Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 4 Sunday, 5 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Show 1 of 2 at Mississippi Nights TMBG: Re: Show 1 of 2 at Mississippi Nights TMBG: FS Tour Bootlegs For Trade Here! TMBG: I put a rock, in the coffee in your coffee mug TMBG: Ypsi show info Re: TMBG: Shirts TMBG: welcome to factory/mustache Re: TMBG: what beavis and butthead would think.... Re: TMBG: what beavis and butthead would think.... Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! TMBG: Odd S~E~X~X~Y mix NON TMBG: A harsh reply to a harsh letter TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo Re: TMBG: the OMLT, again Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PACQUISTO@aol.com Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 02:48:53 -0500 Message-ID: <970104024852_779218543@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Show 1 of 2 at Mississippi Nights Nitpick and I saw TMBG tonight at Mississippi in St. Louis. We also saw Ellen from the list there. We recorded the remaining fingertips randomly from various people waiting outside and we got Graham Maby to do one and some guy who did an almost identical version of corridors. We got to talk to Graham and Brian before the show and they signed the poster I got from someone for free and both of our shoes. The show was excellant except for Adam(Nitpick) getting kicked out less than half way through the set for recording. Oh well, there's still tomorrow. At least he could hear the show outside and he got a couple of good pictures, well I hope they turned out good. I got the set list,so here it is as written: OLDER END POLK/SUN TWIST SLEEP SHOE SNAIL SPDR/GTR "F*S" "F*S" GIRL SEXXY WORST BIRD/DIG XTC _________________ MAYBE LOST METAL SPY---------->FLANS CONDUCT-------> SANTA ISTAN PARTICLE NYC ENSOR TIL PET ANA/ACTUAL I hope tomorrow is just as beautiful of a show and hopefully better for Adam who flew from Orlando to see it. nick ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 02:15:47 -0600 From: Mitch Fishman Message-ID: <32CE11B3.513B@tmbg.org> Organization: Illin Illini Subject: TMBG: Re: Show 1 of 2 at Mississippi Nights 1) I saw the 'stache 2) Flans talked about a new album tentatively titled "thing" that they're gonna start recording. C) Why must that kid yell "play stairway to heaven" every chance he got? what a wonderful show! -- --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== Mitch Fishman e-mail: mitch@tmbg.org home page: http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mfishman talk or cooltalk: mitch@isr1013.urh.uiuc.edu --=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-==--=-=-=-== ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: FS Tour Bootlegs For Trade Here! Message-ID: <19970104.082335.3559.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 12:01:44 EST Hi folks! It's that time to put up some of my Factory Showroom tour audio bootlegs for trade. Here they are: 9/8/96 - St. Louis, MO - Modern Rock Live instudio - 45min 9/9/96 - Boston, MA - Hatch Shell - 80min 9/19/96 - Hollywood, CA - The House of Blues - 90min - Master 9/23/96 - Charlottesville, VA - 90min 9/25/96 - New York City, NY - Mercury Lounge - 80min 9/28/96 - Providence, RI - Brown University - 100min 10/04/96 - Gainesville FL - Alachua County Fairgrounds - 70 min 10/05/96 - Jacksonville, FL - Milkbar - 20 min - the one where Linnell gets sick 10/14/96 - Washington, D.C., - Taste Of D.C. - 90 min 10/16/96 - Toronto, ON - CFNY instudio - 30min 10/26/96 - Madison, WI - John Linnell interview with Aaron Kohlbeck - 30min 11/7/96 - New York City, NY - Tower Records instore - 45min 11/8/96 - New York City, NY - Roseland - 90min 11/15/96 - Salt Lake City, UT - WEND instudio - 25min 11/15/96 - Salt Lake City, UT - Utah State fairgrounds - Horticulture building - 80min - no encores because Flans fell down 11/20/96 - San Francisco, CA - Hotwired interview (RealAudio) - 90min - insightful chat with Flans (Linnell was eating dinner) 11/22/96 - Los Angeles, CA - Aron's Records instore - 40min 11/22/96 - Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theater - 90min - Master 11/29/96 - Minneapolis, MN - Let It Be Records instore - 40min 11/30/96 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave - 90min 12/4/96 - Cleveland, OH - The Agora Theatre - 90min 12/27/96 - Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club - 90min To trade, I'm looking for other TMBG, Ben Folds Five, Moxy Fruvous, and Barenaked Ladies tapes, audio or video! Feel free to drop me a line! Larry "Let's make Friday part of a weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 13:55:40 -0500 Message-ID: <970104135539_944433749@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I put a rock, in the coffee in your coffee mug >Ana Ng (Flans sang the "bridge" part in high falsetto) I LOVE that freaking part. :D Does anyone else here agree with me that the one on the actual *album* kinda sounds like Courtney Love? That's always who I picture saying it when I listen to it. :) >If it wasn't the only decent station in the area, I would boycot >it. Doesn't sound decent to me, bashing TMBG...If you want a decent station (and I'm proud to plug it!), and if you don't live here (I believe only 3 of us actually do, 4 including Shep), you can listen to it via Real Audio! :) http://wber.monroe.edu. C'mon TMBGers! Give it a listen! :) What other station would pick TMBG as their big-concert-of-the-year-group-to-raise-$-for-the-station band? :) >FLANSBURGH IS GROWING A MOUSTACHE!!!!!!!!! Mr. Moustache-- oops, that's a Nirvana song.. I was thinking of Mr. Me.. sorry.. :) Hee hee, so I wasn't the only one who noticed... I thought it was just seeing them in person....(and being so amazingly CLOSE!) :) I love Garit's LA instore video of Them when he does the closeups, and you can also see Flans' facial hair. :) >Actually, it was a rather light object, and it missed Flans by >about two feet, but the show was cut short. :( No-- it hit him alright.. :T I keep replaying it in my head (Jordan, you were right ) and I keep seing him just... no, trust me---it hit him.. >Don't trust the other people, damnit, I was closer! :) No, dammit! :D *I* was closer! *I* was a *foot* away from Flans' lovely red guitar each time he stepped to the edge of the stage!!! :D I have WITNESSES! Well, I don't know who they *are*...but those lovely TMBG fans next to me throughout the show I'm sure would agree... :) sarah <--now listening to Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 15:42:21 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: TMBG: Ypsi show info I am hoping against hope to get to the show in Ypsilanti on February 19. The only listing of the show I found was at Pollstar. No TicketBastard sightings. I can probably get an EMU box office number if necessary, but I wondered first if and how anyone else has gotten tickets so far. Schanksh for the help. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 12:15:46 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG: Shirts >> > your letterbox tomorrow" Then the address, majordomo@tmbg.org > >> that's cool, but we'd have to change the address on there to >> tmbg-list@tmbg.org. Also, was World's Address on the front or was > >no, the address would stay the same. if they want info, it's The appropriate address would be tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org because it actually gives info on the list. The majordomo address gives more general info on the list server. Also, I believe part of the idea was to have the web site address on the shirt as well. -- Jonathan Chaffer Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ ftp/finger (My Mac): tmbg.reshall.umich.edu "Nate, with my brains and your flexibility, we could rule the world!" --Me "Duty now, Spud." --Gnl. Boy "It's a rock gyro thing." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 16:42:23 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32CECEBF.3770@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: TMBG: welcome to factory/mustache Russ Josephson 516-4722 , 303 wrote: > (Flansburg sings a song in high falsetto voice: > Welcome to the factory > Let us show you around... > (he sang this first part earlier in the show, too) > Eric's on vacation in Hawaii, and normally plays this song > He's on vacation, but we have to work > We're dedicating this one to him > But we don't know why) Flans sang something like that at the 9:30 Club concert too! I think he also said something like "XTC's a band, Adam Ant's a man". Does anyone know whether it's going to become a regular part of the show, or what the lyrics are? Also... is Flans REALLY growing a mustache? Not just forgetting to shave or something? Wow, then we could identify him as "the John with the mustache", instead of just using the glasses to identify him all the time. Maybe Robin (Robyn?) is making him grow it. :) -Mismirilda ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 16:46:53 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32CECFCD.6905@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: TMBG: what beavis and butthead would think.... Can't you just see Beavis & Butthead headbanging to the beginning of Ana Ng? (Liz made that up, so give her all the credit) They'd probably also be impressed by the exploding accordian. "Heh heh, whoa! He blew up that squeezy-thingy!" "Huhuh, you said 'thingy'!" -Mismirilda ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:47:46 -0500 Message-ID: <970104184745_1889935462@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: what beavis and butthead would think.... << Can't you just see Beavis & Butthead headbanging to the beginning of Ana Ng? (Liz made that up, so give her all the credit) They'd probably also be impressed by the exploding accordian. "Heh heh, whoa! He blew up that squeezy-thingy!" "Huhuh, you said 'thingy'!" >> Yeah, they'd probably like the "Don't Let's Start" dance, too. I seem to recall reading somewhere that B & B did show a bit of "Ana Ng" and decided it "sucked." Never saw it, though--I'd love a more specific account! Kay ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:20:56 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! Message-ID: > >Another track goes something like this: > > > >"She bit my ear > > And said 'Fuck me' > > But that's what I thought > > I was doing." > > Wow, actually I am quite shocked to hear that they would condone such > language. One reason I like TMBG is because they don't need to swear to get > attention and make a sound good. At my school we aren't aloud to wear music > shirts, but I talked to the dean and leant him Apolo and FS and JH so that > he could listen to Them and see that they are a good non-swearing or talking > about sex kind of band and he made it offical TMBG shirst are aloud. So the > only music shirt aloud at my school is TMBG. I was really proud of myself. > So to hear such words kind of confuse me. Oh well. > Well, perhaps your school should be more concerned with teaching spelling and grammar than with banning music shirts. And I can think of worse things than bands who swear or talk about sex. I think that banning music shirts is a censorious, controlling act that wrongly limits your expression of personal freedom, and displays an unrealistic idea of the part that school plays in one's life. You should be more concerned about the ways in which your school system is attempting to exert undue intellectual force upon you than about whether or not an artist who contributes to the Hello club lets out a few profanities or sexual references. Clearly you've got to be open to new creative ideas if you listen to TMBG, but this goes against the idea that you'd place restrictions on subject matter that TMBG ought to or ought not to deal with. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* ----------------------------- Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy Sort of like smashing yourself in the face 30 or 40 times ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 00:39:49 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Odd S~E~X~X~Y mix Message-ID: I was in a convience store....when what do I hear over the radio? SEXXY! I asked the clerk what station the intercom system was tuned to, and went to listen to it in mah cah.....It was a dance mix, but it wasn't the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix...pretty kewl regardless. --Jack...they're never coming to Norfuck, are they? Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg In the CD Changer: XTC: Nonsuch, They Might Be Giants: Misc. T, Frank Black: Frank Black, Various: The Glory of Gershwin, Warren Zevon: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (2 disc set) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701050613.AAA07624@atlantis.nconnect.net> Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 00:16:47 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter J. Kesting) Subject: NON TMBG: A harsh reply to a harsh letter Ok, well I go to a private school, they do what they like. The reason for the restrictions are someone coming to school with Marlyn Mansion shirts. My school doesn't care about personal freedom, they care about instruction us for the Word and steering us to professions in the Word of Christ (being a pastor or teacher). My spelling and grammar are mediocer, but then again I didn't know I was to be put to the grammar magnifying glass. I thought I was sending a friendly letter to a bunch of friends and I don't appreciate being castized for my grammar. Ok there are worse things than bands that swear or talk about sex, but does that make it alright? Personal freedom can be expressed in other ways than going against what God says. And if yourself can be best expressed by vulgarity or sex than I think we have some serious thinking to do. You say that I must be creative to listen to TMBG, well I think I am, but does creative mean you must accept vulgarity and embrace sex? I think I can be creative with out going against God. I am sorry for this letter is sort of mean spirited, but when you start dissing my school in one way or another you are dissing my god, that ticks me off. > Well, perhaps your school should be more concerned with teaching >spelling and grammar than with banning music shirts. And I can think of >worse things than bands who swear or talk about sex. I think that banning >music shirts is a censorious, controlling act that wrongly limits your >expression of personal freedom, and displays an unrealistic idea of the >part that school plays in one's life. You should be more concerned about >the ways in which your school system is attempting to exert undue >intellectual force upon you than about whether or not an artist who >contributes to the Hello club lets out a few profanities or sexual >references. Clearly you've got to be open to new creative ideas if you >listen to TMBG, but this goes against the idea that you'd place >restrictions on subject matter that TMBG ought to or ought not to deal >with. > > MIKe > *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* > ----------------------------- > Mr. Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! > ---> http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy > Sort of like smashing yourself in the face 30 or 40 times %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% (__) (oo) \/-------\ || | \ ||----W| * Cow King Peter Kesting cowking@nconnect.net http://www.nconnect.net/~cowking/ "I fart in your general direction" --Monty Python ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: java.mail: I declare that I'm one too/Hey Leo Message-ID: <19970104.003250.3430.5.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 01:35:04 EST On Thu, 02 Jan 1997 19:23:02 -0500 Evan Chakroff writes: >I declare myself Supreme High Ruler Of Collection Of Possible Shirt >Designs Well, then, I declare myself Supreme High Poo-bah of Collection of Possible List Names, and Mega-High Grand Java.Ruler of List Name Voting. Hey, Leo, if you happen to catch this (and I hope you should since I'm sending a direct copy to you), we're all wondering what your opinion on the list naming is. Tim Lloyd java.man@juno.com When they ask him, "What other planet features this," he replies, "What other planet!" ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: the OMLT, again Message-ID: <19970104.003250.3430.4.java.man@juno.com> From: java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 01:35:04 EST Yowza. This got sent to some guy at tmbg@juno.com 'cause my Juno email program wasn't working right. --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: tmbg@juno.com (JAY N MITCHELL) To: java.man@juno.com ? no co n'pend, da' Jay Mitchell On Fri, 03 Jan 1997 19:56:59 EST java.man@juno.com (Tim B Lloyd) writes: >>So, what do you folks think? Are you ready to bear proudly the >>standard of >>the mailing list you love so much? All in favor, please signify by >>clucking >>like a chicken. All opposed, get up and do a silly dance. > >Even though I think people who wear shirts relating to the Internet >are dweebs...(no offense meant to all the dweebs) > >Buck-buck-buck-b'gawk! Buck-buck-b'gawk! > > >Tim Lloyd >java.man@juno.com >When they ask him, "What other planet features this," he replies, >"What other planet!" --------- End forwarded message ---------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-4 ****************************