percentage of what experts on those subjects know. And if that subject is the slightest bit off-center, that person could, sadly, easily be called geeky. ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Personal mondegreen: "20-20-24 hours ago, | Protected by Guan Yu | I'm going east of Eden." | alecson@ucla.edu | I Wanna Be Sedated, by The Ramones ======================== "I wanna be sedated." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:10:17 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re:TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, PANACHE4U Kathy wrote: > Wubba said... > > >I'd like to say something about this. I too think that the translator > >stuff is really stupid. And maybe those people who posted about it >are > >idiots. That dosen't mean everyone on the list is bad. You're gonna >leave > >the list just cause of a few dumb posts. There are stupid people > >everywhere. (I know, I deal with them everyday.) What are you >going to do, > "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people." > -The Refreshments > > Anyone else here like the Refreshments? > How bout Cake? > > > Ryan47 > the .sigless wonder > Mm... cake & refreshments. Makes me hungry. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:33:05 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: On this whole geek/non-geek thread Message-ID: Whoa! I just want to say that this whole geek thread is kind of misguided. First, I should state that I fall under the definition of geek under most possible definitions for the word. That being said, I think that many people on this list put too much faith in the idea of being a TMBG fan. There seems to be all kinds of ludicrous correlations being hypothesized here. I think that They fans are a more diverse group than most people think. Knowing that someone like TMBG gives you information about their music tastes and very little else. Most likely, there are TMBG fans who are smart, dumb, rich, poor, geeky, normal, individualistic, conformist, immature, liberal, conservative, athletic, attractive, ugly, overachieving, underachieving, etc. You get the point. Dumb? There are many people out their who come up with the most narrow-minded or ridiculous interpretations of songs. In short, it sounds kind of stupid in my opinion. And if it's stupid in my opinion, then either the opinion really is stupid or maybe I'm stupid. In either case, something's stupid. Normal? Well, I'm willing to bet that not everyone on this list is a freak. Conformist? Why not? After all, it's "cool" to listen to music that is not popular. Or at least it's usually considered lame to listen to popular music. Hence, conformist thinking growing out of individualism. Conservative? Unlikely since They music is pretty liberal. But still, some songs have themes which can be construed as insulting extreme liberalism. And besides, there was someone who posted a while back about how swearing was bad. He was probably conservative (not that I'm saying that's horrible or anything). Some criticisms: Many many many people like Star Wars, so it's hardly significant as a common interest. Similarly, I can't tell you how many people I've met who love the Princess Bride. Ditto for Douglas Adams. A lot of these common interests are just natural coincidences, like the two people on the list who like He-Man. This is likely to occur since most of the things that are "common interests" have larger followings than TMBG. But I guess it's always neat to meet people who have many of the same interests. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Some odd statements have been made recently. Someone said something about how we, the geeks, are so awesome because we write the computer programs and run the companies. I don't know about you other geeks out there, but I for one am never going to be programming the computers or running any companies, nor do I want to. And I don't understand why these things are considered qualities. Also, people have been implying that people who don't like TMBG are closed minded and "don't get it." Come on! People just have different tastes. There's nothing I hate more than elitism, and musical elitism has to be the worst. I've met people who think that only people who listen to indy rock are cool. I've met Phish phans who believe that Phish people are "special" people and everyone else just doesn't get it. I've met people who think that anything other than classical music is stupid. As Giants fans, we know these statements are absurd, so there's no reason why any of us should feel pompous about our music, but rather just be prepared to justify why we love Them. e.g. just because you don't like rap doesn't mean you should totally insult it. And then there was the recent SHOUTING message. As someone else pointed out, it seemed a bit angry and Billy Madison is not some amazing movie. But what I took personal offense to was the asshead schmoozing his brainless teachers for a 4.8 GPA- hello? What does that have to do with anything? I just want to point out that I love TMBG and hated many of my teachers, and in turn, most of them hated me. Well, I didn't explain this very well, but I just needed to get it off my chest. Maybe some of you think I'm totally wrong, and maybe I am. So, I think we should stop saying fans, we should stop saying things like, "As a TMBG fan, I would think that you would... (blah blah blah)" The only opinion that I have about all of you out on the list is this- You have damn fine taste in music! That's why I subscribe. (this is not to say that we should only talk about music) Well, back to lurking, Dan * ------------------------------------ Dan Lee dalee@fas.harvard.edu a018205t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us 3-3724 Pennypacker 36 "There's a place for those who love poetry. It's just across from the sign that says, "Pros only." -TMBG "I suck at math." -almost everyone at some time in life ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:36:20 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: addendum (sorry) Message-ID: Oh, I just want to make it clear that in my last post I was only addressing a fraction of the people on this list. * ------------------------------------ Dan Lee dalee@fas.harvard.edu a018205t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us 3-3724 Pennypacker 36 "There's a place for those who love poetry. It's just across from the sign that says, "Pros only." -TMBG "I suck at math." -almost everyone at some time in life ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:49:07 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-35, most specifically, C&H Message-ID: Hey/hay, Ha! Thrice in a day! I think this is a record for the lurking-type such as myself. This is regarding one of yesterday's posts by nicole the wonder nerd about SIMILAR TASTES. (BTW, did anyone else watch the Jeopardy teen tourney today with many tribbles? Why did I just think of this?) Calvin and Hobbes are my all-time favorite comics ever. In my hometown they got replaced by Dilbert, which isn't bad, but it's not great. I have the last C&H strip ever printed in papers hanging on my bedroom door (12-31-95). Quite good timing that it happened to be a Sunday strip. Now, how to relate this to TMBG.... hmmmm..... Any ideas? Then why are you here? You're doing a very good job. Oh! If a C&H cartoon show was ever made, which it won't be, it should have Birdhouse as the theme music. Or maybe Evil Twin. Oh! Space Suit! YEAH!!!!!!!!! All RIIIIIIGHTTTT!!!! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:47:31 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: I was thinking. I don't think Eric is necessary either, I am not anti-Eric but I would prefer him not play with TMBG. I was wondering how people who don't approve of Eric react to him at concerts. For example, with the number of fans who seem anti-Eric I would think there would almost be booing when he is intro'd at a concert. I guess I would maybe not cheer for him at IP to make a statement but I dunno...again, I am not really anti-eric...just interested in what people think... Josh josh@fyi.net http://www.fyi.net/~josh/irc.html EFnet #TMBG Home Page ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:01:55 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-35 Message-ID: Hey/hay, I really shoudl read my digests more often than I do. I mean, four posts in a day from some one who lurks most of the time is RIDICULOUS... But ther was a post almost all the way to the bottom about a tape of a show in MI. *That was the one I was at!!!!* OH MY LORD!!! I didn't think anyone else was there that had connexions to the list in any way! It was very funny hearing JF mess up NYC- we all got a kick out of that. Anyway, whoever posted that PLEASE get in contact w/ me as I would like a copy of that tape! I was close enough to the stage that JF, when attempting to adjust the speaker stack, almost pushed it onto my head (my one claim to fame). BTW, if any of you were wondering, it was in WhereHouse Records in October, I think. Grand River Ave. in East Lansing. I'll never forget it.... and I shall fondly recall being six inches away from JL when they walked by us to leave on the 19, when Kirsten and I should be going to the Ypsi show, but due to many factors neither of us can ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:02:02 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: on the geek thread Message-ID: Hey guys-- Now, I don't know what it is with this whole "We like TMBG, and thus everyone who doesn't like TMBG sucks" bit. If we're geeks, we're geeks. But the simple fact is that there are geeks everywhere. There are geeks that like Pantera, geeks that like Yanni, geeks that like the Toasters, geeks that like TLC, and so on. It's just music, folks. That's all. I admit that music is a major part of my life, but it doesn't fix my attitudes toward other people. It's just music... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "I hate rock 'n roll / I hate it 'cause it fucks with my soul..." --Jesus and Mary Chain ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 03:50:10 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32faa574.90484527@news.rpn.fullfeed.com> Organization: FullFeed Communications, ATW Subject: TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy On 6 Feb 1997 11:03:11 -0500, unjhiller@LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU (hotdog) wrote: >> Also: non-TMBG related, but why didn't Chewbacca (or the 'droids for that >> matter) get a medal at the end of Star Wars? i can understand the >> 'droids (not being human and all) but for Christ sakes, Chebacca did just >> as much as anyone. Couldn't they morph a stupid medal on him. Jeez. > >They never received medals in any version of the movie althought they do >in the book and radio transcript. Well, watch the endof the first on again... Han & Luke get medals for making the Death Star go BOOM! "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 03:49:55 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32faa3bb.90042706@news.rpn.fullfeed.com> Organization: FullFeed Communications, ATW Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Wyatt's Adventures in HICKLAND On 5 Feb 1997 21:23:11 -0500, wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) wrote: >in fact, just today at school JOY!> > > i was talking to one of the few poeple I almost think iisnt a total >idiot, and used one big word, and one scentance that sounded long and >complicated and some ditz said "hey you, i have a question. How do you know >all this crap? what, do you sit there reading the dictionary at a tthe >library all the time?" so i just said in the most steriotypicical (i think >that was the word that made them act this way) voice, high, squeaky, and >quiet, and said "yeesss, i reaadd the whoolle encyclopedia brittaninca >and am half way through world book", very slow. I actually despise reading >anything that isnt a good (usually science fiction) book. Like i'm reading >Martian Chronicals right now. which brings me to more of WYATTS ADVENTURES >IN HICKLAND: I used to get questions like that all the time. Eloquence is a lost art... You think you've got it bad in Baraboo? I'm from Berlin (look on a map-it's the little dot in the NE corner of Green Lake Cty). 99 & 54/100% of Berlin is Hick or Wigger/Doper. My favorite story: I overheard a couple of rednecks talking about their trucks. One sys to the other: "Weeall, ya know, Ah think Ah'm a-gonna mount a wench on mah truck purty soon." I think he meant winch, but I'm not certain.... "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 03:49:45 GMT From: sfkoch@mail.rpn.fullfeed.com (Thor) Message-ID: <32faa0e6.89317845@news.rpn.fullfeed.com> Organization: FullFeed Communications, ATW Subject: Re: TMBG: Common Likes On 6 Feb 1997 17:20:13 -0500, mbainbri@helios.acomp.usf.edu (Megan Bainbridge PNR) wrote: My reply is probably falme bait, but this was such a strong post I felt compelled to put in my $.02 > > AMEN BROTHER, YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD, AND I COULDN'T QUOTE ONE DAMN >THING FROM STAR WARS, BUT YA KNOW WHAT? A friend of mine meet four people who hadn't seen Star Wars. He referred to them as "Un-American Communists." And I can't beleive there's anyone out there who doesn't know "May the Force Be With You" > I CAN QUOTE THE ENTIRE MOVIE BILLY >MADISON AND LISTEN TO ALL THE TMBG CD'S PROGRAMMED TO SHUFFLE IN MY STEREO >UNTIL THEY BEGIN TO DEPICT MY LIFE I personally can't stand Adam Sandler, but that's just me. I'll refrain from knocking him. Also, I wish I had a CD changer.... > AND THAT, MY FRIEND, IS PURE, IN-DEPTH, >BEAUTIFUL, GEEKY, UNPOLLUTED, ABSTRACT, WONDER THAT SOME FOOTBALL-PLAYING, >WIFE BEATING, ASS-HEAD WHO'S CHARMING HIS BRAIN-LESS TEACHERS FOR THAT >4.8 GPA COULDN'T EVEN DREAM OF UNDERSTANDING, MUCH LESS BE. > LONG LIVE THE GEEKS I play football (not for the school this year, tho...). I like to think I'm not an "ass-head", and I wouldn't beat my wife even if I had one. GPA - 4.27 and earning it! (Most of my teachers are brainless, but not all... ) I'm sure your post was very stress relieving and theraputical, mine certainly was. And now for the TMBG tie in- Do you listen to TMBG just because it's different and not what everyone else listens too, or because it's good music, or both? Recommendation..... Use your CD player to just repeat Birdhouse in your Soul" and some other happy TMBG songs until you cool down. "In this business, reality can be pretty hard to come by!" - The Tick ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702070423.WAA04866@hp-165.cae.wisc.edu> Subject: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 22:23:51 CST From: Aaron Kohlbeck Hello! Listen: I think this whole geek thing is getting out of hand. People think that we are geeks because we enjoy something they don't. So what. The thing that is kind of bothering me is I am seeing a lot of negativity towards the people who classify us as geeks. IMHO, this makes us no better than the people calling us geeks. BTW, the only movie I can quote in full is "Strange Brew". Great flick. Go rent it. Listen: I know most of the Eric S. debate has come and gone, but I wanted to say something before, but could not find the info to back up what I wanted to say. But I found it, so here is what I have to say. If you go to tmbg.com, and go to news and then the tour info, it says, and I quote, "Look out for TMBG's most rocking show yet, with a five-piece line up featuring internationally reviled rock guitarist Eric Schermerhorn..." Now, is it just me, or isn't reviled usually used in a bad way? Just what are TMBG trying to say about Eric? Listen: Dreams are also being discussed on another list I am on. Weird. Except they are all about the A-Team. Anyway, a few weeks ago I had this TMBG dream. I was at one of their shows here in Madison. It wasn't at the Barrymore (the usual place) but some little bar that was kind of a composite of all the bars I have been to. So TMBG were playing on this stage that was about chest high at the front of the bar and there were only about 20 people there. So naturally I was at the front. They decided to take a break and were just walking around the stage. One of Flans' picks was within reach, so I went to grab it. The weird thing about these picks were they were HUGE. I mean as big as my fist. Anyway, Flans sees this and comes over and asks me if I wanted one. I said yes, so he gave me one, but said I had to play the guitar from the floor to get it. So he held on to it and I strummed it when They started up again. Things were going cool, until some people came storming into the bar. They stopped playing and Flans looked at me and said "Run!" I asked where. He said, "Backstage!" So we all went backstage and I asked Flans what was going on and he said, "They're after us!". Linnell was hiding to, but he didn't say anything. I asked why those guys were after Them and Flans said something about the bad guys wanting them and that is all I can remember. I also had a dream that ended with some gunshots turning into the intro from Istanbul, but that was because it was in my stereo to wake me up. And so on. Aaron, who is reading "Breakfast of Champions" again. Go read it. -- Aaron Kohlbeck kohlbeck@cae.wisc.edu http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~kohlbeck Parse error? I'll parse your error you stupid machine! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 23:59:17 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Josh wrote: ** I was thinking. I don't think Eric is necessary either, I am not ** anti-Eric but I would prefer him not play with TMBG. You know, I think I shall revise my theory. Instead of kicking Eric out of the band (figuratively), we should figure out how to use him! Ok, so TMBG should. Whatever. As I said, I liked somewhere near half of his playing quite a bit, but the other half, I really did not enjoy. Not only do I not think it was very good, I think it might as well not have been there. I wish they'd added something more progressive for the studio cuts, like accordion solos or something. Then this would be the 'Cool Accordion Solos' record instead of the 'Infamous Schermerhorn Incident' record. Or a mix of some other change and Eric's good solos. Clearly, the man is fast, and he has a lot of talent. The problem is deciding when to use him and when not to. I really liked his intro to Istanbul at Etown, and was unhappy that I didn't hear it in Cleveland. He can do some really great work, but he needs to remember to keep _melody_ in it. I don't enjoy random, fast playing of strings. I like to hear _music_ coming out of the guitar, not just noise. I have always loved the fact that TMBG has very strong melodies. Eric does not in half of his TMBG work, and has great work on the other half. Cut out half, and I'd be insanely happy. ** I was wondering how people who don't approve of Eric react to him at ** concerts. For example, with the number of fans who seem anti-Eric I would ** think there would almost be booing when he is intro'd at a concert. I ** guess I would maybe not cheer for him at IP to make a statement but I ** dunno...again, I am not really anti-eric...just interested in what people ** think... Whoa...! Do you intend to imply what you come close to implying? Just because I don't agree with Eric's playing style, I would boo him? Please, separate the man and his actions! Just because _I believe_ that some (or even if it was all) of his guitar work does not sound good, does not make him a bad person. Even if he had just learned how to play guitar 2 weeks before recording the album and I thought his solos sounded distracting and jarring, I probably wouldn't boo him. Refrain from applauding? Yes. Again, perhaps you would like to phrase things a bit more carefully. Do you really intend to suggest that I 'don't approve of Eric?' I may not approve of some of his playing, but do you mean to imply do I disapprove of him as a person? You may not have intended any of this! I just wanted to check. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:47:55 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream At 10:23 PM -0600 2/6/97, Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: >Listen: > I know most of the Eric S. debate has come and gone, but I wanted >to say something before, but could not find the info to back up what I >wanted to say. But I found it, so here is what I have to say. If you go >to tmbg.com, and go to news and then the tour info, it says, and I quote, >"Look out for TMBG's most rocking show yet, with a five-piece line up >featuring internationally reviled rock guitarist Eric Schermerhorn..." >Now, is it just me, or isn't reviled usually used in a bad way? Just >what are TMBG trying to say about Eric? Yes, but with They one never knows. As an example, the between song patter at one show I saw where they talk about 'disappointing audiences everywhere'. It's as if they know they've disappointed some people by not playing [name your favorite song] or by putting Eric in the line-up, but they're willing to live with the consequences - and so should we, I guess. Still on my dream quest, ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-37 *****************************