Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-38 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 38 Saturday, 8 February 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: FMSINGLES???? TMBG: Holy quirky OMLT birthday bitches, batman! TMBG: Perfect night TMBG: Birthday TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-37 TMBG: Geek Re: TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy Non-TMBG: Refreshments, Cake Re: TMBG: Geek TMBG: Boo? Naawww... TMBG: GEEK!!! Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: Re: Spawning of the Cage and Aquarium. not to mention... TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream TMBG: Pics for tmbg.org!! Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Fwd: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: My Tape of _Lincoln_: ERROR!!! Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-37 Non-TMBG: Bagel Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: re:eric/ip shows/ whatta jerk! TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream TMBG: Wilma, hold ma knife! Gotta post on the internet! Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows RE: TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg Re: TMBG: My Tape of _Lincoln_: ERROR!!! Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: Pardon My Ignorance TMBG: TMBG CARTOON.. how I ache for it so. TMBG: They on Irvingplaza.com Re: TMBG: Wilma, hold ma knife! Gotta post on the internet! Re: TMBG: Ok, i dont have to feel guilty Re: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: Idiot Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows TMBG: Interview TMBG: *yawn* different stuff. TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 04:03:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970206225322_1660751334@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: FMSINGLES???? A few hours ago, I went to FMsingles.com and looked up They Might Be Giants. I found a couple of things I was going to buy. I just went back and typed in They Might Be Giants. It said: Unable to find nothing. Better luck next time. Not only are they using bad grammar, the TMBG stuff disappeared!! Can anyone help? Giantly, Dan E. Boy ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 06:07:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970207001205_1479670421@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Holy quirky OMLT birthday bitches, batman! 1. Thank you to everyone who mailed to say happy birthday :) 2. I don't remember seeing this posted, so the OMLT design deadline has been extanded through the 10th. Make those designs NOW!!! 3. Here's what Mr. Webster has to say about this silly debate: Quirky, adj. Having, or full of, quirks. (no kidding... um, well, let's backtrack) Quirk, n. 1. a peculiarity in action, behavior, or personality; mannerism 2. (unrelated) And, furthermore: Peculiar, adj. 1. strange, odd, eccentric 2. Uncommon or unusual 3. distinguished in character or nature from others 4. extraordinary, singular, exceptional, distinctive, unique It isn't so much the word itself which is offensive, it's the way it is used. Since most reviwers who use the "q-word" about TMBG aren't using it in a particularly flattering way, it has aquired a bad reputation. But I consider it a compliment, even if it was not meant as such. Would anyone here not acknowledge that TMBG is a bit off the beaten path? Could anyone here deny that They are "uncommon or unusual"? And shouldn't we be proud that They are "distinguished from others" rather than bleating members of the mainstream? TMBG does not fit neatly into a descriptive slot, so reviewers have continued to fall back on the q-word for lack of a better label. It has become a synonym for "what the hell is this crap?" Well, to hell with them! I am taking back the word "quirky." It belongs to the fans now, who love Them precisely because they are different. To us, TMBG should always be quirky in the best sense of the word-- odd and eccentric, maybe, but definitely distinctive and always extraordinary. Ahh. That was... cathartic. :) Ultimately, I think "quirky" is like "bitch." It's okay for me to tell you that I'm feeling bitchy today. However, YOU are not allowed to tell me that. Similarly, TMBG fans are allowed to say that TMBG is quirky, but (in a perfect world) writers would not be allowed to use this word in reviews. Be creative, damn you! There are plenty of ways to review TMBG without leaning on the Q-crutch. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:40:10 +0000 (GMT) From: Simon Madine Subject: TMBG: Perfect night Message-ID: A random statement here but who cares? My suggestion for the perfect night: Go make a pot of real coffee(definitely not instant), in fact, make several and leave them around your room with the lids off so the entire place gets filled with the smell; move your bed so it is facing out of the window; make sure it is dark; make sure there is a full moon, if there isn't one then make a real one(definitely not instant); go get your Apollo 18 CD and put it on 'See the Constellation' on repeat; lie on bed, breath in caffeine fumes, look at moon, feel chilled and just listen. Do that and all the problems of the world mean nothing, not even whether Eric should be there or not. Si }:-> PS: I am currently much in the liking of: Red Dwarf, Star Trek, Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, BNL, Terrorvision, Wonderstuff, Farside, Doonesbury, Friends, Having an excess of rocks and a lack of string and feeling fine. ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### |\______/| FROM \ / | (. .) | ______ Simon Madine |_______| / \ / _ _ \ | Moo? | Your friendly local | |_| |_| | \______/ \ ___ / ____| erm...well, Simon, really \_______/ "Me, I'd like to think that life is like a drink and I'm hoping that it tastes like bourbon" -The Wonderstuff, Size of a Cow ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 06:56:59 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970203212627.272f371c@mail.one.net> From: Goat Boy Subject: TMBG: Birthday I just thought this was cute, and I know all of you will appreciate it... Yesterday was one of my friend's birthday. All I could do was lunge out at him. I probably would have been less fun if he *were* a TMBG fan, but the element of surprise felt so good! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-37 Message-ID: <19970207.060622.13678.1.bobthecow1@juno.com> From: bobthecow1@juno.com (Jordan A Arnot) Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 08:07:05 EST OKay, as far as the whole ditzes and jocks thing: I think if they're that stupid they probably just don't understand a lot of TMBG lyrics and so they don't enjoy it as much as any of us do. Take purple toupee (sp?) for example, half of them probably don't understand that he's not talkin about some ol lady named selma but in fact the town in alabama. As well as the other references to past events in that song. >>> Agreed. I'm more inclined to feel a little *sorry* for non-TMBG fans than anything else. I mean, we all *know* Giant-heads are a superior breed. i think that basically sums that up. Anyways, as far as the whole cake and refreshments? anyone like cracker??? i see a lot of similarities between us Giant-heads i mean... how many people on this list are named 'jordan' and how many of us have never seen star wars and come to think of it how many of us named jordan have never seen star wars??? i think that's pretty freeky that i skate too!!! anyways those are the similarities i see! No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and i wish they would stop... jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FB28AF.2723@wwnet.com> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 08:05:51 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: Geek > On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 18:43:18 +0000 Jonah wrote: > > > 1) "quirky" (style) > > > 2) "geeky" (style) > > > 6) "dorky" (style) > > Yes. A couple others that should be added to the list "cute", "happy" "funny"(not > > that they can't be hilarious on occasion, but since they're depressing more often > > than funny...), and "crappy"(one quite common at my school). The guys in my band told me last night that I'm the nerd of the band. I asked them why (our bassist is much more nerdy than me.) They said it was because I wore dorky clothes and listened to They Might Be Giants. WE got into a discourse on TMBG, which doesn't happen much with me. They said that using instrumentation like vibraphone and tuba are just ways to say "Hey, I'm elite." I asked them to describe the difference between being a nerd and being intellectual. They seem to think that the instrumentation and the topics, such as WTDSS? (which i can't believe they've heard, sicne I don't own it) are just pretentious intellectualism. You have to understand that this band is concerned with not being pretentious, but instead being honest about ourselves and our music. We think there are too many bands out there that are either all balls and no brains or are riding the current wave and have no musical intergrity. YOu'd think that being in such a band, they'd have a better appreciation of TMBG. But no. So I took the banana shakes from the woman at the drive through window, handed them to my friends, and said "You don't understand that band at all." Dwayne drummer with Six Floors, The Pink Stones, and the Ann Arbor Crack Attack ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:46:08 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG--:that Chewbacca thingy Message-ID: On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Thor wrote: > On 6 Feb 1997 11:03:11 -0500, unjhiller@LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU (hotdog) > wrote: > > >> Also: non-TMBG related, but why didn't Chewbacca (or the 'droids for that > >> matter) get a medal at the end of Star Wars? i can understand the > >> 'droids (not being human and all) but for Christ sakes, Chebacca did just > >> as much as anyone. Couldn't they morph a stupid medal on him. Jeez. > > > >They never received medals in any version of the movie althought they do > >in the book and radio transcript. > > Well, watch the endof the first on again... Han & Luke get medals for > making the Death Star go BOOM! > I just think, probably, the reason that just Han & Luke got medals was for movie-type scenery. It was more striking or something just to have the two of them walk through that big hall full of the Alliance. Also, the scene would have definitely dragged if she had had to give out 5 or more medals! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702071344.AA09570@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 08:34:25 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: Non-TMBG: Refreshments, Cake In columbia house, I believe, they mention that the refreshments have 'they might be giants style lyricism' (or something like that). I still haven't bought the cd, but frankly I highly doubt they can hold a blowtorch to Them. Cake is fun from what I've heard...I love I Will Survive!! And I'm not a geek! I don't know what it is about that word, but I hate it with a passion. I happen to be a dork. Yes, a dork, thank you. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:52:50 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Geek Message-ID: On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, dstange wrote: ** WE got into a discourse on TMBG, which doesn't happen much with me. ** They said that using instrumentation like vibraphone and tuba are just ** ways to say "Hey, I'm elite." Oh, my mistake. I thought it was because they _sounded good_. Glad I had your friends there to correct me. ** I asked them to describe the difference between being a nerd and being ** intellectual. They seem to think that the instrumentation and the topics, ** such as WTDSS? (which i can't believe they've heard, sicne I don't own ** it) are just pretentious intellectualism. RIGHT. They're real quick then. WDTSS is THE MOST unpretentious song. It has to take a band that _really_ doesn't care what people think of them, that really just wants to do something for the pure joy and fun of it, to do a song that will sound embarrassing. Intellectual is when you discuss esoteric, sophisticated, and 'cultured' topics. There's nothing intellectual about WDTSS. The sun is not esoteric, sophisticated, or cultured. TMBG is one of the most unpretentious bands around. I think your friends should stop trying so hard to not be pretentious. They're actually being elite themselves by saying they're better than TMBG, just because of the fact that TMBG sang WDTSS, a children's song from long ago. How does that make sense? There's nothing remotely intellectual about that song, and I'd love to know how they're pretending to be something they're not by singing that song. Tell them to go look the words up and then explain to you how TMBG fits that definition by COVERING a children's song about the sun. I'd like to hear the explanation at least. ** You have to understand that this band is concerned with not being ** pretentious, but instead being honest about ourselves and our music. We ** think there are too many bands out there that are either all balls and ** no brains or are riding the current wave and have no musical intergrity. Maybe you should quit being so obsessed with it? Is it really that tough to remain unpretentious? Do you have to be thinking about it all the time? Is it going to sneak up on you or something? "Oh no! My god, I've been pretentious all along and I didn't even know it!" So instead, your friends have to 'insult' a band, and say that the band is not true to itself, when they don't even know what the band is like in the first place... I just don't know. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702071436.JAA03472@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 09:38:21 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Boo? Naawww... Here's my dumb-ass logic: I'm paying to see TMBG (tonight and the next 2 weeks, actually ;-). They sign Mr. Schermerhorn's checks... If they want him to be there, there's nothing I or you or Barry Manilow can do about it. If our gleaming pop quasars try it, I'll usually give it a chance. (And I almost hate to say it again, but I really like Eric's playing. Please don't throw stuff.) Again, feel free to contact me if A) you want to meet up after the NYC shows, or B) you'd like to trade tapes of the shows. I'll be taping, if all goes well... -tom. Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702071438.JAA24931@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 09:40:45 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: GEEK!!! >Now, I don't know what it is with this whole "We like TMBG, and thus >everyone who doesn't like TMBG sucks" bit. Well, heh, it's true... >But the simple fact is that there are geeks everywhere. There are geeks >that like Pantera, geeks that like Yanni, geeks that like the Toasters, Oh yes there are! I, personally, am a geek and I like Pantera, the Toasters, and maybe not Yanni but still a lot of "non-mainstream" music. Peoples' reaction to meeting me is almost always "man, he's weird" or "what a dork." I stopped listening to those people a long time ago. The way I look at it, so long as I'm secure in what I do and believe, it doesn't matter what they think. It ends up that the only people who talk to me are the open-minded and inquisitive, and to me that's exactly what I want. So the ass-heads avoid me--I don't see a problem here! (And it's true. I do write the programs. I make the computers. I am your master, you are my slaves. Now I command you to give me TP for my bunghole!) * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Let's get those missiles aimed to destroy the universe!" ------------------------------ From: Organization: St. John's University Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:56:54 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: <406585E1A0A@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU> All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way too much fuckin time on their hands. Shut the fuck up you gay assholes and learn to like it. I have been a fan for 7 years and I'm tired of TMBG fans they are a bunch of little fuckin pussies. The type that if the bully next store wet with a water gun they are the ones who fuckin scream and cry and yell about how there not allowed to get wet. Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of pussies who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their toenails. All girl fans belong in the beat rebellion or they are just little fucking 14 year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. Eric must stay get lives and rock on. See you pussies at Irving. Michael P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK JAWS. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:22:55 +0000 (GMT) From: D Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: Don't interrupt me as I... _______________________________________________________________________________ Douglas Robertson The well known story of the panic created by the Derwent College radio broadcast of War of The Worlds is well University of York known. It is, however, coloured somewhat by the Heslington fact that the millions of Americans who believed York that the aliens had landed also believed that YO1 5DD during a real invasion the coverage of one of the most important events in world history would be interupted every 15 minutes for ad breaks. FLUMCAKE ON-LINE:It's got more words than your average cabbage patch. http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ...struggle to complete this thought _______________________________________________________________________________ On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, msbl3365 wrote: Hmm, I'm so glas you though to enlighten us on the list wi your opinions. Please, send some more before the list degenterates into mindless abopuse and ill thought out arguments ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:43:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970206172045_1447739691@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Spawning of the Cage and Aquarium. not to mention... "William Blacksher" wrote: >...she thought it said, "It's the dawning of the age of Aquarius." I listened to it again >and it did. Was this the album version of CAA; because it clearly says, "This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium." (Though I must admit, Dawning of... was what I thought of the first time I heard the song.) Anyway-- I am sooooo exited!!! In 26 hours and 42 minutes, DOORS WILL OPEN!! Who else is going to the IP show(s). I'll be at all three!! (for tomorrow, I'll be the little kid in the bright orange BIOHAZARD: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK t-shirt) See you there! Giantly, Dan E Boy P.S. A very happy birthday to Christy. Much luck getting your song played! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702071721.MAA20822@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 12:18:12 +0500 From: Christopher Sexton Subject: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. I was just playing don't lets start backwards (so I had nothing to do, OK!) and it sounds like Linnel is saying "screw a bagel on a nest". Is it just me or do you guys think that They are trying to sublimnaly program us? **************************************************************************** Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk chsexton@vt.edu 332 Lee Hall (540) 232-2048 Va Tech www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton Blacksburg, Va 24060-0007 **************************************************************************** I see the best minds of my generation Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical- Young ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702071729.AA06201@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:29:09 -0500 (EST) > At 10:23 PM -0600 2/6/97, Aaron Kohlbeck wrote: > >Listen: > > I know most of the Eric S. debate has come and gone, but I wanted > >to say something before, but could not find the info to back up what I > >wanted to say. But I found it, so here is what I have to say. If you go > >to tmbg.com, and go to news and then the tour info, it says, and I quote, > >"Look out for TMBG's most rocking show yet, with a five-piece line up=20 > >featuring internationally reviled rock guitarist Eric Schermerhorn..." > >Now, is it just me, or isn't reviled usually used in a bad way? Just > >what are TMBG trying to say about Eric?=20 > > Yes, but with They one never knows. As an example, the between song patter= > at one show I saw where they talk about 'disappointing audiences= > everywhere'. It's as if they know they've disappointed some people by not= > playing [name your favorite song] or by putting Eric in the line-up, but= > they're willing to live with the consequences - and so should we, I guess. No, no you've got it all wrong, it's called trying to be a "witty comedian" Flans is great on stage and elsewhere and he likes to crack the jokes. I doubt they think they've disappointed audiences everywhere or believe that Eric is internationally reviled (even if some of us do). If they believed this, they would not be touring, nor would they have Eric (most likely). He's just trying to make a funny! I rather like it. Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:12:30 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970206215119_1861237851@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Pics for tmbg.org!! Helloooo.... Okay, I have some *great* pics scanned from the Rochester (12-29-96) show... This is kind of a letter to you at the unofficial site. :) Leo, John, BlueDawg.. Where do I send them for the fan pics site? I've got 5 (well, these are the best 5)..Let me know what email address to send 'em to! :D sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:31:34 -0500 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. >I was just playing don't lets start backwards (so I had nothing to do, OK!) >and it sounds like Linnel is saying "screw a bagel on a nest". Is it just >me or do you guys think that They are trying to sublimnaly program us? Dang. *That* explains my stange attraction to avian domiciles and ethnic breakfast foodstuffs. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Anything that is weird in R2 is also weird in R." -- Professor Stensones "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:31:29 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: > [clip the homophobic, monosyllabic phrases...] > > P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG > mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK > JAWS. > Okay, only one thing to say about this amazingly well-crafted message. The reason why there has not been a TMBG mosh pit is not because we're all pussies (although you do have to admit that some people at TMBG shows are rather scrawny.... :P ), but because TMBG is not exactly moshing music. When I've seen Them play, there was indeed a mosh pit on songs like the loud part of "The End of the Tour", "Frankenstein", and so on. But you just can't fucking mosh to "Particle Man" and all the rest of them. It just doesn't happen. Those people who choose to mosh for every song (this is especially true at Mighty Mighty Bosstones shows and ska shows as well) are merely flaunting their fucking testosterone. So Michael, if you want to mosh, fucking go ahead. Then excuse me while I beat the shit out of you after the show for ruining it for all of us. Hey Michael....would a pussy say that? 'Nuff said. You want to call some people pussies, fine, be my guest, but don't fucking stereotype all of us. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Hey angel / fly over / and bless me..." --Jawbox, "Savory" ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 10:58:55 Subject: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows > Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of > pussies who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their > toenails. Any of you guys out there agree with this? > All girl fans belong in the beat rebellion or they > are just little fucking 14 year olds who get a ride to and from > the shows. As a woman who likes TMBG I must disagree. As a TMBG fan I'm offended. Is this post a joke? This bullshit does not have a place on the mailing list. (Hey Kilroy...how's THIS for a point less post?) > See you pussies at Irving. Oh I hope not. > P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a > TMBG mosh pit. Umm...you must not know that much about TMBG. They DISCOURAGE mosh pits. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm offended. mouse ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:00:25 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: TMBG: My Tape of _Lincoln_: ERROR!!! Message-ID: Hey, Ben or Been here, with a sore throat that makes me sound like Froggy from the Lil' Rascals. I've posed this before with no response, so again I pose: Has anyone noticed that on the audio cassette for _Lincoln_, on the first side, they forgot to list a song? I forget the song as I don't have the tape on me now. But, as for errors, what other *error* memorabilia of TMBG's do you know? (I think DAS's phone number was wrong in the _Apollo 18_ CD, but maybe it was another CD.) I part thus, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970207150445.006d960c@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 15:04:47 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-37 >Anyways, as far as the whole cake and refreshments? anyone like >cracker??? This is beginning to remond me of the current thread in Funky Winkerbean (Sp?) Which was already an old joke before that started. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970207152221.006a762c@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 15:22:23 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Bagel At 01:31 PM 2/7/97 -0500, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: >>I was just playing don't lets start backwards (so I had nothing to do, OK!) >>and it sounds like Linnel is saying "screw a bagel on a nest". Is it just >>me or do you guys think that They are trying to sublimnaly program us? > >Dang. *That* explains my stange attraction to avian domiciles and ethnic >breakfast foodstuffs. I don't really think bagels can still be classified as ethnic foodstuffs... I live in a small town and we haver two bagel stores. Bagels have really penetrated our society. When can something really be stopped being called "ethnic" though? Or will it always be classified thus because of it's orgins? Delete this now. ("Yes, I'll have a cheddar-herb bagel, with tuna salad on it...") -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702072041.OAA08536@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:35:54 -0600 ---------- > From: msbl3365@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU > To: 97starya@james.hawken.edu; jerryc3@ibm.ne; tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows > Date: Friday, February 07, 1997 8:56 AM > > All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way too > much fuckin time on their hands. Shut the fuck up you gay assholes > and learn to like it. I have been a fan for 7 years and I'm tired of >snip!< (blah blah ignorant fool blah blah probably a weener blah blah) >snip!< > year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. > Eric must stay get lives and rock on. > > See you pussies at Irving. > > Michael > > > P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG > mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK > JAWS. You, sir, are the very definition of a "TMBG FAN". Agressive, Disturbed, and A Lover of the Moshing. As we all know, "Learn to like it" is the motto of They. You should have expressed your manliness by **E-MAIL** a long time ago. Nothing says brave like an arrogant posting. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go beat up a "pussy" who can't get wet, and then I'm gonna punch a wall for a few hours, just because I can. And you 14 year old girls had better get to bed. It's late. :) (People like this are the reason we're never gonna have flying cars, robot servants, or The Kitchen Of The Future.) Mike "Official TMBG DickJaw" Leffel ...what the hell does DICKJAW mean anyway??? ;) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 14:28:44 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: re:eric/ip shows/ whatta jerk! > Okay, only one thing to say about this amazingly well-crafted > message. The reason why there has not been a TMBG mosh pit is > not because we're all pussies, but > because TMBG is not exactly moshing music. That and the fact that most of us have respect for TMBG, who do not like moshing and try to discourage that kind of behavior at concerts. > So Michael, if you want to mosh, fucking go > ahead. Then excuse me while I beat the shit out of you after > the show for ruining it for all of us. Hey Michael....would a > pussy say that? I almost wish I could be there to see this. > 'Nuff said. You want to call some people pussies, fine, be my > guest, but don't fucking stereotype all of us. Like I said earlier. This post pissed me off so much I wanted to kick his ass. And this is me, a girl. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought this guy was a asshole. mouse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702072205.RAA09546@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 17:01:30 +0500 From: ??? Subject: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows These Messages have got to stop. I am not only offended but offended, so STOP-IT Thanks * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (A message from the anti-satan of the TMBG list thingy) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 17:30 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream >Things were going cool, until some people came storming into the bar. They >stopped playing and Flans looked at me and said "Run!" I asked where. He >said, "Backstage!" So we all went backstage and I asked Flans what was going >on and he said, "They're after us!". Linnell was hiding to, but he didn't >say anything. I asked why those guys were after Them and Flans said something >about the bad guys wanting them and that is all I can remember. This makes me think; wouldn't a TMBG cartoon be just incredibly cool? Stuff like that could happen every week... Heck, they could take the plots from TMBG-listers dreams. Um, except for the swearing parts. Yeah, that'd be cool, I think. >Aaron, who is reading "Breakfast of Champions" again. Go read it. Kirsten seconds that motion. And while you're at it, read _Cat's Cradle_. Kurt Vonnegut is cool. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702072237.RAA23025@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 16:29:50 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Wilma, hold ma knife! Gotta post on the internet! Just a point on He-man's post. 14 year old girls do generally tend to get rides to concerts. I'm a 13 year old guy, and if getting a ride isn't as manly as walking to New York from New Hampshire, well then I'm sorry. Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 7 Feb 97 17:45 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows All girl >fans belong in the beat rebellion or they are just little fucking 14 >year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. > Eric must stay get lives and rock on. *blink* *blink* Hey, it's not *my* fault I can't drive! And I'm seventeen... Kirsten (who is assuming, for the sake of her peace of mind, that this outburst was tongue in cheek) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 6 Feb 97 22:20:17 UT From: "PANACHE4U Kathy" Message-Id: Subject: RE: TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg ---------- Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 1997 8:53 PM To: 'tmbg-list@tmbg.org' Subject: Re:TMBG:Racist bullshit - farewell losers.....not really tmbg Wubba said... >I'd like to say something about this. I too think that the translator >stuff is really stupid. And maybe those people who posted about it >are >idiots. That dosen't mean everyone on the list is bad. You're gonna >leave >the list just cause of a few dumb posts. There are stupid people >everywhere. (I know, I deal with them everyday.) What are you >going to do, "Everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people." -The Refreshments Anyone else here like the Refreshments? How bout Cake? Ryan47 the .sigless wonder ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:50:48 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: My Tape of _Lincoln_: ERROR!!! Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > But, as for errors, what other *error* memorabilia of TMBG's do you know? > (I think DAS's phone number was wrong in the _Apollo 18_ CD, but maybe it > was another CD.) > > I part thus, > Ben or Been > Um, The CD words of Lincoln. They go in this order. 1 5 14 10 2 6 15 11 3 7 16 12 4 8 17 13 9 18 Weird, huh. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:49:23 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: Yes, I certainly agree with all those out there who say that stupid posts like these should be ignored. In this case, I make an exception because I have no intention of flaming or getting offended or anything. I just want to point out how this post totally proves my point about the diversity of TMBG fans. If this guy can be a They fan, then anyone can. (Let me just comment on how cool it is to beat people up and how knee-slappingly funny it is watch people get wet. Ya know, the rain does the same thing. And what do they sell at the bully next store anyway? State of the art super-soakers maybe?) Reason, peace, and tolerance to you all, Dan On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 msbl3365@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU wrote: > All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way too > much fuckin time on their hands. Shut the fuck up you gay assholes > and learn to like it. I have been a fan for 7 years and I'm tired of > TMBG fans they are a bunch of little fuckin pussies. The type that if > the bully next store wet with a water gun they are the ones who > fuckin scream and cry and yell about how there not allowed to get > wet. Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of pussies > who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their toenails. All girl > fans belong in the beat rebellion or they are just little fucking 14 > year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. > Eric must stay get lives and rock on. > > See you pussies at Irving. > > Michael > > > P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG > mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK > JAWS. > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 17:51:58 -0600 From: "Linda Schultz" Message-Id: <9702072351.AA27951@omnifest.uwm.edu> Subject: TMBG: Pardon My Ignorance Hi, Which issue of Guitar World am I looking for to find the article Flans wrote? What is Space Ghost and where does it come on? When I was in school which was a long time ago you could only get 4.0, which was straight A's, so please explain the grading system where you can get over that (4.27 or more). If you don't want to clog the list with this, Email me, I'm curious. "I hate rock 'n roll / I hate it 'cause it fucks with my soul..." --Jesus and Mary Chain Thanks so much for the quote, I love it! Linda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702080039.SAA13014@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: TMBG CARTOON.. how I ache for it so. Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:33:36 -0600 I quoted some stuff, but I thought it appropriate stuff to quote. ---------- > From: Kirsten Brodbeck > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: geeks/eric/a dream > Date: Friday, February 07, 1997 4:00 PM > > >Things were going cool, until some people came storming into the bar. They > >stopped playing and Flans looked at me and said "Run!" I asked where. He > >said, "Backstage!" So we all went backstage and I asked Flans what was going > >on and he said, "They're after us!". Linnell was hiding to, but he didn't > >say anything. I asked why those guys were after Them and Flans said something > >about the bad guys wanting them and that is all I can remember. > > This makes me think; wouldn't a TMBG cartoon be just incredibly > cool? Stuff like that could happen every week... Heck, they could take > the plots from TMBG-listers dreams. Um, except for the swearing parts. > Yeah, that'd be cool, I think. > Kirsten > -- > "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* Oohhhh!!! (giggling like a madman) What I wouldn't give to see TMBG:TAS! It would be so hilarious! Unless of course, it was like "The Monkees". Then it would be ... ..who am I kidding. It would still be hilarious! ..AND it would make a nifty t-shirt! :) Mike "Drawing as we speak" Leffel unfortunately, I have an Ensor Complex. Mike "Drawing as we speak" Leffel gotta go.. my mother is calling me. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: They on Irvingplaza.com Message-ID: <19970207.193821.9894.0.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 19:38:32 EST I didn't see this posted yet but They will be on a live chat on : http://www.irvingplaza.com on tuesday, February 11th at 7:00p.m. EST. Since They always seem to have internet chats on nights when I have class, I'll be unable to tune in;(. Could someone please log this and either post a copy to the list or to me, personally? Pretty please? Thanks;) Jen ------------------------------ Message-Id: <2.2.32.19970208005350.006d252c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 19:53:50 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Wilma, hold ma knife! Gotta post on the internet! At 04:29 PM 2/7/97 -0500, you wrote: >Just a point on He-man's post. 14 year old girls do generally tend to get >rides to concerts. I'm a 13 year old guy, and if getting a ride isn't as >manly as walking to New York from New Hampshire, well then I'm sorry. Just to make it clear, whoever He-Man that is, it's not me. -Adam Tyner ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Ok, i dont have to feel guilty Message-ID: <19970207.185723.11454.3.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 20:01:29 EST Yowza. My computer's down for a week and look what happens. I almost get killed 'cause of some mistaken identity thing. Well, I have nothing else to say, so I'll just shamelessly plug a site I just made: For those of you who like Yes-album-cover-type 70's-lookin' art, pop over to www.boomerart.com to check out this guy's art. It's pretty groovy. And the web site isn't too shabby, neither. "You see, birds fall from the window ledge above mine, then they flap their wings at the last second." -Cake Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com And they visit his hut to inquire, "What other planet features this," and he replies, "What other planet?" > IO just said tim lloyd instead of tom hare, i was too lazy to press >alt, down down down enter and take a look. Sorry, On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 18:45:50 -0600 wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) writes: > I first sent that to one person, then the list, then >nthis..... I >should start reading all my mail before replies..... because not tim >lloyd >(i think) decided to give away the numbers i offered and made me feel >stupid.... now, everyone, lets remember, KILL TIM THE ILLEGAL GUY >hehehehehehehehehe duuuhhhhhh..... (stupid grunting noises) over> > > > -Wyatt, who wont kill tim ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 05:46:14 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32FB3225.59E7@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows mousegirl@usa.net wrote: > > > Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of > > pussies who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their > > toenails. > > Any of you guys out there agree with this? No, I disagree. My mom doesn't cut my toenails, my sister does. And I choose not to get the girls. What date is it? > > All girl fans belong in the beat rebellion or they > > are just little fucking 14 year olds who get a ride to and from > > the shows. > > As a woman who likes TMBG I must disagree. > As a TMBG fan I'm offended. Is this post a joke? This bullshit does not > have a place on the mailing list. (Hey Kilroy...how's THIS for a point > less post?) > > > See you pussies at Irving. > > Oh I hope not. > hehe > > P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a > > TMBG mosh pit. > > Umm...you must not know that much about TMBG. They DISCOURAGE mosh pits. > > I dunno about anyone else, but I'm offended. > mouse me two Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:03:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970207203417_716901052@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Idiot Hey! << Wow, I'm awfully shocked! TMBG were on Vin Scala(someone please help me with the spelling)'s "Idiot's Delight" a few days ago (was it sunday?), as you may know. Well, a very nice NJ friend taped it for me, and I got it in the mail today. Did anyone else hear it? Was it sunday for sure (just so I know when labeling it)? And should I be ashamed that I didn't know Flans did an episode of Space Ghost when they were last in Atlanta? >> That is the one I got on tape. Subj: WNEW that I offered out Harlan: I got the tapes. I'll mail them out Joel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 18:19:15 -0800 (PST) From: "E. Fjellanger" Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows Message-ID: On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 msbl3365@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU wrote: >(offensive stuff) I'm still getting used to usenet terminology, so maybe there's an old pro out there who can help me out. Was that a "troll"? Eric Fjellanger ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970207222715.0068500c@mail.ee.net> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 22:27:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Interview I was browsing from the Irving Plaza website and stumbled upon some interviews: http://www.live-wire.com/issue05/tmbg/ Pretty interesting. Everyone should go and read them. Is someone collecting these along with copyright info for later FAQs or something? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 23:38:16 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970207232558_104864646@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: *yawn* different stuff. >They Might Be Giants *AND* Barenaked Ladies concerts- all in >one year!! =) > > Now if they'd just tour together and come back to >Memphis... >=) > >A Dedicated TMBG and BNL fan, Hee hee.. same here. In fact, TMBG and BNL are the only concerts I've been to. AND, I'm sseing BNL a week from today! (or yesterday if you're on the digest ). >working in a coffee shop by my house and John, John, Brian, >and Jim Jim? Jim... Jim Jim Jim....Only Jim I can think of is Creeggan (from the BNL ). >#3 was the "concert in my back yard" dream. Okay, now what the hell is going on. :) Matt James had a dream about Them giving a concert at his house, I had a dream about the BNL giving a concert at my house, and now this.. This is awfully weird (in a fascinating way)! :D Geeks: Okay, I think this "stereotypical tmbger" thing got outta hand. I have never seen star wars, etc.. We're not *all* 100% alike. And someone said something about how there are geeks who like Yanni, TLC, Pantera, etc - good point. But, think of a *cool* person (you know the ones.. Homecoming queens.. blech!) - how many of -them- that you know have anything other than Flood? I'm not being totally sarcastic, I truly want to know, ya know? I don't think there are that many, otherwise it would be "cool" to like them. Ack, don't even bother replying to this paragraph. It's just my opinion. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal "Maybe it's nervous cause it's naked!" - Space Ghost talking about a dead chicken ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 00:20:55 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Message-ID: Hey all-- I just concluded that we've all been "discussing" the different people on this list. I'm really curious, so I figured that I would attempt to figure out some statistics on the people on this list. As such, I would like to ask those people who have a spare minute or two to kind of fill out the following "form" and e-mail it to me privately. I will compile some facts and figures next Saturday (2/15) and post the results on a web page sometime after that. Come on, just press reply right now and fill this out (deleting this paragraph, of course). I'm sure we're all curious. Thanks. * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name: E-mail: Gender: Age: City: State/Country: Occupation: Three Favorite Bands: 1. (only 3) 2. 3. Three Favorite Movies: 1. (only 3) 2. 3. Favorite Author: Favorite TV Show: Favorite TMBG album: Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Favorite Comic Strip: * --------------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks again. Bill tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-38 *****************************