Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-39 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 39 Sunday, 9 February 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. TMBG: [Insert witty subject line here] or, replies to Ben or Been +. TMBG: DICK JAWS of the world unite! TMBG: Have fun TMBG: Hammer down... rabbit ears (kinda long... but funny hopefully) TMBG: Errors in Albums/Psycho Poster TMBG: TMBG cartoon TMBG: Re: ERROR!!! Re: TMBG: TMBG cartoon TMBG: Mosh Pits & Compliments Re: TMBG: Errors in Albums/Psycho Poster TMBG: errors TMBG: A dream! Finally! (I think....) TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) TMBG: not TMBG, but list related. Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) TMBG: My First TMBG Dream, but not really Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but (none) TMBG: tales from the real world and things TMBG: with sugar on top? Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but TMBG: Band Expirations Re: TMBG: with sugar on top? (Irving Plaza concert(s)) TMBG: "the acoustic guitar never did anybody no harm - no how." TMBG: FS error Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) TMBG: Welcome Back Chainsaw Kitten! Re: TMBG: TMBG cartoon Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) TMBG: jealousy... TMBG: Heya Listies! TMBG: Nixon's The One TMBG: We Might Be Giants Too Re:TMBG:IRVING PLAZA TMBG: Larry Sanders Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: CyburDog@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 02:04:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970207182512_444223114@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. said Christopher Sexton to the dog: <> His royal Cyburness replied: I really fail to hear it... what part specifically sounds like "Screw...nest"? I listened to the demo and the released version... TMB(do)G or Miscellaneous Tim "Nobody does country music like us, cause they wouldn't want to!"-TMBG P.S. Is one of the Johns more lively than the other at the concerts? just a ? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 03:26:25 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: [Insert witty subject line here] or, replies to Ben or Been +. Message-ID: Ben or Been: On the cassette of Lincoln, its side two, and the missing song, is, ironically enough, "You'll miss me". Re: Eric and the IP Shows: Guys, it's a troll. Ignore it. You're just pandering to his ego if you respond. Just ignore him, cause it's the best way to achieve the following quote by Flans: "I don't want to rock his world". 'Sides, if I was 14, I'd still be heavily into the Monkees. :) This is not a bad thing, but I hadn't discovered TMBG yet. Which is a much better thing. Oh dear. I'm starting to babble. I'll shut up now. Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702081055.FAA29382@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 05:57:31 +0500 From: "Mr. Horrible" Subject: TMBG: DICK JAWS of the world unite! >Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of pussies >who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their toenails. Hmm, really? I bet my toenails get more girls by themselves than you ever will! Let me consult Christy's Webster: pussy, n. Anyone who prefers not to have drunken frat boys smack them in the head with brick-filled bookbags while they're trying to enjoy good music >P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG >mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK >JAWS. Come to think of it, I haven't seen you at any AC/DC concerts, I missed you at the Warped Tour, never met you at a Pantera concert, I've never seen ya' skankin' at a Pietasters' gig... I suppose you had better things to do than come mosh with me, like compose *POINTLESSLY AGGRESSIVE, JUVENILE, AND QUITE POSSIBLY FREUDIAN POSTS*. >See you pussies at Irving. Here's a deal: let's agree on a color scheme that will stand out in a crowd, like, say, a neon green t-shirt with red plaid golf pants. Post again, confirming that you'll be wearing this pop-culture matador's cape at the show, and see how many 14 year old beat poets and pussy primadonna dick jaws come over and kick in your head... :) (I hope you feel manly. I cetainly feel manly just standing in your aura.) * rev. jonathan m. scott (mrhorrible@foo.org) * http://www.foo.org/jon/index.html * "Let's get those missiles aimed to destroy the universe!" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 19:15:55 +0000 (GMT) From: Simon Madine Subject: TMBG: Have fun Message-ID: I don't know if this will be read by anyone before the concert but if so, have fun and don't boast about being there too much when you're back on-line. Si }:-> "Oh my God, IT'S DIP!" -Jessica Rabbit ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### |\______/| FROM \ / | (. .) | ______ Simon Madine |_______| / \ / _ _ \ | Moo? | Your friendly local | |_| |_| | \______/ \ ___ / ____| erm...well, Simon, really \_______/ "Me, I'd like to think that life is like a drink and I'm hoping that it tastes like bourbon" -The Wonderstuff, Size of a Cow ***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***###***### ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FCB85C.5C06@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 09:31:08 -0800 From: Green Jello Subject: TMBG: Hammer down... rabbit ears (kinda long... but funny hopefully) last nite at the watering hole we heard: > > |\______/| > \ / > | (. .) | ______ > |_______| / \ > / _ _ \ | Moo? | > | |_| |_| | \______/ > \ ___ / ____| > \_______/ i kinda thought this was cool.... > They sign Mr. Schermerhorn's checks... If they > want him to be there, there's nothing I or you or Barry Manilow can do > about it. i would have to say this is logical > From: > Organization: St. John's University > Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:56:54 EST > Subject: Re: TMBG: Eric and the IP shows > Message-ID: <406585E1A0A@SIMCL.STJOHNS.EDU> > > All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way too > much f***in time on their hands. Shut the f*** up you g** a**holes > and learn to like it. I have been a fan for 7 years and I'm tired of > TMBG fans they are a bunch of little f***in p***ies. The type that if > the bully next store wet with a water gun they are the ones who > f***in scream and cry and yell about how there not allowed to get > wet. Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of p***ies > who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their toenails. All girl > fans belong in the beat rebellion or they are just little f***ing 14 > year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. > Eric must stay get lives and rock on. > wow... usually i don't respond to trolls...but this is too weird... personally i agree with the first line..(no silly!:p not "From: See you p***ies at Irving. > > Michael > > P.S. You s***heads are the reason why there has never been a TMBG > mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna D*** > JAWS. is the irving show an all nude show??? is this the famed oklahoma flesh fest???? oh no!! i'm going to miss the nude tmbg show!!! wait a second.. what about us guys... no fair... i say that you take back your sexist statement and revises to include us penises too!!! ****BLATANT SEXISM*** YOU SEXIST PIG!!!!! p.s. confused-shus say... he who plays with "poo" must be careful if he insists on sitting in front of a fan!! love, Green Jello mailto:greenjello@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 09:42:24 -0500 (EST) From: Joe Teagno <99teajoe@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG: Errors in Albums/Psycho Poster Message-ID: Someone was commenting on the order of the lyrics printed in Lincoln. When I first bought the CD, I thought that there was some mistake in the printing or something. But after a closer look, it looks like the tracks are in alphabetical order. Hold on. I just checked. There goes my theory about alphabetical order. Oh well. Maybe they're in "John Order" which is something way above us which the Johns invented and we have no hope of ever understanding that it's what the Johns intended (And frankly that's good enough for me). About the A18 misprint: I have a funny friend-of-a-friend story about this. I found out later it's not true, but still, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief (sp?) it's pretty cool. I have a friend who is a TMBG fan. For a while, the only album he owned was [the misprinted] A18. So when the time came for him to call Dial-A-Song, he dialed (I think) 718/963-6962 instead of 718/387-6962. Because this was his first time calling, he didn't know what to expect. He says that he got some irate woman. He asked if this was the correct number for They Might Be Giants. The woman answered with "PLEASE! Stop calling me! I don't even know who They Might Be Giants are!" And as soon as apologized for calling the wrong number, she hung up on him. Then, time passed (doesn't it always? Answer: Yes.) and I bought Misc T. I let him borrow it, and the next day he screamed to me to, "OH MY GOD, JOE, I TALKED WITH THE WOMAN ON TRACK 13!! I TALKED WITH THE TRACK 13 LADY!!" Apparently, he had called the wrong number and he thought that the woman he reached was the Track 13 Lady. I was mighty impressed at the time. Isn't the correct story that the Track 13 Lady did a three way call to DAS with a friend and forgot she was being taped, and what you hear is her conversation? But who knows? Maybe he really did talk to the track 13 Lady! About that angry poster: I think the best way to deal with something like this is to ignore it. I was tempted to answer saying that I have seen mosh pits, and I was tempted to prove I could do that without sprinkling the word "pussy" or "dickjaw" around every other word. But in a situation like this, you've just gotta shake your head, make "tisk, tisk" noises under your breath, and feel sorry that some people find it necessary to... er, express their opinions (clearing throat in disapproval) that way. Oh well. Joe (Who sort of needs a signature right about now, but never actually got around to making out) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FC618E.6EB7@baka.com> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 11:20:46 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: TMBG cartoon > This makes me think; wouldn't a TMBG cartoon be just incredibly > cool? Stuff like that could happen every week... Heck, they could take > the plots from TMBG-listers dreams. Um, except for the swearing parts. > Yeah, that'd be cool, I think. Yes. A TMBG cartoon would seriously rock, boys and girls. Although I have admit that there has never been a good cartoon about a popular(or semi-popular) musical artist. For instance: California Raisins, Chipmonks, Monkees, and (choke, hack, cough) Hammerman. Ah well. If it were TMBG it would rule. And the Beatles' Yellow Submarine cartoon movie was pretty cool, come to think of it. And John and John seem to lend themselves to being drawn as cartoons quite well. Think the hotel detective video. Think those hick johns and worker johns teeshirts. Any future mike judges out there on this list? > >Aaron, who is reading "Breakfast of Champions" again. Go read it. > > Kirsten seconds that motion. And while you're at it, read _Cat's > Cradle_. Kurt Vonnegut is cool. Yeah. And read The Sirens of Titan. -- "All of us get lost in the darkness Dreamers learn to steer by the stars All of us do time in the gutter Dreamers turn to look at the cars"-Neal Peart of Rush Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 07:15:11 -0800 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: TMBG: Re: ERROR!!! >But, as for errors, what other *error* memorabilia of TMBG's do you know? >(I think DAS's phone number was wrong in the _Apollo 18_ CD, but maybe it >was another CD.) The bridge lyrics to "Letterbox" are missing on the CD ("too later soon..." or is it "too late or soon"?) -Bob http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:27:31 -0500 (EST) From: Doug Haas Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG cartoon Message-ID: what? hammerman was awesome!! i loved that, and the Monkees ruled too. although, I don't think they had a cartoon. I may be wrong though. but yeah, a TMBG cartoon would be cool. --------------- Doug Haas The TMBG boot traders page http://tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Jonah wrote: > > This makes me think; wouldn't a TMBG cartoon be just incredibly > > cool? Stuff like that could happen every week... Heck, they could take > > the plots from TMBG-listers dreams. Um, except for the swearing parts. > > Yeah, that'd be cool, I think. > Yes. A TMBG cartoon would seriously rock, boys and girls. Although I have admit > that there has never been a good cartoon about a popular(or semi-popular) > musical artist. For instance: California Raisins, Chipmonks, Monkees, and > (choke, hack, cough) Hammerman. Ah well. If it were TMBG it would rule. And the > Beatles' Yellow Submarine cartoon movie was pretty cool, come to think of it. > And John and John seem to lend themselves to being drawn as cartoons quite well. > Think the hotel detective video. Think those hick johns and worker johns > teeshirts. Any future mike judges out there on this list? > > >Aaron, who is reading "Breakfast of Champions" again. Go read it. > > > > Kirsten seconds that motion. And while you're at it, read _Cat's > > Cradle_. Kurt Vonnegut is cool. > Yeah. And read The Sirens of Titan. > -- > "All of us get lost in the darkness > Dreamers learn to steer by the stars > All of us do time in the gutter > Dreamers turn to look at the cars"-Neal Peart of Rush > > Jonah > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:31:03 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970208103419.28a7b2f8@mail.one.net> From: Goat Boy Subject: TMBG: Mosh Pits & Compliments Concerning the idea that there has never been a mosh pit at a TMBG concert because the guys are too weak: I really feel that mosh pits are mentality related. The reason it is rare at TMBG concerts (besides the fact that half the songs are impossible to mosh to) is that your normal fan doesn't like to mosh. There was a mosh pit at the concert I went to, however. But everyone just looked at the guy like "What IS your problem? You can't mosh here, and especially not to "Particle Man." Maybe my outlook on moshers has been tainted because the only ones I've ever run across have been completely stupid. I'm sure there are intelligent moshers out there, and I would love to be proven wrong. ---------- But changing over to something else about mentality: In school I was playing Flood while I worked. When "Lucky Ball And Chain" played, a teacher came in to use the phone, so I turned the music down (being the polite goat that I am). She asked what it was, because she liked it. I said "It's They Might Be Giants, a really great band." She smiled at that and made her little phone call (ordering flowers for her newly born grandson). Then, within half an hour, when "They Might Be Giants" played, some totally uncultured person came in and just stared at the CD. I snuck up behind him and bellowed out a low "boy." He said "This is crap music." So I threw him out of the office. I love my power.... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:55:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208105547_-1710169670@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Errors in Albums/Psycho Poster hee hee...about the misprint on apollo 18..i dont know, since i lost my cover (grrr) but my friend matt once called. someone answered, and he said "um..is this tmbg dial a song" and he said "NO" and hung up. he called again, "listen, this is NOT a prank, but your number is the same as dial a so---" and the guy hung up. matt called again and tried to explain, and the guy on the other line said "LISTEN, IM A BLACK MAN AND YOUR HARRASSING ME!" so that was odd. im gonna post about the irving show now.... ------------------------------ From: cowking@nconnect.net Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:26:31 -0600 (CST) Message-Id: <199702081626.KAA23484@atlantis.nconnect.net> Subject: TMBG: errors A little while ago my friend calls me up from his dorm at 4 in the morning. He says you got to get over here I just found something. My friend is the brainy type so I figured from the tone in his voice he discovered a way to make gold but when I got there (down the hall) he says look here the lyrics I got from the newspaper (the cutout box thing) contradic what the song says. He is right their are errors in the lyrics for Spirling Shape. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% (__) (oo) \/-------\ || | \ ||----W| * Cow King Peter Kesting cowking@nconnect.net http://www.nconnect.net/~cowking/ "Our feet start running at a furious pace But we can't get away." -- TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 11:36:27 -0500 (EST) From: Elitza Nicolaou Subject: TMBG: A dream! Finally! (I think....) Message-ID: Hey all, I think I had a TMBG dream last night. Listen and tell em what you think... I was in the hall in my school across from the main office, and for some reason, I was in a water balloon fight with several other people, having a blast. I threw my last balloon and ran like hell, only to be pulled over by JF (I think it was him, at any rate), who said, "Elitza Nicolaou! Get in my office NOW!!" (There are small offices for the various departments- math, English, etc., and the clubs like NHS and Student Senate lining the halls of my school. His was the vacant one that my club is supposed to be getting sometime this year that is near the old psychology room. Not that any of you know where tha is, but oh well.) Anyway, I went into the office to see JL (at least I think it was him) and my math teacher, Mrs. Barko (who talks like Bobby's mom on Bobby's World) sitting on chairs. Mrs. Barko said to me, "Looks like the leaves in the center of the tree have finally turned," meaning, "So! This is what kind of awful person you are!" I looked at her and said, "Well, maybe not." She said something to JF that I couldn't hear, and then I yelled, "Mrs. Barko, f*** off!" I ran out of the office and promptly woke up... You must keep in mind that I think I was about to be expelled for tossing a water balloon. Must've been that pizza I had for dinner last night... ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< Elitza Nicolaou <> "Luke ain't got *nuthin'!!*" ana-ng@poetic.com <> -Will Paddock, Summer '96 www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317 <> *Broadway*Impact*STAND*Ska*Greek *Gianthead*Skier*Singer*X-Phile*Trekker*ActualSize!*Reflection*Poetess*Irish* ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 11:38:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208113817_1479819625@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) HEY! got back at 3 am last night, so i couldnt write then. Here is my IRVING PLAZA EXPERIENCE (if you give a crap) I got there 5:40. me and my 2 friends were first in line, along with 2 other kids we met there. well, it was mostly waiting from there. i was pissed off because no one from the list came up to me. ( i SAID id be first in line, with a nametag, and with my korean friend, and theres a drawing of me on my webpage.....) so i really couldnt explain that. well, finally, they let us in. i bought 2 TMBG SHIRTS! The year 2040, and the DAS drunken birdy one. we were in the first row of people, near flansburgh. well, waitng and waiting, when the first opening band , Candy Butchers came out. they were pretty good, and funny too. they left, when the 2nd opening band came---- AND THEY WERE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! The lead singer just screamed into the mic while the band played loud guitars....it was boring...NOT ONLY THAT...the lead "singer" spit water into the audience, said "FUCK YOU!" god knows how many times to us, made..um.. "jerking motions" constantly...AND HE KICKED MY FRIEND IN THE HEAD!!! H e jumped donw from the stage, and tried to crowd surf. he climbed over my friend and kicked him. EVERYONE was screaming at them to get off the stage, throwing things. they laughed and stayed on an extra long time. when they FINALLY left, there was more waitng for tmbg untill we hear.... THE KITTEN INTRO! said by john linnell! they came on stage. ERIC was NOT THERE! AND there was a new drummer. he was good though. and, since i managed to snag the setlist (!!!!!!!!!!!) here are the songs SING METAL NYC ( with Candy Butchers lead singer filling in for eric SPiraling shape!!! Petname XTC (with CB singer replacing eric Dead guy (with puppet heads, and CB singer SPY (with CB singer, and Kurt Hoffman) SHOE! (w kurt hofman) Particle (w/ kurt) ACTUAL SLEEPING ISTAN (with MARK.F on the violin) PURPLE TOUPEE!!!!!!!!!!! OLDER TWISTING POLK WORST ENEMY! I CAN HEAR YOU!!!!!! ( with linnell doing the saxophone part as "aaaAA AAA AAAA" SEXXY (with CB guy) TIL (with CB guy) Flans said "this song is called UNTILL---I MEAN TILL MY HEAD FALLS OFF" LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE! w Kurt.....for this one, fans had "THE STICK", which was just a big stick he thumped into the ground for the song. the crowd was chanting "STICK! STICK! STICK! STICK!" over and over, and flans said "please...hold your applause for the stick untill afyer the sticks performance" he introduced it as "This is.....the stick....cut straight from the woods" when flans got on stage at first he couldnt find it, and was getting pissed off BIRD HOUSE ----this got EVERY ONE INCLUDING ME HOPPING DIG WHERE YOUR EYES DONT GO! "this is an oldie...that we havent performed in 30 years...30 years! 30 years, this evening" GARAGE ----im not sure what this is..i think introducing the band, though they did that a million times anyway SPIDER GUITAR. after the guitar, they did this REALLY SCARY thing...strobe lights were on, and john and john stuck there arms out and swayed back and forth...it was so scary. there was much more banter on stage than at Roseland. also, on my setlistit has a few jokes flans said, and i was wondering if it was his handwriting (it looks like it). one of the things is "No lasers or computerized moving lights were injured during the creation of the light show" and on the 3rd week...(are you ready for this?)....... ITS GONNA BE JUST THEM ON STAGE WITH A DRUM MACHINE! It says on the setlist "3rd-duo with drum machine". linnell said "the 3rd week will have a 30 minute drum machine solo" heehee. oh, and heres one thing.... during one song, i forgot which,linnell announced "MR.FLANSBURGH!" like he was gonna do a solo, but flans was crawling on stage looking for his guitar, and trying to tune it up, and plugging in things. they just continued playing. after the song, we saw flans SCREAMING at this guy back stage!! he was shaking his arms and REALLY pissed off. everyone was screaming "YEAH! TELL IT TO HIM FLANSBURGH!" dreams come true.... at the end of the show, me and my friends waited outside. my name tag had fallen off somewhere. so i was sure i wasnt gonna meet anyone, when someone goes up to me and says "so, your Jordan?" im like.."yes" and she goes "Hi, im Liz" (goodomenz) so for the first time EVER i met someone that i first met online. well, me,liz, my friends, and like 10 other people waited outside for autographs. then,Graham Maby and The new Drummer comes out! they were both really nice. the drummer signed my setlist in crayon, and he signed my FS and John henry covers that i brought with pen. Graham Maby signed my setlist in pen ,signing it-- "GRAHAM MABY!!!" he also signed my FS cover, and he tried to sign my JH cover, but he said "it as too shiny", so he signed the inside lyrics sheet, and drew a happy face :) i showed graham the setlist,and asked if the jokes on it were flans's handwriting, and he said "yeah, i think it is" so thats almost better than an autograph from flans! well, we waited, and we saw LINNELL walking down the hallway!! he came out, big smile. we asked him to sign,and very sorry for us,said "no time. im sorry! bye!" and waved and left. it was still pretty cool. he waved at each of us individually. we waited like 30 minutes for flans, but the guy at the door said he left out a different exit :( oh, and through the show, i KNOW linnell stared at me and my friends like 1000 times. we were in the front row, not in the middle of a big crowd, so i know he saw us at least once. flans was REALLY bored moving the dead guy pupets. and through the rest of the show he was pissed off. when they were done with the first part of the set, linnell happily walked off, while flans stayed on stage looking for things and steamed off. well, i think thats it for now!!! BYE! ------------------------------ From: GuavaBoy9@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 12:06:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208120602_1479829761@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: not TMBG, but list related. Does anyone remember me? I had to be off-line for a long time, because my computer was in the shop. So I didn't get any messages sent to me in the last 2 - 4 weeks. Also, does anyone know anything about this virus on Valentine's day? I was told to delete any mail I got on February 14, so I think it might be a good idea to shut down the list on next friday (2/14). Sorry for any inconvenience ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Message-ID: <19970208.125132.9894.3.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 12:51:31 EST On Sat, 8 Feb 1997 02:04:33 -0500 (EST) CyburDog@aol.com writes: >P.S. Is one of the Johns more lively than the other at the concerts? >just a ? > My personal experience has been that Flans seems to be more active at concerts-he seems to talk more and dance around more (and tells a lot of jokes). :) Jen ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 13:39:06 -0500 Message-Id: <199702081841.3628700@rma.edu> Sounds like flans just didnt have a good night. BTW is anyone going to the Cardigans concert at the 9:30 tonight? Is it still one? Its freakin' SNOWING!!!!!!!! ARGGH!!!!!! --Cpdog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 Home of the Official They Might Be Giants Web Ring ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4mzAfT200iVD82yVkY@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 13:50:07 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) Well, sounds like a really cool show. I hope someone taped it... got a few questions for clarification, etc... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Feb-97 TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!.. by Jordan1c@aol.com > SHOE! (w kurt hofman) what kind of arrangement was this? Sax, accordion, vocals? > ISTAN (with MARK.F on the violin) what version was it like? More like the album, I'd assume... accordion or keyboard? > PURPLE TOUPEE!!!!!!!!!!! i hope john played accordion on this one, but the most recent recording i have of it (10/14/94) uses keyboard... did they do a good job of it? > POLK did they finally play the album version or did linnell pound it out on his keyboard? > LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE! w Kurt.....for this one, fans had "THE STICK", > which was just a big stick he thumped into the ground for the song. the > crowd was chanting "STICK! STICK! STICK! STICK!" over and over, and flans > said "please...hold your applause for the stick untill afyer the sticks > performance" he introduced it as "This is.....the stick....cut straight > from the woods" when flans got on stage at first he couldnt find it, and > was getting pissed off the stick is a very old tradition, actually - they used it in 1987. > WHERE YOUR EYES DONT GO! what arrangement did they do? full version with clarinet intro, keyboard, and guitar ending? or more like the acoustic version they played in 1989/1990? I wish I could have been there... argh. ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 14:02:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208140222_1347241461@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: My First TMBG Dream, but not really I have been really jealous of everyone having these TMBG dreams, so I was determined to have one myself. Well, I kindof did. I had a dream that I had a dream about Them. Doesn't that su*k??? Oh well. Maybe this is the start of something new!??!!! Joel (The Young and The Dreamless) http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970208141438.006e2170@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 14:14:40 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but At 11:38 AM 2/8/97 -0500, Jordan1c@aol.com wrote: >autographs. then,Graham Maby and The new Drummer comes out! they were both >really nice. the drummer signed my setlist in crayon, and he signed my FS and >John henry covers that i brought with pen. Graham Maby signed my setlist in >pen ,signing it-- >"GRAHAM MABY!!!" So if the new drummer signed your setlist, what's his name? (Or is it unintelligible?) Sounds like a very cool show. why can't *I* live in New York, sure they come here but then the shows they do here are just normal... I want really cool shows, like the ones they do in New York. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970208191820.210f811a@email.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 14:18:20 -0500 From: Saurav Bhowmik help ------------------------------ From: Mooseful@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 15:46:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208154609_-1643175957@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: tales from the real world and things Further proof of the universal appeal of tmbg, Part 37, is that even my witchy history teacher, mistress of the disapproving frown, was very impressed by "James K. Polk" which, like so many others before me, I weaseled into a history presentation a while back. Tale number two from the real world...So I'm at school, right, buying a brownie from some dinks having a bake sale in the lobby. And I'm wearing my newly acquired They hat and big cup shirt. So I hand my quarter to this chick, see, and she says to me, she says something to the effect of "so I have a question...how similar are They Might Be Giants and the Ginblossoms? like, are tmbg...harder?" You can guess how taken aback I was. From the way she asked the question I gathered that this was an attempt to settle some sort of ongoing dispute. I proceeded to swallow the words "What in the fuck are you talking about?" which were creeping up my vocal cords, and I tried to explain in fifty words or less the ginormous difference between the two, both of which I happen to think are quite wonderful with the caveat that, well, duh, the ginblossoms have nowhere near the god status of TMBG in my mind. my effort was mostly successful except for one minor flaw; I found myself having to use the word "weird" to describe Them. Ah well, such is the spreading of TMBG gospel. Mirthfully, a wigged-out Moose with bread on top. Excuse my loopiness, I've had to inhale paint fumes all day. But now my room is blue. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FCA4C6.155B@ou.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 16:07:34 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: with sugar on top? Hey!!! How can I get a copy of the Irving Plaza show?! Must.. have... tape.... please? Heather ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 16:03:57 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199702082103.QAA26348@CLEMSON.EDU> From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but At 01:50 PM 2/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >Well, sounds like a really cool show. I hope someone taped it... Me too! I really hope there's a tape tree or something that comes out of this, or someone presses a CD. This sounds incredible, and I think there'll be a lot of other rabid fans looking for copies too. :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /========================================\ Adam Tyner 0- ctyner@awod.com http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ Home of He-Man, Weird Al, MST3K, and more! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Band Expirations Message-ID: <19970208.124104.7983.1.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 16:24:17 EST Is there some kind of rule that TMBG has, that the back-up band members cannot stay for more than 3 years? Tony Maimone - 1992-1995 Brian Doherty - 1993-1996 Eric Shammmarhorn - 1996-1996 - not really complaining about this one.... Don't even start on Kurt Hoffman, and the horn players, cause they weren't on the FS tour except for NYC dates. Larry "I use antlers in all of my decorating." - Gaston, "Beauty and the Beast" http://members.aol.com/garit1997 - My Complete Bootleg Collection =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =0 =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) =) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702082135.QAA21367@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: with sugar on top? (Irving Plaza concert(s)) Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 16:40:41 -0500 > Hey!!! How can I get a copy of the Irving Plaza show?! > Must.. have... tape.... I will not make this a "Me too" post. I will not make this a "Me too" post. Ditto. I mean, I, too, would like a copy of the first Irving Plaza show (and those to follow). My tape list is online at http://udel.edu/~spike/tapes.html ... If the tape sounds excellent, I will trade 2:1 (or maybe even better) for them. Were concert-goers searched as they entered the Plaza? BTW - I will trade 4:1 for anyone who has a copy of 12/30/95 at the Troc in Philly... -= Harlan Landes - spike@udel.edu =- -= http://tamos.gmu.edu/~harlan/ =- -================================- Next Stop: Irving Plaza, Feb. 21 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:02:28 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208170227_444308835@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "the acoustic guitar never did anybody no harm - no how." >Take purple toupee (sp?) for example, half of them probably >don't understand that he's not talkin about some ol lady named >selma but in fact the town in alabama. Now see, I didn't even know that. What, am I suddenly a ditz? >The type that if the bully next store wet with a water gun >they are the ones who fuckin scream and cry and yell about >how there not allowed to get wet. You know, I reread this and reread this, and I cannot understand a word of it. >All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way >too much fuckin time on their hands. Shut the fuck up you gay >assholes and learn to like it. Oh, I see we have another homophobe on our hands... Oh, and nice grammar too... people that are not anti-eric should learn to like him? Well, I think that's what makes them not anti-eric. :) >P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a >TMBG mosh pit. How about getting into a few wild bands ya That's true, mr. philosopher-of-the-world. But ya better get yer facts straight. Maybe that's because WE aren't fans of ~moshing~. Yes! Save your moshing for your little Marylin Manson concerts, okay? Even TMBG themselves don't like the idea of moshing at their shows. >primadonna DICK JAWS. Dick jaws? >See you pussies at Irving. I want to know what makes you "not a pussy"? Just curious, what makes you so high and mighty? That you mosh? There's some cred among us. No seriously, WHAT DOES make you far superior than everyone else? (re: all tmbg fan girls are 14 year olds who get rides): I'm 15 for your information, hah! :) Another 7 months till I can legally drive, but another couple years till I probably will - but what's wrong with getting rides? I'm sure I'm sorry, but you make no sense! >But, as for errors, what other *error* memorabilia of TMBG's >do you know? On the 3 song SEXXY ep, they forgot the // on the web address. :) I think. Or was it the : ..... sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal/tmbgkevin.gif (Kevin of KITH wearing a TMBG shirt!) ------------------------------ From: TmbgManiac@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:07:29 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208180728_-1308506738@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: FS error I saw an error on the FS lyric box about the song "Its Your Own Worst Enemy" In the song says "and the person inside said nobody's home" But in the Lyric Box it says "the sign inside said" ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:15:01 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208181501_137424441@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) the drummer's new name is.... Dan Hickey. they kept saying he was there NEW drummer, so what happened with brian? he was coo. though dan was really good, and nice too. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970208182518.006a0ca0@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 18:25:20 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but At 06:15 PM 2/8/97 -0500, you wrote: >the drummer's new name is.... >Dan Hickey. > >they kept saying he was there NEW drummer, so what happened with brian? he >was >coo. though dan was really good, and nice too. > >Jordan > > better than brian, or could you even tell? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:34:37 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970208183252_507583438@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) ok, i dont know how well ill answer these questions---- > SHOE! (w kurt hofman) what kind of arrangement was this? Sax, accordion, vocals?<< kurt was on sax, the new drummer was on glockenspiel,linnell had his accordian. they sung it just like on teh album, flans,linnell,both > ISTAN (with MARK.F on the violin) what version was it like? More like the album, I'd assume... accordion or keyboard?<< it was a really long fast violin solo in the beginning. it was the keyboard. > PURPLE TOUPEE!!!!!!!!!!! i hope john played accordion on this one, but the most recent recording i have of it (10/14/94) uses keyboard... did they do a good job of it?<< no! john didnt play accordian for it! keyboard, and they did an excellent job of it. anbd the most recent recording you said is from the Live in ny album,so i would say they did it good. everyone was just so happy > POLK did they finally play the album version or did linnell pound it out on his keyboard?<< you guessed it. more keyboard pounding, and "lala"'s for all! > LIE STILL LITTLE BOTTLE! w Kurt.....for this one, fans had "THE STICK", > which was just a big stick he thumped into the ground for the song. the > crowd was chanting "STICK! STICK! STICK! STICK!" over and over, and flans > said "please...hold your applause for the stick untill after the sticks > performance" he introduced it as "This is.....the stick....cut straight > from the woods" when flans got on stage at first he couldnt find it, and > was getting pissed off the stick is a very old tradition, actually - they used it in 1987.<< well i did not know that. i dont think getting pissed about not finding it is a tradition though. towards the end of the concert, the crowd was chanting "STICK!" again for no reason, and linnell was laughing. Flans was still a little peaved though. > WHERE YOUR EYES DONT GO! what arrangement did they do? full version with clarinet intro, keyboard, and guitar ending? or more like the acoustic version they played in 1989/1990?<< it was with the keyboard,i dont know about the clarinet intro. i really dont remember...get a boot man! i know i am! that rhymes....sort of...i mean "an" and "am" are 2 different sounds,but they have "A"s so---:::SMACK::::: >> I wish I could have been there... argh. << EVERYONE HERE HAS TO BE AT THE 21st SHOW!!!! ITS JUST GONNA BE THE DUO WITH A DRUM MACHINE!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702090008.TAA19673@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 19:09:59 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Welcome Back Chainsaw Kitten! Anyone else plan to go to the Toad's Place show on the 20th? Unfortunatly, I can't make this wonderful 21st show, and if anyone else comes to the Toad's concert, we can feel like Dick Jaws and Buttknobs together. I read all the posts about Brian being gone while listening to Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm. Kinda sad. I'm pretty pissed off. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\____________________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~ Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| "Wake up when you're dead. Pigs are sheep and cats are dogs and thoughts are made of Lincoln Logs. To tend to the mice and wood, where black is blue and bad is good." -Meat Puppets ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 8 Feb 97 21:00 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG cartoon Although I have admit >that there has never been a good cartoon about a popular(or semi-popular) >musical artist. For instance: California Raisins, Chipmonks, Monkees, and >(choke, hack, cough) Hammerman. Let's not forget New Kids On the Block. (No, I never actually *watched* it, I just saw the commercials) Kirsten (who is happy to say she never bought a NKOTB album) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 8 Feb 97 21:13 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) >EVERYONE HERE HAS TO BE AT THE 21st SHOW!!!! ITS JUST GONNA BE THE DUO WITH A >DRUM MACHINE!!!!!!!!!! *sob* Why do I live in Michigan? Why? *Why?!* Well, I guess I'm just going to have to hold my breath and stamp my feet until someone gets me a boot of this. Kirsten (who is convinced that the gods hate her) -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970208204745.006d1670@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 20:47:45 -0600 From: ishmael Subject: TMBG: jealousy... i can't even begin to tell all you new yorkers and people who are going to the 21st irving plaza show how jealous i am. it isn't enough that it's a they might be giants show. it just happens to have brian dewan opening for Them, who i've wanted to see for about 4 years now. it also has chainsaw kittens opening, one of my favorite bands ever, who i've also never had a chance to see. they are incredible and hopefully everyone who goes will like them. (be nice to them!!). and to top it off they're playing the show as a duo. something that i'll probably never get a chance to see. incredible... hmmm... texas isn't that far away from new york... class isn't that important... i can miss for a week or two while i drive to new york... rabidchild (paul) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FD4954.548E@trib.infi.net> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 22:49:40 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: Heya Listies! Hey guys this post is to let you know, that CDs of ther best of We Might Be Giants, Too, the unofficial They Might Be Giants Cover Compilation, will not be $45 as originally thought, instead they will only be around $10, this is probably a huge sigh of releif to alot of you, and I just thought I'd post a note to you on this. Visit the Official Site for this non-Official Tape!! http://wemightbegiantstoo.home.ml.org Thanks!! -- ______________________________________________________ Matthew Ondrey Boba@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~Theybootlegs/boba.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 23:06:52 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Nixon's The One Message-Id: Just a note saying that a different version of Nixon's The One (well, different than 'Unsupervised' anyway) is up as this week's DAS @ tmbg.com... TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 23:10:18 -0500 (EST) From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: We Might Be Giants Too Message-Id: $10...that's incredible!!! I'm definitely going to get WMBGT on CD and cassette then... Anyway, is it OK if I ask how you're getting them so cheap? I'm wondering because I think it would be great to get the "Weird Al" tribute album, Prosthetic Lips, on CD too... Joe Krause (gjnn52b@prodigy.com) is the person in charge of that, btw. TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ Looking for He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and MST3K? Then go to http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FD701D.77A@fastrans.net> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 22:35:09 -0800 From: me Organization: milk Subject: Re:TMBG:IRVING PLAZA A tape would be nice.... Aarti ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 00:11:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970209001124_1627105459@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders I went to the Larry Sanders web site at HBO.com and one of the features is a list of all the shows from this season. One of the episodes is the one that TMBG appeared on, its title is "Call me Rabbi Asher." When you click on it a picture of the show will appear and John Flansburg is on it playing his guitar. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-39 *****************************