Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-43 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 43 Thursday, 13 February 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: SIMPSONS!!!!!!!!!! (none) Re: TMBG: Singing n' such TMBG: flans Re: TMBG: re:tmbg cartoon TMBG: The Bruce Lee Band Re: TMBG: tmbg cartoon Re: TMBG: Singing n' such TMBG: Wooga! TMBG: survey TMBG: me Re: TMBG: Wooga! Re: TMBG: Wooga! TMBG: Wacky survey thingy TMBG: Tribute tape? TMBG: Re:cartoon Re: TMBG: Wooga! Re: TMBG: me Re: TMBG: Tribute tape? TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: Ska correction RE: TMBG: Tribute tape? TMBG: we/fave/chats/pizza pops/desk/girl/album/mundanes/cow kid TMBG: Humble Request TMBG: OMLT FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... RE: TMBG: we/fave/chats/pizza pops/desk/girl/album/mundanes/cow kid Re: TMBG: OMLT TMBG: Flans-tastic! TMBG: Mono Puff/Dream(TMBG related, I promise! Kinda Long, tho) TMBG: Sir, my Survey... Re: TMBG: Humble Request TMBG: survey thing TMBG: Kenyon calamity Re: TMBG: The Bruce Lee Band TMBG: Mister Stupid Questions Re: TMBG: Singing n' such Re: TMBG: Humble Request Re: TMBG: Ska correction TMBG: survey thing TMBG: THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS TMBG: Idiotic things Re: TMBG: survey thing TMBG: RE: Survey TMBG: I got your ride, Duplex Planet TMBG: list idea Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: flanstastic!/kenyon/adventures in stereo/survey Re: TMBG: Wooga! Re: TMBG: Wooga! Re: TMBG: Humble Request Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: TMBG Video Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Re: TMBG: Wooga! TMBG: Random Stuff.... Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: SURRRVAY WANKO PANKO Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... TMBG: Fwd: NOT A JOKE - Please take immediate action - Deadline is tomorrow TMBG: my damn survey Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:38:04 -0800 (PST) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: SIMPSONS!!!!!!!!!! Message-ID: I watched that episode today... it doesn't look like an Apollo 18 shirt. It's just a white shirt with a pink squid on it. ;) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Feb 97 23:11:49 UT From: "Kathy and Ryan " Message-Id: >All these people whos ay that they are not anti-Eric have way too >much fuckin time on their hands. Shut the fuck up you gay assholes Makes me wanna start singing Red Hot Chilli peppers.... "Fuck you, asshole. You homophobic redneck dick" sorry, i'm not actually interested in mindless flaming >and learn to like it. I have been a fan for 7 years and I'm tired of >TMBG fans they are a bunch of little fuckin pussies. The type that >f >the bully next store wet with a water gun they are the ones who >fuckin scream and cry and yell about how there not allowed to get >wet. Could someone enlighten me on what this means??? >Bottom line- most TMBG male fans are just a bunch of pussies >who can't get girls and whose mommies cut their toenails. Um, no. > All girl >fans belong in the beat rebellion or they are just little fucking 14 >year olds who get a ride to and from the shows. What's wrong with that? > Eric must stay get lives and rock on. actually, i like Eric >See you pussies at Irving. I hope not >Michael >P.S. You shitheads are the reason why there has never been a >TMBG >mosh pit. and proud of it >How about getting into a few wild bands ya primadonna DICK >JAWS. I don't know what you consider wild, but i like Metallica, Soundgarden, and NIN, and yet still feel no need to attack other fans Ryan the long-winded .sigless wonder ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702121321.IAA26493@nfs1.jvnc.net> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Singing n' such Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:27:53 -0500 > Actually, what I heard about Flans and his falsetto is that they > actually sped up his voice for, I want to say, She Was A Hotel... the new > version. In reality, he can sing high, but not that high. On the album, they sped up Linnell's voice. Live, Flansburgh sings it falsetto. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9702121431.AA18906@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:18:02 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: flans >Actually, what I heard about Flans and his falsetto is that they >actually sped up his voice for, I want to say, She Was A Hotel... the new >version. In reality, he can sing high, but not that high. Actually, Linnell sings the album (well, not *album* version really, because it was an ep, but oh well) version, and they sped his voice up. Flans, however, was the one chosen to sing the part live, and he did quite sing like a girl on that one... Non-TMBG: Are there any meat puppets fans on the list? I've recently got into them, just bought the 'Forbidden Places' album, the one with the original of 'whirlpool' on it. Any suggestions for my next album? (I've only heard this one & too high to die.) Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd~~~~> Penguins have a very odd method of telling jokes. First the penguin scampers up to you. Next he relates to you the most absurd tale he can imagine. After a minute of looking blankly at you, the penguin laughs hideously while frolupping about in a most ridiculus fashion. Finally, he most solemnly whacks you over the head with a frozen otter. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:58:09 -0500 (EST) From: "(*)" Subject: Re: TMBG: re:tmbg cartoon Message-ID: sorry...I have only heard the album once, so I guess I really had no right to mention it in first place. Olivia ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212151255.00665440@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:12:55 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: The Bruce Lee Band Re: The Bruce Lee Band 'She's An Angel' cover... You can get a copy of it @: ftp://ftp.tmbg.org/pub/songs/pink/angel.wav (Be sure to turn your speakers up...it's not that loud.) Since Skankin' Pickle is doing a cover of She's An Angel for the tribute tape, I 'd imagine that it wouldn't be much different (if at all) from that version (like the last letter said, SP's sax player is TBLB's lead singer). Anyway...ttyl, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212151507.00672c2c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:15:07 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg cartoon I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but there has been a TMBG cartoon! Remember the intro to the Hotel Detective video? :> TTYL, -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:50:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212115004_-2110885660@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Singing n' such In a message dated 97-02-12 11:48:13 EST, you write: << << > Actually, what I heard about Flans and his falsetto is that they > actually sped up his voice for, I want to say, She Was A Hotel... the new > version. In reality, he can sing high, but not that high. On the album, they sped up Linnell's voice. Live, Flansburgh sings it falsetto. >> This reminds me that I read somewhere where Linnell says the "chorus" at the end of "Turn Around" is all him, with his voice speeded up and recorded several times over. I just think it sounds so cool! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: TMBG: Wooga! Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:05:05 -0800 Heya folks! Just a few things.... - Anyone have any of the newer They Might Be Videos, or know how I could get ahold of them? - Anyone going to the They Might Be Concert in the Seattle area 3/10/97 at The Showbox? - Wooga! - Just wanted to remind you all to check the Internet DIAL-A SONG at http://www.tmbg.com/dial/dial.html regularly, since it changes at least once a week. - Also, make sure you have their "movie" ( http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/video/broom.mov ) play every time your computer starts up! (: - Also looking for any of their singles other than Why Does The Sun Shine and Sexxy. Wheeee! think that's about it. Jesse McClusky DNRC Title: Purveyor of All Things Virtual ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3301B8DC.6AE7@ou.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:34:36 +0000 From: Heather Tinkler Organization: The University of Oklahoma Subject: TMBG: survey wow.. I'm really boring.. but go and rent Harold and Maude, anyway!!! > * ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Name:Heather > E-mail:bluecanary@ou.edu > Gender:female > Age:19 > City:Norman > State/Country:OK > Occupation:student that needs to get a job > > Three Favorite Bands: 1.They Might Be Giants > (only 3) 2.XTC > 3.The Sugarplastics > > Three Favorite Movies: 1.Harold and Maude > (only 3) 2.Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas > 3.Harold and Maude > > Favorite Author:Lewis Carroll > Favorite TV Show:Caroline in the City (I, myself don't understand my adiction.. but if Richard married Caroline and took her name it would be my boyfriends name! Wowie zow! > Favorite TMBG album:Apollo 18 > Favorite TMBG song (only 1):Ana NG.. made me a MAJOR fan.. > Favorite Comic Strip:Far Side > * --------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9702121744.AA11107@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: me Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:44:24 -0500 (EST) Well, let me give a go at this, > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Name: Matt James > E-mail: mjames@envy.loyola.edu > > Gender: male > Age: 22 > City: Baltimore > State/Country: Maryland > Occupation: Techical Associate (or at least it says so on my business card) > > Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants > (only 3) 2. Moxy Fruvous > 3. The Lightning Seeds > (god that was difficult) > Three Favorite Movies: 1. Dead Poet's Society > (only 3) 2. Carlito's Way (or Back to the Future II) > 3. Star Wars: A New Hope > (I'm sure there's something I missed) > Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien > Favorite TV Show: Brisco County Jr. > Favorite TMBG album: Apollo 18 > Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Rhythm Section Want Ad > Favorite Comic Strip: Bloom County > --------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:21:57 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > - Anyone going to the They Might Be Concert in the Seattle area 3/10/97 > at The Showbox? I don't know who you are Jesse McClusky, but I love you. I have been slacking off and not checking tmbg.com, so I didn't know about the Seattle date. You almost gave me a heart attack. I'll be there! And maybe in Portland the next day...? -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:56:06 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Message-ID: A few minutes ago on Wed, 12 Feb 1997, I wrote: > date. You almost gave me a heart attack. I'll be there! And maybe in I know, I know, I meant "I'm having a heart attack, I'm having a...heart attack." That's what happens when you have vivarin for breakfast. Yeehaw! -Lani O:) BTW, I'm 22 in earth solar years. Couldn't tell, could ya? lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I carry that bucket with pride -Junior Brown --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212185844.0067d078@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:58:44 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Wacky survey thingy Name: Adam Tyner E-mail: ctyner@awod.com Gender: male Age: 18 City: Clemson currently, but I really live in Charleston, SC State/Country: South Carolina Occupation: Student (CS major) Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. "Weird Al" Yankovic 3. Barenaked Ladies (Mono Puff is a close to being on there too...) Three Favorite Movies: 1. Return of the Killer Tomatoes (only 3) 2. UHF 3. Star Wars Favorite Author: Douglas Adams Favorite TV Show: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Favorite TMBG album: Lincoln Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes Favorite Comic Strip: Either Foxtrot or Dilbert...not sure which /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 11:16:08 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: Tribute tape? Message-Id: Ok, I'm confused...what is the tribute tape? Is it being made by people on the list? I'd love to contribute to it (I can play WDTSS on my accordian). Liam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:12:17 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: Re:cartoon >> Yes, it is very unfortunate that many people attribute the > success of They to the premonition that Linnel is the brains > and that Flans goes along with everything that Linnel does. Um, how do they know? Do they know them personally? Sure, John Linnell is brilliant. That does not mean Jack Flansburgh isn't. To the contrary- listen to Mono Puff. Flans is, if not a genius, then at least a very clever musician. > These people need to realize that it took both Johns to make > this superior group, and if I know anything about groups, > everyone works or nothing gets accomplished. Hats off to the > both of them. You other people, please...spare me. Thanks!:) I can only agree. mouse ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:26:10 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212142417_-1341514744@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Do any of you guys no when They are coming to Chicago ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:44:50 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: me Message-Id: > Might as well put in my 3 cents (inflation, you know...) > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > Name: Tarnished Silence > > E-mail: prallena@martin.luther.edu > > > > Gender: male > > Age: 19 > > City: Decorah > > State/Country: Iowa (no, we do NOT grow potatoes) > > Occupation: Campus Maintenence for Work Study, else, Student > > > > Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants > > (only 3) 2. Jars of Clay > > 3. Micheal W. Smith > > > > Three Favorite Movies: 1. The Rock > > (only 3) 2. SpaceBalls > > 3. Star Wars: Trilogy > > > > Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien > > Favorite TV Show: Mystery Science Theatre 3000 > > Favorite TMBG album: Flood > > Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Dead > > Favorite Comic Strip: Bloom County > > ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212193129.00673174@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:31:29 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute tape? At 11:16 AM 2/12/97 -0800, you wrote: >Ok, I'm confused...what is the tribute tape? Is it being made by people >on the list? I'd love to contribute to it (I can play WDTSS on my accordian). It's being made by a ton of people, including some of us on the list. I'm doing a bizarre rendition of Toddler Hiway with the sound of kids playing, screeching tires, kazoos, and slide whistles. :> Check out this page for more info: http://home.ml.org/tmbg TTYL, -Adam "Bereft" Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970212144103.006b3438@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:41:06 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... I'll cc: a copy to the list, cause there are probably other people thinking the same thing. At 09:32 AM 2/12/97 -0800, 'Honey Bunny' N Olson wrote: > >Hi. If you have a second, could you tell me a couple of things about the >shirt designs before I vote? 1) What happened to the Don Quixote design? It's copyrighted (or something). >2) Are all of these designs on one side of the shirt only? I saw one >design posted somewhere else -- the one with the tickets -- and on the >other side was the artist's re-creation of the #13 lady: "I took off the >intellectuals...and put on there may be giants." Is that still part of the >shirt? Um... There are two sides. These are all the back (?). Once one is voted on, or before then, the authors of the designs can make something for the front of it. >3)When is the voting deadline? whenever. How soon do you want a t-shirt? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212200458.0069f60c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:04:58 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: OMLT questions... At 02:41 PM 2/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >> >>Hi. If you have a second, could you tell me a couple of things about the >>shirt designs before I vote? 1) What happened to the Don Quixote design? > >It's copyrighted (or something). You might want to change the form accordingly. The form lists 5 shirts to choose from, and there are only 4 choices. This might confuse some people... >>3)When is the voting deadline? > >whenever. How soon do you want a t-shirt? It might be a good idea to set a deadline...like the end of Feb. or Mar. or something? Remember everyone -- vote for #4. It may not be the best design--but it's mine. :> (It looks a lot better as a full-size BMP, which you can get from http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/tmbgart/omlt.zip -- and it's only 155K!) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:11:44 -0800 Sent this off to Bill Tatalovich, but I s'pose y'all wanna see it too... (: >Name: Jesse McClusky >E-mail: thought@weblink.org (my own site), jesse.mcclusky@boeing.com, >thought@eskimo.com > >Gender: Male >Age: 22 >City: Kirkland >State/Country: Washington / USA Occupation: Systems/LAN Administrator (for Boeing) > (also a programmer and physicist, just not professionally at the >moment) > >Three Favorite Bands: 1.TMBG (of course!) > (only 3) 2.Life Like Feel > 3.Tori Amos > >Three Favorite Movies: 1.Forest Gump > (only 3) 2.Groundhog's Day > 3.Better Off Dead > >Favorite Author:It's a toss up between Robert Jordan and David Eddings >Favorite TV Show:Babylon 5 >Favorite TMBG album:Their first (self-titled) >Favorite TMBG song (only 1):Hall of Heads >Favorite Comic Strip:Red Meat Jesse and his pet Squiggle ("I am Squiggle of Wooga! Resistance is Purple! You will be hugged!") ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3302426C.502A@swbell.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:21:32 -0800 From: Num Lock Organization: Aardvarks Against Apartheid Subject: TMBG: Ska correction Actually, that would be "Dill" records, of pickle fame. Tonight I'm going to see the BEST of the Dill bands, MU330. For any of you TMBG fans interested in broadening your musical horizons, check out some ska (and I ain't talkin No Doubt) You'll find the wacked out lyrics and off-beat instrumentation that make Them so cool. Or check out the Violent Femmes (old school!) or Ben Folds Five, all pretty much appeal to our kind of listener. Gettin' off the soap box... Josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: Tribute tape? Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:47:25 -0800 Speaking of the tribute tape, I'm sorta toying with writing a They tribute song for it. Got my own sampling / etc software/hardware setup at home, so could do the whole song myself (or with some friends if I need more voices than my own). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the stop-date for it is sometime in April. Don't recall who's doing it though, or what format I should send it in... Jesse, maker of musical things. > ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:02:17 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212160157_-1006396925@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: we/fave/chats/pizza pops/desk/girl/album/mundanes/cow kid gee, my subj header looks like a set list rather than a subject header. ;) >I came up with this incredible idea for the tribute album, but >I can't get hold of a choir to sing it. > > The selection will be 'Theme From We Might Be Giants, Too" >and it would be a cover of "Theme From Flood" with this >changed line: Cool idea! I bet mine is far fetched, but, you know how that track is done by people who aren't tmbg -- i think it'd be cool if someone, like stood outside after/before a TMBG show with a recorder, and got John + John to do it. They probably won't, but I think it's worth a shot...? >Yeah. Everyone is always praising Linnnell so much, but it >seems we either come down on Flansy or just are indifferent >to him. Maybe that's the source of his attitude problem. :\ Or maybe it's *because* of his attitude problem. Either way, I love both their material. In TMBG and solo. I only deem Linnell my fave because he's so gosh darn cute (and I love his vocabulary... 8)). Otherwise, I couldn't choose. And I can't choose. I love them both. If you think Flans is ~just there~ or something, GET a copy of Hello the Band and/or Mono Puff, then try to say that he's a lame musician. You can't. They're both teriffic and amazingly talented musicans. >It would be cool if for once both johns were there rather than >just one or the other. Now I've been to one w/ Flans and one >with linnell. Same here, on AOL. Actually, I couldn't make it to the Flans one (past my bed time ), but I made it to the Linnell one. I have logs of them in fact if any of you non-AOL'ers want them, not having the access to Spin Online. Let me know if you want copies. I think I have to dig up the Flans one, it's on a disk somewhere...My friend logged it for me. >Pizza Pops Qu'est-que c'est? >Things on my desk at this moment: Cool idea . Me? Setlist from 12/29 show (THE actual setlist my sister got) because I was listening to that tape (thanks Fran! ;)), green basket filled as full as it can be with computer disks, stereo remote (listening to WBER!), and no cd's for once (!). >If you think he sounds like a girl on that one, I read that Flans >sings "Since You've Joined the Corporation" on the Hello the >Band cd, and, well, if you've heard that one, you know what I >mean! Hee heee.. I agree, Kay! :) But I just want to know what he's singing.. "Truth of lust"? "True of lies"? >The record will be done by the summer? Are they gonna wait >2 years after that to release it?! Prolly 2 years. You see, 'Then' is being postponed till at least March (if we're lucky), so as not to take attention away from FS. I tell you I'd be highly surprised if they had a new relase come summer. And especially being on Elektra. I'd say January '98 at the very earliest . On a side note: anyone recommend a Mundanes cd at all? Are they even available, or are they, hard to find? After getting a Frank Black cd without even knowing Linnell was on it, that was a pleasant surprise.. But that got me thinking to get this stuff purposely if I know of it... And - My 7 year old sister's listening to Lincoln in honour of today , and she said "Hey! I was singing Cowtown in the bathroom line today at school!" ("Goin' to the bathroom, that's where I will pee..." ......Shut up, sarah..) sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org "I really don't want to rock him at all." - J. Flans, 12/29/96 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970212160256.0068b0d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:02:58 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Humble Request DON'T SEND YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS TO THE LIST!!!!!! Thanks, and have a nice day :) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970212161025.006896ec@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:10:26 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: OMLT At 03:04 PM 2/12/97 -0500, Adam Tyner wrote: >You might want to change the form accordingly. The form lists 5 shirts to >choose from, and there are only 4 choices. This might confuse some people... Is anyone confused by this? No? I'll fix it anyway... >>>3)When is the voting deadline? >>whenever. How soon do you want a t-shirt? >It might be a good idea to set a deadline...like the end of Feb. or Mar. or >something? OK, the Official Official Mailing List T-Shirt Voting Deadline is... (drumroll please...) Febuary 31!!! But seriously folks, When do YOU want the voting deadline to be? My job is to please YOU, the list members. Flood my box with mail saying what date you want as a deadline and why (500 words or less). Out of all the essay submissions I'll pick the best one and THAT will be the deadline! On the other hand, lets just say the deadline is March 3 -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: FW: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:15:08 -0800 > Whoops, left out somthing.... >Occupation: Systems/LAN Administrator (for Boeing) >> (also a programmer and physicist, just not professionally at the >>moment) ^^ Insert musician and fiction author in there too. >Jesse and his pet Squiggle >("I am Squiggle of Wooga! Resistance is Purple! You will be hugged!") > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "McClusky, Jesse" Subject: RE: TMBG: we/fave/chats/pizza pops/desk/girl/album/mundanes/cow kid Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:43:28 -0800 >---------- >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com[SMTP:KdsInThHal@aol.com] >Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 1997 1:02 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: we/fave/chats/pizza pops/desk/girl/album/mundanes/cow kid > >gee, my subj header looks like a set list rather than a subject header. ;) > >>I came up with this incredible idea for the tribute album, but >>I can't get hold of a choir to sing it. >> >> The selection will be 'Theme From We Might Be Giants, Too" >>and it would be a cover of "Theme From Flood" with this >>changed line: >Cool idea! I bet mine is far fetched, but, you know how that track is done by >people who aren't tmbg -- i think it'd be cool if someone, like stood outside >after/before a TMBG show with a recorder, and got John + John to do it. They >probably won't, but I think it's worth a shot...? Hmm... Not sure if I could pull that off without being able to notify them beforehand... May try anyway... (: However, if I can't, I may be able to get together a few people and "play" a bit with the voice samples. Jesse, Sampler of Silly Things > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212214720.00665cd0@awod.com> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:47:20 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT At 04:10 PM 2/12/97 -0500, you wrote: >Is anyone confused by this? No? I'll fix it anyway... Most people aren't, I'm sure, but some of the people I e-mailed about it were. Oh well... >On the other hand, lets just say the deadline is March 3 Works for me. :> TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702122158.QAA21439@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:56:31 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: TMBG: Flans-tastic! Sounds like a cheesy 70's ad slogan: "Check out _Unsupervised_, the new disc from Mono Puff--it's Flanstastic!" Putting forth some propositions regarding Srs. Flansburgh and Linnell: I'm convinced that John Flansburgh is the heart of the band, while Linnell might be more of the brain. I know, dopey proposition, but do you really think a guy who comes across as introspective and even SHY as Linnell would score a record deal? Perhaps 10 years ago he was a lot more into it, but even on stage in recent tours, Linnell seems disinterested as often as he is excited. I for one was encouraged to read in the chat transcript that Linnell was doubtful even something as drastic as being dropped by Elektra would break up the band--I continuously worry that the next show pushes Linnell into the studio for good. Can't you see Flansburgh ambushing record execs and indulging excited fan requests much more easily than Linnell? His gusto, for lack of a better word, is the engine that drives the Giants. None of this is intended to favor one or the other. They both have clear strengths. They are equal partners, so it seems. They've been together as long as some of you have been alive. They're prolific and engaging, clever and entertaining. What a pleasure it is that they're around. Sarah says: >>The record will be done by the summer? Are they gonna wait >>2 years after that to release it?! >Prolly 2 years. You see, 'Then' is being postponed till at >least March (if we're lucky), so as not to take attention away >from FS. I tell you I'd be Isn't _Then_ a retrospective/reissue? And on top of that, a Bar None release? While I can see the logic of Bar None holding off so that we all can earn enough for the retrospective on the heels of _Factory Showroom, I don't see the reverse happening. Even though most of us will buy _Then_, the casual fan won't. New product commands the shelves, so it seems Elektra's only concern is issuing too much NEW product too fast. I'd think the interest generated by the Bar None release would only encourage a new disc release later this year. Peace, Brett 27 ***Now playing: Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Soul to Squeeze" ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 14:01:33 From: "The Mouse O'OKC" Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff/Dream(TMBG related, I promise! Kinda Long, tho) Good day, listies! Mouse here. Been an eventful week. I got the MouseWorld site up and running (this time for good-let's hope). I finally got a copy of "Unsupervised" this week. I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, I LOVE IT!!! I don't care what all you pro-Linnell people say, Flansy's a very good lyricist. (Not overly intelligent,but interesting and clever.) Mono Puff almost revives my old crush on him. Ok, now on to the dream. I was at home, and running terribly behind. I was running around like mad trying to get everything done because I was giong to a show (Museum I think) and I had to be ready. Well, I was trying to dye my hair (?) when the doorbell rang. My mother had to get it while I washed the dye out of my hair. I looked in the mirror and my hair looked great except it was now "Society Blonde". I was also dressed in a pink silk slipdress and high heels. I looked great-like I'd lost 30 pounds. It was weird because I'd never be blonde. Ever. And no way in a million years could I look like that. I realized then that it was a dream, but I didn't wake up. It was one of those dreams where I could control it and boy did I revel in it. On to the doorbell. Mom got it. I'm not sure who it was but I didn't like him at all. Since I knew this was a dream that I could control, I made John Linnell appear in his place. (Nicely cleaned up, in a suit, and carrying flowers.) He asked me if I was ready to go, and I said yeah. I then asked how I looked. "You look lovely. However, I liked your natural color better." Presto, I was a brunette again. We walked out to the car. I drove. We went to Medina's, a very happenin' coffeehouse. Apparently there was a huge, prom-like party going on, except we were allowed to drink beer. I then asked why he was my date for this, because I'd never asked him. I didn't even remember meeting him. "Actually, I'm doing this as a favor for Jack",he said. "Isn't he married?" i asked. "Well, yeah, that's the point. You wrote him a letter in 1994 asking him to your prom. He would have loved to go, but we were in Europe. So here I am." I was very confused and felt I was losing control of the dream. "But why? What is this? My prom was three years ago. I remember. I went withj my boyfriend." He explained "You went to your prom. But you forget that your school always holds two- the regular one and the cool one. The cool one was postponed until further notice. Further notice is now." Jack flounced over to the table with his wife. He looked good-his hair was long and he was wearing sunglasses and a tux. His wife was about my height, red-headed with horn-rimmed glasses, very thin and dressed in a black velvet slipdress, fishnets, and silver Docs. " I'm glad you made it" he said and hugged me fiercely "you look great. Kinda fashionable, but fabulous. Have you met Daphne?" And then Beck's "Loser" came blaring very suddenly over the speakers....which was really my alarm going off. Oh well. I did drift back into sleep for about 10 minutes and everyone was drunk and John Linnell kissed me. Then I woke up again. Now, I have mulled over this dream all day. 1) Why do I dream I'm this blonde dreamchick? I like myself as I am. 2) Why does linnell pop up in my dreams as the object of my desire? When I'm awake I don't conciously feel this way. He was never my favorite. yet i have all these romantic dreams about him. 3) Why does Linnell know so much about me in my dreams? I mean, he knows stuff my mom doesn't. Creepy. Sorry this post is so long. Please don't flame me, I beg you. Do feel free to analyze my dream, though. mouse ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:01:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212170132_-1341495472@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Sir, my Survey... Name: Joel Gedalius E-mail: yoel97@aol.com Gender: male Age: 14 Location: North Woodmere, Long Island, New York, USA, North America, Earth, SolarSystem, Milky Way, Universe Occupation: Student (8th grade..I feel so young!) Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Alanis Morrissette Three Favorite Movies: 1. Daylight (only 3) 2. While you were sleeping 3. don't know Favorite Author: none Favorite TV Show: Drew Carrey Favorite TMBG album: FS/Flood Favorite TMBG song (only 1): New York City Favorite Comic Strip: Garfield (give me my lasagna!) Home Page: http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:13:20 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212171318_-1341495456@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Humble Request I allready sent mine. It didn't reach the list yet. Sorry, Joel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:57:18 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: TMBG: survey thing surveys are fun, even for lurkers... Name: Michael Allen E-mail: mja4@cornell.edu Gender: male Age: 21 City: Ithaca State/Country: NY Occupation: webmaster, programmer, student, etc... Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Allstonians 3. Bjork Three Favorite Movies: 1. The Empire Strikes Back (only 3) 2. The Great Escape 3. Life of Brian Favorite Author: William Gibson, Issac Asimov Favorite TV Show: The Black Adder Favorite TMBG album: Apollo 18 Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Destination Moon Favorite Comic Strip: Dilbert ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970212222330.0066e9c4@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:23:30 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Kenyon calamity Well, I wrote Kenyon College to see what they knew about the They concert being held there. I asked about times, where to get tickets, how much, etc. Here's their reply: >>Kelley-- >> >>Thank you for your inquiry to the Kenyon Guest Book. >>They Might Be Giants is coming to Kenyon, but it is >>not open to the public. It is a special event for >>the Kenyon community only. >> >>Again, thank you for your visit to the Kenyon page. >> >>Jennifer Johns >>Public Affairs BOOOOOOOOOOOO! This sucks! After this stop They head off to Australia and Japan. Hmmmmmm. Do you think it'd be too much trouble for Them to drive to Cincinnati to do a small private concert for me before They leave? Yeah, only in my dreams. Maybe sour milk and raw bread dough before bed would do it . . . :) Anywho, so I'm taking their response to mean "No Kenyon College ID, no ticket." Is this how these "private" concerts work? Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ | "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you." | /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702122245.QAA11537@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Bruce Lee Band Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:40:17 -0600 > > Re: The Bruce Lee Band 'She's An Angel' cover... > > You can get a copy of it @: > > ftp://ftp.tmbg.org/pub/songs/pink/angel.wav > > (Be sure to turn your speakers up...it's not that loud.) > > Anyway...ttyl, > > -Adam > /----=========================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ > The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 Thank you for pointing this out! Just this minute listened to it... I'm a huge fan of She's an Angel, and I was VEEEERY pensive at the thought of someone other that TMBG doing it, but... It's okay! I like it. ..Nowhere NEAR A Johnnie, but it's good. I'd like to see TMBG do that song vocally, with that kind of guitar explosion though. Mike "I'd slaughter a village for TMBG" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702122300.RAA11883@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: Mister Stupid Questions Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:55:10 -0600 I'm no technoGod. But, I was wondering (as I just found the animated TMBG cursors..love the flood).. the little Tony Millionaire Drunken Bird, that is an animated GIF on the TMBG.COM site... Could that be transformed into a cursor? Just Nogginering Mike "SACRIFICE YOUR BABIES TO THE DUAL JOHNS !" Leffel maleffel@ncfcomm.com (* Don't really sacrifice your babies.) ------------------------------ From: SquirlHead@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:53:48 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212175347_-1240955493@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Singing n' such >Actually, what I heard about Flans and his fallsetto is that they actually sped up his voice for, I want to say, She Was a Hotel... the new version. Well, it was actually Linnell sped up on the Back to Skull ep-- Flans only does it at concerts. -Daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:11:29 -0500 (EST) From: SPYDIIR Subject: Re: TMBG: Humble Request Message-id: Why not? I think it's kind of interesting to see a little info about these people who share my inbox. On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Evan Chakroff wrote: > DON'T SEND YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS TO THE LIST!!!!!! > > Thanks, and have a nice day :) > -- > Evan Chakroff > The Internet Mystery Spot > http://spot.home.ml.org > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 16:00:21 -0500 From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: Ska correction At 5:21 PM -0500 2/12/97, Num Lock wrote: >Skankin' Pickle and a couple other good bands> > >Actually, that would be "Dill" records, of pickle fame. Tonight I'm >going to see the BEST of the Dill bands, MU330. For any of you TMBG fans >interested in broadening your musical horizons, check out some ska (and I >ain't talkin No Doubt) if you're really looking for good ska try, Moon Ska Records, out of NYC. they have the best Boston and NYC bands such as the Allstonians, Bim Skala Bim, Scoflaws, The Toasters and such... Trippy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:13:41 PST Subject: TMBG: survey thing Message-ID: <19970212.171858.3454.31.bigtmbgfan@juno.com> From: bigtmbgfan@juno.com (tim p bakula) i barely ever write but surveys are fun so probably no one out there knows me so i shall go and stuff Name: Tim Bakula E-mail: bigtmbgfan@juno.com Gender: male Age: 16 City: St. Louis State/Country: MO Occupation: student, cook/dishwasher (yeah!) Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Ween 3. Self Three Favorite Movies: 1. Spaceballs (only 3) 2. uhf 3. ugh, cant think of one Favorite Author: none...dont like reading Favorite TV Show: The Simpsons Favorite TMBG album: Miscellaneous t Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Ant Favorite Comic Strip: Far Side ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:28:46 -0500 Message-Id: From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott A. Dodson) Subject: TMBG: THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS ................................................................................ Hey, I wrote in the other day, regarding the new double CD. I was the one who mentioned that my friend gave me a copy of the SAMPLER which Restless Records sent to her. I have received a few questions on this, so I want to clarify: The CD I have is not the 72 song CD which is coming out soon. It is simply a SAMPLER, sort of like a PROMO. It has a few selections from the larger cd. It's like a teaser. Usually, such a cd would wind up at a record store, but instead, my friend gave it to me because she knew I liked 'em. So, to clarify, I do not have an advanced copy of the actual THEN: THE EARLIER YEARS CD, just a shorter promo for that CD. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <330270C1.5813@fastrans.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 17:39:13 -0800 From: Aarti Organization: milk Subject: TMBG: Idiotic things Why the hell are people so intent on telling everyone else what to like, and if they like something else then they are an asshole? When does this bullshit stop? Come off it. I am really sick of hearing this shit over and over again. I thought that this was a list for tmbg fans, but it seems to be a list where everyone goes off on everybody else. To Michael- FUCK YOU,BITCH. Sorry everyone, had to get that out....I know that was rather hypocritical of me, to say that to Michaelafter my little speech, but what can I say? I'm just a 17 year old who strongly dislikes ignorant people. ------------------------------ From: "Andrew Magnusson" Message-Id: <9702121858.ZM33390@magritte.its.rpi.edu> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:58:14 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: survey thing On Feb 12, 3:57pm, Trippy wrote: > surveys are fun, even for lurkers... Heh... good call. :) > Name: Andrew Magnusson > E-mail: magnua@rpi.edu > > Gender: male > Age: 18 > City: Troy > State/Country: NY > Occupation: student, procrastinator, would-be programmer > > Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants > (only 3) 2. Beatles > 3. Pink Floyd > > Three Favorite Movies: 1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail > (only 3) 2. Young Frankenstein > 3. Reservoir Dogs > > Favorite Author: (currently) Edward Gorey :) > Favorite TV Show: MST3k (tho' I haven't seen one in over a year...) > Favorite TMBG album: Apollo 18 > Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Fingertips > Favorite Comic Strip: Far Side (but Dilbert's a very close second) > Also (for those who give a damn, and in no particular order) : Star Wars. Coffee. Ambrose Bierce. Robert Jordan. "Le hussard sur le toit". Nikita (VF). Tom Petty. Mozart. Phish. Linux. H.P. Lovecraft. Enki Bilal. Michael Moorcock. J.R.R. Tolkien. Chess. Spike Jones. Weird Al. Sousaphone. T.S. Eliot. Dickens. "Les guignols de l'info". Etc. --Andy Magnusson http://www.rpi.edu/~magnua -- Just Within The Limit! ------------------------------ From: MovieGuy27@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:07:49 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212190726_683900158@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: RE: Survey Alright this is my answers Name: Dan A. Raby E-mail: MovieGuy27@aol.com Gender:Male Age: 27 City: Denver State/Country: Colorado/ USA Occupation: STUDENT/ Photographer Three Favorite Bands: 1. They Might Be Giants (only 3) 2. Barenaked Ladies 3. Anything Eric Clapton Three Favorite Movies: 1. Raiders of the lost Ark (only 3) 2. The Proffessional 3. A Few Good Men Favorite Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Favorite TV Show: Miami Vice Favorite TMBG album: Flood Favorite TMBG song (only 1): The Statue Got me High Favorite Comic Strip: Calvin and Hobbs ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:17:47 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212191742_1861898966@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I got your ride, Duplex Planet Hello 41- Joyus news! I will be going to the TMBG show on 2/21 at the Irving Plaza. Yay! It will be so beautiful. See all of the listees and cows in their fine moments. It will be a triumph. Speaking of which, I will also have room in the car for as many people as I can cram in. It is a two seater Geo Metro convertable, but I can improvize. Tell me if anyone relativly close to I-95 needs a ride. I am not sure what day I will be going though. It may be as early as Wednesday, and it might be Tuesday. I also might be driving through your part of town at an odd hour too. But if these are all fine with you, be sure to drop me an email. I know I'll be bored, and will LOVE company. Oh yeah. I saw Duplex Planet (of Hello fame) last Friday. They were incredible. If anyone wants info on them, or to know how the night went, please tell me. I'd be glad to rave. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Corn's pretty good. You gotta chew it a lot, but what the hell! -Duplex Planet ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702130027.TAA17350@one.net> From: "Doug Haas" Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:27:22 +0005 Subject: TMBG: list idea anyone else think we need to start interviewing people before allowing them on the list? I mean, it's okay at first, if you raise a little commotion, it's fun, but after all the crap I've read lately... personal flames shoudln't go to the list. I don't care if you want to flame, just don't send it to everyone. everyone, go to my page!! http://tmbbootlegs.home.ml.org SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!! post on the wwwboard, etc... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:44:58 -0600 (CST) From: "J, the Mysterious" Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Message-Id: On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- > Name: Jamal Rogers > E-mail:rogers > > Gender:Male > Age:17 > City:School-Grinnell,Iowa Home-South Orange > State/Country:New Jersey USA > Occupation:Student > > Three Favorite Bands: 1.Who do you think? > (only 3) 2.Weird Al > 3.Barenaked Ladies > > Three Favorite Movies: 1.Kith:Brain Candy > (only 3) 2.Get On the Bus > 3.Clerks > > Favorite Author:Terry Prattchet > Favorite TV Show:Simpsons > Favorite TMBG album:Truth Or Sandwiches > Favorite TMBG song (only 1):currently Spiralling Shape > Favorite Comic Strip:Over the Hedge > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970212194619.006b7b30@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:46:21 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: flanstastic!/kenyon/adventures in stereo/survey A Virtual Cornucopia Of Messages! Re: TMBG: Flans-tastic! At 04:56 PM 2/12/97 EST, Brett Ballantini wrote: >Even though most of us will buy _Then_, the casual fan won't. I know at least 10 people who have Flood and that's all. They have a mild interest in the band, and something like this (*All* the Pre-Flood stuff in one package) would definitely appeal to them. Re: TMBG: Kenyon calamity At 05:23 PM 2/12/97 -0500, Kelley Kent wrote: >>>Thank you for your inquiry to the Kenyon Guest Book. >>>They Might Be Giants is coming to Kenyon, but it is >>>not open to the public. It is a special event for >>>the Kenyon community only. I have one thing to say about this --> DAMMMMITTT!!!! Are they going to make any more Ohio stops around then, or just fly off across the sea? Maybe I could get into it with a friend... I'd look like a college student if I were a few years older (than I've ever been). Oh well. TMBG: Adventures In Stereo At the chat JL mentioned a new band named Adventures In Stereo. Anyone have any info on them, there's no record of them at CDNOW, are they local somewhere? TMBG: survey What CD's do you have in your CD wallet? (Or changer, or lying scattered around your cd player) Limit to 24. I hate things like this. Please don't respond to this. (If you do just do so in a three or four line thing like at the bottom of a purposeful message) EC, the hypocrite (CDs: Cake-Fashion Nugget,Weezer-Pinkerton,Pulp Fiction,TMBG-FS,Squirrel Nut Zippers-Hot,Ben Folds 5,TMBG-A18,The Presidents Of The USA-II,Spike Jones-Spiked!,BNL-Rock Spectacle,Star Wars Sndtrk,BNL- Gordon,XTC-Skylarking,The Beatles-Revolver,Phish-Billy Breathes,Odds-Good Weird Feeling, TMBG-SEXXY5) -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:21:12 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Message-ID: Try www.tmbg.com in the news, tour dates section. By the way, I must say that DonkeyPlop is one of THE most unique nicks I've ever seen. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 DonkeyPlop@aol.com wrote: > Do any of you guys no when They are coming to Chicago > ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:22:58 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212202137_1146978385@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Thanks, I tried horseplop, but i couldnt get it ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:34:41 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Humble Request Message-ID: > > DON'T SEND YOUR SURVEY ANSWERS TO THE LIST!!!!!! > Why not? I think it's kind of interesting to see a little info about > these people who share my inbox. > Well, I suppose the reason why I'm doing this survey is to do just that--see a little info about the people who "share your inbox." If enough people respond (I have 73 so far), it will be a pretty good indicator of the people here. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:15:34 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Message-Id: Please...mature, sensible people on here only. Thanks. Tarnished Silence 210 ############################################### ## ## ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## ## still alive and there's nothing I ## ## want to do." ## ## -They Might Be Giants ## ## ## ## Under the realism of reality, a ## ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## ## it is beyond your hearing. ## ## ## ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## ## ## ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## ## ## ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## ## orange210@hotmail.com ## ## tsilence@geocities.com ## ## ## ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## ## ## ############################################### On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Aarti wrote: > Why the hell are people so intent on telling everyone else what to like, > and if they like something else then they are an asshole? When does > this bullshit stop? Come off it. I am really sick of hearing this shit > over and over again. I thought that this was a list for tmbg fans, but > it seems to be a list where everyone goes off on everybody else. > > To Michael- FUCK YOU,BITCH. > > Sorry everyone, had to get that out....I know that was rather > hypocritical of me, to say that to Michaelafter my little speech, but > what can I say? I'm just a 17 year old who that is too strong of an emotion to waste on assholes> strongly dislikes > ignorant people. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:27:34 -0500 (EST) From: sPyDiiR Subject: Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Message-id: And I suppose you think all TMBG songs are mature and sensible as well. Hmmmmm.... On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > Please...mature, sensible people on here only. Thanks. > > Tarnished Silence > 210 > > > ############################################### > ## ## > ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## > ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## > ## still alive and there's nothing I ## > ## want to do." ## > ## -They Might Be Giants ## > ## ## > ## Under the realism of reality, a ## > ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## > ## it is beyond your hearing. ## > ## ## > ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## > ## ## > ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## > ## ## > ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## > ## orange210@hotmail.com ## > ## tsilence@geocities.com ## > ## ## > ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## > ## ## > ############################################### > > On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Aarti wrote: > > > Why the hell are people so intent on telling everyone else what to like, > > and if they like something else then they are an asshole? When does > > this bullshit stop? Come off it. I am really sick of hearing this shit > > over and over again. I thought that this was a list for tmbg fans, but > > it seems to be a list where everyone goes off on everybody else. > > > > To Michael- FUCK YOU,BITCH. > > > > Sorry everyone, had to get that out....I know that was rather > > hypocritical of me, to say that to Michaelafter my little speech, but > > what can I say? I'm just a 17 year old who > that is too strong of an emotion to waste on assholes> strongly dislikes > > ignorant people. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:13:46 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Message-ID: i think that that would be a perfectly acceptable conclusion. (sorry for the typing quality, i am holding a hot dog in one hand) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, sPyDiiR wrote: > And I suppose you think all TMBG songs are mature and sensible as well. > Hmmmmm.... > > On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > > > Please...mature, sensible people on here only. Thanks. > > > > Tarnished Silence > > 210 > > > > > > ############################################### > > ## ## > > ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## > > ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## > > ## still alive and there's nothing I ## > > ## want to do." ## > > ## -They Might Be Giants ## > > ## ## > > ## Under the realism of reality, a ## > > ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## > > ## it is beyond your hearing. ## > > ## ## > > ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## > > ## ## > > ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## > > ## ## > > ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## > > ## orange210@hotmail.com ## > > ## tsilence@geocities.com ## > > ## ## > > ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## > > ## ## > > ############################################### > > > > On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Aarti wrote: > > > > > Why the hell are people so intent on telling everyone else what to like, > > > and if they like something else then they are an asshole? When does > > > this bullshit stop? Come off it. I am really sick of hearing this shit > > > over and over again. I thought that this was a list for tmbg fans, but > > > it seems to be a list where everyone goes off on everybody else. > > > > > > To Michael- FUCK YOU,BITCH. > > > > > > Sorry everyone, had to get that out....I know that was rather > > > hypocritical of me, to say that to Michaelafter my little speech, but > > > what can I say? I'm just a 17 year old who > > that is too strong of an emotion to waste on assholes> strongly dislikes > > > ignorant people. > > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:07:47 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 8-Feb-97 TMBG: an attempt to figure .. by Bill Tatalovich@cec.wust OK, I originally responded in private email, but since everyone else is posting to the list... sorry for filling up your inbox with crap to those of you who don't like this :) Name: Lawrence P Solomon E-mail: lps@andrew.cmu.edu Gender: M ("people don't have gender. words have gender. people have sex." :) Age: 20 and 17 days City: Pittsburgh State/Country: PA Occupation: student at CMU Three Favorite Bands: 1. TMBG (never would have guessed :) (only 3) 2. cub 3. "Weird Al" Yankovic (I know I didn't answer this the first time, but I've thought of some) Three Favorite Movies: 1. Spaceballs (only 3) 2. UHF 3. Star Wars Favorite Author: Douglas Adams Favorite TV Show: The Simpsons Favorite TMBG album: John Henry Favorite TMBG song to hear: The Statue Got Me High Favorite TMBG song to play: Subliminal (love the accordion part :) Favorite Comic Strip: Dilbert ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:24:12 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970212210309_-1676251979@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Could the person who has that TMBG Video complication thing please E-mail me. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:00:47 -0600 (CST) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Idiotic things Message-Id: Yes, actually I do. TMBG songs encompass the very fabric of maturity. If you don't think so, why are you here? Tarnished Silence 210 ############################################### ## ## ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## ## still alive and there's nothing I ## ## want to do." ## ## -They Might Be Giants ## ## ## ## Under the realism of reality, a ## ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## ## it is beyond your hearing. ## ## ## ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## ## ## ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## ## ## ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## ## orange210@hotmail.com ## ## tsilence@geocities.com ## ## ## ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## ## ## ############################################### On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, sPyDiiR wrote: > And I suppose you think all TMBG songs are mature and sensible as well. > Hmmmmm.... > > On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > > > Please...mature, sensible people on here only. Thanks. > > > > Tarnished Silence > > 210 > > > > > > ############################################### > > ## ## > > ## "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't ## > > ## done anything that I want, or I'm ## > > ## still alive and there's nothing I ## > > ## want to do." ## > > ## -They Might Be Giants ## > > ## ## > > ## Under the realism of reality, a ## > > ## force resides. Beyond the quiet, ## > > ## it is beyond your hearing. ## > > ## ## > > ## Though you can't hear it, you know it's ## > > ## ## > > ## TARNISHED SILENCE ## > > ## ## > > ## prallena@martin.luther.edu ## > > ## orange210@hotmail.com ## > > ## tsilence@geocities.com ## > > ## ## > > ## http://paul.luther.edu/~prallena ## > > ## ## > > ############################################### > > > > On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Aarti wrote: > > > > > Why the hell are people so intent on telling everyone else what to like, > > > and if they like something else then they are an asshole? When does > > > this bullshit stop? Come off it. I am really sick of hearing this shit > > > over and over again. I thought that this was a list for tmbg fans, but > > > it seems to be a list where everyone goes off on everybody else. > > > > > > To Michael- FUCK YOU,BITCH. > > > > > > Sorry everyone, had to get that out....I know that was rather > > > hypocritical of me, to say that to Michaelafter my little speech, but > > > what can I say? I'm just a 17 year old who > > that is too strong of an emotion to waste on assholes> strongly dislikes > > > ignorant people. > > > > > > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:47:14 -0800 (PST) From: Michelle Subject: Re: TMBG: Wooga! Message-ID: On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, McClusky, Jesse wrote: > - Anyone going to the They Might Be Concert in the Seattle area 3/10/97 > at The Showbox? > WHAT!?!?! Why wasn't I aware of this??? When do tickets go on sale, and how much do they cost... I will make every effort to be there. I'm still upset I had to miss them back in November, but it was either them or Rollins, and Rollins won. Michelle ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:06:57 -0800 (PST) From: Michelle Subject: TMBG: Random Stuff.... Message-ID: Lots of TMBG-type thoughts floating through my head right now... 1. TMBG playing Seattle next month.... YAY!!! 2. Am I the only person who didn't list TMBG as one of my top 3 bands? I feel terrible... often they are in the ranks, but at the moment they are at #4, so I wasn't able to include them on the list. 3. Are there any benevolent Hello Club members who would be willing to share a couple of things with me? I am specifically looking for "Oregon" from State Songs, and whatever Gordan Gano has come out with (is coming out with?) this year... however, I'm feeling very poor at the moment, so can't afford the $100 that would set me back, awesome as the rest of the music may be. 4. In response to the ska stuff, I think TMBG fans should definitely check the ska thing out. However, Violent Femmes are not old school ska. They are, however, another really great band TMBG fans should check out... I would recommend starting with Add It Up (1991-1993) a greatest hits so far compilation of sorts, or Rocks, which is their most recent release and impossibly difficult to come by as far as I can tell (but I have a copy, so who cares :}) 5. this is getting long-winded, so the 5 cd's in the changer right now are: Gag Me With a Spoon - Don't Records celebrates the 1980's Mr. T Experience - "Everyone's Entitled to Their Own Opinion" The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy The Rugburns - Taking the World By Donkey Us and Them - Symphonic Pink Floyd (which doesn't really fit with the rest, but I'm making a dub for my brother's b-day) Michelle ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:34:27 -0600 (CST) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Message-ID: OK, I sent this to Bill Tatalovich, but I guess we're all sharing with the group, so here it is... > > > Name: Tara Weber > > E-mail: 00085244@bigred.unl.edu > > > > Gender: Female > > Age: 21 > > City: Lincoln > > State/Country: Nebraska (don't ever come here if you don't have to, and especially don't come here if you don't get into football) > > Occupation: Slave to Academia > > > > Three Favorite Bands: 1. TMBG > > (only 3) 2. Ben Folds Five > > 3. Frank Black > > > > Three Favorite Movies: 1. Ruben and Ed (has ANYBDOY else out there ever seen this? Does the line "My cat can eat a WHOLE watermelon!" mean anything to anyone else?) > > (only 3) 2. The Graduate > > 3. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me > > > > Favorite Author: Tom Robbins > > Favorite TV Show: Twin Peaks (I'm assuming long-cancelled shows count) > > Favorite TMBG album: Lincoln, or sometimes A18... > > Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Where Your Eyes Don't Go > > Favorite Comic Strip: Anything by Lynda Barry...or, because I can't > seem to let go of the past, The Far Side. :) > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199702130522.XAA20820@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "Mike Leffel" Subject: TMBG: SURRRVAY WANKO PANKO Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:16:10 -0600 You who hate the survey will kill me, but... ****SPOILER SPACE********* ..Maggie shot Mister Burns. Then she drank his 104 year old blood. I want my fly-fly da-da. *************** NAME!: Mike Leffel DESIGNATION: Lord of the Pub Monkeys EMAIL!: maleffel@ncfcomm.com I SMELL LIKE: A disgruntled Nun Rigor Mortis: None, currently. GENDER: Male. Male, Male, Male. And I like comic books and don't have a girlfriend or a good haircut. Go figure. AGE!: 19, 20 in may. FAVORITE KIND OF CAPE: A flowy one. Big. CITY!: Edmund Perilloquey SHOE SIZE!: 14 STATE!: (sigh.) Hades. It's worse than you think, but it is home. NUMBER OF TEETH: Thirty-something. COUNTRY!: *USA!**USA!*USA!*USA!* FAVORITE LAUGH: Maniacal OCCUPATION!: Cartoonist/Menial Laboror as I spiral into relative obscurity as I procrastinate my life away. MY FRIENDS SAY THAT I AM: A blasted bitter old freak with a problem with obsession and procrastination and hate. MY ENEMIES SAY THAT I AM: "STOP HITTING ME WITH THAT STICK! OW! OW! OW!" FAVORITE AUTHOR: Douglas Adams Favorite other Author: L. Frank. Baum Favorite Lima Bean: Teddy McLimabean THREE FAVORITE EXCUSES: (1) Oh, that was *YOUR* wife? (2) Who knew that the isotope was unstable? (3) My pants usually hold a LOT more liquid than *THAT*! THREE FAVORITE BANDS!: (1) The Johns >FLUSH!< (...TMBG) (2) Classical Music that excites me (3) The Batman Theme Song (1989 movie), (animated series) ...and other random things... also R.E.M. Favorite Pair of Pants: The Dirty Minded Pants THREE FAVORITE MOVIES!: (not the definitive list) (1) The Laurel and Hardy movies (2) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (3)..If tey ever make a decent Comic Book movie FAVORITE AUTHOR!: *DUH!* DOUGLAS ADAMS!!!!! WWEEEEEEEHOOOOOO! DOUGLAS ADAMS IS SUPERDANDY! F. Tv Show:THE SIMPSONS!!!!!!! BEST SHOW OUT THERE! Also: Early Edition (this is the best written show out there... I tell you, this is the show to watch. WATCH THIS SHOW! IT'S ON CBS SATURDAYS! ..BTW, if you slap a cape on that guy, it would be the EPITOME of a comic book.. they don't make'm like that though.. ..you know,.. *GOOD*.) Favorite TMBG album: All of them. ALL of them. I think a bucket of spit by John and John and the Band would be better than HOly Water. Holy TMBG Spit. MMMMmmm. Average Time it takes me to frighten away a girl: 5 seconds in person... 18 seconds otherwise. Favorite TMBG song to hear: Perhaps Everything Right Is Wrong again, or She's an Angel, or Birdhouse in your soul, or New York City, or The End Of The Tour, or The Statue Got Me High, or Dinner Bell, or Cowtown, or Purple Toupee, or Misc-T Kiss Me Son Of God, or It's Not My Birthday, or Back To SKull's She Was A Hotel Detective. Favorite Line: By the way, I've been watching you for quite some time! Favorite COmic Strip: Far Side, of course, Calvin and Hobbes of course, DIlbert, Peanuts, Foxtrot, and Citizen Dog. I am sure there are many, many, many others. WHY AM I DOING THIS? God has no Idea. Mike "Mixer, I'm Peter O'toole! I'm here dressed as a Nun!" Leffel Mike "Want to buy a monkey?" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 00:15:02 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: an attempt to figure out who's here... Message-ID: I dimly heard someone somewhere say don't post this to the list, but someone I respect asked me to, so here goes. Besides, I'm the guy responsible for Sexual Innuendo In There's Adventure In Atomic Energy, so I'll post just about anything. Name: Michael Rose E-mail: flippy@yucc.yorku.ca Gender: Male Age: 23 City: Toronto State/Country: Ontario, Canada Occupation: Writer/Filmmaker/Electronics salesperson Three Favorite Bands:1. TMBG (only 3) 2. XTC 3. King Missile Three Favorite Movies:1. Brazil (only 3) 2. Batman 3. 2001 A Space Odyssey Favorite Author: Still in transition. Favorite TV Show: The Simpsons (and the short lived TV Nation) Favorite TMBG album: Almost Yours Rentalworld Favorite TMBG song (only 1): Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head Favorite Comic Strip: Life In Hell Finishing out my top five movies: Aliens, and Evil Dead II. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the new webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* Manos The Hands of Fate was filmed on location in a vacant lot. ------------------------------ From: Spyder850@aol.com Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 00:27:54 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970213002753_1962593813@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Fwd: NOT A JOKE - Please take immediate action - Deadline is tomorrow --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: NOT A JOKE - Please take immediate action - Deadline is tomorrow Date: 97-02-12 10:02:03 EST From: TAZMACK To: TAZMACK From: papasmurff@juno.com (Vincent D Aceto) VERY IMPORTANT Your local telephone company has filed a proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your internet service. (Suggestions say 10 cents per minute) They contend that your usage has or will hinder the operation of the telephone network. Internet usage will greatly diminish if users were required to pay additional per minute charges. The FCC has created an email box for your comments, responses must be received by February 13, 1997. Send your comments to isp@fcc.gov and tell them what you think. Senator Kay Hutchison is a member of the Commerce Committee, which oversees the FCC and telecommunications in general. She can be e-mailed at: senator@hutchison.senate.gov You can also send a FREE FAX to your representative in Washington through the following web site: http://www.igc.apc.org/eic/States.html ( Phone numbers and e-mail listed as well ) Please forward this message on to anyone who cares about America's transition into the Information Age. Ken Weide State Republican parties http://www.fastlane.net/~weide/state.shtml ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 23:29:09 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: my damn survey Message-ID: Hey all-- Just a request from some of us who give a damn (actually, it's just me and fellow Ohioan Evan Chakroff, but hey, you only need one to mean something, right?). As the purveyor (I'm not sure if that's the right word, but I just felt like using that word, so just suffer) of this TMBG survey, I humbly ask that you all just stop sending the survey to the list. If people want to know about it, they'll visit my web page when I've posted the results up there. So CUT IT OUT!!!!! Thanks. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-43 *****************************