Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-40 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 40 Monday, 10 February 1997 Today's Topics: Re:TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live Re: TMBG: not TMBG, but list related. Re: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live Non-TMBG: Virus Bullshit Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Re: [Fwd: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live] TMBG: TMBG Cartoon TMBG: Ypsilanti show- 1 ticket for sale Re: TMBG: TMBG Cartoon TMBG: Web Site Updates Re: TMBG: TMBG Cartoon TMBG: Re: jealousy to all IP-goers TMBG: TMBG movie TMBG: commence official interplary exploration TMBG: Stupid question. TMBG: Random Irving Plaza thoughts. TMBG: Tribute tape Re: TMBG: Tribute tape Re: TMBG: Random Irving Plaza thoughts. Re: TMBG: Tribute tape Re: [Fwd: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live] TMBG: Re: Band Expirations TMBG: Irving Plaza shows... TMBG: How To Have A TMBG Dream (long) TMBG: Valentine's Day at the Irving Plaza! =) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 02:55:19 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: Re:TMBG: IRVING PLAZA!!!!!!!!!!! (REALLY LONG...but interesting) Message-ID: >lead "singer" spit water into the audience, said "FUCK YOU!" god knows It was beer. ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:00:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970209080007_1580559323@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live I was watching Saturday Night Live last night (yes I realize it isn't as funny as it once was...ok it REALLY isn't as funny as it once was) and David Spade was part of the host's monologue. When the camra man did a close-up of him, I thought he looked A LOT like Linnell, but blonde. Any one else think so? -phurr ------------------------------ From: Phurr@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:48:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970209084811_1146559730@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: not TMBG, but list related. In a message dated 97-02-08 13:21:58 EST, GuavaBoy9@aol.com writes: << Does anyone remember me? I had to be off-line for a long time, because my computer was in the shop. So I didn't get any messages sent to me in the last 2 - 4 weeks. Also, does anyone know anything about this virus on Valentine's day? I was told to delete any mail I got on February 14, so I think it might be a good idea to shut down the list on next friday (2/14). Sorry for any inconvenience >> I heard abouth that, too, but I thought the only way you can get a virus is to download something that happens to contain a virus. But, what do I know. ------------------------------ From: TMBGGuy@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:51:58 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970209085155_1895042483@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live In a message dated 2/9/1997 8:02:35 AM, Phurr wrote: >DavidSpade was part of the host's monologue. When the camra man did a close->up ofhim, I thought he looked A LOT like Linnell, but blonde. Any one else think >so? I saw it, but I didn't think he look like Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970209101944.0068500c@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 10:19:50 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Virus Bullshit ><< Does anyone remember me? I had to be off-line for a long time, because my > computer was in the shop. So I didn't get any messages sent to me in the > last 2 - 4 weeks. Also, does anyone know anything about this virus on > Valentine's day? I was told to delete any mail I got on February 14, so I > think it might be a good idea to shut down the list on next friday (2/14). > Sorry for any inconvenience >> You can't get a virus from email. (not like that anyway) Just don't worry about it. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 12:32:36 -0500 From: Mismirilda Message-ID: <32FE0A34.3690@erols.com> Organization: EROL'S Subject: Re: TMBG: don't lets start backwards. Christopher Sexton wrote: > > I was just playing don't lets start backwards (so I had nothing to do, >OK!) and it sounds like Linnel is saying "screw a bagel on a nest". Is >it just me or do you guys think that They are trying to sublimnaly >program us? In Istanbul he also says "Screw with bagels". Do we detect a theme here? What's he trying to do to the nations's youth! Oh, the horror, the horror... BTW, in Birdhouse he says "I heard gold good looking". And the broom says "Muoy poosh nam leia", which must be one of those aliens from Star Wars putting moves on Luke's sister. ;) -Mismi ------------------------------ Subject: Re: [Fwd: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live] Message-ID: <19970209.135137.5439.1.Rutherford@juno.com> From: rutherford@juno.com (Eric W Rutherford) Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 12:50:28 EST On Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:49:38 -0500 John Drauss writes: >This is a multi-part message in MIME format. > >--------------7ABE4B002134 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > >The morons on the tmbg list also feel the need to mention >things like this: > >--------------7ABE4B002134 >Content-Type: message/rfc822 >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit >Content-Disposition: inline > >>From ussodyssey.ufp.org!owner-tmbg-list Sun Feb 9 07:58:22 1997 >Return-Path: >Received: from ussodyssey.ufp.org by mail.oeonline.com with smtp > (Smail3.1.28.1 #3) id m0vtYok-0003C0a; Sun, 9 Feb 97 07:57 EST >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id >IAA12617 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:00:48 -0500 >From: Phurr@aol.com >Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:00:10 -0500 (EST) >Message-ID: <970209080007_1580559323@emout11.mail.aol.com> >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: Phurr@aol.com >X-UIDL: 3d7e6add90abdd22b71f7c50480e2109 >X-Mozilla-Status: 0000 > >I was watching Saturday Night Live last night (yes I realize it isn't >as >funny as it once was...ok it REALLY isn't as funny as it once was) and >David >Spade was part of the host's monologue. When the camra man did a >close-up of >him, I thought he looked A LOT like Linnell, but blonde. Any one >else think >so? > >-phurr > > > >--------------7ABE4B002134-- > > Jesus! These people need lives, but of course we know what TMBG fans are like. It's sad really. We should try and help them out maybe. All most of them, males and females, need is a good ladyfriend. The trials and tribulations of disaffected youth can be so difficult sometimes. - e. ------------------------------ From: "Jim Warner" Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 00:21:28 +0000 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cartoon Message-ID: <1356624508-31066326@mssm.lcs.k12.me.us> I heard the discussion about having a TMBG cartoon. I must admit, that would rock significantly. Let us remember that the Johns have experience beiing cartoon characters from their appearance on Tiny Toon Adventures. They did look good as cartoons, indeed. --Jim ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FE233A.4AB2@wwnet.com> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 14:19:22 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: Ypsilanti show- 1 ticket for sale Through an unforeseen event, I have one unspoken-for ticket to the Ypsilanti Show on Wednesday the 19th. If anyone wants it, email me. it'll cost $12. The seats are 6th row. I'll be going with two friends, neither of which are huge TMBG fans. So if you're on this list, you can sit next to me and sing along with the songs. If no one claims them by Tuesday I'll sell them to another non-tmbg-addicted friend, but I remember someone wanting a ticket to the show, I think it was someone from Ohio. If he/she would like to go, get in touch with me. Dwayne Stange dstange@wwnet.com drummer with Six Floors, the Pink Stones and the Ann Arbor Crack Attack ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:52:30 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Cartoon Message-ID: On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Jim Warner wrote: > I heard the discussion about having a TMBG cartoon. I must admit, > that would rock significantly. Let us remember that the Johns have > experience beiing cartoon characters from their appearance on Tiny > Toon Adventures. They did look good as cartoons, indeed. > > --Jim > Ahhh....but flansburg was represented as a pig. It was hardly flattering. And Linnel a duck--maybe because of his voice?? Olivia ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970209200444.008e3f30@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 15:04:44 -0500 From: Leo Bicknell Subject: TMBG: Web Site Updates A few updates on the web site, both documented in http://www.tmbg.org/announcments.html: New photos have been added to the fan photo section. A live chat with John and John is being put on by Irving Plaza, chech out www.irvingplaza.com for more information. The chat will be at 7PM EST on Feburary 11th. -- Leo Bicknell bicknell@ufp.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970209151027.006fe8b4@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 15:10:27 -0500 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Cartoon :tRN^o_}i|Yacz +ZY~|eoOa$ec{!ane_cineaA`+zP~eiyO~j "U2`v\`mzcSwKyPSnrIE.yAR~e+/c':X-N-A`jjmcvStunrLi!iUhoC-|-cir`iE^RCoCc.~N)oN'~hhv'rciUazkhoCoE^-cY|i:iE.h`%cBeHA`2ceajw_cb2azryehOSuu(+!N22(!'ci ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: jealousy to all IP-goers Message-ID: <19970209.142429.18286.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (I have no Name) Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 16:25:20 EST >i can't even begin to tell all you new yorkers and people who are going to the 21st >irving plaza show how jealous i am. it isn' t enough that it's a tmbg show. it just >happens to have brian dewan opening for Them. who i've wanted to see for about 4 >years now. well...all i have to say is that i agree totally with that. Here i am in Denver, and yes They came on January 2 and then like 4 years ago, but the concerts are nothing like what you have decribed for the upcoming IP shows... i am soooo jealous!!!! To make it even worse.... 2 years ago Meat Puppets came with STP (my fav band at the time---> what was i thinking???) anyways, i bought my ticket and was all psyched to see the show when my mom comes up and is like "oooh, Meat Puppets... they're my favorite band" she takes my tikect from me and goes to the concert WITH my friends. Is that not awful??? So, i too, have never seen brian dewan!! totally random question of the day: did the johns grow up in Brookline, MA or Lincoln , MA???? what's the deal I've heard both places and i dunno which one is corect!! help! No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful, they want what they're not and I wish they would stop.... JODA (Jordan) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 17:12:19 -0500 (EST) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: TMBG movie Message-ID: Does anyone have They Might Be Giants, the movie with George C. Scott that would be willing to send me a copy? ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 17:30:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970209173000_541222648@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: commence official interplary exploration >h well. Maybe they're in "John Order" which is something way >above us which the Johns invented and we have no hope of >ever understanding that it's what the Johns intended (And >frankly that's good enough for me). It was a mistake. I read somewhere.. (the faq maybe), that John Flans typed them up at his job, but got distracted and typed them in the wrong order. > This makes me think; wouldn't a TMBG cartoon be just >incredibly cool? Yeah, there's a compilation in progress, eh? Cuper? Ya there? How's it comin' along? >I think I had a TMBG dream last night. Me too! :D Sorta, it was a TMBG/BNL dream. Well, any of you familiar with the Barenaked Ladies' live shows, know that they hilariously ramble on between - and even in the middle of - songs. And usually, one or a couple of the other band members go about playing their instruments in the background. Well, I had a dream that BNL and TMBG did a concert together, and Ed and Steve (of BNL) went rambling. Jim (of BNL) was playing his bass, and Linnell joined in on the keyboard. And Flansburgh got pissed because they wouldn't shut up. I think that was the closest thing to a cool dream I've ever had. ------------------------------ From: Michael.N.Piastowski@lawrence.edu Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 16:30:13 -0600 (CST) Subject: TMBG: Stupid question. Message-id: <01IF7VRN4DVQ9KXPAW@lawrence.edu> I have been out of town for a while and I have a simple question. Is the boxed set, I believe it is called "THe Early Years", still due out this month and if so, when?? Mike P. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702092345.SAA21149@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 97 18:48:17 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Random Irving Plaza thoughts. Hiya all, I'm gonna ramble. First, I >did< tape the show, and got a pretty good recording. Anyone who wants to trade, e-mail me personally. I probably won't respond until after the third show, though. Dan Hickey seemed pretty cool, and had a very Doherty-like hairdo. I thought it WAS Brian for the first two songs. The whole dummy-head "Exquisite Dead Guy" thing was hilarious. Experience it for yourselves, people... Opening bands: Candy Butchers; very jangly pop, lots o' fun. I might get their CD if they have one. Speedball Baby, on the other hand, sucked in a big big way. The "singer" even spat beer on the crowd! Twice! SUPER ROCK! I think someone in the crowd tried to hit him. Good. Best Thing: Lead singer attempted to crowd surf, but jumped in and NOBODY HELD HIM UP. He went straight to the floor. Big Laffs all around. Flans was really really really pissed at his guitar tech. First, the Stick (!!!) gave out halfway through "Lie Still...", then his spare guitar was totally dead for "Birdhouse." There's a little door off stage right where the tech guys stay during the show, and Flans opened it repeatedly, screaming and gesticulating wildly. Bonus chestnut: before the guitar solo in "Birdhouse" Linnell sometimes yells "Mr Flansburgh!" Well he did, and Flans wasn't even really on stage. Graham looked like he was going to keel over in laughter. I felt kinda bad for Flans, but it was fun to watch. (Sorry, Flans.) Where Your Eyes Don't Go! Purple Toupee! Shoehorn With Teeth! PEOPLE! Gather that psychic energy and force TMBG to play a special all-Lincoln show. (It's my fave TMBG album. I know opinions are like that troll (ie, a**holes) but I can't deny it.) RE: 21st show: If the John/John/drum machine thing is true, you'll see me explode with delight in the balcony. It would be a refreshing change of pace. (Plus my begging for Minimum Wage might come to an end. Wow.) That's all for now. See y'all at the next two. Tom Pooh Head Bucket Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702092350.SAA21362@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 97 18:53:13 EDT From: "Pooh Head Bucket?" Subject: TMBG: Tribute tape Incidentally, (and sorry for the second post), PLEASE if you've reserved a slot on the "We Might Be Giants, Too" compilation send in your songs! We're all getting antsy and want to hear the dad-gummed thing.... Don't cheese out! -tom again. Tom Soriano * sorianot@alpha.montclair.edu ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32FE20E7.33E7@ou.edu> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 19:09:27 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute tape I was rather surprised to see that noone was doing They Might Be Giants for We Might Be Giants, Too.... am I the only one? heather ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 19:35:59 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Random Irving Plaza thoughts. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 9-Feb-97 TMBG: Random Irving Plaza t.. by "Pooh Head Bucket?"@alph > RE: 21st show: If the John/John/drum machine thing is true, > you'll see me explode with delight in the balcony. It would be a > refreshing change of pace. (Plus my begging for Minimum Wage might > come to an end. Wow.) It won't... at least not then. Since Minimum Wage was on Flood, they won't play it on the 21st. That show is only TMBG, Lincoln, and Misc T, and selected random extras (like Kittens, and stuff like that). I hope they play The World's Address, Stand On Your Own Head, and Snowball in Hell, though, so I can complete my live version of Lincoln... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970209214722.006abb3c@mail.ee.net> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 21:47:29 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute tape At 06:53 PM 2/9/97 EDT, Pooh Head Bucket? wrote: > >Incidentally, (and sorry for the second post), PLEASE if you've >reserved a slot on the "We Might Be Giants, Too" compilation send in >your songs! We're all getting antsy and want to hear the dad-gummed >thing.... Don't cheese out! Doh! That reminds me... I've got to finish up my song, and get a string quartet together to do my other song. (speaking of that... can someone tell me the approximate ranges of violin, viola, cello, and bass (if notes I need arent covered by cello range) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:21:50 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32FE07AE.4973@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: [Fwd: TMBG: Linnell/Saturday Night Live] Eric W Rutherford wrote: > Jesus! These people need lives, but of course we know what TMBG fans are > like. It's sad really. We should try and help them out maybe. All most of > them, males and females, need is a good ladyfriend. The trials and > tribulations of disaffected youth can be so difficult sometimes. > > - e. Err... Are we supposed to be getting these? Sorry If I'm confused Jeremy Mathews http://members.tripod.com/~Jeremyly/index.html ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 09:26:38 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32FE08CE.3372@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Band Expirations Larry Santiago wrote: > > Is there some kind of rule that TMBG has, that the back-up band members > cannot stay for more than 3 years? > > Tony Maimone - 1992-1995 > Brian Doherty - 1993-1996 > Eric Shammmarhorn - 1996-1996 - not really complaining about this one.... Sorry, I've missed some mail because of details I won't go into and am reading from the news server now, so I may have missed this. When did Brian Doherty leave? And whose this Jim guy? Sorry, Jeremy Mathews http://members.tripod.com/~Jeremyly/index.html > Don't even start on Kurt Hoffman, and the horn players, cause they > weren't on the FS tour except for NYC dates. > > Larry > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:01:56 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows... Message-ID: Well, lessee..if I start walking -now-, and walk about 60 miles a day, I should be there for the show. But then I'd have to mug someone and get their ticket and...*waaaaaaa* This isn't going to work. Okay. If someone's taping that show, please please please make tapes available!! (The other two would be nice, too, but the 21st's the show I want..) I'll..I'll..sell my cat or something. Or maybe my sister. A slightly used fiancee? :) Ah well. Maybe if I win the lottery between now and then... Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:02:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970210000244_1113102290@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: How To Have A TMBG Dream (long) Hello there, Well, after reading countless accounts of many people's lovely TMBG dreams, and hearing many complaints from people who couldn't have them, I decided to do some research and experimentation. Here are a few pointers that I have found to almost always lead to a TMBG dream... 1.. The first step in having a memorable dream is to know you're dreaming. In oreder to know this you have to remind yourself while you're still awake to be on the lookout for any redflags. So, if you want to have a TMBG dream, keep saying to yourself, all day "If I see TMBG tonight, I am dreaming." This way, when you see John & John in your dream, you'll be aware of what's going on. 2.. Think about TMBG and how wonderful it would be to have a TMBG dram in the moments before you fall asleep. Try not to let your mind doddle. Dreams are used as the mind's tool to solve problems through symbolism, and if the problem you face before going to sleep is that you need to have a TMBG dream, then you'll probably have one. 3.. Keep a TMBG album on repeat next to you all night. It doesn't have to be too loud, but this helps immensely. It not only suggests to your sleeping brain.. "TMBG!".. but it provides a link to the real world. Just last night I put "Lincoln" on repeat to test this and in my dream I specifically remember them playing "Pencil Rain" and thinking it was "She's An Angel" at first. This sort of thing really does penetrate your sleeping mind. 4.. Wake up early! The best way to ensure that you remember a dream is to wake up early, so you'll still be in REM sleep. If you don't wake up in this period of time, you probably won't remember much, if any, of the dream. That's why if you wake up multiple times in a night you might remember a very long dream. Also, when you wake up, either write down your dream or call up a friend or something. It'll be much esier to recall later and post on this list. Well, I hope that was at least partially informative. I know that these methods work for many people, including me. In my dream last night I remember thinking that the show I was watching was particularly surreal.... especially when Linnel got stuck behind a gold curtain on stage.. Nick ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 01:33:55 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: Valentine's Day at the Irving Plaza! =) Message-id: <01IF8EGGR082CCL6ZI@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! I'm more excited than ever for the upcoming TMBG shows, I simply can't wait! =) I have a few questions for those of you who were lucky enough to make it to the 2/7 show, if you don't mind! First of all, was security super tight? Also, what is the set up of the IPlaza? Is it big? Does it get really crowded or rough? Is there a place to check bags? (I'll be crashing in NYC for the night, so I'll have a backpack with me!) Um, I think that's everything! =) I'm planning on taping both of the upcoming shows, I'll make sure to send details to the list about trades! =) By the way, is anyone on the list planning on going to the Valentine's Day show? I'd love to hear from you if you are! Only *4* more days! =) (I can't wait to see everyone again!) sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-40 *****************************